Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Nr5a1
Description: nuclear receptor subfamily 5, group A, member 1
Alias: Ad4BP, ELP, ELP-3, Ftz-F1, Ftzf1, SF-1, SF1, STF-1, steroidogenic factor 1, adrenal 4-binding protein, embryonal LTR-binding protein, embryonal long terminal repeat-binding protein, fushi tarazu 1 factor homolog, fushi tarazu factor homolog 1, steroid hormone receptor Ad4BP, steroid hydroxylase positive regulator
Publications149 found, 100 shown here
- Convergence of Wnt signaling and steroidogenic factor-1 (SF-1) on transcription of the rat inhibin alpha geneBrian M Gummow
Department of Molecular and Integrative Physiology, Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
J Biol Chem 278:26572-9. 2003..These data support the recent observation that beta-catenin can participate in nuclear receptor-mediated transcriptional activation and extend the findings to the monomer binding class of orphan nuclear receptors...
- Liver receptor homolog-1 and steroidogenic factor-1 have similar actions on rat granulosa cell steroidogenesisDeeksha Saxena
Department of Cell Biology and Physiology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 830 Scaife Hall, 3500 Terrace Street, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
Endocrinology 148:726-34. 2007....
- Mice deficient in the orphan receptor steroidogenic factor 1 lack adrenal glands and gonads but express P450 side-chain-cleavage enzyme in the placenta and have normal embryonic serum levels of corticosteroidsY Sadovsky
Department of Pathology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 92:10939-43. 1995The orphan nuclear receptor steroidogenic factor 1 (SF-1) is expressed in the adrenal cortex and gonads and regulates the expression of several P450 steroid hydroxylases in vitro...
- Steroidogenic factor 1 gene transcription is inhibited by transforming growth factor betaTomasz P Lehmann
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Medical Sciences, 6 Swiecickiego St, 60 781, Poznan, Poland
Endocr Res 31:71-9. 2005The orphan nuclear receptor, steroidogenic factor 1 (SF-1), plays a major role in adrenal and gonadal development, as well as in sexual differentiation...
- Dax1 up-regulates Oct4 expression in mouse embryonic stem cells via LRH-1 and SRAVictoria R Kelly
Program in Cellular and Molecular Biology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Mol Endocrinol 24:2281-91. 2010..In steroidogenic cells, Dax1 protein interacts with the NR5A nuclear receptor steroidogenic factor 1 (Nr5a1) to inhibit transcription of target genes...
- DNA methylation of intronic enhancers directs tissue-specific expression of steroidogenic factor 1/adrenal 4 binding protein (SF-1/Ad4BP)Erling A Hoivik
Department of Biomedicine, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
Endocrinology 152:2100-12. 2011The nuclear receptor steroidogenic factor 1/adrenal 4 binding protein (SF-1/Ad4BP) is an essential regulator of endocrine development and function, and the expression of the corresponding gene (sf-1/ad4bp) is precisely regulated in a ..
- Nuclear factor Y and steroidogenic factor 1 physically and functionally interact to contribute to cell-specific expression of the mouse Follicle-stimulating hormone-beta geneSuzanne B R Jacobs
Department of Reproductive Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093 0674, USA
Mol Endocrinol 17:1470-83. 2003..This study is the first to demonstrate the presence of basal FSH beta protein in L beta T2 cells and to identify specific elements within the FSH beta promoter that contribute to basal and cell-specific expression of the gene...
- Increased steroidogenic factor-1 dosage triggers adrenocortical cell proliferation and cancerMabrouka Doghman
Institut de Pharmacologie Moléculaire et Cellulaire Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique Unité Mixte de Recherche 6097, France
Mol Endocrinol 21:2968-87. 2007Steroidogenic factor-1 (SF-1/Ad4BP; NR5A1), a nuclear receptor transcription factor, has a pivotal role in adrenal and gonadal development in humans and mice...
- Steroidogenic factor 1 directs programs regulating diet-induced thermogenesis and leptin action in the ventral medial hypothalamic nucleusKi Woo Kim
Division of Hypothalamic Research and Endocrinology, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:10673-8. 2011The transcription factor steroidogenic factor 1 (SF-1) is exclusively expressed in the brain in the ventral medial hypothalamic nucleus (VMH) and is required for the development of this nucleus...
- CNS-specific ablation of steroidogenic factor 1 results in impaired female reproductive functionKi Woo Kim
Division of Hypothalamic Research, Departments of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390, USA
Mol Endocrinol 24:1240-50. 2010..In the current study, we assessed the roles of steroidogenic factor 1 (SF-1) on reproductive function in the VMH using central nervous system-specific SF-1 knockout (SF-1 KO(..
- The nuclear receptor steroidogenic factor 1 is essential for the formation of the ventromedial hypothalamic nucleusY Ikeda
Department of Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Mol Endocrinol 9:478-86. 1995The nuclear receptor steroidogenic factor 1 (SF-1) regulates the biosynthesis of the two essential mediators of male sexual differentiation, androgens and Müllerian-inhibiting substance, and is required for adrenal and gonadal ..
- Homologs of Drosophila Fushi-Tarazu factor 1 map to mouse chromosome 2 and human chromosome 9q33M Taketo
Banyu Tsukuba Research Institute Merck, Japan
Genomics 25:565-7. 1995..We have mapped the mouse gene Ftzf1 to the proximal quarter of Chr 2 by a linkage analysis using interspecific backcross mice, and its human homolog ..
