Affiliation: University of Genoa
Location: Genova, Italy
Permanent position as Senior Researcher-Aggregate Professor in Biochemistry, DIPTERIS-Faculty of Sciences MFN, University of Genoa, Italy.
Specific Skills: protein analysis, immunohystochemistry for mycrsoscopy; Luminometric, Fluorometric and Spectrophotometric enzymatic activity and kinetic analyses of proteins.
Principal Research topic: Bioenergetics in nervous system: extramitochondrial aerobic metabolism and TCA cycle, implications in retinal and neuronal diseases.
- Evidence for aerobic ATP synthesis in isolated myelin vesiclesSilvia Ravera
Biology Department, University of Genova, Faculty of Sciences MFN, Viale Benedetto XV, Genoa, Italy
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 41:1581-91. 2009..The complex of data suggests that myelin sheath may be the site of oxygen absorption and aerobic metabolism for the axons...
- Heavy metal interference with growth hormone signalling in trout hepatoma cells RTH-149Barbara Marchi
Dipartimento di Biologia, Universita di Genova, Viale Benedetto XV 5, 16132, Genova, Italy
Biometals 18:179-90. 2005....
- Efects of growth hormone and cadmium on the transcription regulation of two metallothionein isoformsLaura Vergani
Department of Biophysical Sciences and Technologies M and O DISTBIMO, University of Genoa, Largo Rosanna Benzi 10, 16132 Genova, Italy
Mol Cell Endocrinol 263:29-37. 2007..The synergy could depend on interactions in different signaling pathways, leading to a differential recruitment of MTF-1 and AP-1 transcription factors...
- Structural modification of proteins by direct electric current from low voltageDaniela Calzia
Department of Biology, Universita di Genova, 16132 Genova, Italy
J Biochem Mol Toxicol 23:309-17. 2009..Enzymatic activity maybe a more accurate sensor of conformational changes than circular dichroism spectroscopy. A better understanding of efficacy of many electrical devices utilized in medical practice may follow...
- Simultaneous detection of molecular weight and activity of adenylate kinases after electrophoretic separationSilvia Ravera
Department of Biology, University of Genoa, Genova, Italy
Electrophoresis 28:291-300. 2007..The procedure is also quantitative, allowing to determine the amount of enzyme present in samples...
- Expression of adenylate kinase 1 in bovine retinal cytosolSilvia Ravera
Biology Department, University of Genoa, Genova, Italy
Curr Eye Res 32:249-57. 2007..In this study, we found that cytosolic adenylate kinase isoform 1 is expressed in bovine retina. Cytoplasmic AK1 would physiologically contribute to retinal energy metabolism...
- The nuclear genes Mtfr1 and Dufd1 regulate mitochondrial dynamic and cellular respirationMassimiliano Monticone
Istituto Nazionale per la Ricerca sul Cancro, Genova, Italy
J Cell Physiol 225:767-76. 2010..These data show that, in murine testis, Dufd1 and Mtfr1 have redundant functions related to mitochondrial physiology and represent genes with a potential role in testicular function...
- Live imaging of mammalian retina: rod outer segments are stained by conventional mitochondrial dyesPaolo Bianchini
University of Genoa, Laboratory for Advanced, Microscopy, Bioimaging, and Spectroscopy LAMBS, MicroSCoBiO Research Center, Department of Physics, Via Dodecaneso 33, 16146, Genoa, Italy
J Biomed Opt 13:054017. 2008..This finding may shed light on previous reports of the existence of a proton potential across the disk membranes and on the mechanism of the adenosine tri-phosphate (ATP) supply for phototransduction, which still requires investigation...
- Why do premature newborn infants display elevated blood adenosine levels?Isabella Panfoli
Dipartimento di Farmacia, Laboratorio di Biochimica, Universita di Genova, Genoa, Italy Electronic address
Med Hypotheses 90:53-6. 2016..Adenosine may become a biomarker of prematurity risk, whose implications further studies may assess. ..
- Functional expression of oxidative phosphorylation proteins in the rod outer segment discIsabella Panfoli
DIFAR Biochemistry Lab, University of Genoa, 16132 Genova, Italy
Cell Biochem Funct 31:532-8. 2013..The existence of oxygen utilization in the outer retina, likely supplying ATP for phototransduction, may shed light on some retinal pathologies related to oxidative stress of the outer retina...
- A blue dive: from 'blue fingers' to 'blue silver'. A comparative overview of staining methods for in-gel proteomicsIsabella Panfoli
Dipartimento di Farmacia, Universita di Genova, Viale Bendetto XV, 3, 16132 Genova, Italy
Expert Rev Proteomics 9:627-34. 2012..An example of a 2-DE of human urine treated with combinatorial peptide ligand libraries demonstrates that implemented 'blue silver' can evidence the complexity of the sample...
