Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Lef1
Description: lymphoid enhancer binding factor 1
Alias: 3000002B05, AI451430, Lef-1, lymphoid enhancer-binding factor 1
Publications132 found, 100 shown here
- Phosphorylation of TCF proteins by homeodomain-interacting protein kinase 2Hiroki Hikasa
Department of Developmental and Regenerative Biology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029, USA
J Biol Chem 286:12093-100. 2011..We show that the TCF family members LEF1, TCF4, and TCF3 are phosphorylated in embryonic ectoderm after Wnt8 stimulation and HIPK2 overexpression...
- Tcf3 and Lef1 regulate lineage differentiation of multipotent stem cells in skinB J Merrill
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Molecular Genetics and Cell Biology, The University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Genes Dev 15:1688-705. 2001..In this paper, we show that Tcf3 and Lef1 control these differentiation lineages...
- R-spondin 2 is required for normal laryngeal-tracheal, lung and limb morphogenesisSheila M Bell
Section of Neonatology, Perinatal and Pulmonary Biology, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center and the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH 45229, USA
Development 135:1049-58. 2008..Interbreeding the Rspo2(Tg) and Lrp6(-) alleles resulted in more severe defects consisting of marked lung hypoplasia and absence of tracheal-bronchial rings, laryngeal structures and all limb skeletal elements...
- Wls-mediated Wnts differentially regulate distal limb patterning and tissue morphogenesisXuming Zhu
Institute for Nutritional Sciences, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Graduate School of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, China
Dev Biol 365:328-38. 2012..These findings provide a comprehensive view of the role of Wnts in limb patterning and tissue morphogenesis...
- Identification of 2 novel genes developmentally regulated in the mouse aorta-gonad-mesonephros regionClaudia Orelio
Department of Cell Biology and Genetics, Erasmus University Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Blood 101:2246-9. 2003..The identification of differentially expressed genes in the AGM region should yield further insights into the development of this tissue and into the emergence and regulation of HSCs...
- Lymphoid enhancer factor interacts with GATA-3 and controls its function in T helper type 2 cellsMohammad B Hossain
Department of Immunology, Graduate School of Medicine, Chiba University, Inohana, Chuo Ku, Chiba, Japan
Immunology 125:377-86. 2008..These results suggest that LEF-1 is involved in the GATA-3 complex, while also regulating the GATA-3 function, such as the induction of Th2 cytokine expression via the inhibition of the DNA-binding activity of GATA-3...
- Defining BMP functions in the hair follicle by conditional ablation of BMP receptor IAKrzysztof Kobielak
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Laboratory of Mammalian Cell Biology and Development, The Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10021 6399, USA
J Cell Biol 163:609-23. 2003..In contrast, Lef1 is up-regulated, but its regulated control of hair differentiation is still blocked, and BMPRIA-null follicles fail ..
- Neuropilin-2 regulates the development of selective cranial and sensory nerves and hippocampal mossy fiber projectionsH Chen
Department of Anatomy, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of California, San Francisco 94243 0452, USA
Neuron 25:43-56. 2000..Our results show that neuropilin-2 is an essential component of the Sema3F receptor and identify key roles for neuropilin-2 in axon guidance in the PNS and CNS...
- Lymphoid enhancer-binding factor-1 binds and activates the recombination-activating gene-2 promoter together with c-Myb and Pax-5 in immature B cellsZhe Xiong Jin
Department of Immunology, Faculty of Medicine, Toyama Medical and Pharmaceutical University, Sugitani, Toyama, Japan
J Immunol 169:3783-92. 2002..The link between LEF-1/beta-catenin and Wnt signaling in B lineage cells will be discussed...
- Brn-2 expression controls melanoma proliferation and is directly regulated by beta-cateninJane Goodall
Signaling and Development Laboratory, Marie Curie Research Institute, The Chart, Oxted, Surrey RH8 0TL, United Kingdom
Mol Cell Biol 24:2915-22. 2004..These results, together with the observation that BRAF signaling also induces Brn-2 expression, reveal that Brn-2 is a focus for the convergence of two key melanoma-associated signaling pathways that are linked to cell proliferation...
- Wnt pathway component LEF1 mediates tumor cell invasion and is expressed in human and murine breast cancers lacking ErbB2 (her-2/neu) overexpressionAnthony Nguyen
Division of Hematology Oncology, University of California, Irvine, CA, USA
Int J Oncol 27:949-56. 2005This study examines the role of LEF1, a component of the Wnt signaling pathway, in human breast and murine mammary carcinoma and its relationship to ErbB2 (her-2/neu) expression...
- Lef1 regulates COX-2 transcription in chondrocytesKangsun Yun
Department of Life Sciences, Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology GIST, 1 Oryong dong, Puk ku, Gwangju 500 712, Republic of Korea
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 364:270-5. 2007..Here, we demonstrate that lymphoid enhancer-binding factor 1 (Lef1) in concert with beta-catenin is associated with the transcriptional regulation of the gene encoding COX-2 in mouse ..