- Pituitary-specific knockout of steroidogenic factor 1L Zhao
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Internal Medicine and Pharmacology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX 75390 8857, USA
Mol Cell Endocrinol 185:27-32. 2001Knockout mice lacking the orphan nuclear receptor steroidogenic factor 1 (SF-1) revealed its essential roles at multiple levels of endocrine development and function...
- Dax1 expression is dependent on steroidogenic factor 1 in the developing gonadChristine Hoyle
Section of Gene Function and Regulation, Chester Beatty Laboratories, Institute of Cancer Research, London SW3 6JB
Mol Endocrinol 16:747-56. 2002..Within this region, a highly conserved steroidogenic factor 1 (SF1) consensus-binding site is necessary to direct LacZ expression to the embryonic gonad implicating SF1 ..
- Steroidogenic factor-1 controls the aldose reductase akr1b7 gene promoter in transgenic mice through an atypical binding siteAntoine Martinez
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Unité Mixte de Recherche 6547, Génétique des Eucaryotes and Endocrinologie Moléculaire, Universite Blaise Pascal, 63177 Aubiere, France
Endocrinology 144:2111-20. 2003....
- Steroidogenic factor-1 and the gonadotrope-specific element enhance basal and pituitary adenylate cyclase-activating polypeptide-stimulated transcription of the human glycoprotein hormone alpha-subunit gene in gonadotropesRobert C Fowkes
Department of Endocrinology, Barts and Royal London School of Medicine and Dentistry, West Smithfield, London, United Kingdom
Mol Endocrinol 17:2177-88. 2003..These data suggest strongly that the induction of alphaGSU gene expression by peptide hormone signaling is coupled directly to the posttranslational status of SF-1...
- Expression of LRH-1 and SF-1 in the mouse ovary: localization in different cell types correlates with differing functionMargaret M Hinshelwood
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX, 75390 9038, USA
Mol Cell Endocrinol 207:39-45. 2003..Based on these findings, we propose that LRH-1 plays an important role as a competence factor in regulating aromatase, and thus estrogen biosynthesis, in ovary...
- Activating protein-1 cooperates with steroidogenic factor-1 to regulate 3',5'-cyclic adenosine 5'-monophosphate-dependent human CYP11A1 transcription in vitro and in vivoIng Cherng Guo
Institute of Molecular Biology, 48, Academia Sinica, Nankang, Taipei, 115 Taiwan
Endocrinology 148:1804-12. 2007..Furthermore, we have observed the interdependent transactivation between SF-1 and c-Jun on the U-CRS function. These results collectively demonstrate that SF-1 and AP-1 cooperate to activate CYP11A1 transcription in vitro and in vivo...
- Impaired follicle development and infertility in female mice lacking steroidogenic factor 1 in ovarian granulosa cellsCarla Pelusi
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 8857, USA
Biol Reprod 79:1074-83. 2008The nuclear receptor steroidogenic factor 1 (SF-1 [officially designated NR5A1]) is essential for fetal gonadal development, but its roles in postnatal ovarian function are less well defined...
- Steroidogenic Factor 1 (NR5A1) resides in centrosomes and maintains genomic stability by controlling centrosome homeostasisP Y Lai
Institute of Molecular Biology, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan
Cell Death Differ 18:1836-44. 2011SF-1 (Steroidogenic Factor 1, NR5A1) is a tissue-specific transcription factor critical for the growth, development and differentiation of steroidogenic and a few other endocrine tissues...
- Identification of an enhancer in the Ad4BP/SF-1 gene specific for fetal Leydig cellsYuichi Shima
Department of Molecular Biology, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Maidashi 3 1 1, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Endocrinology 153:417-25. 2012b>Adrenal 4 binding protein/steroidogenic factor 1 (Ad4BP/SF-1) (Nr5a1) is a nuclear receptor essential for reproductive tissue development and endocrine regulation. This factor is expressed in steroidogenic tissues (e.g...
- Steroidogenic factor 1 is the essential transcript of the mouse Ftz-F1 geneX Luo
Department of Biochemistry, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Mol Endocrinol 9:1233-9. 1995Targeted disruption of the mouse Ftz-F1 gene, which encodes the orphan nuclear receptors steroidogenic factor 1 (SF-1) and embryonal long terminal repeat-binding protein (ELP), established that this gene is essential for development of ..
- Regulation of the orphan nuclear receptor steroidogenic factor 1 by Sox proteinsJennifer H C Shen
Department of Physiology, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143 0444, USA
Mol Endocrinol 16:529-40. 2002b>Steroidogenic factor 1 (SF-1) is an essential factor in endocrine proliferation and gene expression...
- A polymorphic form of steroidogenic factor-1 is associated with adrenocorticotropin resistance in y1 mouse adrenocortical tumor cell mutantsClaudia Frigeri
Department of Pharmacology, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 1L6
Endocrinology 143:4031-7. 2002..Y1 mouse adrenocortical tumor cell line results from a defect that affects the activity of steroidogenic factor-1 (SF1), thereby preventing the expression of the melanocortin-2 receptor...
- Expression of MIS in the testis is downregulated by tumor necrosis factor alpha through the negative regulation of SF-1 transactivation by NF-kappa BCheol Yi Hong
Hormone Research Center, Chonnam National University, Gwangju 500 757, Republic of Korea
Mol Cell Biol 23:6000-12. 2003..Furthermore, in transient-transfection assays TNF-alpha suppressed the MIS promoter that was activated by steroidogenic factor 1 (SF-1), one of the major transcription factors that regulate MIS expression...
