Affiliation: German Cancer Research Center
- Bock J, Konig H, Brenner H, Haefeli W, Quinzler R, Matschinger H, et al. Associations of frailty with health care costs--results of the ESTHER cohort study. BMC Health Serv Res. 2016;16:128 pubmed publisher..Costs were rather attributable to frailty (and comorbidity) than to age. This stresses that the overlapping concepts of multimorbidity and frailty are both necessary to explain health care use and corresponding costs among older adults. ..
- Heider D, Matschinger H, Muller H, Saum K, Quinzler R, Haefeli W, et al. Health care costs in the elderly in Germany: an analysis applying Andersen's behavioral model of health care utilization. BMC Health Serv Res. 2014;14:71 pubmed publisher..Overall, the variables used in the Andersen model explained only little of the total variance in health care costs. ..
- Brenner H, Hakulinen T. Implications of incomplete registration of deaths on long-term survival estimates from population-based cancer registries. Int J Cancer. 2009;125:432-7 pubmed publisher..When such completeness cannot be achieved, long-term relative survival estimates and their comparison across populations must be interpreted with much caution. ..
- Brenner H, Chang Claude J, Seiler C, Rickert A, Hoffmeister M. Protection from colorectal cancer after colonoscopy: a population-based, case-control study. Ann Intern Med. 2011;154:22-30 pubmed publisher..However, the degree of protection achievable in a population setting with high-quality colonoscopy resources remains to be quantified...
- Chen H, Werner S, Tao S, Zörnig I, Brenner H. Blood autoantibodies against tumor-associated antigens as biomarkers in early detection of colorectal cancer. Cancer Lett. 2014;346:178-87 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, autoantibody signatures may become a promising approach to noninvasive CRC screening. Optimized marker panels are yet to be developed, and promising results require validation in large screening populations. ..
- Weigl K, Jansen L, Chang Claude J, Knebel P, Hoffmeister M, Brenner H. Family history and the risk of colorectal cancer: The importance of patients' history of colonoscopy. Int J Cancer. 2016;139:2213-20 pubmed publisher..Colonoscopy reduces the risk of CRC among those with FH far below levels of people with no FH and no colonoscopy...
- Gao X, Gao X, Zhang Y, Breitling L, Schöttker B, Brenner H. Associations of self-reported smoking, cotinine levels and epigenetic smoking indicators with oxidative stress among older adults: a population-based study. Eur J Epidemiol. 2017;32:443-456 pubmed publisher..The identified CpG sites could potentially be prognostic epigenetic markers of OS and OS-related health outcomes. Our findings and the underlying mechanisms should be followed up in further, preferably longitudinal studies. ..
- Chen C, Läcke E, Stock C, Hoffmeister M, Brenner H. Colonoscopy and sigmoidoscopy use among older adults in different countries: A systematic review. Prev Med. 2017;103:33-42 pubmed publisher....