- Runx2 and bone morphogenic protein 2 regulate the expression of an alternative Lef1 transcript during osteoblast maturationLuke H Hoeppner
Graduate Program in Microbiology, Immunology and Cancer Biology, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
J Cell Physiol 221:480-9. 2009..In this study, we describe the expression and function of an alternative Lef1 isoform in osseous cells...
- Lymphoid enhancer factor-1 and beta-catenin inhibit Runx2-dependent transcriptional activation of the osteocalcin promoterRachel A Kahler
University of Minnesota Cancer Center, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Graduate Program in Microbiology, Immunology and Cancer Biology, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455, USA
J Biol Chem 278:11937-44. 2003..A functional binding site for the high mobility group protein lymphoid enhancer-binding factor 1 (LEF1) was found adjacent to the proximal Runx2-binding site in the osteocalcin promoter...
- Gli3-mediated somitic Fgf10 expression gradients are required for the induction and patterning of mammary epithelium along the embryonic axesJacqueline M Veltmaat
The Saban Research Institute of Childrens Hospital Los Angeles University of Southern California, Developmental Biology Program, Los Angeles, CA 90027, USA
Development 133:2325-35. 2006..We propose that the intra-somitic Fgf10 gradient, together with ventral elongation of the somites, determines the correct dorsoventral position of mammary epithelium along the flank...
- Adenomatous polyposis coli (APC) is required for normal development of skin and thymusMari Kuraguchi
Harvard Partners Center for Genetics and Genomics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS Genet 2:e146. 2006....
- LEF-1, a gene encoding a lymphoid-specific protein with an HMG domain, regulates T-cell receptor alpha enhancer function [corrected]A Travis
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of California, San Francisco 94143 0414
Genes Dev 5:880-94. 1991..Moreover, forced expression of recombinant LEF-1 in late stage B cells increases TCR alpha enhancer function. Taken together, these data suggest that LEF-1 is a regulatory participant in lymphocyte gene expression and differentiation...
- Lymphoid enhancer factor 1 directs hair follicle patterning and epithelial cell fateP Zhou
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Molecular Genetics and Cell Biology, University of Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Genes Dev 9:700-13. 1995..Collectively, our findings demonstrate that ectodermal expression of LEF-1 plays a central role in gene expression, pattern formation, and other developmental processes involving epithelial-mesenchymal associations...
- Structural basis for DNA bending by the architectural transcription factor LEF-1J J Love
Department of Molecular Biology, Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Nature 376:791-5. 1995..The structure reveals the HMG domain bound in the widened minor groove of a markedly distorted and bent double helix. The basic region binds across the narrowed major groove and contributes to DNA recognition...
- Assembly and function of a TCR alpha enhancer complex is dependent on LEF-1-induced DNA bending and multiple protein-protein interactionsK Giese
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Microbiology, University of California, San Francisco 94143 0414, USA
Genes Dev 9:995-1008. 1995....
- Development of several organs that require inductive epithelial-mesenchymal interactions is impaired in LEF-1-deficient miceC van Genderen
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of California, San Francisco 94143 0414
Genes Dev 8:2691-703. 1994..Together, the pattern of these defects suggest an essential role for LEF-1 in the formation of several organs and structures that require inductive tissue interactions...
- Differential expression of the HMG box factors TCF-1 and LEF-1 during murine embryogenesisM Oosterwegel
Department of Immunology, University Hospital, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Development 118:439-48. 1993..Postnatally, expression of both genes could only be detected in lymphoid tissues. These observations suggest that TCF-1 and LEF-1 exert differential functions during murine embryogenesis...
- Lef1 expression is activated by BMP-4 and regulates inductive tissue interactions in tooth and hair developmentK Kratochwil
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of California, San Francisco, 94143, USA
Genes Dev 10:1382-94. 1996..organ development, formation of the epithelial primordium of the whisker but not tooth is dependent on mesenchymal Lef1 gene expression...
- Nuclear localization of beta-catenin by interaction with transcription factor LEF-1O Huber
Department of Molecular Embryology, Max Planck Institute for Immunobiology, Freiburg, Germany
Mech Dev 59:3-10. 1996..As shown for beta-catenin, ectopic expression of LEF-1 in Xenopus embryos caused duplication of the body axis, indicating a regulatory role for a LEF-1-like molecule in dorsal mesoderm formation...
- Msx1 controls inductive signaling in mammalian tooth morphogenesisY Chen
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Development 122:3035-44. 1996..Our results show that expression of Bone Morphogenetic Protein 4 (BMP4), the HMG box gene Lef1 and the heparan sulfate proteoglycan syndecan-1 is specifically reduced in Msx1 mutant dental mesenchyme, while ..
- Redundant regulation of T cell differentiation and TCRalpha gene expression by the transcription factors LEF-1 and TCF-1R M Okamura
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Microbiology, University of California, San Francisco 94143 0414, USA
Immunity 8:11-20. 1998..Targeted gene disruption of either the Tcf1 or Lef1 gene in mice did not affect TCRalpha gene expression and resulted in an incomplete defect or no defect in thymocyte ..