- Ventromedial hypothalamic nucleus-specific enhancer of Ad4BP/SF-1 geneYuichi Shima
Division for Sex Differentiation, National Institute for Basic Biology, National Institutes of Natural Sciences, Myodaiji cho, Okazaki 444 8787, Japan
Mol Endocrinol 19:2812-23. 2005Ad4BP/SF-1 [Ad4 binding protein/steroidogenic factor-1 (designated NR5A1)] is a transcription factor essential for animal reproduction...
- Distinct roles for steroidogenic factor 1 and desert hedgehog pathways in fetal and adult Leydig cell developmentSusan Y Park
Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Molecular Medicine, Department of Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Endocrinology 148:3704-10. 2007..b>Steroidogenic factor 1 (Sf1) is a transcriptional regulator of hormone biosynthesis genes, thus serving a central role in the ..
- Steroidogenic factor-1 (SF-1)-driven differentiation of murine embryonic stem (ES) cells into a gonadal lineageUnmesh Jadhav
Department of Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Arthur J Rubloff Building, 420 East Superior Street, 12th Floor, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Endocrinology 152:2870-82. 2011b>Steroidogenic factor 1 (SF-1) is essential for the development and function of steroidogenic tissues. Stable incorporation of SF-1 into embryonic stem cells (SF-1-ES cells) has been shown to prime the cells for steroidogenesis...
- Transactivation of microRNA-383 by steroidogenic factor-1 promotes estradiol release from mouse ovarian granulosa cells by targeting RBMS1Mianmian Yin
School of Life Sciences, University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei, Anhui 230026, People s Republic of China
Mol Endocrinol 26:1129-43. 2012..Understanding of regulation of miRNA biogenesis and function in estrogen production will potentiate the usefulness of miRNA in the control of reproduction and treatment of some steroid-related disorders...
- Genetic labeling of steroidogenic factor-1 (SF-1) neurons in mice reveals ventromedial nucleus of the hypothalamus (VMH) circuitry beginning at neurogenesis and development of a separate non-SF-1 neuronal cluster in the ventrolateral VMHCLEMENT C CHEUNG
Department of Pediatrics, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
J Comp Neurol 521:1268-88. 2013..in mice, we describe the development of VMH efferent projections, as marked by steroidogenic factor-1 (SF-1; NR5A1)...
- Structural characterization of human Ad4bp (SF-1) geneK Oba
Third Department of Internal Medicine, Graduate School of Medical Science, Faculty of Medicine, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 226:261-7. 1996Ad4BP (or steroidogenic factor 1, SF-1) has been implicated to be an essential transcriptional factor for steroidogenesis as well as for the development of the reproductive axis. We elucidated the structure of the human Ad4BP gene...
- Pod-1/Capsulin shows a sex- and stage-dependent expression pattern in the mouse gonad development and represses expression of Ad4BP/SF-1M Tamura
Mammalian Development Laboratory, Genetic Strains Research Center, National Institute of Genetics, Mishima, Japan
Mech Dev 102:135-44. 2001..b>Ad4BP/SF-1, encoding a zinc finger transcription factor, plays important roles in gonadogenesis...
- Interaction between Dax-1 and steroidogenic factor-1 in vivo: increased adrenal responsiveness to ACTH in the absence of Dax-1Poda Suresh Babu
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0678, USA
Endocrinology 143:665-73. 2002..These results are consistent with a model in which Dax-1 functions to inhibit SF-1-mediated steroidogenesis in vivo...
- LXXLL-related motifs in Dax-1 have target specificity for the orphan nuclear receptors Ad4BP/SF-1 and LRH-1Taiga Suzuki
Department of Developmental Biology, National Institute for Basic Biology, Okazaki 444 8585, Japan
Mol Cell Biol 23:238-49. 2003The orphan receptor Ad4BP/SF-1 (NR5A1) is a constitutive activator, and its activity is repressed by another orphan receptor, Dax-1 (NR0B1)...
- Loss of steroidogenic factor 1 alters cellular topography in the mouse ventromedial nucleus of the hypothalamusAline M Davis
Framingham State College, Framingham, Massachusetts 01701, USA
J Neurobiol 60:424-36. 2004Knockout (KO) mice lacking the orphan nuclear receptor steroidogenic factor 1 (SF-1) exhibit marked structural abnormalities of the ventromedial nucleus of the hypothalamus (VMH)...
- Pre-B-cell transcription factor 1 and steroidogenic factor 1 synergistically regulate adrenocortical growth and steroidogenesisUrs D Lichtenauer
Division of Endocrine Research, Department of Medicine Innenstadt, University Hospital Munich, Ziemssenstrasse 1, D 80336 Munich, Germany
Endocrinology 148:693-704. 2007A variety of transcription factors including Wilms tumor gene (Wt-1), steroidogenic factor 1 (Sf-1), dosage-sensitive sex reversal, adrenal hypoplasia congenita on the X-chromosome, Gene 1 (Dax-1), and pre-B-cell transcription factor 1 (..
- Histone deacetylase inhibitors reduce steroidogenesis through SCF-mediated ubiquitination and degradation of steroidogenic factor 1 (NR5A1)Wei yi Chen
Institute of Molecular Biology, Academia Sinica, Nankang, Taipei, Taiwan
Mol Cell Biol 27:7284-90. 2007..The increased SKP1A expression and SCF-mediated protein degradation could be the mechanism underlying the mode of action of HDAC inhibitors...
