Genomes and Genes
betaine homocysteine methyltransferase
Gene Symbol: betaine homocysteine methyltransferase
Description: betaine--homocysteine S-methyltransferase
Alias: BHMT1, HEL-S-61p, betaine--homocysteine S-methyltransferase 1, epididymis secretory sperm binding protein Li 61p
Publications212 found, 100 shown here
- Dietary folate and selenium affect dimethylhydrazine-induced aberrant crypt formation, global DNA methylation and one-carbon metabolism in ratsCindy D Davis
US Department of Agriculture, Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center, Grand Forks, ND 58202 9034, USA
J Nutr 133:2907-14. 2003..05) colonic DNA methylation and the activities of liver DNA methyltransferase and betaine homocysteine methyltransferase and increased plasma glutathione concentrations. Folate deficiency increased (P < 0...
- Dimethylthetin treatment causes diffuse alveolar lung damage: a pilot study in a sheep model of Continuous Ambulatory Peritoneal Dialysis (CAPD)Sandy Slow
Biochemistry Unit, Canterbury Health Laboratories, P O Box 151, Christchurch, New Zealand
Exp Toxicol Pathol 58:285-90. 2007..Toxicity associated with DMT treatment raises concerns for its use in further studies. However, sub-acute administration of DMT to sheep may provide a useful model of acute alveolar damage...
- Epigenetics of proteasome inhibition in the liver of rats fed ethanol chronicallyJoan Oliva
Los Angeles Biomedical Research Institute at Harbor UCLA Medical Center, 1124 W Carson St Torrance, CA 90502, USA
World J Gastroenterol 15:705-12. 2009..To examine the effects of ethanol-induced proteasome inhibition, and the effects of proteasome inhibition in the regulation of epigenetic mechanisms...
- Investigations of a common genetic variant in betaine-homocysteine methyltransferase (BHMT) in coronary artery diseaseIlan S Weisberg
Department of Human Genetics, McGill University Health Center Montreal Children s Hospital, 4060 Ste Catherine West, Room 200, Montreal, Canada H3Z 2Z3
Atherosclerosis 167:205-14. 2003....
- Neural tube defects and folate pathway genes: family-based association tests of gene-gene and gene-environment interactionsAbee L Boyles
Center for Human Genetics, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Environ Health Perspect 114:1547-52. 2006..Most studies addressed these genes individually, often with different populations providing conflicting results...
- Betaine-homocysteine methyltransferase: human liver genotype-phenotype correlationQiping Feng
Division of Clinical Pharmacology, Department of Molecular Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Mol Genet Metab 102:126-33. 2011..These observations may help us to understand individual variation in the regulation of BHMT in the human liver and its possible relationship to variation in methylation...
- Selenium deficiency in Fisher-344 rats decreases plasma and tissue homocysteine concentrations and alters plasma homocysteine and cysteine redox statusE O Uthus
U S Department of Agriculture, ARS, Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center, Grand Forks, ND 58202, USA
J Nutr 132:1122-8. 2002..02) by selenium deficiency. The activities of liver betaine homocysteine methyltransferase, methionine synthase, S-adenosylmethionine synthase, cystathionine synthase and cystathionase were ..
- Comparative genomics of the methionine metabolism in Gram-positive bacteria: a variety of regulatory systemsDmitry A Rodionov
Institute for Information Transmission Problems, Russian Academy of Sciences, Bolshoi Karetny pereulok 19, Moscow 127994, Russia
Nucleic Acids Res 32:3340-53. 2004..In particular, Oceanobacillus iheyensis possibly uses a homolog of the betaine-homocysteine methyltransferase bhmT gene from vertebrates to substitute missing bacterial-type methionine synthases...
- Expression of methylation pathway enzymes in bovine oocytes and preimplantation embryosShuntaro Ikeda
Laboratory of Animal Physiology and Functional Anatomy, Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
J Exp Zool A Ecol Genet Physiol 313:129-36. 2010..These results provide a new insight into nutrient-sensitive epigenetic regulation and perturbation at the earliest stage of our life...
- Hepatic very-low-density lipoprotein and apolipoprotein B production are increased following in vivo induction of betaine-homocysteine S-methyltransferaseJanet D Sparks
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Biochem J 395:363-71. 2006....
- Betaine can partially spare choline in chicks but only when added to diets containing a minimal level of cholineRyan N Dilger
Department of Animal Sciences, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
J Nutr 137:2224-8. 2007..However, addition of betaine to diets containing minimal choline allows a marked reduction in the total dietary choline requirement...
- Complete deficiency of methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase in mice is associated with impaired retinal function and variable mortality, hematological profiles, and reproductive outcomesAndrea K Lawrance
Departments of Human Genetics, Pediatrics, and Biology, McGill University Montreal Children s Hospital Research Institute, Montreal, H3Z 2Z3, Canada
J Inherit Metab Dis 34:147-57. 2011..In addition, our novel findings of decreased spleen weights, thrombocytopenia, and impaired retinal function warrant investigation in patients with severe MTHFR deficiency or other forms of homocystinuria...
- Liver choline dehydrogenase and kidney betaine-homocysteine methyltransferase expression are not affected by methionine or choline intake in growing ratsSandy Slow
Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana IL 61801, USA
J Nutr 136:2279-83. 2006..Some degree of fatty liver developed in all rats fed a choline-devoid diet, indicating that supplemental Met cannot completely compensate for the lack of dietary choline in growing rats...
- Heat stress modulates hepatocyte membrane proteins during endotoxemiaRene Przkora
Shriners Hospital for Children and Department of Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77550, USA
Burns 33:628-33. 2007..This study investigates the influence of HS on hepatocyte membrane proteins during endotoxemia using 2D gel electrophoresis...
