Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Ctcf
Description: CCCTC-binding factor
Alias: AW108038, transcriptional repressor CTCF, 11-zinc finger protein, CTCFL paralog
- The nucleotides responsible for the direct physical contact between the chromatin insulator protein CTCF and the H19 imprinting control region manifest parent of origin-specific long-distance insulation and methylation-free domainsVinod Pant
Department of Development and Genetics, Evolution Biology Centre, Uppsala University, S 752 36 Uppsala, Sweden
Genes Dev 17:586-90. 2003..Igf2 allele has been proposed to depend on a methylation-sensitive chromatin insulator organized by the 11 zinc finger protein CTCF at the H19 imprinting control region (ICR)...
- Effect of CTCF-binding motif on regulation of PAX6 transcriptionDan Wu
Health Science Center, Shanghai Institute of Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, People s Republic of China
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 47:2422-9. 2006Previous studies indicate that the CCCTC binding transcription factor (CTCF) regulates homeobox PAX6 gene transcription in corneal epithelial cells...
- The testis-specific factor CTCFL cooperates with the protein methyltransferase PRMT7 in H19 imprinting control region methylationPetar Jelinic
Institute of Pathology, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Lausanne, Switzerland
PLoS Biol 4:e355. 2006..We demonstrate that CTCFL/BORIS, a paralog of CTCF, is an ICR-binding protein expressed during embryonic male germ cell development, coinciding with the timing of ICR ..
- Identification of a Ctcf cofactor, Yy1, for the X chromosome binary switchMary E Donohoe
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, USA
Mol Cell 25:43-56. 2007..Although no proven trans-acting factors have been identified, a likely candidate is Ctcf, a chromatin insulator with essential function in autosomal imprinting...
- CTCF regulates asynchronous replication of the imprinted H19/Igf2 domainRosita Bergstrom
Department of Development and Genetics, Evolutionary Biology Centre, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Cell Cycle 6:450-4. 2007..At the imprinted H19/Igf2 domain, the methylated paternal allele replicates early while the CTCF-bound maternal allele replicates late during S phase...
- Cohesins functionally associate with CTCF on mammalian chromosome armsVania Parelho
Lymphocyte Development Group, MRC Clinical Sciences Centre, Imperial College London, Du Cane Road, London W12 0NN, UK
Cell 132:422-33. 2008..occupy a subset of DNase I hypersensitive sites, many of which contain sequence motifs resembling the consensus for CTCF, a DNA-binding protein with enhancer blocking function and boundary-element activity...
- CTCF binding and higher order chromatin structure of the H19 locus are maintained in mitotic chromatinLes J Burke
Institute for Genetics, Justus Liebig Universitaet Giessen, Giessen, Germany
EMBO J 24:3291-300. 2005..For the zinc-finger protein CTCF, a role in interpreting and propagating epigenetic states and in separating expression domains has been documented...
- CTCF mediates interchromosomal colocalization between Igf2/H19 and Wsb1/Nf1Jian Qun Ling
Medical Service, Department of Veterans Affairs, Palo Alto Health Care System, and Department of Medicine, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA 94304, USA
Science 312:269-72. 2006..Omission of CCCTC-binding factor (CTCF) or deletion of the maternal ICR abrogated this association and altered Wsb1/Nf1 gene expression...
- CTCF binding at the H19 imprinting control region mediates maternally inherited higher-order chromatin conformation to restrict enhancer access to Igf2Sreenivasulu Kurukuti
Department of Development and Genetics, Uppsala University, Norbyvagen 18A, S 752 36 Uppsala, Sweden
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:10684-9. 2006..the H19 imprinting control region (ICR) directs the silencing of the maternally inherited Igf2 allele through a CTCF-dependent chromatin insulator...
- CTCF-dependent chromatin insulator is linked to epigenetic remodelingKo Ishihara
Department of Regeneration Medicine, Institute of Molecular Embryology and Genetics, Kumamoto University, 2 2 1 Honjo, Kumamoto 860 0811, Japan
Mol Cell 23:733-42. 2006..Here, we show that the SNF2-like chromodomain helicase protein CHD8 interacts with the insulator binding protein CTCF. Chromatin immunoprecipitation analysis revealed that CHD8 was present at known CTCF target sites, such as the ..
- Evidence that homologous X-chromosome pairing requires transcription and Ctcf proteinNa Xu
Howard Hughes Medical Institute Department of Molecular Biology, Massachusetts General Hospital Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Nat Genet 39:1390-6. 2007..However, a common denominator among them is the presence of the protein Ctcf, a chromatin insulator that we find to be essential for pairing...
- CTCF is the master organizer of domain-wide allele-specific chromatin at the H19/Igf2 imprinted regionLi Han
Division of Molecular Biology, Beckman Research Institute of the City of Hope, 1450 East Duarte Rd, Duarte, CA 91010 3011, USA
Mol Cell Biol 28:1124-35. 2008..b>CTCF protein binding in the ICR is required in the maternal chromosome for insulating Igf2 from the shared enhancers, ..
