Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: MIR214
Description: microRNA 214
Alias: MIRN214, miRNA214, mir-214
- Sinha M, Ghose J, Bhattarcharyya N. Micro RNA -214,-150,-146a and-125b target Huntingtin gene. RNA Biol. 2011;8:1005-21 pubmed publisher..In summary, regulation of HTT by miRNAs might provide a new mechanism for the modulation of HD. ..
- Denby L, Ramdas V, Lu R, Conway B, Grant J, Dickinson B, et al. MicroRNA-214 antagonism protects against renal fibrosis. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2014;25:65-80 pubmed publisher..These studies demonstrate that miR-214 functions to promote fibrosis in renal injury independent of TGF-β signaling in vivo and that antagonism of miR-214 may represent a novel antifibrotic treatment in the kidney. ..
- Deng M, Ye Q, Qin Z, Zheng Y, He W, Tang H, et al. miR-214 promotes tumorigenesis by targeting lactotransferrin in nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Tumour Biol. 2013;34:1793-800 pubmed publisher....
- Yang Z, Chen S, Luan X, Li Y, Liu M, Li X, et al. MicroRNA-214 is aberrantly expressed in cervical cancers and inhibits the growth of HeLa cells. IUBMB Life. 2009;61:1075-82 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results suggest that miR-214 negatively regulates HeLa cell proliferation by targeting the noncoding regions of MEK3 and JNK1 mRNAs. ..
- Yin G, Chen R, Alvero A, Fu H, Holmberg J, Glackin C, et al. TWISTing stemness, inflammation and proliferation of epithelial ovarian cancer cells through MIR199A2/214. Oncogene. 2010;29:3545-53 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that Twist1 may be an important regulator of 'stemness' in EOC cells. The regulation of MIR199A2/214 expression may be used as a potential therapeutic approach in EOC patients. ..
- Huang S, Yuan Y, Zhuang C, Li B, Gong D, Wang S, et al. MicroRNA-98 and microRNA-214 post-transcriptionally regulate enhancer of zeste homolog 2 and inhibit migration and invasion in human esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Mol Cancer. 2012;11:51 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that decreased expression of miR-98 and miR-214 might promote metastasis of human ESCC by inducing accumulation of EZH2 protein. ..
- Penna E, Orso F, Cimino D, Tenaglia E, Lembo A, Quaglino E, et al. microRNA-214 contributes to melanoma tumour progression through suppression of TFAP2C. EMBO J. 2011;30:1990-2007 pubmed publisher..Considering that miR-214 is known to be highly expressed in human melanomas, our data suggest a critical role for this miRNA in disease progression and the establishment of distant metastases. ..
- Li B, Han Q, Zhu Y, Yu Y, Wang J, Jiang X. Down-regulation of miR-214 contributes to intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma metastasis by targeting Twist. FEBS J. 2012;279:2393-8 pubmed publisher..These results suggest an important role for miR-214 in regulating metastasis of intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma, and potential application of miR-214 in intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma therapy. ..
- Yang H, Kong W, He L, Zhao J, O Donnell J, Wang J, et al. MicroRNA expression profiling in human ovarian cancer: miR-214 induces cell survival and cisplatin resistance by targeting PTEN. Cancer Res. 2008;68:425-33 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that deregulation of miRNAs is a recurrent event in human ovarian cancer and that miR-214 induces cell survival and cisplatin resistance primarily through targeting the PTEN/Akt pathway. ..
- Wang X, Chen J, Li F, Lin Y, Zhang X, Lv Z, et al. MiR-214 inhibits cell growth in hepatocellular carcinoma through suppression of β-catenin. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012;428:525-31 pubmed publisher..Given these, miR-214 may serve as a useful prognostic or therapeutic target for treatment of HCC. ..
- Peng R, Wan H, Li H, Liu M, Li X, Tang H. MicroRNA-214 suppresses growth and invasiveness of cervical cancer cells by targeting UDP-N-acetyl-α-D-galactosamine:polypeptide N-acetylgalactosaminyltransferase 7. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:14301-9 pubmed publisher..Together, these results indicate that miR-214 is a new regulator of GALNT7, and both miR-214 and GALNT7 play important roles in the pathogenesis of cervical cancer. ..
