Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Ncam1
Description: neural cell adhesion molecule 1
Alias: CD56, E-NCAM, NCAM-1, Ncam, neural cell adhesion molecule 1, N-CAM-1
Publications135 found, 100 shown here
- RPTPalpha is essential for NCAM-mediated p59fyn activation and neurite elongationVsevolod Bodrikov
Zentrum für Molekulare Neurobiologie, Universitat Hamburg, 20246 Hamburg, Germany
J Cell Biol 168:127-39. 2005The neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM) forms a complex with p59fyn kinase and activates it via a mechanism that has remained unknown...
- Maturation of the olfactory sensory neurons by Apaf-1/caspase-9-mediated caspase activityShizue Ohsawa
Department of Genetics, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Tokyo, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:13366-71. 2010..Our findings suggest that Apaf-1/caspase-9-mediated nonapoptotic caspase signaling is required for the proper neural network formation during olfactory development...
- Roles of disrupted-in-schizophrenia 1-interacting protein girdin in postnatal development of the dentate gyrusAtsushi Enomoto
Department of Pathology, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, 65 Tsurumai Cho, Showa Ku, Nagoya 466 8550, Japan
Neuron 63:774-87. 2009..These findings identify girdin as an intrinsic factor in postnatal development of the DG and provide insights into the critical role of the DISC1/girdin interaction in postnatal neurogenesis in the DG...
- Alx4 binding to LEF-1 regulates N-CAM promoter activityKata Boras
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, University of Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A8, Canada
J Biol Chem 277:1120-7. 2002..Furthermore, when expressed in primary mammary stromal cells, Alx4 decreases the expression of endogenous N-CAM protein. These results reveal a potential mechanism that gives rise to mesenchymal-specific activities of LEF-1...
- Cholecystokinin modulates migration of gonadotropin-releasing hormone-1 neuronsPaolo Giacobini
Cellular and Developmental Neurobiology Section, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 4156, USA
J Neurosci 24:4737-48. 2004....
- Stromal cell-derived factor-1 (SDF-1) expression in embryonic mouse cerebral cortex starts in the intermediate zone close to the pallial-subpallial boundary and extends progressively towards the cortical hemDorothée Daniel
EPHE, Biologie Cellulaire Quantitative, Montpellier F 34095, France
Gene Expr Patterns 5:317-22. 2005..the stream of tangentially migrating cells carrying the polysialylated form of neural cell adhesion molecule (PSA-NCAM)...
- Dysregulation of Semaphorin7A/β1-integrin signaling leads to defective GnRH-1 cell migration, abnormal gonadal development and altered fertilityAndrea Messina
Department of Human and Animal Biology, University of Turin, Turin 10123, Italy
Hum Mol Genet 20:4759-74. 2011..In conclusion, we have identified Sema7A as a gene implicated in the normal development of the GnRH-1 system in mice and as a genetic marker for the elucidation of some forms of GnRH-1 deficiency in humans...
- Polysialylation of the synaptic cell adhesion molecule 1 (SynCAM 1) depends exclusively on the polysialyltransferase ST8SiaII in vivoManuela Rollenhagen
Institute of Cellular Chemistry, Hannover Medical School, 30625 Hannover, Germany
J Biol Chem 287:35170-80. 2012..The minimal polypeptide required for polysialylation contained Ig1 and Ig2, suggesting an important role for Ig2 as a docking site for ST8SiaII...
- Semaphorin 4D regulates gonadotropin hormone-releasing hormone-1 neuronal migration through PlexinB1-Met complexPaolo Giacobini
Department of Human and Animal Biology, University of Turin, Turin 10123, Italy
J Cell Biol 183:555-66. 2008..This work identifies a function for PlexinB1 during brain development and provides evidence that Sema4D controls migration of GnRH-1 neurons...
- Expression of the neuronal calcium sensor protein NCS-1 in the developing mouse olfactory pathwayHelen B Treloar
Department of Neurosurgery, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8082, USA
J Comp Neurol 482:201-16. 2005..Together, these data suggest multiple and overlapping roles of NCS-1 in the developing and mature olfactory system...
- A combination of chain and neurophilic migration involving the adhesion molecule TAG-1 in the caudal medullaKaterina Kyriakopoulou
Department of Basic Science, Medical School, University of Crete and Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, PO Box 1527, 711 10 Heraklion, Greece
Development 129:287-96. 2002..These findings provide evidence that the TAG-1 protein is involved as a contact-dependent signal guiding not only axonal outgrowth but also cell migration...
- P75 neurotrophin receptor regulates expression of neural cell adhesion molecule 1Zeljka Korade Mirnics
Pediatric Center for Neuroscience, Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, Department of Pediatrics, University of Pittsburgh, 3705 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Neurobiol Dis 20:969-85. 2005..profiling studies suggest that presenilin 1 (PS1) regulates expression of neural cell adhesion molecule (Ncam1) through p75 neurotrophin receptor...
- NSCL-1 and -2 control the formation of precerebellar nuclei by orchestrating the migration of neuronal precursor cellsThomas Schmid
Max Planck Institute for Heart and Lung Research, Bad Nauheim, Germany
J Neurochem 102:2061-72. 2007..We conclude that NSCL-1/2 maintain migration and survival of cells in the aes...
