Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Dnmt3a
Description: DNA methyltransferase 3A
Alias: MmuIIIA, DNA (cytosine-5)-methyltransferase 3A, DNA MTase MmuIIIA, DNA methyltransferase MmuIIIA
Publications119 found, 100 shown here
- The orphan nuclear receptor GCNF recruits DNA methyltransferase for Oct-3/4 silencingNoriko Sato
Cytokine Project, The Tokyo Metropolitan Institute of Medical Science, 3 18 22 Honkomagome, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8613, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 344:845-51. 2006..Our finding suggests a model in which differentiation-induced GCNF recruits de novo DNA methyltransferase and facilitates the silencing of a pluripotency gene...
- Cloning and characterization of a family of novel mammalian DNA (cytosine-5) methyltransferasesM Okano
Nat Genet 19:219-20. 1998
- DNA methyltransferases Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b are essential for de novo methylation and mammalian developmentM Okano
Cardiovascular Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Department of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Charlestown 02129, USA
Cell 99:247-57. 1999..Here we demonstrate that two recently identified DNA methyltransferases, Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b, are essential for de novo methylation and for mouse development...
- Dnmt3a binds deacetylases and is recruited by a sequence-specific repressor to silence transcriptionF Fuks
Wellcome CRC Institute and Department of Pathology, Cambridge University, Tennis Court Road, Cambridge CB2 1QR, UK
EMBO J 20:2536-44. 2001The Dnmt3a DNA methyltransferase is essential for mammalian development and is responsible for the generation of genomic methylation patterns, which lead to transcriptional silencing...
- Enzymatic properties of recombinant Dnmt3a DNA methyltransferase from mouse: the enzyme modifies DNA in a non-processive manner and also methylates non-CpG [correction of non-CpA] sitesH Gowher
Institut für Biochemie Fachbereich 8, Justus Liebig Universitat, Heinrich Buff Ring 58, Giessen, 35392, Germany
J Mol Biol 309:1201-8. 2001..b>Dnmt3a from mouse was cloned and expressed in Escherichia coli. It was shown to be catalytically active in E...
- Preferential methylation of unmethylated DNA by Mammalian de novo DNA methyltransferase Dnmt3aTomoki Yokochi
Epigenetic Gene Regulation and Cancer Section, Laboratory of Receptor Biology and Gene Expression, NCI, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Biol Chem 277:11735-45. 2002..Although previous studies on DNMT3a and -3b revealed that they act as functional enzymes during development, there is little biochemical evidence ..
- Molecular enzymology of the catalytic domains of the Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b DNA methyltransferasesHumaira Gowher
Institut fur Biochemie, FB 8, Justus Liebig Universitat, Heinrich Buff Ring 58, 35392 Giessen, Germany
J Biol Chem 277:20409-14. 2002The C-terminal domains of the mammalian DNA methyltransferases Dnmt1, Dnmt3a, and Dnmt3b harbor all the conserved motifs characteristic for cytosine-C5 methyltransferases...
- Dnmt3L cooperates with the Dnmt3 family of de novo DNA methyltransferases to establish maternal imprints in miceKenichiro Hata
Cardiovascular Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Department of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, 149 13th Street, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
Development 129:1983-93. 2002..In this study, we demonstrate that Dnmt3L, a protein sharing homology with DNA methyltransferases, Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b, but lacking enzymatic activity, is essential for the establishment of maternal methylation imprints ..
- A novel Dnmt3a isoform produced from an alternative promoter localizes to euchromatin and its expression correlates with active de novo methylationTaiping Chen
Cardiovascular Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Department of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Charlestown, Massachusetts 02129, USA
J Biol Chem 277:38746-54. 2002..However, only one form of Dnmt3a has been identified to date...
- Stage- and cell-specific expression of Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b during embryogenesisDaisuke Watanabe
Institute of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Osaka University, 1 3 Yamadaoka, Suita, Japan
Mech Dev 118:187-90. 2002DNA methylation is essential for development. Two DNA methyltransferases, Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b, contribute to the creation of DNA methylation patterns in embryos...
- DNA methylation density influences the stability of an epigenetic imprint and Dnmt3a/b-independent de novo methylationMatthew C Lorincz
Division of Basic Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98109, USA
Mol Cell Biol 22:7572-80. 2002..The DNA methyltransferases (MTases) Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b are thought to be the sole de novo MTases in the mammalian genome...
- Distinct enzymatic properties of recombinant mouse DNA methyltransferases Dnmt3a and Dnmt3bIsao Suetake
Institute for Protein Research, Osaka University, 3 2 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871
J Biochem 133:737-44. 2003Recombinant mouse Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b were expressed in sf9 cells and purified to near homogeneity. The purified Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b gave specific activities of 1.8 +/- 0.3 and 1.3 +/- 0...
- Establishment and maintenance of genomic methylation patterns in mouse embryonic stem cells by Dnmt3a and Dnmt3bTaiping Chen
Cutaneous Biology Research Center and Cardiovascular Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Charlestown, Massachusetts 02129, USA
Mol Cell Biol 23:5594-605. 2003We have previously shown that the DNA methyltransferases Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b carry out de novo methylation of the mouse genome during early postimplantation development and of maternally imprinted genes in the oocyte...