- Inactivation of Dicer1 in Steroidogenic factor 1-positive cells reveals tissue-specific requirement for Dicer1 in adrenal, testis, and ovaryChen Che J Huang
Department of Veterinary Biosciences, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL, USA
BMC Dev Biol 10:66. 2010..Mouse embryos lacking Dicer1 die in early embryogenesis. In this study, we investigated whether Dicer1 is required for development of adrenal, testis, and ovary in mouse embryos...
- The orphan receptors NGFI-B and steroidogenic factor 1 establish monomer binding as a third paradigm of nuclear receptor-DNA interactionT E Wilson
Department of Pathology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110
Mol Cell Biol 13:5794-804. 1993We examined in detail the DNA interaction of the nuclear receptors NGFI-B and steroidogenic factor 1 (SF-1) by using a series of gain-of-function domain swaps. NGFI-B bound with high affinity as a monomer to a nearly linear DNA molecule...
- Structure of SF-1 bound by different phospholipids: evidence for regulatory ligandsElena P Sablin
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Mol Endocrinol 23:25-34. 2009..ligand dependent, the existence of obligate regulatory ligands is debated for some receptors, including steroidogenic factor 1 (SF-1)...
- The nuclear receptor steroidogenic factor 1 acts at multiple levels of the reproductive axisH A Ingraham
Department of Physiology, University of California at San Francisco 94143 0556
Genes Dev 8:2302-12. 1994b>Steroidogenic factor 1 (SF-1), an orphan nuclear receptor, regulates the enzymes that produce sex steroids, and disruption of the Ftz-F1 gene encoding SF-1 precludes adrenal and gonadal development...
- Characterization of the promoter of SF-1, an orphan nuclear receptor required for adrenal and gonadal developmentK G Woodson
Department of Pathology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Mol Endocrinol 11:117-26. 1997b>Steroidogenic factor 1 (SF-1) is a transcription factor shown to be critical for regulation of adrenal and gonadal development and function...
- Steroidogenic factor 1 and Dax-1 colocalize in multiple cell lineages: potential links in endocrine developmentY Ikeda
Department of Pharmacology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Mol Endocrinol 10:1261-72. 1996Mutations of the orphan nuclear receptors, steroidogenic factor 1 (SF-1) and DAX-1, cause complex endocrine phenotypes that include impaired adrenal development and hypogonadotrophic hypogonadism...
- Germ cell nuclear antigen (GCNA1) expression does not require a gonadal environment or steroidogenic factor 1: examination of GCNA1 in ectopic germ cells and in Ftz-F1 null miceD Wang
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City 66160 7400, USA
Mol Reprod Dev 48:154-8. 1997..The finding that germ cell GCNA1 expression is not restricted to the gonadal environment and is not dependent on the Ftz-F1 gene products suggests that GCNA1 expression may be initiated in the germ cell lineage by autonomous means...
- Orphan receptor DAX-1 is a shuttling RNA binding protein associated with polyribosomes via mRNAE Lalli
Institut de Genetique et de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, CNRS, INSERM, Universite Louis Pasteur, Illkirch Strasbourg, France
Mol Cell Biol 20:4910-21. 2000..Mutations in DAX-1 found in AHC-HHG patients significantly impair RNA binding. These findings reveal that DAX-1 plays multiple regulatory roles at the transcriptional and posttranscriptional levels...
- Identification of novel first exons in Ad4BP/SF-1 (NR5A1) gene and their tissue- and species-specific usageR Kimura
Department of Molecular Biology, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kyushu University, Maidashi, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 278:63-71. 2000It has been demonstrated that the mammalian Ad4BP/SF-1 (NR5A1) gene is regulated precisely in sex, tissue, and developmental stage specific manners...
- Haploinsufficiency of steroidogenic factor-1 in mice disrupts adrenal development leading to an impaired stress responseM L Bland
Department of Physiology, Graduate Programs in Biomedical Sciences and Developmental Biology, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:14488-93. 2000..Our findings predict that natural variations leading to reduced SF-1 function may underlie some forms of subclinical adrenal insufficiency, which become life threatening during traumatic stress...
- Knockout mice lacking steroidogenic factor 1 are a novel genetic model of hypothalamic obesityGregor Majdic
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390, USA
Endocrinology 143:607-14. 2002Knockout (KO) mice lacking steroidogenic factor 1 (SF-1) exhibit a phenotype that includes adrenal and gonadal agenesis, impaired gonadotropin expression, and abnormalities of the ventromedial hypothalamic nucleus (VMH)...
- Differential regulation of aldosterone synthase and 11beta-hydroxylase transcription by steroidogenic factor-1M H Bassett
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, Texas 75390 9032, USA
J Mol Endocrinol 28:125-35. 2002..Taken together, these data suggest that SF-1 and the Ad4 element are not major regulators of adrenal hCYP11B2 gene expression. Thus far, hCYP11B2 is the first steroid hydroxylase gene which is not positively regulated by SF-1...
- Requirement of the orphan nuclear receptor SF-1 in terminal differentiation of ventromedial hypothalamic neuronsPhu V Tran
Department of Physiology, University of California, San Francisco, 94143 0444, USA
Mol Cell Neurosci 22:441-53. 2003..Our findings demonstrate that SF-1 is required for terminal differentiation of the VMN and suggest that transcriptional targets of SF-1 mediate normal circuitry between the hypothalamus and limbic structures in the telencephalon...
