Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Car4
Description: carbonic anhydrase 4
Alias: AW456718, Ca4, carbonic anhydrase 4, CA-IV, carbonate dehydratase IV, carbonic anhydrase IV
- Role of carbonic anhydrase IV in the bicarbonate-mediated activation of murine and human spermPetra M Wandernoth
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Saarland University, Homburg, Saar, Germany
PLoS ONE 5:e15061. 2010..We here show that murine sperm possess extracellular CA IV that is transferred to the sperm surface as the sperm pass through the epididymis...
- The taste of carbonationJayaram Chandrashekar
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Departments of Neurobiology and Neurosciences, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Science 326:443-5. 2009..we demonstrated that the sour-sensing cells act as the taste sensors for carbonation, and showed that carbonic anhydrase 4, a glycosylphosphatidylinositol-anchored enzyme, functions as the principal CO2 taste sensor...
- Carbonic anhydrase XIV deficiency produces a functional defect in the retinal light responseJudith Mosinger Ogilvie
Department of Biology, Saint Louis University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63104, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:8514-9. 2007..b>CA IV and CA XIV are membrane-bound isozymes expressed in the eye...
- Carbonic anhydrase in mouse testis and epididymis; transfer of isozyme IV to spermatozoa during passageElisabeth Ekstedt
Department of Anatomy and Physiology, Centre for Reproductive Biology in Uppsala, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, S 75007 Uppsala, Sweden
J Mol Histol 35:167-73. 2004..Spermatozoa, when studied in both the scanning electron and light microscope, were found to pickup membrane-bound CA IV during their passage through the epididymal duct...
- Characterization of CA XV, a new GPI-anchored form of carbonic anhydraseMika Hilvo
Institute of Medical Technology, University of Tampere and Tampere University Hospital, Biokatu 6, 33520 Tampere, Finland
Biochem J 392:83-92. 2005..Phylogenetic analysis showed that mouse CA XV is related to CA IV. Therefore both of these enzymes were expressed in COS-7 cells and studied in parallel experiments...
- Carbonic anhydrase IV and XIV knockout mice: roles of the respective carbonic anhydrases in buffering the extracellular space in brainGul N Shah
Edward A Doisy Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Saint Louis University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63104, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:16771-6. 2005..of these two isozymes in this and other physiological functions attributed to extracellular CAs, we produced CA IV and CA XIV knockout (KO) mice by targeted mutagenesis and the doubly deficient CA IV/XIV KO mice by intercrossing ..
- Expression of membrane-bound carbonic anhydrases IV, IX, and XIV in the mouse heartRenate J Scheibe
Zentrum Physiologie, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Carl Neuberg Str 1, 30625 Hannover, Germany
J Histochem Cytochem 54:1379-91. 2006Expression of membrane-bound carbonic anhydrases (CAs) of CA IV, CA IX, CA XII, and CA XIV has been investigated in the mouse heart...
- Carbonic anhydrases IV and IX: subcellular localization and functional role in mouse skeletal muscleRenate J Scheibe
Zentrum Biochemie, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Carl Neuberg Str 1, 30625 Hannover, Germany
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 294:C402-12. 2008..b>CA IV has been found to be located on the plasma membrane as well as on the sarcoplasmic reticulum (SR) membrane...
- Bcl11b/Ctip2 is required for development of lingual papillae in miceYugo Nishiguchi
Department of Bioengineering, Graduate School of Bioscience and Bioengineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Yokohama 226 8501, Japan
Dev Biol 416:98-110. 2016..These results indicate that Bcl11b regulates the differentiation of keratinocytes in the tongue and identify Bcl11b as an essential factor for the lingual papilla morphogenesis. ..
- Normal Fertility Requires the Expression of Carbonic Anhydrases II and IV in SpermPetra M Wandernoth
From the Institute of Anatomy, University Hospital, University Duisburg Essen, Hufelandstrase 55, 45122 Essen, Germany
J Biol Chem 290:29202-16. 2015..These results suggest that CAII and CAIV are required for optimal fertilization. ..
- Thyroid hormone drives the expression of mouse carbonic anhydrase Car4 in kidney, lung and brainMilica Vujovic
Karolinska Institutet, Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, 17177 Stockholm, Sweden
Mol Cell Endocrinol 416:19-26. 2015..model with a mutation in thyroid hormone receptor α1 (TRα1), we here demonstrate that the expression of carbonic anhydrase 4 in lung and brain of the adult animal depends on intact TRα1 signaling...
- Acid-sensing ion channels contribute to synaptic transmission and inhibit cocaine-evoked plasticityCollin J Kreple
1 Medical Scientist Training Program, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, USA 2 Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, USA 3
Nat Neurosci 17:1083-91. 2014..Together, these data suggest that ASIC1A inhibits the plasticity underlying addiction-related behavior and raise the possibility of developing therapies for drug addiction by targeting ASIC-dependent neurotransmission. ..