- Expression of distinct splice variants of the stem cell marker prominin-1 (CD133) in glial cellsDenis Corbeil
Tissue Engineering Laboratories, BIOTEC and DFG Research Center and Cluster of Excellence for Regenerative Therapies Dresden CRTD, Technische Universitat Dresden, Tatzberg 47 49, Dresden, Germany
Glia 57:860-74. 2009..Given that prominin-1 is thought to act as an organizer of plasma membrane protrusions, they further suggest that a specific prominin-1 splice variant might play a role in morphogenesis and/or maintenance of the myelin sheath...
- Role of Olf-1 and Pax-6 transcription factors in neurodevelopmentJ A Davis
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
J Neurosci 16:5082-94. 1996..The nonoverlapping, cellular localization patterns of Pax-6 and Olf-1 demarcate distinct cell lineages within the developing olfactory epithelium...
- The murine fem1 gene family: homologs of the Caenorhabditis elegans sex-determination protein FEM-1T Ventura-Holman
Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, Mississippi, 39216, USA
Genomics 54:221-30. 1998..The existence of FEM-1 homologs in the mouse raises the possibility that evolutionary conservation of ancient FEM-1 signaling interactions may play a role in vertebrate cell-fate determination...
- Disrupted development of the cerebral hemispheres in transgenic mice expressing the mammalian Groucho homologue transducin-like-enhancer of split 1 in postmitotic neuronsJ Yao
Center for Neuronal Survival, Montreal Neurological Institute, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Mech Dev 93:105-15. 2000..These results provide the first direct evidence that TLE1 is an important negative regulator of postmitotic neuronal differentiation in the mammalian central nervous system...
- Specific expression of an HNK-1 carbohydrate epitope and NCAM on femoral nerve Schwann cells in miceHarukazu Saito
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, School of Medicine, Keio University, 35 Shinanomachi, Shinjuku, Tokyo 160 8582, Japan
Neurosci Res 53:314-22. 2005..containing sensory and motor fascicles, stained with anti-HNK-1, M6749 and anti-neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM) monoclonal antibodies...
- The adhesion molecule TAG-1 is required for proper migration of the superficial migratory stream in the medulla but not of cortical interneuronsMyrto Denaxa
University of Crete Medical School, Heraklion 71110, Crete, Greece
Dev Biol 288:87-99. 2005..Therefore, TAG-1 function is required for the survival of the neurons of some precerebellar nuclei, while it is not required for cortical interneuron migration in vivo...
- Notch 2 and Notch 1/3 segregate to neuronal and glial lineages of the developing olfactory epitheliumChristine Carson
Department of Zoology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Dev Dyn 235:1678-88. 2006..Notch 2 and Notch 1/3 may, therefore, have different roles in the commitment and differentiation of neuronal and glial lineages of the OE during development, and the maintenance of non-neuronal phenotypes postnatally...
- FcRL6, a new ITIM-bearing receptor on cytolytic cells, is broadly expressed by lymphocytes following HIV-1 infectionTimothy J Wilson
Department of Pathology and Immunology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO, USA
Blood 109:3786-93. 2007....
- Development of satellite glia in mouse sympathetic ganglia: GDNF and GFR alpha 1 are not essentialThomas Callahan
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010, Australia
Glia 56:1428-37. 2008..5 mice also expressed the GDNF-binding molecule, GFRalpha1. B-FABP immunoreactive cells did not express Ret or NCAM, two potential signaling molecules for GDNF/GFRalpha1. In E12.5 and E18...
- Differential exon usage involving an unusual splicing mechanism generates at least eight types of NCAM cDNA in mouse brainM J Santoni
Centre d Immunologie INSERM CNRS de Marseille Luminy, France
EMBO J 8:385-92. 1989The murine neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM) is known to exist in three isoforms of different size, NCAM-180, -140 and -120 coded for by four transcripts of 6.9, 6.1, 4.8 and 2.7 kb in length...
- Differential expression of mouse neural cell-adhesion molecule (N-CAM) mRNA species during brain development and in neural cell linesG Gennarini
J Neurosci 6:1983-90. 1986..A comparison of N-CAM protein and mRNA levels reveals a striking correlation between the relative concentrations of the Mr 120,000 N-CAM protein (N-CAM120) and the 5.2 kb transcript.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- Inactivation of the N-CAM gene in mice results in size reduction of the olfactory bulb and deficits in spatial learningH Cremer
Institute for Genetics, University of Cologne, Germany
Nature 367:455-9. 1994..The animals showed deficits in spatial learning when tested in the Morris water maze, whereas activity and motor abilities appeared normal...
- Mammalian achaete-scute homolog 1 is required for the early development of olfactory and autonomic neuronsF Guillemot
Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Canada
Cell 75:463-76. 1993..These observations suggest that Mash-1, like its Drosophila homologs of the AS-C, controls a basic operation in development of neuronal progenitors in distinct neural lineages...
- Genetic deletion of a neural cell adhesion molecule variant (N-CAM-180) produces distinct defects in the central nervous systemH Tomasiewicz
Department of Genetics, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106 4955
Neuron 11:1163-74. 1993..Subtle but distinct abnormalities also were observed in other regions of the brain...