- T-cell factor 4N (TCF-4N), a novel isoform of mouse TCF-4, synergizes with beta-catenin to coactivate C/EBPalpha and steroidogenic factor 1 transcription factorsJennifer A Kennell
Program in Cellular and Molecular Biology, Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Michigan Medical School, 1301 E Catherine Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0622, USA
Mol Cell Biol 23:5366-75. 2003..the alpha-inhibin promoter through functional and physical interactions with the orphan nuclear receptor steroidogenic factor 1 (SF-1)...
- Tissue-specific knockouts of steroidogenic factor 1Liping Zhao
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX 75390 8857, USA
Mol Cell Endocrinol 215:89-94. 2004Targeted gene disruption has produced knockout (KO) mice globally deficient in the orphan nuclear receptor steroidogenic factor 1 (SF-1)...
- Cell-specific knockout of steroidogenic factor 1 reveals its essential roles in gonadal functionPancharatnam Jeyasuria
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 8857, USA
Mol Endocrinol 18:1610-9. 2004Knockout (KO) mice lacking the orphan nuclear receptor steroidogenic factor 1 (SF-1, officially designated Nr5a1) have a compound endocrine phenotype that includes adrenal and gonadal agenesis, impaired expression of pituitary ..
- Of mice and men: The tale of steroidogenic factor-1J Larry Jameson
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:5927-9. 2004
- Steroid receptor coactivator-1-deficient mice exhibit altered hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis functionJonathon N Winnay
Department of Molecular and Integrative Physiology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0678, USA
Endocrinology 147:1322-32. 2006..Collectively, these data are consistent with an indispensable role for SRC-1 in mediating actions of glucocorticoids in pituitary and liver...
- Farnesoid X receptor, through the binding with steroidogenic factor 1-responsive element, inhibits aromatase expression in tumor Leydig cellsStefania Catalano
Department of Pharmaco Biology, University of Calabria, 87030 Arcavacata di Rende Cs, Italy
J Biol Chem 285:5581-93. 2010..mobility shift, and chromatin immunoprecipitation analysis reveal that FXR is able to compete with steroidogenic factor 1 in binding to a common sequence present in the aromatase promoter region interfering negatively with its ..
- Developmental expression of mouse steroidogenic factor-1, an essential regulator of the steroid hydroxylasesY Ikeda
Department of Medicine, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710
Mol Endocrinol 8:654-62. 1994..Additionally, SF-1 is expressed in the embryonic forebrain, implying a role in neural development...
- A cell-specific nuclear receptor is essential for adrenal and gonadal development and sexual differentiationX Luo
Department of Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710
Cell 77:481-90. 1994..Male and female Ftz-F1 null mice had female internal genitalia, despite complete gonadal agenesis. These studies establish that the Ftz-F1 gene is essential for sexual differentiation and formation of the primary steroidogenic tissues...
- Nuclear receptor steroidogenic factor 1 regulates the müllerian inhibiting substance gene: a link to the sex determination cascadeW H Shen
Department of Obstetrics, Gynocology, and Reproductive Sciences, University of California, San Francisco 94143 0556
Cell 77:651-61. 1994..In primary Sertoli cells, the orphan nuclear receptor, steroidogenic factor 1 (SF-1), regulates the MIS gene by binding to a conserved upstream regulatory element...
- Steroidogenic factor-1 contains a carboxy-terminal transcriptional activation domain that interacts with steroid receptor coactivator-1M Ito
Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Molecular Medicine, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Mol Endocrinol 12:290-301. 1998..Natural variants of the FTZ-F1 locus include embryonal long terminal repeat-binding protein (ELP)-1, ELP-2, and SF-1, which share the DNA-binding domain...
- Phosphorylation of the nuclear receptor SF-1 modulates cofactor recruitment: integration of hormone signaling in reproduction and stressG D Hammer
Department of Physiology, University of California, San Francisco 94143 0444, USA
Mol Cell 3:521-6. 1999b>Steroidogenic factor 1 (SF-1) is an orphan nuclear receptor that serves as an essential regulator of many hormone-induced genes in the vertebrate endocrine system...
- SF-1 (steroidogenic factor-1) and C/EBP beta (CCAAT/enhancer binding protein-beta) cooperate to regulate the murine StAR (steroidogenic acute regulatory) promoterA J Reinhart
Department of Cell Biology and Biochemistry, Texas Tech University Health Science Center Lubbock 79430, USA
Mol Endocrinol 13:729-41. 1999..These data indicate that in addition to SF-1, C/EBP beta is involved in the transcriptional regulation of the StAR gene and may play an important role in developmental and hormone-responsive regulation of steroidogenesis...
- Dax-1 as one of the target genes of Ad4BP/SF-1K Kawabe
Department of Developmental Biology, National Institute for Basic Biology, School of Life Science, The Graduate University for Advanced Studies, Core Research for Evolutional Science and Technology, Okazaki, Japan
Mol Endocrinol 13:1267-84. 1999..In recent studies, DAX-1 was reported to function as a transcriptional suppressor of Ad4BP/SF-1, a critical transcription factor in gonadal and adrenal differentiation...
- Developmental and hormonal regulation of murine scavenger receptor, class B, type 1G Cao
Department of Molecular Genetics, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, 75235, USA
Mol Endocrinol 13:1460-73. 1999..Taken together, these studies suggest that trophic hormones can override the suppressive effect of cholesterol on SR-BI expression, thus ensuring that steroidogenesis is maintained during stress...