- Gene-specific timing and epigenetic memory in oocyte imprintingDiana Lucifero
McGill University, Montreal Children s Hospital Research Institute and Departments of Pediatrics, Human Genetics and Pharmacology and Therapeutics, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3H 1P3
Hum Mol Genet 13:839-49. 2004..show that methylation acquisition was probably related to oocyte diameter and coincided with the accumulation of Dnmt3a, Dnmt3b and Dnmt3L transcripts...
- Windows for sex-specific methylation marked by DNA methyltransferase expression profiles in mouse germ cellsSophie La Salle
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics and The Montreal Children s Hospital Research Institute, McGill University, Montreal, QC, Canada H3H 1P3
Dev Biol 268:403-15. 2004..We compared the temporal expression patterns of the DNA methyltransferases, DNMT1, DNMT3a, DNMT3b, and DNMT3l in the male and female germ lines...
- Essential role for de novo DNA methyltransferase Dnmt3a in paternal and maternal imprintingMasahiro Kaneda
Division of Human Genetics, Department of Integrated Genetics, National Institute of Genetics, Research Organization of Information and Systems, Mishima 411 8540, Japan
Nature 429:900-3. 2004..de novo DNA methyltransferases of the Dnmt3 family are implicated in maternal imprinting, the lethality of Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b knockout mice has precluded further studies...
- Severe global DNA hypomethylation blocks differentiation and induces histone hyperacetylation in embryonic stem cellsMelany Jackson
John Hughes Bennett Laboratory, Division of Oncology, School of Molecular and Clinical Medicine, University of Edinburgh, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh EH4 2XU, United Kingdom
Mol Cell Biol 24:8862-71. 2004..This demonstrates that successful terminal differentiation is not dependent simply on adequate methylation levels. There is an absolute requirement that the methylation be delivered by the maintenance enzyme Dnmt1...
- The PWWP domain of Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b is required for directing DNA methylation to the major satellite repeats at pericentric heterochromatinTaiping Chen
Cardiovascular Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Charlestown, MA, USA
Mol Cell Biol 24:9048-58. 2004b>Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b are responsible for the establishment of DNA methylation patterns during development...
- Expression of Dnmt3b in mouse hematopoietic progenitor cells and spermatogonia at specific stagesDaisuke Watanabe
Molecular Embryology, Department of Bioscience, Kitasato University, 1 15 1 Kitasato, Sagamihara, Kanagawa 228 8555, Japan
Gene Expr Patterns 5:43-9. 2004Two de novo-type DNA methyltransferases, Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b, are responsible for the creation of DNA methylation patterns during development...
- Co-expression of de novo DNA methyltransferases Dnmt3a2 and Dnmt3L in gonocytes of mouse embryosYasuhiro Sakai
Department of Anatomy, Kitasato University School of Medicine, Sagamihara 228 8555, Japan
Gene Expr Patterns 5:231-7. 2004..In the present study, we examined which de novo-type DNA methyltransferase, Dnmt3a, Dnmt3a2 or Dnmt3b is expressed in gonocytes at these stages...
- Myc represses transcription through recruitment of DNA methyltransferase corepressorCarmen Brenner
Free University of Brussels, Faculty of Medicine, Laboratory of Molecular Virology, Brussels, Belgium
EMBO J 24:336-46. 2005..Here we show that Myc binds the corepressor Dnmt3a and associates with DNA methyltransferase activity in vivo...
- Mechanism of stimulation of catalytic activity of Dnmt3A and Dnmt3B DNA-(cytosine-C5)-methyltransferases by Dnmt3LHumaira Gowher
International University Bremen, School of Engineering and Science, Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
J Biol Chem 280:13341-8. 2005..We show here that Dnmt3L stimulates the catalytic activity of the Dnmt3A and Dnmt3B enzymes by directly binding to their respective catalytic domains via its own C-terminal domain...
- Dynamic expression of de novo DNA methyltransferases Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b in the central nervous systemJian Feng
Department of Human Genetics, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
J Neurosci Res 79:734-46. 2005..the role of DNA methylation in the brain, we examined the expression pattern of de novo DNA methyltransferases Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b in the mouse central nervous system (CNS)...
- De novo DNA methyltransferases Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b primarily mediate the cytotoxic effect of 5-aza-2'-deoxycytidineMasahiro Oka
Department of Pathology, University of Florida College of Medicine, PO Box 100275, 1600 SW Archer Rd, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Oncogene 24:3091-9. 2005..Of interest, Dnmt3a-Dnmt3b double null ES cells were highly resistant to 5-aza-dC when compared to wild type, Dnmt3a null, Dnmt3b null,..
- DNA methyltransferase expression in the mouse germ line during periods of de novo methylationDiane J Lees-Murdock
Cancer and Ageing Research Group, School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Ulster, Coleraine, United Kingdom
Dev Dyn 232:992-1002. 2005..Use of an alternative promoter at the Dnmt3a locus produces the shorter Dnmt3a2 transcript in the germ line and postimplantation embryo only, whereas ..
- Inactivation of Dnmt3b in mouse embryonic fibroblasts results in DNA hypomethylation, chromosomal instability, and spontaneous immortalizationJonathan E Dodge
Cardiovascular Research Center and Cancer Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Charlestown, Massachusetts 02129, USA
J Biol Chem 280:17986-91. 2005..In this study, we have investigated how targeted disruption of the DNA methyltransferases Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b affects the growth of mouse embryonic fibroblasts (MEFs). Our studies led to the following observations...
