Genomes and Genes
uncoupling protein 2
Gene Symbol: uncoupling protein 2
Description: uncoupling protein 2
Alias: BMIQ4, SLC25A8, UCPH, mitochondrial uncoupling protein 2, solute carrier family 25 member 8, uncoupling protein 2 (mitochondrial, proton carrier)
Publications245 found, 100 shown here
- UCP2 -866G/A and Ala55Val, and UCP3 -55C/T polymorphisms in association with type 2 diabetes susceptibility: a meta-analysis studyK Xu
Department of Endocrinology, The First Affiliated Hospital of Nanjing Medical University, 300 Guangzhou Road, Nanjing, 210029 Jiangsu, China
Diabetologia 54:2315-24. 2011..A meta-analysis was performed to assess the association between the UCP2 -866G/A, UCP2 Ala55Val and UCP3 -55C/T polymorphisms and type 2 diabetes susceptibility...
- Leucine zipper EF hand-containing transmembrane protein 1 (Letm1) and uncoupling proteins 2 and 3 (UCP2/3) contribute to two distinct mitochondrial Ca2+ uptake pathwaysMarkus Waldeck-Weiermair
Institute of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, Molecular and Cellular Physiology Research Unit, Center of Molecular Medicine, Medical University Graz, Harrachgasse 21 III, 8010 Graz, Austria
J Biol Chem 286:28444-55. 2011..Our data indicate that Letm1 and UCP2/3 independently contribute to two distinct, mitochondrial Ca(2+) uptake pathways in intact endothelial cells...
- Associations between UCP1 -3826A/G, UCP2 -866G/A, Ala55Val and Ins/Del, and UCP3 -55C/T polymorphisms and susceptibility to type 2 diabetes mellitus: case-control study and meta-analysisBianca M de Souza
Endocrinology Division, Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
PLoS ONE 8:e54259. 2013..This paper describes a case-control study and a meta-analysis conducted to attempt to determine whether the following polymorphisms are associated with T2DM: -3826A/G (UCP1); -866G/A, Ala55Val and Ins/Del (UCP2) and -55C/T (UCP3)...
- The effects of the overexpression of recombinant uncoupling protein 2 on proliferation, migration and plasminogen activator inhibitor 1 expression in human vascular smooth muscle cellsJ Y Park
Department of Internal Medicine, College of Medicine, University of Ulsan, Poongnap dong, Songpa Ku, Seoul 138 736, South Korea
Diabetologia 48:1022-8. 2005..b>Uncoupling protein 2 (UCP-2) is an important regulator of intracellular reactive oxygen species (ROS) production...
- Polymorphisms of the UCP2 gene are associated with proliferative diabetic retinopathy in patients with diabetes mellitusDaisy Crispim
Endocrine Division, Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 72:612-9. 2010b>Uncoupling protein 2 (UCP2) plays a role in controlling reactive oxygen species (ROS) production by mitochondria...
- UCP2 is a mitochondrial transporter with an unusual very short half-lifeSophie Rousset
CNRS UPR 9078 Université Paris Descartes, Faculte de Medecine, Site Necker, 75730 Paris Cedex 15, France
FEBS Lett 581:479-82. 2007This study focused on the stability of UCP2 (uncoupling protein 2), a mitochondrial carrier located in the inner membrane of mitochondrion...
- Effects of UCP2 and UCP3 variants on the manifestation of overweight in Korean childrenH S Jun
Division of Metabolic Diseases, Center for Biomedical Sciences, Korean National Institute of Health, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Obesity (Silver Spring) 17:355-62. 2009..6 +/- 2.3 kg/m(2) vs. 16.1 +/- 1.9 kg/m(2), P = 0.016). Low physical activity may aggravate the susceptibility to overweight in UCP2-866GG and UCP3-55CC carriers...
- A 45-bp insertion/deletion polymorphism of uncoupling protein 2 in relation to obesity in TongansNatalia L Duarte
Cardiovascular Genetics Laboratory, Department of Medicine, Prince of Wales Hospital, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
Obes Res 11:512-7. 2003..This may be the result of a founder effect and may be relevant to the prevalence of obesity and type 2 diabetes in Tonga...
- A polymorphism in the promoter of UCP2 gene modulates lipid levels in patients with type 2 diabetesAndre F Reis
INSERM Unit 561, Hopital Saint Vincent de Paul, Paris, France
Mol Genet Metab 82:339-44. 2004..The implications of this effect in the evolution of type 2 diabetes and its macrovascular complications deserve to be investigated...
- Targeted expression of the human uncoupling protein 2 (hUCP2) to adult neurons extends life span in the flyYih Woei C Fridell
Department of Genetics and Developmental Biology, School of Medicine, University of Connecticut Health Center, 263 Farmington Avenue, Farmington, Connecticut 06030, USA
Cell Metab 1:145-52. 2005..Our results demonstrate that neuronal-specific expression of hUCP2 in adult flies decreases cellular oxidative damage and is sufficient to extend life span...
- Uncoupling protein-2 modulates myocardial excitation-contraction couplingJAY D TURNER
Department of Pharmacology and Physiology, UMDNJ New Jersey Medical School, Newark, NJ 07103, USA
Circ Res 106:730-8. 2010..However, in apparent conflict with its uncoupling role, UCP2 has also been proposed to be essential for mitochondrial Ca(2+) uptake, which could have a protective action by stimulating mitochondrial ATP production...
- Uncoupling protein-2 knockdown mediates the cytotoxic effects of cisplatinFrancisca M Santandreu
Grupo Multidisciplinar de Oncología Traslacional, Institut Universitari d Investigacio en Ciencies de la Salut, Universitat de les Illes Balears, Palma de Mallorca 07122, Illes Balears, Spain
Free Radic Biol Med 49:658-66. 2010..In conclusion, we show for the first time that UCP2 knockdown participates in the mechanism of action of cisplatin, thus providing evidence that targeting UCP2 may offer clinical benefit in the treatment of cancer...
- Guanosine diphosphate exerts a lower effect on superoxide release from mitochondrial matrix in the brains of uncoupling protein-2 knockout mice: new evidence for a putative novel function of uncoupling proteins as superoxide anion transportersJan M Suski
Department of Biochemistry, Nencki Institute of Experimental Biology, Warsaw, Poland
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 428:234-8. 2012..This putative novel UCP2 activity, evaluated by the use of UCP2-knockout transgenic animals, along with the known antioxidant defence systems, may provide additional protection from ROS in brain mitochondria...
- Localisation and characterisation of uncoupling protein-2 (UCP2) in the human preterm placentaM J Stark
Research Centre for Early Origins of Health and Disease, The Robinson Institute, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Placenta 33:1020-5. 2012..The current data supports gestation dependant alterations in UCP2 mRNA expression and immunohistochemical localisation in the human placenta but no evidence for an important role for UCP2 in protection against placental oxidative damage...
- Mitochondrial uncoupling protein 2 (UCP2) gene polymorphisms are associated with childhood obesity and related metabolic disordersSibel Oğuzkan-Balci
Department of Medical Biology and Genetics, University of Gaziantep, Gaziantep, Turkey
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 26:277-83. 2013This study aimed to investigate the possible role of uncoupling protein 2 (UCP2) gene polymorphisms in childhood obesity and related metabolic disorders.
