Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: PPARGC1A
Description: PPARG coactivator 1 alpha
Alias: LEM6, PGC-1(alpha), PGC-1alpha, PGC-1v, PGC1, PGC1A, PPARGC1, peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator 1-alpha, L-PGC-1alpha, PGC-1-alpha, PPAR gamma coactivator variant form, PPARGC-1-alpha, PPARgamma coactivator 1alpha, ligand effect modulator-6, peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator 1 alpha transcript variant B4-3ext, peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator 1 alpha transcript variant B4-8a, peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator 1 alpha transcript variant B5-NT
- Kim J, Shin H, Park B, Cho Y, Kim S, Lee H, et al. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator 1 alpha promoter polymorphisms are associated with early-onset type 2 diabetes mellitus in the Korean population. Diabetologia. 2005;48:1323-30 pubmed..Therefore, genetic variation of PPARGC1A could be implicated in the onset of type 2 diabetes...
- Andersen G, Wegner L, Jensen D, Glümer C, Tarnow L, Drivsholm T, et al. PGC-1alpha Gly482Ser polymorphism associates with hypertension among Danish whites. Hypertension. 2005;45:565-70 pubmed..001). In conclusion, the Ser allele of PGC-1alpha Gly482Ser confers a significantly reduced risk of hypertension in whites. Further studies are needed to elucidate the differential role of this polymorphism in men and women. ..
- Oberkofler H, Linnemayr V, Weitgasser R, Klein K, Xie M, Iglseder B, et al. Complex haplotypes of the PGC-1alpha gene are associated with carbohydrate metabolism and type 2 diabetes. Diabetes. 2004;53:1385-93 pubmed..01). Thus, the PGC-1alpha gene locus influences carbohydrate metabolism and contributes to type 2 diabetes in the population studied. ..
- Bhalla K, Hwang B, Dewi R, Ou L, Twaddel W, Fang H, et al. PGC1α promotes tumor growth by inducing gene expression programs supporting lipogenesis. Cancer Res. 2011;71:6888-98 pubmed publisher..PPARγ coactivator 1α (PGC1α) is a key transcriptional regulator of several metabolic pathways including oxidative metabolism and lipogenesis...
- Ondracek C, Rushing C, Reese V, Oropeza C, McLachlan A. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma Coactivator 1alpha and small heterodimer partner differentially regulate nuclear receptor-dependent hepatitis B virus biosynthesis. J Virol. 2009;83:12535-44 pubmed publisher..Additionally, this functional approach may help to distinguish the transcription factors in various liver cells governing viral biosynthesis under a variety of physiologically relevant conditions. ..
- Okauchi Y, Iwahashi H, Okita K, Yuan M, Matsuda M, Tanaka T, et al. PGC-1alpha Gly482Ser polymorphism is associated with the plasma adiponectin level in type 2 diabetic men. Endocr J. 2008;55:991-7 pubmed..Therefore the observed gender-specific association between PGC-1alpha and the plasma adiponectin level may reflect linkage disequilibrium of Gly482Ser polymorphism with other causative variations. ..
- Alvarez Guardia D, Palomer X, Coll T, Davidson M, Chan T, Feldman A, et al. The p65 subunit of NF-kappaB binds to PGC-1alpha, linking inflammation and metabolic disturbances in cardiac cells. Cardiovasc Res. 2010;87:449-58 pubmed publisher....
- Nordsborg N, Lundby C, Leick L, Pilegaard H. Relative workload determines exercise-induced increases in PGC-1alpha mRNA. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2010;42:1477-84 pubmed publisher..The relative intensity of brief intermittent exercise is of major importance for the exercise-induced increase of several mRNA, including PGC-1alpha. ..
- Vimaleswaran K, Radha V, Ghosh S, Majumder P, Deepa R, Babu H, et al. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma co-activator-1alpha (PGC-1alpha) gene polymorphisms and their relationship to Type 2 diabetes in Asian Indians. Diabet Med. 2005;22:1516-21 pubmed..6 times higher risk for Type 2 diabetes compared with the GG genotype in this population. ..
- Ridderstrale M, Johansson L, Rastam L, Lindblad U. Increased risk of obesity associated with the variant allele of the PPARGC1A Gly482Ser polymorphism in physically inactive elderly men. Diabetologia. 2006;49:496-500 pubmed..allele of the Gly482Ser polymorphism in peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma co-activator-1alpha (PPARGC1A or PGC1alpha), a critical determinant of skeletal muscle metabolism, has been associated with obesity and type 2 ..
