Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: BAFF
Description: tumor necrosis factor (ligand) superfamily, member 13b
Alias: BAFF, BLyS, D8Ertd387e, TALL-1, TALL1, THANK, TNFSF20, Tnlg7a, zTNF4, tumor necrosis factor ligand superfamily member 13B, b cell-activating factor, tumor necrosis factor ligand 7a
- BAFF, APRIL and their receptors: structure, function and signalingClaudia Bossen
Biochemistry Department, University of Lausanne, Boveresses 155, CH 1066 Epalinges, Switzerland
Semin Immunol 18:263-75. 2006b>BAFF, APRIL and their receptors play important immunological roles, especially in the B cell arm of the immune system...
- Novel function of B cell-activating factor in the induction of IL-10-producing regulatory B cellsMin Yang
Department of Pathology and Center of Infection and Immunology, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
J Immunol 184:3321-5. 2010..B cell-activating factor (BAFF), a member of TNF family cytokines, is a key regulator for B cell maturation and function...
- B cell activation factor (BAFF) is a novel adipokine that links obesity and inflammationYu Hee Kim
School of Life and Food Sciences, Handong Global University, Pohang 791 708, Korea
Exp Mol Med 41:208-16. 2009B cell activation factor (BAFF) is a novel member of the TNF ligand superfamily, mainly produced by myeloid cells. BAFF has been shown to participate in B-cell survival and B- and T-cell maturation...
- Act1, a negative regulator in CD40- and BAFF-mediated B cell survivalYoucun Qian
Department of Immunology, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Immunity 21:575-87. 2004..Genetic deficiency in a novel adaptor molecule, Act1, for CD40 and BAFF results in a dramatic increase in peripheral B cells, which culminates in lymphadenopathy and splenomegaly, ..
- Homeostatic cell-cycle control by BLyS: Induction of cell-cycle entry but not G1/S transition in opposition to p18INK4c and p27Kip1Xiangao Huang
Department of Pathology and Graduate Program in Immunology and Microbial Pathogenesis, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 1300 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:17789-94. 2004..b>BLyS (BAFF), a cytokine essential for mature B cell development and survival, is thought to act mainly by attenuation of ..
- In vivo BLyS/BAFF neutralization ameliorates islet-directed autoimmunity in nonobese diabetic miceGhazal Zekavat
Department of Surgery, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Immunol 181:8133-44. 2008..In this study we hypothesized that in vivo neutralization of the B lymphocyte stimulator (BLyS/BAFF) may enhance the stringency of TR-->FO selection by increasing TR B cell competition for follicular entry ..
- BLyS inhibition eliminates primary B cells but leaves natural and acquired humoral immunity intactJean L Scholz
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6082, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:15517-22. 2008..antibody to determine whether preimmune versus antigen-experienced B cells differ in their requisites for BLyS, a cytokine that controls differentiation and survival...
- deltaBAFF, a splice isoform of BAFF, opposes full-length BAFF activity in vivo in transgenic mouse modelsAmanda L Gavin
Department of Immunology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
J Immunol 175:319-28. 2005DeltaBAFF is a novel splicing isoform of the regulator B cell-activating factor (BAFF, BLyS), a TNF family protein with powerful immunoregulatory effects...
- BAFF overexpression and accelerated glomerular disease in mice with an incomplete genetic predisposition to systemic lupus erythematosusWilliam Stohl
Division of Rheumatology, University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles 90033, USA
Arthritis Rheum 52:2080-91. 2005To determine whether overexpression of BAFF can accelerate the development of systemic lupus erythematosus-associated end-organ disease in hosts with an underlying autoimmune diathesis.
- Expression and function of TNF family member B cell-activating factor in the development of autoimmune arthritisMin Zhang
Department of Pathology, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong, The People s Republic of China
Int Immunol 17:1081-92. 2005B cell-activating factor (BAFF), a member of tumor necrosis factor family cytokines, has been shown to enhance the maturation and survival of peripheral B cells...
- Global T cell dysregulation in non-autoimmune-prone mice promotes rapid development of BAFF-independent, systemic lupus erythematosus-like autoimmunityWilliam Stohl
Department of Medicine, Division of Rheumatology, University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
J Immunol 181:833-41. 2008..Remarkably, superimposing genetic deficiency of BAFF (B cell-activating factor belonging to the TNF family) onto CD152 deficiency did not substantially attenuate ..
- BAFF regulates B cell survival by downregulating the BH3-only family member Bim via the ERK pathwayAndrew Craxton
Department of Microbiology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
J Exp Med 202:1363-74. 2005The B cell activating factor belonging to the tumor necrosis factor family (BAFF) is required for B cell survival and maturation. The mechanisms by which BAFF mediates B cell survival are less understood...