- The mouse NCAM gene displays a biphasic expression pattern during neural tube developmentL Bally-Cuif
INSERM U106, Hopital de la Salpetriere, Paris, France
Development 117:543-52. 1993The neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM) is one of the most abundant cell adhesion molecules expressed in vertebrates and it is thought to play important roles as a regulator of morphogenetic processes, but little is known of its ..
- 43K protein and acetylcholine receptors colocalize during the initial stages of neuromuscular synapse formation in vivoP G Noakes
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110
Dev Biol 155:275-80. 1993..The precise colocalization of 43K and AChRs persisted through development. These results are consistent with 43K being involved in the nerve-induced clustering of AChRs during synapse formation...
- Developmental control of N-CAM expression by Hox and Pax gene productsG M Edelman
Department of Neurobiology, Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 349:305-12. 1995..The significance of these observations is that they connect gene products capable of morphoregulation (such as CAMs) to pattern-forming genes...
- Fetal brain subdivisions defined by R- and E-cadherin expressions: evidence for the role of cadherin activity in region-specific, cell-cell adhesionH Matsunami
Department of Biophysics, Faculty of Science, Kyoto University, Japan
Dev Biol 172:466-78. 1995..These results suggest that cadherins confer region-specific adhesiveness on fetal brain cells and that this process may take part in brain segmentation...
- NCAM is essential for axonal growth and fasciculation in the hippocampusH Cremer
IBDM, CNRS Inserm Université de la Méditerranée, Marseille Cedex 9, France
Mol Cell Neurosci 8:323-35. 1997The neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM), probably the best characterized and most abundant cell adhesion molecule on neurons, is thought to be a major regulator of axonal growth and pathfinding...
- NCAM140 interacts with the focal adhesion kinase p125(fak) and the SRC-related tyrosine kinase p59(fyn)H E Beggs
Department of Biochemistry, School of Medicine, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7260, USA
J Biol Chem 272:8310-9. 1997..Neurite outgrowth mediated by the neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM) requires the src family tyrosine kinase p59(fyn) in nerve growth cones, but the molecular basis for this ..
- Role of neural cell adhesion molecule and polysialic acid in mouse circadian clock functionH Shen
Department of Biological Sciences, Kent State University, Kent, Ohio 44242 0001, USA
J Neurosci 17:5221-9. 1997The suprachiasmatic nuclei (SCN) express the highly polysialylated form of the neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM) that has been proposed to promote plasticity in the adult brain...
- Increased intermale aggression and neuroendocrine response in mice deficient for the neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM)O Stork
Department of Neurobiology, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Honggerberg, Zurich
Eur J Neurosci 9:1117-25. 1997Mice deficient for the neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM) show morphological and behavioural abnormalities in the adult form, including a reduced size of the olfactory bulb, reduced exploratory behaviour, and deficits in spatial ..
- OCAM: A new member of the neural cell adhesion molecule family related to zone-to-zone projection of olfactory and vomeronasal axonsY Yoshihara
Department of Neuroscience, Osaka Bioscience Institute, Suita, Osaka 565, Japan
J Neurosci 17:5830-42. 1997..These results demonstrate a precisely coordinated zonal expression of chemoreceptors and OCAM and suggest that OCAM may play important roles in selective fasciculation and zone-to-zone projection of the primary olfactory axons...
- Changing patterns of cell adhesion molecules during mouse pelage hair follicle development. 1. Follicle morphogenesis in wild-type miceM H Hardy
Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Guelph, Ont, Canada
Acta Anat (Basel) 157:169-82. 1996..The results suggest that the main role of cell adhesion molecules is to mould the follicle by relaxing or reinforcing cell contacts in areas of increased morphogenetic activity...
- Netrin-1 and DCC mediate axon guidance locally at the optic disc: loss of function leads to optic nerve hypoplasiaM S Deiner
Department of Ophthalmology, University of California, San Francisco 94143, USA
Neuron 19:575-89. 1997..Thus, netrin-1 through DCC appears to guide RGC axons locally at the optic disc rather than at long range, apparently reflecting the localization of netrin-1 protein to the vicinity of netrin-1-producing cells at the optic disc...
- Organization and reorganization of neuromuscular junctions in mice lacking neural cell adhesion molecule, tenascin-C, or fibroblast growth factor-5L M Moscoso
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Neurosci 18:1465-77. 1998..Again, no significant differences among genotypes were observed. Together, these results demonstrate that N-CAM, tenascin-C, and FGF-5 are dispensable for major aspects of synaptic development and regeneration...
- Developmental regulation of polysialic acid synthesis in mouse directed by two polysialyltransferases, PST and STXE Ong
Glycobiology Program, La Jolla Cancer Research Center, The Burnham Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Glycobiology 8:415-24. 1998..At the same time, they are expressed differentially in tissue-specific and cell-type-specific manners, suggesting that PST and STX may have distinct roles in development and organogenesis...