- Lsh is involved in de novo methylation of DNAHeming Zhu
Laboratory of Cancer Prevention, SAIC FCRDC, Basic Research Program, National Cancer Institute, Frederick, MD 21701 1201, USA
EMBO J 25:335-45. 2006..by Dnmt1 occurring at the replication fork, and de novo methylation established by the methyltransferases Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b...
- CpG sites preferentially methylated by Dnmt3a in vivoMasahiro Oka
Department of Pathology, Department of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology, University of Florida College of Medicine, 1600 SW Archer Road, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
J Biol Chem 281:9901-8. 2006b>Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b are two major de novo DNA methyltransferases essential for embryonic development in mammals...
- Roles for Dnmt3b in mammalian development: a mouse model for the ICF syndromeYoshihide Ueda
Cardiovascular Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 149 13th Street, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
Development 133:1183-92. 2006..These mutant mice will be useful for further elucidation of the pathogenic and molecular mechanisms underlying ICF syndrome...
- DNA methyltransferases control telomere length and telomere recombination in mammalian cellsSusana Gonzalo
Telomeres and Telomerase Group, Molecular Oncology Program, Spanish National Cancer Centre CNIO, Madrid E 28029, Spain
Nat Cell Biol 8:416-24. 2006..Mouse embryonic stem (ES) cells genetically deficient for DNMT1, or both DNMT3a and DNMT3b have dramatically elongated telomeres compared with wild-type controls...
- Dynamic expression of DNMT3a and DNMT3b isoforms during male germ cell development in the mouseSophie La Salle
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, and Montreal Children s Hospital Research Institute, McGill University, Montreal, QC, Canada H3H 1P3
Dev Biol 296:71-82. 2006..We compared the temporal expression patterns of the postulated de novo DNA methyltransferases DNMT3a and DNMT3b in murine male germ cells...
- Maintenance of self-renewal ability of mouse embryonic stem cells in the absence of DNA methyltransferases Dnmt1, Dnmt3a and Dnmt3bAkiko Tsumura
Laboratory for Mammalian Epigenetic Studies, Center for Developmental Biology, RIKEN, 2 2 3 Minatojima minamimachi, Chuo Ku, Kobe 650 0047, Japan
Genes Cells 11:805-14. 2006DNA methyltransferases Dnmt1, Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b cooperatively regulate cytosine methylation in CpG dinucleotides in mammalian genomes, providing an epigenetic basis for gene silencing and maintenance of genome integrity...
- Dnmt3a2 targets endogenous Dnmt3L to ES cell chromatin and induces regional DNA methylationKeisuke Nimura
Division of Gene Therapy Science, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, 2 2 Yamada oka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Genes Cells 11:1225-37. 2006..Rather, in vitro analysis indicates that Dnmt3L stimulates DNA methylation by both Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b through direct binding to these proteins...
- Coordinate regulation of DNA methyltransferase expression during oogenesisDiana Lucifero
Montreal Children s Hospital Research Institute and Department of Pediatrics, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
BMC Dev Biol 7:36. 2007..Here we report the expression dynamics of Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b, as well as a regulator of DNA methylation, Dnmt3L, in isolated female germ cells.
- Role of the Dnmt3 family in de novo methylation of imprinted and repetitive sequences during male germ cell development in the mouseYuzuru Kato
Department of Integrated Genetics, National Institute of Genetics, Mishima, Shizuoka, Japan
Hum Mol Genet 16:2272-80. 2007..Furthermore, we have examined the roles of the de novo methyltransferases (Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b) and related protein (Dnmt3L) in this process...
- Synergistic function of DNA methyltransferases Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b in the methylation of Oct4 and NanogJing Yu Li
State Key Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Institute of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 200031, People s Republic of China
Mol Cell Biol 27:8748-59. 2007DNA methylation plays an important role in gene silencing in mammals. Two de novo methyltransferases, Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b, are required for the establishment of genomic methylation patterns in development...
- The SRA protein Np95 mediates epigenetic inheritance by recruiting Dnmt1 to methylated DNAJafar Sharif
Tohoku University Biomedical Engineering Research Organization TUBERO, 2 1 Seiryo machi, Aoba ku, Sendai 980 8575, Japan
Nature 450:908-12. 2007..The link between hemi-methylated DNA, Np95 and Dnmt1 thus establishes key steps of the mechanism for epigenetic inheritance of DNA methylation...
- Mapping of protein-protein interaction sites by the 'absence of interference' approachArunkumar Dhayalan
Biochemistry Laboratory, School of Engineering and Science, Jacobs University Bremen, Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
J Mol Biol 376:1091-9. 2008..We applied the approach to map the interface of the catalytic domain of the DNA methyltransferase Dnmt3a with its regulatory factor Dnmt3L. Dnmt3a was randomized with high mutational load...