- S-alkylated homocysteine derivatives: new inhibitors of human betaine-homocysteine S-methyltransferaseJiri Jiracek
Institute of Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Flemingovo nam 2, 166 10 Prague 6, Czech Republic
J Med Chem 49:3982-9. 2006..Some of these compounds are currently being tested in mice to study the influence of BHMT on the metabolism of sulfur amino acids in vivo...
- Betaine-homocysteine methyltransferase-2: cDNA cloning, gene sequence, physical mapping, and expression of the human and mouse genesL H Chadwick
Department of Genetics, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
Genomics 70:66-73. 2000....
- Dimethylglycine accumulates in uremia and predicts elevated plasma homocysteine concentrationsD O McGregor
Department of Nephrology, Christchurch Hospital, Christchurch, New Zealand
Kidney Int 59:2267-72. 2001..DMG is a known feedback inhibitor of BHMT. We postulated that DMG might accumulate in CRF and contribute to hyperhomocysteinemia by inhibiting BHMT activity...
- High casein diet decreases plasma homocysteine concentration in ratsSeiya Ohuchi
Department of Applied Biological Chemistry, Faculty of Agriculture, Shizuoka University, 836 Ohya, Suruga ku, Shizuoka 422 8529, Japan
J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) 55:22-30. 2009....
- Polymorphisms in arsenic(+III oxidation state) methyltransferase (AS3MT) predict gene expression of AS3MT as well as arsenic metabolismKarin Engström
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Section of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Environ Health Perspect 119:182-8. 2011..The fraction of urinary MMA is a marker for susceptibility to As-related diseases...
- Sex differences in the control of plasma concentrations and urinary excretion of glycine betaine in patients attending a lipid disorders clinicMichael Lever
Clinical Biochemistry Unit, Canterbury Health Laboratories, Christchurch, New Zealand
Clin Biochem 40:1225-31. 2007..To find whether the control of betaine metabolism differs between male and female patients and identify the effects of insulin and other hormones...
- Proteomic analysis on the alteration of protein expression in gills of ayu (Plecoglossus altivelis) associated with salinity changeXin J Lu
Faculty of Life Science and Biotechnology, Ningbo University, Ningbo City 315211, People s Republic of China
Comp Biochem Physiol Part D Genomics Proteomics 5:185-9. 2010..It was suggested that cell volume-regulatory response, especially the protection by the BHMT/betaine system might play an important role in ayu acclimation to salinity change...
- Yeast, plants, worms, and flies use a methyltransferase to metabolize age-damaged (R,S)-AdoMet, but what do mammals do?Chris R Vinci
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Molecular Biology Institute, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California 90095 1569, USA
Rejuvenation Res 13:362-4. 2010..We find no evidence for the enzymatic breakdown of (R,S)-AdoMet in these extracts. Thus, mammals may metabolize (R,S)-AdoMet using a different strategy than other organisms...
- High-level multiplex genotyping of polymorphisms involved in folate or homocysteine metabolism by matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization mass spectrometryKlaus Meyer
LOCUS for Homocysteine and Related Vitamins, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
Clin Chem 50:391-402. 2004..Future large epidemiologic studies of the genetic basis of hyperhomocysteinemia will require high-throughput assays for polymorphisms of genes related to folate and Hcy metabolism...
- In vitro modification of betaine-homocysteine S-methyltransferase by tissue-type transglutaminaseAkira Ichikawa
Department of Applied Biology, Kyoto Institute of Technology, Matsugasaki, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8585, Japan
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 36:1981-92. 2004..This regulatory reaction might be involved in the regulation of homocysteine metabolism in the liver...
- Transplacental arsenic plus postnatal 12-O-teradecanoyl phorbol-13-acetate exposures associated with hepatocarcinogenesis induce similar aberrant gene expression patterns in male and female mouse liverJie Liu
Inorganic Carcinogenesis Section, Laboratory of Comparative Carcinogenesis, National Cancer Institute at NIEHS, Mail Drop F0 09, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 213:216-23. 2006....
- Inborn errors of sulfur-containing amino acid metabolismJames D Finkelstein
Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Department of Medicine, George Washington University, Washington DC 20422, USA
J Nutr 136:1750S-1754S. 2006..with isolated defects in all of the reactions of the combined pathway with only one exception: betaine homocysteine methyltransferase. Studies of these inborn errors have contributed significantly to our knowledge of human ..
- Proteomic analysis of membrane-associated proteins from rat liver autophagosomesAnders Øverbye
Proteomics Section, Department of Cell Biology, Institute for Cancer Research, Rikshospitalet Radiumhospitalet HF, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Autophagy 3:300-22. 2007....
- Rat liver 10-formyltetrahydrofolate dehydrogenase, carbamoyl phosphate synthetase 1 and betaine homocysteine S-methytransferase were co-purified on Kunitz-type soybean trypsin inhibitor-coupled sepharose CL-4BHyun Sic Kim
College of Pharmacy, Pusan National University, Jangjeon Dong, Kumjeong Ku, Busan 609 735, Korea
J Biochem Mol Biol 40:604-9. 2007..These results demonstrate that the catalytic site of rat FDH has a similar structure with those of serine proteases. Also, the SBTI-affinity column will be useful for the purification of rat liver proteins such as FDH, CPS1 and BHMT...
- Homocysteine metabolism in diabetesE P Wijekoon
Department of Biochemistry, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St John s, NL, Canada A1B 3X9
Biochem Soc Trans 35:1175-9. 2007....