- Reactive oxygen species augment B-cell-activating factor expressionEun Yi Moon
Laboratory of Human Genomics, Korea Research Institute of Bioscience and Biotechnology, KRIBB, Taejeon 305 806, Korea
Free Radic Biol Med 40:2103-11. 2006B-cell-activating factor (BAFF) plays a role in mature B-cell generation and maintenance. Lipopolysaccharide (LPS) activates toll-like receptor 4 (TLR4)-dependent signal transduction and induces ROS production...
- Paucity of clinical disease despite serological autoimmunity and kidney pathology in lupus-prone New Zealand mixed 2328 mice deficient in BAFFChaim O Jacob
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastrointestinal and Liver Diseases, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, 2011 Zonal Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
J Immunol 177:2671-80. 2006Constitutive overexpression of B cell-activating factor belonging to the TNF family (BAFF) promotes development of systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), and treatment of SLE mice with BAFF antagonists ameliorates disease...
- Regulation of B-cell survival by BAFF-dependent PKCdelta-mediated nuclear signallingIngrid Mecklenbrauker
Laboratory of Lymphocyte Signaling, The Rockefeller University, New York, New York 10021, USA
Nature 431:456-61. 2004..We show that treatment of B cells with the potent B-cell survival factor BAFF ('B-cell-activating factor belonging to the TNF family') prevents nuclear accumulation of PKCdelta...
- Regulation of B cell self-tolerance by BAFFRobert Brink
Centenary Institute of Cancer Medicine and Cell Biology, Newtown, NSW, Australia
Semin Immunol 18:276-83. 2006..b>BAFF is required for mature B cell development and survival but causes B cell hyperplasia and autoimmunity when it is ..
- BLyS and B cell homeostasisRobert T Woodland
Department of Molecular Genetics and Microbiolgy, Immunology and Virology Program, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA 01655, USA
Semin Immunol 18:318-26. 2006..B cells survive in vivo because of active stimulation by the TNF superfamily ligand B lymphocyte stimulator (BLyS/BAFF)...
- Impact of the BAFF/BR3 axis on B cell survival, germinal center maintenance and antibody productionSusan L Kalled
Biogen Idec, Inc, 12 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
Semin Immunol 18:290-6. 2006..Identification of the B cell survival factor, BAFF, was a key discovery in understanding the survival mechanism for mature B cells in the periphery...
- The role of the BAFF/APRIL system on T cell functionFabienne Mackay
Department of Immunology and Inflammation, The Garvan Institute of Medical Research, Darlinghurst, NSW, Australia
Semin Immunol 18:284-9. 2006b>BAFF is a key factor controlling B cell survival and maturation and its over-expression promotes B cell-mediated autoimmune disorders and participates in the progression of B cell lymphomas...
- BAFF, a novel ligand of the tumor necrosis factor family, stimulates B cell growthP Schneider
Institute of Biochemistry, University of Lausanne, Switzerland
J Exp Med 189:1747-56. 1999..Here we describe a novel member of the TNF family, designated BAFF (for B cell activating factor belonging to the TNF family), which is expressed by T cells and dendritic cells...
- BAFF controls B cell metabolic fitness through a PKC beta- and Akt-dependent mechanismAlina Patke
Laboratory of Lymphocyte Signaling, The Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Exp Med 203:2551-62. 2006B cell life depends critically on the cytokine B cell-activating factor of the tumor necrosis factor family (BAFF). Lack of BAFF signaling leads to B cell death and immunodeficiency...
- BAFF and LPS cooperate to induce B cells to become susceptible to CD95/Fas-mediated cell deathEva V Acosta-Rodriguez
Immunology, Department of Clinical Biochemistry, School of Chemical Sciences, National University of Cordoba, Cordoba, Argentina
Eur J Immunol 37:990-1000. 2007..PAMP) activate B cells directly by binding to TLR and also indirectly by inducing APC to release cytokines such as BAFF that promote B cell survival...
- Cutting edge: the dependence of plasma cells and independence of memory B cells on BAFF and APRILMicah J Benson
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Dartmouth Medical School, The Norris Cotton Cancer Center, Lebanon, NH 03756, USA
J Immunol 180:3655-9. 2008..We report herein that long-lived B(MEM) cell survival and function are completely independent of BAFF (B cell-activating factor of the TNF family) or APRIL (a proliferation-inducing ligand)...
- BAFF and MyD88 signals promote a lupuslike disease independent of T cellsJoanna R Groom
Autoimmunity Research Unit, The Garvan Institute of Medical Research, Darlinghurst, NSW 2010, Australia
J Exp Med 204:1959-71. 2007..Transgenic (Tg) mice overexpressing the cytokine B cell-activating factor of the tumor necrosis factor family (BAFF) develop an autoimmune disorder similar to SLE and show impaired B cell tolerance and altered T cell ..
