Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Dnmt1
Description: DNA methyltransferase (cytosine-5) 1
Alias: Cxxc9, Dnmt, Dnmt1o, MCMT, MTase, Met-1, Met1, MommeD2, m.MmuI, DNA (cytosine-5)-methyltransferase 1, DNA MTase MmuI, DNA methyltransferase MmuI
Publications127 found, 100 shown here
- Targeted mutation of the DNA methyltransferase gene results in embryonic lethalityE Li
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02142
Cell 69:915-26. 1992....
- Induction of tumors in mice by genomic hypomethylationFrançois Gaudet
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research and Department of Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
Science 300:489-92. 2003..To explore this phenomenon, we generated mice carrying a hypomorphic DNA methyltransferase 1 (Dnmt1) allele, which reduces Dnmt1 expression to 10% of wild-type levels and results in substantial genome-wide ..
- The Dnmt1 DNA-(cytosine-C5)-methyltransferase methylates DNA processively with high preference for hemimethylated target sitesAndrea Hermann
Institut fur Biochemie, FB 08, Heinrich Buff Ring 58, Justus Liebig Universitat Giessen, 35392 Giessen, Germany
J Biol Chem 279:48350-9. 2004In the cell, Dnmt1 is the major enzyme in maintenance of the pattern of DNA methylation after DNA replication...
- Repression of retrotransposal elements in mouse embryonic stem cells is primarily mediated by a DNA methylation-independent mechanismLEAH K HUTNICK
Department of Human Genetics, David Geffen School of Medicine, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
J Biol Chem 285:21082-91. 2010..Surprisingly, in demethylated ESC cultures carrying mutations of DNA methyltransferase I (Dnmt1), no IAP transcripts and proteins are detectable in undifferentiated Oct4(+) ESCs. In contrast, approximately 3...
- Replication-independent chromatin loading of Dnmt1 during G2 and M phasesHariharan P Easwaran
Max Delbruck Center for Molecular Medicine, 13125 Berlin, Germany
EMBO Rep 5:1181-6. 2004The major DNA methyltransferase, Dnmt1, associates with DNA replication sites in S phase maintaining the methylation pattern in the newly synthesized strand...
- Complete genetic suppression of polyp formation and reduction of CpG-island hypermethylation in Apc(Min/+) Dnmt1-hypomorphic MiceCindy A Eads
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine, Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center, Room 6418, Los Angeles, California 90089 9176, USA
Cancer Res 62:1296-9. 2002..and tumorigenesis by genetically modulating expression levels of the predominant DNA methyltransferase, Dnmt1, in Apc(Min/+) mice...
- DNMT1 binds HDAC2 and a new co-repressor, DMAP1, to form a complex at replication fociM R Rountree
The Johns Hopkins Oncology Center, Tumor Biology Laboratory, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Nat Genet 25:269-77. 2000..We show here that the chief enzyme that maintains mammalian DNA methylation, DNMT1, can also establish a repressive transcription complex...
- DNA hypomethylation perturbs the function and survival of CNS neurons in postnatal animalsG Fan
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research and Department of Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02142, USA
J Neurosci 21:788-97. 2001DNA methyltransferase I (Dnmt1), the maintenance enzyme for DNA cytosine methylation, is expressed at high levels in the CNS during embryogenesis and after birth...
- Regulation of transcription of the Dnmt1 gene by Sp1 and Sp3 zinc finger proteinsShotaro Kishikawa
Gene Engineering Division, Department of Biological Systems, BioResource Center, RIKEN The Institute of Physical and Chemical Research, Japan
Eur J Biochem 269:2961-70. 2002..In this study, we characterized the GC-rich promoter of the gene for the DNA methyltransferase (Dnmt1) that is responsible for methylation of cytosine residues in mammals and plays a role in gene silencing...
- DNA methyltransferase Dnmt1 and mismatch repairKeh Yang Wang
Institute of Genetics, National Yang Ming University, Shih Pai, Taipei 112, Taiwan, ROC
Oncogene 23:7898-902. 2004..the relationship between DNA mismatch repair and deficiency of DNA methylation in a mouse embryonic cell line, Dnmt1-/- ES, with homologous deletion of the gene coding for the maintenance DNA methyltransferase Dnmt1...
- DNA methyltransferases control telomere length and telomere recombination in mammalian cellsSusana Gonzalo
Telomeres and Telomerase Group, Molecular Oncology Program, Spanish National Cancer Centre CNIO, Madrid E 28029, Spain
Nat Cell Biol 8:416-24. 2006..Mouse embryonic stem (ES) cells genetically deficient for DNMT1, or both DNMT3a and DNMT3b have dramatically elongated telomeres compared with wild-type controls...
- Modifiers of epigenetic reprogramming show paternal effects in the mouseSuyinn Chong
Epigenetics Laboratory, Queensland Institute of Medical Research, 300 Herston Road, Herston, Brisbane, Queensland 4006, Australia
Nat Genet 39:614-22. 2007..Paternal effects of this type have not been reported previously in mammals and suggest that the untransmitted genotype of male parents can influence the phenotype of their offspring...
- Methyltransferases mediate cell memory of a genotoxic insultR E Rugo
Department of Biological Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Oncogene 30:751-6. 2011..basis for the memory of an insult is completely dependent on two of the major DNA cytosine methyltransferases, Dnmt1 and Dnmt3a...