- Shih T, Tien Y, Wen C, Yeh T, Yu M, Huang C, et al. MicroRNA-214 downregulation contributes to tumor angiogenesis by inducing secretion of the hepatoma-derived growth factor in human hepatoma. J Hepatol. 2012;57:584-91 pubmed publisher..A novel role of microRNA in tumorigenesis is identified. Downregulation of miR-214 contributes to the unusual hypervascularity of HCC via activation of the HDGF paracrine pathway for tumor angiogenesis. ..
- Qiang R, Wang F, Shi L, Liu M, Chen S, Wan H, et al. Plexin-B1 is a target of miR-214 in cervical cancer and promotes the growth and invasion of HeLa cells. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2011;43:632-41 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that plexin-B1, a target of miR-214, may function as an oncogene in human cervical cancer HeLa cells. ..
- Misiewicz Krzeminska I, Sarasquete M, Quwaider D, Krzeminski P, Ticona F, Paíno T, et al. Restoration of microRNA-214 expression reduces growth of myeloma cells through positive regulation of P53 and inhibition of DNA replication. Haematologica. 2013;98:640-8 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, MiR-214 functions as a tumor suppressor in myeloma by positive regulation of p53 and inhibition of DNA replication. ..
- Xu C, Xu M, Tan L, Yang H, Permuth Wey J, Kruk P, et al. MicroRNA miR-214 regulates ovarian cancer cell stemness by targeting p53/Nanog. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:34970-8 pubmed publisher..Expression of p53 abrogated miR-214-induced OCSC properties. These data suggest the critical role of miR-214 in OCSC via regulation of the p53-Nanog axis and miR-214 as a therapeutic target for ovarian cancer. ..
- Penna E, Orso F, Cimino D, Vercellino I, Grassi E, Quaglino E, et al. miR-214 coordinates melanoma progression by upregulating ALCAM through TFAP2 and miR-148b downmodulation. Cancer Res. 2013;73:4098-111 pubmed publisher..Overall, our results define a pathway involving miR-214, miR-148b, TFAP2, and ALCAM that is critical for establishing distant metastases in melanoma. ..
- Xia H, Ooi L, Hui K. MiR-214 targets β-catenin pathway to suppress invasion, stem-like traits and recurrence of human hepatocellular carcinoma. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e44206 pubmed publisher..Therefore, miR-214 can directly or indirectly target CTNNB1 to modulate the β-catenin signaling pathway in HCC. ..
- Duan Q, Wang X, Gong W, Ni L, Chen C, He X, et al. ER stress negatively modulates the expression of the miR-199a/214 cluster to regulates tumor survival and progression in human hepatocellular cancer. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e31518 pubmed publisher....
- Derfoul A, Juan A, Difilippantonio M, Palanisamy N, Ried T, Sartorelli V. Decreased microRNA-214 levels in breast cancer cells coincides with increased cell proliferation, invasion and accumulation of the Polycomb Ezh2 methyltransferase. Carcinogenesis. 2011;32:1607-14 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that reduced miR-214 levels may contribute to breast tumorigenesis by allowing abnormally elevated Ezh2 accumulation and subsequent unchecked cell proliferation and invasion. ..
- Narducci M, Arcelli D, Picchio M, Lazzeri C, Pagani E, Sampogna F, et al. MicroRNA profiling reveals that miR-21, miR486 and miR-214 are upregulated and involved in cell survival in Sézary syndrome. Cell Death Dis. 2011;2:e151 pubmed publisher..In addition, we also provide an in vitro evidence for a contribution of miR-214, miR-486 and miR-21 to apoptotic resistance of CTCL cell line. ..
- Wang F, Liu M, Li X, Tang H. MiR-214 reduces cell survival and enhances cisplatin-induced cytotoxicity via down-regulation of Bcl2l2 in cervical cancer cells. FEBS Lett. 2013;587:488-95 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data suggest that miR-214 might be a candidate target for the development of novel therapeutic strategies to treat cervical cancer. ..