- Novel interaction partners of Bardet-Biedl syndrome proteinsF Oeffner
Center of Human Genetics, University of Marburg, 35037 Marburg, Germany
Cell Motil Cytoskeleton 65:143-55. 2008..Our work provides new insights into the understanding of BBS interactions and thus their biological function...
- Creatine synthesis is a major metabolic process in neonatal piglets and has important implications for amino acid metabolism and methyl balanceJohn T Brosnan
Department of Biochemistry, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St John s, Canada A1B 3X9
J Nutr 139:1292-7. 2009..Creatine synthesis is a quantitatively major metabolic process in piglets...
- Endogenous folates and single-carbon metabolism in the ovarian follicle, oocyte and pre-implantation embryoW Y Kwong
School of Biosciences, University of Nottingham, Sutton Bonington Campus, Loughborough, Leicestershire LE12 5RD, UK
Reproduction 139:705-15. 2010..These data provide an insight into the importance of maternal dietary folate/B-vitamin status during the peri-conceptional period...
- Regulation of homocysteine metabolism and methylation in human and mouse tissuesNatalie C Chen
Department of Pharmacology, Temple University School of Medicine, 3420 North Broad St, MRB, Philadelphia, PA 19140, USA
FASEB J 24:2804-17. 2010..Our study is the first to provide panoramic tissue gene expression profiles and mathematical models of tissue methylation regulation...
- A candidate CpG SNP approach identifies a breast cancer associated ESR1-SNPSophia Harlid
Department of Medical Microbiology, Lund University, Malmo, Sweden
Int J Cancer 129:1689-98. 2011..In conclusion, a candidate gene search strategy focusing on methylation-related SNPs did identify a SNP that associated with breast cancer at high significance...
- Molecular characterization and analysis of the porcine betaine homocysteine methyltransferase and betaine homocysteine methyltransferase-2 genesRadhika S Ganu
Division of Nutritional Sciences, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, 1201 W Gregory Dr, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Gene 473:133-8. 2011b>Betaine homocysteine methyltransferase (BHMT) and BHMT-2 enzymes methylate homocysteine to form methionine using betaine and S-methylmethionine, respectively...
- BHMT G742A and MTHFD1 G1958A polymorphisms and Down syndrome risk in the Brazilian populationBruna Lancia Zampieri
Department of Biología Molecular, Faculdade de Medicina de São José do Rio Preto FAMERP, Unidade de Pesquisa em Genética e Biologia Molecular UPGEM, Sao Jose do Rio Preto, SP, Brazil
Genet Test Mol Biomarkers 16:628-31. 2012..Mechanisms underlying meiotic nondisjunction are poorly understood. Attempts to elucidate the causes of Down syndrome (DS) have analyzed the relationship between polymorphism in folate metabolism and DS...
- Maternal risk for Down syndrome is modulated by genes involved in folate metabolismBruna Lancia Zampieri
Unidade de Pesquisa em Genética e Biologia Molecular UPGEM, Sao Jose do Rio Preto, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Dis Markers 32:73-81. 2012..66A>G polymorphism affects the MMA concentration. These results are consistent with the modulation of the maternal risk for DS by these polymorphisms...
- Genetic variants associated with glycine metabolism and their role in insulin sensitivity and type 2 diabetesWeijia Xie
Genetics of Complex Traits, Peninsula School of Medicine, University of Exeter, Exeter, UK
Diabetes 62:2141-50. 2013..Genetic variants associated with genes in the glycine biosynthesis pathways do not provide consistent evidence for a role of glycine in diabetes-related traits...
- Osmotic regulation of hepatic betaine metabolismLars Hoffmann
Department of General Paediatrics, University Children s Hospital, Heinrich Heine University, Duesseldorf, Germany
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 304:G835-46. 2013..changes in the expression of various genes involved in betaine metabolism, in particular of betaine homocysteine methyltransferase, dimethylglycine dehydrogenase, and sarcosine dehydrogenase...
- Alterations in the metabolomics of sulfur-containing substances in rat kidney by betaineYoung Chul Kim
College of Pharmacy, Seoul National University, San 56 1 Shinrim Dong, Kwanak Ku, Seoul, 151 742, Korea
Amino Acids 46:963-8. 2014..Further studies need to be conducted to clarify the physiological/pharmacological significance of these findings...
- Genome-wide association study of selenium concentrationsMarilyn C Cornelis
Channing Division of Network Medicine, Department of Nutrition
Hum Mol Genet 24:1469-77. 2015..Our findings show evidence of a genetic link between Se and Hcy pathways, both involved in cardiometabolic disease. ..
- Assessment of the European flounder responses to chemical stress in the English Channel, considering biomarkers and life history traitsCélie Dupuy
Universite Europeenne de Bretagne, Universite de Bretagne Occidentale, UMR 6539 CNRS UBO IRD IFREMER, Laboratoire des Sciences de l Environnement Marin LEMAR, Institut Universitaire Europeen de la Mer, 29280 Plouzane, France Institut National de la Recherche Scientifique, Institut Armand Frappier INRS IAF, 31 Boulevard des Prairies, Laval, Quebec H7V 1B7, Canada Electronic address
Mar Pollut Bull 95:634-45. 2015..Flounder life history traits were analyzed by otolith microchemistry, in order to depict how the fish use their habitat and thus respond to chemical stress in estuaries. ..
- Role of defective methylation reactions in ethanol-induced dysregulation of intestinal barrier integrityPaul G Thomes
Research Service, Veterans Affairs Nebraska Western Iowa Health Care System, Omaha, NE 68105, USA Department of Internal Medicine, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198, USA
Biochem Pharmacol 96:30-8. 2015..We also propose betaine as a potential therapeutic option for leaky gut in alcohol-consuming patients who are at the risk of developing ALD. ..
