Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: fz2
Description: frizzled 2
Alias: CG9739, D-Fz2, D-fz2, DFZ2, DFz-2, DFz2, Dfrz2, Dfz2, Dfz[], Dm Fz2, Dmel\CG9739, FZ2, Fz2, dFz2, dfz(2), dfz2, dfz2r, frz2, fz-2, CG9739 gene product from transcript CG9739-RG, CG9739-PA, CG9739-PB, CG9739-PC, CG9739-PD, CG9739-PE, CG9739-PF, CG9739-PG, D-frizzled2, DFrizzled2, Dfrizzled[], Frizzled2, drosophila frizzled 2, frizzled-2, fz2-PA, fz2-PB, fz2-PC, fz2-PD, fz2-PE, fz2-PF, fz2-PG
Species: fruit fly
Publications118 found, 100 shown here
- Wnt-mediated axon guidance via the Drosophila Derailed receptorShingo Yoshikawa
Molecular Neurobiology Laboratory, Salk Institute for Biological Studies, PO Box 85800, San Diego, California 92186, USA
Nature 422:583-8. 2003..Our results reveal an unexpected role in axon guidance for a Wnt family member, and show that the Derailed receptor is an essential component of Wnt signalling in these guidance events...
- Wingless repression of Drosophila frizzled 2 expression shapes the Wingless morphogen gradient in the wingK M Cadigan
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Developmental Biology, Stanford University Medical Center, California 94305, USA
Cell 93:767-77. 1998..Here, we show that high levels of a Wg receptor, Drosophila frizzled 2 (Dfz2), stabilize Wg, allowing it to reach cells far from its site of synthesis...
- Dally cooperates with Drosophila Frizzled 2 to transduce Wingless signallingX Lin
Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Nature 400:281-4. 1999..Our results indicate that Dally may act as a co-receptor for Wg, and that Dally, together with Drosophila Frizzled 2, modulates both short- and long-range activities of Wg.
- Wingless promotes cell survival but constrains growth during Drosophila wing developmentLaura A Johnston
Department of Genetics and Development, College of Physicians and Surgeons Columbia University 701 West 168th Street, New York, NY 10032, USA
Nat Cell Biol 5:827-33. 2003..We propose that the cell-survival- and growth-constraining activities of Wg function to sculpt and delimit final wing size as part of its overall patterning programme...
- Arrow (LRP6) and Frizzled2 cooperate to degrade Wingless in Drosophila imaginal discsEugenia Piddini
National Institute for Medical Research, The Ridgeway Mill Hill, London NW7 1AA, UK
Development 132:5479-89. 2005..We find that one of its signalling receptors, Frizzled2, stimulates Wingless internalization both in wing imaginal discs and cultured cells...
- Wingless transduction by the Frizzled and Frizzled2 proteins of DrosophilaC M Chen
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Genetics and Development, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY 10032, USA
Development 126:5441-52. 1999..Two members of the Frizzled (Fz) family of seven-pass transmembrane proteins, Drosophila Fz and Fz2, can bind Wg and are candidate Wg receptors...
- Secreted frizzled-related protein-1 binds directly to Wingless and is a biphasic modulator of Wnt signalingA Uren
Laboratory of Cellular and Molecular Biology, Division of Basic Sciences, NCI, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Biol Chem 275:4374-82. 2000..These results provide new insights about the Wnt binding and biological activity of sFRPs...
- Protein phosphatase 1 regulates assembly and function of the beta-catenin degradation complexWen Luo
Department of Oncological Sciences, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112 5550, USA
EMBO J 26:1511-21. 2007..Specific inhibition of PP1 in this pathway may offer therapeutic approaches to disorders with increased beta-catenin signaling...
- A new member of the frizzled family from Drosophila functions as a Wingless receptorP Bhanot
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Nature 382:225-30. 1996..show here that cultured Drosophila cells transfected with a novel member of the frizzled gene family in Drosophila, Dfz2, respond to added Wingless protein by elevating the level of the Armadillo protein...
- Interactions between Wingless and DFz2 during Drosophila wing developmentJ Zhang
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15260 USA
Development 125:3075-85. 1998..Wg protein has been shown in cell culture to functionally interact with DFz2, a receptor that is structurally related to the tissue polarity protein Frizzled (Fz)...
- Differential recruitment of Dishevelled provides signaling specificity in the planar cell polarity and Wingless signaling pathwaysJ D Axelrod
Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115 USA
Genes Dev 12:2610-22. 1998..Wingless (Wg) signaling also requires Dsh and may utilize DFz2 as a receptor...
- Identification and characterization of a novel line of Drosophila Schneider S2 cells that respond to wingless signalingS Yanagawa
Department of Viral Oncology, Institute for Virus Research, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
J Biol Chem 273:32353-9. 1998..S2R+ cells are as sensitive to Wg as are clone 8 cells but can grow in simpler medium. Therefore, the S2R+ cell line is likely to prove highly useful for in vitro analyses of Wg signaling...