- DNA methylation of retrotransposon genes is regulated by Piwi family members MILI and MIWI2 in murine fetal testesSatomi Kuramochi-Miyagawa
Department of Pathology, Medical School, Graduate School of Frontier Biosciences, Research Institute for Microbial Diseases, Osaka University, Yamada oka 2 2 Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Genes Dev 22:908-17. 2008..Our data strongly suggest that MILI and MIWI2 play essential roles in establishing de novo DNA methylation of retrotransposons in fetal male germ cells...
- Maternal and zygotic Dnmt1 are necessary and sufficient for the maintenance of DNA methylation imprints during preimplantation developmentRyutaro Hirasawa
Division of Human Genetics, Department of Integrated Genetics, National Institute of Genetics, Research Organization of Information and Systems, Mishima 411 8540, Japan
Genes Dev 22:1607-16. 2008..Here we demonstrate, by using conditional knockout mice, that the other known DNA methyltransferases Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b are dispensable for the maintenance of the methylation marks at most imprinted loci...
- Mouse Dnmt3a preferentially methylates linker DNA and is inhibited by histone H1Hideyuki Takeshima
Institute for Protein Research, Osaka University, 3 2 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
J Mol Biol 383:810-21. 2008..The DNA methylation patterns are created by de novo-type DNA methyltransferases (Dnmts) 3a and 3b. Dnmt3a is crucial for global methylation, including that of imprinted genes in germ cells...
- Formation of nucleoprotein filaments by mammalian DNA methyltransferase Dnmt3a in complex with regulator Dnmt3LRenata Z Jurkowska
Biochemistry Lab, School of Engineering and Science, Jacobs University Bremen, Bremen, Germany
Nucleic Acids Res 36:6656-63. 2008The C-terminal domains of Dnmt3a and Dnmt3L form elongated heterotetramers (3L-3a-3a-3L). Analytical ultracentrifugation confirmed the Dnmt3a-C/3L-C complex exists as a 2:2 heterotetramer in solution...
- De novo DNA methylation promoted by G9a prevents reprogramming of embryonically silenced genesSilvina Epsztejn-Litman
Department of Experimental Medicine and Cellular Biochemistry, Hebrew University Medical School, Ein Kerem, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
Nat Struct Mol Biol 15:1176-83. 2008..that G9a itself is capable of bringing about de novo methylation through its ankyrin domain, by recruiting Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b independently of its histone methyltransferase activity...
- KDM1B is a histone H3K4 demethylase required to establish maternal genomic imprintsDavid N Ciccone
Epigenetics Program, Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research, 250 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Nature 461:415-8. 2009..imprints are established in male and female germ cells during gametogenesis, and the de novo DNA methyltransferase DNMT3A and its cofactor DNMT3L are required in this process...
- DNA demethylation in hormone-induced transcriptional derepressionMi Sun Kim
ERATO, Japan Science and Technology Agency, 4 1 8 Honcho, Kawaguchisi, Saitama 332 0012, Japan
Nature 461:1007-12. 2009..Thus, the present findings suggest that methylation switching at the DNA level contributes to the hormonal control of transcription...
- CG dinucleotide periodicities recognized by the Dnmt3a-Dnmt3L complex are distinctive at retroelements and imprinted domainsJacob L Glass
Department of Genetics Computational Genetics, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, 1301 Morris Park Avenue, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Mamm Genome 20:633-43. 2009The Dnmt3a and Dnmt3L genes are critical mediators of cytosine methylation during gametogenesis, with major actions noted at transposable elements and imprinted loci...
- Dnmt1 and Dnmt3a maintain DNA methylation and regulate synaptic function in adult forebrain neuronsJian Feng
Department of Human Genetics, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, USA
Nat Neurosci 13:423-30. 2010Dnmt1 and Dnmt3a are important DNA methyltransferases that are expressed in postmitotic neurons, but their function in the CNS is unclear...
- The Dnmt3a PWWP domain reads histone 3 lysine 36 trimethylation and guides DNA methylationArunkumar Dhayalan
Biochemistry Laboratory, School of Engineering and Science, Jacobs University Bremen, Bremen, Germany
J Biol Chem 285:26114-20. 2010The Dnmt3a DNA methyltransferase contains in its N-terminal part a PWWP domain that is involved in chromatin targeting...
- Dnmt3a-dependent nonpromoter DNA methylation facilitates transcription of neurogenic genesHao Wu
Department of Molecular and Medical Pharmacology, University of California Los Angeles UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Science 329:444-8. 2010..Here we show that the de novo DNA methyltransferase Dnmt3a is expressed in postnatal neural stem cells (NSCs) and is required for neurogenesis...
- Dnmt3a regulates emotional behavior and spine plasticity in the nucleus accumbensQuincey LaPlant
Fishberg Department of Neuroscience, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York, USA
Nat Neurosci 13:1137-43. 2010..We found that Dnmt3a expression was regulated in mouse nucleus accumbens (NAc) by chronic cocaine use and chronic social defeat stress...
- Targets and dynamics of promoter DNA methylation during early mouse developmentJulie Borgel
Institute of Molecular Genetics, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique CNRS UMR 5535, Universite Montpellier 2, Universite Montpellier 1, Montpellier, France
Nat Genet 42:1093-100. 2010..Finally, we identify nonimprinted genes that inherit promoter DNA methylation from parental gametes, suggesting that escape of post-fertilization DNA methylation reprogramming is prevalent in the mouse genome...
