Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Pecam1
Description: platelet/endothelial cell adhesion molecule 1
Alias: C85791, Cd31, PECAM-1, Pecam, platelet endothelial cell adhesion molecule
Publications201 found, 100 shown here
- Abnormal blood vessel development and lethality in embryos lacking a single VEGF alleleP Carmeliet
Center for Transgene Technology and Gene Therapy, Flanders Interuniversity Institute for Biotechnology, Leuven, Belgium
Nature 380:435-9. 1996....
- Requisite role of angiopoietin-1, a ligand for the TIE2 receptor, during embryonic angiogenesisC Suri
Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Inc, Tarrytown, New York 10591, USA
Cell 87:1171-80. 1996..Angiopoietin-1 seems to play a crucial role in mediating reciprocal interactions between the endothelium and surrounding matrix and mesenchyme...
- HIF-1 alpha is required for solid tumor formation and embryonic vascularizationH E Ryan
Department of Biology, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0366, USA
EMBO J 17:3005-15. 1998..These data demonstrate the essential role of HIF-1alpha in controlling both embryonic and tumorigenic responses to variations in microenvironmental oxygenation...
- Blocking VEGFR-3 suppresses angiogenic sprouting and vascular network formationTuomas Tammela
Molecular Cancer Biology Laboratory and Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, Biomedicum Helsinki and the Haartman Institute University of Helsinki, PO Box 63 Haartmaninkatu 8, 00014 Helsinki, Finland
Nature 454:656-60. 2008..Our results implicate VEGFR-3 as a regulator of vascular network formation. Targeting VEGFR-3 may provide additional efficacy for anti-angiogenic therapies, especially towards vessels that are resistant to VEGF or VEGFR-2 inhibitors...
- Neuropilin-1 conveys semaphorin and VEGF signaling during neural and cardiovascular developmentChenghua Gu
Department of Neuroscience, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 725 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Dev Cell 5:45-57. 2003..Therefore, Npn-1 is a multifunctional receptor that mediates the activities of structurally distinct ligands during development of the heart, vasculature, and nervous system...
- Vascular endothelial growth factor C is required for sprouting of the first lymphatic vessels from embryonic veinsMarika J Karkkainen
Molecular Cancer Biology Laboratory and Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, Haartman Institute and Helsinki University Hospital, Biomedicum Helsinki, University of Helsinki, PO Box 63, 00014 Helsinki, Finland
Nat Immunol 5:74-80. 2004..Our results indicate that VEGF-C is the paracrine factor essential for lymphangiogenesis, and show that both Vegfc alleles are required for normal lymphatic development...
- Haploinsufficiency of delta-like 4 ligand results in embryonic lethality due to major defects in arterial and vascular developmentNicholas W Gale
Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, 777 Old Saw Mill River Road, Tarrytown, NY 10591, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:15949-54. 2004..In summary, Dll4 appears to be a major trigger of Notch receptor activities previously implicated in arterial and vascular development, and it may represent a new opportunity for pro- and anti-angiogenic therapies...
- Disrupted cardiac development but normal hematopoiesis in mice deficient in the second CXCL12/SDF-1 receptor, CXCR7Frederic Sierro
Department of Immunology and Inflammation, Garvan Institute of Medical Research, 384 Victoria Street, Darlinghurst NSW 2010, Australia
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:14759-64. 2007..Our results reveal a specialized role for CXCR7 in endothelial biology and valve development and highlight the distinct developmental role of evolutionary conserved chemokine receptors such as CXCR7 and CXCR4...
- NG2 proteoglycan is expressed exclusively by mural cells during vascular morphogenesisU Ozerdem
The Burnham Institute, 10901 North Torrey Pines Road, San Diego, CA 92307, USA
Dev Dyn 222:218-27. 2001..Additional insight into these and other aspects of vascular morphogenesis should be possible through use of NG2 as a mural cell marker...