- Frizzled signaling and the developmental control of cell polarityJ M Shulman
Wellcome CRC Institute, UK
Trends Genet 14:452-8. 1998..Recently described examples from the nematode and frog suggest that the developmental control of cell polarity by FZ receptors might represent a functionally conserved signaling mechanism...
- Use of dsRNA-mediated genetic interference to demonstrate that frizzled and frizzled 2 act in the wingless pathwayJ R Kennerdell
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15260, USA
Cell 95:1017-26. 1998..Interference of the frizzled and Drosophila frizzled 2 genes together produced defects in embryonic patterning that mimic loss of wingless function...
- frizzled and frizzled 2 play a partially redundant role in wingless signaling and have similar requirements to wingless in neurogenesisK M Bhat
Department of Cell Biology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Cell 95:1027-36. 1998The Drosophila Frizzled (Fz) and Frizzled2 (DFz2) proteins function as receptors for Wingless (Wg) in tissue culture cells...
- A new secreted protein that binds to Wnt proteins and inhibits their activitiesJ C Hsieh
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Nature 398:431-6. 1999....
- Frizzled and Dfrizzled-2 function as redundant receptors for Wingless during Drosophila embryonic developmentP Bhanot
Department of Molecular Biology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Development 126:4175-86. 1999In cell culture assays, Frizzled and Dfrizzled2, two members of the Frizzled family of integral membrane proteins, are able to bind Wingless and transduce the Wingless signal...
- Dfrizzled-3, a new Drosophila Wnt receptor, acting as an attenuator of Wingless signaling in wingless hypomorphic mutantsA Sato
Department of Biophysics and Biochemistry, Graduate School of Science, University of Tokyo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
Development 126:4421-30. 1999..Wingless signaling may thus be attenuated by Dfrizzled-3 at least in wingless hypomorphic mutants...
- Wingless gradient formation in the Drosophila wingM Strigini
European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Heidelberg, 69117, Germany
Curr Biol 10:293-300. 2000..Wg protein is found in vesicles in Wg-responsive cells in the embryo and imaginal discs. It has been proposed that Wg may be transported by a vesicle-mediated mechanism...
- Signaling specificity by Frizzled receptors in DrosophilaM Boutros
European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Developmental Biology Programme, Meyerhofstrasse 1, 69117 Heidelberg, Germany
Science 288:1825-8. 2000..Fz receptors can signal through beta-catenin-dependent and -independent pathways. In Drosophila, Fz and Fz2 are redundant receptors for Wg...
- Syndecan-1 is required for Wnt-1-induced mammary tumorigenesis in miceC M Alexander
Division of Newborn Medicine, Childrens Hospital, Enders 950, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Nat Genet 25:329-32. 2000..Our results provide both genetic and biochemical evidence that syndecan-1 can modulate Wnt signalling, and is critical for Wnt-1-induced tumorigenesis of the mouse mammary gland...
- Pathway specificity by the bifunctional receptor frizzled is determined by affinity for winglessE J Rulifson
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Department of Developmental Biology, Stanford University, California 94305, USA
Mol Cell 6:117-26. 2000..found that the ligand-binding domain (CRD) of Fz has an approximately 10-fold lower affinity for Wg than the CRD of DFz2, a Wg receptor without polarity activity...
- Functional binding of secreted molecules to heparan sulfate proteoglycans in DrosophilaG H Baeg
Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Curr Opin Cell Biol 12:575-80. 2000....
- Non-equivalent roles of Drosophila Frizzled and Dfrizzled2 in embryonic wingless signal transductionM M Moline
Department of Biochemistry, Molecular Biology and Cell Biology, Northwestern University, 2153 Sheridan Road, Evanston, Illinois, 60208 3500, USA
Curr Biol 10:1127-30. 2000..patterning is performed by a single family member, Wingless (Wg), acting through its receptors Frizzled (Fz) and DFrizzled2 (Dfz2)...
- arrow encodes an LDL-receptor-related protein essential for Wingless signallingM Wehrli
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia 19104, USA
Nature 407:527-30. 2000..Thus, our data suggests a new and conserved function for this LRP subfamily in Wingless/Wnt signal reception...
- Regulated endocytic routing modulates wingless signaling in Drosophila embryosL Dubois
National Institute for Medical Research, The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, NW7 1AA London, United Kingdom
Cell 105:613-24. 2001....
- Seven Wnt homologues in Drosophila: a case study of the developing tracheaeM Llimargas
Institut de Biologia Molecular de Barcelona IBMB, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas CSIC, C Jordi Girona 18 26, 08034 Barcelona, Spain
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:14487-92. 2001..We suggest that the main advantage of retaining a number of similar genes is that it allows more subtle forms of control and more flexibility during evolution...
