Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: MAP1LC3C
Description: microtubule associated protein 1 light chain 3 gamma
Alias: ATG8J, LC3C, microtubule-associated proteins 1A/1B light chain 3C, LC3-like protein 2, MAP1 light chain 3-like protein 2, MAP1 light chain 3-like protein 3, MAP1A/MAP1B LC3 C, MAP1A/MAP1B light chain 3 C, autophagy-related protein LC3 C, autophagy-related ubiquitin-like modifier LC3 C
- A role for NBR1 in autophagosomal degradation of ubiquitinated substratesVladimir Kirkin
Institute of Biochemistry II, Goethe University, Frankfurt Main, Germany
Mol Cell 33:505-16. 2009..We propose that NBR1 and p62 act as receptors for selective autophagosomal degradation of ubiquitinated targets...
- Dual function of CALCOCO2/NDP52 during xenophagyPauline Verlhac
a CIRI International Center for Infectiology Research Université de Lyon Lyon, France
Autophagy 11:965-6. 2015..receptor CALCOCO2/NDP52 targets Salmonella Typhimurium to the phagophore membrane by concomitantly interacting with LC3C and binding to ubiquitinated cytosolic bacteria or to LGALS8/GALECTIN 8 adsorbed on damaged vacuoles that contain ..
- Structural determinants in GABARAP required for the selective binding and recruitment of ALFY to LC3B-positive structuresAlf Hakon Lystad
Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
EMBO Rep 15:557-65. 2014..Here, we show that ALFY binds selectively to LC3C and the GABARAPs through a LIR in its WD40 domain...
- Autophagy suppresses melanoma tumorigenesis by inducing senescenceHe Liu
Institute of Pharmacology University of Bern Bern, Switzerland
Autophagy 10:372-3. 2014..Furthermore, our findings suggest that the status of ATG5 and autophagy could serve as a diagnostic marker for distinguishing benign from malignant tumors of melanocytes. ..
- Structural basis of the autophagy-related LC3/Atg13 LIR complex: recognition and interaction mechanismHironori Suzuki
Biomolecular Interaction Centre, School of Biological Sciences, University of Canterbury, Christchurch 8020, New Zealand Structural Biology Research Center, Photon Factory, Institute of Materials Structure Science, High Energy Accelerator Research Organization KEK, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 0801, Japan Electronic address
Structure 22:47-58. 2014..We demonstrate that each of the human LC3 isoforms (LC3A, LC3B, and LC3C) interacts with Atg13 via the LC3 interacting region (LIR) of Atg13...
- TRIM proteins regulate autophagy and can target autophagic substrates by direct recognitionMichael A Mandell
Department of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology, University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center, 915 Camino de Salud NE, Albuquerque, NM 87131, USA
Dev Cell 30:394-409. 2014..Thus, our study establishes that TRIMs can function both as regulators of autophagy and as autophagic cargo receptors, and reveals a basis for selective autophagy in mammalian cells...
- Nutrient starvation affects expression of LC3 family at the feto-maternal interface during murine placentationMasato Hiyama
Laboratory of Basic Veterinary Science, The United Graduate School of Veterinary Science, Yamaguchi University, Yamaguchi 753 8515, Japan
J Vet Med Sci 77:305-11. 2015..LC3A and B were increased in D14 compared with D12 and D16 in mouse placenta, while LC3C was decreased. Starvation induced increase in LC3B expression specifically...
- CUL3-KBTBD6/KBTBD7 ubiquitin ligase cooperates with GABARAP proteins to spatially restrict TIAM1-RAC1 signalingHeide Marika Genau
Institute of Biochemistry II, Goethe University School of Medicine, 60590 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Mol Cell 57:995-1010. 2015..Besides their role in autophagy and trafficking, we uncovered a previously unknown function of GABARAP proteins as membrane-localized signaling scaffolds. ..
- Autophagy receptor NDP52 regulates pathogen-containing autophagosome maturationPauline Verlhac
Ciri, International Center for Infectiology Research, Universite de Lyon, 69007 Lyon, France INSERM, U1111, 69007 Lyon, France CNRS, UMR5308, 69007 Lyon, France Ecole Normale Supérieure de Lyon, 69007 Lyon, France Université Lyon 1, Centre International de Recherche en Infectiologie, 69007 Lyon, France
Cell Host Microbe 17:515-25. 2015..but independent of its function in pathogen targeting to autophagosomes, which relies on the interaction with LC3C. Thus, complete xenophagy is selectively regulated by a single autophagy receptor, which initially orchestrates ..
