Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Calb1
Description: calbindin 1
Alias: Brain-2, Calb, Calb-1, calbindin, CalbindinD28K, D-28K, PCD-29, calbindin 1, 28kDa, calbindin D28, calbindin-28K, calbindin-D (28k), spot 35 protein, vitamin D-dependent calcium-binding protein, avian-type
- Murga M, Bunting S, Montaña M, Soria R, Mulero F, Canamero M, et al. A mouse model of ATR-Seckel shows embryonic replicative stress and accelerated aging. Nat Genet. 2009;41:891-8 pubmed publisher....
- Barber M, di Meglio T, Andrews W, Hernández Miranda L, Murakami F, Chedotal A, et al. The role of Robo3 in the development of cortical interneurons. Cereb Cortex. 2009;19 Suppl 1:i22-31 pubmed publisher..These observations and the results of other recent studies suggest a complex interplay between the 3 Robo receptors in regulating the number, migration and morphological differentiation of cortical interneurons. ..
- Cocas L, Miyoshi G, Carney R, Sousa V, Hirata T, Jones K, et al. Emx1-lineage progenitors differentially contribute to neural diversity in the striatum and amygdala. J Neurosci. 2009;29:15933-46 pubmed publisher..Thus, both the timing of neurogenesis and differential combinatorial gene expression appear to be key determinants of striatal versus amygdala fate decisions of Emx1-lineage cells. ..
- Pascual M, Abasolo I, Mingorance Le Meur A, MARTINEZ A, Del Río J, Wright C, et al. Cerebellar GABAergic progenitors adopt an external granule cell-like phenotype in the absence of Ptf1a transcription factor expression. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:5193-8 pubmed..Moreover, our results suggest that Ptf1a is also required for the suppression of the granule cell specification program in cerebellar ventricular zone precursors. ..
- Jung E, An B, Choi K, Jeung E. Apoptosis- and endoplasmic reticulum stress-related genes were regulated by estrogen and progesterone in the uteri of calbindin-D(9k) and -D(28k) knockout mice. J Cell Biochem. 2012;113:194-203 pubmed publisherCalcium (Ca(2+)) is an important regulator of apoptotic signaling. Calbindin-D(9k) (CaBP-9k) and -D(28k) (CaBP-28k) have a high affinity for Ca(2+) ions...
- Karalay O, Doberauer K, Vadodaria K, Knobloch M, Berti L, Miquelajauregui A, et al. Prospero-related homeobox 1 gene (Prox1) is regulated by canonical Wnt signaling and has a stage-specific role in adult hippocampal neurogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:5807-12 pubmed publisher....
- Hori K, Cholewa Waclaw J, Nakada Y, Glasgow S, Masui T, Henke R, et al. A nonclassical bHLH Rbpj transcription factor complex is required for specification of GABAergic neurons independent of Notch signaling. Genes Dev. 2008;22:166-78 pubmed publisher....
- Ross S, Mardinly A, McCord A, Zurawski J, Cohen S, Jung C, et al. Loss of inhibitory interneurons in the dorsal spinal cord and elevated itch in Bhlhb5 mutant mice. Neuron. 2010;65:886-98 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that Bhlhb5 is required for the survival of a specific population of inhibitory interneurons that regulate pruritus, and provide evidence that the loss of inhibitory synaptic input results in abnormal itch. ..
- Meyer K, Morris J. Immunohistochemical analysis of Disc1 expression in the developing and adult hippocampus. Gene Expr Patterns. 2008;8:494-501 pubmed publisher..Our results are the first report of a detailed immunohistochemical analysis of the ontogeny of Disc1 expression within the hippocampus. ..
- Sharma R, Netland P. Early born lineage of retinal neurons express class III beta-tubulin isotype. Brain Res. 2007;1176:11-7 pubmed....
- Feng L, Cooper J. Dual functions of Dab1 during brain development. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:324-32 pubmed publisher..These results show that Reelin-induced Akt stimulation and Dab1 turnover are not sufficient for normal development and suggest that Dab1 acts both as a kinase switch and as a scaffold for assembling signaling complexes in vivo. ..
- Kohwi M, Petryniak M, Long J, Ekker M, Obata K, Yanagawa Y, et al. A subpopulation of olfactory bulb GABAergic interneurons is derived from Emx1- and Dlx5/6-expressing progenitors. J Neurosci. 2007;27:6878-91 pubmed..We show that calretinin+, calbindin+, and dopaminergic (TH+) periglomerular OB interneurons correspond to distinct subtypes of GABAergic cells; all ..