- Transcriptional repression by the insulator protein CTCF involves histone deacetylasesM Lutz
Genetisches Institut der Justus Liebig Universitat, Heinrich Buff Ring 58 62, 35392 Giessen, Germany
Nucleic Acids Res 28:1707-13. 2000The highly conserved zinc-finger protein, CTCF, is a candidate tumor suppressor protein that binds to highly divergent DNA sequences...
- CCCTC-binding factor activates PARP-1 affecting DNA methylation machineryTiziana Guastafierro
Department of Cellular Biotechnology and Haematology, University La Sapienza, Piazzale Aldo Moro 5, 00161 Rome, Italy
J Biol Chem 283:21873-80. 2008..Here we show that transient ectopic overexpression of CCCTC-binding factor (CTCF) induces PAR accumulation, PARP-1, and CTCF poly(ADP-ribosyl)ation in the same mouse fibroblasts...
- Maternal depletion of CTCF reveals multiple functions during oocyte and preimplantation embryo developmentLe Ben Wan
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Development 135:2729-38. 2008b>CTCF is a multifunctional nuclear factor involved in epigenetic regulation...
- CTCF regulates allelic expression of Igf2 by orchestrating a promoter-polycomb repressive complex 2 intrachromosomal loopTao Li
Medical Service, VA Palo Alto Health Care System, Palo Alto, California 94304, USA
Mol Cell Biol 28:6473-82. 2008b>CTCF is a zinc finger DNA-binding protein that regulates the epigenetic states of numerous target genes...
- CTCF regulates cell cycle progression of alphabeta T cells in the thymusHelen Heath
Department of Cell Biology and Genetics, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
EMBO J 27:2839-50. 2008The 11-zinc finger protein CCCTC-binding factor (CTCF) is a highly conserved protein, involved in imprinting, long-range chromatin interactions and transcription...
- The CTCF insulator protein is posttranslationally modified by SUMOMelissa J MacPherson
Department of Molecular Genetics, 1 King s College Circle, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Mol Cell Biol 29:714-25. 2009The CTCF protein is a highly conserved zinc finger protein that is implicated in many aspects of gene regulation and nuclear organization. Its functions include the ability to act as a repressor of genes, including the c-myc oncogene...
- Cutting edge: developmental stage-specific recruitment of cohesin to CTCF sites throughout immunoglobulin loci during B lymphocyte developmentStephanie C Degner
Department of Immunology and Microbial Science, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
J Immunol 182:44-8. 2009..5 Mb in each locus, in proximity to DJ(H) or J(kappa) genes. CCCTC-binding factor (CTCF) is a transcription factor that regulates gene expression by long-range chromosomal looping...
- CCCTC-binding factor (CTCF) and cohesin influence the genomic architecture of the Igh locus and antisense transcription in pro-B cellsStephanie C Degner
Department of Immunology and Microbial Science, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:9566-71. 2011..Because CCCTC-binding factor (CTCF) has been demonstrated to be involved in long-range chromosomal interactions, we hypothesized that CTCF may promote ..
- The CTCF insulator protein forms an unusual DNA structureMelissa J MacPherson
Department of Molecular Genetics, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
BMC Mol Biol 11:101. 2010The CTCF insulator protein is a highly conserved zinc finger protein that has been implicated in many aspects of gene regulation and nuclear organization. The protein has been hypothesized to organize the human genome by forming DNA loops.
- Transgenic RNAi reveals essential function for CTCF in H19 gene imprintingAndrew M Fedoriw
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Science 303:238-40. 2004..Insulin-like growth factor 2 expression involves binding of the vertebrate insulator protein, CCCTC binding factor (CTCF), to the maternally hypomethylated differentially methylated domain (DMD)...
- CTCF, a candidate trans-acting factor for X-inactivation choiceWendy Chao
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Molecular Biology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Science 295:345-7. 2002..Here, we identify the insulator and transcription factor, CTCF, as a candidate trans-acting factor for X-chromosome selection...
- Mutation of a single CTCF target site within the H19 imprinting control region leads to loss of Igf2 imprinting and complex patterns of de novo methylation upon maternal inheritanceVinod Pant
Department of Development and Genetics, Evolution Biology Centre, Uppsala University, S 752 36 Uppsala, Sweden
Mol Cell Biol 24:3497-504. 2004..shown that maternal inheritance of mutated (three of the four) target sites for the 11-zinc finger protein CTCF leads to loss of Igf2 imprinting...
- CTCF maintains differential methylation at the Igf2/H19 locusChristopher J Schoenherr
Department of Cell and Structural Biology, University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign, Urbana, Illinois 61801, USA
Nat Genet 33:66-9. 2003..One candidate regulator of methylation, the zinc-finger protein CTCF, binds to the imprinting control region (ICR) of the genes Igf2 (encoding insulin-like growth factor 2) and H19 (..