- Genetic variants of uncoupling proteins-2 and -3 in relation to maximal oxygen uptake in different sportsJoanna Holdys
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Physical Education, Sport and Rehabilitation, The Eugeniusz Piasecki University School of Physical Education, Poznan, Poland
Acta Biochim Pol 60:71-5. 2013..Insertion allele (I) of the I/D UCP2 and the T allele of the UCP3 gene were favourable in obtaining higher VO₂max level and might be considered as endurance-related alleles...
- Lack of association of functional UCP2 -866G/A and Ala55Val polymorphisms and type 2 diabetes in the Chinese population based on a case-control study and a meta-analysisL J Qin
College of Life Sciences, Central China Normal University, Wuhan, China
Genet Mol Res 12:3324-34. 2013b>Uncoupling protein 2 (UCP2) is a mitochondrial transporter protein and can affect the function of β-cells...
- Transgenic overexpression of uncoupling protein 2 attenuates salt-induced vascular dysfunction by inhibition of oxidative stressShuangtao Ma
Department of Cardiology, General Hospital of PLA Chengdu Military Area Command, Chengdu, Sichuan, PR China
Am J Hypertens 27:345-54. 2014Ablation of uncoupling protein 2 (UCP2) has been involved in the enhancement of salt sensitivity associated with increased superoxide level and decreased nitric oxide (NO) bioavailability...
- Mitochondrial uncoupling protein 2 is up-regulated in human head and neck, skin, pancreatic, and prostate tumorsWenjuan Li
LSU Health Sciences Center in Shreveport, Shreveport, LA, USA School of Basic Medicine, Hebei University, Baoding, Hebei, China
Cancer Biomark 13:377-83. 2013b>Mitochondrial uncoupling protein 2 (UCP2) uncouples electron transport from ATP production. UCP2 has been shown to play an important role in obesity and diabetes...
- The mitochondrial uncoupling protein-2 promotes chemoresistance in cancer cellsZoltan Derdak
Division of Gastroenterology and Liver Research Center, Brown Medical School and Rhode Island Hospital, Providence, Rhode Island, USA
Cancer Res 68:2813-9. 2008..These findings link UCP2 with molecular mechanisms of chemoresistance. Targeting UCP2 may be considered a novel treatment strategy for cancer...
- Structural organization and mutational analysis of the human uncoupling protein-2 (hUCP2) geneN Tu
Laboratory of Molecular Neurogenetics, Center for Psychobiological and Psychosomatic Research FPP, University of Trier, Germany
Life Sci 64:PL41-50. 1999..Expression studies of the wild type and mutant forms of UCP2 should clarify the functional consequences these polymorphisms may have on energy metabolism and body weight regulation...
- Functional organization of the human uncoupling protein-2 gene, and juxtaposition to the uncoupling protein-3 geneC Pecqueur
Centre de recherche sur l Endocrinologie Moleculaire et le Developpement, UPR 9078 CNRS, 9 rue Jules Hetzel, Meudon, 92190, France
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 255:40-6. 1999..Analysis of several genomic clones encompassing UCP2 and/or UCP3 genes demonstrated that the 2 genes are adjacent, the human UCP2 gene being located 7 kb downstream of the UCP3 gene...
- UCP-2 and UCP-3 proteins are differentially regulated in pancreatic beta-cellsYunfeng Li
Larry L Hillblom Islet Research Center, The David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, USA
PLoS ONE 3:e1397. 2008..In the present studies we hypothesize an opposing effect of glucose on the regulation of UCP-2 and UCP-3 in pancreatic islets...
- Uncoupling protein 2 Ala55Val polymorphism is associated with a higher acute insulin response to glucoseAmanda L Willig
Department of Nutrition Sciences, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294 3360, USA
Metabolism 58:877-81. 2009Recent evidence suggests that mitochondrial uncoupling protein 2 (UCP2) in pancreatic beta-cells plays a crucial role in insulin production and secretion...
- Mitochondrial uncoupling protein 2 inhibits mast cell activation and reduces histamine contentMichael Tagen
Department of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Tufts University School of Medicine, Tufts Medical Center, Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Immunol 183:6313-9. 2009..b>Uncoupling protein 2 (UCP2) is a mitochondrial protein that inhibits insulin secretion from beta cells, possibly through down-..
- Abnormal expression of uncoupling protein-2 correlates with CYP11A1 expression in polycystic ovary syndromeYun Liu
Center for Reproductive Medicine, Fuzhou General Hospital, Fuzhou, Fujian Province, China
Reprod Fertil Dev 23:520-6. 2011..These changes in UCP-2 and CYP11A1 expression may mediate follicle development in PCOS...
- [Common variants in beta 3-adrenergic-receptor and uncoupling protein-2 genes are associated with type 2 diabetes and obesity]Ling Ling Xiu
Department of Endocrinology, The First Affiliated Hospital, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou 510080, China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 84:375-9. 2004....
- The uncoupling protein 2 Ala55Val polymorphism is associated with diabetes mellitus: the CARDIA studyXinhua Yu
Division of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55454, USA
Clin Chem 51:1451-6. 2005..Uncoupling proteins (UCPs) reduce ATP generation with concomitant increased release of heat. The activities of UCPs have been related to obesity and energy metabolism...
- Role of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1alpha in the transcriptional regulation of the human uncoupling protein 2 gene in INS-1E cellsHannes Oberkofler
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Landeskliniken and Paracelsus Private Medical University Salzburg, Austria
Endocrinology 147:966-76. 2006A role of uncoupling protein 2 (UCP2) as negative modulator of insulin secretion has been suggested, but the transcriptional pathways regulating beta-cell UCP2 gene expression have been established in rodents only...
- Genetic prediction of future type 2 diabetesValeriya Lyssenko
Department of Clinical Sciences, Diabetes and Endocrinology, Lund University, University Hospital Malmo, Malmo, Sweden
PLoS Med 2:e345. 2005..A number of common variants have been associated with T2D but our knowledge of their ability to predict T2D prospectively is limited...
- Mitochondrial uncoupling protein 2 expression in colon cancer and its clinical significanceXiao Yi Kuai
Department of Gastroenterology, First Affiliated Hospital of Nanjing Medical University, 300 Guangzhou Road, Nanjing 210029, Jiangsu Province, China
World J Gastroenterol 16:5773-8. 2010To detect the expression of mitochondrial uncoupling protein 2 (UCP2) in colon cancer and analyze the relation between UCP2 expression and clinical pathological features of colon cancer.
- Uncoupling protein 2 and 3 gene polymorphisms and their association with type 2 diabetes in asian indiansKarani S Vimaleswaran
Madras Diabetes Research Foundation and Dr Mohan s Diabetes Specialities Centre, Chennai, India
Diabetes Technol Ther 13:19-25. 2011..this study examined the association of -866G/A, Ala55Val, 45bpI/D, and -55C/T polymorphisms at the uncoupling protein (UCP) 3-2 loci with type 2 diabetes in Asian Indians...
