E B Cahoon
Affiliation: DuPont Haskell Laboratory for Health and Environmental Sciences
- Co-expression of the borage Delta 6 desaturase and the Arabidopsis Delta 15 desaturase results in high accumulation of stearidonic acid in the seeds of transgenic soybeanHelene Eckert
Department of Agronomy and Horticulture, University of Nebraska Lincoln, Lincoln, NE 68588 0665, USA
Planta 224:1050-7. 2006....
- Conjugated fatty acids accumulate to high levels in phospholipids of metabolically engineered soybean and Arabidopsis seedsEdgar B Cahoon
USDA ARS Plant Genetics Research Unit, Donald Danforth Plant Science Center, 975 North Warson Road, St Louis, MO 63132, USA
Phytochemistry 67:1166-76. 2006..These results suggest that soybean and A. thaliana seeds are deficient in their metabolic capacity to selectively catalyze the flux of conjugated fatty acids from their site of synthesis on PC to storage in TAG...
- Biosynthetic origin of conjugated double bonds: production of fatty acid components of high-value drying oils in transgenic soybean embryosE B Cahoon
DuPont Agricultural Products, Experimental Station, Wilmington, DE 19880 0402, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96:12935-40. 1999..These findings also demonstrate a previously uncharacterized activity for Delta(12)-oleic acid desaturase-type enzymes that we have termed "conjugase."..
- Formation of conjugated delta8,delta10-double bonds by delta12-oleic-acid desaturase-related enzymes: biosynthetic origin of calendic acidE B Cahoon
DuPont Nutrition and Health, Experimental Station, Wilmington, Delaware 19880 0402, USA
J Biol Chem 276:2637-43. 2001..Regiospecificity for Delta(9)-double bonds is unprecedented among FAD2-related enzymes and further expands the functional diversity found in this family of enzymes...
- Transgenic production of epoxy fatty acids by expression of a cytochrome P450 enzyme from Euphorbia lagascae seedEdgar B Cahoon
DuPont Crop Genetics, Experimental Station, Wilmington, DE 19880 0402, USA
Plant Physiol 128:615-24. 2002..Overall, these results conclusively demonstrate that Asteraceae species and the Euphorbiaceae E. lagascae have evolved structurally unrelated enzymes to generate the Delta(12)-epoxy group of vernolic acid...
- Manipulating desaturase activities in transgenic crop plantsA J Kinney
Crop Genetics Research and Development, DuPont Experimental Station, Wilmington, DE 19880 0402, USA
Biochem Soc Trans 30:1099-103. 2002....
- The essential nature of sphingolipids in plants as revealed by the functional identification and characterization of the Arabidopsis LCB1 subunit of serine palmitoyltransferaseMing Chen
Donald Danforth Plant Science Center, St Louis, Missouri 63132, USA
Plant Cell 18:3576-93. 2006..These results demonstrate that plant SPT is a heteromeric enzyme and that sphingolipids are essential components of plant cells and contribute to growth and development...
- Dimorphecolic acid is synthesized by the coordinate activities of two divergent Delta12-oleic acid desaturasesEdgar B Cahoon
United States Department of Agriculture Agricultural Research Service, Plant Genetics Research Unit, Donald Danforth Plant Science Center, 975 N Warson Road, St Louis, MO 63132, USA
J Biol Chem 279:12495-502. 2004..The evolution of two divergent Delta(12)-oleic acid desaturases for the biosynthesis of an unusual fatty acid is unprecedented in plants...
- Fungal responsive fatty acid acetylenases occur widely in evolutionarily distant plant familiesEdgar B Cahoon
DuPont Crop Genetics, Experimental Station, Wilmington, DE 19880, USA
Plant J 34:671-83. 2003..The acetylenases described here provide probes for chemotaxonomists, and facilitate functional genomic and molecular investigations of these defensive mechanisms...
- Enhancing vitamin E in oilseeds: unraveling tocopherol and tocotrienol biosynthesisSarah C Hunter
United States Department of Agriculture, ARS, Plant Genetics Research Unit, Donald Danforth Plant Science Center, 975 North Warson Road, Saint Louis, MO 63132, USA
Lipids 42:97-108. 2007..Herein we review the recent work done in the field, focusing on branch points and metabolic engineering to enhance and alter vitamin E content and composition in oilseed crops...
- Engineering oilseeds for sustainable production of industrial and nutritional feedstocks: solving bottlenecks in fatty acid fluxEdgar B Cahoon
US Department of Agriculture Agricultural Research Service Plant Genetics Research Unit, Donald Danforth Plant Science Center, 975 North Warson Road, Saint Louis, Missouri 63132, USA
Curr Opin Plant Biol 10:236-44. 2007....
- Identification and functional characterization of the moss Physcomitrella patens delta5-desaturase gene involved in arachidonic and eicosapentaenoic acid biosynthesisSongsri Kaewsuwan
Department of Pharmacognosy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Mahidol University, 447 Sri Ayudhya Road, Ratchathewi, Bangkok 10400, Thailand
J Biol Chem 281:21988-97. 2006..In addition, overexpression of the P. patens cDNA in protoplasts isolated from a disrupted line resulted in the restoration of arachidonic acid synthesis...
- A multifunctional acyl-acyl carrier protein desaturase from Hedera helix L. (English ivy) can synthesize 16- and 18-carbon monoene and diene productsEdward Whittle
Biology Department, Brookhaven National Laboratory, Upton, New York, 11973, USA
J Biol Chem 280:28169-76. 2005..The multifunctional properties of the ivy desaturase make it well suited for further dissection of the determinants of regiospecificity...
- Metabolic redesign of vitamin E biosynthesis in plants for tocotrienol production and increased antioxidant contentEdgar B Cahoon
Crop Genetics Research and Development, Pioneer Hi Bred, A DuPont Company, Experimental Station, Wilmington, Delaware 19880, USA
Nat Biotechnol 21:1082-7. 2003..These results provide insight into the genetic basis for tocotrienol biosynthesis in plants and demonstrate the ability to enhance the antioxidant content of crops by introduction of an enzyme that redirects metabolic flux...
- Industrial oils from transgenic plantsJan Jaworski
Donald Danforth Plant Science Center, St Louis, Missouri 63132, USA
Curr Opin Plant Biol 6:178-84. 2003..However, it has not yet been possible to use these cDNAs to produce large amounts of unusual fatty acids in seeds of transgenic plants. This difficulty points to the need for a greater understanding of fatty acid metabolism in oilseeds...
- Arabidopsis mutants lacking long chain base phosphate lyase are fumonisin-sensitive and accumulate trihydroxy-18:1 long chain base phosphateYoseph Tsegaye
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland 20184, USA
J Biol Chem 282:28195-206. 2007..However, a clear role for the lyase was revealed upon perturbation of sphingolipid synthesis by treatment with the inhibitor of ceramide synthase, fumonisin B(1)...