Cesar V Borlongan
Affiliation: University of South Florida
- Borlongan C, Hayashi T, Oeltgen P, SU T, Wang Y. Hibernation-like state induced by an opioid peptide protects against experimental stroke. BMC Biol. 2009;7:31 pubmed publisher..The present study demonstrates that delta opioids are crucially involved in stroke, suggesting that the opioid system is important in the study of brain injury and protection. ..
- Tajiri N, Hernandez D, Acosta S, Shinozuka K, Ishikawa H, Ehrhart J, et al. Suppressed cytokine expression immediatey following traumatic brain injury in neonatal rats indicates an expeditious endogenous anti-inflammatory response. Brain Res. 2014;1559:65-71 pubmed publisher..These results suggest a robust, immediate anti-inflammatory response mounted by the contralateral hemisphere of the young brain. ..
- Acosta S, Tajiri N, Hoover J, Kaneko Y, Borlongan C. Intravenous Bone Marrow Stem Cell Grafts Preferentially Migrate to Spleen and Abrogate Chronic Inflammation in Stroke. Stroke. 2015;46:2616-27 pubmed publisher..hBMSC transplantation is therapeutic in chronic stroke possibly by abrogating the inflammation-plagued secondary cell death. ..
- Grant Liska M, Crowley M, Lippert T, Corey S, Borlongan C. Delta Opioid Receptor and Peptide: A Dynamic Therapy for Stroke and Other Neurological Disorders. Handb Exp Pharmacol. 2017;: pubmed publisher..Ultimately, our knowledge of the DOR receptors and agonists has made the opioid system a promising target for therapeutic intervention in many neurological disorders. ..
- Lippert T, Gelineau L, Napoli E, Borlongan C. Harnessing neural stem cells for treating psychiatric symptoms associated with fetal alcohol spectrum disorder and epilepsy. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2018;80:10-22 pubmed publisher..Our ultimate goal is to advance stem cell therapy for the treatment of psychiatric disorders. ..
- Song S, Kong X, Acosta S, Sava V, Borlongan C, Sanchez Ramos J. Effects of an Inhibitor of Monocyte Recruitment on Recovery from Traumatic Brain Injury in Mice Treated with Granulocyte Colony-Stimulating Factor. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..In addition, this study confirms the importance of CCR2 and its ligand, monocyte chemotactic protein-1 (MCP-1), in mediating the inflammatory response following CCI. ..
- Knecht T, Story J, Liu J, Davis W, Borlongan C, Dela Peña I. Adjunctive Therapy Approaches for Ischemic Stroke: Innovations to Expand Time Window of Treatment. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..Thus, adjunctive treatment approach is an innovative therapeutic modality that can address the limitations of tPA treatment and potentially expand the time window for ischemic stroke therapy. ..
- Stonesifer C, Corey S, Ghanekar S, Diamandis Z, Acosta S, Borlongan C. Stem cell therapy for abrogating stroke-induced neuroinflammation and relevant secondary cell death mechanisms. Prog Neurobiol. 2017;158:94-131 pubmed publisher....