- Carbonic anhydrase IV is expressed on IL-5-activated murine eosinophilsTing Wen
Division of Allergy and Immunology, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH 45229 and
J Immunol 192:5481-9. 2014..b>Carbonic anhydrase IV (Car4) was a top dysregulated gene with 36-fold induction in allergen-elicited pulmonary eosinophils, ..
- Expression patterns and subcellular localization of carbonic anhydrases are developmentally regulated during tooth formationClaes Göran Reibring
Department of Oral Biochemistry, Sahlgrenska Academy at the University of Gothenburg, Goteborg, Sweden
PLoS ONE 9:e96007. 2014..Our study provides important information for future single or multiple gene targeting strategies aiming at deciphering the function of CAs during odontogenesis. ..
- Expression, assay, and structure of the extracellular domain of murine carbonic anhydrase XIV: implications for selective inhibition of membrane-associated isozymesDouglas A Whittington
Roy and Diana Vagelos Laboratories, Department of Chemistry, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Biol Chem 279:7223-8. 2004..The amino acid sequence identity of human CA XIV relative to the other membrane-associated isozymes (CA IV, CA IX, and CA XII) is 34-46%...
- GPI-anchored carbonic anhydrase IV displays both intra- and extracellular activity in cRNA-injected oocytes and in mouse neuronsHans Peter Schneider
Abteilung fur Allgemeine Zoologie, Fachbereich Biologie, University of Kaiserslautern, D 67653 Kaiserslautern, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 110:1494-9. 2013..b>CA IV expression in oocytes was confirmed by immunocytochemistry, and CA IV activity measured by mass spectrometry...
- A systematic survey of carbonic anhydrase mRNA expression during mammalian inner ear developmentLing Wu
Department of Anatomy, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, South Korea
Dev Dyn 242:269-80. 2013..To understand the specific roles of CA isozymes in the inner ear, a systematic survey was conducted to reveal temporal and spatial expression patterns of all 16 CA isozymes during inner ear development...
- The period of the somite segmentation clock is sensitive to Notch activityWoong Kim
Laboratory of Gene Regulation Research, Graduate School of Biological Sciences, Nara Institute of Science and Technology, Ikoma, Nara 630 0192, Japan
Mol Biol Cell 22:3541-9. 2011..Therefore we propose that the period of the somite segmentation clock is sensitive to Notch activity and that Nrarp plays essential roles in the morphology of vertebrae and ribs...
- T tubules and surface membranes provide equally effective pathways of carbonic anhydrase-facilitated lactic acid transport in skeletal muscleJanine Hallerdei
Molecular and Cell Physiology, Vegetative Physiologie, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Hannover, Germany
PLoS ONE 5:e15137. 2010..The data suggest that about half the CA-dependent muscular lactate flux occurs across the surface membrane, while the other half occurs across the membranes of the T tubuli...
- Up-regulation of carbonic anhydrase isozyme IV in CNS myelin of mice genetically deficient in carbonic anhydrase IIL P Brion
Department of Pediatrics, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10461
J Neurochem 63:360-6. 1994..CA(II)D resulted in a much lower total CA specific activity in all tissues examined but in higher CA IV specific activities in soluble and membrane-associated fractions and pure myelin...
- Molecular cloning of the mouse gene coding for carbonic anhydrase IVS Tamai
E A Doisy Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, St Louis University School of Medicine, Missouri 63104, USA
Biochem Genet 34:31-43. 1996b>Carbonic anhydrase IV (CA IV) is expressed on apical surfaces of renal tubular epithelium and endothelium of specialized capillary beds. It plays a key role in bicarbonate reabsorption in kidney and in CO2 transport in other tissues...
- Gly-63-->Gln substitution adjacent to His-64 in rodent carbonic anhydrase IVs largely explains their reduced activityS Tamai
Edward A Doisy Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, St Louis University Health Sciences Center, MO 63104, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93:13647-52. 1996..CA IVs purified from bovine and rabbit lungs are high-activity enzymes, like human CA IV, while CA IV from mouse and rat lungs had only 10-20% as much catalytic activity...
- Catalytic properties of murine carbonic anhydrase IVJ D Hurt
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, Florida 32610 0267, USA
J Biol Chem 272:13512-8. 1997A cDNA encoding the murine carbonic anhydrase IV (mCA IV) gene, modified to resemble a form of mature human carbonic anhydrase IV (Okuyama, T., Waheed, A., Kusumoto, W., Zhu, X. L., and Sly, W. S. (1995) Arch. Biochem. Biophys...