- Telomere dysfunction-related serological markers are associated with type 2 diabetesFeng Xiao
Capital Institute of Pediatrics, Beijing, China
Diabetes Care 34:2273-8. 2011....
- Uncoupling protein-3: a new member of the mitochondrial carrier family with tissue-specific expressionO Boss
Department of Medical Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, University of Geneva, Switzerland
FEBS Lett 408:39-42. 1997..This new member of the UCP family is a candidate protein for the modulation of the respiratory control in skeletal muscle...
- UCP3: an uncoupling protein homologue expressed preferentially and abundantly in skeletal muscle and brown adipose tissueA Vidal-Puig
Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 235:79-82. 1997..Since UCP3 is minimally expressed in human heart and other critical organs, it is a promising target for anti-obesity drug development aimed at increasing thermogenesis...
- Variants of uncoupling protein-2 gene and obesity: interaction with peroxisome proliferator-activated receptorgamma2Francesco P Mancini
Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences, University of Sannio, Benevento, Italy
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 59:817-22. 2003..To analyse the association of the UCP2 gene, alone or in combination with the PPARgamma2 gene, with obesity...
- Expression of uncoupling protein-2 in human colon cancerMasayoshi Horimoto
Division of Gastroenterology and Liver Research Center, Rhode Island Hospital and Brown Medical School, Providence, Rhode Island 02903, USA
Clin Cancer Res 10:6203-7. 2004..We hypothesized that UCP2 expression may be increased in colon cancer as part of tumor adaptation...
- Association of a common polymorphism in the promoter of UCP2 with susceptibility to multiple sclerosisSusanne Vogler
Department of Immunology, University of Rostock, Germany
J Mol Med (Berl) 83:806-11. 2005b>Uncoupling protein 2 (UCP2) is a member of the mitochondrial proton transport family that uncouples proton entry to the mitochondria from ATP synthesis. UCP2 expression levels have been linked to predisposition to diabetes and obesity...
- Ala55Val polymorphism on UCP2 gene predicts greater weight loss in morbidly obese patients undergoing gastric bandingHsin Hung Chen
Institute of Microbiology and Biochemistry, College of Life Science, National Taiwan University, ROC
Obes Surg 17:926-33. 2007..Variability in weight loss has been observed from morbidly obese patients receiving bariatric operations. Genetic effects may play a crucial role in this variability...
- Effect of the common -866G/A polymorphism of the uncoupling protein 2 gene on weight loss and body composition under sibutramine therapy in an obese Taiwanese populationTun Jen Hsiao
College of Public Health and Nutrition, Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan
Mol Diagn Ther 14:101-6. 2010....
- High expression of uncoupling protein 2 in foetal liverZ Hodny
Institute of Physiology, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Prague
FEBS Lett 425:185-90. 1998To assess the putative role of mitochondrial uncoupling protein 2 (UCP2) during perinatal development, its expression was analysed in mice and rats. Expression was detected in a large range of foetal tissues...
- Uncoupling protein-2: evidence for its function as a metabolic regulatorM C Saleh
Department of Anatomy and Physiology, University of Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, PE I, Canada
Diabetologia 45:174-87. 2002..The possibility of functions of uncoupling protein-2 in other tissues such as the brain are beginning to emerge...
- Mitochondrial uncoupling protein 2 in the central nervous system: neuromodulator and neuroprotectorTamas L Horvath
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Yale University School of Medicine, 333 Cedar Street, FMB 339, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Biochem Pharmacol 65:1917-21. 2003..These previously unknown functions of UCPs offer new avenues not only for the better understanding of these proteins but also for the furthering of our knowledge on the central nervous system in healthy and disease states...
- Uncoupling protein-2 prevents neuronal death and diminishes brain dysfunction after stroke and brain traumaGustav Mattiasson
Wallenberg Neuroscience Center, BMC A13, 221 84 Lund, Sweden
Nat Med 9:1062-8. 2003..We propose that UCP-2 is an inducible protein that is neuroprotective by activating cellular redox signaling or by inducing mild mitochondrial uncoupling that prevents the release of apoptogenic proteins...
- Uncoupling protein 2 prevents neuronal death including that occurring during seizures: a mechanism for preconditioningSabrina Diano
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Yale Medical School, 333 Cedar Street, New Haven Connecticut 06520, USA
Endocrinology 144:5014-21. 2003....
- Overexpression of uncoupling protein 2 in THP1 monocytes inhibits beta2 integrin-mediated firm adhesion and transendothelial migrationJe Won Ryu
Department of Internal Medicine, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 24:864-70. 2004b>Uncoupling protein 2 (UCP2) belongs to the mitochondrial anion carrier family and regulates production of reactive oxygen species in macrophages...
- Associations of the UCP2 gene locus with asymptomatic carotid atherosclerosis in middle-aged womenH Oberkofler
Paracelsus Private Medical University and Salzburger Landeskliniken, Salzburg, Austria
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 25:604-10. 2005Reactive oxygen species (ROS) contribute to atherogenesis. Uncoupling protein 2 (UCP2) reduces mitochondrial ROS generation and protects against the disease in animal models...
- Uncoupling protein 2 promoter polymorphism -866G/A affects peripheral nerve dysfunction in Japanese type 2 diabetic patientsHiroshi Yamasaki
The First Department of Medicine, Wakayama Medical University, Kimiidera 811 1, Wakayama 641 8509, Japan
Diabetes Care 29:888-94. 2006..To determine genetic predispositions for diabetic polyneuropathy, we investigated the relationship between the -866G/A polymorphism of uncoupling protein (UCP) 2 and neurological manifestations in 197 type 2 diabetic patients...
- Effects of rosiglitazone on global ischemia-induced hippocampal injury and expression of mitochondrial uncoupling protein 2Shang Der Chen
Department of Neurology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital Kaohsiung Medical Center, Chang Gung University College of Medicine, Taiwan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 351:198-203. 2006..with anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidative actions, on hippocampal injury and its roles in mitochondrial uncoupling protein 2 (UCP2) expression caused by transient global ischemia (TGI) in rats...
- Interaction between the uncoupling protein 2 -866G>A gene variant and cigarette smoking to increase oxidative stress in subjects with diabetesJeffrey W Stephens
Diabetes Research Group, The Medical School, Swansea University, Grove Building Swansea University, Swansea SA2 8PP, UK
Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 18:7-14. 2008..The aim of the current study was to test the hypothesis that this variant might interact with smoking (an environmental stress) to influence plasma markers of oxidative stress...
- The common -866G>A variant in the promoter of UCP2 is associated with decreased risk of coronary artery disease in type 2 diabetic menNadir Cheurfa
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Research Unit 695, Paris, France
Diabetes 57:1063-8. 2008b>Uncoupling protein 2 (UCP2) is a physiological downregulator of reactive oxygen species generation and plays an antiatherogenic role in the vascular wall...
- Uncoupling protein 2 polymorphisms as risk factors for NTDsAdam Mitchell
Molecular Pathogenesis Section, Genome Technology Branch, National Human Genome Research Institute, 50 South Drive, Bethesda, MD 20892 8004, USA
Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 85:156-60. 2009..b>Uncoupling Protein 2 (UCP2) is an attractive candidate to screen for NTD risk because of its possible role in obesity as well as ..