- Transducing properties of Drosophila Frizzled proteinsW R Strapps
Department of Genetics and Development, Center for Neurobiology and Behavior, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, 701 West 168 Street, Room 602, New York, NY 10032, USA
Development 128:4829-35. 2001In Drosophila, two closely related serpentine receptors, Frizzled (Fz) and D-Frizzled2 (Fz2) are able to act as receptors for the secreted Wnt peptide, Wingless (Wg)...
- DWnt4 regulates cell movement and focal adhesion kinase during Drosophila ovarian morphogenesisE David Cohen
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Dev Cell 2:437-48. 2002..b>Dfrizzled2, Disheveled, and protein kinase C are also required...
- A mutational analysis of dishevelled in Drosophila defines novel domains in the dishevelled protein as well as novel suppressing alleles of axinAndrea Penton
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Developmental Biology, Stanford University Medical School, Stanford, California 94305 5323, USA
Genetics 161:747-62. 2002..We also recovered second-site-suppressing mutations in axin, mapping at a region that may specifically interact with overexpressed Dsh...
- Ligand receptor interactions in the Wnt signaling pathway in DrosophilaChi Hwa Wu
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Developmental Biology, Stanford University Medical School, California 94305 5323, USA
J Biol Chem 277:41762-9. 2002..We have therefore examined whether a soluble form of the Arrow molecule can bind to Wingless and Frizzled, but no interactions were detected...
- The Drosophila Wnt, wingless, provides an essential signal for pre- and postsynaptic differentiationMary Packard
Department of Biology, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003, USA
Cell 111:319-30. 2002..We suggest that Wg signals the coordinated development of pre- and postsynaptic compartments...
- Wg/Wnt signal can be transmitted through arrow/LRP5,6 and Axin independently of Zw3/Gsk3beta activityNicholas S Tolwinski
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ 08544, USA
Dev Cell 4:407-18. 2003..We propose that Arrow (LRP) recruits Axin to the membrane, and that this interaction leads to Axin degradation. As a consequence, Armadillo is no longer bound by Axin, resulting in nuclear signaling by Armadillo...
- Frizzled signalling and cell polarisation in Drosophila and vertebratesDavid Strutt
Centre for Developmental Genetics, Department of Biomedical Science, University of Sheffield, Western Bank, Sheffield S10 2TN, UK
Development 130:4501-13. 2003..This review discusses recent findings regarding non-canonical Frizzled signalling and cell polarisation...
- A second canon. Functions and mechanisms of beta-catenin-independent Wnt signalingMichael T Veeman
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Pharmacology, Center for Developmental Biology, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Dev Cell 5:367-77. 2003....
- Direct binding of the PDZ domain of Dishevelled to a conserved internal sequence in the C-terminal region of FrizzledHing C Wong
Department of Structural Biology, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN 38105, USA
Mol Cell 12:1251-60. 2003..Together, our results identify a missing molecular connection within the Wnt pathway. Differences in the binding affinity of the Dvl PDZ domain and its binding partners may be important in regulating signal transduction by Dvl...
- Wingless and Notch signaling provide cell survival cues and control cell proliferation during wing developmentAntonio J Giraldez
European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Meyerhofstrasse 1, 69117 Heidelberg, Germany
Development 130:6533-43. 2003..However, only part of this effect was attributable to Notch-dependent induction of Wg, suggesting that other Notch-inducible signaling molecules contribute to the control of cell proliferation in the wing...
- LDL receptor-related proteins 5 and 6 in Wnt/beta-catenin signaling: arrows point the wayXi He
Division of Neuroscience, Children s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Development 131:1663-77. 2004..We also discuss the regulation of Lrp5/Lrp6 by other extracellular ligands, and LRP5 mutations associated with familial osteoporosis and other disorders...
- Wnt signals across the plasma membrane to activate the beta-catenin pathway by forming oligomers containing its receptors, Frizzled and LRPFeng Cong
Cancer Biology and Genetics Program, Sloan Kettering Institute, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
Development 131:5103-15. 2004..In addition, the beta-catenin signaling mediated by ectopic expression of LRP is not dependent on Disheveled or Wnt, but can also be augmented by oligomerization of LRP receptors...
- Spatial regulation of Wingless morphogen distribution and signaling by Dally-like proteinCatherine A Kirkpatrick
The Developmental Biology Center, Department of Pediatrics, Department of Genetics, Cell Biology, and Development, 6 160 Jackson Hall, 321 Church Street SE, The University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Dev Cell 7:513-23. 2004..These findings suggest that modification of an HSPG by a secreted hydrolase can control morphogen levels in the matrix...