- van Rooij E, Sutherland L, Liu N, Williams A, McAnally J, Gerard R, et al. A signature pattern of stress-responsive microRNAs that can evoke cardiac hypertrophy and heart failure. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:18255-60 pubmed....
- Chen D, Wang Z, Zeng Z, Wu W, Zhang D, Luo H, et al. Identification of microRNA-214 as a negative regulator of colorectal cancer liver metastasis by way of regulation of fibroblast growth factor receptor 1 expression. Hepatology. 2014;60:598-609 pubmed publisher..miR-214 may serve as a potential marker to predict survival, and the miR-214-FGFR1 axis may be a therapeutic target in CRC patients. ..
- Chan L, Yue P, Mak N, Wong R. Role of microRNA-214 in ginsenoside-Rg1-induced angiogenesis. Eur J Pharm Sci. 2009;38:370-7 pubmed publisher..These results signify a new understanding towards how a simple natural compound can affect physiological changes through modulation of miRNA expression. ..
- Wang J, Zhang X, Wang L, Dong Z, Du L, Yang Y, et al. Downregulation of urinary cell-free microRNA-214 as a diagnostic and prognostic biomarker in bladder cancer. J Surg Oncol. 2015;111:992-9 pubmed publisher..Urinary cell-free miR-214 is a hopeful biomarker for tumor stratification, early diagnosis and prognostic assessment of bladder cancer. ..
- Ahmadian Elmi M, Bidmeshki Pour A, Naghavian R, Ghaedi K, Tanhaei S, Izadi T, et al. miR-27a and miR-214 exert opposite regulatory roles in Th17 differentiation via mediating different signaling pathways in peripheral blood CD4+ T lymphocytes of patients with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis. Immunogenetics. 2016;68:43-54 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that miR-27a may probably inhibit negative regulators of Th17 cell differentiation, thus promoting its differentiation while miR-214 has an adverse effect. ..
- Chen L, Charrier A, Zhou Y, Chen R, Yu B, Agarwal K, et al. Epigenetic regulation of connective tissue growth factor by MicroRNA-214 delivery in exosomes from mouse or human hepatic stellate cells. Hepatology. 2014;59:1118-29 pubmed publisher..Exosomal transfer of miR-214 is a paradigm for the regulation of CCN2-dependent fibrogenesis and identifies fibrotic pathways as targets of intercellular regulation by exosomal miRs. ..
- Yin Y, Cai X, Chen X, Liang H, Zhang Y, Li J, et al. Tumor-secreted miR-214 induces regulatory T cells: a major link between immune evasion and tumor growth. Cell Res. 2014;24:1164-80 pubmed publisher..Our study reveals a novel mechanism through which cancer cell actively manipulates immune response via promoting Treg expansion...
- Wang S, Jiao B, Geng S, Ma S, Liang Z, Lu S. Combined aberrant expression of microRNA-214 and UBC9 is an independent unfavorable prognostic factor for patients with gliomas. Med Oncol. 2014;31:767 pubmed publisher..A combined detection of miR-214/UBC9 expression may benefit us in predicting the prognosis of patients with advanced gliomas. ..
- Afzal T, Luong L, Chen D, Zhang C, Yang F, Chen Q, et al. NCK Associated Protein 1 Modulated by miRNA-214 Determines Vascular Smooth Muscle Cell Migration, Proliferation, and Neointima Hyperplasia. J Am Heart Assoc. 2016;5: pubmed..We uncovered an important role of miR-214 and its target gene NCKAP1 in modulating VSMC functions and neointima hyperplasia. Our findings suggest that miR-214 represents a potential therapeutic target for vascular diseases. ..
- Li J, Wang Y, Wang K, Wang Z, Jia D, Yang B, et al. Downregulation of miR-214-3p May Contribute to Pathogenesis of Ulcerative Colitis via Targeting STAT6. Biomed Res Int. 2017;2017:8524972 pubmed publisher..Additionally, the results of the present study indicate that miR-214-3p and STAT6 axis may be a novel therapeutic target for intestinal inflammation of patients with active UC. ..