- TRAF2 and TRAF3 signal adapters act cooperatively to control the maturation and survival signals delivered to B cells by the BAFF receptorSandra Gardam
Garvan Institute of Medical Research, 384 Victoria St, Darlinghurst NSW 2010, Australia
Immunity 28:391-401. 2008..the absence of this suppressive activity, B cells developed independently of the obligatory B cell survival factor, BAFF (B cell-activating factor of the tumor necrosis factor family)...
- Characterization of a late transitional B cell population highly sensitive to BAFF-mediated homeostatic proliferationAlmut Meyer-Bahlburg
Department of Pediatrics, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
J Exp Med 205:155-68. 2008..subpopulation exhibits further augmentation in mitogenic responses and B cell-activating factor of the TNF family (BAFF) receptor expression...
- TACI, unlike BAFF-R, is solely activated by oligomeric BAFF and APRIL to support survival of activated B cells and plasmablastsClaudia Bossen
Department of Biochemistry, University of Lausanne, Epalinges, Switzerland
Blood 111:1004-12. 2008The cytokine BAFF binds to the receptors TACI, BCMA, and BAFF-R on B cells, whereas APRIL binds to TACI and BCMA only. The signaling properties of soluble trimeric BAFF (BAFF 3-mer) were compared with those of higher-order BAFF oligomers...
- BAFF/BLyS receptor 3 binds the B cell survival factor BAFF ligand through a discrete surface loop and promotes processing of NF-kappaB2Nobuhiko Kayagaki
Department of Molecular Oncology, Genentech, Inc, South San Francisco, CA 94080, USA
Immunity 17:515-24. 2002The TNF-like ligand BAFF/BLyS is a potent survival factor for B cells. It binds three receptors: TACI, BCMA, and BR3. We show that BR3 signaling promotes processing of the transcription factor NF-kappaB2/p100 to p52...
- Mice transgenic for BAFF develop lymphocytic disorders along with autoimmune manifestationsF Mackay
Department of Immunology, Inflammation and Cell Biology, Biogen, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02142, USA
J Exp Med 190:1697-710. 1999..b>BAFF, a new member of the TNF family, binds to B cells and costimulates their growth in vitro...
- TACI and BCMA are receptors for a TNF homologue implicated in B-cell autoimmune diseaseJ A Gross
Department of Immunology, ZymoGenetics, Seattle, Washington 98102, USA
Nature 404:995-9. 2000..b>zTNF4 (BLyS, BAFF, TALL-1, THANK) is a member of the tumour necrosis factor (TNF) ligand family that is a potent co-..
- TACI is a TRAF-interacting receptor for TALL-1, a tumor necrosis factor family member involved in B cell regulationX Z Xia
Department of Inflammation, Amgen, Thousand Oaks, California 91320 1799, USA
J Exp Med 192:137-43. 2000..The identification and characterization of the receptor for TALL-1 provides useful information for the development of a treatment for B cell-mediated autoimmune diseases such as systemic lupus erythematosus...
- APRIL and TALL-I and receptors BCMA and TACI: system for regulating humoral immunityG Yu
Department of Inflammation, Amgen Inc, One Amgen Center Drive, Thousand Oaks, CA 91320 1799, USA
Nat Immunol 1:252-6. 2000..maturation antigen) and TACI (transmembrane activator and CAML-interactor) and competes with TALL-I (also called BLyS or BAFF) for receptor binding...
- An essential role for BAFF in the normal development of B cells through a BCMA-independent pathwayB Schiemann
Biogen, 14 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
Science 293:2111-4. 2001The B cell activating factor BAFF (BlyS/TALL-1/zTNF4) is a tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-related ligand that promotes B cell survival and binds to three receptors (BCMA, TACI, and the recently described BAFF-R)...
- BAFF-R, a newly identified TNF receptor that specifically interacts with BAFFJ S Thompson
Biogen, 12 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA, The Institute of Biochemistry, University of Lausanne, CH 1066, Epalinges, Switzerland
Science 293:2108-11. 2001B cell homeostasis has been shown to critically depend on BAFF, the B cell activation factor from the tumor necrosis factor (TNF) family...
- Blockade of B-cell-activating factor signaling enhances hepatic steatosis induced by a high-fat diet and improves insulin sensitivityKeitarou Kawasaki
Department of Gastroenterology and Metabology, Ehime University Graduate School of Medicine, Ehime, Japan
Lab Invest 93:311-21. 2013..We previously showed that the serum level of B-cell-activating factor (BAFF) was increased in patients with nonalcoholic steatohepatitis...