- The sphingosine-1-phosphate receptor S1PR1 restricts sprouting angiogenesis by regulating the interplay between VE-cadherin and VEGFR2Konstantin Gaengel
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics, Division of Vascular Biology, Karolinska Institutet, 17177 Stockholm, Sweden
Dev Cell 23:587-99. 2012..Our data suggest that S1PR1 signaling acts as a vascular-intrinsic stabilization mechanism, protecting developing blood vessels against aberrant angiogenic responses...
- Mapping Wnt/beta-catenin signaling during mouse development and in colorectal tumorsSilvia Maretto
Histology and Embryology Section, Department of Histology, Microbiology, and Medical Biotechnology, University of Padua, 35131 Padua, Italy
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:3299-304. 2003..In summary, BAT-gal mice unveil the entire complexity of Wntbeta-catenin signaling in mammals and have broad application potentials for the identification of Wnt-responsive cell populations in development and disease...
- Islet 1 is expressed in distinct cardiovascular lineages, including pacemaker and coronary vascular cellsYunfu Sun
Skaggs School of Pharmacy, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Dev Biol 304:286-96. 2007..Our studies suggest a role for Isl1 in these distinct domains of expression within the heart...
- Sox18 induces development of the lymphatic vasculature in miceMathias Francois
Institute for Molecular Bioscience, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland 4072, Australia
Nature 456:643-7. 2008..Our findings demonstrate a critical role for Sox18 in developmental lymphangiogenesis, and suggest new avenues to investigate for therapeutic management of human lymphangiopathies...
- Notch signaling is essential for vascular morphogenesis in miceL T Krebs
The Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, Maine 04609 USA
Genes Dev 14:1343-52. 2000....
- Spatially restricted patterning cues provided by heparin-binding VEGF-A control blood vessel branching morphogenesisChristiana Ruhrberg
Endothelial Cell Biology Laboratory, Cancer Research UK London Research Institute, London WC2A 3PX, United Kingdom
Genes Dev 16:2684-98. 2002..We conclude that differential VEGF-A isoform localization in the extracellular space provides a control point for regulating vascular branching pattern...
- A novel role for PECAM-1 (CD31) in regulating haematopoietic progenitor cell compartmentalization between the peripheral blood and bone marrowEwan A Ross
Rheumatology Research Group, MRC Centre for Immune Regulation, University of Birmingham, Birminham, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 3:e2338. 2008Although the expression of PECAM-1 (CD31) on vascular and haematopoietic cells within the bone marrow microenvironment has been recognized for some time, its physiological role within this niche remains unexplored...
- Slug is a direct Notch target required for initiation of cardiac cushion cellularizationKyle Niessen
Department of Medical Biophysics, British Columbia Cancer Agency, Vancouver V5Z 1L3, Canada
J Cell Biol 182:315-25. 2008..Collectively, our data suggest that combined expression of Slug and Snail is required for EMT in cardiac cushion morphogenesis...
- Vascular endothelial platelet endothelial cell adhesion molecule 1 (PECAM-1) regulates advanced metastatic progressionHorace Delisser
Department of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:18616-21. 2010..Here we show that the TME, functioning in part through platelet endothelial cell adhesion molecule 1 (PECAM-1), drives advanced metastatic progression and is essential for progression through ..
- Role of the Flt-1 receptor tyrosine kinase in regulating the assembly of vascular endotheliumG H Fong
Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Nature 376:66-70. 1995..We suggest that the Flt-1 signalling pathway may regulate normal endothelial cell-cell or cell-matrix interactions during vascular development...
- Abnormal lymphatic vessel development in neuropilin 2 mutant miceLi Yuan
INSERM U36, College de France, 11, place Marcelin Berthelot, 75005 Paris, France
Development 129:4797-806. 2002..Arteries, veins and larger, collecting lymphatic vessels developed normally, suggesting that neuropilin 2 is selectively required for the formation of small lymphatic vessels and capillaries...
- The Notch ligand Delta-like 4 negatively regulates endothelial tip cell formation and vessel branchingSteven Suchting
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, U833, 75005 Paris, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:3225-30. 2007..Taken together, these data reveal Dll4 as a negative regulator of vascular sprouting and vessel branching that is required for normal vascular network formation during development...
