Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Myod1
Description: myogenic differentiation 1
Alias: AI503393, MYF3, MyoD, Myod-1, bHLHc1, myoblast determination protein 1
Publications161 found, 100 shown here
- Activation of muscle-specific genes in pigment, nerve, fat, liver, and fibroblast cell lines by forced expression of MyoDH Weintraub
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98104
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 86:5434-8. 1989b>MyoD is a master regulatory gene for myogenesis. Under the control of a retroviral long terminal repeat, MyoD was expressed in a variety of differentiated cell types by using either a DNA transfection vector or a retrovirus...
- MyoD is required for myogenic stem cell function in adult skeletal muscleL A Megeney
Institute for Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, Cancer Research Group, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Genes Dev 10:1173-83. 1996To investigate the function of MyoD in adult skeletal muscle, we interbred MyoD mutant mice with mdx mice, a model for Duchenne and Becker muscular dystrophy...
- MyoD or Myf-5 is required for the formation of skeletal muscleM A Rudnicki
Institute for Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Cell 75:1351-9. 1993Mice carrying null mutations in the myogenic regulatory factors Myf-5 or MyoD have apparently normal skeletal muscle...
- Redefining the genetic hierarchies controlling skeletal myogenesis: Pax-3 and Myf-5 act upstream of MyoDS Tajbakhsh
Department of Molecular Biology, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Unité de Recherche Associe 1947, Pasteur Institute, Paris, France
Cell 89:127-38. 1997..b>MyoD does not rescue this double mutant phenotype since activation of this gene proves to be dependent on either Pax-3 ..
- Embryonic activation of the myoD gene is regulated by a highly conserved distal control elementD J Goldhamer
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia 19104
Development 121:637-49. 1995b>MyoD belongs to a small family of basic helix-loop-helix transcription factors implicated in skeletal muscle lineage determination and differentiation...
- Two upstream enhancers collaborate to regulate the spatial patterning and timing of MyoD transcription during mouse developmentJ C Chen
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 6058, USA
Dev Dyn 221:274-88. 2001b>MyoD is a member of the basic-helix-loop-helix (bHLH) transcription factor family, which regulates muscle determination and differentiation in vertebrates...
- The core enhancer is essential for proper timing of MyoD activation in limb buds and branchial archesJennifer C J Chen
Advanced Technology Laboratory, Center for Regenerative Biology, Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT 06269, USA
Dev Biol 265:502-12. 2004Transgenic analyses have defined two transcriptional enhancers that regulate MyoD expression in mammals, the core enhancer and distal regulatory region; these enhancers exhibit complementary activities and together are sufficient to ..
- Pax3:Foxc2 reciprocal repression in the somite modulates muscular versus vascular cell fate choice in multipotent progenitorsMounia Lagha
CNRS URA 2578, Departement de Biologie du Developpement, Institut Pasteur, 75015 Paris, France
Dev Cell 17:892-9. 2009..This provides insight into how cell fate choices are orchestrated by these lineage genes in the dermomyotome...
- Myogenic determination occurs independently in somites and limb budsB Kablar
Institute for Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, Cancer Research Group, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, L8S 4K1, Canada
Dev Biol 206:219-31. 1999Gene targeting has indicated that the bHLH transcription factors Myf-5 and MyoD are required for myogenic determination because skeletal myoblasts and myofibers are entirely ablated in mouse embryos lacking both Myf-5 and MyoD...
- A role for histone deacetylase HDAC1 in modulating the transcriptional activity of MyoD: inhibition of the myogenic programA Mal
Department of Molecular Biology, Lerner Research Institute, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
EMBO J 20:1739-53. 2001The molecular mechanism(s) that are responsible for suppressing MyoD's transcriptional activities in undifferentiated skeletal muscle cells have not yet been determined...
- Essential and redundant functions of the MyoD distal regulatory region revealed by targeted mutagenesisJennifer C J Chen
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Dev Biol 245:213-23. 2002Transgenic analyses have defined two MyoD enhancers in mammals, the core enhancer and distal regulatory region (DRR); these enhancers exhibit complementary activities and together are sufficient to recapitulate MyoD expression in ..
- MyoD gene suppression by Oct4 is required for reprogramming in myoblasts to produce induced pluripotent stem cellsShuichi Watanabe
Stem Cell Institute, University of Minnesota Medical School, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455, USA
Stem Cells 29:505-16. 2011..Continuous expression of the MyoD gene, a master transcription factor for skeletal muscle specification, inhibited this reprogramming process in ..
- A Pax3/Pax7-dependent population of skeletal muscle progenitor cellsFrederic Relaix
C N R S URA 2578, Department of Developmental Biology, Pasteur Institute, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Nature 435:948-53. 2005....
- Early expression of the myogenic regulatory gene, myf-5, in precursor cells of skeletal muscle in the mouse embryoM O Ott
Department of Molecular Biology, CNRS UA 1148, Pasteur Institute, Paris, France
Development 111:1097-107. 1991..case, as in somites, myf-5 expression precedes that of the two related myogenic regulatory sequences, myogenin and MyoD1, and indeed any other skeletal muscle marker examined to date...