- Uncoupling protein-2: a novel gene linked to obesity and hyperinsulinemiaC Fleury
CNRS CEREMOD, Meudon, France
Nat Genet 15:269-72. 1997..Our findings suggest that UCP2 has a unique role in energy balance, body weight regulation and thermoregulation and their responses to inflammatory stimuli...
- The uncoupling protein homologues: UCP1, UCP2, UCP3, StUCP and AtUCPD Ricquier
Centre de Recherche sur l Endocrinologie Moléculaire et le Développement CEREMOD, Centre National de la recherche Scientifique CNRS Unit 9078, 9 rue Jules Hetzel, 92190 Meudon, France
Biochem J 345:161-79. 2000..Other aims will be to investigate the possible roles of UCP2 and UCP3 in response to oxidative stress, lipid peroxidation, inflammatory processes, fever and regulation of temperature in certain specific parts of the body...
- A common polymorphism in the promoter of UCP2 is associated with decreased risk of obesity in middle-aged humansH Esterbauer
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Landeskliniken Salzburg, Austria
Nat Genet 28:178-83. 2001..Despite its modest effect, but because of its high frequency (approximately 63%), the more-common risk allele conferred a relatively large population-attributable risk accounting for 15% of the obesity in the population studied...
- Superoxide activates mitochondrial uncoupling proteinsKarim S Echtay
Medical Research Council Dunn Human Nutrition Unit, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 2XY, UK
Nature 415:96-9. 2002..Our findings indicate that the interaction of superoxide with UCPs may be a mechanism for decreasing the concentrations of reactive oxygen species inside mitochondria...
- Glucose induces and leptin decreases expression of uncoupling protein-2 mRNA in human isletsJames E P Brown
Diabetes Research Group, Division of Biomedical Science, School of Applied Sciences, University of Wolverhampton, Wulfruna Street, WV1 1SB, Wolverhampton, UK
FEBS Lett 513:189-92. 2002..This is the first report of UCP-2 expression in human islets and provides novel evidence of its role in the loss of beta-cell function in diabetes...
- Lack of association between the uncoupling protein-2 Ala55Val gene polymorphism and phenotypic features of the Metabolic SyndromeRoland Rosmond
Department of Clinical Chemistry, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, S 413 45 Goteborg, Sweden
Biochim Biophys Acta 1588:103-5. 2002..From these data, we conclude that the C-->T substitution in exon 4 of the UCP2 gene does not contribute to the predisposition to be affected by the Metabolic Syndrome...
- A common polymorphism in the promoter of UCP2 contributes to the variation in insulin secretion in glucose-tolerant subjectsGiorgio Sesti
Dipartimento di Medicina Sperimentale e Clinica, Università di Catanzaro Magna Graecia, Via Tommaso Campanella, 115 11800 Catanzaro, Italy
Diabetes 52:1280-3. 2003..These results indicate that the common -866G/A polymorphism in the UCP2 gene may contribute to the biological variation of insulin secretion in humans...
- No evidence for involvement of the promoter polymorphism -866 G/A of the UCP2 gene in childhood-onset obesity in humansN Schäuble
Clinical Research Group, Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Philipps University of Marburg, Marburg, Germany
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 111:73-6. 2003..Allele and genotype frequencies did not differ between the extremely obese and never-obese subjects. In conclusion, we cannot confirm the results of ) in our young sample...
- Uncoupling protein-2 overexpression inhibits mitochondrial death pathway in cardiomyocytesYasushi Teshima
Institute of Molecular Cardiobiology, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Circ Res 93:192-200. 2003..Thus, overexpression of UCP2 attenuates ROS generation and prevents mitochondrial Ca2+ overload, revealing a novel mechanism of cardioprotection...
- A signalling role for 4-hydroxy-2-nonenal in regulation of mitochondrial uncouplingKarim S Echtay
MRC Dunn Human Nutrition Unit, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 2XY, UK
EMBO J 22:4103-10. 2003..Our findings indicate that hydroxynonenal is not merely toxic, but may be a biological signal to induce uncoupling through UCPs and ANT and thus decrease mitochondrial ROS production...
- Uncoupling protein-2 polymorphisms in type 2 diabetes, obesity, and insulin secretionHua Wang
Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System, Endocrinology 111J LR, 4300 West 7th Street, Little Rock, AR 72205, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 286:E1-7. 2004..However, the associated allele and the effects on gene expression are opposite to those reported previously...
- Mutational analysis of the UCP2 core promoter and relationships of variants with obesityLouise T Dalgaard
Steno Diabetes Center and Statens Serum Institute, 5 Artillerivej, Gentofte, DK 2300 Copenhagen, Denmark
Obes Res 11:1420-7. 2003To identify polymorphisms in the human uncoupling protein 2 gene (UCP2) promoter and to investigate whether these were associated with obesity or weight gain.
- Multifactor-dimensionality reduction shows a two-locus interaction associated with Type 2 diabetes mellitusY M Cho
Department of Internal Medicine, Seoul National University College of Medicine, 28 Yongon dong Chongno gu, 110 744, Seoul, Korea
Diabetologia 47:549-54. 2004..This study was done to identify gene to gene interactions which could be associated with the risk of Type 2 diabetes...
- Uncoupling protein 2 promoter polymorphism -866G/A affects its expression in beta-cells and modulates clinical profiles of Japanese type 2 diabetic patientsMiyoshi Sasahara
First Department of Medicine, Wakayama Medical University, Wakayama, Japan
Diabetes 53:482-5. 2004Common uncoupling protein 2 (UCP2) promoter polymorphism -866G/A is reported to be associated with its expression in adipose tissue and the risk of obesity in Caucasians...
- Cardiovascular risk in healthy men and markers of oxidative stress in diabetic men are associated with common variation in the gene for uncoupling protein 2Sukhbir S Dhamrait
Centre for Cardiovascular Genetics, British Heart Foundation Laboratories, Royal Free and University College London Medical School, Rayne Building, 5 University Street, London WC1E 6JF, UK
Eur Heart J 25:468-75. 2004Oxidative stress reduces total antioxidant status (TAOS) and is implicated in atherogenesis. Mitochondrial uncoupling protein 2 (UCP2) negatively regulates reactive oxygen species generation...
- Genetic variation in uncoupling protein 3 is associated with dietary intake and body composition in femalesColeen M Damcott
Department of Human Genetics, University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Metabolism 53:458-64. 2004..The lean mass model showed no statistically significant association with either UCP3 variant. These results support a role for UCP3 in fuel substrate management and energy metabolism, which may influence body weight regulation...
- A common polymorphism of uncoupling protein 2 gene is associated with hypertensionQuihe Ji
Department of Geriatric Medicine, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Suita, Osaka, Japan
J Hypertens 22:97-102. 2004..A functional polymorphism in the uncoupling protein 2 (UCP2) promoter has been reported to be associated with obesity in Caucasians...