- Sry induces cell proliferation in the mouse gonadJ Schmahl
The Department of Cell Biology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Development 127:65-73. 2000..During the first stage, proliferation in the XY gonad was observed largely in SF1-positive cells and contributed to the Sertoli cell population...
- The LIM homeobox gene Lhx9 is essential for mouse gonad formationO S Birk
Laboratory of Mammalian Genes and Development, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Nature 403:909-13. 2000..The expression of steroidogenic factor 1 (Sf1), a nuclear receptor essential for gonadogenesis, is reduced to minimal levels in the Lhx9-deficient ..
- The nuclear receptor coactivators p300/CBP/cointegrator-associated protein (p/CIP) and transcription intermediary factor 2 (TIF2) differentially regulate PKA-stimulated transcriptional activity of steroidogenic factor 1Bente Børud
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Bergen, N 5009 Bergen, Norway
Mol Endocrinol 16:757-73. 2002..Thus, in contrast to the regulation of p/CIP and steroid receptor coactivator 1, we suggest that activation of PKA leads to selective down-regulation of TIF2 and subsequently repression of TIF2 coactivator function...
- Desert Hedgehog/Patched 1 signaling specifies fetal Leydig cell fate in testis organogenesisHumphrey Hung Chang Yao
Department of Cell Biology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Genes Dev 16:1433-40. 2002..our results suggest that DHH/PTCH1 signaling triggers Leydig cell differentiation by up-regulating Steroidogenic Factor 1 and P450 Side Chain Cleavage enzyme expression in Ptch1-expressing precursor cells located outside testis ..
- The Wilms tumor suppressor WT1 regulates early gonad development by activation of Sf1Dagmar Wilhelm
Institut für Toxikologie und Genetik, Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe, 76021 Karlsruhe, Germany
Genes Dev 16:1839-51. 2002..genes including the Wilms tumor suppressor gene Wt1, the Lim homeobox gene Lhx9, and the gene encoding steroidogenic factor 1 (Sf1) have been implicated in the development of the indifferent gonad prior to sexual differentiation...
- Gonadal differentiation, sex determination and normal Sry expression in mice require direct interaction between transcription partners GATA4 and FOG2Sergei G Tevosian
Division of Hematology and Oncology, Children s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Development 129:4627-34. 2002..By contrast, Wt1 and Sf1, which are expressed prior to Sry and necessary for gonad development in both sexes, were expressed normally in ..
- Phosphorylation and intramolecular stabilization of the ligand binding domain in the nuclear receptor steroidogenic factor 1Marion Desclozeaux
Departments of Physiology Cellular and Molecular Pharmacology Biochemistry and Biophysics University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143 0444, USA
Mol Cell Biol 22:7193-203. 2002b>Steroidogenic factor 1 (SF-1) is an orphan nuclear receptor with no known ligand...
- SOX8 is expressed during testis differentiation in mice and synergizes with SF1 to activate the Amh promoter in vitroGoslik Schepers
Institute for Molecular Bioscience, The University of Queensland, Brisbane 4072, Australia
J Biol Chem 278:28101-8. 2003..of the Amh gene during sex differentiation requires the interaction of several transcription factors, including SF1, SOX9, GATA4, WT1, and DAX1. Here we show that SOX8 may also be involved in regulating the expression of Amh...
- Endothelial and steroidogenic cell migration are regulated by WNT4 in the developing mammalian gonadKatherine Jeays-Ward
Section of Gene Function and Regulation, Institute of Cancer Research, 237 Fulham Road, London SW3 6JB, UK
Development 130:3663-70. 2003..These studies provide a model for understanding how the same signalling molecule can act on two different cell types to coordinate sex development...
- Wnt4 overexpression disrupts normal testicular vasculature and inhibits testosterone synthesis by repressing steroidogenic factor 1/beta-catenin synergyBrian K Jordan
Department of Human Genetics, University of California School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90095 7088, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:10866-71. 2003..the functional synergy observed between the major effector of the Wnt signaling pathway, beta-catenin and steroidogenic factor 1, and chromatin immunoprecipitation showed that Wnt4 attenuates recruitment of beta-catenin to the ..
- Pbx1 is essential for adrenal development and urogenital differentiationCatherine A Schnabel
Genesis 37:123-30. 2003..These findings establish a Pbx1-dependent pathway that regulates the expansion of SF-1 positive cells essential for adrenal formation and gonadal differentiation and demonstrate an early requirement for Pbx1 in urogenital development...
- Differential requirement for steroidogenic factor-1 gene dosage in adrenal development versus endocrine functionMichelle L Bland
Department of Physiology, Biomedical Sciences Graduate Program, University of California San Francisco, Box 0444, San Francisco, CA 94143 0444, USA
Mol Endocrinol 18:941-52. 2004..Our findings underscore the need for full SF-1 gene dosage early in adrenal development, but not in the adult adrenal, where compensatory mechanisms restore near normal function...
- Functional analysis of Sox8 and Sox9 during sex determination in the mouseMarie Christine Chaboissier
INSERM U470, Centre de Biochimie, Parc Valrose, 06108 Nice Cedex 2, France
Development 131:1891-901. 2004..Finally, double knock-out analyses suggest that Sox8 reinforces Sox9 function in testis differentiation of mice...