- The regulation of MyoD gene expression: conserved elements mediate expression in embryonic axial muscleA Asakura
Clinical Research Division, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98104, USA
Dev Biol 171:386-98. 1995To analyze the transcriptional regulatory mechanisms of the myoD gene, we generated transgenic mice bearing a lacZ gene driven by a 6-kb 5'-flanking sequence of the mouse myoD gene including a proximal regulatory region (PRR) and a distal ..
- Muscle deficiency and neonatal death in mice with a targeted mutation in the myogenin geneP Hasty
Institute of Molecular Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030
Nature 364:501-6. 1993..Myogenin-mutant mice differ from mice carrying mutations in genes for the related myogenic factors Myf5 and MyoD, which have no muscle defects. Myogenin is therefore essential for the development of functional skeletal muscle.
- Sonic hedgehog is a survival factor for hypaxial muscles during mouse developmentM Kruger
Institute of Physiological Chemistry, University of Halle Wittenberg, Hollystr 1, Germany
Development 128:743-52. 2001..Our data suggest that Shh acts similarly in both somitic compartments as a survival and proliferation factor and not as a primary inducer of myogenesis...
- Cranial muscle defects of Pitx2 mutants result from specification defects in the first branchial archHung Ping Shih
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, College of Sciences, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR 97331, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:5907-12. 2007..5. The diminutive first branchial arch of mutants could not be explained by loss of mesoderm alone, suggesting that Pitx2 contributes to the earliest specification of jaw itself...
- Sox8 is a specific marker for muscle satellite cells and inhibits myogenesisKaty Schmidt
Institut für Biochemie der Universität Erlangen Nürnberg, D 91054 Erlangen, Germany
J Biol Chem 278:29769-75. 2003..Concomitantly, expression of MyoD and myogenin decreased and basal as well as MyoD-induced activities of the myogenin promoter were strongly reduced ..
- VITO-1 is an essential cofactor of TEF1-dependent muscle-specific gene regulationStefan Günther
Institute of Physiological Chemistry, University of Halle Wittenberg, Hollystrasse 1, 06097 Halle, Germany
Nucleic Acids Res 32:791-802. 2004..Although VITO-1 alone is not sufficient to initiate myogenic conversion of 10T1/2 fibroblastic cells, it enhanced MyoD-mediated myogenic conversion...
- MyoD induces myogenic differentiation through cooperation of its NH2- and COOH-terminal regionsJeff Ishibashi
Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario K1N 6N5, Canada
J Cell Biol 171:471-82. 2005b>MyoD and Myf5 are basic helix-loop-helix transcription factors that play key but redundant roles in specifying myogenic progenitors during embryogenesis...
- Pax-3 is required for the development of limb muscles: a possible role for the migration of dermomyotomal muscle progenitor cellsE Bober
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Technical University of Braunschweig, Germany
Development 120:603-12. 1994..demonstrated by the lack of hybridization with various probes for myogenic transcription factors (Myf-5, myogenin, MyoD) but make apparently normal axial muscles...
- A somitic compartment of tendon progenitorsAva E Brent
Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Cell 113:235-48. 2003..The tendon primordia thus form in a location abutting the two tissues that the mature tendons must ultimately connect. Tendon progenitor formation may reveal a general mechanism for the specification of other somitic subcompartments...
- Progenitors of skeletal muscle satellite cells express the muscle determination gene, MyoDOnur Kanisicak
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, Center for Regenerative Biology, University of Connecticut Stem Cell Institute, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT 06269, USA
Dev Biol 332:131-41. 2009..We developed MyoD(iCre) knockin mice, and used Cre/lox lineage analysis to determine whether satellite cell progenitors express MyoD, ..
- Sonic hedgehog acts cell-autonomously on muscle precursor cells to generate limb muscle diversityClaire Anderson
Department of Biomedical Science, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, United Kingdom
Genes Dev 26:2103-17. 2012..Thus, Shh production in the limb ZPA is essential for the spatiotemporal control of myogenesis and coordinates muscle and skeletal development by acting directly to regulate the formation of specific ventral muscles...
- MyoD(-/-) satellite cells in single-fiber culture are differentiation defective and MRF4 deficientD D Cornelison
Biology Division 156 29, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena 91125, USA
Dev Biol 224:122-37. 2000b>MyoD-deficient mice are without obvious deleterious muscle phenotype during embryogenesis and fetal development, and adults in the laboratory have grossly normal skeletal muscle and life span...
- Mrf4 determines skeletal muscle identity in Myf5:Myod double-mutant miceLina Kassar-Duchossoy
Stem Cells and Development, Department of Developmental Biology, CNRS URA 2578, 25 rue du Dr Roux, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Nature 431:466-71. 2004..Two determination factors of the basic helix-loop-helix myogenic regulatory factor (MRF) family, Myf5 and Myod, are thought to direct this transition because double-mutant mice totally lack skeletal muscle fibres and myoblasts...