- Huang H, Liu J, Hua H, Li S, Zhao J, Yue S, et al. MiR-214 and N-ras regulatory loop suppresses rhabdomyosarcoma cell growth and xenograft tumorigenesis. Oncotarget. 2014;5:2161-75 pubmed..Taken together, these data indicate that miR-214 is a bona fide suppressor of human RMS tumorigensis. ..
- Bucha S, Mukhopadhyay D, Bhattacharyya N. Regulation of mitochondrial morphology and cell cycle by microRNA-214 targeting Mitofusin2. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2015;465:797-802 pubmed publisher..Inhibition of miR-214 could be a possible target of intervention in HD pathogenesis. ..
- Liu Y, Zhou H, Ma L, Hou Y, Pan J, Sun C, et al. MiR-214 suppressed ovarian cancer and negatively regulated semaphorin 4D. Tumour Biol. 2016;37:8239-48 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the data also demonstrated that sema 4D was the direct target of miR-214 and was negatively regulated by miR-214 in ovarian cancer cells. ..
- Wang J, Li J, Wang X, Zheng C, Ma W. Downregulation of microRNA-214 and overexpression of FGFR-1 contribute to hepatocellular carcinoma metastasis. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2013;439:47-53 pubmed publisher..Therefore, miR-214 and FGFR-1 are potential prognostic markers and therapeutic targets in HCC. ..
- Zhu X, Zhang Z, Han G, Han J, Qiu D. Overexpression of miR‑214 promotes the progression of human osteosarcoma by regulating the Wnt/β‑catenin signaling pathway. Mol Med Rep. 2017;15:1884-1892 pubmed publisher..These data suggested the critical role of miR‑214 in human osteosarcoma via regulation of the Wnt/β‑catenin signaling pathway and demonstrated that miR‑214 is as an oncogene for human osteosarcoma. ..
- Afanasyeva E, Hotz Wagenblatt A, Glatting K, Westermann F. New miRNAs cloned from neuroblastoma. BMC Genomics. 2008;9:52 pubmed publisher..Some of these newly identified sequences reside within frequently altered chromosomal regions in NB tumours and may play a role in NB biology. ..
- Liu H, Yin T, Yan W, Si R, Wang B, Chen M, et al. Dysregulation of microRNA-214 and PTEN contributes to the pathogenesis of hypoxic pulmonary hypertension. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2017;12:1781-1791 pubmed publisher....
- Kuninty P, Bojmar L, Tjomsland V, Larsson M, Storm G, Ostman A, et al. MicroRNA-199a and -214 as potential therapeutic targets in pancreatic stellate cells in pancreatic tumor. Oncotarget. 2016;7:16396-408 pubmed publisher..Taken together, this study reveals miR-199a-3p and miR-214-3p as major regulators of PSC activation and PSC-induced pro-tumoral effects, representing them as key therapeutic targets in pancreatic cancer. ..
- He G, Hu J, Zhou L, Zhu X, Xin S, Zhang D, et al. The FOXD3/miR-214/MED19 axis suppresses tumour growth and metastasis in human colorectal cancer. Br J Cancer. 2016;115:1367-1378 pubmed publisher..FOXD3/miR-214/MED19 axis is important for the regulation of growth, invasion and metastasis of CRC. Targeting the miR-214-mediated axis might be helpful for the treatment of CRC. ..
- Gao K, Yin J, Dong J. Deregulated WWOX is involved in a negative feedback loop with microRNA-214-3p in osteosarcoma. Int J Mol Med. 2016;38:1850-1856 pubmed publisher..Our findings define a negative feedback pathway in control of WWOX and miR‑214‑3p expression, thus providing novel molecular targets for the treatment of osteosarcoma. ..
- Li T, Yin K, Chen Z, Bao Y, Zhang S. MiR-214 regulates oral cancer KB cell apoptosis through targeting RASSF5. Genet Mol Res. 2017;16: pubmed publisher..Moreover, miR-214 regulated KB cell apoptosis through targeted inhibition of RASSF5 expression, FOXO3a phosphorylation, and BIM expression, suggesting its possible application as a novel therapeutic oral cancer target. ..
