Affiliation: Department Ingrassia University of Catania
Location: Catania, Italy
Prof. Margherita Anna Letizia Ferrante, Medical Director in Operating Unity of University Hospital Policlinic-V.E. of Catania, Associated Professor of General and Applied Hygiene near the Anatomy, Biology and Genetic, Forensic Medicine, Neurosciences, Diagnostic Pathology, Hygiene and Public Health Department of The Catania University (ex Hygiene and Preventive Medicine Institute) that frequent since 1978, graduated in Biological Sciences and also in Medicine and Surgery, and specialized in General Pathology and in Hygiene and Preventive Medicine. Since 1980 she has collaborated to the development, before, and performed in an autonomous way, then, cycles of practices and seminaries of lessons in several Degree and Diploma Courses and in the School of Specialization in Hygiene and Preventive Medicine of Catania University. She was member of numerous examining committees to the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery and of Political Sciences of Catania. She was the techer of several lessons at ISEF detached section of Catania, at Schools of Social Assistants in various provinces in Sicily, and at University Diploma and Degree Courses of the Faculty of Medicine and the Faculty of Political Science at the Catania University. Currently plays the teaching of "Hygiene" at Integrated Course Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Hygiene and Infectious Diseases at the CDL in Nursing and Midwifery, at I.C. Prevention Sciences to C.L. Neurophisiopathology Techniques and at Integrated Course Hygiene and Human Sciences of Degree Course in Biomedical Laboratory Technician and OF
From 1985 Member of the S.It.I. (Italian Society of Hygiene)
From 1996 Secretary of Degree in Biomedical Laboratory Techniques
From 2002 Expert ECM (National Continuing Medical Education)
From 2002 Member of the Doctoral School in Biotechnology
From 2002 Secretary of the School of Hygiene and Preventive Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Catania.
From 2006 Member of ISEE, IWA, EUPHA, IUHPE
From 2007 Auditor for quality management systems (Certy Quality-Milan)
From 2008 Member of the Regional Directors(sites Sicily)of the S.It.I. (Italian Society of Hygiene)
From 2008 Member of Italian Study Group of Hospital Infections (GISIO)of S.It.I.
From 2009 Member of the study group
1) Biondi M., Marranzano M., Allegra A., Di Fazio G., Faro G., FERRANTE M. Micobatteri atipici isolati dal suolo e dalle acque. Annali Sclavo, 1982, 24, 496-502-E009381 - issn: 0003-472X
2) Sciacca S., Fallico R., D
- Pesticide exposure assessed through agricultural crop proximity and risk of amyotrophic lateral sclerosisMarco Vinceti
Environmental, Genetic, and Nutritional Epidemiology Research Center CREAGEN, Department of Biomedical, Metabolic and Neural Sciences, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, 287 Via Campi, 41125, Modena, Italy
Environ Health 16:91. 2017..Epidemiologic studies have raised the possibility that some pesticide compounds induce the neurodegenerative disease amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), though the available evidence is not entirely consistent...
- Knowledge about tuberculosis among undergraduate health care students in 15 Italian universities: a cross-sectional studyMaria Teresa Montagna
Department of Biomedical Science and Human Oncology Hygiene section, University of Bari Aldo Moro, Piazza Giulio Cesare 11, 70124 Bari, Italy
BMC Public Health 14:970. 2014....
- The role of weight status, gender and self-esteem in following a diet among middle-school children in Sicily (Italy)Margherita Ferrante
Department G, F, Ingrassia, Sector of Hygiene and Public Health, Catania University, Italy
BMC Public Health 10:241. 2010..The objectives of the study were to evaluate the role of body mass index (BMI), gender and self-esteem in the adoption of a diet in middle-school Sicilian children...
- A randomised, controlled clinical trial evaluating changes in therapeutic efficacy and oxidative parameters after treatment with propionyl L-carnitine in patients with peripheral arterial disease requiring haemodialysisSalvatore Santo Signorelli
Department of Internal Medicine and Systemic Pathology, Medical Angiology Section, University of Catania, Catania, Italy
Drugs Aging 23:263-70. 2006..We explored the efficacy of intravenous therapy with propionyl L-carnitine in patients with both peripheral arterial disease (PAD) and chronic renal insufficiency requiring haemodialysis...
- Propionyl-L-carnitine therapy: effects on endothelin-1 and homocysteine levels in patients with peripheral arterial disease and end-stage renal diseaseSalvatore Santo Signorelli
Medical Angiology Section, Department of Internal Medicine and Systemic Pathology, University of Catania, Catania, Italy
Kidney Blood Press Res 29:100-7. 2006..We aimed to explore the therapeutic role of propionyl-L-carnitine (PLC) in hemodialysis patients with PAD by measuring ankle/brachial index (ABI), ET-1 and Hcy...
- The importance of indicators in monitoring water quality according to European directivesMargherita Ferrante
Laboratorio igiene ambientale e alimenti LIAA, Dip Scienze Mediche, Chirurgiche e Tecnologie Avanzate G F Ingrassia, Universita di Catania, Italy
Epidemiol Prev 39:71-5. 2015..The Member States are now called upon to characterize and monitor these pollutants in view of their possible inclusion in the priority substance list. ..
- Determination of total vanadium and vanadium(V) in groundwater from Mt. Etna and estimate of daily intake of vanadium(V) through drinking waterGiovanni Arena
Department of Hygiene and Public Health G F Ingrassia, University of Catania, Via Santa Sofia 87, 95123 Catania, Italy E mail
J Water Health 13:522-30. 2015..In particular, we found in Camporotondo, Mascalucia, Ragalna and San Pietro Clarenza sites children's EDIs of 11, 9.3, 11 and 9.9, respectively. The EDI of V(V) was significantly higher than the literature range (0.09-0.34 μg/kg/day). ..
- Ligia italica (Isopoda, Oniscidea) as bioindicator of mercury pollution of marine rocky coastsGuglielmo Longo
Dipartimento di Scienze Biologiche, Geologiche e Ambientali, Universita di Catania, Catania, Italy
PLoS ONE 8:e58548. 2013..In conclusion, Ligia italica can represent a good bioindicator and the ultrastructure of the hepatopancreas could be used as ultrastructural biomarker of heavy metals pollution in the supralittoral zones...
- [A ten-year risk evaluation study in Catania hospital operating rooms]Margherita Ferrante
Dipartimento di Anatomia, Patologia Diagnostica, Medicina Legale, Igiene e Sanità Pubblica
Ig Sanita Pubbl 60:39-50. 2004..A significant correlation was observed only between some nitrous oxide values and relative humidity. Monitoring important marker levels is useful for correctly evaluating operating room thermal, chemical and microbiological air quality...
- [Harmful algal blooms in Italy and their health effects in the population]Margherita Ferrante
Universita degli Studi di Catania, Dipartimento Ingrassia, Catania, Italy
Ig Sanita Pubbl 66:649-58. 2010..The authors then describe the algal bloom phenomenon observed in Italy from the 1960s to the present time. Finally they briefly describe Italian legislation on the subject matter and highlight its shortcomings...