Affiliation: Instituto Nacional de Enfermedades Respiratorias
Location: Mexico City, Mexico
Researcher in immunopathogenesis of HIV disease, and chronic inflammation in other settings.
Graduate student mentor at Doctorado en Ciencias Biomédicas, National University, Mexico (UNAM)
Immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome: An alteration in CD4+ T regulatory cells and in costimulatory molecules?, 2005, UC-Mexus/ Conacyt, University of California
Reconstitución inmunitaria en VIH: Bases inmunológicas de sus límites y consecuencias, 2006, Conacyt Mexico, 114484 “Polarización de las células T de memoria centrales como biomarcador de riesgo en pacientes en etapa avanzada de la enfermedad por VIH, 2010, Conacyt, Imss, SSa, Issste MEXICO
- Risk factors for immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome under combination antiretroviral therapy can be aetiology-specificE Espinosa
Center for Infectious Diseases Research CIENI, Instituto Nacional de Enfermedades Respiratorias, Ismael Cosio Villegas, Mexico City, Mexico
Int J STD AIDS 21:573-9. 2010..Indicators of advanced HIV disease and subclinical inflammation jointly predict IRIS, and some are specific of the underlying microbial aetiology, possibly explaining previous reports...
- [Behavior-immunity relationship: the role of cytokines]E Espinosa
, Departamento de Neurociencias, , UNAM,
Rev Invest Clin 53:240-53. 2001..Possible mechanisms and pathways of communication between the brain and the immune system, as well as the possible participation of other cytokines are discussed...
- Bevacizumab reverts serous retinal detachment caused by tuberculosis-associated immune reconstitution inflammatory syndromeMatilde Ruiz-Cruz
AIDS 25:1241-3. 2011
- Dissociation of CD154 and cytokine expression patterns in CD38+ CD4+ memory T cells in chronic HIV-1 infectionEnrique Espinosa
Department of Infectious Diseases Research, National Institute of Respiratory Diseases, Mexico
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 55:439-45. 2010....
- Novel presentation of immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome: folliculitis secondary to Malassezia sppGabriela Moreno-Coutiño
Instituto Nacional de Enfermedades Respiratorias Ismael Cosio Villegas, Center for Infectious Diseases Research CIENI, Mexico City DF, Mexico Hospital General Manuel Gea González, Dermatology Service, Mexico DF, Mexico
Mycoses 54:e252-4. 2011..Here, we describe folliculitis associated with Malassezia spp. as a distinct manifestation of IRIS. The distinction between these two types of IRIS folliculitis is relevant for treatment...
- Unique features of HLA-mediated HIV evolution in a Mexican cohort: a comparative studySantiago Avila-Ríos
Center for Research in Infectious Diseases, National Institute of Respiratory Diseases, Mexico City, Mexico
Retrovirology 6:72. 2009..However, it is not known whether characteristic HLA frequency distributions in different populations have resulted in additional unique footprints...
- Later onset of herpes zoster-associated immune reconstitution inflammatory syndromeE Espinosa
Centre for Infectious Diseases Research, Instituto Nacional de Enfermedades Respiratorias Ismael Cosio Villegas, Mexico City 4502, 14080 Mexico
HIV Med 10:454-7. 2009..The aim of the study was to determine whether immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome (IRIS) associated with herpes zoster occurs on a different time frame from other instances of IRIS...
- Endoscopic assessment of adenoid size is an indicator of tissue virologic response to highly active antiretroviral therapyEnrique Espinosa
Center for Infectious Diseases Research, National Institute for Respiratory Diseases, Mexico City, Mexico
J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 38:255-60. 2009..To compare human immunodeficiency virus viral load (HIVVL) in plasma versus the adenoid HIVVL during highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART)...
- Identification of oral candidosis, hairy leukoplakia and recurrent oral ulcers as distinct cases of immune reconstitution inflammatory syndromeV A Ramirez-Amador
Health Care Department, Universidad Autonoma Metropolitana Xochimilco, Mexico City
Int J STD AIDS 20:259-61. 2009..CD4+ T-cell counts at symptom onset suggested no remaining immune suppression. Our findings show that cases of OC, HL and recurrent ulcers can be instances of IRIS...