- Cross-regulation of cytokine signalling: pro-inflammatory cytokines restrict IL-6 signalling through receptor internalisation and degradationSimone Radtke
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Medical School RWTH Aachen, 52074 Aachen, Germany
J Cell Sci 123:947-59. 2010..Hence, a novel negative crosstalk mechanism for cytokine signalling is described, where cytokine receptor turnover is regulated in trans by pro-inflammatory cytokines and stress stimuli to coordinate the inflammatory response...
- Activation of mammalian DNA methyltransferase by cleavage of a Zn binding regulatory domainT H Bestor
Department of Anatomy and Cellular Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115
EMBO J 11:2611-7. 1992..Stimulation of the de novo activity of DNA methyltransferase by proteolytic cleavage in vivo may contribute to the process of ectopic methylation observed in the DNA of aging animals, tumors and in lines of cultured cells...
- Dnmt1N/+ reduces the net growth rate and multiplicity of intestinal adenomas in C57BL/6-multiple intestinal neoplasia (Min)/+ mice independently of p53 but demonstrates strong synergy with the modifier of Min 1(AKR) resistance alleleR T Cormier
McArdle Laboratory for Cancer Research, University of Wisconsin, Madison 53706, USA
Cancer Res 60:3965-70. 2000..genetic pathways by which a targeted heterozygous deficiency in the murine 5-cytosine DNA methyltransferase gene (Dnmt1(N/+)) diminishes intestinal tumorigenesis in C57BL/6-multiple intestinal neoplasia (Min)/+ mice...
- Biological functions of DNA methyltransferase 1 require its methyltransferase activityMarc Damelin
Department of Genetics and Development, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, 701 W 168th Street, New York, NY 10032, USA
Mol Cell Biol 27:3891-9. 2007DNA methyltransferase 1 (DNMT1) has been reported to interact with a wide variety of factors and to contain intrinsic transcriptional repressor activity...
- Cloning and sequencing of a cDNA encoding DNA methyltransferase of mouse cells. The carboxyl-terminal domain of the mammalian enzymes is related to bacterial restriction methyltransferasesT Bestor
Department of Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge 02139
J Mol Biol 203:971-83. 1988..The implications of these findings for an understanding of the mechanisms involved in the establishment and maintenance of methylation patterns are discussed...
- Role for DNA methylation in genomic imprintingE Li
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge 02142
Nature 366:362-5. 1993..Our results demonstrate that a normal level of DNA methylation is required for controlling differential expression of the paternal and maternal alleles of imprinted genes...
- De novo DNA cytosine methyltransferase activities in mouse embryonic stem cellsH Lei
Cardiovascular Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital East, Charlestown 02129, USA
Development 122:3195-205. 1996..These results provide the first evidence that an independently encoded DNA methyltransferase is present in mammalian cells which is capable of de novo methylating cellular and viral DNA in vivo...
- Complementation of methylation deficiency in embryonic stem cells by a DNA methyltransferase minigeneK L Tucker
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research, Cambridge, MA, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93:12920-5. 1996..Our results define an amino-terminal domain of the mammalian MTase that is crucial for stable expression and function in vivo.
- New 5' regions of the murine and human genes for DNA (cytosine-5)-methyltransferaseJ A Yoder
Department of Genetics and Development, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Biol Chem 271:31092-7. 1996..Tanigawa, G., and Szyf, M. (1992) J. Biol. Chem. 267, 7368-7377) actually lies in an intron that is more than 5 kilobases downstream of the transcription start sites...
- Peptide mapping of the murine DNA methyltransferase reveals a major phosphorylation site and the start of translationJ F Glickman
Program in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and Department of Chemistry, University of California, Santa Barbara, California 93106, USA
J Biol Chem 272:17851-7. 1997..Our peptide mapping results provide a more detailed structural characterization of the DNA methyltransferase that will facilitate future structure/function studies...
- Baculovirus-mediated expression and characterization of the full-length murine DNA methyltransferaseS Pradhan
New England Biolabs, 32 Tozer Road, Beverly, MA 01915, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 25:4666-73. 1997The original cDNA sequence reported for the murine DNA methyltransferase (MTase) was not full length...
- Transcription of IAP endogenous retroviruses is constrained by cytosine methylationC P Walsh
Nat Genet 20:116-7. 1998
- A short DNA methyltransferase isoform restores methylation in vivoF Gaudet
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research and Department of Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 02142, USA
J Biol Chem 273:32725-9. 1998..While the longer MTase is associated with maintenance methyltransferase activity in replicating cells, little is known about the shorter ..
- DNA methyltransferase Dnmt1 associates with histone deacetylase activityF Fuks
Wellcome CRC Institute, Department of Pathology, Cambridge University, Cambridge, UK
Nat Genet 24:88-91. 2000The DNA methyltransferase Dnmt1 is responsible for cytosine methylation in mammals and has a role in gene silencing...
- One-codon alternative splicing of the CpG MTase Dnmt1 transcript in mouse somatic cellsM J Lin
Institute of Molecular Biology, Academia Sinica, Nankang, Taipei, Taiwan
FEBS Lett 469:101-4. 2000The genomic methylation patterns in the mammalian somatic cells are presumably maintained by a single enzyme, dnmt1. In mouse, this DNA (cytosine-5)-methyltransferase, or CpG MTase, is encoded by the Dnmt1 gene...
