Genomes and Genes
Nicholas J Severs
Affiliation: Imperial College
- Up-regulation of connexin43 correlates with increased synthetic activity and enhanced contractile differentiation in TGF-beta-treated human aortic smooth muscle cellsAisha Rama
Cardiac Medicine, National Heart and Lung Institute Imperial College, Guy Scadding Building, Dovehouse Street, London SW3 6LY, UK
Eur J Cell Biol 85:375-86. 2006..We conclude that in human aortic SMCs, TGF-beta1 treatment leads to up-regulation of Cx43-mediated gap-junctional communication and increased synthetic activity yet, somewhat paradoxically, also enhanced contractile differentiation...
- Coexpression of connexin 45 with connexin 43 decreases gap junction sizeKatharina Grikscheit
Department of Cardiac Medicine, National Heart and Lung Institute, London, United Kingdom
Cell Commun Adhes 15:185-93. 2008..In contrast, coexpression of Cx40 with Cx43 does not lead to any change in gap junction size. These results are consistent with the idea that increased Cx45 expression in the failing ventricle contributes to decreased gap junction size...
- Remodelling of gap junctions and connexin expression in diseased myocardiumNicholas J Severs
National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London, Dovehouse Street, London SW3 6LY, UK
Cardiovasc Res 80:9-19. 2008....
- Freeze-fracture electron microscopyNicholas J Severs
Imperial College London, National Heart and Lung Institute, Dovehouse Street, London SW3 6LY, UK
Nat Protoc 2:547-76. 2007..Images provided by freeze fracture and related techniques have profoundly shaped our understanding of the functional morphology of the cell...
- Alterations in cardiac connexin expression in cardiomyopathiesNicholas J Severs
National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London, UK
Adv Cardiol 42:228-42. 2006....
- Gap junction alterations in human cardiac diseaseNicholas J Severs
Cardiac Medicine, National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College Faculty of Medicine, Guy Scadding Building, Dovehouse Street, London SW3 6LY, UK
Cardiovasc Res 62:368-77. 2004....
- Relationship of connexin43 expression to phenotypic modulation in cultured human aortic smooth muscle cellsTsutomu Matsushita
Cardiac Medicine, National Heart and Lung Institute Imperial College London, Guy Scadding Building, Dovehouse Street, London SW3 6LY, UK
Eur J Cell Biol 86:617-28. 2007..We conclude that Cx43 levels, though having common correlates, are not exclusively linked to the cell phenotype or the state of growth...
- Gap junction remodelling in human heart failure is associated with increased interaction of connexin43 with ZO-1Alexandra F Bruce
National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London, Guy Scadding Building, London, UK
Cardiovasc Res 77:757-65. 2008..We therefore examined the hypothesis that ZO-1 contributes to reduced expression of Cx43 gap junctions in congestive heart failure...
- Remodelling of gap junctions and connexin expression in heart diseaseNicholas J Severs
National Heart and Lung Institute, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College, Royal Brompton Hospital, Sydney Street, London SW3 6NP, UK
Biochim Biophys Acta 1662:138-48. 2004....
- Development of a cell model for functional and structural analysis of connexin co-expression: achieving homogeneous and inducible expression of multiple connexins in stable transfectantsDeborah Halliday
National Heart and Lung Institute, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom
Cell Commun Adhes 10:311-7. 2003..The cell model is now at a suitable stage of development for investigation of the functional correlates of the distinctive connexin co-expression found in different regions of the heart...
- Functional consequences of co-expressing connexin40 or connexin45 with connexin43 on intercellular electrical couplingNeil M Thomas
Myocardial Function, National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London, London, UK Electronic address
Biochem Biophys Res Commun . 2016..The data using rat liver epithelial cells indicate an increased electrical coupling upon expression of connexin40 and connexin43 but decreased coupling with connexin45 and connexin43 co-expression...
