Affiliation: Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
- Ulrich C, Bigler J, Whitton J, Bostick R, Fosdick L, Potter J. Epoxide hydrolase Tyr113His polymorphism is associated with elevated risk of colorectal polyps in the presence of smoking and high meat intake. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2001;10:875-82 pubmed....
- Ulrich C, Bigler J, Bostick R, Fosdick L, Potter J. Thymidylate synthase promoter polymorphism, interaction with folate intake, and risk of colorectal adenomas. Cancer Res. 2002;62:3361-4 pubmed..These findings raise questions regarding the molecular pathways linking folate metabolism and colorectal carcinogenesis, including whether high folate is beneficial in the presence of all metabolic genotypes. ..
- Ulrich C, Bigler J, Sparks R, Whitton J, Sibert J, Goode E, et al. Polymorphisms in PTGS1 (=COX-1) and risk of colorectal polyps. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2004;13:889-93 pubmed..These preliminary findings require confirmation in larger studies of colorectal neoplasia. ..
- Ulrich C, Yasui Y, Storb R, Schubert M, Wagner J, Bigler J, et al. Pharmacogenetics of methotrexate: toxicity among marrow transplantation patients varies with the methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase C677T polymorphism. Blood. 2001;98:231-4 pubmed..23; 34% slower to 20 000/microL, P =.08). Patients with decreased MTHFR activity appear at risk of higher MTX toxicity. Because of the high prevalence of the TT genotype, these results may have implications for MTX dosage. ..
- Ulrich C, Curtin K, Samowitz W, Bigler J, Potter J, Caan B, et al. MTHFR variants reduce the risk of G:C->A:T transition mutations within the p53 tumor suppressor gene in colon tumors. J Nutr. 2005;135:2462-7 pubmed..These results suggest a novel mechanism by which MTHFR polymorphisms can affect the risk of colon cancer. ..
- Ulrich C, Curtin K, Potter J, Bigler J, Caan B, Slattery M. Polymorphisms in the reduced folate carrier, thymidylate synthase, or methionine synthase and risk of colon cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2005;14:2509-16 pubmed..A pathway-based approach to data analysis is needed to help discern the independent and combined effects of dietary intakes and genetic variability in folate metabolism. ..