- Momose K, Minami A, Shimono Y, Mizutani K, Nobutani K, Azuma T, et al. miR-214 and hypoxia down-regulate Necl-2/CADM1 and enhance ErbB2/ErbB3 signaling. Genes Cells. 2013;18:195-202 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that miR-214 and hypoxia are novel regulators that down-regulate Necl-2 and enhance ErbB2/ErbB3 signaling. ..
- Che M, Shi T, Feng S, Li H, Zhang X, Feng N, et al. The MicroRNA-199a/214 Cluster Targets E-Cadherin and Claudin-2 and Promotes High Glucose-Induced Peritoneal Fibrosis. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2017;28:2459-2471 pubmed publisher..Overall, this study reveals a novel SRF-miR-199a/miR-214-E-cadherin/claudin-2 axis that mediates damage and fibrosis in PD. ..
- Wang X, Sun J, Fu C, Wang D, Bi Z. MicroRNA-214 regulates osteosarcoma survival and growth by directly targeting phosphatase and tensin homolog. Mol Med Rep. 2014;10:3073-9 pubmed publisher..This study revealed that miR‑214 exerted a crucial role in promoting osteosarcoma progression and this suggests that modulation of miR‑214 levels may provide a novel therapeutic approach in cancer treatment. ..
- Xu Z, Wang T. miR-214 promotes the proliferation and invasion of osteosarcoma cells through direct suppression of LZTS1. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2014;449:190-5 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data provide compelling evidence that miR-214 functions as an onco-miRNA in OS, and its oncogenic effects are mediated chiefly through downregulation of LZTS1. ..
- el Azzouzi H, Leptidis S, Dirkx E, Hoeks J, van Bree B, Brand K, et al. The hypoxia-inducible microRNA cluster miR-199a∼214 targets myocardial PPARδ and impairs mitochondrial fatty acid oxidation. Cell Metab. 2013;18:341-54 pubmed publisher....
- Chandrasekaran K, Sathyanarayanan A, Karunagaran D. MicroRNA-214 suppresses growth, migration and invasion through a novel target, high mobility group AT-hook 1, in human cervical and colorectal cancer cells. Br J Cancer. 2016;115:741-51 pubmed publisher..miR-214-mediated regulation of HMGA1 is a novel mechanism for its tumour-suppressive actions in human cervical and colorectal cancer cells and opens up avenues for novel therapeutic strategies for these two cancers. ..
- Wang Y, Shi D, Chen X, Gao C, Gao P. Clinicopathological significance of microRNA-214 in gastric cancer and its effect on cell biological behaviour. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e91307 pubmed publisher..And we identified that downregulation of microRNA-214 may regulate the proliferation, invasion and migration of gastric cancer cells by directly targeting CSF1. ..
- Shen G, Li W, Liu Y, Li X, Yuan H. Association between a microRNA-214 binding site polymorphism in the methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase gene and esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Genet Mol Res. 2016;15: pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrate that a polymorphism at the miR-214 binding site in the 3'-UTR of MTHFR is an ESCC susceptibility SNP in the Chinese population. ..
- Wang F, Li L, Chen Z, Zhu M, Gu Y. MicroRNA-214 acts as a potential oncogene in breast cancer by targeting the PTEN-PI3K/Akt signaling pathway. Int J Mol Med. 2016;37:1421-8 pubmed publisher..Thus, pharmaceutical interventions targeting miR‑124 may provide a promising therapeutic strategy for the treatment of breast cancer. ..
- Lu Q, Xu L, Li C, Yuan Y, Huang S, Chen H. miR-214 inhibits invasion and migration via downregulating GALNT7 in esophageal squamous cell cancer. Tumour Biol. 2016;37:14605-14614 pubmed..Consequently, we concluded that miR-214 shows potential to be a diagnostic marker and therapeutic target in ESCC. ..
