Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Gja1
Description: gap junction protein, alpha 1
Alias: AU042049, AW546267, Cnx43, Cx43, Cx43alpha1, Gja-1, Npm1, connexin43, gap junction alpha-1 protein, alpha 1 connexin, connexin-43, gap junction 43 kDa heart protein, gap junction membrane channel protein alpha 1
Publications177 found, 100 shown here
- Connexin43 deficiency causes delayed ossification, craniofacial abnormalities, and osteoblast dysfunctionF Lecanda
Divisions of Bone and Mineral and Infectious Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, Barnes Jewish Hospital, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Cell Biol 151:931-44. 2000..We have shown that overexpression of Cx45 in osteoblasts expressing endogenous Cx43 leads to decreased cell-cell communication (Koval, M., S.T. Geist, E.M. Westphale, A.E. Kemendy, R. Civitelli, E.C...
- Failure of spermatogenesis in mice lacking connexin43W A Roscoe
Department of Physiology, The University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada N6A 5C1
Biol Reprod 65:829-38. 2001b>Connexin43 (Cx43), a gap junction protein encoded by the Gja1 gene, is expressed in several cell types of the testis...
- Presence of connexin 43 in subsarcolemmal, but not in interfibrillar cardiomyocyte mitochondriaKerstin Boengler
Institut fur Pathophysiologie, Zentrum fur Innere Medizin, Universitatsklinikum Essen, Essen, Germany
Basic Res Cardiol 104:141-7. 2009..b>Connexin 43 (Cx43) is located at the inner membrane of SSM, and Cx43 is involved in the cardioprotection by ischemic ..
- Cell autonomous requirement of connexin 43 for osteocyte survival: consequences for endocortical resorption and periosteal bone formationNicoletta Bivi
Department Anatomy and Cell Biology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202 5120, USA
J Bone Miner Res 27:374-89. 2012b>Connexin 43 (Cx43) mediates osteocyte communication with other cells and with the extracellular milieu and regulates osteoblastic cell signaling and gene expression...
- Cx43 gap junction gene expression and gap junctional communication in mouse neural crest cellsC W Lo
Biology Department, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA
Dev Genet 20:119-32. 1997..known to be important in mediating cell-cell interactions amongst migratory cells, our studies showed that the connexin 43 (Cx43) gap junction gene is widely expressed in mouse neural crest cell lineages...
- Comparison of connexin expression patterns in the developing mouse heart and human foetal heartSteven R Coppen
Cardiac Medicine, National Heart and Lung Institute, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College, Royal Brompton Hospital, London, UK
Mol Cell Biochem 242:121-7. 2003..The expression of the three major connexins (Cx43, Cx40 and Cx45) present in cardiac myocytes is known to be developmentally regulated but it is not clear how the ..
- Acute downregulation of connexin43 at wound sites leads to a reduced inflammatory response, enhanced keratinocyte proliferation and wound fibroblast migrationRyoichi Mori
Department of Physiology, School of Medical Sciences, University of Bristol, University Walk, Bristol BS8 1TD, UK
J Cell Sci 119:5193-203. 2006Experimental downregulation of connexin43 (Cx43) expression at skin wound sites appears to markedly improve the rate and quality of healing, but the underlying mechanisms are currently unknown...
- Involvement of the cytoplasmic C-terminal domain of connexin43 in neuronal migrationCima Cina
Department of Cellular and Physiological Sciences, The Life Sciences Institute, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, V6T 1Z3
J Neurosci 29:2009-21. 2009..we used Cre recombinase, driven by the nestin promoter, to conditionally knock-out a floxed coding DNA of the connexin43 (Cx43) gene in mice. Radial glia in the VZ normally express connexin43...
- Slow ventricular conduction in mice heterozygous for a connexin43 null mutationP A Guerrero
Department of Medicine, Washington University, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Clin Invest 99:1991-8. 1997To characterize the role of the gap junction protein connexin43 (Cx43) in ventricular conduction, we studied hearts of mice with targeted deletion of the Cx43 gene...
- Defects in the germ line and gonads of mice lacking connexin43S C Juneja
Department of Physiology, The University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R3E 3J7
Biol Reprod 60:1263-70. 1999..Numerous connexins, including connexin43 (Cx43), have been implicated in reproductive processes by virtue of their expression in adult gonads...
- An update on connexin genes and their nomenclature in mouse and manGoran Sohl
Institut fur Genetik, Universitat Bonn, Germany
Cell Commun Adhes 10:173-80. 2003..Furthermore, this short review contains an update on phenotypic correlations between connexin deficient mice and patients bearing mutations in their orthologous connexin genes...
- The transcriptional repressor Tbx3 delineates the developing central conduction system of the heartWillem M H Hoogaars
Experimental and Molecular Cardiology Group, AMC, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Cardiovasc Res 62:489-99. 2004..We studied the developmental expression pattern and functional aspects of the T-box transcription factor Tbx3, a novel marker for the murine central conduction system (CCS)...
- A Gja1 missense mutation in a mouse model of oculodentodigital dysplasiaAnn M Flenniken
Centre for Modeling Human Disease, Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario M5G 1X5, Canada
Development 132:4375-86. 2005..that was shown recently to be caused by mutations in the gap junction protein alpha 1 gene (GJA1), encoding connexin 43 (Cx43)...