- Structure and function of the mouse DNA methyltransferase gene: Dnmt1 shows a tripartite structureJ B Margot
Max Delbruck Center for Molecular Medicine, Berlin, D 13125, Germany
J Mol Biol 297:293-300. 2000b>Dnmt1 is the predominant DNA methyltransferase (MTase) in mammals...
- X inactivation in the mouse embryo deficient for Dnmt1: distinct effect of hypomethylation on imprinted and random X inactivationT Sado
Cardiovascular Research Center, Cancer Center and Department of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts General Hospital East, 149, 13th Street, Charlestown, Massachusetts 02129, USA
Dev Biol 225:294-303. 2000..Using DNA methyltransferase 1 (Dnmt1)-deficient mouse embryos carrying X-linked lacZ transgenes, we studied the effects of genomic demethylation on X ..
- Loss of genomic methylation causes p53-dependent apoptosis and epigenetic deregulationL Jackson-Grusby
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
Nat Genet 27:31-9. 2001..DNA methylation, we have generated mice with a conditional allele for the maintenance DNA methyltransferase gene Dnmt1. Cre-mediated deletion of Dnmt1 causes demethylation of cultured fibroblasts and a uniform p53-dependent cell ..
- The activity of the murine DNA methyltransferase Dnmt1 is controlled by interaction of the catalytic domain with the N-terminal part of the enzyme leading to an allosteric activation of the enzyme after binding to methylated DNAM Fatemi
Institut für Biochemie Fachbereich 8, Justus Liebig Universitat, Heinrich Buff Ring 58, Giessen, 35392, Germany
J Mol Biol 309:1189-99. 2001The mammalian DNA methyltransferase Dnmt1 is responsible for the maintenance of the pattern of DNA methylation in vivo. It is a large multidomain enzyme comprising 1620 amino acid residues...
- Effects of cerebral ischemia in mice lacking DNA methyltransferase 1 in post-mitotic neuronsM Endres
Experimental Neurology, Department of Neurology, Charite Hospital, Humboldt University, Schumannstr 20 21, D 10098 Berlin, Germany
Neuroreport 12:3763-6. 2001DNA methylation is important for controlling gene expression and is catalyzed by DNA methyltransferase (Dnmt1) an enzyme abundant in brain...
- Regulation of stage-specific nuclear translocation of Dnmt1o during preimplantation mouse developmentAdam S Doherty
Department of Biology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia 19104, USA
Dev Biol 242:255-66. 2002..Although the oocyte-specific form of Dnmt1 (Dnmt1o) possesses a functional nuclear localization signal, it is predominantly localized in the cytoplasm of the oocyte ..
- DNA methyltransferase deficiency modifies cancer susceptibility in mice lacking DNA mismatch repairBinh N Trinh
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90089 9176, USA
Mol Cell Biol 22:2906-17. 2002We have introduced DNA methyltransferase 1 (Dnmt1) mutations into a mouse strain deficient for the Mlh1 protein to study the interaction between DNA mismatch repair deficiency and DNA methylation...
- Dynamics of Dnmt1 methyltransferase expression and intracellular localization during oogenesis and preimplantation developmentSarayu Ratnam
Department of Human Genetics, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15260, USA
Dev Biol 245:304-14. 2002..b>Dnmt1o is a variant form of the somatically expressed Dnmt1 cytosine methyltransferase that is synthesized and stored in ..
- In vivo stabilization of the Dnmt1 (cytosine-5)- methyltransferase proteinFeng Ding
Department of Pediatrics, University of Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:14861-6. 2002The Dnmt1o form of the Dnmt1 (cytosine-5)-methyltransferase enzyme is synthesized and stored in the cytoplasm of the oocyte and is used after fertilization to maintain methylation patterns on imprinted genes...
- Abnormal regulation of DNA methyltransferase expression in cloned mouse embryosYoung Gie Chung
The Fels Institute for Cancer Research and Molecular Biology and Department of Biochemistry, Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19140, USA
Biol Reprod 69:146-53. 2003..Additionally, the maternal oocyte-derived Dnmt1o isoform undergoes little or none of its expected translocation to embryonic nuclei at the eight-cell stage...
- Chromosomal instability and tumors promoted by DNA hypomethylationAmir Eden
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Nine Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
Science 300:455. 2003
- Transcription of mouse DNA methyltransferase 1 (Dnmt1) is regulated by both E2F-Rb-HDAC-dependent and -independent pathwaysHiromichi Kimura
Laboratory of Cellular Biochemistry, Department of Animal Resource Sciences Veterinary Medical Sciences, The University of Tokyo, 1 1 1 Yayoi, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8657, Japan
Nucleic Acids Res 31:3101-13. 2003Abnormal expression of Dnmt1 in vivo induces cellular alterations such as transformation, and an increase in Dnmt1 mRNA plays a causal role in c-fos-, ras- and SV40 large T antigen-induced transformation of fibroblasts in vitro...
- Windows for sex-specific methylation marked by DNA methyltransferase expression profiles in mouse germ cellsSophie La Salle
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics and The Montreal Children s Hospital Research Institute, McGill University, Montreal, QC, Canada H3H 1P3
Dev Biol 268:403-15. 2004..We compared the temporal expression patterns of the DNA methyltransferases, DNMT1, DNMT3a, DNMT3b, and DNMT3l in the male and female germ lines...