- Weakened [corrected] taste-LPS association during endotoxin toleranceG Pacheco-Lopez
Chair of Psychology and Behavioral Immunobiology, Institute for Behavioral Sciences, ETH Zurich, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
Physiol Behav 93:261-6. 2008....
- [Finding the traces of the HIV selection]Enrique Espinosa
Centro de Investigaciones en Enfermedades Infecciosas CIENI, Instituto Nacional de Enfermedades Respiratorias, Mexico, D F
Rev Latinoam Microbiol 48:84-90. 2006....
- Cornering HIV: taking advantage of interactions between selective pressuresS Avila-Ríos
Center for Infectious Diseases Research, National Institute of Respiratory Diseases, Calzada de Tlalpan 4502, CP 14080 Mexico City, Mexico
Med Hypotheses 69:422-31. 2007..Cornering would control HIV infection better than current strategies, focused on few, albeit important, sites in the HIV genome...
- CD8+ cell noncytotoxic anti-HIV response: restoration by HAART in the late stage of infectionKlintsy J Torres
Departamento de Investigación en Enfermedades Infecciosas CIENI, Instituto Nacional de Enfermedades Respiratorias INER, Mexico City, Mexico
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 22:144-52. 2006..Our findings suggest a beneficial effect on CNAR in those individuals with reduced activity, typically in late-stage infection...
- Lower incidence and severity of cytomegalovirus-associated immune recovery uveitis in HIV-infected patients with delayed highly active antiretroviral therapyGabriela Ortega-Larrocea
Centro de Investigación en Enfermedades Infecciosas, Instituto Nacional Enfermedades Respiratorias, Mexico City, Mexico
AIDS 19:735-8. 2005..The findings suggest a protective role of delaying HAART until cytomegalovirus retinitis is controlled...
- In vitro adrenergic modulation of cellular immune functions in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitisKatharina Haerter
Department of Medical Psychology, University of Essen Medical School, Hufelandstr 55, 45122 Essen, Germany
J Neuroimmunol 146:126-32. 2004..To analyze the effects in vitro of alpha- and beta-adrenoceptor agonists on splenocyte proliferation and on proinflammatory cytokine production in splenocytes and peritoneal macrophages (MF) in different stages of EAE...
- Enhancement of antibody response by one-trial conditioning: contrasting results using different antigensEnrique Espinosa
Department of Neuroscience, Cell Physiology Institute, National Autonomous University of Mexico UNAM, Apartado Postal 70 253, Mexico DF 04510, Mexico
Brain Behav Immun 18:76-80. 2004..By comparing these and other findings we conclude that the number of conditioning trials is a possible requirement for a more reliable conditioning of antibody response...
- The role of cortical cholinergic pre- and post-synaptic receptors in taste memory formationLeticia Ramirez-Lugo
Departamento de Neurociencias, Instituto de Fisiologia Celular, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, C P 04510 Mexico D F, Mexico
Neurobiol Learn Mem 79:184-93. 2003....
- Peripheral protein immunization induces rapid activation of the CNS, as measured by c-Fos expressionGustavo Pacheco-López
Instituto de Fisiologia Celular, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, A P 70 253, 04510 Cd, Mexico, D F, Mexico
J Neuroimmunol 131:50-9. 2002..Our results suggest that different interconnected brain cell groups respond rapidly to an immune challenge in the periphery, constituting an afferent pathway of neuroimmune communication...
- A transcriptome-based model of central memory CD4 T cell death in HIV infectionGustavo Olvera-García
Department of Research in Immunology, Instituto Nacional de Enfermedades Respiratorias Ismael Cosio Villegas, Calzada de Tlalpan 4502, Mexico City, Mexico
BMC Genomics 17:956. 2016..We investigated if central memory CD4 T cells from patients with HIV-1 infection have a gene expression profile impeding proliferation and survival, despite their activated state...