- Evolutionary Analyses and Natural Selection of Betaine-Homocysteine S-Methyltransferase (BHMT) and BHMT2 GenesRadhika S Ganu
Division of Nutritional Sciences, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana, IL 61801, United States of America
PLoS ONE 10:e0134084. 2015..The dN/dS ratios in both BHMT and BHMT2 was highest following the gene duplication, suggesting that purifying selection played a lesser role as the two paralogs diverged in function. ..
- Betaine supplementation is less effective than methionine restriction in correcting phenotypes of CBS deficient miceSapna Gupta
Cancer Biology Program, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA, 19111, USA
J Inherit Metab Dis 39:39-46. 2016..Our findings indicate that while betaine supplementation does have some beneficial effects, it is not as effective as methionine restriction for reversing the phenotypes associated with severe CBS deficiency in mice. ..
- NADPH oxidase 4 regulates homocysteine metabolism and protects against acetaminophen-induced liver damage in miceThomas V A Murray
Cardiovascular Division, King s College London, 125 Coldharbour Lane, London E5 0AD
Free Radic Biol Med 89:918-30. 2015....
- Comparative transcriptome analysis on the alteration of gene expression in ayu (Plecoglossus altivelis) larvae associated with salinity changeXin jiang Lu
Laboratory of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, School of Marine Sciences, Ningbo University, Ningbo 315211, China
Dongwuxue Yanjiu 37:126-35. 2016..Our data indicate that FW acclimation reduced the growth rate of ayu larvae, which might result from the expression alteration of genes related to endocrine hormones, energy metabolism, and direct osmoregulation. ..
- Dietary choline and betaine intake, choline-metabolising genetic polymorphisms and breast cancer risk: a case-control study in ChinaYu feng Du
1Department of Medical Statistics and Epidemiology, School of Public Health, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou 510080, People s Republic of China
Br J Nutr 116:961-8. 2016..Our results suggest that SNP PEMT rs7946 and BHMT rs3733890 may interact with choline intake on breast cancer risk. ..
- Identification of Organ-Enriched Protein Biomarkers of Acute Liver Injury by Targeted Quantitative Proteomics of Blood in Acetaminophen- and Carbon-Tetrachloride-Treated Mouse Models and Acetaminophen Overdose PatientsShizhen Qin
Institute for Systems Biology, 401 Terry North, Seattle, Washington 98109 5234, United States
J Proteome Res 15:3724-3740. 2016..85, specificity: 0.84, accuracy: 85%). These five blood proteins are candidates for detecting acetaminophen-induced liver injury using next-generation diagnostic devices (e.g, microfluidic ELISA assays)...
- Genetic Variation in Choline-Metabolizing Enzymes Alters Choline Metabolism in Young Women Consuming Choline Intakes Meeting Current RecommendationsAriel B Ganz
Cornell University, Division of Nutritional Sciences, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Int J Mol Sci 18:. 2017..Such metabolic differences may contribute to disease pathogenesis and prognosis over the long-term...
- Methionine supply to growing steers affects hepatic activities of methionine synthase and betaine-homocysteine methyltransferase, but not cystathionine synthaseBarry D Lambert
Department of Animal Sciences and Industry, Kansas State University, Manhattan 66506 1600, USA
J Nutr 132:2004-9. 2002..04), with 0 and 10 g/d Met being higher than the intermediate level. Data from this experiment indicate that sulfur amino acid metabolism may be regulated differently in cattle than in other tested species...
- Combining combinatorial chemistry and affinity chromatography: highly selective inhibitors of human betaine: homocysteine S-methyltransferaseMichaela Collinsova
Institute of Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Flemingovo nam 2, 16610 Praha 6, Czech Republic
Chem Biol 10:113-22. 2003..Further optimization uncovered Val-Phe-psi[PO(2-)-CH(2)]-Leu-His-NH(2) as a potent BHMT inhibitor that has an IC(50) of about 1 microM...
- Betaine analogues alter homocysteine metabolism in ratsSandy Slow
Biochemistry Unit, Canterbury Health Laboratories, PO Box 151, Christchurch, New Zealand
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 36:870-80. 2004..The study shows that glycine betaine analogues have multiple effects on homocysteine metabolism (250)...
- Betaine: a key modulator of one-carbon metabolism and homocysteine statusPer Magne Ueland
LOCUS for Homocysteine and Related Vitamins, Institute of Medicine, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
Clin Chem Lab Med 43:1069-75. 2005..Betaine status should be investigated in pathologies related to altered metabolism of homocysteine and folate, including cardiovascular disease, cancer and neural tube defects...
- Methionine flux to transsulfuration is enhanced in the long living Ames dwarf mouseEric O Uthus
US Department of Agriculture, ARS, Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center, ND 58202 9034, USA
Mech Ageing Dev 127:444-50. 2006..3-fold, p = 0.013), glycine N-methyltransferase (3.8-fold, p = 0.023), betaine homocysteine methyltransferase (5.5-fold, p = 0.0006), S-adenosylhomocysteine hydrolase (3.8-fold, p = 0...
- Inhibition of betaine-homocysteine S-methyltransferase causes hyperhomocysteinemia in miceMichaela Collinsova
Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
J Nutr 136:1493-7. 2006..These studies are the first to show that transient inhibition of BHMT in vivo causes transient hyperhomocysteinemia, and that dimethylsulfoniopropionate can reduce a post-Met load rise in tHcy...
- The GST-BHMT assay and related assays for autophagyPatrick B Dennis
University of Cincinnati, Genome Research Institute, Department of Cancer and Cell Biology, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Methods Enzymol 452:97-118. 2009..b>Betaine homocysteine methyltransferase (BHMT) is one of many cytosolic proteins found in the mammalian autophagosome, and delivery of ..