- Mismatch repair genes identified using genetic screens in Blm-deficient embryonic stem cellsGe Guo
The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Hinxton, Cambridge CB10 1SA, UK
Nature 429:891-5. 2004..We demonstrate the recovery of cells with homozygous mutations in known and novel MMR genes. We identified Dnmt1(ref...
- Severe global DNA hypomethylation blocks differentiation and induces histone hyperacetylation in embryonic stem cellsMelany Jackson
John Hughes Bennett Laboratory, Division of Oncology, School of Molecular and Clinical Medicine, University of Edinburgh, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh EH4 2XU, United Kingdom
Mol Cell Biol 24:8862-71. 2004It has been reported that DNA methyltransferase 1-deficient (Dnmt1-/-) embryonic stem (ES) cells are hypomethylated (20% CpG methylation) and die through apoptosis when induced to differentiate...
- Sex- and tissue-specific expression of maintenance and de novo DNA methyltransferases upon low dose X-irradiation in miceJoe Raiche
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Lethbridge, 4401 University Drive, Lethbridge, Alta, Canada T1K 3M4
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 325:39-47. 2004..In the current study, we examined the radiation-induced changes in expression of maintenance DNMT1, and de novo methyltransferases DNMT3a and DNMT3b in spleen and liver of irradiated animals...
- Stage-by-stage change in DNA methylation status of Dnmt1 locus during mouse early developmentYeoung Gyu Ko
Laboratory of Cellular Biochemistry, Department of Animal Resource Sciences Veterinary Medical Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan 113 8657
J Biol Chem 280:9627-34. 2005..Three isoforms of Dnmt1 (DNA methyltransferase 1) transcripts, Dnmt1s, Dnmt1o, and Dnmt1p, are produced by alternative usage of multiple first exons. Dnmt1s is expressed in somatic cells...
- An N-ethyl-N-nitrosourea screen for genes involved in variegation in the mouseMarnie E Blewitt
School of Molecular and Microbial Biosciences, University of Sydney, Butlin Avenue, New South Wales 2006, Australia
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:7629-34. 2005..The study demonstrates the power of sensitized screens in the mouse not only for the discovery of novel genes involved in a particular process but also for the elucidation of the biology of that process...
- Recruitment of DNA methyltransferase I to DNA repair sitesOliver Mortusewicz
Department of Biology II, Ludwig Maximilians University Munich, 82152 Planegg Martinsried, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:8905-9. 2005..system to introduce DNA lesions at defined subnuclear sites, we tested whether the major DNA methyltransferase (Dnmt1) or one of the two de novo methyltransferases (Dnmt3a, Dnmt3b) are recruited to sites of DNA repair in vivo...
- Restricted mobility of Dnmt1 in preimplantation embryos: implications for epigenetic reprogrammingMaik Grohmann
Department of Biology II, Ludwig Maximilians University Munich, Grosshadernerstr 2, 82152 Planegg Martinsried, Germany
BMC Dev Biol 5:18. 2005..A short isoform of the prevalent maintenance DNA methyltransferase (Dnmt1S) is found in the cytoplasm of preimplantation embryos and transiently enters the nucleus only at the 8-cell stage...
- Opposing effects of DNA hypomethylation on intestinal and liver carcinogenesisYasuhiro Yamada
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Nine Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:13580-5. 2005..Using Dnmt1 hypomorphic alleles to reduce genomic methylation, we observed elevated incidence of microadenomas that were ..
- Methylation of tRNAAsp by the DNA methyltransferase homolog Dnmt2Mary Grace Goll
Department of Genetics and Development, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Science 311:395-8. 2006..Indirect sequence recognition is also a feature of eukaryotic DNA methyltransferases, which may have arisen from a Dnmt2-like RNA methyltransferase...
- Maintenance of self-renewal ability of mouse embryonic stem cells in the absence of DNA methyltransferases Dnmt1, Dnmt3a and Dnmt3bAkiko Tsumura
Laboratory for Mammalian Epigenetic Studies, Center for Developmental Biology, RIKEN, 2 2 3 Minatojima minamimachi, Chuo Ku, Kobe 650 0047, Japan
Genes Cells 11:805-14. 2006DNA methyltransferases Dnmt1, Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b cooperatively regulate cytosine methylation in CpG dinucleotides in mammalian genomes, providing an epigenetic basis for gene silencing and maintenance of genome integrity...
- The amino-terminus of mouse DNA methyltransferase 1 forms an independent domain and binds to DNA with the sequence involving PCNA binding motifIsao Suetake
Institute for Protein Research, Osaka University, 3 2 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871
J Biochem 140:763-76. 2006DNA methylation patterns in genome are maintained during replication by a DNA methyltransferase Dnmt1. Mouse Dnmt1 is a 180 kDa protein comprising the N-terminal regulatory domain, which covers 2/3 of the molecule, and the rest C-..
- Dynamics of Dnmt1 interaction with the replication machinery and its role in postreplicative maintenance of DNA methylationLothar Schermelleh
Ludwig Maximilians University Munich, Department of Biology II, 82152 Martinsried, Germany
Nucleic Acids Res 35:4301-12. 2007..of genomic methylation patterns was proposed to depend largely on the binding of DNA methyltransferase 1 (Dnmt1) to PCNA, a core component of the replication machinery...