- Ambye L, Rasmussen S, Fenger M, Jørgensen T, Borch Johnsen K, Madsbad S, et al. Studies of the Gly482Ser polymorphism of the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator 1alpha (PGC-1alpha) gene in Danish subjects with the metabolic syndrome. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2005;67:175-9 pubmed..In conclusion, the Gly482Ser polymorphism of the PGC-1alpha gene is not associated with the metabolic syndrome, related quantitative traits or cardiac hypertrophy among Danish Caucasian subjects. ..
- Qin W, Haroutunian V, Katsel P, Cardozo C, Ho L, Buxbaum J, et al. PGC-1alpha expression decreases in the Alzheimer disease brain as a function of dementia. Arch Neurol. 2009;66:352-61 pubmed publisher..Therapeutic preservation of neuronal PGC-1alpha expression promotes the nonamyloidogenic processing of amyloid precursor protein precluding the generation of amyloidogenic Abeta peptides. ..
- Vimaleswaran K, Luan J, Andersen G, Muller Y, Wheeler E, Brito E, et al. The Gly482Ser genotype at the PPARGC1A gene and elevated blood pressure: a meta-analysis involving 13,949 individuals. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2008;105:1352-8 pubmed publisherThe protein encoded by the PPARGC1A gene is expressed at high levels in metabolically active tissues and is involved in the control of oxidative stress via reactive oxygen species detoxification...
- Lira V, Benton C, Yan Z, Bonen A. PGC-1alpha regulation by exercise training and its influences on muscle function and insulin sensitivity. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2010;299:E145-61 pubmed publisher....
- Irrcher I, Ljubicic V, Kirwan A, Hood D. AMP-activated protein kinase-regulated activation of the PGC-1alpha promoter in skeletal muscle cells. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3614 pubmed publisher..Our data identify a novel AMPK-mediated regulatory pathway that regulates PGC-1alpha gene expression. This could represent a potential therapeutic target to control PGC-1alpha expression in skeletal muscle. ..
- Vimaleswaran K, Radha V, Anjana M, Deepa R, Ghosh S, Majumder P, et al. Effect of polymorphisms in the PPARGC1A gene on body fat in Asian Indians. Int J Obes (Lond). 2006;30:884-91 pubmedTo evaluate whether polymorphisms in the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1 alpha (PPARGC1A) gene were related to body fat in Asian Indians...
- Liang H, Ward W. PGC-1alpha: a key regulator of energy metabolism. Adv Physiol Educ. 2006;30:145-51 pubmed..In particular, its regulatory function in lipid metabolism makes it an inviting target for pharmacological intervention in the treatment of obesity and Type 2 diabetes. ..
- Mathai A, Bonen A, Benton C, Robinson D, Graham T. Rapid exercise-induced changes in PGC-1alpha mRNA and protein in human skeletal muscle. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2008;105:1098-105 pubmed publisher..The beta-isoform declined rather than increasing, and this was greater when glycogen was not resynthesized to rest levels. ..
- Rai E, Sharma S, Koul A, Bhat A, Bhanwer A, Bamezai R. Interaction between the UCP2-866G/A, mtDNA 10398G/A and PGC1alpha p.Thr394Thr and p.Gly482Ser polymorphisms in type 2 diabetes susceptibility in North Indian population. Hum Genet. 2007;122:535-40 pubmed..59, 5.53-13.35 at 95% CI), showed a highly significant difference and increased ORs. In a complex disease, it is always encouraging to find an additive interaction of multiple small effects of the studied candidate gene variations. ..
- Little J, Safdar A, Cermak N, Tarnopolsky M, Gibala M. Acute endurance exercise increases the nuclear abundance of PGC-1alpha in trained human skeletal muscle. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2010;298:R912-7 pubmed publisher....
- Petrovic M, Kunej T, Peterlin B, Dovc P, Petrovic D. Gly482Ser polymorphism of the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1 gene might be a risk factor for diabetic retinopathy in Slovene population (Caucasians) with type 2 diabetes and the Pro12Ala polymorphism of the PPARgamma g. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2005;21:470-4 pubmed..The PPARgamma gene and its coactivator, the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1 (PPARGC1) gene, have been implicated to be involved in glucose uptake and altered lipid oxidation...