- Poly(ADP-ribosyl)ation regulates CTCF-dependent chromatin insulationWenqiang Yu
Department of Development and Genetics, Evolution Biology Centre, Uppsala University, Norbyvagen 18A, S 752 36 Uppsala, Sweden
Nat Genet 36:1105-10. 2004..We show that the chromatin insulator protein CTCF carries a post-translational modification: poly(ADP-ribosyl)ation...
- BORIS, a novel male germ-line-specific protein associated with epigenetic reprogramming events, shares the same 11-zinc-finger domain with CTCF, the insulator protein involved in reading imprinting marks in the somaDmitri I Loukinov
Laboratory of Immunopathology, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 0760, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:6806-11. 2002b>CTCF, a conserved, ubiquitous, and highly versatile 11-zinc-finger factor involved in various aspects of gene regulation, forms methylation-sensitive insulators that regulate X chromosome inactivation and expression of imprinted genes...
- An exceptionally conserved transcriptional repressor, CTCF, employs different combinations of zinc fingers to bind diverged promoter sequences of avian and mammalian c-myc oncogenesG N Filippova
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98104, USA
Mol Cell Biol 16:2802-13. 1996We have isolated and analyzed human CTCF cDNA clones and show here that the ubiquitously expressed 11-zinc-finger factor CTCF is an exceptionally highly conserved protein displaying 93% identity between avian and human amino acid ..
- Role of CTCF binding sites in the Igf2/H19 imprinting control regionPIROSKA E SZABO
Division of Biology, Beckman Research Institute of the City of Hope, 1450 East Duarte Rd, Duarte, CA 91010 3011, USA
Mol Cell Biol 24:4791-800. 2004..In somatic cells, the hypomethylated maternally inherited ICR binds the insulator protein CTCF at four sites and blocks activity of the proximal Igf2 promoter by insulating it from its distal enhancers...
- CTCF mediates long-range chromatin looping and local histone modification in the beta-globin locusErik Splinter
Department of Cell Biology and Genetics, Erasmus Medical Center, 3000 DR Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Genes Dev 20:2349-54. 2006b>CTCF (CCCTC-binding factor) binds sites around the mouse beta-globin locus that spatially cluster in the erythroid cell nucleus...
- Boundaries between chromosomal domains of X inactivation and escape bind CTCF and lack CpG methylation during early developmentGalina N Filippova
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Dev Cell 8:31-42. 2005..We report that the 5' end of Jarid1c, a mouse escape gene adjacent to an inactivated gene, binds CTCF, displays high levels of histone H3 acetylation, and functions as a CTCF-dependent chromatin insulator...
- A transducible nuclear/nucleolar protein, mLLP, regulates neuronal morphogenesis and synaptic transmissionNam Kyung Yu
Department of Biological Sciences, College of Natural Sciences, Seoul National University, Seoul, South Korea
Sci Rep 6:22892. 2016..Moreover, mLLP interacts with CCCTC-binding factor (CTCF) as well as transcriptional machineries and modulates gene expression involved in neuronal growth...
- The expression of Pax6 variants is subject to posttranscriptional regulation in the developing mouse eyelidFangyu Shi
State Key Laboratory for Agrobiotechnology, College of Biological Sciences, China Agricultural University, Beijing, China
PLoS ONE 8:e53919. 2013..This study offers insight into the function of the Pax6 protein in eyelid development...
- ADP-ribose polymer depletion leads to nuclear Ctcf re-localization and chromatin rearrangement(1)Tiziana Guastafierro
Department of Anatomy, Histology, Forensic Medicine and Orthopedics, Section of Histology and Embryology, Faculty of Pharmacy and Medicine, Sapienza University Rome, V le Regina Elena 324, 00161 Rome, Italy
Biochem J 449:623-30. 2013b>Ctcf (CCCTC-binding factor) directly induces Parp [poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase] 1 activity and its PARylation [poly(ADPribosyl)ation] in the absence of DNA damage...
- Mapping and functional characterisation of a CTCF-dependent insulator element at the 3' border of the murine Scl transcriptional domainGeorge A Follows
Department of Haematology, Cambridge Institute for Medical Research, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 7:e31484. 2012..at the boundary of active and inactive chromatin, does not function as a classical tissue-specific enhancer, binds CTCF and is both necessary and sufficient for insulator function in haematopoietic cells in vitro...
- Reciprocal Regulation of the Cardiac Epigenome by Chromatin Structural Proteins Hmgb and Ctcf: IMPLICATIONS FOR TRANSCRIPTIONAL REGULATIONEmma Monte
From the Departments of Anesthesiology
J Biol Chem 291:15428-46. 2016..We examined the roles of two chromatin structural proteins, Ctcf (CCCTC-binding factor) and Hmgb2 (high mobility group protein B2), in regulating pathologic transcription and ..