- Distinct patterns of NCAM expression are associated with defined stages of murine hair follicle morphogenesis and regressionS Müller-Röver
Department of Dermatology, Charite, Humboldt Universitat zu Berlin, Berlin, Germany
J Histochem Cytochem 46:1401-10. 1998..critically involved in pattern formation and because the fundamental importance of neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM) for feather development has been demonstrated, we studied the protein expression patterns of NCAM during hair ..
- Anxiety and increased 5-HT1A receptor response in NCAM null mutant miceO Stork
Department of Neurobiology, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Honggerberg, CH 8093 Zurich, Switzerland
J Neurobiol 40:343-55. 1999Mice deficient in the neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM) show behavioral abnormalities as adults, including altered exploratory behavior, deficits in spatial learning, and increased intermale aggression...
- Recovery of emotional behaviour in neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM) null mutant mice through transgenic expression of NCAM180O Stork
Department of Neurobiology, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Honggerberg, CH 8093 Zurich, Switzerland
Eur J Neurosci 12:3291-306. 2000In the present study we further investigate functions of the neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM) in the mature central nervous system and its implications for animal behaviour...
- Opposing effects of bone morphogenetic proteins on neuron production and survival in the olfactory receptor neuron lineageJ Shou
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, and the Developmental Biology Center, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697 1275, USA
Development 127:5403-13. 2000..In addition, they reveal the presence of a factor or factors, produced by OE stroma, that can synergize with BMP4 to stimulate OE neurogenesis...
- Alterations in transmission, vesicle dynamics, and transmitter release machinery at NCAM-deficient neuromuscular junctionsL Polo-Parada
Department of Neurosciences, Case Western Reserve University, School of Medicine, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Neuron 32:815-28. 2001Although functional neuromuscular junctions (NMJs) form in NCAM-deficient mice, they exhibit multiple alterations in presynaptic organization and function...
- Binding of neural cell adhesion molecules (N-CAMs) to the cellular prion proteinG Schmitt-Ulms
Institute for Neurodegenerative Diseases, Department of Neurology, University of California, San Francisco, 94143, USA
J Mol Biol 314:1209-25. 2001..1, SEM) days, arguing that N-CAM is not involved in PrP(Sc) replication. Our findings raise the possibility that N-CAM may join with PrP(C) in carrying out some as yet unidentified physiologic cellular function...
- Neural cell adhesion molecule promotes accumulation of TGN organelles at sites of neuron-to-neuron contactsVladimir Sytnyk
Zentrum für Molekulare Neurobiologie, Universitat Hamburg, D 20246 Hamburg, Germany
J Cell Biol 159:649-61. 2002..hippocampal neurons, TGN organelles are linked via spectrin to clusters of the neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM) in the plasma membrane...
- Widespread defects in the primary olfactory pathway caused by loss of Mash1 functionRichard C Murray
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Developmental Biology Center, University of California, Irvine, Irvine, California 92697 2300, USA
J Neurosci 23:1769-80. 2003....
- Conditional ablation of the neural cell adhesion molecule reduces precision of spatial learning, long-term potentiation, and depression in the CA1 subfield of mouse hippocampusOlena Bukalo
Zentrum fuer Molekulare Neurobiologie, Universitaet Hamburg, D 20246 Hamburg, Germany
J Neurosci 24:1565-77. 2004b>NCAM, a neural cell adhesion molecule of the immunoglobulin superfamily, is involved in neuronal migration and differentiation, axon outgrowth and fasciculation, and synaptic plasticity...
- Distinct roles of different neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM) isoforms in synaptic maturation revealed by analysis of NCAM 180 kDa isoform-deficient miceLuis Polo-Parada
Department of Neurosciences, Case Western Reserve University, School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio 44106 4975, USA
J Neurosci 24:1852-64. 2004Mice that lack all three major isoforms of neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM) (180 and 140 kDa transmembrane, and 120 kDa glycosylphosphatidylinositol linked) were previously shown to exhibit major alterations in the maturation of their ..
- Neural cell adhesion molecule-associated polysialic acid potentiates alpha-amino-3-hydroxy-5-methylisoxazole-4-propionic acid receptor currentsThirumalini Vaithianathan
Department of Pharmacal Sciences, Auburn University, Auburn, Alabama 36849, USA
J Biol Chem 279:47975-84. 2004..charged polysialic acid (PSA) is a carbohydrate predominantly carried by the neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM) in mammals. NCAM and, in particular, PSA play important roles in cellular and synaptic plasticity...
- Transforming growth factor beta-SMAD2 signaling regulates aortic arch innervation and developmentDaniel G M Molin
Department of Anatomy and Embryology, Leiden University Medical Center, PO Box 9602, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
Circ Res 95:1109-17. 2004..Fourth arch artery maturation was studied with antibodies directed against smooth muscle alpha-actin and neural NCAM-1 and RMO-270...
- Disruption of ephrin signaling associates with disordered axophilic migration of the gonadotropin-releasing hormone neuronsJohn A Gamble
Neurobiology Programme, The Babraham Institute, Cambridge CB2 4AT, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 25:3142-50. 2005..These data provide evidence for a role of EphA-ephrin signaling in the axophilic migration of the GnRH neurons during embryogenesis...