- Little J, Safdar A, Bishop D, Tarnopolsky M, Gibala M. An acute bout of high-intensity interval training increases the nuclear abundance of PGC-1α and activates mitochondrial biogenesis in human skeletal muscle. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2011;300:R1303-10 pubmed publisher..These findings support the hypothesis that an acute bout of low-volume HIT activates mitochondrial biogenesis through a mechanism involving increased nuclear abundance of PGC-1α. ..
- Feilchenfeldt J, Brundler M, Soravia C, Totsch M, Meier C. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors (PPARs) and associated transcription factors in colon cancer: reduced expression of PPARgamma-coactivator 1 (PGC-1). Cancer Lett. 2004;203:25-33 pubmed..Taken together our data suggest that the transcriptional activity of PPARgamma may not only be decreased by mutation but also by downregulation of the coactivator PGC-1 of PPARgamma. ..
- Won J, Park J, Kim Y, Koh E, Seol S, Jeon B, et al. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator 1-alpha overexpression prevents endothelial apoptosis by increasing ATP/ADP translocase activity. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2010;30:290-7 pubmed publisher..Measures to increase PGC-1alpha expression or ATP/ADP translocase activity in vascular cells may aid in the prevention or treatment of atherosclerosis. ..
- Fan M, Rhee J, St Pierre J, Handschin C, Puigserver P, Lin J, et al. Suppression of mitochondrial respiration through recruitment of p160 myb binding protein to PGC-1alpha: modulation by p38 MAPK. Genes Dev. 2004;18:278-89 pubmed..The discovery of p160MBP as a PGC-1alpha regulator has important implications for the understanding of energy balance and diabetes. ..
- Nelson T, Fingerlin T, Moss L, Barmada M, Ferrell R, Norris J. The peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator-1 alpha gene (PGC-1alpha) is not associated with type 2 diabetes mellitus or body mass index among Hispanic and non Hispanic Whites from Colorado. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes. 2007;115:268-75 pubmed..In conclusion, we did not find an association between the PGC-1alpha gene and T2DM or BMI and there were no consistent interactions with diet, physical activity or the Pro12Ala polymorphism of the PPAR-gamma gene. ..
- Lucia A, Gomez Gallego F, Barroso I, Rabadán M, Bandres F, San Juan A, et al. PPARGC1A genotype (Gly482Ser) predicts exceptional endurance capacity in European men. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2005;99:344-8 pubmedAnimal and human data indicate a role for the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator 1alpha (PPARGC1A) gene product in the development of maximal oxygen uptake (V(O2 max)), a determinant of endurance capacity, ..
- Zhang Y, Xu W, Li X, Tang Y, Xie P, Ji Y, et al. Association between PPARGC1A gene polymorphisms and coronary artery disease in a Chinese population. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2008;35:1172-7 pubmed publisherPeroxisome proliferrator-activated receptor gamma coactivator-1alpha (PGC-1alpha; PPARGC1A) is a coactivator of the nuclear hormone receptor family that participates in the transcriptional programme of lipid metabolism and oxidative ..
- Gillberg L, Jacobsen S, Rönn T, Brøns C, Vaag A. PPARGC1A DNA methylation in subcutaneous adipose tissue in low birth weight subjects--impact of 5 days of high-fat overfeeding. Metabolism. 2014;63:263-71 pubmed publisher..DNA methylation of the metabolic regulator peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator 1 alpha (PPARGC1A) has been reported in skeletal muscle from type 2 diabetes (T2D) subjects and from low birth weight (LBW) ..
- Hsieh M, Lin K, Tien K, Tu S, Hsiao J, Chang S, et al. Common polymorphisms of the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma (Pro12Ala) and peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1 (Gly482Ser) and the response to pioglitazone in Chinese patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Metabolism. 2010;59:1139-44 pubmed publisher..These findings may be helpful for targeted treatment of diabetes by identifying patients who are likely to respond to pioglitazone. ..
- Soyal S, Krempler F, Oberkofler H, Patsch W. PGC-1alpha: a potent transcriptional cofactor involved in the pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes. Diabetologia. 2006;49:1477-88 pubmed....