- B-cell-activating factor is a regulator of adipokines and a possible mediator between adipocytes and macrophagesMi Young Kim
School of Life Sciences, Handong Global University, Pohang, Gyungbuk, Korea
Exp Mol Med 45:e4. 20133T3-L1 adipocytes express the B-cell-activating factor (BAFF) and three different BAFF receptors (BAFF-Rs). Furthermore, BAFF expression is regulated by inflammatory modulators, such as tumor necrosis factor-α and rosiglitazone...
- Association of BAFF/BLyS overexpression and altered B cell differentiation with Sjögren's syndromeJoanna Groom
The Garvan Institute of Medical Research, Department of Arthritis and Inflammation, Darlinghurst, NSW, Australia
J Clin Invest 109:59-68. 2002BAFF (BLyS, TALL-1, THANK, zTNF4) is a member of the TNF superfamily that specifically regulates B lymphocyte proliferation and survival...
- Cutting edge: BLyS enables survival of transitional and mature B cells through distinct mediatorsBenjamin L Hsu
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Immunol 168:5993-6. 2002These studies characterize BLyS responsiveness and receptor expression among transitional and mature peripheral B cells...
- BAFF-induced NEMO-independent processing of NF-kappa B2 in maturing B cellsEstefania Claudio
Laboratory of Immunoregulation, National Institutes of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 1876, USA
Nat Immunol 3:958-65. 2002..We show here that B cell-activating factor (BAFF) activates this second pathway and that this requires the BAFF receptor (BAFF-R), the NF-kappa B-inducing kinase (..
- BAFF receptor deficiency reduces the development of atherosclerosis in mice--brief reportAndrew P Sage
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Cambridge, Addenbrooke s Hospital, UK
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 32:1573-6. 2012The goal of this study was to assess the role of B-cell activating factor (BAFF) receptor in B-cell regulation of atherosclerosis.
- Cutting edge: germinal centers formed in the absence of B cell-activating factor belonging to the TNF family exhibit impaired maturation and functionKalpit A Vora
Department of Immunology and Inflammation, Biogen, Inc, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
J Immunol 171:547-51. 2003..B cell-activating factor belonging to the TNF family (BAFF) is a fundamental B cell survival factor and therefore may influence GC reactions and subsequent Ab responses...
- Mutation of the BAFF furin cleavage site impairs B-cell homeostasis and antibody responsesClaudia Bossen
Department of Biochemistry, University of Lausanne, Epalinges, Switzerland
Eur J Immunol 41:787-97. 2011B-cell-activating factor of the TNF family (BAFF)/BLyS contributes to B-cell homeostasis and function in the periphery...
- Regulation of the B cell receptor repertoire and self-reactivity by BAFFMiyo Ota
Department of Immunology and Microbial Science, Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
J Immunol 185:4128-36. 2010The TNF-family cytokine BAFF (BLyS) promotes B lymphocyte survival and is overexpressed in individuals with systemic lupus erythematosus and Sjögren's Syndrome...
- Normal B cell homeostasis requires B cell activation factor production by radiation-resistant cellsLeonid Gorelik
Biogen Inc, 14 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
J Exp Med 198:937-45. 2003The cellular source of B cell activation factor (BAFF) required for peripheral B cell survival/maturation is unknown...
- Normal induction but attenuated progression of germinal center responses in BAFF and BAFF-R signaling-deficient miceZiaur S M Rahman
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, and the Kimmel Cancer Center, Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, PA 19017 5541, USA
J Exp Med 198:1157-69. 2003..studies have defined a crucial role for the B cell-activating factor belonging to TNF family (BAFF; also called BLyS) in promoting primary B cell survival and development...
- Cutting edge: BAFF regulates CD21/35 and CD23 expression independent of its B cell survival functionLeonid Gorelik
Department of Immunology and Inflammation, Biogen Idec Inc, 12 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
J Immunol 172:762-6. 2004Herein we demonstrate that B cell-activating factor of the TNF family (BAFF), a B cell survival factor, also regulates CD21/35 and CD23 expression...
- Myeloid cells, BAFF, and IFN-gamma establish an inflammatory loop that exacerbates autoimmunity in Lyn-deficient micePatrizia Scapini
Department of Laboratory Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
J Exp Med 207:1757-73. 2010..Autoimmunity is also associated with increased levels of B cell-activating factor of the TNF family (BAFF; also known as B lymphocyte stimulator), a cytokine that promotes survival of self-reactive B cell clones...
- Intracerebral expression of CXCL13 and BAFF is accompanied by formation of lymphoid follicle-like structures in the meninges of mice with relapsing experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitisRoberta Magliozzi
Neurophysiology Unit, Laboratory Organ, System Pathophysiology, Department of Cell Biology and Neuroscience, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Viale Regina Elena 299, 00161 Roma, Italy
J Neuroimmunol 148:11-23. 2004..we find that gene expression of CXCL13, a chemokine involved in B-cell recruitment into lymphoid follicles, and BAFF, a key regulator of B-cell survival, is markedly and persistently upregulated in the CNS of mice with relapsing-..