- Evidence that the cysteine-rich domain of Drosophila Frizzled family receptors is dispensable for transducing WinglessChiann Mun Chen
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Department of Genetics and Development, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, 701 West 168th Street, New York, NY 10032, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:15961-6. 2004..Thus, we infer that signal transduction does not require binding of Wg to the CRD, but instead depends on interactions between Wg and other portions of the receptor, or other proteins of the receptor complex...
- Drosophila glypicans Dally and Dally-like shape the extracellular Wingless morphogen gradient in the wing discChun Han
Division of Developmental Biology, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH 45229, USA
Development 132:667-79. 2005..analyzed the roles of glypicans Dally and Dally-like protein (Dlp), the Wg receptors Frizzled (Fz) and Fz2, and the Wg co-receptor Arrow (Arr) in Wg gradient formation in the wing disc...
- Trimeric G protein-dependent frizzled signaling in DrosophilaVladimir L Katanaev
Department of Genetics and Development, Center for Neurobiology and Behavior, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, 701 West 168 Street, New York, NY 10032, USA
Cell 120:111-22. 2005..Thus, Go is likely part of a trimeric G protein complex that directly transduces Fz signals from the membrane to downstream components...
- The apical determinants aPKC and dPatj regulate Frizzled-dependent planar cell polarity in the Drosophila eyeAlexandre Djiane
Brookdale Department of Molecular, Cell and Developmental Biology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Cell 121:621-31. 2005..We propose a model whereby the dPatj/aPKC complex regulates PCP by inhibiting Fz1 in cells where it should not be active...
- Genetic evidence that Drosophila frizzled controls planar cell polarity and Armadillo signaling by a common mechanismMichael Povelones
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Developmental Biology, Beckman Center, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Genetics 171:1643-54. 2005..This suggests that fz controls these two different signaling activities by a common mechanism. In addition, this screen yielded a set of missense mutations that identify amino acids specifically required for fz signaling function...
- The role of the cysteine-rich domain of Frizzled in Wingless-Armadillo signalingMichael Povelones
Department of Developmental Biology, Beckman Center, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305 5428, USA
EMBO J 24:3493-503. 2005..We propose that Fz activates signaling in two steps: Fz uses its CRD to capture Wg, and once bound Wg interacts with the membrane portion of the receptor to initiate signaling...
- Wingless signaling at synapses is through cleavage and nuclear import of receptor DFrizzled2Dennis Mathew
Department of Neurobiology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA 01605, USA
Science 310:1344-7. 2005..Wingless binds the seven-pass transmembrane DFrizzled2 receptor, but the ensuing events at synapses are not known...
- The endocytic pathway and formation of the Wingless morphogen gradientEric Marois
Max Planck Institute for Cell Biology and Genetics, Pfotenhauerstr 108, 01307 Dresden, Germany
Development 133:307-17. 2006..Thus, subcellular localization of Wingless along the apical-basal axis of receiving cells may be instrumental in shaping the Wingless gradient...
- Endocytic trafficking of Wingless and its receptors, Arrow and DFrizzled-2, in the Drosophila wingAnna F Rives
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Philadelphia, PA 190104 6058, USA
Dev Biol 293:268-83. 2006..Here, we characterize the vesicular trafficking of Wg and its receptors, Arrow and DFrizzled-2 (DFz2), and investigate whether trafficking is important to regulate Wg signaling during dorsoventral patterning of the ..
- Dual roles for the trimeric G protein Go in asymmetric cell division in DrosophilaVladimir L Katanaev
Department of Genetics and Development, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, 701 West 168th Street, Suite 1120, New York, NY 10032, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:6524-9. 2006..Thus, Go likely integrates the signaling that directs the formation of the complex with the signaling that directs where the complex forms...
- Nuclear trafficking of Drosophila Frizzled-2 during synapse development requires the PDZ protein dGRIPBulent Ataman
Department of Neurobiology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA 01605 2324, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:7841-6. 2006..suggest that Wingless is secreted by motor neuron terminals and binds to postsynaptic Drosophila Frizzled-2 (DFz2) receptors...
- A signaling network for patterning of neuronal connectivity in the Drosophila brainMohammed Srahna
Laboratory of Neurogenetics, Department of Molecular and Developmental Genetics, Flanders Interuniversity Institute for Biotechnology VIB, University of Leuven School of Medicine, Leuven, Belgium
PLoS Biol 4:e348. 2006..JNK activity is necessary and sufficient for axon extension, whereas the antagonistic Wnt and FGF signals act to balance the extension and retraction required for the generation of the precise wiring pattern...
- Frizzled-Dishevelled signaling specificity outcome can be modulated by Diego in DrosophilaJun Wu
Developmental and Regenerative Biology, Mt Sinai School of Medicine, One Gustave L Levy Place, New York, NY 10029, USA
Mech Dev 125:30-42. 2008..Our data suggest that Dgo sequesters Dsh to a functionally distinct Fz/PCP signaling compartment within the cell...