- 118 SNPs of folate-related genes and risks of spina bifida and conotruncal heart defectsGary M Shaw
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Neonatal and Developmental Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA, USA
BMC Med Genet 10:49. 2009..Investigations into genetic variation that influences transport and metabolism of folate will help fill this data gap. We focused on 118 SNPs involved in folate transport and metabolism...
- Gene expression modifications in the liver caused by binge drinking and S-adenosylmethionine feeding. The role of epigenetic changesJun Li
LABioMed Research Institute at Harbor UCLA Medical Center, 1000 W Carson St, Los Angeles, CA, 90509, USA
Genes Nutr 5:169-79. 2010..In conclusion, profound changes in gene expression evolved between 3 h and 12 post ethanol bolus. SAMe down regulated these changes in gene expression at 3 h, and less so at 12 h...
- All-trans-retinoic acid intensifies endoplasmic reticulum stress in N-acetylglucosaminyltransferase V repressed human hepatocarcinoma cells by perturbing homocysteine metabolismYing Ying Xu
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Shanghai Medical College, Fudan University, 130 Dongan Road, Shanghai 200032, China
J Cell Biochem 109:468-77. 2010..These results provide support for the hypothesis that ATRA is an anticancer agent...
- Maternal folate-related gene environment interactions and congenital heart defectsCharlotte A Hobbs
Department of Pediatrics, Birth Defects Research Section, Arkansas Children s Hospital Research Institute, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, College of Medicine, Little Rock, Arkansas, USA
Obstet Gynecol 116:316-22. 2010..To investigate whether women with congenital heart defect (CHD)-affected pregnancies were more likely to have functional single-nucleotide polymorphisms in genes encoding enzymes in folate-dependent pathways...
- Folate and choline metabolism gene variants and development of uterine cervical carcinomaAdrianna Mostowska
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Poznan University of Medical Sciences, 6 Swiecickiego St, 60 781 Poznan, Poland
Clin Biochem 44:596-600. 2011..The aim of this study was to evaluate the possibility that polymorphic variants of genes that may affect DNA methylation status are associated with the risk of cervical cancer in the Polish population...
- Homocysteine homeostasis in the rat is maintained by compensatory changes in cystathionine β-synthase, betaine-homocysteine methyltransferase, and phosphatidylethanolamine N-methyltransferase gene transcription occurring in response to maternal protein anAgata Chmurzynska
Department of Human Nutrition and Hygiene, Poznań University of Life Sciences Wojska Polskiego 31, 60 624 Poznan
Nutr Res 31:572-8. 2011..We conclude that maternal diet during gestation has an important effect on the transcription level of these 3 genes, but changes in gene expression were not associated with significant changes in progeny homocysteine concentrations...
- Deletion of betaine-homocysteine S-methyltransferase in mice perturbs choline and 1-carbon metabolism, resulting in fatty liver and hepatocellular carcinomasYa Wen Teng
Department of Nutrition, School of Public Health, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
J Biol Chem 286:36258-67. 2011..A lack of Bhmt also affects susceptibility to fatty liver and hepatocellular carcinoma. We suggest that functional polymorphisms in BHMT that significantly reduce activity may have similar effects in humans...
- Association between 11 genetic polymorphisms in folate-metabolising genes and head and neck cancer riskAna Lívia Silva Galbiatti
Genetics and Molecular Biology Research Unit, UPGEM, University Graduate School of Medical, Sao Jose do Rio Preto, Brazil
Eur J Cancer 48:1525-31. 2012....
- Intrauterine growth restriction leads to changes in sulfur amino acid metabolism, but not global DNA methylation, in Yucatan miniature pigletsDylan S Mackay
Department of Biochemistry, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St John s, NL, Canada
J Nutr Biochem 23:1121-7. 2012....
- Choline supplementation and measures of choline and betaine status: a randomised, controlled trial in postmenopausal womenJulie M W Wallace
Northern Ireland Centre for Food and Health NICHE, University of Ulster, Coleraine, County Londonderry, UK
Br J Nutr 108:1264-71. 2012....
- Folate network genetic variation predicts cardiovascular disease risk in non-Hispanic white malesSusan M Wernimont
Division of Nutritional Sciences, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, USA
J Nutr 142:1272-9. 2012..This work supports a role for SHMT1-related genes and nuclear folate metabolism, including the thymidylate biosynthesis pathway, in mediating CVD risk...
- Genetic polymorphisms modulate the folate metabolism of Brazilian individuals with Down syndromeJ M Biselli
Departamento de Biologia Molecular, Faculdade de Medicina de São José do Rio Preto FAMERP, Unidade de Pesquisa em Genética e Biologia Molecular UPGEM, Av Brigadeiro Faria Lima, n o 5416 Bloco U 6, Sao Jose do Rio Preto, SP, CEP 15 090 000, Brazil
Mol Biol Rep 39:9277-84. 2012..These findings could help to understand how genetic variation impacts folate metabolism and what metabolic consequences these variants have in individuals with trisomy 21...
- Proteomic differences between hepatocellular carcinoma and nontumorous liver tissue investigated by a combined gel-based and label-free quantitative proteomics studyDominik A Megger
Medizinisches Proteom Center, Ruhr Universitat Bochum, Bochum, Germany
Mol Cell Proteomics 12:2006-20. 2013..Based on these results we assume that major vault protein and betaine-homocysteine S-methyltransferase have the potential to act as diagnostic HCC biomarker candidates that are worth to be followed in further validation studies. ..