- Reduced competitiveness of autoantigen-engaged B cells due to increased dependence on BAFFRobin Lesley
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 USA
Immunity 20:441-53. 2004..Here we demonstrate that autoantigen binding B cells have increased dependence on BAFF for survival...
- Peripheral B cell tolerance and function in transgenic mice expressing an IgD superantigenBao Hoa Duong
Department of Immunology and Microbial Science, Kellogg School of Science and Technology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
J Immunol 184:4143-58. 2010..halted at the transitional B cell population 1 to 2 stage, a block that could not be rescued by either Bcl-2 or BAFF overexpression...
- B cell-activating factor belonging to the TNF family (BAFF)-R is the principal BAFF receptor facilitating BAFF costimulation of circulating T and B cellsLai Guan Ng
Arthritis and Asthma Research Program, The Garvan Institute of Medical Research, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
J Immunol 173:807-17. 2004b>BAFF (B cell-activating factor belonging to the TNF family) is a cell survival and maturation factor for B cells, and overproduction of BAFF is associated with systemic autoimmune disease...
- B cell-activating factor belonging to the TNF family acts through separate receptors to support B cell survival and T cell-independent antibody formationSvetlana Shulga-Morskaya
Biogen Idec, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
J Immunol 173:2331-41. 2004The TNF-related ligand, B cell-activating factor belonging to the TNF family (BAFF), is necessary for normal B cell development and survival, and specifically binds the receptors transmembrane activator and calcium-modulator and ..
- BAFF induces a hyper-IgA syndrome in the intestinal lamina propria concomitant with IgA deposition in the kidney independent of LIGHTDouglas D McCarthy
Department of Immunology, University of Toronto, 1 King s College Circle, Toronto, Ont, Canada M5S 1A8
Cell Immunol 241:85-94. 2006b>BAFF is a peripheral B cell survival factor and can mediate antibody (Ab) class switching...
- TACI-Ig neutralizes molecules critical for B cell development and autoimmune disease. impaired B cell maturation in mice lacking BLySJ A Gross
Department of Immunology, 1201 Eastlake Avenue East, Seattle, WA 98102, USA
Immunity 15:289-302. 2001b>BLyS and APRIL have similar but distinct biological roles, mediated through two known TNF receptor family members, TACI and BCMA...
- BAFF augments certain Th1-associated inflammatory responsesAndrew P R Sutherland
Arthritis and Asthma Research Program, Garvan Institute of Medical Research, Sydney, Australia
J Immunol 174:5537-44. 2005B cell-activating factor belonging to the TNF family (BAFF; BLyS) is a critical regulator of B cell maturation and survival, and its overexpression in BAFF transgenic (Tg) mice results in the development of autoimmune disorders...
- Excess BAFF rescues self-reactive B cells from peripheral deletion and allows them to enter forbidden follicular and marginal zone nichesMarilyn Thien
Centenary Institute of Cancer Medicine and Cell Biology, Locked Bag Number 6, Newtown, New South Wales 2042, Australia
Immunity 20:785-98. 2004The role of BAFF in B cell self tolerance was examined by tracking the fate of anti-HEL self-reactive B cells in BAFF transgenic mice using four different models of self-reactive B cell deletion...
- BAFF binding to T cell-expressed BAFF-R costimulates T cell proliferation and alloresponsesQunrui Ye
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Joseph Stokes Jr Research Institute and Biesecker Pediatric Liver Center, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia and the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Eur J Immunol 34:2750-9. 2004Binding of the TNF family member, B cell activating factor (BAFF), to its receptor (BAFF-R, TNFRSF13C) is required for generation and maintenance of mature B cells, but there are no data as to any role for the BAFF/BAFF-R pathway in T ..
- NF-kappa B1 p50 is required for BLyS attenuation of apoptosis but dispensable for processing of NF-kappa B2 p100 to p52 in quiescent mature B cellsEunice N Hatada
Department of Pathology, Cornell Rockefeller University Sloan Kettering Institute Tri Institutional MD PhD Program, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY, 10021, USA
J Immunol 171:761-8. 2003B lymphocyte stimulator (BLyS), a TNF family protein essential for peripheral B cell development, functions primarily through attenuation of B cell apoptosis...
