Alexander W Phillips
- Individualised Expert Feedback is Not Essential for Improving Basic Clinical Skills Performance in Novice Learners: A Randomized TrialAlexander W Phillips
Northern Oesophagogastric Cancer Unit, Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK Electronic address
J Surg Educ . 2016....
- Surgical Trainers' Experience and Perspectives on Workplace-Based AssessmentsAlexander W Phillips
Department of General Surgery, Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom Electronic address
J Surg Educ 72:979-84. 2015..Several studies highlight dissatisfaction with WBAs, and some feel they lack validity and reliability and exist as a "tick-box exercise." No studies have looked at the attitudes of the assessor...
- A critical evaluation of the Intercollegiate Surgical Curriculum and comparison with its predecessor the "Calman" curriculumAlexander W Phillips
Department of General Surgery, James Cook University Hospital, Middlesbrough, United Kingdom Electronic address
J Surg Educ 70:557-62. 2013..It sought to provide an integrated curriculum based upon a website platform. The aim of this review is to examine the changes to the curriculum and effect on surgical training...
- MRSA infections following colorectal surgery in an enhanced recovery programmeA W Phillips
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Freeman Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Colorectal Dis 15:97-101. 2013..The aim of this study was to evaluate the incidence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infections in a cohort of patients undergoing elective colorectal resections within an enhanced recovery programme...
- Foundation doctors in anaesthesia: should they be taught to administer an anaesthetic?Alexander W Phillips
Specialty Trainee 2, Cardiothoracic Surgery, John Radcliffe Hospital Headley Way, Headington, Oxford, OX3 9DU, UK
BMC Med Educ 7:48. 2007..Anaesthetic pre-registration house officer posts have been available since 1997. With the change to postgraduate medical training introduced in 2005, these posts have become vital building blocks for Foundation Programmes...
- Should the macroscopically normal appendix be removed during laparoscopy for acute right iliac fossa pain when no other explanatory pathology is found?Alexander W Phillips
Department of General Surgery, Wexham Park Hospital, Slough daggerDepartment of General Surgery, Salisbury NHS Foundation Trust, Salisbury, UK
Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 19:392-4. 2009..Laparoscopy has gained increasing favour as a method of both investigating right iliac fossa pain and treating the finding of appendicitis. The aim of this study was to determine the accuracy of intraoperative diagnosis of appendicitis...
- The value of routine histopathological examination of appendicectomy specimensAlun E Jones
Department of General Surgery, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital NHS Trust, Norwich, England, UK
BMC Surg 7:17. 2007..We evaluated histopathological reports of 1225 appendicectomy specimens at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital (NNUH) over the past three years...
- Use of the world wide web by cardiac surgery patientsJeffrey Lim
Oxford Heart Centre, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford Radcliffe Hospitals NHS Trust, UK
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 10:719-20. 2010..Patients do, however, have confidence in what is available on-line. Patient education by the multi-disciplinary team before surgery remains of paramount importance...
- Randomized trial to assess the effect of supervised and unsupervised video feedback on teaching practical skillsCraig I Nesbitt
Northern Vascular Centre, Freeman Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom Electronic address
J Surg Educ 72:697-703. 2015....
- Are contrast swallows necessary immediately postlaparoscopic Heller cardiomyotomy?Anantha Madhavan
James Cook University Hospital General Surgery, James Cook University Hospital Upper GI surgery, James Cook University Hospital, Marton Road, Middlesbrough, UK
Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 24:e167-9. 2014..Postoperative contrast swallow did not have any clinical impact. We suggest that they are only indicated if there is a clinical concern and that laparoscopic cardiomyotomy can be safely carried out as a day case procedure. ..