- Prion protein recruits its neuronal receptor NCAM to lipid rafts to activate p59fyn and to enhance neurite outgrowthAntonella Santuccione
Zentrum für Molekulare Neurobiologie, Universitat Hamburg, Germany
J Cell Biol 169:341-54. 2005..We show that PrP interacts directly with the neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM) and associates with NCAM at the neuronal cell surface...
- Neural cell adhesion molecule-secreting transgenic mice display abnormalities in GABAergic interneurons and alterations in behaviorNeeta Pillai-Nair
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7260, USA
J Neurosci 25:4659-71. 2005The extracellular region of the transmembrane neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM-EC) is shed as a soluble fragment at elevated levels in the schizophrenic brain...
- NCAM 180 acting via a conserved C-terminal domain and MLCK is essential for effective transmission with repetitive stimulationLuis Polo-Parada
Department of Neurosciences, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Neuron 46:917-31. 2005b>NCAM 180 isoform null neuromuscular junctions are unable to effectively mobilize and exocytose synaptic vesicles and thus exhibit periods of total transmission failure during high-frequency repetitive stimulation...
- Noses and neurons: induction, morphogenesis, and neuronal differentiation in the peripheral olfactory pathwayCurtis W Balmer
Department of Cell and Molecular Physiology and UNC Neuroscience Center, The University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
Dev Dyn 234:464-81. 2005....
- The neural cell adhesion molecule NCAM regulates neuritogenesis by multiple mechanisms of interactionRalph Seidenfaden
Institut für Zoologie 220, Universitat Hohenheim, Garbenstr 30, 70593 Stuttgart, Germany
Neurochem Int 49:1-11. 2006The neural cell adhesion molecule NCAM and its glycosylation with polysialic acid (polySia) are crucially involved in proliferation, migration and differentiation of neural progenitors...
- Pericytes limit tumor cell metastasisXiaojie Xian
Stem Cell Center, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
J Clin Invest 116:642-51. 2006Previously we observed that neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM) deficiency in beta tumor cells facilitates metastasis into distant organs and local lymph nodes...
- In vivo synaptic plasticity in the dentate gyrus of mice deficient in the neural cell adhesion molecule NCAM or its polysialic acidLuminita Stoenica
Zentrum für Molekulare Neurobiologie, Universitatsklinikum Hamburg Eppendorf, Martinistr 52, D 20246 Hamburg, Germany
Eur J Neurosci 23:2255-64. 2006The neural cell adhesion molecule NCAM and its associated polysialic acid (PSA) play important roles in synaptic plasticity in the CA1 and/or CA3 regions of the hippocampus in vitro...
- Neural cell adhesion molecule-associated polysialic acid inhibits NR2B-containing N-methyl-D-aspartate receptors and prevents glutamate-induced cell deathMartin S L Hammond
Zentrum für Molekulare Neurobiologie Hamburg and Institut für Neurophysiologie und Pathophysiologie, Universitatsklinikum Hamburg Eppendorf, 20246 Hamburg, Germany
J Biol Chem 281:34859-69. 2006The neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM) and its associated glycan polysialic acid play important roles in the development of the nervous system and N-methyl-D-aspartate(NMDA)receptor-dependent synaptic plasticity in the adult...
- NCAM promotes assembly and activity-dependent remodeling of the postsynaptic signaling complexVladimir Sytnyk
Zentrum für Molekulare Neurobiologie, Universitat Hamburg, 20246 Hamburg, Germany
J Cell Biol 174:1071-85. 2006The neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM) regulates synapse formation and synaptic strength via mechanisms that have remained unknown...
- PSA-NCAM in postnatally generated immature neurons of the olfactory bulb: a crucial role in regulating p75 expression and cell survivalEduardo Gascon
Department of Neuroscience, University of Geneva Medical School, CH 1211 Geneva, Switzerland
Development 134:1181-90. 2007..Here we show that the polysialylated isoforms of the neural cell adhesion molecule (PSA-NCAM) act as a pro-survival molecule in immature newborn neurons...
- Adenylyl cyclase-dependent axonal targeting in the olfactory systemJulien A Dal Col
Department of Zoology and Animal Biology, and NCCR Frontiers in Genetics, University of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Development 134:2481-9. 2007..This mechanism probably involves the regulation of receptor genes known to be crucial in axonal guidance processes...
- Plexin-B2, but not Plexin-B1, critically modulates neuronal migration and patterning of the developing nervous system in vivoSuhua Deng
Institute of Pharmacology, University of Heidelberg, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
J Neurosci 27:6333-47. 2007..These genetic and functional analyses reveal a key requirement for Plexin-B2, but not Plexin-B1, in patterning of the vertebrate nervous system in vivo...
- Deficiency of neural cell adhesion molecule or its polysialylation modulates pharmacological effects of the AMPA receptor antagonist NBQXH Potschka
Institute of Pharmacology, Toxicology, and Pharmacy, Ludwig Maximilians University Munich, Koeniginstr 16, 80539 Munich, Germany
Neuroscience 152:1093-8. 2008The neural cell adhesion molecule NCAM and its dynamically regulated posttranslational modification polysialic acid (PSA) are major determinants of cellular interactions during ontogeny...