- Dnmt3a1 upregulates transcription of distinct genes and targets chromosomal gene clusters for epigenetic silencing in mouse embryonic stem cellsAndriana G Kotini
National and Kapodistrian University of Athens Medical School, Athens, Greece
Mol Cell Biol 31:1577-92. 2011..Our findings suggest that Dnmt3a1 positively affects transcription of specific genes at the promoter level and targets chromosomal domains to epigenetically silence gene clusters in mESCs...
- DNA methylation and SETDB1/H3K9me3 regulate predominantly distinct sets of genes, retroelements, and chimeric transcripts in mESCsMohammad M Karimi
Department of Medical Genetics, Life Sciences Institute, The University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, V6T 1Z3, Canada
Cell Stem Cell 8:676-87. 2011..Setdb1 are distinct from those derepressed in mESC deficient in the DNA methyltransferases Dnmt1, Dnmt3a, and Dnmt3b, with the exception of a small number of primarily germline-specific genes...
- Deletion of the de novo DNA methyltransferase Dnmt3a promotes lung tumor progressionQing Gao
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:18061-6. 2011..De novo methylation is mediated by the de novo methyltransferases Dnmt3a and 3b, but only Dnmt3b has been implicated in promoting cancer by silencing of tumor-suppressor genes...
- Dnmt3a is essential for hematopoietic stem cell differentiationGrant A Challen
Stem Cells and Regenerative Medicine Center, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
Nat Genet 44:23-31. 2011Loss of the de novo DNA methyltransferases Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b in embryonic stem cells obstructs differentiation; however, the role of these enzymes in somatic stem cells is largely unknown...
- Chromatin targeting of de novo DNA methyltransferases by the PWWP domainYing Zi Ge
State Key Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Institute of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai, China
J Biol Chem 279:25447-54. 2004..Two de novo DNA methyltransferases, Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b, are responsible for the process...
- Mammalian DNA cytosine-5 methyltransferase interacts with p23 proteinX Zhang
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
FEBS Lett 392:179-83. 1996..Here we report an interaction between the C-terminal catalytic domain of the MTase and p23, a protein previously reported to associate with the progesterone receptor (PR) complex...
- Expression of DNA methyltransferases in the mouse uterus during early pregnancy and susceptibility to dietary folate deficiencyY B Ding
Department of Reproductive Biology, Chongqing Medical University, Box 197, No 1 Yixueyuan Road, Chongqing 400016, People s Republic of China
Reproduction 144:91-100. 2012..Within endometrial cells, expressions of DNMT (cytosine-5) 1 (Dnmt1), Dnmt3a, and Dnmt3b were significantly elevated during the prereceptive phase of pregnancy but generally returned to ..
- In vivo control of CpG and non-CpG DNA methylation by DNA methyltransferasesJulia Arand
Department of Biological Sciences, Institute of Genetics Epigenetics, University of Saarland, Saarbrucken, Germany
PLoS Genet 8:e1002750. 2012..Moreover, non-CpG cytosine methylation is confined to ESCs and exclusively catalysed by Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b...
- miR-370 is stage-specifically expressed during mouse embryonic development and regulates Dnmt3aLiu Qi
School of Life Science and Biotechnology, Harbin Institute of Technology, No 92 West Da Zhi Street, Harbin, Heilongjian 150001, China
FEBS Lett 587:775-81. 2013..In addition, through luciferase reporter assays and western blot analyses, DNA methyltransferase 3A (Dnmt3a) was identified as a directly regulated target of miR-370...
- Regulation of lineage specific DNA hypomethylation in mouse trophectodermMasaaki Oda
Epigenetics Programme, The Babraham Institute, Cambridge, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 8:e68846. 2013..Embryonic lineage cells re-acquire a highly methylated genome dependent on the DNA methyltransferases (DNMTs) Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b that are required for de novo methylation...
- Reduced levels of two modifiers of epigenetic gene silencing, Dnmt3a and Trim28, cause increased phenotypic noiseNadia C Whitelaw
Genetics and Population Health, Queensland Institute of Medical Research, 300 Herston Road, Brisbane, Queensland 4006, Australia
Genome Biol 11:R111. 2010..Here we show that two modifiers of epigenetic gene silencing play a critical role in the process...
- Auto-methylation of the mouse DNA-(cytosine C5)-methyltransferase Dnmt3a at its active site cysteine residueAbu Nasar Siddique
Biochemistry Laboratory, School of Engineering and Science, Jacobs University Bremen, Germany
FEBS J 278:2055-63. 2011The Dnmt3a DNA methyltransferase is responsible for establishing DNA methylation patterns during mammalian development...
- Epigenetic regulation of motor neuron cell death through DNA methylationBarry A Chestnut
Division of Neuropathology, Department of Pathology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205 2196, USA
J Neurosci 31:16619-36. 2011..We tested the hypothesis that Dnmts can mediate neuronal cell death. Enforced expression of Dnmt3a induced degeneration of cultured NSC34 cells...