- Small ubiquitin-like modifier 1 (SUMO-1) modification of the synergy control motif of Ad4 binding protein/steroidogenic factor 1 (Ad4BP/SF-1) regulates synergistic transcription between Ad4BP/SF-1 and Sox9Tomoko Komatsu
Department of Developmental Biology, National Institute for Basic Biology, Okazaki 444 8787, Japan
Mol Endocrinol 18:2451-62. 2004An orphan nuclear receptor, Ad4 binding protein/steroidogenic factor 1 (Ad4BP/SF-1), is essential for the development and function of steroidogenic tissues...
- SUMO modification of repression domains modulates function of nuclear receptor 5A1 (steroidogenic factor-1)Wei yi Chen
Graduate Institute of Life Sciences, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei 114, Taiwan
J Biol Chem 279:38730-5. 2004b>Steroidogenic factor 1 (SF-1 or NR5A1), is a Ftz-F1 member of the nuclear receptor superfamily that plays essential roles in endocrine development, steroidogenesis, and gonad differentiation...
- One tissue, two fates: molecular genetic events that underlie testis versus ovary developmentJennifer Brennan
Department of Cell Biology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Nat Rev Genet 5:509-21. 2004
- Fgf9 induces proliferation and nuclear localization of FGFR2 in Sertoli precursors during male sex determinationJennifer Schmahl
Department of Cell Biology, Duke University, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Development 131:3627-36. 2004..The nuclear localization of FGFR2 coincides with the initiation of Sry expression and the nuclear localization of SOX9 during the early differentiation of Sertoli cells and the determination of male fate...
- Disrupted gonadogenesis and male-to-female sex reversal in Pod1 knockout miceShiying Cui
Department of Maternal and Fetal Health, Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, University of Toronto, Ontario M5G 1X5, Canada
Development 131:4095-105. 2004..Biochemical and genetic approaches demonstrated that Pod1 transcriptionally represses steroidogenic factor 1 (Sf1/Nr5a1/Ad4BP), an orphan nuclear receptor that regulates the expression of multiple genes (including ..
- Wnt4 is required for proper male as well as female sexual developmentKatherine Jeays-Ward
Section of Gene Function and Regulation, Institute of Cancer Research, 237 Fulham Road, London SW3 6JB, UK
Dev Biol 276:431-40. 2004..These results identify WNT4 as a new factor involved in the mammalian testis determination pathway and show that genes can have a specific but distinct role in both male and female gonad development...
- The transcription factors steroidogenic factor-1 and SOX9 regulate expression of Vanin-1 during mouse testis developmentMegan J Wilson
Institute for Molecular Bioscience, The University of Queensland, Brisbane 4072, Queensland, Australia
J Biol Chem 280:5917-23. 2005..Our findings account for the sex- and cell-type-specific expression of Vanin-1 in the developing mouse gonad in vivo, which we suggest is required to provide an appropriate environment for male germ cell development...
- Structural analyses reveal phosphatidyl inositols as ligands for the NR5 orphan receptors SF-1 and LRH-1Irina N Krylova
Department of Physiology, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Cell 120:343-55. 2005Vertebrate members of the nuclear receptor NR5A subfamily, which includes steroidogenic factor 1 (SF-1) and liver receptor homolog 1 (LRH-1), regulate crucial aspects of development, endocrine homeostasis, and metabolism...
- The DEAD-box protein DP103 (Ddx20 or Gemin-3) represses orphan nuclear receptor activity via SUMO modificationMartin B Lee
Department of Physiology, Biomedical Sciences Graduate Program, Graduate Program in Biological Sciences, Mission Bay Campus, University of California, San Francisco, Box 0444, San Francisco, CA 94143 2611, USA
Mol Cell Biol 25:1879-90. 2005..Here, we report that steroidogenic factor 1 (SF-1) and liver receptor homolog 1 are repressed via posttranslational SUMO modification at conserved ..
- Crystallographic identification and functional characterization of phospholipids as ligands for the orphan nuclear receptor steroidogenic factor-1Yong Li
Laboratory of Structural Sciences, Van Andel Research Institute, 333 Bostwick Avenue, Grand Rapids, MI 49503, USA
Mol Cell 17:491-502. 2005The orphan nuclear receptor steroidogenic factor 1 (SF-1) regulates the differentiation and function of endocrine glands...
- The role of Phox2B in chromaffin cell developmentKatrin Huber
Neuroanatomy, Interdisciplinary Center for Neurosciences, University of Heidelberg, INF 307, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Dev Biol 279:501-8. 2005..5. We conclude that Phox2B regulates very early events in the differentiation of adrenal chromaffin cells distinct to steps, which essentially require MASH-1...
- Nuclear receptors Sf1 and Dax1 function cooperatively to mediate somatic cell differentiation during testis developmentSusan Y Park
Division of Endocrinology and Department of Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Development 132:2415-23. 2005Mutations of orphan nuclear receptors SF1 and DAX1 each cause adrenal insufficiency and gonadal dysgenesis in humans, although the pathological features are distinct...
- A novel isoform of Vinexin, Vinexin gamma, regulates Sox9 gene expression through activation of MAPK cascade in mouse fetal gonadMakoto Matsuyama
Division of Sex Differentiation, National Institute for Basic Biology, Okazaki 444 8787, Japan
Genes Cells 10:421-34. 2005..Thus, Vinexin gamma seems to be implicated in regulation of Sox9 gene expression by modulating MAPK cascade in mouse fetal gonads...
- Foxl2 is required for commitment to ovary differentiationChris Ottolenghi
Laboratory of Genetics, National Institute on Aging, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Hum Mol Genet 14:2053-62. 2005..This suggests the possible continued involvement of sex-determining genes in maintaining ovarian function throughout female reproductive life...