- Ubiquilin4 is an adaptor protein that recruits Ubiquilin1 to the autophagy machineryDong Yun Lee
Department of Infectious Disease, South San Francisco, CA 94080, USA
EMBO Rep 14:373-81. 2013..This targeting of Ubqln1 to autophagosomes requires the Ubqln4 UBL domain and the Ubqln1 UBA domain. This study identifies a new role for Ubqln4, expanding the role for Ubqlns in protein degradation...
- The HIV proteins Tat and Nef promote human bone marrow mesenchymal stem cell senescence and alter osteoblastic differentiationCarine Beaupere
Sorbonne Universités, UPMC Univ Paris 06, UMR_S 938, CdR Saint Antoine, F 75012, Paris, France
Aging Cell 14:534-46. 2015..These results offer new insights into the pathophysiological mechanisms of decreased BMD in HIV-infected patients...
- TBK1 kinase addiction in lung cancer cells is mediated via autophagy of Tax1bp1/Ndp52 and non-canonical NF-κB signallingAlice C Newman
Edinburgh Cancer Research UK Centre, MRC Institute of Genetics and Molecular Medicine, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 7:e50672. 2012..Autophagy of these cargo receptors promotes non-canonical NF-κB signalling. We propose that this TBK1-dependent mechanism for NF-κB signalling contributes to autophagy addiction in K-Ras driven NSCLC...
- Cross-cancer profiling of molecular alterations within the human autophagy interaction networkChandra B Lebovitz
a The Genome Sciences Centre BC Cancer Agency Vancouver, BC Canada
Autophagy 11:1668-87. 2015..Gene expression analyses revealed that GABARAPL1 and MAP1LC3C/LC3C transcripts were less abundant in breast cancer and non-small cell lung cancers than in matched normal ..
- Sequence-specific 1H, 15N, and 13C resonance assignments of the autophagy-related protein LC3CCarsten Krichel
Institute of Complex Systems, ICS 6 Structural Biochemistry, Forschungszentrum Julich, 52425, Julich, Germany
Biomol NMR Assign 10:41-3. 2016..in the formation of autophagosomal membrane compartments, microtubule-associated protein light chain 3C (LC3C) additionally plays a unique role in selective autophagic clearance of intracellular pathogens (xenophagy), which ..
- Autophagosome Proteins LC3A, LC3B and LC3C Have Distinct Subcellular Distribution Kinetics and Expression in Cancer Cell LinesMichael I Koukourakis
Department of Radiotherapy Oncology, Democritus University of Thrace Medical School, University General Hospital of Alexandroupolis, Alexandroupolis, Greece
PLoS ONE 10:e0137675. 2015..b>LC3C was located in the cytoplasm and strongly in the nuclei (excluding nucleoli), where it extensively co-localized ..
- DOR/Tp53inp2 and Tp53inp1 constitute a metazoan gene family encoding dual regulators of autophagy and transcriptionAna Sancho
Institute for Research in Biomedicine IRB Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
PLoS ONE 7:e34034. 2012..Taken together, our data reveal DOR and TP53INP1 as dual regulators of transcription and autophagy, and identify two conserved regions in the DOR family that concentrate multiple functions crucial for autophagy and transcription...
- TECPR2 Cooperates with LC3C to Regulate COPII-Dependent ER ExportDaniela Stadel
Institute of Biochemistry II, Medical School Goethe University, 60590 Frankfurt, Germany
Mol Cell 60:89-104. 2015..of functional ER exit sites (ERES), and efficient ER export in a manner dependent on binding to lipidated LC3C. TECPR2-deficient HSP patient cells display alterations in SEC24D abundance and ER export efficiency...
- The Autophagy Receptor TAX1BP1 and the Molecular Motor Myosin VI Are Required for Clearance of Salmonella Typhimurium by AutophagyDavid A Tumbarello
Cambridge Institute for Medical Research, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, United Kingdom
PLoS Pathog 11:e1005174. 2015..Our study identifies essential new machinery for the autophagy-dependent clearance of Salmonella typhimurium and suggests modulation of myosin VI motor activity as a potential therapeutic target in cellular immunity. ..
- LC3/GABARAP family proteins: autophagy-(un)related functionsMarco B E Schaaf
Department of Radiation Oncology Maastro Lab, GROW School for Oncology and Developmental Biology, Maastricht University Medical Center, Maastricht, The Netherlands
FASEB J 30:3961-3978. 2016..has evolved into the LC3/GABARAP protein family, consisting of 7 family proteins [LC3A (2 splice variants), LC3B, LC3C, GABARAP, GABARAPL1, and GABARAPL2]...