- CTCF regulates the local epigenetic state of ribosomal DNA repeatsSuzanne van de Nobelen
Department of Cell Biology and Genetics, Erasmus MC, The Netherlands
Epigenetics Chromatin 3:19. 2010CCCTC binding factor (CTCF) is a highly conserved zinc finger protein, which is involved in chromatin organization, local histone modifications, and RNA polymerase II-mediated gene transcription...
- CTCF Binding Polarity Determines Chromatin LoopingElzo de Wit
Hubrecht Institute KNAW and University Medical Center Utrecht, Uppsalalaan 8, 3584 CT Utrecht, The Netherlands
Mol Cell 60:676-84. 2015CCCTC-binding factor (CTCF) is an architectural protein involved in the three-dimensional (3D) organization of chromatin...
- CTCF-regulating endocrine function of pancreatic islet cells in transgenic miceY Fang
Shandong Blood Center, Jinan, Shandong Province, P R China
Horm Metab Res 46:419-23. 2014..studies from our lab demonstrate for the first time that Pax6 transcription is regulated by CCCTC binding factor (CTCF), a nuclear protein and transcription regulator...
- Epidermal growth factor (EGF)-induced corneal epithelial wound healing through nuclear factor κB subtype-regulated CCCTC binding factor (CTCF) activationLing Wang
Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California Los Angeles, Torrance, California 90503, USA
J Biol Chem 288:24363-71. 2013..study aimed to understand the role of NFκB in EGF-induced corneal epithelial wound healing through regulation of CTCF activity, which plays important roles in cell motility and migration to promote wound healing...
- CTCF depletion alters chromatin structure and transcription of myeloid-specific factorsLylia Ouboussad
Section of Experimental Haematology, Leeds Institute of Cancer Studies and Pathology, University of Leeds, Wellcome Trust Brenner Building, St James s University Hospital, Leeds LS9 7TF, UK
J Mol Cell Biol 5:308-22. 2013..Here, we show that the rate of differentiation of common myeloid precursor cells increases after depletion of CTCF, a protein emerging as a potential key factor regulating higher-order chromatin structure...
- Genome-Wide Mapping and Interrogation of the Nmp4 Antianabolic Bone AxisPaul Childress
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology P C, S H B, D H, A G R, M R A, J P B, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202 Lilly Research Laboratories K R S, J K M, Z R G, V K, Eli Lilly and Company, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202 Orthopaedic Surgery M B A, Indiana University School of Medicine Department of Medical and Molecular Genetics Z W, Y S, Y L, J P B, Indiana University School of Medicine Center for Computational Biology and Bioinformatics Z W, Y L, Indiana University School of Medicine Department of Pediatrics Y H, F C Y, Indiana University School of Medicine Herman B Wells Center for Pediatric Research Y H, F C Y Cellular and Integrative Physiology F M P Center for Translational Musculoskeletal Research S J W, School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, Indiana University and Department of Physical Therapy S J W, School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, Indiana University, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202
Mol Endocrinol 29:1269-85. 2015..These data suggest that Nmp4 suppresses bone anabolism, in part, by regulating IGF-binding protein expression. Changes in Nmp4 status may lead to improvements in osteoprogenitor response to therapeutic cues. ..
- Cohesin-based chromatin interactions enable regulated gene expression within preexisting architectural compartmentsVlad C Seitan
Lymphocyte Development Group, MRC Clinical Sciences Centre, Imperial College London, London W12 0NN, United Kingdom
Genome Res 23:2066-77. 2013..In addition, cohesin associates with active enhancers and promoters and with CTCF to form long-range interactions important for gene regulation...
- CCCTC-binding factor controls the homeostatic maintenance and migration of Langerhans cellsTae Gyun Kim
Department of Environmental Medical Biology, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea Brain Korea 21 PLUS Project for Medical Science, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Allergy Clin Immunol 136:713-24. 2015Langerhans cells (LCs) are skin-resident dendritic cells (DCs) that orchestrate skin immunity. CCCTC-binding factor (CTCF) is a highly conserved DNA-binding protein that regulates higher-order chromatin organization and is involved in ..
- CCCTC-binding factor mediates effects of glucose on beta cell survivalS Tsui
Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine University of California Los Angeles, Torrance, CA, 90502, USA
Cell Prolif 47:28-37. 2014..The present study investigates novel effects of glucose- and insulin-induced CCCTC-binding factor (CTCF) activity on Pax6 gene expression as well as for subsequent effects of insulin-activated signalling pathways, on β-..