- Farré Castany M, Schwaller B, Gregory P, Barski J, Mariethoz C, Eriksson J, et al. Differences in locomotor behavior revealed in mice deficient for the calcium-binding proteins parvalbumin, calbindin D-28k or both. Behav Brain Res. 2007;178:250-61 pubmedWe investigated the role of the two calcium-binding proteins parvalbumin (PV) and calbindin D-28k (CB) in the locomotor activity and motor coordination using null-mutant mice for PV (PV-/-), CB (CB-/-) or both proteins (PV-/-CB-/-)...
- Meechan D, Tucker E, Maynard T, LaMantia A. Diminished dosage of 22q11 genes disrupts neurogenesis and cortical development in a mouse model of 22q11 deletion/DiGeorge syndrome. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:16434-45 pubmed publisher..Such developmental disruption may alter cortical circuitry and establish vulnerability for developmental disorders, including schizophrenia and autism. ..
- Müller Smith K, Williamson T, Schwartz M, Vaccarino F. Impaired motor coordination and disrupted cerebellar architecture in Fgfr1 and Fgfr2 double knockout mice. Brain Res. 2012;1460:12-24 pubmed publisher..The disrupted cerebellar size and laminar architecture resulting from loss of FGFR signaling impair motor learning and coordination in FGFR DKO mice. ..
- Morikawa Y, Hisaoka T, Senba E. Characterization of Foxp2-expressing cells in the developing spinal cord. Neuroscience. 2009;162:1150-62 pubmed publisher..In addition, neither Foxp1 nor Foxp2 was expressed in ventral calbindin(+) Renshaw cells. However, Foxp2 did not colocalize with Foxp1 in interneurons of the ventral spinal cord...
- Renier N, Schonewille M, Giraudet F, Badura A, Tessier Lavigne M, Avan P, et al. Genetic dissection of the function of hindbrain axonal commissures. PLoS Biol. 2010;8:e1000325 pubmed publisher..To our knowledge, this study is one of the first to link defects in commissural axon guidance with specific cellular and behavioral phenotypes. ..
- Medina C, Mazerolle C, Wang Y, Berube N, Coupland S, Gibbons R, et al. Altered visual function and interneuron survival in Atrx knockout mice: inference for the human syndrome. Hum Mol Genet. 2009;18:966-77 pubmed publisher..These results implicate a role for Atrx in interneuron survival and differentiation...
- Bridgewater D, Cox B, Cain J, Lau A, Athaide V, Gill P, et al. Canonical WNT/beta-catenin signaling is required for ureteric branching. Dev Biol. 2008;317:83-94 pubmed publisher..Together, these data demonstrate that beta-catenin performs essential functions during renal branching morphogenesis via control of a hierarchy of genes that control ureteric branching. ..
- Guirado S, Real M, Dávila J. Distinct immunohistochemically defined areas in the medial amygdala in the developing and adult mouse. Brain Res Bull. 2008;75:214-7 pubmed publisher..transporter type 2 (VGLUT2), the neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS), and the calcium-binding proteins calbindin-D28k (CB) and calretinin (CR) in the developing and adult mouse medial amygdala...
- Liu C, Lin C, Whitaker D, Bakeri H, Bulgakov O, Liu P, et al. Prickle1 is expressed in distinct cell populations of the central nervous system and contributes to neuronal morphogenesis. Hum Mol Genet. 2013;22:2234-46 pubmed publisher..Our studies implicate Pk1 function in axonal-dendritic development associated with the maturation of CNS neurons. ..
- Andrews W, Barber M, Hernadez Miranda L, Xian J, Rakic S, Sundaresan V, et al. The role of Slit-Robo signaling in the generation, migration and morphological differentiation of cortical interneurons. Dev Biol. 2008;313:648-58 pubmed....
- Pei Y, Brun S, Markant S, Lento W, Gibson P, Taketo M, et al. WNT signaling increases proliferation and impairs differentiation of stem cells in the developing cerebellum. Development. 2012;139:1724-33 pubmed publisher..These studies suggest that the WNT pathway is a potent regulator of cerebellar stem cell growth and differentiation. ..
- Sessa A, Mao C, Colasante G, Nini A, Klein W, Broccoli V. Tbr2-positive intermediate (basal) neuronal progenitors safeguard cerebral cortex expansion by controlling amplification of pallial glutamatergic neurons and attraction of subpallial GABAergic interneurons. Genes Dev. 2010;24:1816-26 pubmed publisher..We thus propose that INPs are able to control simultaneously the increase of glutamatergic and GABAergic neuronal pools, thereby creating a simple way to intrinsically balance their relative accumulation. ..