- Gli2 and Gli3 have redundant and context-dependent function in skeletal muscle formationAileen McDermott
Department of Biomedical Science, University of Sheffield, Firth Court, Western Bank, Sheffield S10 2TN, UK
Development 132:345-57. 2005..Together, our data demonstrate both positive and negative regulatory functions for Gli2 and Gli3 in the control of Myf5 activation in the epaxial muscle progenitor cells and in dorsoventral and mediolateral patterning of the somite...
- MyoD synergizes with the E-protein HEB beta to induce myogenic differentiationMaura H Parker
Ottawa Health Research Institute, Molecular Medicine Program, 501 Smyth Road, Ottawa, Ontario K1H 8L6, Canada
Mol Cell Biol 26:5771-83. 2006The MyoD family of basic helix-loop-helix transcription factors function as heterodimers with members of the E-protein family to induce myogenic gene activation...
- Sequential expression and redundancy of Pitx2 and Pitx3 genes during muscle developmentAurore L'honoré
Laboratoire de Genetique Moleculaire, Institut de recherches cliniques de Montreal IRCM, 110, avenue des Pins Ouest, Montreal, QC, Canada H2W 1R7
Dev Biol 307:421-33. 2007..These experiments suggest that Pitx genes are important for myogenesis and that Pitx2 and Pitx3 may have partly redundant roles...
- Inhibition of atrogin-1/MAFbx mediated MyoD proteolysis prevents skeletal muscle atrophy in vivoJulie Lagirand-Cantaloube
Laboratoire de Génomique Fonctionnelle et Myogenèse, UMR866 Différenciation Cellulaire et Croissance, INRA UM II, Campus INRA SupAgro, Montpellier, France
PLoS ONE 4:e4973. 2009..The transcription factor MyoD controls myogenic stem cell function and differentiation, and seems necessary to maintain the differentiated ..
- Genetics of muscle determination and developmentH H Arnold
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Technical University of Braunschweig, Germany
Curr Top Dev Biol 48:129-64. 2000..Finally, we present recent evidence on genes that play a role in regeneration of muscle in adult organisms...
- Transdifferentiation of esophageal smooth to skeletal muscle is myogenic bHLH factor-dependentB Kablar
Institute for Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8S 4K1
Development 127:1627-39. 2000..To investigate smooth-to-skeletal esophageal muscle transition, we analyzed Myf5nlacZ knock-in mice, MyoD-lacZ and myogenin-lacZ transgenic embryos with a panel of the antibodies reactive with myogenic regulatory factors (..
- Organization of the region encompassing the human serum amyloid A (SAA) gene family on chromosome 11p15.1G C Sellar
Department of Genetics, Trinity College, University of Dublin, Ireland
Genomics 23:492-5. 1994..Interphase FISH was used to orientate the region relative to the centromere: cen-LDHC-LDHA-SAA1-SAA2-SAA4-SAA3-TP H-D11S18- KCNC1-MYOD1-pter.
- Pax3 modulates expression of the c-Met receptor during limb muscle developmentJ A Epstein
Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93:4213-8. 1996....
- MLP-deficient mice exhibit a disruption of cardiac cytoarchitectural organization, dilated cardiomyopathy, and heart failureS Arber
Friedrich Miescher Institute, Basel, Switzerland
Cell 88:393-403. 1997....
- The transition from proliferation to differentiation is delayed in satellite cells from mice lacking MyoDZ Yablonka-Reuveni
School of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, 98195, USA
Dev Biol 210:440-55. 1999Satellite cells from adult rat muscle coexpress proliferating cell nuclear antigen and MyoD upon entry into the cell cycle, suggesting that MyoD plays a role during the recruitment of satellite cells...
- Uncx4.1 is required for the formation of the pedicles and proximal ribs and acts upstream of Pax9A Mansouri
Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry, Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Am Fassberg 11, D 37077 Gottingen, Germany
Development 127:2251-8. 2000..1 upstream of Pax9 in the caudolateral sclerotome. Our results further indicate that Uncx4.1 may be involved in the differential cell adhesion properties of the somite...
- Dermo-1, a multifunctional basic helix-loop-helix protein, represses MyoD transactivation via the HLH domain, MEF2 interaction, and chromatin deacetylationXue Q Gong
Department of Internal Medicine and the Center for Molecular Medicine and Genetics, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
J Biol Chem 277:12310-7. 2002..the molecular mechanisms that mediate the function of Dermo-1, we generated a series of Dermo-1 mutants and used a MyoD-mediated transcriptional activation model to characterize the roles of its N-terminal, bHLH, and C-terminal ..
- Identification of novel MyoD gene targets in proliferating myogenic stem cellsJeffrey C Wyzykowski
Department of Biological Sciences, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana 47907 1392, USA
Mol Cell Biol 22:6199-208. 2002..control point for skeletal myogenesis revolves around the muscle basic helix-loop-helix gene family that includes MyoD, Myf-5, myogenin, and MRF4...