- The Shh signalling pathway in tooth development: defects in Gli2 and Gli3 mutantsZ Hardcastle
Department of Craniofacial Development, UMDS, Guy s Hospital, London Bridge, London SE1 9RT, UK
Development 125:2803-11. 1998..These results show an essential role for Shh signalling in tooth development that involves functional redundancy of downstream Gli genes...
- Sonic hedgehog signaling is essential for hair developmentB St-Jacques
Molecular and Cellular Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
Curr Biol 8:1058-68. 1998..To address the role of Shh in the hair follicle, we have examined Shh null mutant mice...
- Wnt3a-/--like phenotype and limb deficiency in Lef1(-/-)Tcf1(-/-) miceJ Galceran
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Departments of Microbiology and Biochemistry, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Genes Dev 13:709-17. 1999..However, targeted gene inactivations of Lef1, Tcf1, or Tcf4 in the mouse do not produce phenotypes that mimic any known Wnt mutation...
- Submucosal gland development in the airway is controlled by lymphoid enhancer binding factor 1 (LEF1)D Duan
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology and Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa College of Medicine, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
Development 126:4441-53. 1999Previous studies have demonstrated that transcription of the lymphoid enhancer binding factor 1 (Lef1) gene is upregulated in submucosal gland progenitor cells just prior to gland bud formation in the developing ferret trachea...
- Multiple roles for activated LEF/TCF transcription complexes during hair follicle development and differentiationR Dasgupta
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Molecular Genetics and Cell Biology and Committee on Developmental Biology, The University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Development 126:4557-68. 1999..mice, TOPGAL expression was directly stimulated by a stabilized form of beta -catenin, but was also dependent upon LEF1/TCF3 in skin...
- Hippocampus development and generation of dentate gyrus granule cells is regulated by LEF1J Galceran
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Microbiology, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Development 127:469-82. 2000b>Lef1 and other genes of the LEF1/TCF family of transcription factors are nuclear mediators of Wnt signaling. Here we examine the expression pattern and functional importance of Lef1 in the developing forebrain of the mouse...
- Wnt signaling regulates B lymphocyte proliferation through a LEF-1 dependent mechanismT Reya
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of California, San Francisco, 94143, USA
Immunity 13:15-24. 2000..We further show that Lef1-/- pro-B cells display elevated levels of fas and c-myc transcription, providing a potential mechanism for their ..
- Sonic hedgehog regulates growth and morphogenesis of the toothH R Dassule
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, The Biolabs, Divinity Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Development 127:4775-85. 2000..However, the enamel knot, a putative organizer of crown formation, is present and expresses Fgf4, Wnt10b, Bmp2 and Lef1, as in the wild type...
- Parathyroid hormone-related protein maintains mammary epithelial fate and triggers nipple skin differentiation during embryonic breast developmentJ Foley
Medical Sciences, Indiana University School of Medicine, Bloomington, IN 47405, USA
Development 128:513-25. 2001..Finally, PTHrP signaling regulates the epidermal and mesenchymal expression of LEF1 and (&bgr;)-catenin, suggesting that these changes in cell fate involve an interaction between the PTHrP and ..
- beta-Catenin controls hair follicle morphogenesis and stem cell differentiation in the skinJ Huelsken
Max Delbrueck Center for Molecular Medicine, Robert Roessle Strasse 10, 13092, Berlin, Germany
Cell 105:533-45. 2001..Further analysis demonstrates that beta-catenin is essential for fate decisions of skin stem cells: in the absence of beta-catenin, stem cells fail to differentiate into follicular keratinocytes, but instead adopt an epidermal fate...
- Rescue of a Wnt mutation by an activated form of LEF-1: regulation of maintenance but not initiation of Brachyury expressionJ Galceran
Gene Center and Institute of Biochemistry, University of Munich, Feodor Lynenstrasse 25, 81377 Munich, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:8668-73. 2001..Consistent with this view, mice carrying mutations in either the Wnt3a gene or in both transcription factor genes Lef1 and Tcf1 were previously found to show a similar defect in the formation of paraxial mesoderm in the gastrulating ..
- Expression of Tcf/Lef and sFrp and localization of beta-catenin in the developing mouse lungM Tebar
Department of Pulmonology, Leiden University Medical Center, NL 2300 RC, Leiden, The Netherlands
Mech Dev 109:437-40. 2001..5 onward), and adjacent mesenchyme. Tcf1, Lef1, Tcf3, Tcf4, sFrp1, sFrp2 and sFrp4 were also expressed in the PE, AE, and adjacent mesenchyme in specific spatio-..
- Role of FGF10/FGFR2b signaling during mammary gland development in the mouse embryoArnaud André Mailleux
UMR144 CNRS Institut Curie, 26 rue d Ulm 75248 Paris Cedex 05, France
Development 129:53-60. 2002..We have investigated the molecular mechanisms of mammary placode development using Lef1 as a marker for the epithelial component of the placode, and mice deficient for Fgf10 or Fgfr2b, both of which fail ..