- High-resolution en-face visualization of the cardiomyocyte plasma membrane reveals distinctive distributions of spectrin and dystrophinShirley A Stevenson
Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, National Heart and Lung Institute, Guy Scadding Building, UK
Eur J Cell Biol 84:961-71. 2005..g., in structural support to the plasma membrane) may exist between them, the two systems may each have additional distinctive roles...
- Human atrial conduction and arrhythmogenesis correlates with conformational exposure of specific epitopes on the connexin40 carboxyl tailPrapa Kanagaratnam
National Heart and Lung Institute, London, UK
J Mol Cell Cardiol 40:675-87. 2006....
- Comparison of connexin expression patterns in the developing mouse heart and human foetal heartSteven R Coppen
Cardiac Medicine, National Heart and Lung Institute, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College, Royal Brompton Hospital, London, UK
Mol Cell Biochem 242:121-7. 2003..We conclude that, at least in some key aspects, the pattern of connexin expression in the developing mouse heart parallels that found in the human embryonic heart...
- Characterisation of connexin expression and electrophysiological properties in stable clones of the HL-1 myocyte cell linePriyanthi Dias
Myocardial Function Section, National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 9:e90266. 2014..In summary we have isolated homogenous and stable HL-1 clones that display characteristics distinct from the heterogeneous properties of the original cell line...
- Localisation of SCN10A gene product Na(v)1.8 and novel pain-related ion channels in human heartPaul Facer
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Hammersmith Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, London, UK
Int Heart J 52:146-52. 2011..We conclude that sodium channel Na(v)1.8 is present in sensory nerves and cardiomyocytes of human heart. Na(v)1.8 and other pain channels provide new targets for the understanding and treatment of cardiac pain and dysrhythmia...
- The carboxy terminal domain of connexin43: from molecular regulation of the gap junction channel to supramolecular organization of the intercalated diskNicholas J Severs
Circ Res 101:1213-5. 2007
- Alteration of gap junctions and connexins in the right atrial appendage during cardiopulmonary bypassHung I Yeh
Departments of Cardiac Medicine and Medical Research, Mackay Memorial Hospital, Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 124:1106-12. 2002..We investigated the influence of cardiopulmonary bypass on cardiomyocyte gap junctions and connexins...
- Gap junction remodeling in heart failureNicholas J Severs
National Heart and Lung Institute, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College, London, United Kingdom
J Card Fail 8:S293-9. 2002..Recent evidence from studies in experimental animals strengthens the case that gap junction remodeling is a key determinant of the proarrhythmic substrate in the diseased heart...
- Remodeling of myocardial sleeve and gap junctions in canine superior vena cava after rapid pacingHung I Yeh
Department of Internal Medicine and Medical Research Mackay Memorial Hospital, Mackay Medicine Nursing and Management College, Taipei Medical University, 92, Sec 2, Chung San North Road, 10449, Taipei, Taiwan
Basic Res Cardiol 101:269-80. 2006..We studied the response of the superior vena cava (SVC) myocardial sleeve to atrial fibrillation (AF)...
- Gap junction channels and cardiac impulse propagationThomas Desplantez
Institute of Physiology, University of Bern, Buhlplatz 5, Bern, Switzerland
J Membr Biol 218:13-28. 2007..The data predict facilitation of orthodromic propagation...
- Relative expression of immunolocalized connexins 40 and 43 correlates with human atrial conduction propertiesPrapa Kanagaratnam
Heart and Lung Division of Imperial College School of Medicine, London, United Kingdom
J Am Coll Cardiol 39:116-23. 2002..The aim of this study was to determine the relationship between immunolocalized gap-junctional proteins and human atrial conduction...
- Upregulation of connexin43 gap junctions between neointimal smooth muscle cellsGabriele Plenz
Institute for Arteriosclerosis Research, Munster, Germany
Eur J Cell Biol 83:521-30. 2004..We conclude that the enhanced gap junction formation may contribute to the coordination of the response of SMC after secondary injury, particularly in the early phase of restenosis...