- Bhat A, Koul A, Rai E, Sharma S, Dhar M, Bamezai R. PGC-1alpha Thr394Thr and Gly482Ser variants are significantly associated with T2DM in two North Indian populations: a replicate case-control study. Hum Genet. 2007;121:609-14 pubmedThe recent observations that Peroxisome proliferator activated receptor gamma coactivator 1 alpha (PGC1A) is responsible for the induction of reactive oxygen species (ROS) detoxifying agents and that ROS triggers insulin resistance, ..
- Shin J, Ko H, Kang H, Lee Y, Lee Y, Pletinkova O, et al. PARIS (ZNF746) repression of PGC-1α contributes to neurodegeneration in Parkinson's disease. Cell. 2011;144:689-702 pubmed publisher..The identification of PARIS provides a molecular mechanism for neurodegeneration due to parkin inactivation. ..
- Fanelli M, Filippi E, Sentinelli F, Romeo S, Fallarino M, Buzzetti R, et al. The Gly482Ser missense mutation of the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator-1 alpha (PGC-1 alpha) gene associates with reduced insulin sensitivity in normal and glucose-intolerant obese subjects. Dis Markers. 2005;21:175-80 pubmed..This association resulted independent from all other known modulators of insulin resistance, and suggests a primary role for the PGC-1alpha gene on the genetic susceptibility to insulin resistance in obesity. ..
- Clarke Harris R, Wilkin T, Hosking J, Pinkney J, Jeffery A, Metcalf B, et al. PGC1α promoter methylation in blood at 5-7 years predicts adiposity from 9 to 14 years (EarlyBird 50). Diabetes. 2014;63:2528-37 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that temporally stable CpG loci measured in childhood may have utility in predicting CMD risk. ..
- Zhang S, Lu W, Yan L, Wu M, Xu M, Chen L, et al. Association between peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1alpha gene polymorphisms and type 2 diabetes in southern Chinese population: role of altered interaction with myocyte enhancer factor 2C. Chin Med J (Engl). 2007;120:1878-85 pubmed..The underlying mechanism may be attributable, at least in part, to the altered interaction between the different variants (Gly482Ser, Thr394Thr) in the PGC-1alpha gene and MEF2C. ..
- Katsouri L, Parr C, Bogdanovic N, Willem M, Sastre M. PPARγ co-activator-1α (PGC-1α) reduces amyloid-β generation through a PPARγ-dependent mechanism. J Alzheimers Dis. 2011;25:151-62 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, since PGC-1α appears to decrease Aβ generation, therapeutic modulation of PGC-1α could have real potential as a treatment for AD. ..
- Barres R, Osler M, Yan J, Rune A, Fritz T, Caidahl K, et al. Non-CpG methylation of the PGC-1alpha promoter through DNMT3B controls mitochondrial density. Cell Metab. 2009;10:189-98 pubmed publisher..We provide evidence for PGC-1alpha hypermethylation, concomitant with reduced mitochondrial content in type 2 diabetic patients, and link DNMT3B to the acute fatty-acid-induced non-CpG methylation of PGC-1alpha promoter. ..
- Barroso I, Luan J, Sandhu M, Franks P, Crowley V, Schafer A, et al. Meta-analysis of the Gly482Ser variant in PPARGC1A in type 2 diabetes and related phenotypes. Diabetologia. 2006;49:501-5 pubmedPeroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma co-activator-1alpha (PPARGC1A) is a transcriptional co-activator with a central role in energy expenditure and glucose metabolism...
- Pihlajamaki J, Kinnunen M, Ruotsalainen E, Salmenniemi U, Vauhkonen I, Kuulasmaa T, et al. Haplotypes of PPARGC1A are associated with glucose tolerance, body mass index and insulin sensitivity in offspring of patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetologia. 2005;48:1331-4 pubmedDecreased expression of the peroxisomal proliferator activated receptor gamma coactivator 1 alpha gene (PPARGC1A) is found in patients with type 2 diabetes, and variants in this gene have been linked with type 2 diabetes...
- Gibala M, McGee S, Garnham A, Howlett K, Snow R, Hargreaves M. Brief intense interval exercise activates AMPK and p38 MAPK signaling and increases the expression of PGC-1alpha in human skeletal muscle. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2009;106:929-34 pubmed publisher....
- Handschin C, Spiegelman B. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator 1 coactivators, energy homeostasis, and metabolism. Endocr Rev. 2006;27:728-35 pubmed..Recent studies have elucidated the function of the PGC-1 coactivators in different tissues and have highlighted the implications of PGC-1 dysregulation in diseases such as diabetes, obesity, cardiomyopathy, or neurodegeneration. ..