- Dual effect of CTCF loss on neuroprogenitor differentiation and survivalL Ashley Watson
Departments of Paediatrics and Biochemistry, The University of Western Ontario and Children s Health Research Institute, London, Ontario N6C 2V5, Canada and Medical Genetics Centre Department of Cell Biology and Genetics, Erasmus University, 3000 CA, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Neurosci 34:2860-70. 2014..The CCCTC-binding factor (CTCF) is a zinc finger DNA binding protein involved in higher-order chromatin organization, and mutations in the human ..
- STAT3, STAT4, NFATc1, and CTCF regulate PD-1 through multiple novel regulatory regions in murine T cellsJames W Austin
Department of Microbiology and Immunology and
J Immunol 192:4876-86. 2014..Together these data add multiple novel distal regulatory regions and pathways to the control of PD-1 expression and provide a molecular mechanism by which proinflammatory cytokines, such as IL-6 or IL-12, can augment PD-1 expression. ..
- Characterization of ARF-BP1/HUWE1 interactions with CTCF, MYC, ARF and p53 in MYC-driven B cell neoplasmsChen Feng Qi
Laboratory of Immunogenetics, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Rockville, MD 20852, USA E Mails Y S K S X Z A A L K J S
Int J Mol Sci 13:6204-19. 2012..identified a multiprotein complex comprised of ARF-BP1, ARF, p53, MYC and the multifunctional DNA-binding factor, CTCF, which is involved in the transcriptional regulation of MYC, p53 and ARF...
- CTCF and Sp1 interact with the Murine gammaherpesvirus 68 internal repeat elementsHannah C Stevens
Department of Molecular and Clinical Pharmacology, Institute of Translational Medicine, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, L69 3GE, UK
Virus Genes 45:265-73. 2012..This cell line model was used to investigate transcription factor occupancy (CCCTC binding factor [CTCF] and Sp1) of the two internal repeat elements in the viral genome during latency and reactivation using chromatin ..
- Role of CCCTC binding factor (CTCF) and cohesin in the generation of single-cell diversity of protocadherin-α gene expressionKEVIN MONAHAN
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:9125-30. 2012..Here we show that both the insulator-binding protein CTCF and the cohesin complex subunit Rad21 bind to two highly conserved DNA sequences, the first within and the second ..
- Integrating role of T antigen, Rb2/p130, CTCF and BORIS in mediating non-canonical endoplasmic reticulum-dependent death pathways triggered by chronic ER stress in mouse medulloblastomaMarcella Macaluso
Sbarro Institute for Cancer Research and Molecular Medicine, Center for Biotechnology, College of Science and Technology, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Cell Cycle 11:1841-50. 2012..The diversity of these responses may be due, at least in part, to distinct activities of Rb2/p130, CTCF and BORIS proteins in response to an altered network of signaling evoked by the T-Ag presence...
- Cohesin regulates tissue-specific expression by stabilizing highly occupied cis-regulatory modulesAndre J Faure
European Bioinformatics Institute, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Hinxton, Cambridge CB10 1SD, United Kingdom
Genome Res 22:2163-75. 2012The cohesin protein complex contributes to transcriptional regulation in a CTCF-independent manner by colocalizing with master regulators at tissue-specific loci...
- Dynamic long-range chromatin interactions control Myb proto-oncogene transcription during erythroid developmentRalph Stadhouders
Department of Cell Biology, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
EMBO J 31:986-99. 2012..to harbour the transition site from transcription initiation to elongation, which takes place around a conserved CTCF site. Upon erythroid differentiation, Myb expression is downregulated and the ACH destabilized...
- The DNA-binding protein CTCF limits proximal Vκ recombination and restricts κ enhancer interactions to the immunoglobulin κ light chain locusClaudia Ribeiro de Almeida
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Erasmus MC Rotterdam, P O Box 2040, 3000 CA Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Immunity 35:501-13. 2011..Here, we studied the in vivo function of the DNA-binding zinc-finger protein CTCF, which regulates interactions between enhancers and promoters...
- ADP-ribose polymers localized on Ctcf-Parp1-Dnmt1 complex prevent methylation of Ctcf target sitesMichele Zampieri
Department of Cellular Biotechnologies and Hematology, Faculty of Pharmacy and Medicine, Sapienza University of Rome, V le Regina Elena 324, 00161 Rome, Italy
Biochem J 441:645-52. 2012..Our previous findings indicated that Ctcf (CCCTC-binding factor) may be an important player in key events whereby PARylation controls the unmethylated status ..
- CTCF occupation of the herpes simplex virus 1 genome is disrupted at early times postreactivation in a transcription-dependent mannerMonica K Ertel
Department of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
J Virol 86:12741-59. 2012In herpes simplex virus 1 (HSV-1), binding clusters enriched in CTCF during latency have been previously identified. We hypothesized that CTCF binding to CTCF clusters in HSV-1 would be disrupted in a reactivation event...
- Tcra gene recombination is supported by a Tcra enhancer- and CTCF-dependent chromatin hubHan Yu Shih
Department of Immunology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:E3493-502. 2012..We found that the CCCTC-binding factor (CTCF) binds to E(α) and to many locus promoters, biases E(α) to interact with these promoters, and is required for ..