- Activation of LXR attenuates collagen-induced arthritis via suppressing BLyS productionYan Huang
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, College of Basic Medical Sciences, Third Military Medical University, Chongqing 400038, China Cancer Center, Daping Hospital and Research Institute of Surgery, Third Military Medical University, Chongqing 400042, China
Clin Immunol 161:339-47. 2015B-lymphocyte stimulator (BLyS) plays a critical role in the pathogenesis and progression of rheumatoid arthritis (RA). Liver X receptor (LXR), a nuclear receptor, has an important anti-inflammatory effect...
- Susceptibility to experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis is associated with altered B-cell subsets distribution and decreased serum BAFF levelsCatalina Lee-Chang
Pôle d Immunologie EA2686, CHRU de Lille, Université de Lille Nord de France, France
Immunol Lett 135:108-17. 2011..These observations were associated with a distortion of the BAFF response...
- Malaria infection alters the expression of B-cell activating factor resulting in diminished memory antibody responses and survivalXue Q Liu
The Queensland Institute of Medical Research, The Bancroft Centre, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Eur J Immunol 42:3291-301. 2012..that malarial infections result in a decrease in the proportion of DCs that express the B-cell survival factor, BAFF, resulting in a decreased ability of these DCs to support memory B-cell differentiation into antibody secreting ..
- Dispensability of APRIL to the development of systemic lupus erythematosus in NZM 2328 miceChaim O Jacob
University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, USA
Arthritis Rheum 64:1610-9. 2012..To determine the role of APRIL in the development of systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) in mice...
- BAFF-R expression correlates with positive selection of immature B cellsRoxane Tussiwand
Department of Biomedicine, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Eur J Immunol 42:206-16. 2012The interaction between BAFF and BAFF-R is crucial for the development of mature B cells...
- BAFF activates Akt and Erk through BAFF-R in an IKK1-dependent manner in primary mouse B cellsKevin L Otipoby
Immune Disease Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:12435-8. 2008b>B cell activating factor (BAFF) signals through BAFF-R to promote mature B cell survival...
- FcgammaRIIB signals inhibit BLyS signaling and BCR-mediated BLyS receptor up-regulationJenni E Crowley
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Blood 113:1464-73. 2009These studies investigate how interactions between the BCR and FcgammaRIIB affect B lymphocyte stimulator (BLyS) recep-tor expression and signaling...
- AIRE regulates T-cell-independent B-cell responses through BAFFEmma Lindh
Clinical Allergy Research Unit, Department of Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:18466-71. 2008..We linked this exaggerated response to the elevated serum levels of the B-cell-activating factor of the TNF family (BAFF) that were found both in APS I patients and in Aire(-/-) mice...
- APRIL is critical for plasmablast survival in the bone marrow and poorly expressed by early-life bone marrow stromal cellsElodie Belnoue
World Health Organization Collaborating Center for Vaccinology and Neonatal Immunology, Departments of Pathology Immunology and Pediatrics, University of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Blood 111:2755-64. 2008..Using a proliferation-inducing ligand (APRIL)- and B-cell activating factor (BAFF) B-lymphocyte stimulator (BLyS)-deficient mice, we demonstrate here that APRIL is a critical factor for the ..
- Deregulation of c-Myc Confers distinct survival requirements for memory B cells, plasma cells, and their progenitorsSefat E Khuda
Department of Microbiology, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
J Immunol 181:7537-49. 2008..c-Myc triggered apoptosis only upon final maturation when Ab is secreted and is resistant to the survival factor BAFF (B cell-activating factor belonging to the TNF family)...
- BAFF antagonist attenuates the development of skin fibrosis in tight-skin miceTakashi Matsushita
Department of Dermatology, Kanazawa University Graduate School of Medical Science, Kanazawa, Japan
J Invest Dermatol 127:2772-80. 2007..demonstrated in TSK/+ mice, the roles of B-cell-activating factor belonging to the tumor necrosis factor family (BAFF), a potent B-cell survival factor, have not been investigated...
- Macrophage-derived BAFF induces AID expression through the p38MAPK/CREB and JNK/AP-1 pathwaysHyun A Kim
Institute of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Kangwon National University, Chuncheon 200 701, Republic of Korea
J Leukoc Biol 89:393-8. 2011b>BAFF is expressed primarily by macrophages and DCs. BAFF stimulates the differentiation and survival of B cells and induces Ig production...
- B-cell activating factor and v-Myc myelocytomatosis viral oncogene homolog (c-Myc) influence progression of chronic lymphocytic leukemiaWeizhou Zhang
Laboratory of Gene Regulation and Signal Transduction, Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Moores Cancer Center, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:18956-60. 2010..We found that male progeny of iMyc(Cα) mice mated with mice transgenic (Tg) for CD257 (B-cell activating factor, BAFF) developed CD5(+) B-cell leukemia resembling human chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL), which also displays a male ..
