Affiliation: University of Sydney
- Machaalani R, Say M, Waters K. Serotoninergic receptor 1A in the sudden infant death syndrome brainstem medulla and associations with clinical risk factors. Acta Neuropathol. 2009;117:257-65 pubmed publisher..This study not only provides further evidence of abnormalities within the brainstem serotoninergic system of SIDS infants, but also shows that these changes may be associated with exposure to clinical risk factors. ..
- Machaalani R, Evans C, Waters K. Objective adherence to positive airway pressure therapy in an Australian paediatric cohort. Sleep Breath. 2016;20:1327-1336 pubmed publisher..Over half of our population continue to utilise PAP therapy 1 year later, and amongst these cases, adequate adherence was maintained. ..
- Aishah A, Hinton T, Machaalani R. Cellular protein and mRNA expression of β1 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor (nAChR) subunit in brain, skeletal muscle and placenta. Int J Dev Neurosci. 2017;58:9-16 pubmed publisher..This study concludes that further experiments are required to conclusively state that the β1 nAChR subunit is expressed in the human, piglet and mouse brain. ..
- Hunt N, Rodriguez M, Waters K, Machaalani R. Changes in orexin (hypocretin) neuronal expression with normal aging in the human hypothalamus. Neurobiol Aging. 2015;36:292-300 pubmed publisher..001). These results demonstrate a decrease in Ox expression with normal human maturation and aging. This may contribute to changes in sleep regulation during development and with aging. ..
- Vivekanandarajah A, Aishah A, Waters K, Machaalani R. Intermittent hypercapnic hypoxia effects on the nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in the developing piglet hippocampus and brainstem. Neurotoxicology. 2017;60:23-33 pubmed publisher....