- A sertoli cell-specific knockout of connexin43 prevents initiation of spermatogenesisRalph Brehm
Justus Liebig Universitaet, Institut fuer Veterinaer Anatomie, Histologie, und Embryologie, Frankfurter Strasse 98, Giessen, Germany
Am J Pathol 171:19-31. 2007The predominant testicular gap junctional protein connexin43 (cx43) is located between neighboring Sertoli cells (SCs) and between SCs and germ cells...
- Regulation of connexin43-protein binding in astrocytes in response to chemical ischemia/hypoxiaWei Li
Department of Neuroscience, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
J Biol Chem 280:7941-8. 2005..We have primarily used immunoprecipitation strategies to investigate whether connexin43 binds to selected signaling and cytoskeletal proteins and whether connexin43-protein binding is altered in ..
- Proliferation of adult sertoli cells following conditional knockout of the Gap junctional protein GJA1 (connexin 43) in miceSanthi Sridharan
Department of Veterinary Biosciences, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana, Illinois 61802, USA
Biol Reprod 76:804-12. 2007GJA1 (also known and referred to here as connexin 43 and abbreviated CX43) is the predominant testicular gap junction protein, and CX43 may regulate Sertoli cell maturation and spermatogenesis...
- Mitochondrial connexin 43 impacts on respiratory complex I activity and mitochondrial oxygen consumptionKerstin Boengler
Institut fur Pathophysiologie, Universitatsklinikum Essen, Essen, Germany
J Cell Mol Med 16:1649-55. 2012b>Connexin 43 (Cx43) is present at the sarcolemma and the inner membrane of cardiomyocyte subsarcolemmal mitochondria (SSM)...
- Low peak bone mass and attenuated anabolic response to parathyroid hormone in mice with an osteoblast-specific deletion of connexin43Dong Jin Chung
Division of Bone and Mineral Diseases, Washington University School of Medicine, 660 S Euclid Avenue, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Cell Sci 119:4187-98. 2006b>Connexin43 (Cx43) is involved in bone development, but its role in adult bone homeostasis remains unknown...
- T-box transcription factor Tbx2 represses differentiation and formation of the cardiac chambersVincent M Christoffels
Experimental and Molecular Cardiology Group, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Dev Dyn 229:763-70. 2004..expression in mouse hearts was found to be complementary to that of chamber myocardium-specific genes Nppa, Cx40, Cx43, and Chisel, and was conserved in human...
- Connexin43 gene expression and regulation in the rodent seminiferous epitheliumC Batias
INSERM CJF 95 04, EA 1760, IFR 50, Faculte de Medecine, Nice, France
J Histochem Cytochem 48:793-805. 2000b>Connexin43 (Cx43) is one of the most predominant gap junction proteins found in the testis...
- Expression of Gja1 correlates with the phenotype observed in oculodentodigital syndrome/type III syndactylyR Richardson
J Med Genet 41:60-7. 2004
- Analysis of multiple gap junction gene products in the rodent and human mammary glandA Pozzi
Department of Cell Biology, Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Exp Cell Res 220:212-9. 1995..RT-PCR amplification revealed a constitutive expression of RNA for alpha 1 connexin in all three species...
- Heart defects in connexin43-deficient miceJ Ya
Department of Anatomy and Embryology, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Circ Res 82:360-6. 1998Cardiac malformation in connexin43 (CX43)-disrupted mice is restricted to the junction between right ventricle and outflow tract, even though CX43 is also expressed abundantly elsewhere...
- Chamber formation and morphogenesis in the developing mammalian heartV M Christoffels
Department of Anatomy and Embryology, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, 1105, The Netherlands
Dev Biol 223:266-78. 2000....
- Unique and shared functions of different connexins in miceA Plum
Institut fur Genetik, Universitat Bonn, Roemerstrasse164, D 53117, Bonn, Germany
Curr Biol 10:1083-91. 2000..Mice lacking connexin43 (Cx43) die postnatally from obstruction of the right ventricular outflow tract of the heart...
- General and conditional replacement of connexin43-coding DNA by a lacZ reporter gene for cell-autonomous analysis of expressionM Theis
Institut fur Genetik, Abteilung Molekulargenetik, Universitat Bonn, Germany
Cell Commun Adhes 8:383-6. 2001..possible pleiotropic effects of general Cx43 gene deletion, in order to determine the expression and function of connexin43 (Cx43) in defined cell types. General or cell type-specific, Cre-mediated deletion of the floxed (i.e...
- Altered connexin expression and wound healing in the epidermis of connexin-deficient miceMarkus Kretz
Institut fur Genetik, Abteilung Molekulargenetik Römerstrasse 164, 53117 Bonn, Germany
J Cell Sci 116:3443-52. 2003..transgenic mouse mutants: connexin30-/-, connexin31-/- and connexin43Cre-ER(T)/fl (for inducible deletion of the connexin43 coding region)...