- Endogenous polysialylated neural cell adhesion molecule enhances the survival of retinal ganglion cellsJeremy A Murphy
Neuron Survival and Regeneration Laboratory, Faculty of Medicine, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 50:861-9. 2009During development, all retinal cells express polysialylated neural cell adhesion molecule (PSA-NCAM)...
- Depression-like behaviour in neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM)-deficient mice and its reversal by an NCAM-derived peptide, FGLAnu Aonurm-Helm
Department of Pharmacology, Centre of Excellence for Translational Medicine, University of Tartu, Tartu, Estonia
Eur J Neurosci 28:1618-28. 2008The neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM) plays a pivotal role in brain plasticity. Brain plasticity itself has a crucial role in the development of depression...
- Foxg1 promotes olfactory neurogenesis by antagonizing Gdf11Shimako Kawauchi
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
Development 136:1453-64. 2009..Thus, the pro-neurogenic effects of Foxg1 are likely to be mediated through different signaling pathways in different parts of the nervous system...
- GLI3 repressor controls nephron number via regulation of Wnt11 and Ret in ureteric tip cellsJason E Cain
Program in Developmental and Stem Cell Biology, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto Medical Discovery Towers, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
PLoS ONE 4:e7313. 2009..Thus, GLI3 repressor controls nephron number by regulating ureteric tip cell expression of Wnt11 and Ret...
- Neural cell adhesion molecule-associated polysialic acid regulates synaptic plasticity and learning by restraining the signaling through GluN2B-containing NMDA receptorsGaga Kochlamazashvili
Zentrum fur Molekulare Neurobiologie Hamburg, University Medical Center Hamburg Eppendorf, 20246 Hamburg, Germany
J Neurosci 30:4171-83. 2010The neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM) is the predominant carrier of alpha2,8 polysialic acid (PSA) in the mammalian brain...
- Binding of the receptor tyrosine kinase TrkB to the neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM) regulates phosphorylation of NCAM and NCAM-dependent neurite outgrowthClaas Cassens
Zentrum für Molekulare Neurobiologie, Universitat Hamburg, Martinistrasse 85, 20246 Hamburg, Germany
J Biol Chem 285:28959-67. 2010..In this study, we provide evidence that the neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM) and the neurotrophin receptor TrkB directly interact via sequences in their intracellular domains...
- The neural cell adhesion molecule promotes FGFR-dependent phosphorylation and membrane targeting of the exocyst complex to induce exocytosis in growth conesYana Chernyshova
Zentrum für Molekulare Neurobiologie, Universitatsklinikum Hamburg Eppendorf, 20246 Hamburg, Germany
J Neurosci 31:3522-35. 2011..We show that this complex binds to the intracellular domain of the neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM)...
- Differential expression of neural cell adhesion molecule and cadherins in pancreatic islets, glucagonomas, and insulinomasC J Møller
Research Center for Medical Biotechnology, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
Mol Endocrinol 6:1332-42. 1992..In this study we have analyzed the expression of neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM) and cadherin molecules in neonatal, young, and adult rat islet cells as well as in glucagonomas and insulinomas ..
- Mouse Sin3A interacts with and can functionally substitute for the amino-terminal repression of the Myc antagonist Mxi1G Rao
Department of Cell Biology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
Oncogene 12:1165-72. 1996....
- A cis-acting regulatory element that affects the alternative splicing of a muscle-specific exon in the mouse NCAM geneH Kawahigashi
Institute for Protein Research, Osaka University, Yamadaoka 3 2, Suita, Osaka 565, Japan
Biochim Biophys Acta 1397:305-15. 1998The pre-mRNA encoding the neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM) is spliced to generate NCAM isoforms containing the muscle-specific domain (MSD) during myogenesis...
- Caspase-3 and caspase-9 mediate developmental apoptosis in the mouse olfactory systemCatherine M Cowan
Department of Zoology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, V6T 1Z4, Canada
J Comp Neurol 474:136-48. 2004..In turn, in some caspase-3 null mice, the ORN target organ, the OB, also develops abnormally, resulting in the formation of secondary, apparently functional, extracranial ectopic OBs...
- Role of the neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM) in amygdalo-hippocampal interactions and salience determination of contextual fear memoryAnne Albrecht
Department of Genetics and Molecular Neurobiology, Institute of Biology, Otto von Guericke University Magdeburg, Magdeburg, Germany
Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 13:661-74. 2010Evidence suggests that the neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM) is an important molecular constituent of adaptive and maladaptive circuit (re-)organization in the central nervous system...
- Revisiting human natural killer cell subset function revealed cytolytic CD56(dim)CD16+ NK cells as rapid producers of abundant IFN-gamma on activationAndrea De Maria
Infectious Diseases Unit, Istituto Nazionale per la Ricerca sul Cancro, 16132 Genoa, Italy
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:728-32. 2011..Thus, cytolytic activity is mostly confined to the CD56(dim)CD16(+) subset, whereas cytokine production is generally assigned to CD56(bright)CD16(+/-) cells...