- Expression of carbonic anhydrase IV in carbonic anhydrase II-deficient miceL P Brion
Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
Am J Physiol 273:F234-45. 1997..This study was designed to assess CA IV expression in a model of CMA in the mouse, i.e., congenital deficiency in CA II [CA(II)D]...
- Isolation and expression of murine carbonic anhydrase IVJ D Hurt
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, Florida 32610, USA
Protein Expr Purif 12:7-16. 1998A 1193-bp cDNA containing the complete murine carbonic anhydrase IV coding sequence was isolated from a Balb/c kidney cDNA library...
- Residual embryonic cells as precursors of a Barrett's-like metaplasiaXia Wang
Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Cell 145:1023-35. 2011..Our findings suggest that certain precancerous lesions, such as Barrett's, initiate not from genetic alterations but from competitive interactions between cell lineages driven by opportunity...
- A systematic quantification of carbonic anhydrase transcripts in the mouse digestive systemPei wen Pan
Institute of Medical Technology, University of Tampere and Tampere University Hospital, 33520, Tampere, Finland
BMC Mol Biol 8:22. 2007..In the present study, we systematically examined the mRNA expression levels of all known CA isozymes by quantitative real-time PCR in eight tissues of the digestive system of male and female mice...
- Structures of murine carbonic anhydrase IV and human carbonic anhydrase II complexed with brinzolamide: molecular basis of isozyme-drug discriminationT Stams
Roy and Diana Vagelos Laboratories, Department of Chemistry, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia 19104 6323, USA
Protein Sci 7:556-63. 1998b>Carbonic anhydrase IV (CAIV) is a membrane-associated enzyme anchored to plasma membrane surfaces by a phosphatidylinositol glycan linkage. We have determined the 2...
- Carbonic anhydrases in the mouse harderian glandPei wen Pan
Institute of Medical Technology, University of Tampere, Biokatu 6, 33520 Tampere, Finland
J Mol Histol 41:411-7. 2010..Nine CA mRNAs were detectable in the gland. Car5b and Car13 showed the highest signals. Car4, Car6, and Car12 showed moderate expression levels, whereas Car2, Car3, Car7, and Car15 mRNAs were barely within ..
- Evaluation of the therapeutic potential of carbonic anhydrase inhibitors in two animal models of dystrophin deficient muscular dystrophyJean Giacomotto
Centre de Genetique Moleculaire et Cellulaire, UMR 5534, Universite Lyon 1, 69622 Villeurbanne Cedex, France
Hum Mol Genet 18:4089-101. 2009..These studies further demonstrated that a C. elegans-based screen coupled with a mouse model validation strategy can lead to the identification of potential pharmacological agents for rare diseases...
- Decreased expression of colonic Slc26a3 and carbonic anhydrase iv as a cause of fatal infectious diarrhea in miceDiana Borenshtein
Department of Biological Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Infect Immun 77:3639-50. 2009..and FVB/N was associated with significant fluid loss in feces, a remarkable downregulation of Slc26a3 and carbonic anhydrase IV (CAIV) message and protein expression, retention of chloride in stool, and hypochloremia, suggesting ..
- Carbonic anhydrases CA4 and CA14 both enhance AE3-mediated Cl--HCO3- exchange in hippocampal neuronsNataliya Svichar
Department of Neurosurgery, New York University Langone Medical Center, New York, New York 10016, USA
J Neurosci 29:3252-8. 2009Carbonic anhydrase (CA) activity in the brain extracellular space is attributable mainly to isoforms CA4 and CA14...
- Direct extracellular interaction between carbonic anhydrase IV and the human NBC1 sodium/bicarbonate co-transporterBernardo V Alvarez
Department of Physiology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2H7
Biochemistry 42:12321-9. 2003..Electrogenic NBC1 catalyzes HCO(3)(-) fluxes in mammalian kidney, pancreas, and heart cells. Carbonic anhydrase IV (CAIV), which is also present in these tissues, is glycosylphosphatidyl inositol-anchored to the outer ..
- Endocardiogenesis in embryoid bodies: novel markers identified by gene expression profilingHiromichi Narumiya
Department of Bioscience, National Cardiovascular Center Research Institute, 5 7 1 Fujishirodai, Suita, Osaka 565 8565, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 357:896-902. 2007..Further, they indicate that these new marker genes are useful to study the origin and induction of endocardial cells, and identify other endocardial markers...
- Crystal structure of the dimeric extracellular domain of human carbonic anhydrase XII, a bitopic membrane protein overexpressed in certain cancer tumor cellsD A Whittington
Roy and Diana Vagelos Laboratories, Department of Chemistry, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6323, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:9545-50. 2001..The structure of the CA XII-acetazolamide complex is also reported at 1.50-A resolution, and prospects for the design of CA XII-specific inhibitors of possible chemotherapeutic value are discussed...