- Endothelial cell activation leads to neutrophil transmigration as supported by the sequential roles of ICAM-2, JAM-A, and PECAM-1Abigail Woodfin
Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary University of London, William Harvey Research Institute, London, United Kingdom
Blood 113:6246-57. 2009..how intercellular adhesion molecule-2 (ICAM-2), junctional adhesion molecule-A (JAM-A), and platelet endothelial cell adhesion molecule (PECAM-1) mediate neutrophil transmigration in a stimulus-dependent manner (eg, as induced by ..
- FOXC2 controls formation and maturation of lymphatic collecting vessels through cooperation with NFATc1Camilla Norrmen
Molecular Cancer Biology Program, Biomedicum Helsinki, Helsinki University Central Hospital, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
J Cell Biol 185:439-57. 2009..As damage to collecting vessels is a major cause of lymphatic dysfunction in humans, our results suggest that FOXC2 and NFATc1 are potential targets for therapeutic intervention...
- Prox1 function is required for the development of the murine lymphatic systemJ T Wigle
Department of Genetics, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee 38105, USA
Cell 98:769-78. 1999..These findings suggest that Prox1 is a specific and required regulator of the development of the lymphatic system and that the vascular and lymphatic systems develop independently...
- A role for hematopoietic stem cells in promoting angiogenesisN Takakura
Department of Cell Differentiation, Institute of Molecular Embryology and Genetics, Kumamoto University School of Medicine, Japan
Cell 102:199-209. 2000..HSCs, which express Ang1, directly promoted migration of ECs in vivo and in vitro. These results indicate that HSCs are critical for angiogenesis...
- Edg-1, the G protein-coupled receptor for sphingosine-1-phosphate, is essential for vascular maturationY Liu
Genetics of Development and Disease Branch, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1821, USA
J Clin Invest 106:951-61. 2000..Our data reveal Edg-1 to be the first G protein-coupled receptor required for blood vessel formation and show that sphingolipid signaling is essential during mammalian development...
- beta8 integrins are required for vascular morphogenesis in mouse embryosJiangwen Zhu
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Department of Physiology, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Development 129:2891-903. 2002..This study thus identifies a molecule crucial for vascular patterning in embryonic yolk sac and brain...
- A mechanosensory complex that mediates the endothelial cell response to fluid shear stressEleni Tzima
Department of Cell Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, 10550 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Nature 437:426-31. 2005..Here we investigate the pathway upstream of integrin activation. PECAM-1 (which directly transmits mechanical force), vascular endothelial cell cadherin (which functions as an adaptor) ..
- Vascular development of the brain requires beta8 integrin expression in the neuroepitheliumJohn M Proctor
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Physiology, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
J Neurosci 25:9940-8. 2005....
- Endothelial FAK is essential for vascular network stability, cell survival, and lamellipodial formationRickmer Braren
The Pacific Vascular Research Laboratory, Division of Vascular Surgery, Department of Surgery, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
J Cell Biol 172:151-62. 2006..This study reveals that FAK is crucial for vascular morphogenesis and the regulation of EC survival and morphology...
- The CXCL12 (SDF-1)/CXCR4 axis is essential for the development of renal vasculatureYoshitsugu Takabatake
Department of Geriatric Medicine and Nephrology, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine B6, Suita, Japan
J Am Soc Nephrol 20:1714-23. 2009..We conclude that CXCL12 secreted from stromal cells or podocytes acts on endothelial cells to regulate vascular development in the kidney. These findings suggest new potential therapeutic targets for remodeling the injured kidney...
- CCBE1 is essential for mammalian lymphatic vascular development and enhances the lymphangiogenic effect of vascular endothelial growth factor-C in vivoFrank L Bos
Hubrecht Institute KNAW, Uppsalalaan 8, 3584 CT Utrecht, The Netherlands
Circ Res 109:486-91. 2011..Insight into the molecular role of CCBE1 is completely lacking, and mouse models for the disease do not exist...