- Characterization of differentially expressed genes in liver in response to the rearing temperature of rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykiss and their heritable differencesHiromi Oku
National Research Institute of Aquaculture, Tamaki Station, Tamaki, Mie, 519 0423, Japan
Fish Physiol Biochem 40:1757-69. 2014..On the other hand, three metabolic genes (betaine homocysteine methyltransferase, triosephosphate isomerase, and glucose-6-phosphatase) were down-regulated, indicating a metabolic ..
- Long-term omega-3 fatty acid supplementation prevents expression changes in cochlear homocysteine metabolism and ameliorates progressive hearing loss in C57BL/6J miceRaquel Martínez-Vega
Instituto de Investigaciones Biomedicas Alberto Sols CSIC UAM, Arturo Duperier 4, 28029, Madrid, Spain, Unidad 761, Centro de Investigación Biomédica en Red de Enfermedades Raras CIBERER, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, 28029, Madrid, Spain
J Nutr Biochem 26:1424-33. 2015..Altogether, the results obtained suggest a long-term protective role of omega-3 supplementation on cochlear metabolism and progression of hearing loss. ..
- Downregulation of hepatic betaine:homocysteine methyltransferase (BHMT) expression in taurine-deficient mice is reversed by taurine supplementation in vivoHalina Jurkowska
Division of Nutritional Sciences, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, 14853, USA
Amino Acids 48:665-76. 2016..Within the liver, mRNA abundance for both CSAD and BHMT was upregulated in parallel with protein levels, indicating regulation of BHMT and CSAD mRNA synthesis or degradation...
- Metabolic dysregulation in first-episode schizophrenia patients with respect to genetic variation in one-carbon metabolismBłazej Misiak
Department of Psychiatry, Wroclaw Medical University, 10 Pasteur Street, 50 367 Wroclaw, Poland Department of Genetics, Wroclaw Medical University, 1 Marcinkowski Street, 50 368 Wroclaw, Poland Electronic address
Psychiatry Res 238:60-7. 2016..None of them remained significant after Bonferroni correction. Our results indicate that metabolic dysregulation in patients with FES is not associated with genetic variation in one-carbon metabolism...
- Folate deprivation induces cell cycle arrest at G0/G1 phase and apoptosis in hippocampal neuron cells through down-regulation of IGF-1 signaling pathwayYang Yang
Key Laboratory of Animal Physiology and Biochemistry, College of Veterinary Medicine, Nanjing Agricultural University, Nanjing 210095, PR China
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 79:222-230. 2016....
- The RFC1 80G>A, among Common One-Carbon Polymorphisms, Relates to Survival Rate According to DNA Global Methylation in Primary Liver CancersSara Moruzzi
Department of Medicine, University of Verona School of Medicine, Verona, Italy
PLoS ONE 11:e0167534. 2016....
- Prenatal betaine exposure modulates hypothalamic expression of cholesterol metabolic genes in cockerels through modifications of DNA methylationAbdulrahman A Idriss
Key Laboratory of Animal Physiology and Biochemistry, College of Veterinary Medicine, Nanjing Agricultural University, Nanjing 210095, P R China
Poult Sci . 2016..These results indicate that maternal betaine modulates hypothalamic cholesterol metabolism in cockerels through modifying DNA methylation on the promoter of cholesterol metabolic genes...
- Perturbations in choline metabolism cause neural tube defects in mouse embryos in vitroMelanie C Fisher
Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, School of Medicine, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7090, USA
FASEB J 16:619-21. 2002..Choline was oxidized to betaine, and betaine homocysteine methyltransferase was expressed...
- Betaine homocysteine methyltransferase: gene cloning and expression analysis in rat liver cirrhosisMarc Forestier
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, University of Berne, Murtenstrasse 35, CH 3010, Berne, Switzerland
Biochim Biophys Acta 1638:29-34. 2003..Using differential display, we identified betaine homocysteine methyltransferase (BHMT) as a gene down-regulated in rat liver cirrhosis and most likely involved in this ..
- Localization of the PE methylation pathway and SR-BI to the canalicular membrane: evidence for apical PC biosynthesis that may promote biliary excretion of phospholipid and cholesterolEphraim Sehayek
Laboratory of Biochemical Genetics and Metabolism, The Rockefeller University, 1230 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Lipid Res 44:1605-13. 2003..A prominent protein revealed by this analysis was betaine homocysteine methyltransferase (BHMT)...
- Betaine as a determinant of postmethionine load total plasma homocysteine before and after B-vitamin supplementationPal I Holm
LOCUS for Homocysteine and Related Vitamins, University of Bergen, N 5021 Bergen, Norway
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 24:301-7. 2004..Betaine is a substrate in the betaine-homocysteine methyltransferase reaction, converting homocysteine to methionine. There are only sparse data on plasma betaine as a determinant of the plasma total homocysteine (tHcy) concentration...
- Crystal structure of rat liver betaine homocysteine s-methyltransferase reveals new oligomerization features and conformational changes upon substrate bindingBeatriz Gonzalez
Grupo de Cristalografia Macromolecular y Biologia Estructural, Instituto de Quimica Fisica Rocasolano, CSIC, Serrano 119, 28006 Madrid, Spain
J Mol Biol 338:771-82. 2004..Two residues essential for substrate recognition, Phe76 and Tyr77, are provided by a conformational change in a partially disordered loop (L2). The crucial role of these residues is highlighted by site-directed mutagenesis...
- Effects of betaine in a murine model of mild cystathionine-beta-synthase deficiencyBernd C Schwahn
Department of Pediatrics, Montreal Children s Hospital, McGill University Health Center, Montrreal, Quebec, Canada
Metabolism 53:594-9. 2004..Homocysteinemia in mice is sensitive to a disruption of Cbs and to methyl donor intake. Because betaine leads to a greater flux through BHMT and lowers homocysteine, betaine supplementation may be beneficial in mild hyperhomocysteinemia...