- Rapid activity-dependent modifications in synaptic structure and function require bidirectional Wnt signalingBulent Ataman
Department of Neurobiology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA 01605, USA
Neuron 57:705-18. 2008..Evoked activity induces Wnt1/Wg release from synaptic boutons, which stimulates both a postsynaptic DFz2 nuclear import pathway as well as a presynaptic pathway involving GSK-3beta/Shaggy...
- The frizzled extracellular domain is a ligand for Van Gogh/Stbm during nonautonomous planar cell polarity signalingJun Wu
Mount Sinai School of Medicine, Department of Developmental and Regenerative Biology, 1 Gustav L Levy Place, New York, NY 10029, USA
Dev Cell 15:462-9. 2008..Thus, direct Fz-Vang/Stbm interactions represent an intriguing mechanism that may account for the global orientation of cells within the plane of their epithelial field...
- Interpretation of the wingless gradient requires signaling-induced self-inhibitionEugenia Piddini
MRC National Institute for Medical Research, Mill Hill, London NW7 1AA, UK
Cell 136:296-307. 2009..Without lateral inhibition, some cells acquire ectopic fates. Lateral inhibition may be a general mechanism behind the interpretation of morphogen gradients...
- Trans-synaptic transmission of vesicular Wnt signals through Evi/WntlessCeren Korkut
Department of Neurobiology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA 01655, USA
Cell 139:393-404. 2009..For a video summary of this article, see the PaperFlick file with the Supplemental Data available online...
- The core protein of glypican Dally-like determines its biphasic activity in wingless morphogen signalingDong Yan
Division of Developmental Biology, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH 45229, USA
Dev Cell 17:470-81. 2009..Based on these data, we propose that the principal function of Dlp is to retain Wg on the cell surface. As such, it can either compete with the receptor or provide ligands to the receptor, depending on the ratios of Wg, Fz2, and Dlp.
- The nuclear import of Frizzled2-C by Importins-beta11 and alpha2 promotes postsynaptic developmentTimothy J Mosca
The F M Kirby Neurobiology Center, Children s Hospital Boston, Department of Neurobiology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Nat Neurosci 13:935-43. 2010..In Drosophila, the ligand Wingless causes the C terminus of its Frizzled2 receptor (Fz2-C) to be cleaved and translocated from the postsynaptic density to nuclei...
- A direct and functional interaction between Go and Rab5 during G protein-coupled receptor signalingVladimir Purvanov
Department of Biology, University of Konstanz, Konstanz 78457, Germany
Sci Signal 3:ra65. 2010..The interplay between heterotrimeric G proteins and Rab GTPases controlled receptor internalization, revealing a previously uncharacterized regulatory mechanism in GPCR signaling...
- PTK7/Otk interacts with Wnts and inhibits canonical Wnt signallingHanna Peradziryi
Department of Developmental Biochemistry, Center for Molecular Physiology of the Brain, GZMB, University of Gottingen, Germany
EMBO J 30:3729-40. 2011..In Drosophila, Otk interacts with Wnt4 and opposes canonical Wnt signalling in embryonic patterning. We propose a model where PTK7/Otk functions in non-canonical Wnt signalling by turning off the canonical signalling branch...
- Secreted Wingless-interacting molecule (Swim) promotes long-range signaling by maintaining Wingless solubilityKimberly A Mulligan
The Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:370-7. 2012..In Drosophila, swim RNAi phenotypes resemble wg loss-of-function phenotypes in long-range signaling. We propose that Swim is a cofactor that promotes long-range Wg signaling in vivo by maintaining the solubility of Wg...
- Nuclear envelope budding enables large ribonucleoprotein particle export during synaptic Wnt signalingSean D Speese
Department of Neurobiology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, 01605, USA
Cell 149:832-46. 2012..We previously reported that during synapse development, a fragment of the Wnt-1 receptor, DFrizzled2, enters postsynaptic nuclei where it forms prominent foci...
- Activity-dependent retrograde laminin A signaling regulates synapse growth at Drosophila neuromuscular junctionsPei I Tsai
Institute of Molecular Biology, Academia Sinica, Taipei 115, Taiwan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:17699-704. 2012..Our data indicate that synaptic activities down-regulate levels of the retrograde signal LanA to promote NMJ growth...
- A targeted glycan-related gene screen reveals heparan sulfate proteoglycan sulfation regulates WNT and BMP trans-synaptic signalingNeil Dani
Department of Biological Sciences and Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Kennedy Center for Research on Human Development, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee, United States of America
PLoS Genet 8:e1003031. 2012..Anterograde Wg signaling via Wg receptor dFrizzled2 C-terminus nuclear import and retrograde Gbb signaling via synaptic MAD phosphorylation and nuclear import are ..
