- Lajin B, Hamzeh A, Ghabreau L, Mohamed A, Al Moustafa A, Alachkar A. Catechol-O-methyltransferase Val 108/158 Met polymorphism and breast cancer risk: a case control study in Syria. Breast Cancer. 2013;20:62-6 pubmed publisher..There was no significant overall association between the COMT genotype and individual susceptibility to breast cancer. Our data suggest that there may be no overall association between the COMT genotype and breast cancer. ..
- Lajin B, Alhaj Sakur A, Ghabreau L, Alachkar A. Association of polymorphisms in one-carbon metabolizing genes with breast cancer risk in Syrian women. Tumour Biol. 2012;33:1133-9 pubmed publisher..3, 95% CI (0.08-1.11), P = 0.058). In conclusion, our study supports the hypothesis that polymorphisms in one-carbon gene metabolisms modulate the risk for breast cancer, particularly the A1298C polymorphism of the MTHFR gene. ..
- Lajin B, Alhaj Sakur A, Michati R, Alachkar A. Association between MTHFR C677T and A1298C, and MTRR A66G polymorphisms and susceptibility to schizophrenia in a Syrian study cohort. Asian J Psychiatr. 2012;5:144-9 pubmed publisher..24, 95% CI (0.97-5.15), p=0.053). Our results support the hypothesis of association between schizophrenia and folate-homocystiene metabolic pathway genes. ..
- Lajin B, Alachkar A, Michati R, Alhaj Sakur A. Association between polymorphisms in the genes for tumor suppressor protein p53 and its regulator NAD(P)H: quinone oxidoreductase 1 (NQO1) and schizophrenia in a Syrian study cohort. Arch Med Res. 2013;44:121-6 pubmed publisher..No statistically significant association was found for any of the four polymorphisms. Our results do not support an association between the studied polymorphisms and schizophrenia in the Syrian population. ..
- Lajin B, Alhaj Sakur A, Alachkar A. Association between polymorphisms in apoptotic genes and susceptibility for developing breast cancer in Syrian women. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2013;138:611-9 pubmed publisher..47), P = 0.006). No significant association was found for NQO1 C609T or its combinations with TP53 polymorphisms. Our results support an association for TP53 polymorphisms with breast cancer susceptibility in the Syrian population. ..
- Lajin B, Alachkar A. The NQO1 polymorphism C609T (Pro187Ser) and cancer susceptibility: a comprehensive meta-analysis. Br J Cancer. 2013;109:1325-37 pubmed publisher..34 (1.09-1.65), P=0.006, I²=15%). Our results indicate that the C609T polymorphism of the NQO1 gene is an important genetic risk factor in cancer. ..