- LC3C Contributes to Vpu-Mediated Antagonism of BST2/Tetherin Restriction on HIV-1 Release through a Non-canonical Autophagy PathwayUrsula Madjo
INSERM, U1016, Institut Cochin, 75014 Paris, France CNRS, UMR8104, 75014 Paris, France University Paris Descartes, Sorbonne Paris Cité, 75014 Paris, France
Cell Rep 17:2221-2233. 2016..We found that Vpu selectively interacts with the ATG8 ortholog LC3C through the Vpu L63VEM66 sequence...
- Fluorescence-based ATG8 sensors monitor localization and function of LC3/GABARAP proteinsAlexandra Stolz
Institute of Biochemistry II Goethe University, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
EMBO J . 2016..the use of the engineered peptides as intracellular sensors that recognize specifically GABARAP, GABL1, GABL2, and LC3C, as well as a bispecific sensor for LC3A and LC3B...
- The carboxyl-terminal amino acids render pro-human LC3B migration similar to lipidated LC3B in SDS-PAGEWei Wang
College of Animal Science and Veterinary Medicine, Jilin University, Jilin, China
PLoS ONE 8:e74222. 2013..migration of unprocessed LC3B than LC3B-I is also revealed in mouse LC3B, rat LC3B and rat LC3 but not in human LC3C. Our findings for the first time define pro-LC3 migration patterns for LC3 family member from human, mouse and rat ..
- Folliculin contributes to VHL tumor suppressing activity in renal cancer through regulation of autophagyPrabhat Bastola
Department of Cancer Biology, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, Ohio, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e70030. 2013..Interestingly, FLCN, similarly to VHL, is necessary for the activity of LC3C-mediated autophagic program that we have previously characterized as contributing to the tumor suppressing activity ..
- Arginine68 is an essential residue for the C-terminal cleavage of human Atg8 family proteinsChao Liu
State Key Laboratory of Genetic Engineering Institute of Genetics, School of Life Sciences, Fudan University, Shanghai 200433, China
BMC Cell Biol 14:27. 2013..In humans, six Atg8 homologs, including MAP1LC3A, MAP1LC3B, MAP1LC3C (refer to LC3A, LC3B, and LC3C hereafter), GABARAP, GABARAPL1, and GABARAPL2 have been reported...
- Multiple hits for the association of uterine fibroids on human chromosome 1q43Brahim Aissani
Department of Epidemiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
PLoS ONE 8:e58399. 2013..in DNA mismatch repair emerged as candidate susceptibility genes whereas those acting in the autophagy/apoptosis (MAP1LC3C - microtubule-associated protein) or signal transduction (RGS7 - Regulator of G-protein and PLD5- Phospoholipase ..
- Structural basis for recognition of autophagic receptor NDP52 by the sugar receptor galectin-8Byeong Won Kim
Division of Life Sciences, School of Life Sciences and Biotechnology, Korea University, Anam Dong, Seongbuk gu, Seoul, Korea
Nat Commun 4:1613. 2013..Dimeric NDP52 forms a ternary complex with two monomeric galectin-8 molecules as well as two LC3C molecules...
- Essential Role for the Mammalian ATG8 Isoform LC3C in XenophagyTomer Shpilka
Department of Biological Chemistry, The Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot 76100, Israel
Mol Cell 48:325-6. 2012In this issue, Randow and coworkers (von Muhlinen et al., 2012) report that LC3C plays an essential role in Salmonella clearance by interacting with the autophagic receptor NDP52, with consequent recruitment of all other ATG8 proteins to ..
- ATG8 family proteins act as scaffolds for assembly of the ULK complex: sequence requirements for LC3-interacting region (LIR) motifsEndalkachew Ashenafi Alemu
Molecular Cancer Research Group, Institute of Medical Biology, University of Tromsø, 9037 Tromsø, Norway
J Biol Chem 287:39275-90. 2012..Importantly, the LIR motif is required for starvation-induced association of ULK1 with autophagosomes. Our data suggest that ATG8 proteins act as scaffolds for assembly of the ULK complex at the phagophore...
- LC3C, bound selectively by a noncanonical LIR motif in NDP52, is required for antibacterial autophagyNatalia von Muhlinen
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Division of Protein and Nucleic Acid Chemistry, Cambridge CB2 0QH, UK
Mol Cell 48:329-42. 2012..Here we show that the selectivity of the autophagy receptor NDP52 for LC3C is crucial for innate immunity since cells lacking either protein cannot protect their cytoplasm against Salmonella...