- Control of facial muscle development by MyoR and capsulinJian Rong Lu
Department of Molecular Biology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, 6000 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, TX 75390 9148, USA
Science 298:2378-81. 2002Members of the MyoD family of basic helix-loop-helix (bHLH) transcription factors control the formation of all skeletal muscles in vertebrates, but little is known of the molecules or mechanisms that confer unique identities to different ..
- Critical role for lysine 133 in the nuclear ubiquitin-mediated degradation of MyoDSabrina Batonnet
Laboratoire de génétique oncologique, UMR 8125 CNRS, 94805 Villejuif, France
J Biol Chem 279:5413-20. 2004The ubiquitin-proteasome system is responsible for the regulation and turnover of the nuclear transcription factor MyoD. The degradation of MyoD can occur via an NH2 terminus-dependent pathway or a lysine-dependent pathway, suggesting ..
- Mutant MyoD lacking Cdc2 phosphorylation sites delays M-phase entryLionel A J Tintignac
Laboratoire de génétique oncologique, Institut Gustave Roussy, 94805 Villejuif, France
Mol Cell Biol 24:1809-21. 2004The transcription factors MyoD and Myf-5 control myoblast identity and differentiation. MyoD and Myf-5 manifest opposite cell cycle-specific expression patterns...
- MyoD targets chromatin remodeling complexes to the myogenin locus prior to forming a stable DNA-bound complexIvana L de la Serna
University of Massachusetts Medical School, Department of Cell Biology, 55 Lake Avenue North, Worcester, MA 01655, USA
Mol Cell Biol 25:3997-4009. 2005..in the presence or absence of a dominant-negative BRG1 ATPase demonstrated that approximately one-third of MyoD-induced genes were highly dependent on SWI/SNF enzymes...
- Pax3/Pax7 mark a novel population of primitive myogenic cells during developmentLina Kassar-Duchossoy
Department of Developmental Biology, Pasteur Institute, Centre Nationale de la Recherche Scientifique Unité de Recherche Associeé 2578, 75724 Paris, Cedex 15, France
Genes Dev 19:1426-31. 2005..These findings identify critical cell populations during lineage restriction, and provide a framework for defining myogenic cell states for therapeutic studies...
- CXCR4 and Gab1 cooperate to control the development of migrating muscle progenitor cellsElena Vasyutina
Max Delbruck Center for Molecular Medicine, 13125 Berlin, Germany
Genes Dev 19:2187-98. 2005..Our analysis reveals a role of SDF1/CXCR4 signaling in the development of migrating muscle progenitors and shows that a threshold number of progenitor cells is required to generate muscle of appropriate size...
- MyoD, Myf5, and the calcineurin pathway activate the developmental myosin heavy chain genesDoris Heidysch Beylkin
Department of Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309 0347, USA
Dev Biol 294:541-53. 2006..that work in conjunction to activate transcription, but only the embryonic MyHC E-boxes bind a complex containing MyoD. In addition, our results reveal activation by calcineurin that is transduced only partially by its conventional ..
- Pitx2 promotes development of splanchnic mesoderm-derived branchiomeric muscleFeiyan Dong
Institute of Biosciences and Technology, Texas A and M System Health Science Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Development 133:4891-9. 2006..Conditional inactivation in mice and manipulation of Pitx2 expression in chick mandible cultures revealed an autonomous function in expansion and survival of branchial arch mesoderm...
- Premature myogenic differentiation and depletion of progenitor cells cause severe muscle hypotrophy in Delta1 mutantsKarin Schuster-Gossler
Institute for Molecular Biology, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Carl Neuberg Strasse 1, Hannover, D 30625 Lower Saxony, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:537-42. 2007....
- Increased survival of muscle stem cells lacking the MyoD gene after transplantation into regenerating skeletal muscleAtsushi Asakura
Stem Cell Institute, Paul and Sheila Wellstone Muscular Dystrophy Center, University of Minnesota Medical School, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:16552-7. 2007b>MyoD is a myogenic master transcription factor that plays an essential role in muscle satellite cell (muscle stem cell) differentiation...
- Magic-factor 1, a partial agonist of Met, induces muscle hypertrophy by protecting myogenic progenitors from apoptosisMarco Cassano
Translational Cardiomyology, Stem Cell Institute Leuven, KULeuven, Leuven, Belgium
PLoS ONE 3:e3223. 2008..In culture, HGF stimulation promotes proliferation of muscle precursors thereby inhibiting their differentiation...
- Properties of branchiomeric and somite-derived muscle development in Tbx1 mutant embryosRaphälle Grifone
Inserm Avenir Group, Developmental Biology Institute of Marseilles Luminy, UMR CNRS 6216 Université de la Méditerranée, Campus de Luminy, Marseille, France
Dev Dyn 237:3071-8. 2008..The critical requirement for Tbx1 during muscle development is thus in the robust onset of myogenic specification in pharyngeal mesoderm...
- Codependent activators direct myoblast-specific MyoD transcriptionPing Hu
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Dev Cell 15:534-46. 2008..Here, we identify MyoD, a key regulator of myogenesis, as a direct target of FoxO3 and Pax3/7 in myoblasts...
