Affiliation: Institut Pasteur
- Liu Y, Ishino S, Ishino Y, Pehau Arnaudet G, Krupovic M, Prangishvili D. A Novel Type of Polyhedral Viruses Infecting Hyperthermophilic Archaea. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..Due to the original genomic and architectural features of SPV1, the virus should be considered a representative of a new viral family, "Portogloboviridae." ..
- Gardner A, Bell S, White M, Prangishvili D, Krupovic M. Protein-protein interactions leading to recruitment of the host DNA sliding clamp by the hyperthermophilic Sulfolobus islandicus rod-shaped virus 2. J Virol. 2014;88:7105-8 pubmed publisher..Five SIRV2 proteins were found to interact with PCNA, providing insights into the recruitment of host replisome for viral DNA replication. ..
- Krupovic M. Recombination between RNA viruses and plasmids might have played a central role in the origin and evolution of small DNA viruses. Bioessays. 2012;34:867-70 pubmed publisher..It also substantiates the hypothesis that certain groups of DNA viruses could have emerged from plasmids via acquisition of capsid protein-coding genes from RNA viruses...
- Krupovic M, Cvirkaite Krupovic V, Prangishvili D, Koonin E. Evolution of an archaeal virus nucleocapsid protein from the CRISPR-associated Cas4 nuclease. Biol Direct. 2015;10:65 pubmed publisher..To our knowledge, this is the first described case of exaptation of an enzyme for a virus capsid protein function. ..
- Krupovic M, Forterre P. Microviridae goes temperate: microvirus-related proviruses reside in the genomes of Bacteroidetes. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e19893 pubmed publisher....
- Krupovic M, Koonin E. Cellular origin of the viral capsid-like bacterial microcompartments. Biol Direct. 2017;12:25 pubmed publisher..This article was reviewed by Igor Zhulin, Jeremy Selengut and Narayanaswamy Srinivasan. For complete reviews, see the Reviewers' reports section. ..
- Redrejo Rodríguez M, Ordóñez C, Berjón Otero M, Moreno González J, Aparicio Maldonado C, Forterre P, et al. Primer-Independent DNA Synthesis by a Family B DNA Polymerase from Self-Replicating Mobile Genetic Elements. Cell Rep. 2017;21:1574-1587 pubmed publisher..We suggest that piPolBs are involved in self-replication of pipolins and may also contribute to bacterial DNA damage tolerance. ..
- Koonin E, Krupovic M. Polintons, virophages and transpovirons: a tangled web linking viruses, transposons and immunity. Curr Opin Virol. 2017;25:7-15 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings show that Polintons, PLV, virophages and transpovirons form a dynamic network of integrating mobile genetic elements that contribute to the cellular antivirus defense and host-virus coevolution. ..
- Krupovic M, Koonin E. Self-synthesizing transposons: unexpected key players in the evolution of viruses and defense systems. Curr Opin Microbiol. 2016;31:25-33 pubmed publisher..The casposons are thought to have played a pivotal role in the origin of the prokaryotic adaptive immunity, giving rise to the adaptation module of the CRISPR-Cas systems. ..
- Krupovic M, Zhi N, Li J, Hu G, Koonin E, Wong S, et al. Multiple layers of chimerism in a single-stranded DNA virus discovered by deep sequencing. Genome Biol Evol. 2015;7:993-1001 pubmed publisher..Our results underscore the importance of horizontal gene transfer in the evolution of ssDNA viruses and the role of genetic recombination in the emergence of novel virus groups. ..
- Krupovic M, Bamford D, Koonin E. Conservation of major and minor jelly-roll capsid proteins in Polinton (Maverick) transposons suggests that they are bona fide viruses. Biol Direct. 2014;9:6 pubmed publisher..We propose the name 'Polintoviruses' to denote these putative viruses that could have played a central role in the evolution of several groups of DNA viruses of eukaryotes. ..
- Krupovic M. Networks of evolutionary interactions underlying the polyphyletic origin of ssDNA viruses. Curr Opin Virol. 2013;3:578-86 pubmed publisher..This scenario places structurally related viruses with DNA and RNA genomes into an evolutionary continuum and highlights general evolutionary trends in the virosphere. ..
- Krupovic M, Cvirkaite Krupovic V. Virophages or satellite viruses?. Nat Rev Microbiol. 2011;9:762-3 pubmed..However, Mart Krupovic and Virginija Cvirkaite-Krupovic argue here that these smaller viruses should be classified with the satellite ..
- Krupovic M, Makarova K, Forterre P, Prangishvili D, Koonin E. Casposons: a new superfamily of self-synthesizing DNA transposons at the origin of prokaryotic CRISPR-Cas immunity. BMC Biol. 2014;12:36 pubmed publisher....
- Kazlauskas D, Dayaram A, Kraberger S, Goldstien S, Varsani A, Krupovic M. Evolutionary history of ssDNA bacilladnaviruses features horizontal acquisition of the capsid gene from ssRNA nodaviruses. Virology. 2017;504:114-121 pubmed publisher..Considering the sequence diversity within the expanding Bacilladnavirus genus, we argue that classification of these viruses has to be revised and the current genus upgraded to the family level. ..
- Krupovic M, Bamford D. Double-stranded DNA viruses: 20 families and only five different architectural principles for virion assembly. Curr Opin Virol. 2011;1:118-24 pubmed publisher..We note that viruses belonging to 20 different families fall into only five distinct structural groups, suggesting that optimal virus classification approach should equally rely on both sequence and structural information. ..
- Krupovic M, Beguin P, Koonin E. Casposons: mobile genetic elements that gave rise to the CRISPR-Cas adaptation machinery. Curr Opin Microbiol. 2017;38:36-43 pubmed publisher....
- Krupovic M, Spang A, Gribaldo S, Forterre P, Schleper C. A thaumarchaeal provirus testifies for an ancient association of tailed viruses with archaea. Biochem Soc Trans. 2011;39:82-8 pubmed publisher....
- Krupovic M, Cvirkaite Krupovic V, Iranzo J, Prangishvili D, Koonin E. Viruses of archaea: Structural, functional, environmental and evolutionary genomics. Virus Res. 2017;244:181-193 pubmed publisher..Further exploration of the archaeal virus diversity as well as functional studies on diverse virus-host systems are bound to uncover novel, unexpected facets of the archaeal virome...
- Krupovic M, Prangishvili D, Hendrix R, Bamford D. Genomics of bacterial and archaeal viruses: dynamics within the prokaryotic virosphere. Microbiol Mol Biol Rev. 2011;75:610-35 pubmed publisher..We also point out that horizontal gene transfer is not equally prevalent in different virus families and is not uniformly unrestricted for diverse viral functions...
- Kazlauskas D, Sezonov G, Charpin N, Venclovas C, Forterre P, Krupovic M. Novel families of archaeo-eukaryotic primases in mobile genetic elements of Bacteria and Archaea. J Mol Biol. 2017;: pubmed publisher....