- β3GnT2 maintains adenylyl cyclase-3 signaling and axon guidance molecule expression in the olfactory epitheliumTimothy R Henion
Department of Cell Biology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, Massachusetts 01655, USA
J Neurosci 31:6576-86. 2011..We propose that the loss of cAMP-dependent guidance cues is also a critical factor in the severe axon guidance defects observed in β3GnT2(-/-) mice...
- Functional cross-talk between the cellular prion protein and the neural cell adhesion molecule is critical for neuronal differentiation of neural stem/precursor cellsKanella Prodromidou
Laboratory of Cellular and Molecular Neurobiology, Hellenic Pasteur Institute, Athens, Greece
Stem Cells 32:1674-87. 2014..Although PrP has been reported to associate with the neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM), the consequences of concerted PrP-NCAM action in NPC physiology are unknown...
- Polysialic acid on SynCAM 1 in NG2 cells and on neuropilin-2 in microglia is confined to intracellular pools that are rapidly depleted upon stimulationSebastian Werneburg
Hannover Medical School, Institute for Cellular Chemistry, Carl Neuberg Strase 1, Hannover, Germany Center for Systems Neuroscience ZSN, Hannover, Germany
Glia 63:1240-55. 2015..As for its major carrier, the neural cell adhesion molecule NCAM, polySia attenuates SynCAM 1 adhesion...
- Cloning muscle isoforms of neural cell adhesion molecule using an episomal shuttle vectorL C Pan
Pharmacology Department, Stanford University School of Medicine, California 94305
Somat Cell Mol Genet 18:163-77. 1992..distinct transcripts encoding two phosphatidylinositol (PI) linked isoforms of the neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM) are induced during the differentiation of C2C12 myoblasts into myotubes...
- N-CAM alterations in splotch neural tube defect mouse embryosC E Moase
Department of Biology, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Development 113:1049-58. 1991..The Sp locus may be involved in post-translational modification of N-CAM. An aberration in N-CAM processing could be the primary target of the mutation that leads to the development abnormalities observed in this mouse mutant...
- Tissue- and developmental stage-specific forms of a neural cell surface antigen linked to differences in glycosylation of a common polypeptideG Rougon
EMBO J 1:1239-44. 1982..The finding that a neural cell surface protein may be glycosylated in different ways has important implications for the generation of cell surface specificity...
- Localization of genes affecting alcohol drinking in miceT J Phillips
Veterans Administration Medical Center, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 18:931-41. 1994..In general, our results suggest that saccharin and ethanol consumption are determined by the actions of multiple genes (QTL), some in common, and suggest specific map locations of several such QTL on the mouse genome...
- A potential role for the OTX2 homeoprotein in creating early 'highways' for axon extension in the rostral brainK T Nguyen Ba-Charvet
Institut Alfred Fessard, CNRS UPR 2212, Avenue de la Terrasse, France
Development 125:4273-82. 1998..Among the molecules upregulated with increasing levels of OTX2 are NCAM, tenascin-C and DSD-1-PG, which also in situ colocalize with zones of OTX2 expression at boundaries...
- Expression of neural cell-adhesion molecule mRNA during mouse molar tooth developmentNobuko Obara
Department of Anatomy, School of Dentistry, Health Sciences University of Hokkaido, Ishikari Tobetsu, Hokkaido, Japan
Arch Oral Biol 47:805-13. 2002..The dental follicle strongly expressed neural cell-adhesion molecule (NCAM) to the end of the experimental period, at post-natal day 4...
- Expression of bHLH transcription factors NSCL1 and NSCL2 in the mouse olfactory systemYuko Suzuki
Department of Oral Histology, School of Dentistry, Health Sciences University of Hokkaido, Ishikari Tobetsu 061 0293, Japan
Chem Senses 28:603-8. 2003..Moreover, the temporal pattern of expression suggests that NSCL1 and NSCL2 may function during development rather than in the adult stage...
- Identification of N-glycosylation sites of the murine neural cell adhesion molecule NCAM by MALDI-TOF and MALDI-FTICR mass spectrometryClaus Albach
Institute for Physiology, Biochemistry and Animal Health, University of Bonn, Katzenburgweg 7 9, 53115 Bonn, Germany
Anal Bioanal Chem 378:1129-35. 2004..the mass spectrometric analysis of the six potential N-glycosylation sites of the neural cell adhesion molecule NCAM from adult mouse brain...
- Coordination of trigeminal axon navigation and patterning with tooth organ formation: epithelial-mesenchymal interactions, and epithelial Wnt4 and Tgfbeta1 regulate semaphorin 3a expression in the dental mesenchymePaivi Kettunen
Division of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Department of Biomedicine, University of Bergen, Jonas Lies vei 91, 5009 Bergen, Norway
Development 132:323-34. 2005..Moreover, our results suggest that the odontogenic epithelium possesses the instructive information to control the formation of tooth nerve supply...
- Transcription factor KLF7 is important for neuronal morphogenesis in selected regions of the nervous systemFriedrich Laub
Laboratory of Genetics and Organogenesis, Research Division of the Hospital for Special Surgery, and Department of Physiology and Biophysics at Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 535 East 70th St, New York, New York 10021, USA
Mol Cell Biol 25:5699-711. 2005..KLF7 activity might therefore control neuronal morphogenesis in part by optimizing the levels of molecules that promote axon outgrowth...