- Expression of DeltaNLef1 in mouse epidermis results in differentiation of hair follicles into squamous epidermal cysts and formation of skin tumoursCatherin Niemann
Imperial Cancer Research Fund, 44 Lincoln s Inn Fields, London WC2A 3PX, UK
Development 129:95-109. 2002To examine the consequences of repressing beta-catenin/Lef1 signalling in mouse epidermis, we expressed a DeltaNLef1 transgene, which lacks the beta-catenin binding site, under the control of the keratin 14 promoter...
- Regulation of hair follicle development by the TNF signal ectodysplasin and its receptor EdarJohanna Laurikkala
Institute of Biotechnology, Viikki Biocenter, 00014 University of Helsinki, Finland
Development 129:2541-53. 2002..and hair follicles, we analyzed the expression and regulation of Eda and Edar in wild type as well as Tabby and Lef1 mutant mouse embryos...
- WNT signals are required for the initiation of hair follicle developmentThomas Andl
Department of Dermatology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Dev Cell 2:643-53. 2002..This phenotype indicates that activation of WNT signaling in the skin precedes, and is required for, localized expression of regulatory genes and initiation of hair follicle placode formation...
- Identification of a promoter-specific transcriptional activation domain at the C terminus of the Wnt effector protein T-cell factor 4Andreas Hecht
Max Planck Institut fur Immunbiologie, Stubeweg 51, D 79108 Freiburg, Germany
J Biol Chem 278:3776-85. 2003..We found that TCF4E but not LEF1 supported beta-catenin-dependent activation of the Cdx1 promoter, whereas LEF1 specifically activated the Siamois ..
- Links between signal transduction, transcription and adhesion in epithelial bud developmentColin Jamora
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Laboratory of Mammalian Cell Biology and Development, The Rockefeller University, New York, New York 10021, USA
Nature 422:317-22. 2003..signals: a Wnt protein to stabilize beta-catenin, and a bone morphogenetic protein (BMP) inhibitor to produce Lef1. Beta-catenin then binds to, and activates, Lef1 transcription complexes that appear to act uncharacteristically by ..
- Smad4 and beta-catenin co-activators functionally interact with lymphoid-enhancing factor to regulate graded expression of Msx2Samer M Hussein
Brain Tumor Research Center, Montreal Neurological Institute, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec H3A 2B4, Canada
J Biol Chem 278:48805-14. 2003..is mediated via the cooperative binding of Smad4 at two Smad binding elements and of lymphoid enhancing factor (Lef1) at two Lef1/TCF binding sites...
- Wnt signaling mutants have decreased dentate granule cell production and radial glial scaffolding abnormalitiesCheng Ji Zhou
Department of Neurology, Programs in Neuroscience and Developmental Biology, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143 0435, USA
J Neurosci 24:121-6. 2004..2000). We examined the hippocampal phenotype of single LRP6 mutant mice as well as LRP6/Lef1 double mutant mice...
- PITX2, beta-catenin and LEF-1 interact to synergistically regulate the LEF-1 promoterUsha Vadlamudi
Department of Biological Science, The University of Tulsa, 600 S College Ave, Tulsa, OK 74104 3189, USA
J Cell Sci 118:1129-37. 2005..LEF-1 and beta-catenin interactions with PITX2 provide new mechanisms for the regulation of PITX2 transcriptional activity...
- Lef1 is required for the transition of Wnt signaling from mesenchymal to epithelial cells in the mouse embryonic mammary glandKata Boras-Granic
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, 6318 Medical Sciences Building, 1 King s College Road, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5S 1A8
Dev Biol 295:219-31. 2006..b>Lef1-mediated canonical Wnt signaling is required for morphogenesis of these skin appendages during embryogenesis...
- Lhx2 maintains stem cell character in hair folliclesHorace Rhee
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Rockefeller University, 1230 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021
Science 312:1946-9. 2006..Using gain- and loss-of-function studies, we uncovered a role for Lhx2 in maintaining the growth and undifferentiated properties of hair follicle progenitors...
- Dynamic expression of Runx1 in skin affects hair structureEli Raveh
Department of Cell and Animal Biology, Silberman Life Sciences Institute, Edmond Safra Campus at Givat Ram, The Hebrew University, Jerusalem 91904, Israel
Mech Dev 123:842-50. 2006..The data delineate Runx1 as a novel specific marker of several hair follicle cell types and sheds light on its role in hair morphogenesis and differentiation...
- Mapping canonical Wnt signaling in the developing and adult retinaHong Liu
Molecular Medicine Program, Ottawa Health Research Institute, 501 Smyth Road, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 47:5088-97. 2006..This study was undertaken to characterize activation of the Wnt canonical pathway and its relevance to cell type populations in the developing and adult retina...