- Extra-mitochondrial aerobic metabolism in retinal rod outer segments: new perspectives in retinopathiesI Panfoli
DIPTERIS University of Genova, Corso Europa 26, 16132 Genova, Italy
Med Hypotheses 78:423-7. 2012....
- Inhibition of hemorragic snake venom components: old and new approachesIsabella Panfoli
Department of Biology, University of Genova, Viale Benedetto XV 3, 16132 Genova, Italy
Toxins (Basel) 2:417-27. 2010..This mini-review summarizes new achievements in venom key component inhibition. A deeper knowledge of alternative ways to inhibit venom toxins may provide supplemental treatments to serum therapy...
- Evidence for aerobic metabolism in retinal rod outer segment disksIsabella Panfoli
DIBIO, University of Genoa, Viale Benedetto XV, 5, 16132 Genova, Italy
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 41:2555-65. 2009..These findings may provide important new insight into energy production in outer segments via aerobic metabolism and additional information about protein components in OS disk membranes...
- 'Proteomineering': has the mine been excavated?Isabella Panfoli
DIPTERIS Biochemistry Lab, University of Genoa, Genova, Italy
Expert Rev Proteomics 8:443-5. 2011..Therefore, the solid-phase ligand library made of hexapeptides remains a promising and unique tool for biomarker discovery...
- Extramitochondrial tricarboxylic acid cycle in retinal rod outer segmentsIsabella Panfoli
Department of Biology, University of Genoa, Viale Benedetto XV, 5, 16132 Genova, Italy
Biochimie 93:1565-75. 2011..Data, suggestive of the exportability of the mitochondrial machinery for aerobic metabolism, may shed light on those retinal pathologies related to energy supply impairment in OS and to mutations in TCA enzymes...
- Accelerated removal of deamidated proteins and endogenous electric fields: possible implicationsIsabella Panfoli
Department of Biology, University of Genova, 16132 Genova, Italy
Gen Physiol Biophys 29:302-8. 2010..Nano-local endogenous electric fields arise within cells. Endogenous currents may cause the unfolding of the products of deamidation at Asn. In turn, these unfolded proteins would be removed, likely by proteolysis...
- Immunochemical or fluorescent labeling of vesicular subcellular fractions for microscopy imagingIsabella Panfoli
Department of Biology, University of Genoa, Italy
Microsc Res Tech 73:1086-90. 2010..Therefore, the technique seems adequate to become an instrument to study the structure and the function of these and other subcellular fractions...
- Proteomic analysis of the retinal rod outer segment disksIsabella Panfoli
Department of Biology, University of Genoa, V le Benedetto XV 3, 16132 Genova, Italy
J Proteome Res 7:2654-69. 2008..This study represents a step toward a global physiological characterization of the disk proteome and provides information necessary for future studies on energy supply for phototransduction...
- Inactivation of phospholipase A2 and metalloproteinase from Crotalus atrox venom by direct currentIsabella Panfoli
Department of Biology, University of Genoa, V le Bendetto XV, 3, 16132 Genova, Italy
J Biochem Mol Toxicol 21:7-12. 2007....
- Localization of the cyclic ADP-ribose-dependent calcium signaling pathway in bovine rod outer segmentsIsabella Panfoli
Department of Biology, University of Genoa, Genova, Italy
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 48:978-84. 2007..In this study, the presence and functional role of the adenosine diphosphoribosyl (ADPR)-cyclase-cyclic ADP-ribose (cADPR) system in bovine retinal rod outer segments (ROS) was investigated...
- Essential role of Ca2+ -dependent phospholipase A2 in estradiol-induced lysosome activationBruno Burlando
Dipartimento di Scienze e Tecnologie Avanzate, Universita del Piemonte Orientale Amedeo Avogadro, 15100 Alessandria, Biologia e Genetica, Universita di Genova, 16132 Genoa, Italy
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 283:C1461-8. 2002..This mechanism promotes lysosome fusion and catabolic activities and may mediate short-term estradiol effects...
- Ligand-independent tyrosine kinase signalling in RTH 149 trout hepatoma cells: comparison among heavy metals and pro-oxidantsBruno Burlando
Dipartimento di Scienze e Tecnologie Avanzate, Universita del Piemonte Orientale Amedeo Avogadro, Corso Borsalino 54, 15100 Alessandria, Italy
Cell Physiol Biochem 13:147-54. 2003..Phosphospecific STAT antibodies revealed activation by H(2)O(2) only. In conclusion, fish cell exposure to heavy metals and pro-oxidants produce specific tyrosine kinase responses, involving cross talk and redox modulatory effects...
- Confocal laser scanning microscopy of retinal rod outer segment intact disks: new labeling techniqueSilvia Ravera
J Biomed Opt 12:050501. 2007..In fact, even though much is known about the rod outer segment photoresponse, some unanswered questions remain, particularly about ATP supply, light adaptation, and morphogenesis...