- Ascorbic acid prevents loss of Dlk1-Dio3 imprinting and facilitates generation of all-iPS cell mice from terminally differentiated B cellsMatthias Stadtfeld
Massachusetts General Hospital Center for Regenerative Medicine, Harvard Stem Cell Institute, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Nat Genet 44:398-405, S1-2. 2012..Dlk1-Dio3 by enabling a chromatin configuration that interferes with binding of the de novo DNA methyltransferase Dnmt3a. This approach allowed us to generate all-iPSC mice from mature B cells, which have until now failed to support ..
- DNA methylation in cognition comes of ageSusan C Su
Picower Institute for Learning and Memory, Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
Nat Neurosci 15:1061-2. 2012..A study reveals that aged mice have decreased hippocampal expression of the DNA methyltransferase Dnmt3a2; re-expression in aged mice reverses memory deficits, and knockdown in young mice impairs memory formation...
- Probing murine methyltransfease Dnmt3a interactions with benzo[a]pyrene-modified DNA by fluorescence methodsAntonio S Minero
Department of Chemistry, Moscow State University, Moscow, Russia
FEBS J 279:3965-80. 2012..or adenine (B[a]PDE-N(6)-dA) adducts of different conformations as substrates of the catalytic domain of murine Dnmt3a (Dnmt3a-CD). The fluorescence of these lesions was used to examine interactions between Dnmt3a-CD and DNA...
- Superovulation induces defective methylation in line-1 retrotransposon elements in blastocystXing Wei Liang
Department of Animal Sciences, Chungbuk National University, Cheongju 361 763, South Korea
Reprod Biol Endocrinol 11:69. 2013..The purpose of this study was to investigate whether defects in methylation patterns in blastocyst due to superovulation originate from abnormal expression of Dnmts...
- The DNMT3B DNA methyltransferase gene is mutated in the ICF immunodeficiency syndromeR S Hansen
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96:14412-7. 1999..None of the mutations were found in over 200 normal chromosomes. We conclude that mutations in the DNMT3B are responsible for the ICF syndrome...
- Biochemical fractionation reveals association of DNA methyltransferase (Dnmt) 3b with Dnmt1 and that of Dnmt 3a with a histone H3 methyltransferase and Hdac1Jharna Datta
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, College of Medicine, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
J Cell Biochem 88:855-64. 2003De novo DNA methyltransferases, Dnmt3a and 3b, were purified by fractionation of S-100 extract from mouse lymphosarcoma cells through several chromatographic matrices followed by glycerol density gradient centrifugation...
- Preference of DNA methyltransferases for CpG islands in mouse embryonic stem cellsNaka Hattori
Laboratory of Cellular Biochemistry, Animal Resource Sciences Veterinary Medical Sciences, Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo 113 8657, Japan
Genome Res 14:1733-40. 2004..of the genomic components, we investigated the genome-wide DNA methylation pattern of the T-DMRs with Dnmt1-, Dnmt3a-, and/or Dnmt3b-deficient ES cells by restriction landmark genomic scanning (RLGS)...
- Sex- and tissue-specific expression of maintenance and de novo DNA methyltransferases upon low dose X-irradiation in miceJoe Raiche
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Lethbridge, 4401 University Drive, Lethbridge, Alta, Canada T1K 3M4
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 325:39-47. 2004..we examined the radiation-induced changes in expression of maintenance DNMT1, and de novo methyltransferases DNMT3a and DNMT3b in spleen and liver of irradiated animals...
- Physical and functional interaction of DNA methyltransferase 3A with Mbd3 and Brg1 in mouse lymphosarcoma cellsJhrana Datta
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
Cancer Res 65:10891-900. 2005b>Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b are de novo DNA methyltransferases that also act as transcriptional repressors independent of methyltransferase activity...
- Association of Dnmt3a and thymine DNA glycosylase links DNA methylation with base-excision repairYa Qiang Li
The State Key Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Institute of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 200031, China
Nucleic Acids Res 35:390-400. 2007..We show here that the DNA methyltransferase Dnmt3a interacts with TDG...
- Inheritance of an epigenetic mark: the CpG DNA methyltransferase 1 is required for de novo establishment of a complex pattern of non-CpG methylationValerie Grandjean
INSERM, U636, Nice, France
PLoS ONE 2:e1136. 2007..As predicted, non-CpG DNA methylation profiles were abrogated in a mutant lacking Dnmt1, the enzymes responsible for CpG methylation, but not in mutants defective for either Dnmt3a or Dnmt2.
- Developmentally regulated transcription of mammalian telomeres by DNA-dependent RNA polymerase IIStefan Schoeftner
Telomeres and Telomerase Group, Molecular Oncology Program, Spanish National Cancer Centre CNIO, 28029 Madrid, Spain
Nat Cell Biol 10:228-36. 2008..Our results indicate that TelRNAs are novel components of mammalian telomeres, which are anticipated to be fundamental for understanding telomere biology and telomere-related diseases, such as cancer and ageing...
- Identification of putative targets of DNA (cytosine-5) methylation-mediated transcriptional silencing using a novel conditionally active form of DNA methyltransferase 3aMichael S Samuel
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, P O Royal Melbourne Hospital, Parkville, Vic, Australia
Growth Factors 25:426-36. 2007..and reversible activation of a de novo DNMT by constructing a steroid-hormone analogue activated version, Dnmt3a-mERtrade mark...