- Molecular interactions between Tbx3 and Bmp4 and a model for dorsoventral positioning of mammary gland developmentKyoung Won Cho
Division in Anatomy and Developmental Biology, Department of Oral Biology, Research Center for Orofacial Hard Tissue Regeneration, Brain Korea21 Project, College of Dentistry, Yonsei Center of Biotechnology, Yonsei University, Seoul 120 752, Korea
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:16788-93. 2006..In addition, when BMP signaling was inhibited by NOGGIN, Lef1 expression was lost...
- Continuous tooth generation in mouse is induced by activated epithelial Wnt/beta-catenin signalingElina Järvinen
Developmental Biology Program, Institute of Biotechnology, Viikki Biocenter, P O Box 56, University of Helsinki, FIN 00014 Helsinki, Finland
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:18627-32. 2006..These results may implicate Wnt signaling in tooth renewal, a capacity that was all but lost when mammals evolved progressively more complicated tooth shapes...
- Gata-3 is an essential regulator of mammary-gland morphogenesis and luminal-cell differentiationMarie Liesse Asselin-Labat
VBCRC Laboratory, The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, Parkville, Victoria 3050, Australia
Nat Cell Biol 9:201-9. 2007..These studies provide evidence for the existence of an epithelial hierarchy within the mammary gland and establish Gata-3 as a critical regulator of luminal differentiation...
- Wnt signaling interacts with Shh to regulate taste papilla developmentKen Iwatsuki
Department of Neuroscience, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, 1425 Madison Avenue, New York, NY 10029, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:2253-8. 2007..The elimination of Wnt/beta-catenin signaling in either Lef1 or Wnt10b knockout mice resulted in down-regulation of Shh expression...
- Wnt3a regulates Lef-1 expression during airway submucosal gland morphogenesisRyan R Driskell
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Dev Biol 305:90-102. 2007..These findings provide the first in vivo evidence that Wnt3a can transcriptionally regulate the Lef-1 gene...
- Wnt signaling mediates regional specification in the vertebrate faceSamantha A Brugmann
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Development 134:3283-95. 2007..Mice carrying compound null mutations in the nuclear mediators Lef1 and Tcf4 exhibited radically altered facial features that culminated in a hyperteloric appearance and a ..
- Wnt/beta-catenin signaling directs multiple stages of tooth morphogenesisFei Liu
Department of Dermatology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Dev Biol 313:210-24. 2008....
- Cooperative control via lymphoid enhancer factor 1/T cell factor 3 and estrogen receptor-alpha for uterine gene regulation by estrogenSanhita Ray
Division of Reproductive and Developmental Biology, Department of Pediatrics, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 2678, USA
Mol Endocrinol 22:1125-40. 2008..Collectively, these studies support a mechanism that integration of a nonclassically induced beta-catenin/Lef-1/Tcf-3 signaling with ERalpha is necessary for estrogen-dependent endogenous gene regulation in uterine biology...
- Activation of beta-catenin signaling by Rspo1 controls differentiation of the mammalian ovaryAnne Amandine Chassot
INSERM, U636, F 06108 Nice, France
Hum Mol Genet 17:1264-77. 2008..Thus, a balance between Sox9 and beta-catenin activation determines the fate of the gonad, with Rspo1 acting as a crucial regulator of canonical beta-catenin signaling required for female development...
- An FGF-WNT gene regulatory network controls lung mesenchyme developmentYongjun Yin
Department of Developmental Biology, Washington University School of Medicine, Campus Box 8103, 660 S Euclid Avenue, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Dev Biol 319:426-36. 2008..Together, both FGF and WNT signaling pathways function to sustain mesenchymal growth and coordinate epithelial morphogenesis during the pseudoglandular stage of lung development...
- TGF-beta type I receptor Alk5 regulates tooth initiation and mandible patterning in a type II receptor-independent mannerHu Zhao
Center for Craniofacial Molecular Biology, School of Dentistry, University of Southern California, 2250 Alcazar Street, CSA 103, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Dev Biol 320:19-29. 2008..There is an intrinsic requirement for Alk5 signal in regulating the fate of CNC cells during tooth and mandible development...
- Dlx3 is a crucial regulator of hair follicle differentiation and cyclingJoonsung Hwang
Developmental Skin Biology Unit, NIAMS, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Development 135:3149-59. 2008....
- RUNX3 attenuates beta-catenin/T cell factors in intestinal tumorigenesisKosei Ito
Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, Proteos, 61 Biopolis Drive, Singapore 138673
Cancer Cell 14:226-37. 2008..Taken together, these data demonstrate that RUNX3 functions as a tumor suppressor by attenuating Wnt signaling...
- Reciprocal requirements for EDA/EDAR/NF-kappaB and Wnt/beta-catenin signaling pathways in hair follicle inductionYuhang Zhang
Departments of Dermatology and Cell and Developmental Biology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Dev Cell 17:49-61. 2009..These data reveal a complex interplay and interdependence of Wnt/beta-catenin and EDA/EDAR/NF-kappaB signaling pathways in initiation and maintenance of primary hair follicle placodes...