- Kay J, Chu M, Sanes J. MEGF10 and MEGF11 mediate homotypic interactions required for mosaic spacing of retinal neurons. Nature. 2012;483:465-9 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that members of this gene family can also serve as subtype-specific ligands that pattern neuronal arrays. ..
- Yu T, Yaguchi Y, Echevarria D, Martinez S, Basson M. Sprouty genes prevent excessive FGF signalling in multiple cell types throughout development of the cerebellum. Development. 2011;138:2957-68 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data demonstrate that FGF signalling levels have to be tightly controlled throughout cerebellar development in order to maintain the normal development of multiple cell types. ..
- Basson M, Echevarria D, Ahn C, Sudarov A, Joyner A, Mason I, et al. Specific regions within the embryonic midbrain and cerebellum require different levels of FGF signaling during development. Development. 2008;135:889-98 pubmed publisher..We suggest a molecular explanation for this phenomenon by providing evidence that FGF signaling functions to inhibit the BMP signaling that promotes roof plate development. ..
- Sudarov A, Joyner A. Cerebellum morphogenesis: the foliation pattern is orchestrated by multi-cellular anchoring centers. Neural Dev. 2007;2:26 pubmed....
- Poche R, Furuta Y, Chaboissier M, Schedl A, Behringer R. Sox9 is expressed in mouse multipotent retinal progenitor cells and functions in Müller glial cell development. J Comp Neurol. 2008;510:237-50 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, by employing a conditional knockout approach, we show that Sox9 is essential for the differentiation and/or survival of postnatal Müller glial cells. ..
- Poche R, Kwan K, Raven M, Furuta Y, Reese B, Behringer R. Lim1 is essential for the correct laminar positioning of retinal horizontal cells. J Neurosci. 2007;27:14099-107 pubmed..This study is the first to describe a cell type-specific genetic program that is essential for targeting a discrete retinal neuron population to the proper lamina. ..
- Kanatani S, Yozu M, Tabata H, Nakajima K. COUP-TFII is preferentially expressed in the caudal ganglionic eminence and is involved in the caudal migratory stream. J Neurosci. 2008;28:13582-91 pubmed publisher..Thus, a locally expressed transcription factor determines the migratory direction of the cortical interneurons in a region-specific manner. ..
- Rakic S, Yanagawa Y, Obata K, Faux C, Parnavelas J, Nikolic M. Cortical interneurons require p35/Cdk5 for their migration and laminar organization. Cereb Cortex. 2009;19:1857-69 pubmed publisher..We, therefore, propose that p35/Cdk5 plays a key role in guiding cortical interneurons to their final positions in the cortex. ..
- Ma S, Kwon H, Huang Z. Ric-8a, a guanine nucleotide exchange factor for heterotrimeric G proteins, regulates bergmann glia-basement membrane adhesion during cerebellar foliation. J Neurosci. 2012;32:14979-93 pubmed publisher....
- Steinecke A, Gampe C, Valkova C, Kaether C, Bolz J. Disrupted-in-Schizophrenia 1 (DISC1) is necessary for the correct migration of cortical interneurons. J Neurosci. 2012;32:738-45 pubmed publisher..These findings provide a possible link between clinical studies reporting alterations of cortical interneurons in schizophrenic patients and the current notion of schizophrenia as a neurodevelopmental disorder. ..
- Colombo E, Collombat P, Colasante G, Bianchi M, Long J, Mansouri A, et al. Inactivation of Arx, the murine ortholog of the X-linked lissencephaly with ambiguous genitalia gene, leads to severe disorganization of the ventral telencephalon with impaired neuronal migration and differentiation. J Neurosci. 2007;27:4786-98 pubmed..Altogether, these results highlight the critical functions of Arx in promoting neural migration and regulating basal ganglia differentiation in mice, consistent with the phenotype of XLAG patients...
- Georgi S, Reh T. Dicer is required for the transition from early to late progenitor state in the developing mouse retina. J Neurosci. 2010;30:4048-61 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Dicer is necessary for the developmental change in competence of the retinal progenitor cells. ..
- García López M, Abellan A, Legaz I, Rubenstein J, Puelles L, Medina L. Histogenetic compartments of the mouse centromedial and extended amygdala based on gene expression patterns during development. J Comp Neurol. 2008;506:46-74 pubmed..Our study provides a molecular and morphological foundation for understanding the complex embryonic origins and adult organization of the centromedial and extended amygdala. ..