- Freeze-fracture cytochemistry in cell biologyNicholas J Severs
Imperial College London, National Heart and Lung Division, London, United Kingdom
Methods Cell Biol 88:181-204. 2008..Examples of how these techniques have contributed to our understanding of cardiovascular cell function in health and disease are discussed...
- Expression and localization of tissue factor pathway inhibitor-2 in normal and atherosclerotic human vesselsJames T B Crawley
Thrombosis Research Institute, London, England
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 22:218-24. 2002....
- Spontaneous activity and electrical coupling in human detrusor smooth muscle: implications for detrusor overactivity?Christopher H Fry
Institute of Urology and Nephrology, London, United Kingdom
Urology 63:3-10. 2004..The data do imply that myogenic defects can contribute to abnormal bladder function and, thus, suggest several new targeted drug models that should be explored...
- Re: The sinoatrial node, connexin distribution patterns and specific immunodetection of connexin45Steven R Coppen
Cardiovasc Res 53:1043-5; author reply 1046. 2002
- Diversity of connexin expression patterns in the atrioventricular node: vestigial consequence or functional specialization?Steven R Coppen
National Heart and Lung Institute, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College, London, United Kingdom
J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 13:625-6. 2002
- Adipophilin-enriched domains in the ER membrane are sites of lipid droplet biogenesisHorst Robenek
Leibniz Institute for Arteriosclerosis Research, University of Munster, Domagkstr 3, 48149 Munster, Germany
J Cell Sci 119:4215-24. 2006..We identify these structures as sites at which lipids and adipophilin are transferred from ER membranes to lipid droplets. These findings call for a re-evaluation of the prevailing hypothesis of lipid droplet biogenesis...
- Butyrophilin controls milk fat globule secretionHorst Robenek
Leibniz Institute for Arteriosclerosis Research, University of Munster, 48149 Munster, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:10385-90. 2006....
- Reduced expression of endothelial connexin37 and connexin40 in hyperlipidemic mice: recovery of connexin37 after 7-day simvastatin treatmentHung I Yeh
Mackay Memorial Hospital, Mackay Junior College of Nursing, Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 23:1391-7. 2003..We sought to clarify the response of endothelial connexins to hyperlipidemia and lipid-lowering therapy...
- Lipid droplets gain PAT family proteins by interaction with specialized plasma membrane domainsHorst Robenek
Department of Cell Biology and Ultrastructure Research, Leibniz Institute for Arteriosclerosis Research, University of Munster, Munster, Germany
J Biol Chem 280:26330-8. 2005..Lipid droplets appear to acquire their PAT proteins by interaction with plasma membrane domains enriched in these proteins...
- Three-dimensional reconstruction of the rabbit atrioventricular conduction axis by combining histological, desmin, and connexin mapping dataYu Shien Ko
First Cardiovascular Division, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
Circulation 109:1172-9. 2004....
- Lipids partition caveolin-1 from ER membranes into lipid droplets: updating the model of lipid droplet biogenesisMirko J Robenek
University Children s Hospital, University of Munster, Munster, Germany
FASEB J 18:866-8. 2004....
- Relationship between connexins and atrial activation during human atrial fibrillationPrapa Kanagaratnam
Heart and Lung Division of Imperial College School of Medicine, and St Mary s Hospital, London, United Kingdom
J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 15:206-16. 2004..We hypothesized that atrial activation pattern during AF is related to connexin expression and that this relationship is altered by AF-induced remodeling in the fibrillating atria of chronic AF...
- Heterogeneous expression of connexins in rabbit sinoatrial node cells: correlation between connexin isotype and cell sizeHaruo Honjo
Research Institute of Environmental Medicine, Nagoya University, Furo cho, Chikusa ku, Nagoya 464 8601, Japan
Cardiovasc Res 53:89-96. 2002..The purpose of this study was to identify the connexin isotypes expressed by sinoatrial node cells and to analyse the density of connexins in relation to cell size...