- Putative role of polymorphisms in UCP1-3 genes for diabetic nephropathyEero Lindholm
Department of Endocrinology, University Hospital MAS, SE 205 02 Malmo, Sweden
J Diabetes Complications 18:103-7. 2004..4+/-4.2 vs. 25.3+/-4.3 kg/m(2); P=.01). We conclude that studied polymorphisms in the UCP1-3 genes do not play a major role in the development of micro- or macroalbuminuria in Scandinavian diabetic patients...
- The -866A/A genotype in the promoter of the human uncoupling protein 2 gene is associated with insulin resistance and increased risk of type 2 diabetesMonica D'Adamo
Laboratory of Molecular Medicine, University of Rome, Rome, Italy
Diabetes 53:1905-10. 2004..84, 95% CI 1.03-3.28; P = 0.037), but not in men. These results indicate that the -866A/A genotype of the UCP2 gene may contribute to diabetes susceptibility by affecting insulin sensitivity...
- Interactions between physical activity and variants of the genes encoding uncoupling proteins -2 and -3 in relation to body weight changes during a 10-y follow-upT Berentzen
Danish Epidemiology Science Centre at the Institute of Preventive Medicine, Copenhagen University Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
Int J Obes (Lond) 29:93-9. 2005....
- Effects of recombinant adenovirus-mediated uncoupling protein 2 overexpression on endothelial function and apoptosisKi Up Lee
University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Circ Res 96:1200-7. 2005..b>Uncoupling protein 2 (UCP2) is an important regulator of intracellular reactive oxygen species (ROS) production...
- Functional polymorphisms of UCP2 and UCP3 are associated with a reduced prevalence of diabetic neuropathy in patients with type 1 diabetesGottfried Rudofsky
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, University of Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 410, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Diabetes Care 29:89-94. 2006..We studied the association between polymorphisms in the UCP genes and diabetes complications in patients with type 1 diabetes...
- Variation in the UCP2-UCP3 gene cluster predicts the development of type 2 diabetes in healthy middle-aged menDavid R Gable
Centre for Cardiovascular Genetics, Royal Free and University College London Medical School, The Rayne Institute, 5 University Street, London WC1E 6JJ, U K
Diabetes 55:1504-11. 2006..Both effects are exacerbated by obesity...
- Uncoupling protein 2 promoter polymorphism -866G/A, central adiposity, and metabolic syndrome in AsiansHaiqing Shen
Nutrition and Genomics Laboratory, US Department of Agriculture Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging, Tufts University, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 14:656-61. 2006A polymorphism in the promoter region of uncoupling protein 2 gene -866G/A has been associated with its expression levels in adipose tissue, the risk of obesity, and metabolic abnormalities...
- Translation control of UCP2 synthesis by the upstream open reading frameC Hurtaud
BIOTRAM, CNRS UPR9078, Faculte de Medecine Necker Enfants Malades, Universite Rene Descartes, 75730 Paris, France
Cell Mol Life Sci 63:1780-9. 2006b>Uncoupling protein 2 (UCP2) belongs to a family of transporters of the mitochondrial inner membrane...
- Candidate gene genotypes, along with conventional risk factor assessment, improve estimation of coronary heart disease risk in healthy UK menSteve E Humphries
Centre for Cardiovascular Genetics, Department of Medicine, British Heart Foundation Laboratories, Royal Free and University College Medical School, London, United Kingdom
Clin Chem 53:8-16. 2007..We therefore investigated whether inclusion of a set of common variants in candidate genes along with conventional risk factor (CRF) assessment enhanced coronary heart disease (CHD)-risk algorithms...
- Mitochondrial uncoupling protein 2 gene transcript levels are elevated in maturating erythroid cellsPavel Flachs
Department of Adipose Tissue Biology, Institute of Physiology, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Videnska 1083, 142 20 Prague, Czech Republic
FEBS Lett 581:1093-7. 2007b>Mitochondrial uncoupling protein 2 (UCP2) is abundant in developing monocyte/macrophage cells and may affect hematopoiesis by reducing formation of reactive oxygen species...
- Plasma leptin levels are related to body composition, sex, insulin levels and the A55V polymorphism of the UCP2 geneK A Rance
Aberdeen Centre for Energy Regulation and Obesity ACERO, Rowett Research Institute, Bucksburn, Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
Int J Obes (Lond) 31:1311-8. 2007..We therefore wanted to determine the roles of variation in body composition, age, sex and polymorphisms of the UCP2 gene and promoter region on levels of circulating leptin...
- Uncoupling proteins 2 and 3 are fundamental for mitochondrial Ca2+ uniportMichael Trenker
Institute of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, Centre of Molecular Medicine, Medical University of Graz, Harrachgasse 21 III, 8010 Graz, Austria
Nat Cell Biol 9:445-52. 2007..Moreover, the identification of proteins fundemental for mitochondrial Ca(2+) uptake expands our knowledge of the physiological role for mitochondrial Ca(2+) sequestration...
- The modulating effects of the overexpression of uncoupling protein 2 on the formation of reactive oxygen species in vascular cellsHye Soon Kim
Department of Internal Medicine, Keimyung University School of Medicine, Daegu, Korea
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 77:S46-8. 2007b>Uncoupling protein 2 (UCP-2) is a newly identified member of the mitochondrial anion carrier family and shares 60% sequence identity with the well-characterized thermogenic UCP-1 from brown adipose tissue...
- UCP2 A55V variant is associated with obesity and related phenotypes in an aboriginal community in TaiwanT N Wang
Faculty of Public Health, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Int J Obes (Lond) 31:1746-52. 2007..The aim of this study was to analyze genetic associations of four polymorphisms of the UCP2 and UCP3 genes with insulin, leptin concentration and obesity in Taiwan aborigines...
- Association of UCP2 and UCP3 gene polymorphisms with serum high-density lipoprotein cholesterol among Korean womenMin Ho Cha
Department of Medical Research, Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine, Daejon 305 811, Korea
Metabolism 56:806-13. 2007..09% of the variation in serum HDL cholesterol levels independent of body mass index. We believe that our results may provide clues to the association of UCP genes with the risk of atherosclerosis through their effects on HDL cholesterol...
- Effects of genetic polymorphisms of UCP2 and UCP3 on very low calorie diet-induced body fat reduction in Korean female subjectsYoosik Yoon
Department of Microbiology, Medical School, Chung Ang University, Seoul 156 756, Republic of Korea
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 359:451-6. 2007..002 and 0.004; P(corr)=0.03 and 0.01, respectively), and these results suggested that UCP2-3 polymorphisms were important genetic factor for the VLCD-induced reduction of body fat mass...
- The common -866G/A polymorphism of the UCP2 gene in healthy Iranians compared with world populationsSeyed Mohammad Akrami
Endocrinology and Metabolism Research Center, Medical Sciences University of Tehran, Shariati Hospital, North Kargar St, Tehran 14114, Iran
Hum Biol 79:103-10. 2007b>Uncoupling protein 2 (UCP2) is a member of the mitochondrial transporter superfamily. It is proposed as a candidate gene for obesity...