- Tissue expression of alternatively spliced GFRalpha1, NCAM and RET isoforms and the distinct functional consequence of ligand-induced activation of GFRalpha1 isoformsLi Foong Yoong
Department of Biochemistry, National University of Singapore, Lower Kent Ridge Road, Singapore 119260, Singapore
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 139:1-12. 2005..factor (GDNF) exerts its effect through a multi-component receptor system consisting of GFRalpha1, RET and NCAM. Two highly homologous alternatively spliced GFRalpha1 isoforms (GFRalpha1a and GFRalpha1b) have previously been ..
- Enzyme-dependent variations in the polysialylation of the neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM) in vivoSebastian P Galuska
Institute of Biochemistry, Medical Faculty, University of Giessen, Friedrichstrasse 24, Giessen D 35392, Germany
J Biol Chem 283:17-28. 2008..polymer of N-acetylneuraminic acid, represents an essential regulator of neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM) functions...
- Developmental changes of cell adhesion molecule expression in the fetal mouse liverYoshinori Sugiyama
Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, Shizuoka University, Shizuoka City, Japan
Anat Rec (Hoboken) 293:1698-710. 2010..The present study was undertaken to immunohistochemically examine the expression of NCAM, ICAM, VCAM, and N-cadherin during mouse liver development and in fetal liver cell cultures...
- Neural cell adhesion molecule potentiates invasion and metastasis of melanoma cells through CAMP-dependent protein kinase and phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase pathwaysYu Shi
School of Biological Sciences, Nanyang Technological University, 60 Nanyang Drive, Singapore 637551, Singapore
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 43:682-90. 2011Neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM) has been implicated in tumor metastasis yet its function in melanoma progression remains unclear...
- Chromosomal assignments of 17 structural genes and 11 related DNA fragments in rats (Rattus norvegicus) by Southern blot analysis of rat x mouse somatic cell hybrid clonesM Yasue
Institute of Laboratory Animals, Faculty of Medicine, Kyoto University, Japan
Genomics 12:659-64. 1992..the use of 17 DNA probes cloned from 7 rat genes, A2M, ATP1A1, ATP1A2, ATP1A3, B2M, GSTP, and SMST; 5 mouse genes, Ncam, Ngfg, Pim-1, Tcp-1, and Trp53; and 5 human genes, MBP, MYB, NEFM, SCN2A, and TCRGC1, 17 structural genes including ..
- Analysis of high PSA N-CAM expression during mammalian spinal cord and peripheral nervous system developmentS Boisseau
Laboratoire de neurobiologie cellulaire et moléculaire du CNRS, Gif sur Yvette, France
Development 112:69-82. 1991..However, we demonstrated that these two parameters do not appear to depend on high PSA N-CAM molecules when cells were grown on a fibronectin substratum, indicating the existence of a hierarchy among adhesion molecules...
- Human tyrosinase gene, mapped to chromosome 11 (q14----q21), defines second region of homology with mouse chromosome 7D E Barton
Department of Human Genetics, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06510
Genomics 3:17-24. 1988..Comparison of the genetic maps of human chromosome 11 and mouse chromosome 7 leads to hypotheses regarding the evolution of human chromosome 11...
- Early sialylation on N-CAM in splotch neural tube defect mouse embryosS A Neale
Department of Biology, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Teratology 50:118-24. 1994..These results in the observed 200 kD species, and suggest that the Sp gene is involved in the regulation of expression or the post-translational modification of N-CAM...
- Expression of M-cadherin protein in myogenic cells during prenatal mouse development and differentiation of embryonic stem cells in cultureO Rose
Institut der Anthropologie und Humangenetik für Biologen, Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitat, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Dev Dyn 201:245-59. 1994..In summary, our results are in line with the idea that M-cadherin might play a central role in myogenic morphogenesis...
- A Rapid Immunoassay for Detection of Yersinia PathogensJohn Glass; Fiscal Year: 2002..Furthermore, this prototype assay will be reduced to a production model, validated for regulatory approval, and finalized for manufacture through a joint venture partner. ..
- General Cognitive /Learning Deficits in Aged MiceLOUIS MATZEL; Fiscal Year: 2003..These studies are a critical prelude to future work directed at the elucidation of the brain substrates for age-related declines in general cognitive/learning abilities. ..
- Notch Signaling in Olfactory Progenitor Cell FateTIMOTHY HENION; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results obtained from these preliminary studies will provide important information on the mechanisms which regulate cell diversity in the olfactory system, and potentially other neurogenic tissues. ..
- Development of the primary olfactory pathwayHelen Treloar; Fiscal Year: 2005..These studies will greatly enhance our knowledge of how axons establish connections in the olfactory system and may have implications for diseases such as Kallman's syndrome. ..
- Development of the primary olfactory pathwayHelen Treloar; Fiscal Year: 2009..Moreover these results will be broadly applicable to other CNS regions where work continues towards understanding the formation of boundaries and topographic maps. ..
- REGIONAL DIFFERENTIATION DURING FOREBRAIN DEVELOPMENTAnthony S LaMantia; Fiscal Year: 2010....