- Marmolino D, Manto M, Acquaviva F, Vergara P, Ravella A, Monticelli A, et al. PGC-1alpha down-regulation affects the antioxidant response in Friedreich's ataxia. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e10025 pubmed publisher..This response can be restored by AMPK and PPARgamma agonists, suggesting a potential therapeutic approach for FRDA. ..
- Narkar V, Downes M, Yu R, Embler E, Wang Y, Banayo E, et al. AMPK and PPARdelta agonists are exercise mimetics. Cell. 2008;134:405-15 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that AMPK-PPARdelta pathway can be targeted by orally active drugs to enhance training adaptation or even to increase endurance without exercise. ..
- Ondracek C, Reese V, Rushing C, Oropeza C, McLachlan A. Distinct regulation of hepatitis B virus biosynthesis by peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator 1alpha and small heterodimer partner in human hepatoma cell lines. J Virol. 2009;83:12545-51 pubmed publisher..Therefore, this approach indicates that the transcriptional regulation of HBV biosynthesis in HepG2 and Huh7 cells is primarily controlled by different transcription factors. ..
- Ondracek C, McLachlan A. Role of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator 1alpha in AKT/PKB-mediated inhibition of hepatitis B virus biosynthesis. J Virol. 2011;85:11891-900 pubmed publisher..Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor γ coactivator 1α (PGC1α) enhances the activity of nuclear receptors and, consequently, HBV biosynthesis...
- Su Y, Peng S, Li Z, Huang Q. [Association study between PPARGC1A Thr394Thr/ Gly482Ser polymorphisms and type 2 diabetes]. Yi Chuan. 2008;30:304-8 pubmed..rs2970847(Thr394Thr) and rs8192678(Gly482Ser) of peroxisome proliferators activated receptor gamma coactivator-1(PPARGC1A)gene and type 2 diabetes in Chinese Han population in Hubei...
- Cui L, Jeong H, Borovecki F, Parkhurst C, Tanese N, Krainc D. Transcriptional repression of PGC-1alpha by mutant huntingtin leads to mitochondrial dysfunction and neurodegeneration. Cell. 2006;127:59-69 pubmed..These studies suggest a key role for PGC-1alpha in the control of energy metabolism in the early stages of HD pathogenesis. ..
- Frances F, Verdu F, Portoles O, Castello A, Sorli J, Guillen M, et al. PPAR-alpha L162V and PGC-1 G482S gene polymorphisms, but not PPAR-gamma P12A, are associated with alcohol consumption in a Spanish Mediterranean population. Clin Chim Acta. 2008;398:70-4 pubmed publisher..2 g/day, SS 5.6+/-7.8 g/day, p=0.003). These results remained statistically significant after covariate adjustment. PPAR-alpha L162V and PGC-1A G482S polymorphisms are associated with alcohol consumption in the Mediterranean population. ..
- Chen S, Yan W, Huang J, Yang W, Gu D. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1alpha polymorphism is not associated with essential hypertension and type 2 diabetes mellitus in Chinese population. Hypertens Res. 2004;27:813-20 pubmed..In conclusion, these results indicated that these two variations in the PGC-1alpha gene might not contribute to the risk of hypertension and type 2 diabetes in the Chinese population studied here. ..
- Rodgers J, Lerin C, Haas W, Gygi S, Spiegelman B, Puigserver P. Nutrient control of glucose homeostasis through a complex of PGC-1alpha and SIRT1. Nature. 2005;434:113-8 pubmed..Thus, we have identified a molecular mechanism whereby SIRT1 functions in glucose homeostasis as a modulator of PGC-1alpha. These findings have strong implications for the basic pathways of energy homeostasis, diabetes and lifespan. ..
- Egan B, Carson B, Garcia Roves P, Chibalin A, Sarsfield F, Barron N, et al. Exercise intensity-dependent regulation of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor coactivator-1 mRNA abundance is associated with differential activation of upstream signalling kinases in human skeletal muscle. J Physiol. 2010;588:1779-90 pubmed publisher..This effect is mediated by differential activation of multiple signalling pathways, with ATF-2 and HDAC phosphorylation proposed as key intensity-dependent mediators. ..