- Jpx RNA activates Xist by evicting CTCFSha Sun
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Molecular Biology, Massachusetts General Hospital, and Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Cell 153:1537-51. 2013..In pre-XCI cells, CTCF protein represses Xist transcription...
- Upstream distal regulatory elements contact the Lmo2 promoter in mouse erythroid cellsAnandi Bhattacharya
Department of Cell and Systems Biology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
PLoS ONE 7:e52880. 2012..Binding of CTCF and cohesin which support chromatin loops at other loci were also found within the dCR and at the Lmo2 proximal ..
- Critical role for the transcription regulator CCCTC-binding factor in the control of Th2 cytokine expressionClaudia Ribeiro de Almeida
Department of Immunology, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Immunol 182:999-1010. 2009..this report, we investigated the role in Th2 differentiation of the transcription regulator CCCTC-binding factor (CTCF). Chromatin immunoprecipitation analysis revealed multiple CTCF binding sites in the Th2 cytokine locus...
- Molecular cloning and expression of the chromatin insulator protein CTCF in Xenopus laevisLes J Burke
Institute for Genetics, Justus Liebig Universitat Giessen, Heinrich Buff Ring 58 62, D 35392, Germany
Mech Dev 113:95-8. 2002The zinc finger protein CTCF has been shown to mediate multiple functions connected to gene repression. Transcriptional inhibition as well as enhancer blocking and chromatin insulation are documented for CTCF in men, mice and chickens...
- Allele-specific binding of CTCF to the multipartite imprinting control region KvDMR1Galina V Fitzpatrick
Department of Cancer Genetics, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Elm and Carlton Streets, Buffalo, NY 14263, USA
Mol Cell Biol 27:2636-47. 2007..we demonstrate by electrophoretic mobility shift assays and chromatin immunoprecipitation the existence of two CTCF binding sites within KvDMR1 that are occupied in vivo only on the unmethylated paternally derived allele...
- Tsix-mediated epigenetic switch of a CTCF-flanked region of the Xist promoter determines the Xist transcription programPablo Navarro
Unité de Génétique Moléculaire Murine, Institut Pasteur 75724, Paris Cedex 15, France
Genes Dev 20:2787-92. 2006..We show here that a precisely defined Xist promoter region flanked by CTCF is maintained by Tsix in a heterochromatic-like state in undifferentiated embryonic stem (ES) cells and shifts to a ..
- A chromatin insulator-like element in the herpes simplex virus type 1 latency-associated transcript region binds CCCTC-binding factor and displays enhancer-blocking and silencing activitiesAntonio L Amelio
Department of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, 32610 0266, USA
J Virol 80:2358-68. 2006..revealed that (i) the long and short repeats and the unique-short region of the HSV-1 genome contain clustered CTCF (CCCTC-binding factor) motifs, (ii) CTCF motif clusters similar to those in HSV-1 are conserved in other ..
- Rasgrf1 imprinting is regulated by a CTCF-dependent methylation-sensitive enhancer blockerBongjune Yoon
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, New York 14263, USA
Mol Cell Biol 25:11184-90. 2005..Here we identify the mechanism by which methylation controls imprinting. The DMD is an enhancer blocker that binds CTCF in a methylation-sensitive manner. CTCF bound to the unmethylated maternal allele silences expression...
- The human enhancer blocker CTC-binding factor interacts with the transcription factor KaisoPierre Antoine Defossez
CNRS UMR5161, Ecole Normale Superieure de Lyon, 46 allee d Italie, 69364 Lyon Cedex 07, France
J Biol Chem 280:43017-23. 2005CTC-binding factor (CTCF) is a DNA-binding protein of vertebrates that plays essential roles in regulating genome activity through its capacity to act as an enhancer blocker...
- Familial cases of point mutations in the XIST promoter reveal a correlation between CTCF binding and pre-emptive choices of X chromosome inactivationElena M Pugacheva
Molecular Pathology Section, Laboratory of Immunopathology, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, 5640 Fishers Lane, Twinbrook I Rm 1417, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
Hum Mol Genet 14:953-65. 2005..Here we identify this factor as CTCF, a conserved protein with a 11 Zn-finger (ZF) domain that can mediate multiple sequence-specificity and ..
- Interaction of DNA fragmentation factor (DFF) with DNA reveals an unprecedented mechanism for nuclease inhibition and suggests that DFF can be activated in a DNA-bound stateChristian Korn
Institute of Biochemistry, Justus Liebig University Giessen, 35392 Giessen, Germany
J Biol Chem 280:6005-15. 2005..In transfected HeLa cells transiently expressed DFF associates with chromatin, suggesting that DFF could be activated during apoptosis in a DNA-bound state...
