Affiliation: Agricultural Research Service
- Ridpath J, Mark C, Chase C, Ridpath A, Neill J. Febrile response and decrease in circulating lymphocytes following acute infection of white-tailed deer fawns with either a BVDV1 or a BVDV2 strain. J Wildl Dis. 2007;43:653-9 pubmed..Because free-ranging cervid populations are frequently in contact with domestic cattle in the United States, possible transfer of BVDV between cattle and cervids has significant implications for proposed BVDV control programs...
- Ridpath J, Fulton R, Kirkland P, Neill J. Prevalence and antigenic differences observed between Bovine viral diarrhea virus subgenotypes isolated from cattle in Australia and feedlots in the southwestern United States. J Vet Diagn Invest. 2010;22:184-91 pubmed..The present study establishes a foundation for further studies examining whether vaccine protection can be improved by basing vaccines on the BVDV subgenotypes prevalent in the region in which the vaccine is to be used. ..
- Bauermann F, Flores E, Falkenberg S, Weiblen R, Ridpath J. Lack of evidence for the presence of emerging HoBi-like viruses in North American fetal bovine serum lots. J Vet Diagn Invest. 2014;26:10-7 pubmed publisher..While there is no evidence of HoBi-like viruses in NA based on tested samples, further studies are required to validate HoBi-like virus-free status and develop means to prevent the spread of HoBi-like virus into NA. ..
- Weber M, Bauermann F, Bayles D, Canal C, Neill J, Ridpath J. Comparison of 'HoBi'-like viral populations among persistent infected calves generated under experimental conditions and to inoculum virus. Virology. 2016;492:225-31 pubmed publisher....
- Downey Slinker E, Ridpath J, Sawyer J, Skow L, Herring A. Antibody titers to vaccination are not predictive of level of protection against a BVDV type 1b challenge in Bos indicus - Bos taurus steers. Vaccine. 2016;34:5053-5059 pubmed publisher..Pre-challenge vaccination response was not indicative of the level of protection nor was anamnestic antibody response correlated with health status. ..
- Weber M, Bauermann F, Canal C, Bayles D, Neill J, Ridpath J. Temporal dynamics of 'HoBi'-like pestivirus quasispecies in persistently infected calves generated under experimental conditions. Virus Res. 2017;227:23-33 pubmed publisher..Studies of the shifts in PI viral swarms will contribute to our understanding of the host and viral mechanisms that function in the maintenance of pestivirus persistent infections. ..
- Ridpath J. The contribution of infections with bovine viral diarrhea viruses to bovine respiratory disease. Vet Clin North Am Food Anim Pract. 2010;26:335-48 pubmed publisher....
- Ridpath J, Falkenberg S, Bauermann F, Vanderley B, Do Y, Flores E, et al. Comparison of acute infection of calves exposed to a high-virulence or low-virulence bovine viral diarrhea virus or a HoBi-like virus. Am J Vet Res. 2013;74:438-42 pubmed publisher..Understanding the clinical course of disease caused by HoBi-like pestiviruses will be important for the design of surveillance programs for the United States. ..
- Ridpath J, Bayles D, Neill J, Falkenberg S, Bauermann F, Holler L, et al. Comparison of the breadth and complexity of bovine viral diarrhea (BVDV) populations circulating in 34 persistently infected cattle generated in one outbreak. Virology. 2015;485:297-304 pubmed publisher..This observation makes it possible to test the correlation of this phenotype to other phenotypes such as growth rate, congenital defects, viral shed and cytokine expression. ..