- Wnt/beta-catenin signaling plays an essential role in activation of odontogenic mesenchyme during early tooth developmentJianquan Chen
Department of Biology, University of Rochester, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
Dev Biol 334:174-85. 2009..We show that mesenchymal beta-catenin function is required for expression of Lef1 and Fgf3 in the developing tooth mesenchyme and for induction of primary enamel knot in the developing tooth ..
- Lrp6-mediated canonical Wnt signaling is required for lip formation and fusionLanying Song
Department of Cell Biology and Human Anatomy, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Development 136:3161-71. 2009..Thus, the Lrp6-mediated Wnt signaling pathway is required for lip development by orchestrating two distinctively different morphogenetic movements...
- Differential activity of Wnt/beta-catenin signaling in the embryonic mouse thalamusKrista K Bluske
Department of Neuroscience, and Graduate Program in Neuroscience, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455, USA
Dev Dyn 238:3297-309. 2009..Analysis of mice with enhanced or reduced Shh signal showed that Axin2 expression is similar to controls. These results suggest that differential Wnt signaling may play a role in patterning the thalamus independent of Shh signaling...
- LEF1/beta-catenin complex regulates transcription of the Cav3.1 calcium channel gene (Cacna1g) in thalamic neurons of the adult brainMarta B Wisniewska
International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, 02 109 Warsaw, Poland
J Neurosci 30:4957-69. 2010beta-Catenin, together with LEF1/TCF transcription factors, activates genes involved in the proliferation and differentiation of neuronal precursor cells...
- MicroRNAs regulate pituitary development, and microRNA 26b specifically targets lymphoid enhancer factor 1 (Lef-1), which modulates pituitary transcription factor 1 (Pit-1) expressionZichao Zhang
Center for Environmental and Genetic Medicine, Institute of Biosciences and Technology, Texas A and M University Health Science Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Biol Chem 285:34718-28. 2010..This study demonstrates that microRNAs are critical for anterior pituitary development and that miR-26b regulates Pit-1 expression by inhibiting Lef-1 expression and may promote Pit-1 lineage differentiation during pituitary development...
- Combinatorial regulation of optic cup progenitor cell fate by SOX2 and PAX6Danielle Matsushima
UNC Neuroscience Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Development 138:443-54. 2011..Collectively, these results demonstrate that precise regulation of the ratio of SOX2 to PAX6 is necessary to ensure accurate progenitor cell specification, and place SOX2 as a decisive factor of neural competence in the retina...
- Trps1 activates a network of secreted Wnt inhibitors and transcription factors crucial to vibrissa follicle morphogenesisKatherine A Fantauzzo
Department of Dermatology, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Development 139:203-14. 2012..Our findings identify Trps1 as a novel regulator of the Wnt signaling pathway and of early hair follicle progenitors in the developing vibrissa follicle...
- Dermal β-catenin activity in response to epidermal Wnt ligands is required for fibroblast proliferation and hair follicle initiationDemeng Chen
Department of Biology, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Development 139:1522-33. 2012..These data reveal functional roles for dermal Wnt signaling/β-catenin in fibroblast proliferation and in the epidermal hair follicle initiation program...
- The TCF-1 and LEF-1 transcription factors have cooperative and opposing roles in T cell development and malignancyShuyang Yu
Department of Microbiology, Carver College of Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Immunity 37:813-26. 2012..that TCF-1 directly repressed LEF-1 expression in early thymocytes and that conditional inactivation of Lef1 greatly delayed or prevented T cell malignancy in Tcf7(-/-) mice...
- FGF4, a direct target of LEF1 and Wnt signaling, can rescue the arrest of tooth organogenesis in Lef1(-/-) miceKlaus Kratochwil
Institute of Molecular Biology, Austrian Academy of Sciences, 5020 Salzburg, Austria
Genes Dev 16:3173-85. 2002Lymphoid enhancer factor (LEF1), a nuclear mediator of Wnt signaling, is required for the formation of organs that depend on inductive interactions between epithelial and mesenchymal tissues...
- Activation of mouse RAG-2 promoter by Myc-associated zinc finger proteinChun Xiao Wu
Department of Immunology, Faculty of Medicine, Toyama Medical and Pharmaceutical University, 2630, Sugitani, Toyama 930 0194, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 317:1096-102. 2004..Furthermore, we show that MAZ synergistically activates the murine RAG-2 promoter with Pax-5/c-Myb/LEF-1 complex. These results first demonstrate that MAZ participates in activation of mouse RAG-2 promoter...
- LEF1 is a critical epithelial survival factor during tooth morphogenesisTomoyo Sasaki
Center for Craniofacial Molecular Biology, School of Dentistry, University of Southern California, 2250 Alcazar Street, CSA 103, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Dev Biol 278:130-43. 2005b>LEF1 is a cell-type-specific transcription factor and mediates Wnt signaling pathway by association with its co-activator beta-catenin...