- A nuclear-magnetic-resonance-based assay for betaine-homocysteine methyltransferase activityMartin B Lee
Biochemistry Unit, Canterbury Health Laboratories, PO Box 151, Christchurch, New Zealand
Anal Biochem 330:199-205. 2004..19+/-0.03 mM with a V(max) of 17+/-0.7 nMol min(-1) mg(-1)...
- Human embryonic stem cell methyl cycle enzyme expression: modelling epigenetic programming in assisted reproduction?William Steele
Division of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Nottingham, Queens Medical Centre, Nottingham NG7 2UH, UK
Reprod Biomed Online 10:755-66. 2005..These studies indicate that altered methyl group metabolism provides a potential mechanism for inducing epigenetic changes in the preimplantation embryo...
- Effects of diabetes and insulin on betaine-homocysteine S-methyltransferase expression in rat liverShobhitha Ratnam
Dept of Biochemistry, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St John s, NF, Canada, A1B 3X9
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 290:E933-9. 2006....
- Folate status modulates the induction of hepatic glycine N-methyltransferase and homocysteine metabolism in diabetic ratsKristin M Nieman
Dept of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 291:E1235-42. 2006..Moreover, the upregulation of BHMT and PEMT may indicate an increased choline requirement in the diabetic rat...
- Interrelations between glycine betaine catabolism and methionine biosynthesis in Sinorhizobium meliloti strain 102F34Lise Barra
Osmorégulation chez les bactéries, UMR CNRS 6026, Universite de Rennes I, Campus de Beaulieu, Av du Général Leclerc, 35042 Rennes, France
J Bacteriol 188:7195-204. 2006..Inactivation of metH or bmt did not affect the nodulation efficiency of the mutants in the 102F34 strain background. Nevertheless, a metH strain was severely defective in competing with the wild-type strain in a coinoculation experiment...
- Betaine homocysteine S-methyltransferase: just a regulator of homocysteine metabolism?M A Pajares
Instituto de Investigaciones Biomedicas Alberto Sols CSIC UAM, Arturo Duperier 4, 28029, Madrid, Spain
Cell Mol Life Sci 63:2792-803. 2006b>Betaine homocysteine methyltransferase (BHMT), a Zn(2+)-dependent thiolmethyltransferase, contributes to the regulation of homocysteine levels, increases in which are considered a risk factor for cardiovascular diseases...
- Modulation of the homocysteine-betaine relationship by methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase 677 C->t genotypes and B-vitamin status in a large-scale epidemiological studyPal I Holm
Hormone Laboratory, Haukeland University Hospital, Section for Pharmacology, Institute of Medicine, Armauer Hanssens hus, University of Bergen, 5021 Bergen, Norway
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:1535-41. 2007....
- Structure-activity study of new inhibitors of human betaine-homocysteine S-methyltransferaseVáclav Vanek
Institute of Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, v v i, Flemingovo nam 2, 166 10 Prague 6, Czech Republic
J Med Chem 52:3652-65. 2009....
- An integrative genomic analysis identifies Bhmt2 as a diet-dependent genetic factor protecting against acetaminophen-induced liver toxicityHong Hsing Liu
Department of Genetics and Genomics, Roche Palo Alto, Palo Alto, California 94304, USA
Genome Res 20:28-35. 2010..Identification of Bhmt2 and the affected biosynthetic pathway demonstrates how a novel method of integrative genomic analysis in mice can provide a unique and clinically applicable approach to a major public health problem...
- The nutrigenetics of hyperhomocysteinemia: quantitative proteomics reveals differences in the methionine cycle enzymes of gene-induced versus diet-induced hyperhomocysteinemiaPatricia M DiBello
Department of Cell Biology, Lerner Research Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Mol Cell Proteomics 9:471-85. 2010..Our results show that hyperhomocysteinemia, whether caused by a genetic mutation or diet, alters the abundance of several liver proteins involved in homocysteine/methionine metabolism, the urea cycle, and antioxidant defense...
- Variants of folate metabolism genes and the risk of conotruncal cardiac defectsElizabeth Goldmuntz
Division of Cardiology, Department of Pediatrics, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, PA 19104 4318, USA
Circ Cardiovasc Genet 1:126-32. 2008..However, efforts to establish the relationships between these factors and CHD risk have been hampered by a number of factors including small study sample sizes and phenotypic heterogeneity...
- Differences in betaine-homocysteine methyltransferase expression, endoplasmic reticulum stress response, and liver injury between alcohol-fed mice and ratsMasao Shinohara
University of Southern California Research Center for Liver Disease, USC University of California Los Angeles Research Center for Alcoholic Liver and Pancreas Diseases, Department of Medicine, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Hepatology 51:796-805. 2010..Western blot analysis of betaine homocysteine methyltransferase (BHMT) expression showed that rats fed either ethanol or HMLF had significantly increased BHMT ..
- Choline and betaine in health and diseasePer Magne Ueland
Section for Pharmacology, Institute of Medicine, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
J Inherit Metab Dis 34:3-15. 2011..Thus, choline and betaine showed opposite relations with key components of metabolic syndrome, suggesting a disruption of mitochondrial choline oxidation to betaine as part of the mitochondrial dysfunction in metabolic syndrome...
- Polymorphisms located in the region containing BHMT and BHMT2 genes as maternal protective factors for orofacial cleftsAdrianna Mostowska
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Poznan University of Medical Sciences, Poznan, Poland
Eur J Oral Sci 118:325-32. 2010..Altogether, our study identified a novel gene, the nucleotide variants of which were be associated with a decreased risk of having a baby with NCL/P...