- Increased expression of the pro-apoptotic Bcl2 family member PUMA and apoptosis by the muscle regulatory transcription factor MyoD in response to a variety of stimuliTerri J Harford
Department of Biological, Geological, and Environmental Sciences, Cleveland State University, Center for Gene Regulation in Health and Disease, Cleveland, OH 44115, USA
Apoptosis 15:71-82. 2010We have previously reported that the level of MyoD expression correlates with the level of apoptosis that occurs in a subpopulation of skeletal myoblasts induced to differentiate by serum withdrawal...
- Inactivation of MyoD in mice leads to up-regulation of the myogenic HLH gene Myf-5 and results in apparently normal muscle developmentM A Rudnicki
Whitehead Institute, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge 02142
Cell 71:383-90. 1992The myogenic basic HLH transcription factor family of genes, composed of MyoD, myogenin, Myf-5, and Myf-6, are thought to regulate skeletal muscle differentiation...
- The myoD gene family: nodal point during specification of the muscle cell lineageH Weintraub
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98104
Science 251:761-6. 1991The myoD gene converts many differentiated cell types into muscle. MyoD is a member of the basic-helix-loop-helix family of proteins; this 68-amino acid domain in MyoD is necessary and sufficient for myogenesis...
- Transcription factor AP-2 is expressed in neural crest cell lineages during mouse embryogenesisP J Mitchell
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, University of California, Berkeley 94720
Genes Dev 5:105-19. 1991..This embryonic expression pattern is spatially and temporally consistent with a role for AP-2 in regulating transcription of genes involved in the morphogenesis of the peripheral nervous system, face, limbs, skin, and nephric tissues...
- The muscle regulatory gene, Myf-6, has a biphasic pattern of expression during early mouse developmentE Bober
Department of Toxicology, Medical School, University of Hamburg, Germany
J Cell Biol 113:1255-65. 1991..c.). In contrast to other muscle determination genes (MyoD1, myogenin, Myf-5), Myf-6 mRNA is not detected in limb buds or visceral arches and skeletal muscle of the mouse ..
- MyoD1: a nuclear phosphoprotein requiring a Myc homology region to convert fibroblasts to myoblastsS J Tapscott
Department of Genetics, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98104
Science 242:405-11. 1988Expression of a complementary DNA (cDNA) encoding the mouse MyoD1 protein in a variety of fibroblast and adipoblast cell lines converts them to myogenic cells...
- Expression of a single transfected cDNA converts fibroblasts to myoblastsR L Davis
Department of Genetics, Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98104
Cell 51:987-1000. 1987..The major open reading frame encoded by this cDNA contains a short protein segment similar to a sequence present in the myc protein family...
- Disruption of the mouse MRF4 gene identifies multiple waves of myogenesis in the myotomeA Patapoutian
Division of Biology 156 29, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena 91125, USA
Development 121:3347-58. 1995MRF4 (herculin/Myf-6) is one of the four member MyoD family of transcription factors identified by their ability to enforce skeletal muscle differentiation upon a wide variety of nonmuscle cell types...
- Inactivation of the myogenic bHLH gene MRF4 results in up-regulation of myogenin and rib anomaliesW Zhang
Department of Biochemistry, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston 77030, USA
Genes Dev 9:1388-99. 1995The myogenic basic helix-loop-helix (bHLH) proteins MyoD, myf5, myogenin, and MRF4 can initiate myogenesis when expressed in nonmuscle cells...
- Mef2 gene expression marks the cardiac and skeletal muscle lineages during mouse embryogenesisD G Edmondson
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston 77030
Development 120:1251-63. 1994....
- Expression of the met receptor tyrosine kinase in muscle progenitor cells in somites and limbs is absent in Splotch miceX M Yang
Molecular Oncology Group, Royal Victoria Hospital, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Development 122:2163-71. 1996....
- Elevated catalase activity in red and white muscles of MyoD gene-inactivated miceP M Tiidus
Department of Physical Education, Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Biochem Mol Biol Int 39:1029-35. 1996b>MyoD is a myogenic transcription factor responsible for skeletal muscle differentiation during development. Muscle antioxidant enzyme status was determined in transgenic MyoD deactivated mice...
- MyoD protein is differentially accumulated in fast and slow skeletal muscle fibres and required for normal fibre type balance in rodentsS M Hughes
MRC Muscle and Cell Motility Unit, Randall Institute, King s College London, UK
Mech Dev 61:151-63. 1997b>MyoD is a muscle-specific transcription factor involved in commitment of cells to myogenesis. MyoD mRNA levels differ between fast and slow muscles, suggesting that MyoD may regulate aspects of fibre type...
- Overlapping functions of the myogenic bHLH genes MRF4 and MyoD revealed in double mutant miceA Rawls
Department of Molecular Biology and Oncology, Department of Pathology, UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Dallas, Texas 75235, USA
Development 125:2349-58. 1998The myogenic basic helix-loop-helix (bHLH) genes - MyoD, Myf5, myogenin and MRF4 - exhibit distinct, but overlapping expression patterns during development of the skeletal muscle lineage and loss-of-function mutations in these genes ..