- Patch-clamp study reveals that the importance of connexin43-mediated gap junctional communication for ovarian folliculogenesis is strain specific in the mouseDan Tong
Dept of Physiology and Pharmacology, The Univ of Western Ontario, Dental Science Bldg, Rm 00073, London, ON, Canada N6A 5C1
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 290:C290-7. 2006Genetic ablation of connexin37 (Cx37) or connexin43 (Cx43), the two gap junction proteins expressed by mouse ovarian granulosa cells, has been shown to result in impaired follicle development...
- Characterization of Bves expression during mouse development using newly generated immunoreagentsTravis K Smith
The Stahlman Cardiovascular Research Laboratories, Program for Developmental Biology, and Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 6300, USA
Dev Dyn 235:1701-8. 2006....
- ATP release from activated neutrophils occurs via connexin 43 and modulates adenosine-dependent endothelial cell functionHolger K Eltzschig
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Tubingen University Hospital, Germany
Circ Res 99:1100-8. 2006..These studies showed that PMN ATP release occurs through connexin 43 (Cx43) hemichannels in a protein/phosphatase-A-dependent manner...
- The connexin43 C-terminal region mediates neuroprotection during strokeMichael G Kozoriz
Department of Cellular and Physiological Sciences, Life Sciences Institute, University of British Columbia, Canada
J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 69:196-206. 2010b>Connexin43 plays an important role in neuroprotection in experimental stroke models; reducing the expression of this gap junction protein in astrocytes enhances injury upon middle cerebral artery occlusion (MCAO)...
- Milk secretion and ejection are impaired in the mammary gland of mice harboring a Cx43 mutant while expression and localization of tight and adherens junction proteins remain unchangedIsabelle Plante
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
Biol Reprod 82:837-47. 2010..mammary glands from Gja1(Jrt/+) mice, harboring a mutation in the Gja1 gene encoding connexin (Cx) 43, have reduced Cx43 gap junction function and are unable to release milk to the pups...
- Characterization of hTERT-immortalized osteoblast cell lines generated from wild-type and connexin43-null mouse calvariaMia M Thi
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 299:C994-C1006. 2010The gap junction protein connexin43 (Cx43) has been proposed to play key roles in bone differentiation and mineralization, but underlying cellular mechanisms are not totally understood...
- Establishment of cardiac cytoarchitecture in the developing mouse heartAlain Hirschy
Institute of Cell Biology, ETH Zurich Honggerberg, CH 8093 Zurich, Switzerland
Dev Biol 289:430-41. 2006..These observations help to understand the mechanisms that lead to the formation of a functional heart during development at a cellular level...
- Influence of natriuretic peptide receptor-1 on survival and cardiac hypertrophy during developmentNicola J A Scott
Department of Medicine, University of Otago Christchurch, P O Box 4345, Christchurch, New Zealand
Biochim Biophys Acta 1792:1175-84. 2009..However, there was a significant decrease in Connexin-43 (Cx43) gene and protein expression at mid-gestation in Npr1(-/-)embryos...
- Neuregulin 1 sustains the gene regulatory network in both trabecular and nontrabecular myocardiumDonna Lai
Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute, Lowy Packer Building, 405 Liverpool St, Darlinghurst 2010, Australia
Circ Res 107:715-27. 2010..In development, the membrane-tethered signaling ligand Neuregulin (Nrg)1, expressed in endocardium, is essential for ventricular morphogenesis. In adults, Nrg1 protects against heart failure and can induce cardiomyocytes to divide...
- High resolution optical mapping reveals conduction slowing in connexin43 deficient miceB C Eloff
The Heart and Vascular Research Center, MetroHealth Campus, Case Western Reserve University, 2500 MetroHealth Drive, Hamman 322, Cleveland, OH 44109 1998, USA
Cardiovasc Res 51:681-90. 2001..However, conflicting results have been reported regarding conduction velocity slowing in mice heterozygous for a null mutation in the gene encoding connexin43 (Cx43).
- Impulse propagation in synthetic strands of neonatal cardiac myocytes with genetically reduced levels of connexin43Stuart P Thomas
Department of Physiology, University of Bern, Bühlplatz5, CH 3012 Bern, Switzerland
Circ Res 92:1209-16. 2003b>Connexin43 (Cx43) is a major determinant of the electrical properties of the myocardium...
- Modulation of cardiac gap junction expression and arrhythmic susceptibilityStephan B Danik
The Leon H Charney Division of Cardiology, New York University School of Medicine, New York 10010, USA
Circ Res 95:1035-41. 2004b>Connexin43 (Cx43), the predominant ventricular gap junction protein, is critical for maintaining normal cardiac electrical conduction, and its absence in the mouse heart results in sudden arrhythmic death...
- Adhesive properties of connexin hemichannelsM L Cotrina
Department of Neurosurgery, Division of Glial Disease and Therapeutics, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
Glia 56:1791-8. 2008..We have also found that high expression of Cx43, but not Cx32 hemichannels, can drive adhesion of cells expressing low levels of Cx43...
- Connexin 43 is required for the anti-apoptotic effect of bisphosphonates on osteocytes and osteoblasts in vivoLilian I Plotkin
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, the Center for Osteoporosis and Metabolic Bone Diseases, The Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System, Little Rock, Arkansas, USA
J Bone Miner Res 23:1712-21. 2008..Herein, we evaluated its requirement for the in vivo actions of bisphosphonates using mice in which Cx43 was deleted specifically from osteocytes and osteoblasts (Cx43(DeltaOb-Ot/-) mice)...