- McNeill E, Klöckner Bormann M, Roesler E, Talton L, Moechars D, Clagett Dame M. Nav2 hypomorphic mutant mice are ataxic and exhibit abnormalities in cerebellar development. Dev Biol. 2011;353:331-43 pubmed publisher..This work supports an essential role for full-length Nav2 in cerebellar development, including axonal elongation and migration of the EGL neurons. ..
- Azim E, Jabaudon D, Fame R, Macklis J. SOX6 controls dorsal progenitor identity and interneuron diversity during neocortical development. Nat Neurosci. 2009;12:1238-47 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that SOX6 is a central regulator of both progenitor and cortical interneuron diversity during neocortical development. ..
- Zhao T, Szabo N, Ma J, Luo L, Zhou X, Alvarez Bolado G. Genetic mapping of Foxb1-cell lineage shows migration from caudal diencephalon to telencephalon and lateral hypothalamus. Eur J Neurosci. 2008;28:1941-55 pubmed publisher..The expanded neuroepithelium generates abundant neurons for the medial hypothalamus at the tuberal level. Finally, we have uncovered novel diencephalon-to-telencephalon migrations into septum, piriform cortex and amygdala. ..
- Saul S, Brzezinski J, Altschuler R, Shore S, Rudolph D, Kabara L, et al. Math5 expression and function in the central auditory system. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2008;37:153-69 pubmed..These temporal changes are consistent with a higher-level auditory processing disorder involving the CN, potentially affecting the integration of binaural sensory information. ..
- Ma L, Cantrup R, Varrault A, Colak D, Klenin N, Gotz M, et al. Zac1 functions through TGFbetaII to negatively regulate cell number in the developing retina. Neural Dev. 2007;2:11 pubmed..This raises the intriguing possibility that tumorigenicity may also be associated with the loss of feedback inhibition in mature tissues. ..
- Fujiyama T, Yamada M, Terao M, Terashima T, Hioki H, Inoue Y, et al. Inhibitory and excitatory subtypes of cochlear nucleus neurons are defined by distinct bHLH transcription factors, Ptf1a and Atoh1. Development. 2009;136:2049-58 pubmed publisher....
- Grimaldi P, Parras C, Guillemot F, Rossi F, Wassef M. Origins and control of the differentiation of inhibitory interneurons and glia in the cerebellum. Dev Biol. 2009;328:422-33 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that Ascl1 directs ventricular neuroepithelium progenitors towards inhibitory interneuron fate and restricts their ability to differentiate along the astroglial lineage. ..
- Qin J, Suh J, Kim B, Yu C, Tanaka T, Kodama T, et al. The expression pattern of nuclear receptors during cerebellar development. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:810-20 pubmed..Taken together, our results suggest that members of the nuclear receptor superfamily might play importantly physiological roles in the cerebellum. ..
- Rumballe B, Georgas K, Combes A, Ju A, Gilbert T, Little M. Nephron formation adopts a novel spatial topology at cessation of nephrogenesis. Dev Biol. 2011;360:110-22 pubmed publisher..We propose that this phase of nephron formation represents an acceleration of differentiation within the cap mesenchyme due to a displacement of signals within the nephrogenic niche. ..
- Qiu F, Jiang H, Xiang M. A comprehensive negative regulatory program controlled by Brn3b to ensure ganglion cell specification from multipotential retinal precursors. J Neurosci. 2008;28:3392-403 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that Brn3b specifies the RGC fate from multipotential precursors not only by promoting RGC differentiation but also by suppressing non-RGC differentiation programs as a safeguard mechanism. ..
- Martins R, Zindy F, Donovan S, Zhang J, Pounds S, Wey A, et al. N-myc coordinates retinal growth with eye size during mouse development. Genes Dev. 2008;22:179-93 pubmed publisher..We propose that N-myc lies upstream of the cell cycle machinery in the developing mouse retina and thus coordinates the growth of both the retina and eye through extrinsic cues. ..
- Kuure S, Cebrian C, MACHINGO Q, Lu B, Chi X, Hyink D, et al. Actin depolymerizing factors cofilin1 and destrin are required for ureteric bud branching morphogenesis. PLoS Genet. 2010;6:e1001176 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that ADF activity, provided by either cofilin1 or destrin, is essential in UB epithelial cells for normal growth and branching. ..