- Li J, Zhang S, Qiu X, Zhang S, Zheng S, Zhang D. Long non-coding RNA NEAT1 promotes malignant progression of thyroid carcinoma by regulating miRNA-214. Int J Oncol. 2017;50:708-716 pubmed publisher..In addition, NEAT1 promoted the malignant progression of thyroid cancer through regulating miRNA‑214 expression, which adds to our understanding of the molecular mechanisms in thyroid carcinoma. ..
- Zhao W, Wu S, Zhang Y. Downregulation of miR-124 promotes the growth and invasiveness of glioblastoma cells involving upregulation of PPP1R13L. Int J Mol Med. 2013;32:101-7 pubmed publisher..Consequently, our findings provide a molecular basis for the role of miR-124/PPP1R13L in the progression of human glioblastoma and suggest a novel target for the treatment of glioblastoma. ..
- Das F, Dey N, Bera A, Kasinath B, Ghosh Choudhury N, Choudhury G. MicroRNA-214 Reduces Insulin-like Growth Factor-1 (IGF-1) Receptor Expression and Downstream mTORC1 Signaling in Renal Carcinoma Cells. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:14662-76 pubmed publisher..Our data provide evidence for a novel mechanism for IGF-1R-driven renal cancer cell proliferation involving miR-214 and mTORC1. ..
- Chen Z, Liu H, Zhang J, Zhang S, Zhao L, Liang W. Upregulated microRNA-214 enhances cardiac injury by targeting ITCH during coxsackievirus infection. Mol Med Rep. 2015;12:1258-64 pubmed publisher....
- Zhang Q, Zhang S. miR-214 promotes radioresistance in human ovarian cancer cells by targeting PETN. Biosci Rep. 2017;37: pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data conclude that miR-214 contributes to radioresistance of ovarian cancer by directly targeting PTEN. ..
- Salim H, Arvanitis A, De Petris L, Kanter L, Haag P, Zovko A, et al. miRNA-214 is related to invasiveness of human non-small cell lung cancer and directly regulates alpha protein kinase 2 expression. Genes Chromosomes Cancer. 2013;52:895-911 pubmed publisher..However, we also showed that the membrane-localized PAPP-A had a higher expression level compared to the cytoplasm-localized. In conclusion, we show that low miRNA-214 expression is linked to a higher invasive potential of NSCLC cells. ..
- Li Q, Xie Y, Wu Y, Li L, Liu Y, Miao X, et al. Sulforaphane inhibits cancer stem-like cell properties and cisplatin resistance through miR-214-mediated downregulation of c-MYC in non-small cell lung cancer. Oncotarget. 2017;8:12067-12080 pubmed publisher....
- Elemeery M, Badr A, Mohamed M, Ghareeb D. Validation of a serum microRNA panel as biomarkers for early diagnosis of hepatocellular carcinoma post-hepatitis C infection in Egyptian patients. World J Gastroenterol. 2017;23:3864-3875 pubmed publisher..Expression levels of miR214-5p, miR-125b, miR-1269 and miR-375 were quantified using quantitative real-time PCR...
- Alimirah F, Peng X, Gupta A, Yuan L, Welsh J, Cleary M, et al. Crosstalk between the vitamin D receptor (VDR) and miR-214 in regulating SuFu, a hedgehog pathway inhibitor in breast cancer cells. Exp Cell Res. 2016;349:15-22 pubmed publisher..miR-214 on the other hand suppressed SuFu protein expression. These findings suggest a crosstalk between VDR and miR-214 in regulating hedgehog signaling in breast cancer cells, providing new therapies for breast cancer. ..
- Yamane K, Jinnin M, Etoh T, Kobayashi Y, Shimozono N, Fukushima S, et al. Down-regulation of miR-124/-214 in cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma mediates abnormal cell proliferation via the induction of ERK. J Mol Med (Berl). 2013;91:69-81 pubmed publisher..On the other hand, miR-214 was not detected in the serum. Investigation of the regulatory mechanisms of keratinocyte proliferation by microRNA may lead to develop new biomarkers and treatments using microRNA. ..