- Attenuated response to in vivo mechanical loading in mice with conditional osteoblast ablation of the connexin43 gene (Gja1)Susan K Grimston
Division of Bone and Mineral Disease, Department of Internal Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Bone Miner Res 23:879-86. 2008In vitro data suggest that gap junctional intercellular communication mediated by connexin43 (Cx43) plays an important role in bone cell response to mechanical stimulation...
- Spatial and temporal patterns of distribution of the gap junction protein connexin43 during mouse gastrulation and organogenesisS B Yancey
Division of Biology, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena 91125
Development 114:203-12. 1992b>Connexin43 (Cx43) is a member of the family of channel-forming proteins that make up the gap junction and are believed to provide pathways for cell-cell exchange of developmental signals...
- Alteration in connexin 43 gap junction gene dosage impairs conotruncal heart developmentG Y Huang
Department of Biology, Goddard Laboratory, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia 19104, USA
Dev Biol 198:32-44. 1998b>Connexin 43 (Cx43) knockout mice and transgenic mice (CMV43) overexpressing the Cx43 gap junction gene exhibit heart defects involving the conotruncus and right ventricle...
- Voltage-gated Na+ channel activity and connexin expression in Cx43-deficient cardiac myocytesC M Johnson
Department of Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 10:1390-401. 1999..Mice with targeted disruption of the connexin43 (Cx43) gene have hearts completely devoid of Cx43, the principal gap junctional protein expressed in mammalian ..
- Endothelium-specific replacement of the connexin43 coding region by a lacZ reporter geneM Theis
Institut fur Genetik, Universitat Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Genesis 29:1-13. 2001The murine gap junction protein connexin43 (Cx43) is expressed in blood vessels, with vastly different contribution by endothelial and smooth muscle cells...
- Intercellular communication via connexin43 gap junctions is required for ovarian folliculogenesis in the mouseC L Ackert
Department of Physiology, The University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario N6A 5C1, Canada
Dev Biol 233:258-70. 2001..b>Connexin43 immunoreactivity can be detected from the onset of folliculogenesis just after birth and persists through ..
- Connexin family members target to lipid raft domains and interact with caveolin-1Anne Lane Schubert
Department of Molecular Pharmacology and Albert Einstein Cancer Center and Department of Neuroscience, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, 1300 Morris Park Avenue, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
Biochemistry 41:5754-64. 2002..We show that connexin 43 (Cx43) colocalizes, cofractionates, and coimmunoprecipitates with caveolin-1...
- Proliferation, differentiation and apoptosis in connexin43-null osteoblastsF Furlan
Department of Internal Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri, USA
Cell Commun Adhes 8:367-71. 2001Osteoblasts are highly coupled by gap junctions formed primarily by connexin43 (Cx43)...
- The organization of adherens junctions and desmosomes at the cardiac intercalated disc is independent of gap junctionsDavid E Gutstein
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, New York University School of Medicine, 550 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016, USA
J Cell Sci 116:875-85. 2003..We investigated whether the major cardiac gap junction protein connexin43 (Cx43) may be responsible for regulating adherens junctions, desmosomes and their associated catenins, in terms ..
- Lens connexins alpha3Cx46 and alpha8Cx50 interact with zonula occludens protein-1 (ZO-1)Peter A Nielsen
Department of Cell Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Mol Biol Cell 14:2470-81. 2003..The spatial variation in the interaction of ZO-1 with lens gap junctions is intriguing and is suggestive of multiple dynamic roles for this association...
- Endothelin-1 decreases gap junctional intercellular communication by inducing phosphorylation of connexin 43 in human ovarian carcinoma cellsFrancesca Spinella
Laboratories of Molecular Pathology and Ultrastructure and Immunology, Regina Elena Cancer Institute, Rome 00158, Italy
J Biol Chem 278:41294-301. 2003..carcinoma cell lines to ET-1 led to a 50-75% inhibition in intercellular communication and to a decrease in the connexin 43 (Cx43)-based gap junction plaques...
- Mice with astrocyte-directed inactivation of connexin43 exhibit increased exploratory behaviour, impaired motor capacities, and changes in brain acetylcholine levelsChristian Frisch
Institute of Physiological Psychology, and Center for Biological and Medical Research, Heinrich Heine University of Dusseldorf, Universitatsstrasse 1, D 40225 Dusseldorf, Germany
Eur J Neurosci 18:2313-8. 2003..b>Cx43 is the main constituent of the brain-spanning astrocytic gap junctional network, controlling activity-related ..
- The NLRR gene family and mouse development: Modified differential display PCR identifies NLRR-1 as a gene expressed in early somitic myoblastsBryan P Haines
Section of Gene Function and Regulation, The Institute of Cancer Research, Chester Beatty Laboratories, 237 Fulham Road, London SW3 6JB, UK
Dev Biol 281:145-59. 2005..The regulated embryonic expression and cellular location of these proteins suggest important roles during mouse development in the control of cell adhesion, movement or signalling...