- An antisense RNA regulates the bidirectional silencing property of the Kcnq1 imprinting control regionNoopur Thakur
Department of Development and Genetics, Evolution Biology Centre, Uppsala University, Norbyvagen 18A, S 752 36 Uppsala, Sweden
Mol Cell Biol 24:7855-62. 2004..Double-stranded RNA (dsRNA)-mediated RNA interference is unlikely to be involved, as the ICR is active irrespective of the simultaneous production of dsRNA from the genes it silences...
- Both CTCF-dependent and -independent insulators are found between the mouse T cell receptor alpha and Dad1 genesFrédérique Magdinier
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, NIDDK, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 0504, USA
J Biol Chem 279:25381-9. 2004..report that one of these sites, not previously examined, strongly binds the insulator protein CCTC-binding factor (CTCF) in vitro and in vivo and can function in an enhancer blocking assay...
- An evolutionarily conserved putative insulator element near the 3' boundary of the imprinted Igf2/H19 domainKo Ishihara
Division of Human Genetics, Department of Integrated Genetics, National Institute of Genetics, Graduate University for Advanced Studies, 1111 Yata, Mishima, Shizuoka 411 8540, Japan
Hum Mol Genet 11:1627-36. 2002..We have identified a binding site for CTCF, a nuclear factor that mediates insulator activity in vertebrates, in the intergenic region...
- Conserved CTCF insulator elements flank the mouse and human beta-globin lociCatherine M Farrell
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Mol Cell Biol 22:3820-31. 2002A binding site for the transcription factor CTCF is responsible for enhancer-blocking activity in a variety of vertebrate insulators, including the insulators at the 5' and 3' chromatin boundaries of the chicken beta-globin locus...
- CTCF-binding elements mediate control of V(D)J recombinationChunguang Guo
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, The Children s Hospital, The Immune Disease Institute, Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, 300 Longwood Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Nature 477:424-30. 2011..Functionally, IGCR1 uses CTCF looping/insulator factor-binding elements and, correspondingly, mediates Igh loops containing distant enhancers...
- Sumoylation modulates a domain in CTCF that activates transcription and decondenses chromatinNeal S Kitchen
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana, Illinois 61801, USA
J Cell Biochem 111:665-75. 2010b>CTCF is a multipurpose transcription factor with activation, repression, and insulator activity. It also participates in regulating chromatin architecture by maintaining open chromatin and mediating long-range chromosomal interactions...
- Comparative epigenomic analysis of murine and human adipogenesisTarjei S Mikkelsen
Broad Institute, 7 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
Cell 143:156-69. 2010We report the generation and comparative analysis of genome-wide chromatin state maps, PPARγ and CTCF localization maps, and gene expression profiles from murine and human models of adipogenesis...
- Mediation of CTCF transcriptional insulation by DEAD-box RNA-binding protein p68 and steroid receptor RNA activator SRAHongjie Yao
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Genes Dev 24:2543-55. 2010CCCTC-binding factor (CTCF) is a DNA-binding protein that plays important roles in chromatin organization, although the mechanism by which CTCF carries out these functions is not fully understood...
- CTCF binding is not the epigenetic mark that establishes post-fertilization methylation imprinting in the transgenic H19 ICRHitomi Matsuzaki
Graduate School of Life and Environmental Sciences, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
Hum Mol Genet 19:1190-8. 2010..In the present study, we investigated the requirements for the CTCF-binding sites of the ICR in the acquisition of post-fertilization methylation...
- Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD)-regulated DNA methylation alters CCCTC-binding factor (CTCF)/cohesin binding and transcription at the BDNF locusJufang Chang
Department of Genetics, and Hope Center for Neurological Disorders, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:21836-41. 2010..Increased methylation at this promoter triggered the dissociation of the insulator protein CTCF as well as the accompanying cohesin from the BDNF locus...
- CTCF-dependent chromatin bias constitutes transient epigenetic memory of the mother at the H19-Igf2 imprinting control region in prospermatogoniaDong Hoon Lee
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Beckman Research Institute, Duarte, CA, USA
PLoS Genet 6:e1001224. 2010..the chromatin bias, and also the delayed methylation establishment in the maternal allele, depended on functional CTCF insulator binding sites in the ICR...
- Functional analysis of CTCF during mammalian limb developmentNatalia Soshnikova
Department of Zoology and Animal Biology, University of Geneva, Switzerland
Dev Cell 19:819-30. 2010CCCTC-binding factor (CTCF) is a nuclear zinc-finger protein that displays insulating activity in a variety of biological assays...
- CCCTC-binding factor and the transcription factor T-bet orchestrate T helper 1 cell-specific structure and function at the interferon-gamma locusMasayuki Sekimata
Department of Immunology, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Immunity 31:551-64. 2009..IFNG) transcription, which is embedded within the human IL26 gene, compromised of a single CCCTC-binding factor (CTCF) binding site and retained in all mammals, even surviving near-complete evolutionary deletion of the equivalent ..