- Dishevelled activates JNK and discriminates between JNK pathways in planar polarity and wingless signalingM Boutros
European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Developmental Biology Programme, Heidelberg, Germany
Cell 94:109-18. 1998..Genesis of epithelial planar polarity requires Frizzled, whereas Dfz2 affects morphogenesis by wingless-mediated signaling. Dishevelled is required in both signaling pathways...
- Directionality of wingless protein transport influences epidermal patterning in the Drosophila embryoM M Moline
Department of Biochemistry, Molecular Biology and Cell Biology, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL 60208 3500, USA
Development 126:4375-84. 1999....
- Drosophila wnt-1 undergoes a hydrophobic modification and is targeted to lipid rafts, a process that requires porcupineLinda Zhai
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Massachusetts 01003, USA
J Biol Chem 279:33220-7. 2004..Based on these results we propose a model whereby lipidation targets Wnt-1 to secretory vesicles that deliver the ligand to specialized microdomains at the cell surface where it can be packaged for secretion...
- The Wingless morphogen gradient is established by the cooperative action of Frizzled and Heparan Sulfate Proteoglycan receptorsGyeong Hun Baeg
Department of Genetics, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Dev Biol 276:89-100. 2004..In addition, analyses of the two Fz proteins indicate that the Fz and DFz2 receptors, in addition to transducing the signal, modulate the slope of the Wg gradient by regulating the amount of ..
- Global analysis of alternative splicing regulation by insulin and wingless signaling in Drosophila cellsBritta Hartmann
Centre de Regulacio Genomica, Parc de Recerca Biomedica de Barcelona, Dr Aiguader 88, Barcelona, Spain
Genome Biol 10:R11. 2009..We report a genome-wide analysis using splicing-sensitive microarrays of changes in alternative splicing induced by activation of two distinct signaling pathways, insulin and wingless, in Drosophila cells in culture...
- Balanced ubiquitylation and deubiquitylation of Frizzled regulate cellular responsiveness to Wg/WntAkiko Mukai
Research Group of Glycobiology and Glycotechnology, Mitsubishi Kagaku Institute of Life Sciences, Machida, Japan
EMBO J 29:2114-25. 2010..These results unveil a novel mechanism that regulates the cellular responsiveness to Wg/Wnt by controlling the cell surface level of Frizzled...
- Drosophila heparan sulfate 6-O endosulfatase regulates Wingless morphogen gradient formationAdam Kleinschmit
Department of Genetics, Cell Biology and Development, The University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Dev Biol 345:204-14. 2010..Thus, Sulf1 participates in a feedback loop, potentially stabilizing the shape of the Wg gradient. Our study shows that the modification of HS fine structure provides a novel mechanism for the regulation of morphogen gradients...
- A screen for genes expressed in the olfactory organs of Drosophila melanogaster identifies genes involved in olfactory behaviourNarelle E Tunstall
School of Biological Sciences, Monash University, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
PLoS ONE 7:e35641. 2012....
- Serpentine proteins slither into the wingless and hedgehog fieldsN Perrimon
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Cell 86:513-6. 1996
- Polarity, proliferation and the hedgehog pathwayM Dean
Nat Genet 14:245-7. 1996
- Pattern formation and developmental mechanismsK Anderson
Curr Opin Genet Dev 7:455-8. 1997
- TCF/LEF factor earn their wingsH Clevers
Department of Immunology, University Hospital Utrecht, The Netherlands
Trends Genet 13:485-9. 1997..So, transcriptional activation of TCF target genes by beta-catenin appears to be a central event in development and cellular transformation...
- Wingless signaling: the inconvenient complexities of lifeR T Cox
Department of Biology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill 27599 3280, USA
Curr Biol 8:R140-4. 1998
- Regulation of the protein kinase activity of Shaggy(Zeste-white3) by components of the wingless pathway in Drosophila cells and embryosL Ruel
Division of Experimental Therapeutics, Ontario Cancer Institute, and the Department of Medical Biophysics, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario M5G 2M9, Canada
J Biol Chem 274:21790-6. 1999..following exposure of cells to Wg protein and by expression of downstream components of Wg signaling, Drosophila frizzled 2 and dishevelled. Wg-dependent inactivation of Sgg(Zw3) is accompanied by serine phosphorylation...
- Extracellular modulation of the Hedgehog, Wnt and TGF-beta signalling pathways during embryonic developmentJ Capdevila
The Salk Institute for Biological Studies, Gene Expression Laboratory, 10010 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Curr Opin Genet Dev 9:427-33. 1999....
- A dual role for homothorax in inhibiting wing blade development and specifying proximal wing identities in DrosophilaF Casares
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, Columbia University, HHSC 1108, New York, NY 10032 USA
Development 127:1499-508. 2000..Our results suggest that tsh and hth block wing blade development by repressing some of the activities of the Notch pathway at the D/V compartment boundary...