- Association of ADRB1 and UCP3 gene polymorphisms with insulin sensitivity but not obesitySalim Mottagui-Tabar
Department of Molecular Medicine, National Public Health Institute, University of Helsinki, Biomedicum, Helsinki, Finland
Horm Res 69:31-6. 2008..Obesity is strongly hunted by insulin resistance and susceptibility genes for the two conditions could be separate or common. Variations within the UCPs and ADRBs genes may give important clues to their involvement in disease...
- Genetic variants in the UCP2-UCP3 gene cluster and risk of diabetes in the Women's Health Initiative Observational StudyYi Hsiang Hsu
Institute for Aging Research, Hebrew Senior Life and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Diabetes 57:1101-7. 2008..Genetic variants in the UCP2-UCP3 gene cluster, located on chromosome 11q13, may play a significant role in the development of type 2 diabetes...
- The UCP2-866 A/A genotype is associated with low density lipoprotein particle sizes in the general populationTaku Hamada
Division of Preventive Medicine and Diabetes Education, Clinical Research Institute for Endocrinology and Metabolic Disease, National Hospital Organization Kyoto Medical Center, Kyoto, Japan
Med Sci Monit 14:CR107-11. 2008..The purpose of this study was to investigate whether the UCP2-866 G/A SNP was associated with serum LDL particle characteristics in a general Japanese population...
- Association of the ins/del polymorphisms of uncoupling protein 2 (UCP2) with BMI in a Korean populationYong Hwan Lee
Department of Preventive Medicine and Institute of Natural Products for Health Promotion, Kosin Medical College, Busan 602 703, Republic of Korea
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 371:767-71. 2008..Our results suggest that subjects with a 45bp insertion allele of UCP2+3474 ins/del might have a higher risk of developing obesity, although the biological effects of this variant are not completely known...
- Lack of association between uncoupling protein-2 Ala55Val polymorphism and incident diabetes in the atherosclerosis risk in communities studySuzette J Bielinski
Division of Epidemiology and Community Health, University of Minnesota, 1300 South 2nd Street, Suite 300, Minneapolis, MN 55454, USA
Acta Diabetol 45:179-82. 2008..The Ala55Val polymorphism of UCP2 was not associated with incident T2DM in the ARIC cohort...
- The warburg effect in leukemia-stroma cocultures is mediated by mitochondrial uncoupling associated with uncoupling protein 2 activationIsmael Samudio
Department of Stem Cell Transplantation and Cellular Therapy, Section of Molecular Hematology and Therapy, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cancer Res 68:5198-205. 2008..was mediated by mitochondrial uncoupling in leukemia cells and was accompanied by increased expression of uncoupling protein 2 (UCP2)...
- Associations between polymorphisms in the mitochondrial uncoupling proteins (UCPs) with T2DMHye Ja Lee
Division of Metabolic Disease, Center for Biomedical Sciences, National Institute of Health, 5 Nokbun dong, Eunpyung Gu, Seoul, 122 701, Republic of Korea
Clin Chim Acta 398:27-33. 2008..We examined the effect of 23 single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in the UCP genes on type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) and related phenotypes to identify genetic factors that may be involved in susceptibility to T2DM...
- Association of UCP2 -866 G/A polymorphism with chronic inflammatory diseasesX Yu
Section of Immunogenetics, University of Rostock, Rostock 18055, Germany
Genes Immun 10:601-5. 2009..82-0.95), P=0.0008), with the -866A allele associated with a decreased risk to diseases. As the -866A allele increases gene expression, our findings suggest a protective role of the UCP2 protein in chronic inflammatory diseases...
- The polymorphisms of UCP2 and UCP3 genes associated with fat metabolism, obesity and diabetesJ J Jia
Yunnan Provincial Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition and Feed, Yunnan Agricultural University, Kunming, Yunnan Province, China
Obes Rev 10:519-26. 2009..This review summarizes data supporting the roles of UCP2 and UCP3 in energy dissipation, as well as the genetic variety association with fat metabolism, obesity and diabetes in humans...
- Association of common variants of UCP2 gene with low-grade inflammation in Swedish children and adolescents; the European Youth Heart StudyIdoia Labayen
Department of Nutrition and Food Sciences, University of the Basque Country, Vitoria 01006, Spain
Pediatr Res 66:350-4. 2009..Given the implication of complement factors on atherosclerosis process, these results contribute to explain the reduced cardiovascular risk associated with the A allele of the UCP2 -866G>A polymorphism...
- Effects of UCP2 -866 G/A and ADRB3 Trp64Arg on rosiglitazone response in Chinese patients with Type 2 diabetesMin Yang
Institute of Clinical Pharmacology, Hunan Key Laboratory of Pharmacogenetics, Central South University Xiang Ya School of Medicine, Changsha, Hunan, China
Br J Clin Pharmacol 68:14-22. 2009..The aim of this study was to explore the impact of UCP2 and ADRB3 genetic polymorphisms on the therapeutic efficacy of rosiglitazone in Chinese Type 2 diabetes (T2DM) patients...
- [Association between polymorphism in uncoupling proteins and type 2 diabetes in a northwestern Colombian population]Liliana Franco-Hincapié
Grupo de Genetica Molecular, Universidad de Antioquia, Medellin, Colombia
Biomedica 29:108-18. 2009..Although uncoupling protein function has not been well established, specific polymorphisms in these proteins have been associated with type 2 diabetes mellitus, obesity and insulin resistance...
- Association of telomere length with type 2 diabetes, oxidative stress and UCP2 gene variationKlelia D Salpea
Centre for Cardiovascular Genetics, Department of Medicine, British Heart Foundation Laboratories, Rayne Building, Royal Free and University College Medical School, 5 University Street, London, UK
Atherosclerosis 209:42-50. 2010....
- A common polymorphism in the promoter of UCP2 is associated with obesity and hyperinsulenemia in northern IndiansNeena Srivastava
Department of Physiology, Chatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Medical University, Lucknow, India
Mol Cell Biochem 337:293-8. 2010A polymorphism in the promoter region of uncoupling protein 2 gene -866 G/A has been associated with its expression levels, the risk of obesity, and metabolic abnormalities...
- Interaction between the UCP2 -866 G>A polymorphism, diabetes, and beta-blocker use among patients with acute coronary syndromesAmber L Beitelshees
Endocrinology, Diabetes and Nutrition Division, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Pharmacogenet Genomics 20:231-8. 2010..We assessed the function of -866G>A and its role as a modifier of beta-blocker treatment outcomes by diabetes status in an acute coronary syndrome (ACS) cohort...
- NAOMI MIRIAM HAMBURG; Fiscal Year: 2016....
- SECRETION FROM INDIVIDUAL VESICLESROBERT MARK WIGHTMAN; Fiscal Year: 2012..The first is uncoupling protein 2 (UCP2), a mitochondrial protein found within neurons that is a key regulator of adenosine triphospate (ATP) ..
- Kodi S Ravichandran; Fiscal Year: 2016..Additionally, these studies could point toward enhancing cell clearance as a potential therapeutic modality for certain pathologies of the urogenital tract. ..
- John F Keaney; Fiscal Year: 2016....