- Adrenocorticotropic hormone-mediated signaling cascades coordinate a cyclic pattern of steroidogenic factor 1-dependent transcriptional activationJonathon N Winnay
Department of Molecular and Integrative Pysiology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0678, USA
Mol Endocrinol 20:147-66. 2006b>Steroidogenic factor 1 (SF-1) is an orphan nuclear receptor that has emerged as a critical mediator of endocrine function at multiple levels of the hypothalamic-pituitary-steroidogenic axis...
- Lack of an adrenal cortex in Sf1 mutant mice is compatible with the generation and differentiation of chromaffin cellsPhilipp Gut
Neuroanatomy and Interdisciplinary Center for Neurosciences IZN of Heidelberg, INF 307, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Development 132:4611-9. 2005..in the absence of an adrenal cortex, using mice deficient for the nuclear orphan receptor steroidogenic factor-1 (SF1), which lack adrenal cortical cells and gonads...
- Homozygous inactivation of Sox9 causes complete XY sex reversal in miceFrancisco Barrionuevo
Institute of Human Genetics and Anthropology, University of Freiburg, D 79106 Freiburg, Germany
Biol Reprod 74:195-201. 2006..Our results provide in vivo proof that, in contrast to the situation in humans, complete XY sex reversal in mice requires inactivation of both Sox9 alleles and that Sox9 is essential for testogenesis in mice...
- Two-step regulation of Ad4BP/SF-1 gene transcription during fetal adrenal development: initiation by a Hox-Pbx1-Prep1 complex and maintenance via autoregulation by Ad4BP/SF-1Mohamad Zubair
Division of Sex Differentiation, National Institute for Basic Biology, Myodaiji cho, Okazaki 444 8787, Japan
Mol Cell Biol 26:4111-21. 2006The orphan nuclear receptor Ad4BP/SF-1 (adrenal 4 binding protein/steroidogenic factor 1) is essential for the proper development and function of reproductive and steroidogenic tissues...
- The Wilms tumor gene, Wt1, is required for Sox9 expression and maintenance of tubular architecture in the developing testisFei Gao
Department of Molecular Genetics Cancer Genetics, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:11987-92. 2006..Our data, along with previous work demonstrating the role of Wt1 at early stages of gonadal development, thus indicate that Wt1 is essential at multiple steps in testicular development...
- Adrenal development is initiated by Cited2 and Wt1 through modulation of Sf-1 dosagePierre Val
Section of Gene Function and Regulation, Institute of Cancer Research, 237 Fulham Road, London SW3 6JB, UK
Development 134:2349-58. 2007..Cited2 interacts with the transcription factor Wt1 to stimulate expression of the nuclear hormone receptor Sf-1 (Nr5a1) in the AGP prior to the separation between gonad and adrenal cortex...
- Importance of forkhead transcription factor Fkhl18 for development of testicular vasculatureYuko Sato
Division of Sex Differentiation, National Institute for Basic Biology, National Institutes of Natural Sciences, Okazaki, Japan
Mol Reprod Dev 75:1361-71. 2008..Considering that Fas ligand gene expression is activated by Foxs, the elevated activity of Foxs in the absence of Fkhl18 probably explains the marked apoptosis of periendothelial cells in Fkhl18 KO mice...
- Pituitary homeobox 2 regulates adrenal4 binding protein/steroidogenic factor-1 gene transcription in the pituitary gonadotrope through interaction with the intronic enhancerYuichi Shima
Division for Sex Differentiation, National Institute for Basic Biology, National Institutes of Natural Sciences, Okazaki, Japan
Mol Endocrinol 22:1633-46. 2008b>Ad4BP/SF-1 [adrenal4 binding protein/steroidogenic factor-1 (NR5A1)] is a factor important for animal reproduction and endocrine regulation, and its expression is tightly regulated in the gonad, adrenal gland, ventromedial hypothalamic ..
- Sex determination involves synergistic action of SRY and SF1 on a specific Sox9 enhancerRyohei Sekido
Division of Developmental Genetics, MRC National Institute for Medical Research, The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, London NW7 1AA, UK
Nature 453:930-4. 2008..binds to multiple elements within a Sox9 gonad-specific enhancer in mice, and that it does so along with steroidogenic factor 1 (SF1, encoded by the gene Nr5a1 (Sf1)), an orphan nuclear receptor...
- Steroidogenic factor 1 regulates expression of the cannabinoid receptor 1 in the ventromedial hypothalamic nucleusKi Woo Kim
Department of Internal Medicine, UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 8857, USA
Mol Endocrinol 22:1950-61. 2008The nuclear receptor steroidogenic factor 1 (SF-1) plays essential roles in the development and function of the ventromedial hypothalamic nucleus (VMH)...
- REGULATION OF REPRODUCTIONSynthia Mellon; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Regulation and function of Egr in gonadotropes.Michael Wolfe; Fiscal Year: 2007..Information obtained from these experiments will provide valuable insights into why GnRH induction of LHbeta expression is intimately tied to a specific pattern of pulsatile release of GnRH from the hypothalamus. ..
- Immunobiological Role of Fertilization Antigen(FA-1)RAJESH NAZ; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Post-transcriptional regulation of gene expression by thyroid hormone receptorsBin Xu; Fiscal Year: 2008..The findings of TR targeted mRNAs will reveal novel functions of TR to regulate gene expression at post-transcriptional levels related to the brain function and neurodevelopment.. [unreadable] [unreadable]..