- Distinct cardiac malformations caused by absence of connexin 43 in the neural crest and in the non-crest neural tubeShasha Liu
Leon H Charney Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY 10016, USA
Development 133:2063-73. 2006b>Connexin 43 (Cx43) is expressed in the embryonic heart, cardiac neural crest (CNC) and neural tube, and germline knockout (KO) of Cx43 results in aberrant cardiac outflow tract (OFT) formation and abnormal coronary deployment...
- Gap junctional control of glial glutamate transporter expressionMaciej Figiel
Institute of Anatomy, University of Leipzig, Medical Faculty, Liebigstr 13, 04103 Leipzig, Germany
Mol Cell Neurosci 35:130-7. 2007..Here, we show that uncoupling cultured cortical astrocytes with the gap junction blocker, propofol, or the Cx43 mimetic peptide, Gap27, inhibits the expression of GLT-1, the major glutamate transporter subtype in the cortex...
- Characterization of connexin31.1-deficient mice reveals impaired placental developmentQingyi Zheng-Fischhöfer
Institut fur Genetik, Abteilung Molekulargenetik, Universitat Bonn, D 53117 Bonn, Germany
Dev Biol 312:258-71. 2007..We conclude that Connexin31.1 is critical for normal placental development but appears to be functionally compensated by other connexin isoforms in the embryo proper and adult mouse...
- In vivo analysis of undocked connexin43 gap junction hemichannels in ovarian granulosa cellsDan Tong
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry, The University of Western Ontario, London, ON N6A 5C1, Canada
J Cell Sci 120:4016-24. 2007b>Connexin43 (Cx43, encoded by Gja1) is required for ovarian follicle development in the mouse. It is strongly expressed in granulosa cells, in which it forms intercellular gap junction channels that couple the cells metabolically...
- The conditional connexin43G138R mouse mutant represents a new model of hereditary oculodentodigital dysplasia in humansRadoslaw Dobrowolski
Institute of Genetics, University of Bonn, Germany
Hum Mol Genet 17:539-54. 2008..characteristic anomalies of the fingers and toes, eyes, face and teeth, which are caused by mutations in the connexin 43 (Cx43) gene...
- Tissue distribution and subcellular localization of the cardiac sodium channel during mouse heart developmentJorge N Domínguez
Department of Experimental Biology, Faculty of Experimental Sciences, University of Jaen, Paraje de las Lagunillas, S N, Jaén 23071, Spain
Cardiovasc Res 78:45-52. 2008..The aim of this study was to analyse the mRNA expression levels and protein distribution of the cardiac sodium channel Scn5a/Nav1.5 during mouse cardiogenesis...
- A central role of connexin 43 in hypoxic preconditioningJane H C Lin
Department of Pathology, New York Medical College, Valhalla, New York 10595, USA
J Neurosci 28:681-95. 2008..Here we show that connexin 43 (Cx43) plays a key role in protection afforded by preconditioning...
- Similar transcriptomic alterations in Cx43 knockdown and knockout astrocytesDumitru A Iacobas
Dominick P Purpura Department of Neuroscience, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
Cell Commun Adhes 15:195-206. 2008..To start addressing this question, the authors compared with wild-type control the gene expression profiles of connexin 43 (Cx43) knockout and Cx43siRNA knockdown wild-type cortical astrocytes...
- Lack of Connexin43-mediated bergmann glial gap junctional coupling does not affect cerebellar long-term depression, motor coordination, or eyeblink conditioningMika Tanaka
RIKEN Brain Science Institute BSI Japan
Front Behav Neurosci 2:1. 2008..b>Connexin43 (Cx43), a major component of astrocytic gap junction channels, is abundantly expressed in Bergmann glial cells...
- Connexin43 potentiates osteoblast responsiveness to fibroblast growth factor 2 via a protein kinase C-delta/Runx2-dependent mechanismFlorence Lima
Department of Orthopaedics, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Mol Biol Cell 20:2697-708. 2009In this study, we examine the role of the gap junction protein, connexin43 (Cx43), in the transcriptional response of osteocalcin to fibroblast growth factor 2 (FGF2) in MC3T3 osteoblasts...
- Heart and neural tube defects in transgenic mice overexpressing the Cx43 gap junction geneJ L Ewart
Department of Biology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia 19104, USA
Development 124:1281-92. 1997..containing a cytomegaloviral promoter driven construct (CMV43) expressing the gap junction polylpeptide connexin 43. RNA and protein analysis confirmed that the transgene was being expressed...
- Transplacental uptake of glucose is decreased in embryonic lethal connexin26-deficient miceH D Gabriel
Institut fur Genetik, Abt Molekulargenetik, Universitat Bonn, 53117 Bonn, Germany
J Cell Biol 140:1453-61. 1998....
- The loss of ventral ectoderm identity correlates with the inability to form an AER in the legless hindlimb budS M Bell
Division of Developmental Biology Children s Hospital Research Foundation, 3333 Burnet Avenue, Cincinnati, OH 45229, USA
Mech Dev 74:41-50. 1998..These data suggest that establishment of a dorso-ventral ectodermal interface is not sufficient for AER formation and that restriction of lmx-1b to the dorsal mesenchyme is coordinately linked to AER formation...