- Uncoupling Protein Polymorphisms and Cardiometabolic Responses to Beta-BlockersAmber L Beitelshees; Fiscal Year: 2012..By better understanding why some patients with diabetes respond more favorably to CV therapies than others, we may be able to more appropriately treat individual patients, thereby improving outcomes. (End of Abstract) ..
- AvanceIII 700MHz NMR spectrometer with cryogenic probeJames J Chou; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposed 700 MHz NMR spectrometer would provide us sufficient instrumentation to move the above studies forward, while maintaining the postdoctoral fellow positions involved in these projects;it has no environmental impact. ..
- MICHAEL L CAMILLERI; Fiscal Year: 2014....
- Rev-ERBa Regulates Mitochondrial Biogenesis, Adiposity, and Insulin ActionThomas H Reynolds; Fiscal Year: 2010..Consistent with an increase in mitochondrial biogenesis, uncoupling protein 2 and 3 (UCP2 and UCP3) are increased in mice treated with MnTBA porphyrin, a response that likely explains ..
- Paradoxical Roles of Reactive Oxygen Species in Pancreatic Beta-Cell FunctionJingbo Pi; Fiscal Year: 2009..His currently proposed and future studies will contribute new insights into the mechanisms of diabetes and hopefully advance preventive measures and treatment strategies for this disease. ..
- Transplantation of Reduced-Size Fatty LiversZhi Zhong; Fiscal Year: 2010..In Aim 3, effects of steatosis and graft volume on energy supply will be evaluated. Uncoupling protein 2, mitochondrial permeability transition and respiratory chain activity will be determined to elucidate the ..
- CELLULAR PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF ACUTE RENAL FAILUREJoel M Weinberg; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Mechanisms of In Vivo Ethanol-Induced Mitochondrial DepolarizationZhi Zhong; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Giovanni Manfredi; Fiscal Year: 2014..ii) boosting mitochondrial bioenergetics with expression of a mitochondrial soluble adenylyl cyclase that enhances oxidative phosphorylation, iii) mild mitochondrial uncoupling achieved with overexpression of uncoupling protein 2 (UCP2).
- Mitochondrial uncoupling in prevention of carcinogenesisYunfeng Zhao; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will induce mouse skin carcinogenesis by chemical carcinogens using uncoupling protein 2 knockout (ucp2 -/-) mice...
- Stanniocalcin-1, a novel anti-inflammatory proteinDavid Sheikh-Hamad; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Bradford B Lowell; Fiscal Year: 2016..These studies should provide new insight into neural mechanisms regulating glucose homeostasis and energy balance. ..
- Brain mast cells and Chronic Fatigue SyndromeTheoharis C Theoharides; Fiscal Year: 2013..We recently showed an inverse relationship between expression of the mitochondrial uncoupling protein 2 (UCP2), which also regulates production of reactive oxygen species (ROS) and cytosolic calcium, and ..
- Injury and Recovery in Developing BrainFlora M Vaccarino; Fiscal Year: 2013..factor receptor (EGFR), TrkB and its ligand Brain derived neurotropic growth factor (BDNF), the mitochondrial uncoupling protein 2 (UCP2) and the gut hormone ghrelin...
- Ghrelin and Traumatic Brain InjuryRongqian Wu; Fiscal Year: 2012..The relevance of this proposal to public health is to eventually use ghrelin in the treatment of patients with head injury. ..
- Regulatory Role of Growth Hormone Secretagogue ReceptorRoy G Smith; Fiscal Year: 2012..These studies have near-term clinical applications because of the availability of orally active long-acting ghrelin mimetics shown to be safe and well tolerated. ..
- Susceptibility of Primate Dopamine Neurons to Toxicity During DevelopmentJohn D Elsworth; Fiscal Year: 2012..The studies have direct relevance to the risk of acquiring Parkinson's disease and to the behavioral consequences of exposure to drugs of abuse during development. ..
- INTRACELLULAR GLYCATION AND DIABETIC COMPLICATIONSMichael Brownlee; Fiscal Year: 2006..Supershift experiments will use commercially available antibodies. IP-westerns of cell extracts will be immunoblotted with antibodies to glyoxalase I-substrate- derived advanced glycation endproducts. ..
- INTRACELLULAR GLYCATION AND DIABETIC COMPLICATIONSMichael Brownlee; Fiscal Year: 2007..Supershift experiments will use commercially availableantibodies. IP-westernsof cell extracts will be immunoblotted with antibodies to glyoxalase I-substrate-derived advanced glycationendproducts. ..
- CELLULAR PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF ACUTE RENAL FAILUREJoel Weinberg; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Function and regulation of cardiac uncoupling proteinsRaymond Russell; Fiscal Year: 2009..It is anticipated that the results of these studies will yield important insights into the role of UCPs in the clinically important disorders of myocardial ischemia/reperfusion and heart failure. ..
- Structure and Function of the Mitochondrial Uncoupling ProteinsJames Chou; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Does UCP2/3 Overexpression Mimic Caloric Restriction?Barbara Horwitz; Fiscal Year: 2005..e., that neither is critical to life extension). Our data will determine if greater expression of UCP2/3 mimics effects of CR and will increase our understanding of mechanisms that have potential to increase median and maximum life span. ..
- Mechanism Regulating Expression of the UCP2 GeneSheila Collins; Fiscal Year: 2005..In 1997, in collaboration with Daniel Ricquier, we reported the discovery of uncoupling protein 2 (UCP2), a homologue of the brown fat UCP with genetic linkage to hyperinsulinemia...
- THE GENETICS OF OBESITY IN BLACKSCharles Rotimi; Fiscal Year: 2003..Comparison to the genetically related sample in West Africa will provide an environmental contrast and help clarify the impact of European admixture at the loci of interest. ..
- MECHANISMS OF UCP REGULATION BY LEPTINThomas Gettys; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Genetic and Biochemical Predictors of Type 2 DM in WomenSimin Liu; Fiscal Year: 2006..Knowledge gained from this proposed study may suggest new intervention strategies to lower the incidence of type 2 DM in the general population. ..
- ION TRANSPORT MECHANISMS IN MITOCHONDRIAKeith Garlid; Fiscal Year: 1999..The project includes close collaboration with other laboratories in order to enable study of site-direct, spin-labeled derivatives of UCP by electron paramagnetic resonance spectroscopy. ..
- CARDIAC ENERGY METABOLISM IN HEART FAILUREWilliam Stanley; Fiscal Year: 2009..effects on cardiac output and mitochondria! energy production as a result of increased mitochondria! fatty acid oxidation can be reversed by administration of specific therapeutic agents inhibiting cardiac mitochondria! FA uptake ..
- Mechanism of Fat Induced Hepatic Insulin ResistanceVarman Samuel; Fiscal Year: 2006..Finally, with a novel method to directly measure gluconeogenesis, we will determine if hepatic fat accumulation increases hepatic gluconeogenesis...
- BIOENERGETICS AND ALCOHOLIC LIVER DISEASE PATHOGENESISAnna Mae Diehl; Fiscal Year: 2004..g., TNFalpha) that promote EtOH-hepatotoxicity; and 3) to determine if increased ROS production induces UCP2 and, thus, if inhibiting ROS by antioxidant therapy will prevent UCP2 induction, mitochondrial dysfunction, and liver damage. ..