- UHRF1 plays a role in maintaining DNA methylation in mammalian cellsMagnolia Bostick
Department of Molecular Cell and Developmental Biology, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Science 317:1760-4. 2007..UHRF1 colocalizes with the maintenance DNA methyltransferase protein DNMT1 throughout S phase. UHRF1 appears to tether DNMT1 to chromatin through its direct interaction with DNMT1...
- DNMT1 interacts with the developmental transcriptional repressor HESX1Ezat Sajedi
Neural Development Unit, Institute of Child Health, University College London, 30 Guilford Street, WC1N 1EH, London, UK
Biochim Biophys Acta 1783:131-43. 2008..molecular function of HESX1, we have performed a yeast two-hybrid screen and identified DNA methyltransferase 1 (DNMT1) as a HESX1 binding protein...
- The SRA protein Np95 mediates epigenetic inheritance by recruiting Dnmt1 to methylated DNAJafar Sharif
Tohoku University Biomedical Engineering Research Organization TUBERO, 2 1 Seiryo machi, Aoba ku, Sendai 980 8575, Japan
Nature 450:908-12. 2007DNA methyltransferase (cytosine-5) 1 (Dnmt1) is the principal enzyme responsible for maintenance of CpG methylation and is essential for the regulation of gene expression, silencing of parasitic DNA elements, genomic imprinting and ..
- Preimplantation expression of the somatic form of Dnmt1 suggests a role in the inheritance of genomic imprintsM Cecilia Cirio
Department of Molecular Genetics and Biochemistry, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
BMC Dev Biol 8:9. 2008..Such maintenance would occur in association with every cycle of DNA replication, including those of preimplantation embryos...
- Dnmt1 deficiency promotes CAG repeat expansion in the mouse germlineVincent Dion
Verna and Marrs McLean Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, USDA Children s Nutrition Research Center, Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Hum Mol Genet 17:1306-17. 2008..Here, we show that the maintenance DNA methyltransferase Dnmt1, which preserves the patterns of CpG methylation, plays a key role in CAG repeat instability in human cells and in ..
- Profound phenotypic variation among mice deficient in the maintenance of genomic imprintsMarc Toppings
McGill University Montreal Children s Hospital Research Institute, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3H 1P3
Hum Reprod 23:807-18. 2008..Here, we examined the consequences of a loss of maintenance methylation at one specific stage of preimplantation, induced by a deficiency of the oocyte-derived Dnmt1o protein and known to produce biallelic expression of imprinted genes.
- Maternal and zygotic Dnmt1 are necessary and sufficient for the maintenance of DNA methylation imprints during preimplantation developmentRyutaro Hirasawa
Division of Human Genetics, Department of Integrated Genetics, National Institute of Genetics, Research Organization of Information and Systems, Mishima 411 8540, Japan
Genes Dev 22:1607-16. 2008..Previous reports suggested that DNA methyltransferase(s) other than Dnmt1 is involved in the maintenance of the imprints during cleavage...
- DNA hypomethylation restricted to the murine forebrain induces cortical degeneration and impairs postnatal neuronal maturationLEAH K HUTNICK
Department of Human Genetics, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California at Los Angeles, 695 Charles Young Drive South, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Hum Mol Genet 18:2875-88. 2009..To understand the role of DNA methylation in central nervous system (CNS) neurons, we generated conditional Dnmt1 mutant mice that possess approximately 90% hypomethylated cortical and hippocampal cells in the dorsal forebrain ..
- Identification of a region of the DNMT1 methyltransferase that regulates the maintenance of genomic imprintsEwa Borowczyk
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:20806-11. 2009..Because the DNMT1 cytosine methyltransferase governs maintenance methylation in mammals, rearrangements of non-DMD, but not DMD ..
- Dnmt1 and Dnmt3a maintain DNA methylation and regulate synaptic function in adult forebrain neuronsJian Feng
Department of Human Genetics, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, USA
Nat Neurosci 13:423-30. 2010b>Dnmt1 and Dnmt3a are important DNA methyltransferases that are expressed in postmitotic neurons, but their function in the CNS is unclear...
- Domain-specific response of imprinted genes to reduced DNMT1Jamie R Weaver
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, CRB 363, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Mol Cell Biol 30:3916-28. 2010..This methylation is critical for imprinting; a reduction in the DNA methyltransferase DNMT1 causes a widespread loss of imprinting...
- Opposing roles of Dnmt1 in early- and late-stage murine prostate cancerShannon R Morey Kinney
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY 14263, USA
Mol Cell Biol 30:4159-74. 2010..Here, we utilized Dnmt1 hypomorphic alleles to examine the role of Dnmt1 in normal prostate development and in prostate cancer in TRAMP...
- Structure of DNMT1-DNA complex reveals a role for autoinhibition in maintenance DNA methylationJikui Song
Structural Biology Program, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10065, USA
Science 331:1036-40. 2011Maintenance of genomic methylation patterns is mediated primarily by DNA methyltransferase-1 (DNMT1)...
- Usp7 and Uhrf1 control ubiquitination and stability of the maintenance DNA methyltransferase Dnmt1Weihua Qin
Department of Biology II, Ludwig Maximilians University Munich, Planegg Martinsried, Germany
J Cell Biochem 112:439-44. 2011In mammals Dnmt1 is the DNA methyltransferase chiefly responsible for maintaining genomic methylation patterns through DNA replication cycles, but how its maintenance activity is controlled is still not well understood...