- Differential roles of p300 and PCAF acetyltransferases in muscle differentiationP L Puri
Laboratory of Gene Expression, Fondazione Andrea Cesalpino, Istituto I Clinica Medica, Policlinico Umberto I, University of Rome, La Sapienza, Italy
Mol Cell 1:35-45. 1997..While exogenous expression of PCAF potentiates both MyoD-directed transcription and myogenic differentiation, PCAF inactivation by anti-PCAF antibody microinjection ..
- Apoptosis of epaxial myotome in Danforth's short-tail (Sd) mice in somites that form following notochord degenerationA Asakura
Division of Molecular Medicine, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, 1124 Columbia Street, Seattle, Washington, 98104, USA
Dev Biol 203:276-89. 1998..b>MyoD, myogenin, and myosin heavy chain are normally expressed in the ventral myotome and there is normal development of ..
- Sonic hedgehog controls epaxial muscle determination through Myf5 activationA G Borycki
Department of Cell Biology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6058, USA
Development 126:4053-63. 1999..myogenesis in the mouse embryo, we have analyzed the expression of the myogenic determination genes, Myf5 and MyoD, and other regulatory genes in somites of Shh null embryos and in explants of presomitic mesoderm from wild-type ..
- A new look at the origin, function, and "stem-cell" status of muscle satellite cellsP Seale
Department of Biology, Institute for Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, McMaster University, 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ontario, L8S 4K1, Canada
Dev Biol 218:115-24. 2000..Manipulation of such tissue-specific stem cells may eventually revolutionize therapies for degenerative diseases, including muscular dystrophy...
- The molecular regulation of myogenesisL A Sabourin
Institute for Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, MOBIX, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Clin Genet 57:16-25. 2000..years, several studies have unraveled important mechanisms by which the four myogenic regulatory factors (MRFs: MyoD, Myf-5, myogenin, and MRF4) control the specification and the differentiation of the muscle lineage...
- Myotube formation is delayed but not prevented in MyoD-deficient skeletal muscle: studies in regenerating whole muscle grafts of adult miceJ D White
Department of Anatomy and Human Biology, The University of Western Australia, Nedlands, Western Australia
J Histochem Cytochem 48:1531-44. 2000We compared the time course of myogenic events in vivo in regenerating whole muscle grafts in MyoD(-/-) and control BALB/c adult mice using immunohistochemistry and electron microscopy...
- TGF-beta inhibits muscle differentiation through functional repression of myogenic transcription factors by Smad3D Liu
Department of Growth and Development, University of California at San Francisco, 94143, USA
Genes Dev 15:2950-66. 2001..the TGF-beta intracellular effector Smad3, but not Smad2, mediates the inhibition of myogenic differentiation in MyoD-expressing C3H10T1/2 cells and C2C12 myoblasts by repressing the activity of the MyoD family of transcriptional ..
- Promoter-specific regulation of MyoD binding and signal transduction cooperate to pattern gene expressionDonald A Bergstrom
Division of Human Biology, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Mol Cell 9:587-600. 2002..assays to demonstrate that myogenesis consists of discrete subprograms of gene expression regulated by MyoD. Approximately 5% of assayed genes alter expression in a specific temporal sequence, and more than 1% are regulated ..
- GDNF acts through PEA3 to regulate cell body positioning and muscle innervation of specific motor neuron poolsGeorg Haase
INSERM U 382, Developmental Biology Institute of Marseille, CNRS INSERM Univ Mediterranee, Campus de Luminy, Case 907, Marseille, France
Neuron 35:893-905. 2002..Thus, GDNF acts as a peripheral signal to induce PEA3 expression in specific motor neuron pools thereby regulating both cell body position and muscle innervation...
- Aberrant development of motor axons and neuromuscular synapses in MyoD-null miceZuo Zhong Wang
Department of Neurobiology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
J Neurosci 23:5161-9. 2003..Here we show, with immunohistochemistry, Western blotting, and electron microscopy that MyoD, a member of the MRF family, also plays a role in fetal synapse formation. In the diaphragm of 14...
- Hypoxia inhibits myogenic differentiation through accelerated MyoD degradationAnna Di Carlo
Laboratorio di Biologia Vascolare e Terapia Genica, Centro Cardiologico Monzino, Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico, 20138 Milan, Italy
J Biol Chem 279:16332-8. 2004..We showed that hypoxia reversibly inhibited MyoD, Myf5, and myogenin expression...
- Tumor necrosis factor-alpha inhibits myogenic differentiation through MyoD protein destabilizationRamon C J Langen
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
FASEB J 18:227-37. 2004..The ability of muscle regulatory factor MyoD to induce muscle-specific transcription in 10T1/2 fibroblasts was also disrupted by wild-type p65, demonstrating ..
- Divergent functions of murine Pax3 and Pax7 in limb muscle developmentFrederic Relaix
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique CNRS URA 2578, Department of Developmental Biology, Pasteur Institute, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Genes Dev 18:1088-105. 2004....
