Gunter P Wagner
Affiliation: Yale University
- Lynch V, Roth J, Wagner G. Adaptive evolution of Hox-gene homeodomains after cluster duplications. BMC Evol Biol. 2006;6:86 pubmed..These results further suggest that adaptive evolution actively contributed to Hox-gene homeodomain functions. ..
- ..This asymmetric expression correlates with independent morphological evolutionary variation of digit 1. ..
- Wagner G, Nnamani M, Chavan A, Maziarz J, Protopapas S, Condon J, et al. Evolution of Gene Expression in the Uterine Cervix related to Steroid Signaling: Conserved features in the regulation of cervical ripening. Sci Rep. 2017;7:4439 pubmed publisher..Western-blotting on mouse cervix confirmed large scale histone de-acetylation in labor. This finding may have important implications for the control of premature cervical ripening and prevention of preterm birth in humans. ..
- Wagner G. Evolutionary genetics: the nature of hidden genetic variation unveiled. Curr Biol. 2003;13:R958-60 pubmed
- Wagner G, Takahashi K, Lynch V, Prohaska S, Fried C, Stadler P, et al. Molecular evolution of duplicated ray finned fish HoxA clusters: increased synonymous substitution rate and asymmetrical co-divergence of coding and non-coding sequences. J Mol Evol. 2005;60:665-76 pubmed..e., putative cis-regulatory elements. These results suggest that the 5' HoxA genes in the same cluster belong to a co-evolutionary unit in which genes have a tendency to diverge together. ..
- Kin K, Maziarz J, Chavan A, Kamat M, Vasudevan S, Birt A, et al. The Transcriptomic Evolution of Mammalian Pregnancy: Gene Expression Innovations in Endometrial Stromal Fibroblasts. Genome Biol Evol. 2016;8:2459-73 pubmed publisher....
- Chavan A, Griffith O, Wagner G. The inflammation paradox in the evolution of mammalian pregnancy: turning a foe into a friend. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 2017;47:24-32 pubmed publisher..We propose that this model allows us to understand the differences between 'good inflammation' and 'bad inflammation'. Further, it allows us to understand the influence of inflammation on the outcome of pregnancy and maternal health. ..
- Armstrong D, McGowen M, Weckle A, Pantham P, Caravas J, Agnew D, et al. The core transcriptome of mammalian placentas and the divergence of expression with placental shape. Placenta. 2017;57:71-78 pubmed publisher..115 genes are important for the core functions of the placenta in all eutherian species analyzed. The molecular functions and pathways enriched in the core placenta align with the evolutionarily conserved functionality of the placenta. ..