- CTCF promotes muscle differentiation by modulating the activity of myogenic regulatory factorsPaul Delgado-Olguín
Gladstone Institute of Cardiovascular Disease, Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94158, USA
J Biol Chem 286:12483-94. 2011b>CTCF nuclear factor regulates many aspects of gene expression, largely as a transcriptional repressor or via insulator function. Its roles in cellular differentiation are not clear. Here we show an unexpected role for CTCF in myogenesis...
- Novel cis-regulatory function in ICR-mediated imprinted repression of H19Folami Y Ideraabdullah
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 415 Curie Boulevard, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Dev Biol 355:349-57. 2011..b>CTCF binding sites and DNA methylation at the ICR have previously been identified as key cis-acting elements required ..
- Endonuclease-sensitive regions of human spermatozoal chromatin are highly enriched in promoter and CTCF binding sequencesAli Arpanahi
Reproduction and Early Development Unit, Leeds Institute of Genetics and Health Therapeutics, University of Leeds, Leeds, United Kingdom
Genome Res 19:1338-49. 2009..with gene regulatory regions, including many promoter sequences and sequences recognized by CCCTC-binding factor (CTCF). Similar differential packaging of promoters is observed in the spermatozoal chromatin of both mouse and man...
- Nonallelic transcriptional roles of CTCF and cohesins at imprinted lociShu Lin
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Mol Cell Biol 31:3094-104. 2011..in transcriptional regulation and insulation through genome-wide colocalization with the insulator protein CTCF, including involvement at the imprinted H19/Igf2 locus...
- CTCF regulates ataxin-7 expression through promotion of a convergently transcribed, antisense noncoding RNABryce L Sopher
Department of Laboratory Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Neuron 70:1071-84. 2011..The ataxin-7 repeat and translation start site are flanked by binding sites for CTCF, a highly conserved multifunctional transcription regulator...
- Regulation of Pax6 by CTCF during induction of mouse ES cell differentiationJie Gao
Division of Molecular Medicine, Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California Los Angeles, Torrance, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e20954. 2011..We report that Pax6 expression in mouse ES cells was controlled by CCCTC binding factor (CTCF) through a promoter repression mechanism...
- A boundary element between Tsix and Xist binds the chromatin insulator Ctcf and contributes to initiation of X-chromosome inactivationRebecca J Spencer
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Molecular Biology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Genetics 189:441-54. 2011..Here, we investigate the region and discover a conserved element, RS14, that presents a strong binding site for Ctcf protein...
- Restraint of angiogenesis by zinc finger transcription factor CTCF-dependent chromatin insulationMing Tang
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, FL 32610 3633, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:15231-6. 2011..Here we show that the chromatin insulator-binding factor CTCF binds to the proximal promoter of VEGF...
- The pluripotency factor Oct4 interacts with Ctcf and also controls X-chromosome pairing and countingMary E Donohoe
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, USA
Nature 460:128-32. 2009..Xite, two regulatory noncoding RNA genes of the X-inactivation centre, and also complexes with XCI trans-factors, Ctcf and Yy1 (ref. 17), through protein-protein interactions...
- CTCF binding sites promote transcription initiation and prevent DNA methylation on the maternal allele at the imprinted H19/Igf2 locusNora Engel
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia 19104, USA
Hum Mol Genet 15:2945-54. 2006..Four repeats in the DMD bind CTCF on the maternal allele and have been proposed to recruit methylation on the paternal allele...
- ATRX partners with cohesin and MeCP2 and contributes to developmental silencing of imprinted genes in the brainKristin D Kernohan
Department of Paediatrics, 800 Commissioners Road East, London, ON N6C 2V5, Canada
Dev Cell 18:191-202. 2010..Importantly, we show that ATRX loss of function alters enrichment of cohesin, CTCF, and histone modifications at the H19 ICR, without affecting DNA methylation on the paternal allele...
- Epigenetic effects if endocrine disruptors in fetal germ cellsPIROSKA E SZABO; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- The Role of Double Strand Breaks in CarcinogenesisCHRISTOPHER KEMP; Fiscal Year: 2006..Understanding the functional interaction of the P13 Ks, in regulating p53, apoptosis, development and carcinogenesis at the level of the whole animal is a necessary link to apply knowledge gained from cell culture models to the clinic. ..
- Mouse Models of Tumor Progression and Therapy ResponseCHRISTOPHER KEMP; Fiscal Year: 2007..These experiments will reveal the molecular and cellular basis for the poor clinical outcome associated with p27 deficient tumors. This knowledge can then be applied to improve treatment design and regimen in the clinical setting. ..
- Structure and Function of CTCF: Mouse Model StudiesGalina Filippova; Fiscal Year: 2007DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): CTCF is a highly conserved 11 Zn finger (ZF) transcription factor and insulator protein...