- In vitro and in vivo activation induces BAFF and APRIL expression in B cellsVan Trung Chu
Deutsches Rheuma ForschungsZentrum, Berlin, Germany
J Immunol 179:5947-57. 2007B cell-activating factor (BAFF) and a proliferation-inducing ligand (APRIL) play key roles in peripheral B cell survival, maturation, and differentiation...
- Bruton's tyrosine kinase mediates NF-kappa B activation and B cell survival by B cell-activating factor receptor of the TNF-R familyNicholas P Shinners
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN 37232 0146, USA
J Immunol 179:3872-80. 2007..In this study we show that Btk also couples the receptor for B cell-activating factor (BAFF) of the TNF family (BAFF-R) to the NF-kappaB pathway...
- DeltaBAFF, an alternate splice isoform that regulates receptor binding and biopresentation of the B cell survival cytokine, BAFFAmanda L Gavin
Department of Immunology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Biol Chem 278:38220-8. 2003The tumor necrosis family member BAFF is limiting for the survival of follicular B lymphocytes, but excessive BAFF signaling can lead to autoimmunity, suggesting that its activity must be tightly regulated...
- Extracellular proteinase inhibitor-accelerated apoptosis is associated with B cell activating factor in mammary epithelial cellsDae Jun Jung
Department of Applied Bioscience and Biotechnology, Biotechnology Research Institute, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Chonnam National University, Gwangju 500 757, South Korea
Exp Cell Res 292:115-22. 2004..demonstrated that overexpression of the Expi gene induced expression of several genes, which included B cell activating factor (BAFF), Bax, cytochrome c, caspase-9, caspase-3, caspase-6, and CIDE-A...
- CD4(+)CD25(+) T-cells control autoimmunity in the absence of B-cellsEliana Marino
Immunology and Inflammation Program, Garvan Institute of Medical Research, Darlinghurst, NSW, Australia
Diabetes 58:1568-77. 2009Tumor necrosis factor ligand family members B-cell-activating factor (BAFF) and a proliferation-inducing ligand (APRIL) can exert powerful effects on B-cell activation and development, type 1 T-helper cell (Th1) immune responses, and ..
- Mechanism of BLyS action in B cell immunityRichard Kinh Gian Do
Department of Pathology, Room C 338, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 1300 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
Cytokine Growth Factor Rev 13:19-25. 2002The B lymphocyte stimulator (BLyS), also known as BAFF, THANK, TALL-1 and zTNF4, is the most recent addition to the tumor necrosis factor family (TNF) ligands and has a unique role in B cell immunity...
- Dendritic cells, BAFF, and APRIL: innate players in adaptive antibody responsesIan Maclennan
MRC Centre for Immune Regulation, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, United Kingdom
Immunity 17:235-8. 2002..Dendritic cell-derived TNF-family ligands APRIL and/or BAFF enhance plasmablast survival and differentiation to plasma cells...
- Differential requirement of MALT1 for BAFF-induced outcomes in B cell subsetsMichael W Tusche
Department of Immunology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A8, Canada
J Exp Med 206:2671-83. 2009B cell activation factor of the TNF family (BAFF) activates noncanonical nuclear factor kappaB (NF-kappaB) heterodimers that promote B cell survival...
- Identification of BLyS (B lymphocyte stimulator), a non-myelin-associated protein, as a functional ligand for Nogo-66 receptorLei Zhang
Laboratory of Molecular and Developmental Biology, Institute of Genetics and Developmental Biology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100101, China
J Neurosci 29:6348-52. 2009B lymphocyte stimulator (BLyS), a tumor necrosis factor family protein essential for B cell development, was previously shown to be expressed at an elevated level in the CNS of multiple sclerosis patients...
- Functional implication of BAFF synthesis and release in gangliosides-stimulated microgliaKwang Soo Kim
Department of Pharmacology, Ajou University School of Medicine, Suwon, Korea
J Leukoc Biol 86:349-59. 2009b>BAFF is a recently identified member of the TNF ligand superfamily that plays a critical role in B cell differentiation, survival, and regulation of Ig production...
- B-cell responses to B-cell activation factor of the TNF family (BAFF) are impaired in the absence of PI3K deltaThomas Henley
Laboratory of Lymphocyte Signalling and Development, The Babraham Institute, Cambridge, UK
Eur J Immunol 38:3543-8. 2008B-cell activating factor of the TNF family (BAFF) is critical for the survival and maturation of B cells. The molecular mechanisms by which BAFF regulates the survival of developing B cells are becoming better understood...
- Identification of proteoglycans as the APRIL-specific binding partnersKarine Ingold
Department of Biochemistry, University of Lausanne, CH 1066 Epalinges, Switzerland
J Exp Med 201:1375-83. 2005b>B cell activating factor of the tumor necrosis factor (TNF) family (BAFF) and a proliferation-inducing ligand (APRIL) are closely related ligands within the TNF superfamily that play important roles in B lymphocyte biology...