- Distinct nuclear localization patterns of DNA methyltransferases in developing and mature mammalian retinaIgor O Nasonkin
Neurobiology Neurodegeneration and Repair Laboratory N NRL, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Comp Neurol 519:1914-30. 2011DNA methyltransferases--DNMT1, DNMT3a, and DNMT3b--produce methylation patterns that dynamically regulate chromatin remodeling and gene expression...
- Nuclear receptor SHP inhibition of Dnmt1 expression via ERRγYuxia Zhang
Departments of Medicine and Oncological Sciences, Huntsman Cancer Institute, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, United States
FEBS Lett 585:1269-75. 2011We describe a transcriptional mechanism regulating the expression of Dnmt1 by nuclear receptors...
- DNA methylation and SETDB1/H3K9me3 regulate predominantly distinct sets of genes, retroelements, and chimeric transcripts in mESCsMohammad M Karimi
Department of Medical Genetics, Life Sciences Institute, The University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, V6T 1Z3, Canada
Cell Stem Cell 8:676-87. 2011..H3K9 methyltransferase Setdb1 are distinct from those derepressed in mESC deficient in the DNA methyltransferases Dnmt1, Dnmt3a, and Dnmt3b, with the exception of a small number of primarily germline-specific genes...
- Generalized disruption of inherited genomic imprints leads to wide-ranging placental defects and dysregulated fetal growthK P Himes
Magee Womens Research Institute, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Dev Biol 373:72-82. 2013..we examined conceptuses developing in the absence of maternally derived DNA (cytosine-5-)-methyltransferase 1o (DNMT1o)...
- Loss of DNMT1o disrupts imprinted X chromosome inactivation and accentuates placental defects in femalesSerge McGraw
Departments of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Pediatrics and Human Genetics, Research Institute at The Montreal Children s Hospital of the McGill University Health Centre, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
PLoS Genet 9:e1003873. 2013..methylation patterns during preimplantation development depends on stores of DNA cytosine methyltransferase-1o (DNMT1o) provided by the oocyte...
- Germ-line passage is required for establishment of methylation and expression patterns of imprinted but not of nonimprinted genesK L Tucker
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02142, USA
Genes Dev 10:1008-20. 1996Embryonic stem (ES) cells homozygous for a disruption of the DNA (cytosine-5)-methyltransferase gene (Dnmt) proliferate normally with their DNA highly demethylated but die upon differentiation...
- Genomic imprinting disrupted by a maternal effect mutation in the Dnmt1 geneC Y Howell
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Cell 104:829-38. 2001..Mouse oocytes and preimplantation embryos lack Dnmt1 but express a variant of this protein called Dnmt1o. We eliminated Dnmt1o by deletion of the oocyte-specific promoter and first exon from the Dnmt1 locus...
- Dnmt1 deficiency leads to enhanced microsatellite instability in mouse embryonic stem cellsMyungjin Kim
Department of Surgery, University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine, Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center, Los Angeles, CA 90089 9176, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 32:5742-9. 2004..We have developed a model system to analyze the effects of DNA methyltransferase 1 (Dnmt1) deficiency on DNA mismatch repair (MMR) in mouse embryonic stem (ES) cells...
- De novo methylation of nucleosomal DNA by the mammalian Dnmt1 and Dnmt3A DNA methyltransferasesHumaira Gowher
School of Engineering and Science, International University Bremen, Campus Ring 1, D 28759 Bremen, Germany
Biochemistry 44:9899-904. 2005..We investigated de novo methylation of nucleosomal DNA in vitro and show that the Dnmt3a and Dnmt1 DNA methyltransferases efficiently methylate nucleosomal DNA without dissociation of the histone octamer from the ..
- AUF1 cell cycle variations define genomic DNA methylation by regulation of DNMT1 mRNA stabilityJerome Torrisani
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, McGill University, 3655 Sir William Osler Promenade, Montreal, Quebec H3G 1Y6, Canada
Mol Cell Biol 27:395-410. 2007DNA methylation is a major determinant of epigenetic inheritance. DNA methyltransferase 1 (DNMT1) is the enzyme responsible for the maintenance of DNA methylation patterns during cell division, and deregulated expression of DNMT1 leads ..
- Role of DNA methylation in stable gene repressionLaura Lande-Diner
Department of Cellular Biochemistry and Human Genetics, Hebrew University Medical School, Ein Kerem, 91120 Jerusalem, Israel
J Biol Chem 282:12194-200. 2007..By generating viable Dnmt1(-)(/)(-) mouse cells we have been able to study the effect of DNA methylation on both gene expression and ..
- Maintenance of genomic methylation patterns during preimplantation development requires the somatic form of DNA methyltransferase 1Yukiko Kurihara
Department of Physiological Chemistry and Metabolism, Graduate School of Medicine, The University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
Dev Biol 313:335-46. 2008..development have been identified except for the oocyte form of DNA (cytosine-5)-methyltransferase 1 (Dnmt1o) at the 8-cell stage...
- Sex-specific exons control DNA methyltransferase in mammalian germ cellsC Mertineit
Department of Genetics and Development, College of Physicians and Surgeons at Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Development 125:889-97. 1998..The mRNA for Dnmt1, the predominant maintenance and de novo DNA (cytosine-5)-methyl transferase in mammals, is present at high levels ..