- Gap junction-mediated cell-cell communication modulates mouse neural crest migrationG Y Huang
Biology Department, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Cell Biol 143:1725-34. 1998..Furthermore, they indicate that cardiac neural crest perturbation is the likely underlying cause for heart defects in mice with the gain or loss of alpha1 connexin function...
- Downregulation of connexin 45 gene products during mouse heart developmentS Alcolea
Laboratoire de Genetique et Physiologie du Developpement, Institut de Biologie du Developpement de Marseille, CNRS INSERM AP Marseille Université de la Méditerranée, Campus de Luminy, Marseille
Circ Res 84:1365-79. 1999..Three members of this family have been demonstrated to be synthesized in the cardiomyocytes: Cx40, Cx43, and Cx45...
- Loss of connexin45 causes a cushion defect in early cardiogenesisM Kumai
Department of Developmental Molecular Anatomy, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kyushu University, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Development 127:3501-12. 2000..These results indicate a requirement for gap junction channels during early cardiogenesis and hence implicate connexin45 in congenital heart diseases. http://www. biologists.com/Development/movies/dev4369.html..
- Abnormal cardiac conduction and morphogenesis in connexin40 and connexin43 double-deficient miceS Kirchhoff
Universitat Bonn, Institut fur Genetik, Abt Molekulargenetik, Bonn, Germany
Circ Res 87:399-405. 2000Connexin40-deficient (Cx40(-/-)/Cx43(+/+)) and connexin43-heterozygous knockout mice (Cx40(+/+)/Cx43(+/-)) are viable but show cardiac conduction abnormalities...
- Transduction of cell survival signals by connexin-43 hemichannelsLilian I Plotkin
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, the Center for Osteoporosis and Metabolic Bone Diseases, and the Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, Arkansas 72205, USA
J Biol Chem 277:8648-57. 2002....
- Intercellular calcium signaling in astrocytes via ATP release through connexin hemichannelsCharles E Stout
Loma Linda University School of Medicine, Loma Linda, California 92350, USA
J Biol Chem 277:10482-8. 2002..Similar whole-cell currents, transmembrane dye flux, and ATP release were observed in C6 glioma cells expressing connexin43 but were not observed in parent C6 cells...
- A neuroprotective role for gap junctionsC C Naus
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, The University of Western Ontario, London, Canada
Cell Commun Adhes 8:325-8. 2001..In astrocytes, gap junctions are composed primarily of the channel protein, connexin43 (Cx43), and provide a substrate for formation of a functional syncytium implicated in the process of spatial ..
- Astrocytic gap junctions composed of connexin 43 reduce apoptotic neuronal damage in cerebral ischemiaTaizen Nakase
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z3, Canada
Stroke 34:1987-93. 2003..b>Connexin 43 (Cx43) is one of the major gap junction proteins in astrocytes...
- Development of mice with osteoblast-specific connexin43 gene deletionCharles H M Castro
Division of Bone and Mineral Diseases, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Cell Commun Adhes 10:445-50. 2003Genetic deficiency of Cx43 in vivo causes skeletal developmental defects, osteoblast dysfunction and perinatal lethality...
- Drebrin is a novel connexin-43 binding partner that links gap junctions to the submembrane cytoskeletonEugenia Butkevich
Department of Neurophysiology, University of Gottingen, Gottingen, Germany
Curr Biol 14:650-8. 2004..To identify novel proteins that interact with the COOH-terminal domain of Connexin-43 (Cx43), the most widely expressed connexin family member, we applied a proteomics approach to screen fractions of mouse ..
- mRNA expression pattern of multiple members of connexin gene family in normal and abnormal fetal gonads in mouseSubhash C Juneja
Department of Zoology, The University of Western Ontario, London, Canada
Indian J Physiol Pharmacol 47:147-56. 2003..Gap junctions play important roles in ovarian and testicular function. Connexin 43 (Cx43) knockout mouse is a model for developmentally impaired fetal gonads...
- Connexin43 associated with an N-cadherin-containing multiprotein complex is required for gap junction formation in NIH3T3 cellsChih Jen Wei
Laboratory of Developmental Biology, NHLBI, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Biol Chem 280:19925-36. 2005..In NIH3T3 cells, we observed the colocalization of connexin43 (Cx43alpha1) gap junction protein with N-cadherin, p120, and other N-cadherin-associated proteins at regions of ..
- Connexin43 deficiency causes dysregulation of coronary vasculogenesisDiana L Walker
Laboratory of Developmental Biology, National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, Building 50 Room 4537, Bethesda, MD 20892 8019, USA
Dev Biol 284:479-98. 2005The connexin43 knockout (Cx43alpha1 KO) mouse dies at birth from outflow obstruction associated with infundibular pouches...
- Connexin31 cannot functionally replace connexin43 during cardiac morphogenesis in miceQingyi Zheng-Fischhöfer
Institut fur Genetik, Universitat Bonn, 53117 Bonn, Germany
J Cell Sci 119:693-701. 2006In the gastrulating mouse embryo, the gap junction protein connexin43 is expressed exclusively in cells derived from the inner cell mass, whereas connexin31 is expressed in cells of the trophoblast lineage...