- Characterization of Dnmt3b:thymine-DNA glycosylase interaction and stimulation of thymine glycosylase-mediated repair by DNA methyltransferase(s) and RNAMichael J Boland
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198, USA
J Mol Biol 379:492-504. 2008..DNA methylation patterns are established and maintained at CpG dinucleotides by DNA methyltransferases (Dnmt1, Dnmt3a, and Dnmt3b). In mammals and many other eukaryotes, the CpG dinucleotide is underrepresented in the genome...
- Regulation of DNA methylation activity through Dnmt3L promoter methylation by Dnmt3 enzymes in embryonic developmentYe Guang Hu
The State Key Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Institute of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 320 Yueyang Road, Shanghai 200031, People s Republic of China
Hum Mol Genet 17:2654-64. 2008The genomic DNA is methylated by de novo methyltransferases Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b during early embryonic development. The establishment of appropriate methylation patterns depends on a fine regulation of the methyltransferase activity...
- Abnormal DNA methyltransferase expression in mouse germline stem cells results in spermatogenic defectsSeiji Takashima
Department of Molecular Genetics, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
Biol Reprod 81:155-64. 2009..In contrast, GS cells proliferated normally in vitro after Dnmt3a/Dnmt3b ablation or during Dnmt3l overexpression...
- Potential role of miR-29b in modulation of Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b expression in primordial germ cells of female mouse embryosShuji Takada
Division of Functional Genomics, Jichi Medical University, 3311 1 Yakushiji, Shimotsukeshi, Tochigi 329 0498, Japan
RNA 15:1507-14. 2009..Transcripts of the human genes for the de novo methyltransferases DNMT3A and DNMT3B have been identified as targets of miR-29b, and we found that mouse miR-29b also negatively regulates ..
- An essential role for DNA methyltransferase 3a in melanoma tumorigenesisTao Deng
Laboratory of Molecular Cell Biology, Institute of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Shanghai Institute for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai, China
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 387:611-6. 2009..However, the relationship between Dnmt3a and tumorigenesis is still largely unknown...
- Np95 interacts with de novo DNA methyltransferases, Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b, and mediates epigenetic silencing of the viral CMV promoter in embryonic stem cellsDaniela Meilinger
Department of Biology II, Center for Integrated Protein Science Munich CIPSM, Ludwig Maximilians University Munich, Grosshaderner Street 2, 82152 Planegg Martinsried, Germany
EMBO Rep 10:1259-64. 2009..Here, we show that Np95 interacts more strongly with regulatory domains of the de novo methyltransferases Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b...
- Targeting of 5-aza-2'-deoxycytidine residues by chromatin-associated DNMT1 induces proteasomal degradation of the free enzymeKatan Patel
Breakthrough Research Unit, Institute of Genetics and Molecular Medicine, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK
Nucleic Acids Res 38:4313-24. 2010..The proteasome inhibitor MG132 prevents DNMT1 degradation and reduces hypomethylation induced by 5-aza-dC...
- Interaction of murine dnmt3a with DNA containing o6-methylguanineD V Maltseva
Faculty of Chemistry and Belozersky Institute of Physico Chemical Biology, Lomonosov Moscow State University, Moscow, 119991, Russia
Biochemistry (Mosc) 75:173-81. 2010..study, the effect of O(6)meG on DNA methylation by the catalytic domain of murine DNA methyltransferase (MTase) Dnmt3a (Dnmt3a-CD) is assessed...
- A tripartite paternally methylated region within the Gpr1-Zdbf2 imprinted domain on mouse chromosome 1 identified by meDIP-on-chipHitoshi Hiura
Innovation of New Biomedical Engineering Center, University of Tohoku, Aoba ku, Sendai, Japan
Nucleic Acids Res 38:4929-45. 2010..Methylation was dependent on DNA methyltransferase 3a (Dnmt3a), similar to H19 DMR and IG-DMR...
- Dnmt3b recruitment through E2F6 transcriptional repressor mediates germ-line gene silencing in murine somatic tissuesGuillaume Velasco
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, University Paris Diderot, 75013 Paris, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:9281-6. 2010..Therefore, our results unraveled a coordinated regulation of genes involved in meiosis, through E2F6-dependant methylation and transcriptional silencing in somatic tissues...
- Epigenetic regulation of myofibroblast differentiation by DNA methylationBiao Hu
Department of Pathology, University of Michigan Medical School, 109 Zina Pitcher Place, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2200, USA
Am J Pathol 177:21-8. 2010..These findings suggest that DNA methylation mediated by DNA methyltransferase is an important mechanism regulating the alpha-SMA gene expression during myofibroblast differentiation...
- DNA methylase and demethylase activities are modulated by one-carbon metabolism in Alzheimer's disease modelsAndrea Fuso
Department of Surgery P Valdoni, Sapienza University of Rome, P le Aldo Moro, 5 00185, Rome, Italy
J Nutr Biochem 22:242-51. 2011..We found that DNA methylases (DNMT1, 3a and 3b) and a putative demethylase (MBD2) were differently modulated, in line with the previously observed changes of PSEN1 methylation pattern in the same experimental conditions...
- Defective imprint resetting in carriers of Robertsonian translocation Rb (8.12)Aabida Saferali
Department of Human Genetics, McGill University, Montreal, QC, Canada
Mamm Genome 21:377-87. 2010..12) carriers, suggesting possible silencing of pericentromeric genes, such as the Dnmt3a gene...