- Expression of an alternative Dnmt1 isoform during muscle differentiationA M Aguirre-Arteta
Max Delbruck Center for Molecular Medicine, Berlin, Germany
Cell Growth Differ 11:551-9. 2000..We identified an alternative Dnmt1 transcript in skeletal muscle by Northern blot analysis and cloned the corresponding cDNA by rapid amplification ..
- Dnmt1 expression in pre- and postimplantation embryogenesis and the maintenance of IAP silencingF Gaudet
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research and Department of Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02142, USA
Mol Cell Biol 24:1640-8. 2004..It has been suggested that the high levels of DNA methyltransferase-1 (Dnmt1) present during cleavage could be important for keeping IAPs methylated...
- No evidence for cumulative effects in a Dnmt3b hypomorph across multiple generationsNeil A Youngson
Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Herston, Brisbane, QLD 4006, Australia
Mamm Genome 24:206-17. 2013..This suggests that in our model the abnormalities are reset each generation and the processes of transgenerational epigenetic reprogramming are effective in preventing their inheritance...
- DNA methyltransferase in normal and Dnmtn/Dnmtn mouse embryosJ M Trasler
Department of Pediatrics, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Dev Dyn 206:239-47. 1996....
- Igf2 imprinting does not require its own DNA methylation or H19 RNAB K Jones
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Department of Molecular Biology, Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey 08544 USA
Genes Dev 12:2200-7. 1998..We conclude that a transcriptional model involving access to a common set of enhancers shared between Igf2 and H19 is the most likely explanation for Igf2 imprinting...
- Parental origin-specific expression of Mash2 is established at the time of implantation with its imprinting mechanism highly resistant to genome-wide demethylationM Tanaka
Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Canada
Mech Dev 87:129-42. 1999..for DNA methylation for the Mash2 imprinting mechanism by crossing our Mash2-lacZ mice with mice mutant for Dnmt1 (DNA-methyltransferase1)...
- Physical and functional interactions between Daxx and DNA methyltransferase 1-associated protein, DMAP1Ryuta Muromoto
Department of Immunology, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan
J Immunol 172:2985-93. 2004..DNA methyltransferase 1 (DNMT1)-associated protein (DMAP1) was identified and demonstrated to interact with Daxx...
- Characterization of Dnmt3b:thymine-DNA glycosylase interaction and stimulation of thymine glycosylase-mediated repair by DNA methyltransferase(s) and RNAMichael J Boland
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198, USA
J Mol Biol 379:492-504. 2008..DNA methylation patterns are established and maintained at CpG dinucleotides by DNA methyltransferases (Dnmt1, Dnmt3a, and Dnmt3b). In mammals and many other eukaryotes, the CpG dinucleotide is underrepresented in the genome...
- Depolarization induces downregulation of DNMT1 and DNMT3a in primary cortical culturesRajiv P Sharma
Department of Psychiatry, The Psychiatric Institute, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Epigenetics 3:74-80. 2008..We examined the expression of DNMT1 and DNMT3a, representative of a maintenance and de novo methyltransferase respectively, in response to in-vitro ..
- Suppressing effects of down-regulating DNMT1 and DNMT3b expression on the growth of human cholangiocarcinoma cell lineShi Zuo
Department of General Surgery, Tongji Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430030, China
J Huazhong Univ Sci Technolog Med Sci 28:276-80. 2008..In order to explore the roles of two methyltransferase members (DNMT1 and DNMT3b) in the cholangiocarcinoma tumorigenesis, antisense eukaryotic expression plasmid of DNMT1 and DNMT3b ..
- Nicotine decreases DNA methyltransferase 1 expression and glutamic acid decarboxylase 67 promoter methylation in GABAergic interneuronsR Satta
Psychiatric Institute, Department of Psychiatry, University of Illinois, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:16356-61. 2008..in GABAergic neurons, and (iii) the down-regulation of reelin and GAD(67) expression caused by the increase of DNMT1-mediated hypermethylation of promoters in GABAergic interneurons of the telencephalon. Nicotine (4...
- The lysine demethylase LSD1 (KDM1) is required for maintenance of global DNA methylationJing Wang
Epigenetics Program, Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Nat Genet 41:125-9. 2009..This loss correlates with a decrease in DNA methyltransferase 1 (Dnmt1) protein, as a result of reduced Dnmt1 stability...
- DNA methyltransferase 1 is essential for and uniquely regulates hematopoietic stem and progenitor cellsJennifer J Trowbridge
Department of Pediatric Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute and Division of Hematology Oncology, Children s Hospital Boston, Harvard Stem Cell Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Cell Stem Cell 5:442-9. 2009DNA methylation is essential for development and in diverse biological processes. The DNA methyltransferase Dnmt1 maintains parental cell methylation patterns on daughter DNA strands in mitotic cells; however, the precise role of Dnmt1 ..
- Epigenetic alterations regulate estradiol-induced enhancement of memory consolidationZaorui Zhao
Department of Psychology and Interdepartmental Neuroscience Program, Yale University, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:5605-10. 2010..Further, intrahippocampal inhibition of ERK activation or DNA methyltransferase (DNMT) activity blocked the memory-enhancing effects of E(2)...