- Ola R, Jakobson M, Kvist J, Perälä N, Kuure S, Braunewell K, et al. The GDNF target Vsnl1 marks the ureteric tip. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2011;22:274-84 pubmed publisher..In summary, Vsnl1 marks ureteric bud tips in embryonic kidneys, and its mosaic pattern demonstrates a heterogeneity of cell types that may be critical for normal ureteric branching. ..
- Matsuoka R, Chivatakarn O, Badea T, SAMUELS I, Cahill H, Katayama K, et al. Class 5 transmembrane semaphorins control selective Mammalian retinal lamination and function. Neuron. 2011;71:460-73 pubmed publisher..These findings define a set of ligands and receptors required for the establishment of inner retinal lamination and function. ..
- Ding Q, Chen H, Xie X, Libby R, Tian N, Gan L. BARHL2 differentially regulates the development of retinal amacrine and ganglion neurons. J Neurosci. 2009;29:3992-4003 pubmed publisher..Thus, BARHL2 appears to have numerous roles in retinal development, including regulating neuronal subtype specification, differentiation, and survival. ..
- Lopez Bendito G, Flames N, Ma L, Fouquet C, di Meglio T, Chedotal A, et al. Robo1 and Robo2 cooperate to control the guidance of major axonal tracts in the mammalian forebrain. J Neurosci. 2007;27:3395-407 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that Robo1 and Robo2 mostly cooperate to mediate the function of Slit proteins in guiding the major forebrain projections. ..
- Elshatory Y, Deng M, Xie X, Gan L. Expression of the LIM-homeodomain protein Isl1 in the developing and mature mouse retina. J Comp Neurol. 2007;503:182-97 pubmed..Taken together, Isl1 is expressed during the maturation of and is later maintained in retinal ganglion cells and subtypes of amacrine and bipolar cells where it may function in the maintenance of these cells into adulthood. ..
- Chizhikov V, Davenport J, Zhang Q, Shih E, Cabello O, Fuchs J, et al. Cilia proteins control cerebellar morphogenesis by promoting expansion of the granule progenitor pool. J Neurosci. 2007;27:9780-9 pubmed....
- Faux C, Rakic S, Andrews W, Yanagawa Y, Obata K, Parnavelas J. Differential gene expression in migrating cortical interneurons during mouse forebrain development. J Comp Neurol. 2010;518:1232-48 pubmed publisher..These data therefore provide a framework for future studies aimed at elucidating the complexities of interneuron migration and, in turn, may reveal important genes that are related to the development of specific neurological disorders. ..
- Corrales J, Rocco G, Blaess S, Guo Q, Joyner A. Spatial pattern of sonic hedgehog signaling through Gli genes during cerebellum development. Development. 2004;131:5581-90 pubmed..Taken together, these studies demonstrate that positive Shh signaling through Gli2 is required to generate a sufficient number of GCPs for proper lobe growth. ..
- Jensen P, Smeyne R, Goldowitz D. Analysis of cerebellar development in math1 null embryos and chimeras. J Neurosci. 2004;24:2202-11 pubmed..Finally, the colonization of the EGL by wild-type cells and the presence of acellular gaps provides evidence that EGL neuroblasts undergo active migration and likely have a predetermined spatial address in the rhombic lip. ..
- Trommsdorff M, Gotthardt M, Hiesberger T, Shelton J, Stockinger W, Nimpf J, et al. Reeler/Disabled-like disruption of neuronal migration in knockout mice lacking the VLDL receptor and ApoE receptor 2. Cell. 1999;97:689-701 pubmed..These findings suggest that VLDLR and ApoER2 participate in transmitting the extracellular Reelin signal to intracellular signaling processes initiated by mDab1. ..
- Andersson E, Jensen J, Parmar M, Guillemot F, Bjorklund A. Development of the mesencephalic dopaminergic neuron system is compromised in the absence of neurogenin 2. Development. 2006;133:507-16 pubmed....
- Larouche M, Che P, Hawkes R. Neurogranin expression identifies a novel array of Purkinje cell parasagittal stripes during mouse cerebellar development. J Comp Neurol. 2006;494:215-27 pubmed..Neurogranin immunoreactivity will be a valuable tool in helping to clarify the relationships between early- and late-onset patterns. ..
- Kitamura K, Yanazawa M, Sugiyama N, Miura H, Iizuka Kogo A, Kusaka M, et al. Mutation of ARX causes abnormal development of forebrain and testes in mice and X-linked lissencephaly with abnormal genitalia in humans. Nat Genet. 2002;32:359-69 pubmed..The present report is, to our knowledge, the first to use phenotypic analysis of a knockout mouse to identify a gene associated with an X-linked human brain malformation...