- A novel bioassay for B-cell activating factor (BAFF) based on expression of a BAFF-receptor ectodomain-tumour necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) receptor-2 endodomain fusion receptor in human rhabdomyosarcoma cellsMichelle McClements
Cytokine and Growth Factor Section, Biotherapeutics Group, National Institute for Biological Standards and Control, Blanche Lane, South Mimms, Herts, UK
J Immunol Methods 337:63-70. 2008B-cell activating factor (BAFF) is a type II transmembrane glycoprotein belonging to the tumour necrosis factor ligand superfamily...
- Deficiency of Act1, a critical modulator of B cell function, leads to development of Sjögren's syndromeYoucun Qian
Institute of Health Sciences, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences and Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, China
Eur J Immunol 38:2219-28. 2008CD40L and B lymphocyte-activating factor (BAFF), members of the TNF superfamily, play critical roles in B cell survival and activation, and in the regulation of humoral immunity...
- Novel function of TNF cytokines in regulating bone marrow B cell survivalMin Zhang
Department of Pathology, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Cell Mol Immunol 1:447-53. 2004Two newly identified tumor necrosis factor (TNF) family cytokines, B cell activation factor from the TNF family (BAFF) and a proliferation-inducing ligand (APRIL), have recently been shown to enhance the maturation and survival of ..
- Differential role of peroxiredoxin II (PrxII) on the expression of toll-like receptor 4 (TLR4) and B-cell activating factor (BAFF) in ovalbumin (OVA)-induced mouse asthmaEun Yi Moon
Department of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Sejong University, Seoul 143 747, Republic of Korea
Int Immunopharmacol 8:935-44. 2008..Here, we investigated the role of PrxII on toll-like receptor 4 (TLR4) and B-cell activating factor (BAFF) expression in ovalbumin (OVA)-induced mouse asthma...
- Multiple signaling pathways promote B lymphocyte stimulator dependent B-cell growth and survivalRobert T Woodland
Department of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester 01655, USA
Blood 111:750-60. 2008We investigated the mechanism by which B lymphocyte stimulator (BLyS)/BAFF, a tumor necrosis factor superfamily ligand, promotes B-cell survival and resistance to atrophy...
- Does the BAFF dysregulation play a major role in the pathogenesis of systemic lupus erythematosus?Aymeric Binard
Laboratory of Immunology, Brest University Medical School Hospital, Brest, France Unit of Rheumatology, Brest, University Medical School Hospital, Brest, France
J Autoimmun 30:63-7. 2008..erythematosus, it is not surprising that the B cell activity factor belonging to the tumor necrosis factor family (BAFF) is involved in its pathogenesis...
- [B lymphocyte stimulator (BLyS) and monocytes: possible role in autoimmune diseases with a particular reference to rheumatoid arthritis]L Quartuccio
Clinica di Reumatologia, Universita Degli Studi di Udine
Reumatismo 56:143-6. 2004Recently, a new member of the TNF family, BLyS, was identified. This protein, synthesized by myeloid cell lines, specifically interacts with B lymphocytes and increases their life-span...
- TACI-Ig prevents the development of airway hyperresponsiveness in a murine model of asthmaJ Bilsborough
Department of Autoimmunity and Inflammation, ZymoGenetics Inc, Seattle, WA 98102, USA
Clin Exp Allergy 38:1959-68. 2008..IgE depletion using an anti-IgE monoclonal antibody has met with success in the treatment of moderate-to-severe and severe persistent allergic asthma...
- The vital role of BAFF in the development of SLEWilliam Stohl; Fiscal Year: 2010The underlying premise of this proposal is that increased in vivo production of B cell activating factor belonging to the TNF family (BAFF), a vital B cell survival and costimulatory factor, is an important and central contributor to ..
- Human B cell homeostasis in a new transgenic xenochimeraRobert Woodland; Fiscal Year: 2005..survival are completely dependent on the newly described B cell stimulator (BLyS), also known as BAFF, TALL and THANK. Because peripheral B cell maturation ceased in the chimeras at a BlyS dependent checkpoint, we hypothesized ..
- IMMUNODEFICIENCIES THAT IMPAIR LYMPHOCYTE SURVIVALRobert Woodland; Fiscal Year: 2009..New results show B cell HP absolutely requires BLyS (B lymphocyte stimulator) as a costimulator that induces the biochemical changes necessary to support B cell growth ..
- Baff a novel isoform of the TNF family protein BAFFAmanda Gavin; Fiscal Year: 2005..DeltaBAFF is a novel splicing isoform of the B cell regulator BAFF, a TNF-family protein with powerful immunoregulatory effects...