- Proteoglycans and pattern formation: sugar biochemistry meets developmental geneticsS B Selleck
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
Trends Genet 16:206-12. 2000..In this review, these biological findings are placed in the context of proteoglycan biochemistry and molecular function...
- Wnt signaling: an embarrassment of receptorsA Bejsovec
Department of Biology, Duke University, B336 LSRC Box 91000, Durham, North Carolina 27708, USA
Curr Biol 10:R919-22. 2000..Mutations disrupting LDL-receptor related proteins produce loss-of-function Wnt phenotypes, suggesting that these cell surface molecules may represent essential co-receptors for Wnt ligands...
- Naked cuticle targets dishevelled to antagonize Wnt signal transductionR Rousset
Department of Developmental Biology, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Beckman Center B300, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Genes Dev 15:658-71. 2001..Our results suggest that Nkd acts directly through Dsh to limit Wg activity and thus determines how efficiently Wnt signals stabilize Armadillo (Arm)/beta-catenin and activate downstream genes...
- Wingless capture by Frizzled and Frizzled2 in Drosophila embryosM Lecourtois
National Institute for Medical Research, The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, London NW7 1AA, United Kingdom
Dev Biol 235:467-75. 2001..For example, the Patched receptor limits the range of its ligand Hedgehog. Somehow, the Frizzled2 receptor has the opposite effect on its ligand...
- Increasingly complex: new players enter the Wnt signaling networkPetra Pandur
Abt Biochemie, Universitat Ulm, Germany
Bioessays 24:881-4. 2002....
- Similarities between the Hedgehog and Wnt signaling pathwaysDaniel Kalderon
Department of Biological Sciences, Columbia University, New York NY 10027, USA
Trends Cell Biol 12:523-31. 2002..This review compares the two pathways to explore whether our more extensive knowledge of Wnt pathways can be of predictive value for investigating Hedgehog signaling...
- Wnt/Wingless signaling through beta-catenin requires the function of both LRP/Arrow and frizzled classes of receptorsLiang Schweizer
Cell Biology Program, Sloan Kettering Institute for Cancer Research, 1275 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
BMC Cell Biol 4:4. 2003..The question then arises whether both receptors are absolutely required to transduce Wnt signals...
- Prepattern genes and signaling molecules regulate stripe expression to specify Drosophila flight muscle attachment sitesArjumand Ghazi
National Centre for Biological Sciences, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, GKVK PO, Bangalore 560 065, India
Mech Dev 120:519-28. 2003..The Wg signal differentially influences the formation of different sr domains. These results identify the multiple regulatory elements involved in the positioning of Drosophila flight muscle attachment sites...
- Wingless signaling: an axin to grindWhitney M Jones
Department of Biology, Duke University, B336 LSRC, Research Drive, Durham, North Carolina 27708, USA
Curr Biol 13:R479-81. 2003..New findings in Drosophila reveal a novel mechanism for down-regulating the activity of the Wingless/Wnt pathway...
- Wnts and Hedgehogs: lipid-modified proteins and similarities in signaling mechanisms at the cell surfaceRoel Nusse
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Developmental Biology, Beckman Center, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Development 130:5297-305. 2003..Several other aspects of Wnt and Hedgehog transport and signaling are discussed, as well as the possible origin of these pathways...
- Self-enhanced ligand degradation underlies robustness of morphogen gradientsAvigdor Eldar
Department of Molecular Genetics, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot 76100, Israel
Dev Cell 5:635-46. 2003..The two robust networks are consistent with properties of the Wg and Hh morphogens in the Drosophila wing disc and provide novel insights into their function...
- Casein kinase Iepsilon modulates the signaling specificities of dishevelledFeng Cong
Program in Cell Biology, Sloan Kettering Institute, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10021, USA
Mol Cell Biol 24:2000-11. 2004..We suggest that CKIepsilon functions as a molecular switch to direct Dvl from the JNK pathway to the beta-catenin pathway, possibly by altering the conformation of the C terminus of Dvl...
- Wingless eliminates ommatidia from the edge of the developing eye through activation of apoptosisHua V Lin
Department of Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 1048, USA
Development 131:2409-18. 2004..We consider the implications of these findings for eye development and function in Drosophila and other organisms...
- Identification of a novel target of D/V signaling in Drosophila wing disc: Wg-independent function of the organizerRuchi Bajpai
Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology, Uppal Road, Hyderabad, India 500 007
Gene Expr Patterns 5:113-21. 2004..The non-cell autonomous nature of Ubx-mediated repression of CG32062 expression suggests that the novel component of D/V signaling is also negatively regulated during haltere specification...