- DNMT3B7, a truncated DNMT3B isoform expressed in human tumors, disrupts embryonic development and accelerates lymphomagenesisMrinal Y Shah
Section of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, The University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637 1470, USA
Cancer Res 70:5840-50. 2010..These data represent the first in vivo modeling of cancer-associated DNA methylation changes and suggest that truncated DNMT3B isoforms contribute to the redistribution of DNA methylation characterizing virtually every human tumor...
- Phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase (PI3K) signaling via glycogen synthase kinase-3 (Gsk-3) regulates DNA methylation of imprinted lociAnthony P Popkie
Graduate Program in Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
J Biol Chem 285:41337-47. 2010..Finally, we find that N-Myc is a potent Gsk-3-dependent regulator of Dnmt3a2 expression. In summary, we have identified a signal transduction pathway that is capable of altering the DNA methylation of imprinted loci...
- Oligomerization and binding of the Dnmt3a DNA methyltransferase to parallel DNA molecules: heterochromatic localization and role of Dnmt3LRenata Z Jurkowska
Biochemistry Laboratory, School of Engineering and Science, Jacobs University Bremen, Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
J Biol Chem 286:24200-7. 2011Structural studies showed that Dnmt3a has two interfaces for protein-protein interaction in the heterotetrameric Dnmt3a/3L C-terminal domain complex: the RD interface (mediating the Dnmt3a-3a contact) and the FF interface (mediating the ..
- Nkx2.2 repressor complex regulates islet β-cell specification and prevents β-to-α-cell reprogrammingJames B Papizan
Department of Genetics and Development, Institute of Human Nutrition, Columbia University, New York 10032, USA
Genes Dev 25:2291-305. 2011..2 is part of a large repression complex in pancreatic β cells that includes DNMT3a, Grg3, and HDAC1. Mutation of the endogenous Nkx2...
- Identification and characterization of alternatively spliced variants of DNA methyltransferase 3a in mammalian cellsDaniel J Weisenberger
Urologic Cancer Research Laboratory, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Southern California Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center, Keck School of Medicine, 1441 Eastlake Avenue, Room 8302L, Los Angeles, CA 90089 9181, USA
Gene 298:91-9. 2002..While DNMT1 is thought to perform maintenance methylation, the more recently discovered DNMT3a and DNMT3b enzymes are thought to facilitate de novo methylation...
- Catalytic mechanism of DNA-(cytosine-C5)-methyltransferases revisited: covalent intermediate formation is not essential for methyl group transfer by the murine Dnmt3a enzymeSabine Reither
Institut fur Biochemie, FB 8, Justus Liebig Universitat, Heinrich Buff Ring 58, 35392, Giessen, Germany
J Mol Biol 329:675-84. 2003Co-transfections of reporter plasmids and plasmids encoding the catalytic domain of the murine Dnmt3a DNA methyltransferase lead to inhibition of reporter gene expression...
- Stage-by-stage change in DNA methylation status of Dnmt1 locus during mouse early developmentYeoung Gyu Ko
Laboratory of Cellular Biochemistry, Department of Animal Resource Sciences Veterinary Medical Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan 113 8657
J Biol Chem 280:9627-34. 2005..Analysis using Dnmt-deficient embryonic stem cell lines revealed that Dnmt1, Dnmt3a, and Dnmt3b are each partially responsible for maintenance of methylation of Dnmt1o T-DMR...
- Transcriptome analysis in blastocyst hatching by cDNA microarrayHuei Wen Chen
Institute and Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
Hum Reprod 20:2492-501. 2005..However, little is known about its regulatory mechanisms. By integrating the technologies of RNA amplification and cDNA microarrays, it has become possible to study the gene expression profile at this critical stage...
- Genetic evidence for a maternal effect locus controlling genomic imprinting and growthAmanda R Duselis
Department of Biological Chemistry, College of Medicine, University of California Irvine, 92799 1700, USA
Genesis 43:155-65. 2005..We show that the Meil loci are not identical to any of the DNA methyltransferases shown to be involved in regulation of genomic imprinting...
- Timing of entry of meiosis depends on a mark generated by DNA methyltransferase 3a in testisRuken Yaman
Inserm U636, Universite de Nice, Nice, France
Mol Reprod Dev 73:390-7. 2006..is an essential part of gametogenesis, and a role of two members of the DNA methyltransferase (Dnmt) family, Dnmt3a and Dnmt3L, has been recognized...
- CENTRAL GLP-1 SYSTEMS IN COUNTER REGULATORY RESPONSESJoel Elmquist; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Leptin Action and Central Melanocortin SystemsJoel Elmquist; Fiscal Year: 2006..Thus, we will produce mice with MC4-R expression only in cholinergic neurons, including autonomic preganglionic neurons. ..
- INTERACTIONS OF LEPTIN AND CENTRAL SEROTONIN SYSTEMSJoel Elmquist; Fiscal Year: 2009..We will also use novel models in which we can selectively reactivate leptin receptor (ObRb) expression in specific CNS sites to allow us to assess the physiological relevance of leptin receptor expression in the midbrain and brainstem. ..