- Lymphocyte enhancer-binding factor 1 (Lef1) inhibits terminal differentiation of osteoblastsRachel A Kahler
Graduate Program in Microbiology, Immunology and Cancer Biology, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455, USA
J Cell Biochem 97:969-83. 2006b>Lef1 is a transcriptional regulator of the Wnt/beta-catenin signaling cascade. Wnts directly augment bone formation and osteoblast differentiation from mesenchymal stem cells by receptor-mediated pathways involving Lrp5 and Frizzled...
- Canonical Wnt signaling in differentiated osteoblasts controls osteoclast differentiationDonald A Glass
Department of Molecular and Human Genetics, Bone Disease Program of Texas, Houston, 77030, USA
Dev Cell 8:751-64. 2005....
- Parathyroid hormone-related protein activates Wnt signaling to specify the embryonic mammary mesenchymeMinoti Hiremath
Department of Biological Sciences, Boise State University, Boise, ID 83725, USA
Development 139:4239-49. 2012..differentiation of the ventral epidermis into nipple-like skin and is accompanied by ectopic expression of Lef1, β-catenin and other markers of the mammary mesenchyme...
- Novel regulatory interactions revealed by studies of murine limb pattern in Wnt-7a and En-1 mutantsJ A Cygan
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, The Biolabs, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
Development 124:5021-32. 1997..Unlike the normal AER, ectopic AER formation is dependent upon Wnt-7a activity, indicating that distinct genetic mechanisms may be involved in primary and secondary AER formation...
- Alx-4, a transcriptional activator whose expression is restricted to sites of epithelial-mesenchymal interactionsR Hudson
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Dev Dyn 213:159-69. 1998..Taken together, our results demonstrate that Alx-4 is a potent transcriptional activator that is expressed at sites of epithelial-mesenchymal interactions during murine embryonic development...
- CNP gene expression is activated by Wnt signaling and correlates with Wnt4 expression during renal injuryKameswaran Surendran
Department of Pediatrics, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 284:F653-62. 2003..These findings suggest that Wnt-4 stimulates Nppc in a TCF/LEF-dependent manner after renal injury and thus may contribute to limiting renal fibrosis...
- Orpk mouse model of polycystic kidney disease reveals essential role of primary cilia in pancreatic tissue organizationDavid A Cano
Diabetes Center, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Development 131:3457-67. 2004..Thus, polaris and primary cilia function are required for the maturation and maintenance of proper tissue organization in the pancreas...
- Identification of the scaramanga gene implicates Neuregulin3 in mammary gland specificationBeatrice Howard
The Breakthrough Breast Cancer Research Centre, Institute of Cancer Research, London SW3 6JB, United Kingdom
Genes Dev 19:2078-90. 2005..Finally, Neuregulin3 (Nrg3)-soaked beads can induce expression of the early bud marker Lef1 in mouse embryo explant cultures, and epithelial bud formation can be observed histologically, suggesting that ..
- Gene expression analysis of myeloid and lymphoid lineage markers during mouse haematopoiesisE Sakhinia
Division of Laboratory and Regenerative Medicine, School of Medicine, Faculty of Medical and Human Sciences, The University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
Br J Haematol 135:105-16. 2006..To overcome this, the expression profile of lymphoid and myeloid-associated genes (LEF1, EBF, CD19, Sox-4, B29, CD45, C-fms, lysozyme, PU...
- Transcription factor epiprofin is essential for tooth morphogenesis by regulating epithelial cell fate and tooth numberTakashi Nakamura
Laboratory of Cell and Developmental Biology, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 4370, USA
J Biol Chem 283:4825-33. 2008..Thus, Epfn has multiple functions for cell fate determination of the dental epithelium by regulating both proliferation and differentiation, preventing continuous tooth budding and generation...
- The apical ectodermal ridge is a timer for generating distal limb progenitorsPengfei Lu
Department of Anatomy and Program in Developmental Biology, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0452, USA
Development 135:1395-405. 2008..Taken together, we have uncovered a novel mechanism, whereby the AER regulates the number of autopod progenitors by determining the onset of their generation...
- Dynamic expression of Syndecan-1 during hair follicle morphogenesisGavin D Richardson
School of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Durham University, Durham DH1 3LE, UK
Gene Expr Patterns 9:454-60. 2009..Furthermore we show by using gene targeted mice lacking Syndecan-1 expression that Syndecan-1 is not required for follicle initiation and development...
- Essential mesenchymal role of small GTPase Rac1 in interdigital programmed cell death during limb developmentDai Suzuki
Department of Biochemistry, Showa University, Hatanodai, Shinagawa, Tokyo, Japan
Dev Biol 335:396-406. 2009..Our findings from Rac1 conditional mutants indicate crucial roles for Rac1 in limb bud morphogenesis, especially interdigital programmed cell death...
- Lymphoid enhancer binding factor 1 regulates transcription through gene loopingKangsun Yun
Department of Life Sciences, Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology, Gwangju, Korea
J Immunol 183:5129-37. 2009..We have previously shown that IL-1beta-induced lymphoid enhancer binding factor 1 (Lef1) regulates the transcription of its target genes COX2 and MMP13 in mouse chondrocytes by ..