- UCPs:Regulators of Intracelluar Energy HomeostasisBRADFORD LOWELL; Fiscal Year: 2006..Specific Aim 4: To determine the mechanism by which the obese state induces UCP2 expression in islets. These studies should provide major insights into the physiologic and pathophysiologic functions of UCP2 and 3. ..
- FUNCTION AND REGULATION OF UNCOUPLING PROTEINS 2 AND 3Keith Garlid; Fiscal Year: 2006..These studies will provide new understanding of the mechanisms of UCP2 and 3 function and regulation and will also resolve mechanistic questions that have been raised about these proteins. ..
- EFFECTS OF ALCOHOL RECOGNITION OF NEURAL STEM CELLSW Zawada; Fiscal Year: 2006..In this aim, we will stably overexpress in a regulatable fashion a mouse mitochondrial uncoupling protein 2 (UCP-2) in C17.2 cells to generate C17.UCP-2 cell line...
- Endothelial cell Ca2+ homoestasis and fatty acid effectsBin Xian Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2007..Furthermore, in this proposal I will also explore the role of the FFA activated, uncoupling protein 2 mediated mitochondrial proton transport, in FFA inhibition of GPCR induced Ca2+ signaling using gene ..
- Regulation of Novel Mitochondrial Uncoupling ProteinsKeith Garlid; Fiscal Year: 2004..provided by applicant) Recent evidence suggests that there is a link between enhanced expression of uncoupling protein 2 (UCP2) and development of type II diabetes...
- Stanniocalcin-1, a novel anti-inflammatory proteinDavid Sheikh Hamad; Fiscal Year: 2009..Available conventional therapies for inflammation are frequently associated with significant side effects, and our proposed experiments could lead to new therapeutic targets for suppressing inflammation. ..
- UCP5-- Balancing Metabolism and Oxidation in Aging BrainLAURA DUGAN; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Oxidative Stress Induces Apoptosis in Diabetic NeuronsJames Russell; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Development of Diabetic Cardiomyopathy in GLUT4 +/- MiceMAUREEN CHARRON; Fiscal Year: 2004..The latter studies will determine the mechanism of action of TZDs in the heart and may reveal novel therapeutic targets and applications. ..
- Role of uncoupling protein-2 in alcoholic cardiomyopathyJay Turner; Fiscal Year: 2008..of Pharm. and Physiol. Section 4 -- Appendix (3 collated sets. No page numbering necessary. Not to exceed 3 publications; 2 for predoctoral candidates.)  Check if Appendix is included ..
- A UCP2 transgenic model for glucose metabolism and agingYih Woei Fridell; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- CENTRAL PEPTIDERGIC CIRCUITS IN METABOLISM REGULATIONTamas Horvath; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Hypothalamic Type 2 Deiodinase in Metabolism RegulationSabrina Diano; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Uncoupling Protein 2 Promotes Neuronal SurvivalTamas Horvath; Fiscal Year: 2006DESCRIPTION (applicant's abstract): We have identified the existence of mitochondrial uncoupling protein 2 (UCP2) in homeostatic circuits of healthy rodents and non-human primates...
- GONADAL STEROID REGULATION OF THE BIOLOGICAL CLOCKTamas Horvath; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- IMPAIRED LEPTIN RESPONSIVENESS WITH AGEPHILIP SCARPACE; Fiscal Year: 2002..The potential for vitamin A supplementation to reverse the age-related increase in serum leptin and restore leptin responsiveness is addressed in this proposal. ..
- Uncoupling Proteins and Species-Dependent LongevityTamas Horvath; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our attempts to provide comparative analyses of age related molecular mechanisms in rodents and nonhuman primates, will provide novel therapeutic targets, UCPs, to increase longevity without compromising tissue function. ..
- Role of defective clearance of apoptotic beta-cell in pathogenesis of T1DZhongmin Ma; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Age-related Obesity: Interventions with Gene DeliveryPHILIP SCARPACE; Fiscal Year: 2006..Such discoveries may lead to new treatments for obesity and the diabetes associated with obesity. ..
- Mechanisms of neurodegeneration and brain iron accumulationZhongmin Alex Ma; Fiscal Year: 2010..In addition, the ARRA funding for this proj ct will preseve jobs, which will significantly contribute to the improvement of our local economy. ..
- Ghrelin in Hypothalamic Regulation of Energy BalanceTamas L Horvath; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposed studies will deliver new insights to metabolism regulation, likely revealing novel targets for obesity drug development. ..
- Learning and Memory in the Melanocortin SystemSabrina Diano; Fiscal Year: 2008..We have shown that arcuate nucleus NPY cells express mitochondria! uncoupling protein 2 (UCP2), the expression level and activity of which are regulated by thyroid hormones, T3 in particular...
- Leptin resistance: 1 mechanism underlying age-related obesityPHILIP SCARPACE; Fiscal Year: 2008..Such discoveries may lead to new treatments for obesity and the diabetes associated with obesity. ..
- The Function of Phospholipase A2 in Islet Beta-cellsZhongmin Ma; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Positional cloning of obesity genes from congenic miceCraig H Warden; Fiscal Year: 2010..The long term outcome is that we will identify at least one novel and strong and plausible obesity gene. ..
- Mitochondrial Protection Within Chronically Ischemic MyocardiumEdward O McFalls; Fiscal Year: 2010..Using this model, we propose that a class of drugs used in diabetic patients that has been associated with heart failure exacerbations, alters the mitochondrial energy production in a similar way. ..
- Hostility, Race, and Glucose MetabolismRichard Surwit; Fiscal Year: 2006..These studies will further our understanding of the differences in the etiology of diabetes in these ethnic groups and may help explain the racial disparity in this disease. ..
- DIFFERENTIAL RESPONSE TO CBT IN TYPE 1 & TYPE 2 DIABETESRichard Surwit; Fiscal Year: 2003..Changes in cortisol and self-care are predicted to impact blood glucose levels to a greater extent in type 1 diabetes because these individuals are metabolically more sensitive to any variation. ..
- Characterization of Sleep Mutants of DrososphilaChiara Cirelli; Fiscal Year: 2009..This research will help to identify the molecular mechanisms regulating the need for sleep and provide novel clues to its functions. ..
- UCP2 in the pathogenesis of steatohepatitisGYORGY BAFFY; Fiscal Year: 2005..Knowledge of the biochemical actions and genetic regulation of UCP2 in the liver will advance our understanding about the role of UCP2 and the pathophysiology of SH. ..
- Plasma protein synthesis and abundance in T1 diabetesK Sreekumaran Nair; Fiscal Year: 2008..These studies are anticipated to form the basis of more elaborate mechanistic studies in the future and hopefully will lead to alternative therapeutic approaches for T1 D. ..
- GENES CAUSING SPONTANEOUS OBESITYCraig Warden; Fiscal Year: 2002..6,7, and 1 loci include within their 90 percent confidence intervals, respectively, the obese, tubby, and uncoupling protein 2-genes...