- The impact of astrocytic gap junctional coupling on potassium buffering in the hippocampusAnke Wallraff
Department of Experimental Neurobiology, Neurosurgery, University of Bonn, 53105 Bonn, Germany
J Neurosci 26:5438-47. 2006..We obtained mice with coupling-deficient astrocytes by crossing conditional connexin43-deficient mice with connexin30(-/-) mice...
- Sphingosine 1-phosphate induces myoblast differentiation through Cx43 protein expression: a role for a gap junction-dependent and -independent functionR Squecco
Departments of Biochemical Sciences, University of Florence, Interuniversity Institute of Myology, Florence I 50134, Italy
Mol Biol Cell 17:4896-910. 2006..Indeed, the treatment with S1P greatly enhanced Cx43 expression and gap junctional intercellular communication during the early phases of myoblast differentiation, ..
- Loss of mXinalpha, an intercalated disk protein, results in cardiac hypertrophy and cardiomyopathy with conduction defectsElisabeth A Gustafson-Wagner
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 293:H2680-92. 2007..Additionally, altered localization and decreased expression of connexin 43 are observed in the mXinalpha-null mouse heart, which, together with previously observed abnormal ..
- Electrical remodeling contributes to complex tachyarrhythmias in connexin43-deficient mouse heartsStephan B Danik
Leon H Charney Division of Cardiology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY 10016, USA
FASEB J 22:1204-12. 2008Loss of connexin43 (Cx43) gap junction channels in the heart results in a marked increase in the incidence of spontaneous and inducible polymorphic ventricular tachyarrhythmias (PVTs)...
- Combined reduction of intercellular coupling and membrane excitability differentially affects transverse and longitudinal cardiac conductionMera Stein
Division of Heart and Lungs, Department of Medical Physiology, University Medical Center Utrecht, Yalelaan 50, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Cardiovasc Res 83:52-60. 2009..In this study, we have investigated the effect of isolated and combined reductions in membrane excitability and intercellular coupling on impulse propagation and arrhythmogeneity in genetically modified mice...
- Loss of connexin43-mediated gap junctional coupling in the mesenchyme of limb buds leads to altered expression of morphogens in miceRadoslaw Dobrowolski
Division of Molecular Genetics, Institute of Genetics, Berlin, Germany
Hum Mol Genet 18:2899-911. 2009Mutations in the GJA1 gene coding for connexin43 (Cx43) cause oculodentodigital dysplasia (ODDD), a pleiotropic human disorder with characteristic morphologic anomalies of face, teeth, bones and digits...
- Connexin 43 regulates epicardial cell polarity and migration in coronary vascular developmentDavid Y Rhee
Laboratory of Developmental Biology, National Heart Lung and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Development 136:3185-93. 2009b>Connexin 43 knockout (Cx43 KO) mice exhibit conotruncal malformations and coronary artery defects...
- Hypoxia in high glucose followed by reoxygenation in normal glucose reduces the viability of cortical astrocytes through increased permeability of connexin 43 hemichannelsJuan A Orellana
Departamento de Ciencias Fisiologicas, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Alameda 340, Santiago, Chile
Glia 58:329-43. 2010..glucose during the hypoxia in a concentration-dependent manner (and by zero glucose) and were not observed in connexin 43(-/-) astrocytes...
- Decreased levels of Cx43 gap junctions result in ameloblast dysregulation and enamel hypoplasia in Gja1Jrt/+ miceK Toth
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
J Cell Physiol 223:601-9. 2010..To assess the role of Cx43 in tooth development we employ a mouse model of ODDD that harbors a G60S Cx43 mutant, Gja1(Jrt)/+, and appears to exhibit tooth abnormalities that mimic the human disease...
- Phosphatase-resistant gap junctions inhibit pathological remodeling and prevent arrhythmiasBenjamin F Remo
Leon H Charney Division of Cardiology, New York University School of Medicine, 522 First Ave, Smilow 801, New York, NY 10016, USA
Circ Res 108:1459-66. 2011Posttranslational phosphorylation of connexin43 (Cx43) has been proposed as a key regulatory event in normal cardiac gap junction expression and pathological gap junction remodeling...
- Role of connexin43 and ATP in long-range bystander radiation damage and oncogenesis in vivoM Mancuso
Laboratory of Radiation Biology and Biomedicine, Agenzia nazionale per le nuove tecnologie, l Energia e lo Sviluppo Economico Sostenibile ENEA CR Casaccia, Rome, Italy
Oncogene 30:4601-8. 2011..system using a mouse model in which intercellular communication is downregulated by targeted deletion of the connexin43 (Cx43) gene...
- Involvement of urinary bladder Connexin43 and the circadian clock in coordination of diurnal micturition rhythmHiromitsu Negoro
Department of Urology, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Sakyo, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Nat Commun 3:809. 2012..Here we demonstrate, using a novel method for automated recording of mouse micturition, that connexin43, a bladder gap junction protein, is a negative regulator of functional bladder capacity...
- Connexin 43 deficiency attenuates loss of trabecular bone and prevents suppression of cortical bone formation during unloadingShane A Lloyd
Division of Musculoskeletal Sciences, Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, Penn State College of Medicine, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
J Bone Miner Res 27:2359-72. 2012b>Connexin 43 (Cx43) is the most abundant gap junction protein in bone and has been demonstrated as an integral component of skeletal homeostasis...