- Targeting of 5-aza-2'-deoxycytidine residues by chromatin-associated DNMT1 induces proteasomal degradation of the free enzymeKatan Patel
Breakthrough Research Unit, Institute of Genetics and Molecular Medicine, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK
Nucleic Acids Res 38:4313-24. 2010..Here we show that 5-aza-dC induces the proteasomal degradation of free (non-chromatin bound) DNMT1 through a mechanism which is dependent on DNA synthesis and the targeting of incorporated 5-aza-dC residues by ..
- DNA methylase and demethylase activities are modulated by one-carbon metabolism in Alzheimer's disease modelsAndrea Fuso
Department of Surgery P Valdoni, Sapienza University of Rome, P le Aldo Moro, 5 00185, Rome, Italy
J Nutr Biochem 22:242-51. 2011..We found that DNA methylases (DNMT1, 3a and 3b) and a putative demethylase (MBD2) were differently modulated, in line with the previously observed ..
- Loss of methylation activates Xist in somatic but not in embryonic cellsC Beard
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge 02142, USA
Genes Dev 9:2325-34. 1995..These results suggest that methylation may only become essential for Xist repression after ES cells have differentiated or after the embryo has undergone gastrulation...
- Expression of T:G mismatch-specific thymidine-DNA glycosylase and DNA methyl transferase genes during development and tumorigenesisK Niederreither
Institut de Genetique et de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, CNRS INSERM ULP College de France, Illkirch, C U de Strasbourg
Oncogene 17:1577-85. 1998..This pattern of expression strongly correlated with those of the methyl transferase (MTase) gene, coding for the enzyme which specifically methylates CpG dinucleotides, and the p53 tumour suppressor gene...
- X-chromosome inactivation: lessons from transgenic miceL V Pereira
Depto Biologia, Instituto de Biociencias, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Gene 255:363-71. 2000..In this review, we describe recent experiments aimed at understanding the first events of XCI and propose a model for initiation of XCI...
- A critical role for Dnmt1 and DNA methylation in T cell development, function, and survivalP P Lee
Department of Immunology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Immunity 15:763-74. 2001The role of DNA methylation and of the maintenance DNA methyltransferase Dnmt1 in the epigenetic regulation of developmental stage- and cell lineage-specific gene expression in vivo is uncertain...
- Expression of DNA methyltransferase (Dnmt1) in testicular germ cells during development of mouse embryoY Sakai
Department of Anatomy, Kitasato University School of Medicine, Sagamihara, Japan
Cell Struct Funct 26:685-91. 2001..In female germ cells, the short-form DNA methyltransferase Dnmt1, which is an alternative isoform specifically expressed in growing oocytes, plays a crucial role in maintaining ..
- The Role of MicroRNA in HepatocarcinogenesisKalpana Ghoshal; Fiscal Year: 2007..Further, this proposal fits well with the mission/goals set forth by multiple institutes that include NCI, NIDDK and NIAAA n the etiology, prevention and treatment of hepatocellular carcinomas. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MARKERS FOR LUNG CARCINOGENESIS IN BRONCHIAL EPITHELIUMSteven Belinsky; Fiscal Year: 2001..f., simply markers of exposure) and help identify genetic alterations that are candidate markers of respiratory carcinogenesis. ..
- FUNCTION OF SEX SPECIFIC EXONS IN DNMT1 GENETimothy Bestor; Fiscal Year: 2002..b>Dnmt1, the predominant DNA (cytosine-5)-methyltransferase of mammals, is involved in both the establishment and ..
- NOVEL DNA METHYLTRANSFERASES IN DEVELOPMENT AND DISEASETimothy Bestor; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Methylation Landscape of the Human GenomeTimothy Bestor; Fiscal Year: 2003..The impending completion of the sequence of the human genome presents a unique opportunity to gain understanding of the shape of genomic methylation patterns and their role in human development and disease. ..
- Gene Methylation and Therapeutic Response in Lung CancerSteven Belinsky; Fiscal Year: 2005..The validation of these genes as biomarkers of lung cancer risk and their detection in sputum and/or serum could ultimately support chemoprevention trials for preventing lung cancer. ..
- Enigmatic Mammalian DNA Methyltransferase HomologueTimothy Bestor; Fiscal Year: 2006..We will perform biochemical and genetic experiments that will determine the biological functions of Dnmt2 in normal cells, and will determine whether the Dnmt2 gene is altered in neoplastic diseases of humans. ..
- DNA methylation in Neuronal and Glial DifferentiationGuoping Fan; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed study may provide fundamental insights into the role of DNA methylation in neural development as well as the disease mechanism underlying certain mental retardation disorders. ..
- Silencing of transposons in mammalian germ cellsTimothy Bestor; Fiscal Year: 2008..The studies described here are almost certain to identify factors that regulate de novo methylation in the male germ line. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- High throughput profiling of genomic methylation patternsTimothy Bestor; Fiscal Year: 2008..We introduce new technologies that will profile the methylation pattern of the entire genome as a means to identify methylation pattern abnormalities that are associated with human breast cancer. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- TUMOR SUPPRESSOR GENE METHYLATION IN LUNG ADENOCARCINOMASteven A Belinsky; Fiscal Year: 2010..While our own studies have demonstrated an important role for DNMT1 in lung cancer development, the contribution of DNMT3a and 3b has not been clearly substantiated...