- Not all autophagy is equalMaria F Czyzyk-Krzeska
Department of Cancer and Cell Biology, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH, USA
Autophagy 8:1155-6. 2012..These programs, marked by differential requirements for LC3B vs. LC3C, play tumor-promoting and tumor-suppressing roles in renal cancer.
- VHL-regulated MiR-204 suppresses tumor growth through inhibition of LC3B-mediated autophagy in renal clear cell carcinomaOlga Mikhaylova
Department of Cancer and Cell Biology, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0056, USA
Cancer Cell 21:532-46. 2012..VHL, in addition to inducing endogenous miR-204, triggered the expression of LC3C, an HIF-regulated LC3B paralog, that suppressed tumor growth...
- A transcriptional variant of the LC3A gene is involved in autophagy and frequently inactivated in human cancersH Bai
Department of Molecular Cytogenetics, Medical Research Institute and Graduate School of Medical and Dental Science, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo, Japan
Oncogene 31:4397-408. 2012..The human LC3 gene family has five members, LC3A (variant-1: v1 and -2: v2), LC3B, LC3B2 and LC3C. Although a form of LC3B modified by phosphatidylethanolamine (form-II) is localized in autophagosomes, it is not ..
- An essential role for the ATG8 ortholog LC3C in antibacterial autophagyNatalia von Muhlinen
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Division of Protein and Nucleic Acid Chemistry, Cambridge, UK
Autophagy 9:784-6. 2013..Typhimurium), preferentially binds LC3C. The CALCOCO2/NDP52-LC3C interaction is essential for cell-autonomous immunity against cytosol-exposed S...
- Proteolytic cleavage of microtubule-associated proteins by retroviral proteinasesM Wallin
Department of Zoophysiology, University of Goteborg, Sweden
J Gen Virol 71:1985-91. 1990..It is suggested that proteolysis of microtubular proteins by viral proteinases is an important step in viral pathogenicity and that it may be part of a mechanism causing degenerative effects in infected cells...
- Autophagy, proteases and the sense of balanceSandra Cabrera
Departamento de Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular, Instituto Universitario de Oncologia, Universidad de Oviedo, Oviedo, Spain
Autophagy 6:961-3. 2010..parallel studies have revealed that there are at least six orthologues of yeast Atg8 in mammals (LC3A, LC3B, LC3C, GABARAP, ATG8L/GABARAPL1 and GATE-16/GABARAPL2)...
- HsAtg4B/HsApg4B/autophagin-1 cleaves the carboxyl termini of three human Atg8 homologues and delipidates microtubule-associated protein light chain 3- and GABAA receptor-associated protein-phospholipid conjugatesIsei Tanida
Department of Biochemistry, Juntendo University School of Medicine, 2 1 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8421, Japan
J Biol Chem 279:36268-76. 2004..RNA interference of HsAtg4B increased the amount of LC3-PL in HEK293 cells. Taken together, these results suggest that HsAtg4B negatively regulates the localization of LC3 to a membrane compartment by delipidation...
- Post-translational modifications of three members of the human MAP1LC3 family and detection of a novel type of modification for MAP1LC3BHua He
State Key Laboratory of Genetic Engineering, Institute of Genetics, School of Life Sciences, Fudan University, Shanghai 200433, China
J Biol Chem 278:29278-87. 2003..identification and characterization of three human orthologs of the rat Map1LC3, named MAP1LC3A, MAP1LC3B, and MAP1LC3C. We show that the three isoforms of human MAP1LC3 exhibit distinct expression patterns in different human tissues...
- The cleavage of host cell proteins by HIV-1 proteaseJ Snasel
Department of Biochemistry, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Prague, Czech Republic
Folia Biol (Praha) 42:227-30. 1996
- Maria F Czyzyk-Krzeska; Fiscal Year: 2016..By inhibiting HIF, VHL induces expression of LC3C, an LC3B ortholog, which has tumor suppressive activity...
- REGULATION OF GENE EXPRESSION BY OXYGENMARIA CZYZYK KRZESKA; Fiscal Year: 2005..An understanding of the physiological role of pVhl in regulation of gene expression during hypoxia will provide much needed information on how O2-sensitive cells respond and adapt to hypoxia. ..
- Regulation of Cell Function by Intermittent HypoxiaMARIA CZYZYK KRZESKA; Fiscal Year: 2007..3) We will determine the role of proline hydroxylation in Rpb1 ubiquitination by VHL and measure the effects of IH and oxidative stress on proline hydroxylation in brain extracts from exposed animals, and in PC12 cells. ..