- Pbx marks genes for activation by MyoD indicating a role for a homeodomain protein in establishing myogenic potentialCharlotte A Berkes
Division of Human Biology, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Mol Cell 14:465-77. 2004Skeletal muscle differentiation is initiated by the transcription factor MyoD, which binds directly to the regulatory regions of genes expressed during skeletal muscle differentiation and initiates chromatin remodeling at specific ..
- Cancer cachexia is regulated by selective targeting of skeletal muscle gene productsSwarnali Acharyya
Division of Human Cancer Genetics, Department of Molecular Virology, Immunology and Medical Genetics, The Ohio State University, Columbus 43210, USA
J Clin Invest 114:370-8. 2004..These results shed new light on cancer cachexia by revealing that wasting does not result from a general downregulation of muscle proteins but rather is highly selective as to which proteins are targeted during the wasting state...
- The del22q11.2 candidate gene Tbx1 regulates branchiomeric myogenesisRobert G Kelly
Department of Genetics and Development, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Hum Mol Genet 13:2829-40. 2004..In the absence of Tbx1, the myogenic determination genes Myf5 and MyoD fail to be normally activated in pharyngeal mesoderm...
- Alveolar rhabdomyosarcomas in conditional Pax3:Fkhr mice: cooperativity of Ink4a/ARF and Trp53 loss of functionCharles Keller
Division of Pediatric Hematology Oncology and Department of Pediatrics, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah 84112, USA
Genes Dev 18:2614-26. 2004....
- Degradation of MyoD mediated by the SCF (MAFbx) ubiquitin ligaseLionel A Tintignac
Laboratoire de Génomique Fonctionnelle et Myogenèse, UMR866 Différenciation Cellulaire et Croissance, INRA UM II, Campus INRA ENSA, 2 Place Pierre Viala, 34060, Montpellier, Cedex 1, France
J Biol Chem 280:2847-56. 2005b>MyoD controls myoblast identity and differentiation and is required for myogenic stem cell function in adult skeletal muscle...
- PC4 coactivates MyoD by relieving the histone deacetylase 4-mediated inhibition of myocyte enhancer factor 2CLaura Micheli
Istituto di Neurobiologia e Medicina Molecolare, Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Viale Marx 15, 00137, Rome, Italy
Mol Cell Biol 25:2242-59. 2005..1 [IFRD1], Tis7), which we have previously shown to be required for myoblast differentiation, is both induced by MyoD and potentiates the transcriptional activity of MyoD, thus revealing a positive regulatory loop between these ..
- Six1 is not involved in limb tendon development, but is expressed in limb connective tissue under Shh regulationMarie Ange Bonnin
Biologie du Développement, CNRS UMR 7622, Universite P et M Curie, 9 quai Saint Bernard, Bat C, 6 e E, Case 24, Paris Cedex 05 75252, France
Mech Dev 122:573-85. 2005..Finally, we found that the posterior domain of Six1 in connective tissue is adjacent to that of the secreted factor Sonic hedgehog and that Sonic hedgehog is necessary and sufficient for Six1 expression in posterior limb regions...
- The RNaseIII enzyme Dicer is required for morphogenesis but not patterning of the vertebrate limbBrian D Harfe
Department of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:10898-903. 2005..Thus, Dicer is required for the formation of normal mouse limbs. Strikingly, however, we did not detect defects in basic patterning or in tissue-specific differentiation of Dicer-deficient limb buds...
- Evidence that satellite cell decrement contributes to preferential decline in nuclear number from large fibres during murine age-related muscle atrophyAndrew S Brack
MRC Centre for Developmental Neurobiology and Randall Division for Cell and Molecular Biophysics, New Hunt s House, King s College London, London, SE1 1UL, UK
J Cell Sci 118:4813-21. 2005..Exacerbated loss of fibre nuclei per unit length during ageing of myoD-null mice provides the first experimental support for the hypothesis that a satellite cell defect causes inadequate ..
- Global and gene-specific analyses show distinct roles for Myod and Myog at a common set of promotersYi Cao
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109 1024, USA
EMBO J 25:502-11. 2006..of genome-wide and promoter-specific DNA binding and expression analyses to assess the functional roles of Myod and Myog in regulating the program of skeletal muscle gene expression...
- Tumor necrosis factor-like weak inducer of apoptosis inhibits skeletal myogenesis through sustained activation of nuclear factor-kappaB and degradation of MyoD proteinCharu Dogra
Molecular Genetics Division, Musculoskeletal Disease Center, Jerry L Pettis Veterans Administration Medical Center, 11201 Benton Street 151, Loma Linda, CA 92357, USA
J Biol Chem 281:10327-36. 2006..TWEAK inhibited the expression of myogenic regulatory factors MyoD and myogenin and also induced the degradation of MyoD protein...
- A novel genetic hierarchy functions during hypaxial myogenesis: Pax3 directly activates Myf5 in muscle progenitor cells in the limbLola Bajard
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique URA 2578, Department of Developmental Biology, Pasteur Institute, 75015 Paris, France
Genes Dev 20:2450-64. 2006..Mutation of the Pax3 site abolishes all expression controlled by the 145-bp sequence in transgenic mouse embryos. We conclude that Pax3 directly regulates Myf5 in the hypaxial somite and its derivatives...
