Affiliation: Washington State University
- Nilsson E, Zhang B, Skinner M. Gene bionetworks that regulate ovarian primordial follicle assembly. BMC Genomics. 2013;14:496 pubmed publisher..This systems biology approach has helped elucidate the molecular control of primordial follicle assembly and provided potential therapeutic targets for the treatment of ovarian disease. ..
- Skinner M, Guerrero Bosagna C. Role of CpG deserts in the epigenetic transgenerational inheritance of differential DNA methylation regions. BMC Genomics. 2014;15:692 pubmed publisher..Observations suggest a potential regulatory role for lower density CpG regions termed "CpG deserts". The potential evolutionary origins of these regions is also discussed. ..
- Skinner M, Manikkam M, Guerrero Bosagna C. Epigenetic transgenerational actions of environmental factors in disease etiology. Trends Endocrinol Metab. 2010;21:214-22 pubmed publisher..This review provides an overview of the epigenetics and biology of how environmental factors can promote transgenerational phenotypes and disease. ..
- Skinner M, Rawls A, Wilson Rawls J, Roalson E. Basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor gene family phylogenetics and nomenclature. Differentiation. 2010;80:1-8 pubmed publisher..This phylogenetic and genomic analysis of the bHLH gene family has revealed unique elements of the evolution and functional relationships of the different genes in the bHLH gene family. ..
- Skinner M. Role of epigenetics in developmental biology and transgenerational inheritance. Birth Defects Res C Embryo Today. 2011;93:51-5 pubmed publisher..This impacts area such as cellular differentiation, tissue development, environmental induced disease etiology, epigenetic transgenerational inheritance, and the general systems biology of organisms and evolution...
- Skinner M. Environmental epigenetic transgenerational inheritance and somatic epigenetic mitotic stability. Epigenetics. 2011;6:838-42 pubmed....
- Skinner M, Guerrero Bosagna C, Haque M, Nilsson E, Bhandari R, McCarrey J. Environmentally induced transgenerational epigenetic reprogramming of primordial germ cells and the subsequent germ line. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e66318 pubmed publisher..Insights into the molecular control of germline transmitted epigenetic inheritance are provided. ..
- Skinner M, Manikkam M, Tracey R, Guerrero Bosagna C, Haque M, Nilsson E. Ancestral dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane (DDT) exposure promotes epigenetic transgenerational inheritance of obesity. BMC Med. 2013;11:228 pubmed publisher..The etiology of disease such as obesity may be in part due to environmentally induced epigenetic transgenerational inheritance. ..
- Nilsson E, Larsen G, Skinner M. Roles of Gremlin 1 and Gremlin 2 in regulating ovarian primordial to primary follicle transition. Reproduction. 2014;147:865-74 pubmed publisher..Insights into the regulatory networks affecting the pool of primordial follicles are important to understand the molecular basis for reproductive diseases such as primary ovarian insufficiency. ..
- McNew S, Beck D, Sadler Riggleman I, Knutie S, Koop J, Clayton D, et al. Epigenetic variation between urban and rural populations of Darwin's finches. BMC Evol Biol. 2017;17:183 pubmed publisher..In summary, our study documents local population epigenetic variation within each of two species of Darwin's finches. ..
- Thorson J, Smithson M, Beck D, Sadler Riggleman I, Nilsson E, Dybdahl M, et al. Epigenetics and adaptive phenotypic variation between habitats in an asexual snail. Sci Rep. 2017;7:14139 pubmed publisher..This provides a potential explanation for the capacity of this asexual snail to spread by adaptive evolution or plasticity to different environments. ..