- Genetic variants in one-carbon metabolism-related genes contribute to NSCLC prognosis in a Chinese populationGuangfu Jin
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Cancer Center, Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, China
Cancer 116:5700-9. 2010..In this study, the authors hypothesized that polymorphisms in one-carbon metabolism-related genes may contribute to the prognosis of nonsmall cell lung cancer (NSCLC)...
- CCAAT/enhancer-binding proteins (C/EBP)-α and -β are essential for ovulation, luteinization, and the expression of key target genesHeng Yu Fan
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Mol Endocrinol 25:253-68. 2011..Thus, C/EBPα/β mediate the terminal differentiation of GCs during the complex process of luteinization...
- Sulfur amino acid metabolism in doxorubicin-resistant breast cancer cellsChang Seon Ryu
College of Pharmacy and RCTCP, Chungnam National University, Daejeon 305 764, Republic of Korea
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 255:94-102. 2011..such as cystathionine beta-synthase, methionine synthase/methylene tetrahydrofolate reductase, and betaine homocysteine methyltransferase, was up-regulated in MCF-7/Adr cells, suggesting that acquiring doxorubicin resistance attenuated ..
- Plasma homocysteine level and hepatic sulfur amino acid metabolism in mice fed a high-fat dietKang Uk Yun
College of Pharmacy, Chungnam National University, 220 Gung Dong, Yuseong Gu, Taejeon, 305 764, Republic of Korea
Eur J Nutr 52:127-34. 2013..However, little published information is available concerning the effect of obesity on homocysteine metabolism...
- Neil Kaplowitz; Fiscal Year: 2014..Therefore, understanding how alcohol increase homocysteine levels and how increased levels of homocysteine contribute to liver damage will open new avenues for preventing and treating liver disease due to alcohol and other causes. ..
- NUTRIENT REGULATION OF BHMT EXPRESSIONTimothy Garrow; Fiscal Year: 2006..The outcomes of the proposed studies will include novel information on IBHMT's structure and function and its regulation by nutritional and physiological factors influencing Iredox status. ..
- INTERACTION OF METHYLTRANSFERASE AND GLYCINE BORONATESRobert Lindquist; Fiscal Year: 1990..B), H2NCH(CH3)-B(OH)2, has very recently been reported. It is an effective inhibitor of both alanine- racemase and D-Ala:D-Ala ligase, presumably interacting with one or more groups at the active sites of these enzymes...
- NUTRIENT REGULATION OF BHMT EXPRESSIONTimothy Garrow; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Quantitation of Tocopherol Metabolism in HumansANDREW JOSEPH CLIFFORD; Fiscal Year: 2010..Particular attention will be directed to the absorption phase. The results are expected to provide information about vitamin E biopotency and eventually improved Dietary Recommendations. ..
- Quantitation of In Vivo Human Lutein MetabolismANDREW JOSEPH CLIFFORD; Fiscal Year: 2010..Therefore, the purpose of this study is to determine how the human body uses lutein and other related compounds. ..
- DYNAMIC AND KINETIC BEHAVIOR OF FOLATE METABOLISMAndrew Clifford; Fiscal Year: 2005..We will determine the in vivo kinetic behavior of a tracer dose of folate in blood, urine, and stool. We will then compare the behavior of folate metabolism (functional endpoint) among the various genotypes. ..
- IN VIVO DYNAMIC OF BETA-CAROTENE METABOLISM IN HUMANSAndrew Clifford; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- FASEB Summer Conference: Folate, B12 and 1C MetabolismJAMES FINKELSTEIN; Fiscal Year: 2002..The format encourages discussions between the presenters and the fellows, residents and junior investigators in attendance. Similarly, the poster sessions also highlight the activities and the needs of the younger participants. ..
- Hepatic Steatosis Modulation by Apo B Gene TranscriptionJANET DEHOFF SPARKS; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- The Genetic Etiology of Left-Sided Cardiac DefectsElizabeth Goldmuntz; Fiscal Year: 2007..In addition, these investigations will lead to future studies that assess the relationship of genotype to clinical outcome, and allow us to improve upon our clinical management accordingly. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Relationship of Apo B and BHMT: Nutrition and PhysiologyJanet Sparks; Fiscal Year: 2004..A potential link of two pathways whose products or intermediates are associated with increased cardiovascular disease risk could be established. ..
- Transition-state mimicking inhibitors of human BHMTTimothy Garrow; Fiscal Year: 2008..Jiri Jiracek as an extension of NIH grant # R01DK52501. ..
- Gene-nutrient Etiologies of Neural Tube DefectsGary M Shaw; Fiscal Year: 2010..Because NTDs result in substantial morbidity as well as high emotional and economic costs, further scientific understanding leading to possible prevention would greatly benefit society. ..
- The Genetic Etiology of Conotruncal Cardiac DefectsElizabeth Goldmuntz; Fiscal Year: 2007..With this data, the impact of genotype on clinical outcome can be assessed and improved management strategies devised for the future. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Gene and Nutrient Etiologies of Human Heart DefectsGary M Shaw; Fiscal Year: 2010..Because these defects result in substantial morbidity as well as high emotional and economic costs, further scientific understanding leading to possible prevention would greatly benefit society. ..
- Epidemiologic Study of Placental AbruptionCande Ananth; Fiscal Year: 2006..It will also add substantial new evidence for associations of several genetic thrombophilias and abruption risk. ..
- FOLATE PATHWAY GENES AND RISK FOR OROFACIAL CLEFTSGary Shaw; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..