- Stepto N, Benziane B, Wadley G, Chibalin A, Canny B, Eynon N, et al. Short-term intensified cycle training alters acute and chronic responses of PGC1α and Cytochrome C oxidase IV to exercise in human skeletal muscle. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e53080 pubmed publisher..Muscle PGC1-α mRNA expression was attenuated as it increased by 11- and 4- fold (P<0...
- SanGiovanni J, Chen J, Sapieha P, Aderman C, Stahl A, Clemons T, et al. DNA sequence variants in PPARGC1A, a gene encoding a coactivator of the ω-3 LCPUFA sensing PPAR-RXR transcription complex, are associated with NV AMD and AMD-associated loci in genes of complement and VEGF signaling pathways. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e53155 pubmed publisher..We postulated that DNA sequence variation in PPAR gamma (PPARG) co-activator 1 alpha (PPARGC1A), a gene encoding a co-activator of the LCPUFA-sensing PPARG-retinoid X receptor (RXR) transcription complex, may ..
- Tian X, Zhao F, Cheng Z, Zhou M, Zhi X, Li J, et al. GCN5 acetyltransferase inhibits PGC1α-induced hepatitis B virus biosynthesis. Virol Sin. 2013;28:216-22 pubmed publisher..Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-γ coactivator 1α (PGC1α) coactivates and further enhances the effect of HNF4α on HBV biosynthesis...
- Kong X, Wang R, Xue Y, Liu X, Zhang H, Chen Y, et al. Sirtuin 3, a new target of PGC-1alpha, plays an important role in the suppression of ROS and mitochondrial biogenesis. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e11707 pubmed publisher..Thus, SIRT3 integrates cellular energy metabolism and ROS generation. The elucidation of the molecular mechanisms of SIRT3 regulation and its physiological functions may provide a novel target for treating ROS-related disease. ..
- Franks P, Ekelund U, Brage S, Luan J, Schafer A, O Rahilly S, et al. PPARGC1A coding variation may initiate impaired NEFA clearance during glucose challenge. Diabetologia. 2007;50:569-73 pubmedThe peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma coactivator 1-alpha protein, encoded by the PPARGC1A gene, transcriptionally activates a complex pathway of lipid and glucose metabolism and is expressed primarily in tissues of high ..
- Eschbach J, Schwalenstocker B, Soyal S, Bayer H, Wiesner D, Akimoto C, et al. PGC-1α is a male-specific disease modifier of human and experimental amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Hum Mol Genet. 2013;22:3477-84 pubmed publisher..In summary, we indentify PGC-1α as a novel and clinically relevant disease modifier of human and experimental ALS and report a sex-dependent effect of PGC-1α in this neurodegenerative disorder. ..
- Zhang Y, Ba Y, Liu C, Sun G, Ding L, Gao S, et al. PGC-1alpha induces apoptosis in human epithelial ovarian cancer cells through a PPARgamma-dependent pathway. Cell Res. 2007;17:363-73 pubmed..Our findings indicated that PGC-1alpha was involved in the apoptotic signal transduction pathways and downregulation of PGC-1alpha may be a key point in promoting epithelial ovarian cancer growth and progression. ..
- Ling C, Del Guerra S, Lupi R, Rönn T, Granhall C, Luthman H, et al. Epigenetic regulation of PPARGC1A in human type 2 diabetic islets and effect on insulin secretion. Diabetologia. 2008;51:615-22 pubmed publisher..coactivator peroxisome proliferator activated receptor gamma coactivator-1 alpha (protein PGC-1alpha; gene PPARGC1A) is a master regulator of mitochondrial genes and its expression is decreased and related to impaired oxidative ..
- Iglseder B, Oberkofler H, Felder T, Klein K, Paulweber B, Krempler F, et al. Associations of PPARGC1A haplotypes with plaque score but not with intima-media thickness of carotid arteries in middle-aged subjects. Stroke. 2006;37:2260-5 pubmedPeroxisome proliferator activated receptor gamma coactivator 1alpha (PGC-1alpha, PPARGC1A) integrates the transcriptional program of mitochondrial biogenesis...
- Taherzadeh Fard E, Saft C, Andrich J, Wieczorek S, Arning L. PGC-1alpha as modifier of onset age in Huntington disease. Mol Neurodegener. 2009;4:10 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that PGC-1alpha has modifying effects on the pathogenic process in HD. ..