- A screen for genes regulating the wingless gradient in Drosophila embryosSabrina C Desbordes
Department of Genetics, University of Cambridge, UK
Genetics 170:749-66. 2005..Thus, our assay can be used effectively to screen for genes regulating Wingless distribution or transport...
- DWnt4 regulates the dorsoventral specificity of retinal projections in the Drosophila melanogaster visual systemMakoto Sato
Laboratory of Morphogenesis, Institute of Molecular and Cellular Biosciences, University of Tokyo, Yayoi, Bunkyo, Tokyo 113 0032, Japan
Nat Neurosci 9:67-75. 2006..b>Dfrizzled2 and dishevelled, respectively, encode a receptor and a signaling molecule required for Wnt signaling...
- Fat and Wingless signaling oppositely regulate epithelial cell-cell adhesion and distal wing development in DrosophilaManish Jaiswal
Department of Biological Sciences and Bioengineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur 20 80 16, India
Development 133:925-35. 2006..Finally, we show that Ft intersects Wnt/Wg signaling, downstream of the Wg ligand. Fat and Wg signaling thus exert opposing regulation to coordinate cell-cell adhesion and patterning along the PD axis of Drosophila wing...
- CKIepsilon/discs overgrown promotes both Wnt-Fz/beta-catenin and Fz/PCP signaling in DrosophilaThomas J Klein
Department of Molecular, Cell, and Developmental Biology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, 1 Gustave L Levy Place, New York, New York 10029, USA
Curr Biol 16:1337-43. 2006..Furthermore, we have identified the primary kinase target residue of CKIepsilon on Dsh. Thus, our data suggest that CKIepsilon modulates Wnt/beta-catenin and Fz/PCP signaling pathways via kinase-dependent and -independent mechanisms...
- Different Wnt signals act through the Frizzled and RYK receptors during Drosophila salivary gland migrationKatherine E Harris
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Development 134:2017-25. 2007..Disruption of this signal, through mutations in Wnt4, frizzled or frizzled 2, results in misguided salivary glands that curve ventrally...
- TISSUE SPECIFICITY OF WINGLESS SIGNALING IN DROSOPHILAKenneth Cadigan; Fiscal Year: 2005..Since the machinery for Wnt signal transduction is also evolutionarily conserved, understanding tissue specific mechanisms of Wg signaling in flies should have broad relevance to other organisms. ..
- Identification of new Wnt signaling componentsKenneth Cadigan; Fiscal Year: 2006..Obtaining genetic confirmation of the importance of these putative Wnt signaling components will provide the confidence to pursue their study in the context of cancer biology and as targets for drug discovery. ..
- CONFOCAL MICROSCOPE FOR LIVE CELL & MULTIWAVELENGTH WORKMark Peifer; Fiscal Year: 2001..Our proposal seeks to meet these new needs, by the creation of a multi-user facility that will provide a state-of-the art confocal microscope to a large group of NIH funded investigators. ..
- GENETIC CONTROL OF CELL FATE DIVERSITY IN DROSOPHILAAmy Bejsovec; Fiscal Year: 2003..This specificity may indicate a novel function in the Wg pathway. Aim 4 describes a plan for the molecular cloning of this new gene and for the subsequent characterization of its gene product. ..
- Mechanisms governing polarity in Drosophila oogenesisDaniel Kalderon; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- 2005 Structural, Functional and Evolutionary Genomics Gordon ConferenceKevin White; Fiscal Year: 2005..This conference aims to bring together leading researchers from the major sub-disciplines of genome science. It also serves to expose talented young investigators to cutting-edge research in this field. ..
- Identification of extrinsic signals in blood formationJan Christian; Fiscal Year: 2006..Understanding how normal blood development occurs is crucial to understanding and preventing disease resulting from misregulation of these pathways. ..
- Tiling Path Microarray Re-amplifable Resource DrosophilaKevin White; Fiscal Year: 2006..This feature of the proposed resource would enable comprehensive RNAi screens, rapid cloning of regulatory sequences, and potentially many other applications. ..
- Analysis of BMP-4 activity in Cleavage mutant miceJan Christian; Fiscal Year: 2007..Understanding the molecular mechanisms by which BMP activity is regulated is key to understanding, treating and preventing congenital anomalies and diseases. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Comparative Studies of Gene Regulation in DrosophilaKevin White; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- GENOMIC ANALYSES OF DROSOPHILA DEVELOPMENTKevin White; Fiscal Year: 2008..The methods we develop should be applicable and relevant to the human genome as well, which could be the subject of similar future studies. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ANALYSIS OF NEUROFIBROMATOSIS TYPE 1 GENE FUNCTIONAndre Bernards; Fiscal Year: 2003..These studies will help us understand the normal function of the NF1 gene in vivo and will contribute to our understanding of the diverse manifestations of the disease process. ..