- Abnormal hair follicle development and altered cell fate of follicular keratinocytes in transgenic mice expressing DeltaNp63alphaRose Anne Romano
Department of Biochemistry, Center for Excellence in Bioinformatics and Life Sciences, State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY 14203, USA
Development 137:1431-9. 2010..Our data provide evidence supporting a role for DeltaNp63alpha in actively suppressing hair follicle differentiation and directing IFE cell lineage commitment...
- Beta-catenin/LEF1 activated enamelin expression in ameloblast-like cellsHua Tian
Department of Cariology and Endodontology, Peking University School and Hospital of Stomatology, Beijing 100081, China
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 398:519-24. 2010..However, mechanisms of enamelin transcription regulation are not clear. beta-Catenin/LEF1 is a key transcriptional complex involved in tooth development...
- Wnt/β-catenin signaling is disrupted in the extra-toes (Gli3(Xt/Xt) ) mutant from early stages of forebrain development, concomitant with anterior neural plate patterning defectsVassiliki Fotaki
Genes and Development Group, Centre for Integrative Physiology, School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh EH8 9XD, United Kingdom
J Comp Neurol 519:1640-57. 2011..Our data reveal that Gli3 is required at the neural plate stage to regulate Wnt expression and Wnt/β-catenin signaling in the presumptive forebrain and confirm its previously proposed role in patterning the anterior neural plate...
- Runx1 modulates adult hair follicle stem cell emergence and maintenance from distinct embryonic skin compartmentsKaren M Osorio
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
J Cell Biol 193:235-50. 2011..The latter involves Lef1 and Wnt signaling modulation in opposing directions from two distinct skin compartments...
- Analysis of epithelial-mesenchymal interactions in the initial morphogenesis of the mammalian toothH R Dassule
The Biolabs, Harvard University, 16 Divinity Avenue, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
Dev Biol 202:215-27. 1998..For example, epithelially expressed Bmp4 induces Msx1 and Lef1 as well as itself in the underlying mesenchyme...
- PDGF-A and PDGFR-alpha regulate tooth formation via autocrine mechanism during mandibular morphogenesis in vitroY Chai
Center for Craniofacial Molecular Biology, School of Dentistry, University of Southern California, Los Angeles 90033, USA
Dev Dyn 213:500-11. 1998..These data suggest that PDGF-A and its cognate receptor (PDGFR-alpha) regulate the size and stage of tooth development via an autocrine mechanism during odontogenesis in vitro...
- Gene expression patterns associated with suppression of odontogenesis in mouse and vole diastema regionsS V Keränen
Developmental Biology Program, Institute of Biotechnology, Biocenter 1, University of Helsinki, P O Box 56, Helsinki, FIN 00014, Finland
Dev Genes Evol 209:495-506. 1999..tooth germs we compared the expression patterns of several developmental regulatory genes (Bmp2, Bmp4, Fgf4, Fgf8, Lef1, Msx1, Msx2, p21, Pitx2, Pax9 and Shh) between molars and diastema buds of mice and voles...
- Transgenically ectopic expression of Bmp4 to the Msx1 mutant dental mesenchyme restores downstream gene expression but represses Shh and Bmp2 in the enamel knot of wild type tooth germX Zhao
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology and Center for Bioenvironmental Research, Tulane University, New Orleans, LA 70118, USA
Mech Dev 99:29-38. 2000..Expression of Shh and Bmp2 in the enamel knot may not represent critical signals for tooth patterning...
- The LEF1/beta -catenin complex activates movo1, a mouse homolog of Drosophila ovo required for epidermal appendage differentiationBaoan Li
Department of Biological Chemistry, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:6064-9. 2002..Additionally, we show that the movo1 promoter is activated by the lymphoid enhancer factor 1 (LEF1)/beta-catenin complex, a transducer of wnt signaling...
- Lymphoid enhancer factor-1 blocks adenomatous polyposis coli-mediated nuclear export and degradation of beta-catenin. Regulation by histone deacetylase 1Beric R Henderson
Westmead Institute for Cancer Research, University of Sydney, Westmead Millennium Institute at Westmead Hospital, New South Wales 2145, Australia
J Biol Chem 277:24258-64. 2002..beta-catenin in the nucleus was down-regulated by histone deacetylase 1, and this correlated with a decrease in LEF1 transcription activity...
- MECHANISMS OF RAAV TRANSDUCTION IN THE AIRWAYJOHN ENGELHARDT; Fiscal Year: 2008..Further elucidation of rAAV transduction biology in the airway will aid in the development of clinically applicable methods for increasing the efficacy of rAAV gene transfer in vivo. ..
- Redox-mediated NF-kappaB activation by LPS and IL-1JOHN ENGELHARDT; Fiscal Year: 2008..Findings from these studies may lead to alternative therapeutic approaches targeting the liver by which to abrogate the detrimental effects of systemic cytokine production during sepsis. ..
- ROLES OF SOX C GENES IN SKELETOGENESISVERONIQUE M LEFEBVRE; Fiscal Year: 2010....