- Connexin43 and pannexin1 channels in osteoblasts: who is the "hemichannel"?Mia M Thi
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
J Membr Biol 245:401-9. 2012..Unapposed gap junction hemichannels formed of connexin43 (Cx43) have been proposed as a major route for such exchange, in particular for release of ATP and prostaglandin ..
- Identification of two regulatory elements within the promoter region of the mouse connexin 43 geneZ Q Chen
Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Biol Chem 270:3863-8. 1995To define the minimal sequences required for expression of the connexin 43 gene (cx43) in myometrial cells, we generated 5' deletion constructs of a fragment extending 1686 base pairs upstream and 162 base pairs downstream of the ..
- Cardiac malformation in neonatal mice lacking connexin43A G Reaume
Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Science 267:1831-4. 1995..Targeted mutagenesis of connexin43 (Cx43), one of the most prevalent connexin proteins, showed that its absence was compatible with survival of ..
- Functional proteomic analysis of protein kinase C epsilon signaling complexes in the normal heart and during cardioprotectionP Ping
Department of Physiology, Division of Cardiology, University of Louisville, KY, USA
Circ Res 88:59-62. 2001..The results suggest heretofore-unrecognized functions of PKCepsilon and provide an integrated framework for the understanding of PKCepsilon-dependent signaling architecture and cardioprotection...
- Null mutation of connexin43 causes slow propagation of ventricular activation in the late stages of mouse embryonic developmentD Vaidya
Department of Pharmacology, SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY 13210, USA
Circ Res 88:1196-202. 2001b>Connexin43 (Cx43) is the principal connexin isoform in the mouse ventricle, where it is thought to provide electrical coupling between cells...
- Connexin43 null mutation increases infarct size after strokeR Siushansian
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, The University of Western Ontario, London, ON, Canada N6A 5C1
J Comp Neurol 440:387-94. 2001..In astrocytes, gap junctions are composed primarily of the channel protein connexin43 (Cx43) and provide a substrate for formation of a functional syncytium implicated in the spatial buffering ..
- An essential role for connexin43 gap junctions in mouse coronary artery developmentW E I Li
Biology Department, Goddard Laboratories, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Development 129:2031-42. 2002b>Connexin43 knockout mice die neonatally from conotruncal heart malformation and outflow obstruction. Previous studies have indicated the involvement of neural crest perturbations in these cardiac anomalies...
- "Connexin-Dependent Transcriptomic Networks in Controlling the Heart Rhythm"DUMITRU ANDREI IACOBAS; Fiscal Year: 2010..expression and/or mutation of the primary gap junction proteins (connexins, Cx) that couple myocytes in ventricles (Cx43) and atria (Cx40) among major causes of cardiac arrhythmias...
- Glial Signaling:Interplay of Connexins and P2 ReceptorsEliana Scemes; Fiscal Year: 2006..We have recently obtained evidence that astrocytes from Cx43 null mice display a different functional P2Y subtype expression compared to astrocytes from wildtype mice aTrd that ..
- Gap Junction Mediated Signaling and Vascular ResponsesAlexander M Simon; Fiscal Year: 2010..Finally, these studies could also lead to new approaches to control vasculogenesis and angiogenesis in other clinically important settings, such as anti-angiogenesis treatments designed to fight cancer. ..
- SEARCH FOR NEW GENES CAUSING NON-SYNDROMIC DEAFNESSXue Liu; Fiscal Year: 2002..This knowledge is an essential prerequisite to the development and provision of molecular diagnostic services for families with NSHL, as well as the further delineation of the functional genomics of the cochlea. ..
- CONTROL OF CONNEXIN TRANSPORT AND ASSEMBLYMichael Koval; Fiscal Year: 2004..We found that ROS cells differentially assemble and sort two endogenously expressed gap junction proteins, CX43 and CX46. ROS cells assemble CX43 into hexamers which are transported to the plasma membrane...
- EXERCISE HYPERTROPHY AND CONTROL OF MYOSIN INDUCTIONRichard Tsika; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- ALTERED MECHANICAL LOADS AND SKELETAL MUSCLE PHENOTYPERichard Tsika; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Proteomic Biomarkers of Health BehaviorsPaul Lampe; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Developmental Defects in Blood and Vessel FormationKaren Hirschi; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Resolving the nuclear fusion steps during yeast matingPatricia Melloy; Fiscal Year: 2006..This information and the tools used can then be applied to other cell biological and gene regulation questions during other types of membrane fusion. ..
- Role of ALK3 in atrioventricular valve developmentVinciane Gaussin; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Molecular determinants of lung barrier functionMichael Koval; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Tissue Engineering of Hematopoietic BoneKaren Hirschi; Fiscal Year: 2009..Furthermore, we have established necessary links to BCM and Rice technology transfer offices to facilitate the transition of our research into biotech and clinical settings. ..
- RETINOID REGULATION OF BLOOD VESSEL FORMATIONKaren Hirschi; Fiscal Year: 2004..We will also specifically investigate the role(s) of retinoic acid and TGF-Â¿ signaling in the control of endothelial cell maturation and growth, as a direct extension of our previous work. ..