- Acetylation is important for MyoD function in adult miceArnaud Duquet
Laboratoire Epigénétique et Cancer, CNRS FRE 2944, Institut Andre Lwoff, 7 rue Guy Moquet, 94801 Villejuif, France
EMBO Rep 7:1140-6. 2006..Among them, the myogenic transcription factor MyoD shows an increased transcriptional activity in vitro when acetylated on two lysines (K): lysines 99 and 102...
- MyoD inhibits Fstl1 and Utrn expression by inducing transcription of miR-206Miriam I Rosenberg
Division of Human Biology, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
J Cell Biol 175:77-85. 2006..The MyoD transcription factor directly activates the expression of a large number of skeletal muscle genes, but also ..
- RBP-J (Rbpsuh) is essential to maintain muscle progenitor cells and to generate satellite cellsElena Vasyutina
Max Delbruck Center for Molecular Medicine, Robert Rossle Strasse 10, 13125 Berlin, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:4443-8. 2007..In addition, satellite cells are not formed late in fetal development in conditional RBP-J mutant mice. We conclude that RBP-J is required in the developing muscle to set aside proliferating progenitors and satellite cells...
- Identification of a new hybrid serum response factor and myocyte enhancer factor 2-binding element in MyoD enhancer required for MyoD expression during myogenesisAurore L'honoré
Cell Biology Unit, Institut de Genetique Humaine, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, 34396 Montpellier Cedex 05, France
Mol Biol Cell 18:1992-2001. 2007b>MyoD is a critical myogenic factor induced rapidly upon activation of quiescent satellite cells, and required for their differentiation during muscle regeneration...
- Myocardin is a bifunctional switch for smooth versus skeletal muscle differentiationXiaochun Long
The Aab Cardiovascular Research Institute, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:16570-5. 2007..The myogenic basic helix-loop-helix transcription factors MyoD and myogenin (Myog) direct the development of skeletal muscle and are thought to be dominant over the program of ..
- A role for the myogenic determination gene Myf5 in adult regenerative myogenesisBarbara Gayraud-Morel
Stem Cells and Development, Dept of Developmental Biology, Pasteur Institute, CNRS URA 2578, 25 rue du Dr Roux, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Dev Biol 312:13-28. 2007The myogenic determination genes Myf5, Myod and Mrf4 direct skeletal muscle cell fate prenatally...
- MyoD- and nerve-dependent maintenance of MyoD expression in mature muscle fibres acts through the DRR/PRR elementSophie B Chargé
Randall Division for Cell and Molecular Biophysics and the MRC Centre for Developmental Neurobiology, New Hunt s House, Guy s Campus, King s College London, London, UK
BMC Dev Biol 8:5. 2008b>MyoD is a transcription factor implicated in the regulation of adult muscle gene expression...
- Beta-catenin interacts with MyoD and regulates its transcription activityChang Hoon Kim
Program of Developmental Neurobiology, Institute of Molecular Medicine and Genetics, Medical College of Georgia, 1120 15th St, CB2803, Augusta, GA 30912, USA
Mol Cell Biol 28:2941-51. 2008..We showed that beta-catenin interacts directly with MyoD, a basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor essential for muscle differentiation and enhances its binding to E ..
- Regulation of p57(KIP2) during muscle differentiation: role of Egr1, Sp1 and DNA hypomethylationRocco Figliola
Istituto Pasteur Fondazione Cenci Bolognetti, Dipartimento di Biotecnologie Cellulari ed Ematologia, Sezione di Genetica Molecolare, Universita di Roma La Sapienza, Viale Regina Elena 324, 00161 Rome, Italy
J Mol Biol 380:265-77. 2008..We have previously reported that in muscle cells, p57(kip2) is induced by the myogenic factor MyoD through an indirect mechanism involving p73 proteins as intermediaries...
- LBX2 AND UROGENITAL DEVELOPMENTJonathan Epstein; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Serial analysis of transcription factor binding sitesRobyn Meech; Fiscal Year: 2005..Such information may be particularly useful in the design of specifically targeted promoter sequences for gene therapy vectors. ..
- 2005 NNFF Consortium for NF1, NF2 and SchwannomatosisJonathan Epstein; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Identify and characterize novel Wnt pathway genesBrian Harfe; Fiscal Year: 2006..The PIs have experience working with C. elegans, mice and chick model systems and are positioned to take full advantage of each system. ..
- Barx2 in limb muscle and tendon developmentRobyn Meech; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Molecular basis of vascular heterogenity and functionJonathan Epstein; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- PAX3 REGULATION OF CARDIAC CONOTRUNCAL DEVELOPMENTJonathan Epstein; Fiscal Year: 2008..Aim 3 examines the role of neural crest during development of the conduction system, and specifically examines Pax3 regulation of DCT. [unreadable] [unreadable]..