- Neuropilin-1 expression in cancer and developmentAdrian M Jubb
Department of Pathology, Genentech Inc, South San Francisco, CA 94080, USA
J Pathol 226:50-60. 2012..These observations confirm NRP1 as a valid anti-angiogenic target in malignancy, and as a potential direct anti-tumour target in a subset of cancers. The data also confirm a role for NRP1 in physiological, VEGF-mediated angiogenesis...
- Segmental territories along the cardinal veins generate lymph sacs via a ballooning mechanism during embryonic lymphangiogenesis in miceMathias Francois
Institute for Molecular Bioscience, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD 4072, Australia
Dev Biol 364:89-98. 2012..Our data support a new model for lymphatic vascular patterning and morphogenesis, as a basis for identifying the molecular cues governing these processes...
- Mechanotransduction, PROX1, and FOXC2 cooperate to control connexin37 and calcineurin during lymphatic-valve formationAmélie Sabine
Division of Experimental Oncology, Multidisciplinary Oncology Center, University Hospital of Lausanne, Switzerland
Dev Cell 22:430-45. 2012..Our results also provide molecular insights into the role of endothelial cell identity in the regulation of vascular mechanotransduction...
- Runx2 protein stabilizes hypoxia-inducible factor-1α through competition with von Hippel-Lindau protein (pVHL) and stimulates angiogenesis in growth plate hypertrophic chondrocytesSun Hee Lee
School of Life Sciences and Biotechnology, College of Natural Sciences, Daegu 702 701, South Korea
J Biol Chem 287:14760-71. 2012..mice, HIF-1α and Runx2 were colocalized in hypertrophic chondrocytes in which the cluster of differentiation 31 (CD31) protein was expressed at embryonic day 15.5 (E15.5)...
- Defective associations between blood vessels and brain parenchyma lead to cerebral hemorrhage in mice lacking alphav integrinsJoseph H McCarty
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Center for Cancer Research, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Mol Cell Biol 22:7667-77. 2002..These data suggest a novel role for alphav integrins in the association between cerebral microvessels and central nervous system parenchymal cells...
- Beta1 integrin expression on endothelial cells is required for angiogenesis but not for vasculogenesisHarikrishna Tanjore
Division of Matrix Biology, Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Dev Dyn 237:75-82. 2008..5. The embryos exhibit growth retardation and both histological evaluation and PECAM-1 staining of E9.5 embryos revealed defects in angiogenic sprouting and vascular branching morphogenesis...
- Defective development of the embryonic and extraembryonic circulatory systems in vascular cell adhesion molecule (VCAM-1) deficient miceL Kwee
Department of Biotechnology, Roche Research Center, Hoffmann La Roche Inc, Nutley, NJ 07110 1199, USA
Development 121:489-503. 1995..These data suggest important roles for VCAM-1 and alpha 4 in the development of the placenta and the heart...
- Molecular and functional aspects of PECAM-1/CD31H M DeLisser
Dept of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia 19104
Immunol Today 15:490-5. 1994Among vascular cell adhesion molecules, platelet-endothelial cell adhesion molecule (PECAM-1/CD31) has the distinctive feature of being expressed on several of the major cell types associated with the vascular compartment...
- Angiopoietin-2, a natural antagonist for Tie2 that disrupts in vivo angiogenesisP C Maisonpierre
Regeneron Pharmaceuticals Inc, 777 Old Saw Mill River Road, Tarrytown, NY 10591, USA
Science 277:55-60. 1997..Natural antagonists for vertebrate receptor tyrosine kinases are atypical; thus, the discovery of a negative regulator acting on Tie2 emphasizes the need for exquisite regulation of this angiogenic receptor system...
- YAC complementation shows a requirement for Wt1 in the development of epicardium, adrenal gland and throughout nephrogenesisA W Moore
MRC Human Genetics Unit, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU, UK
Development 126:1845-57. 1999..These data demonstrate a variety of new functions for WT1 and suggest a general requirement for this protein in the formation of organs derived from the intermediate mesoderm...
- PlexinD1 and semaphorin signaling are required in endothelial cells for cardiovascular developmentAaron D Gitler
Cardiovascular Division, Department of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania Health System, 954 BRB II III, 421 Curie Boulevard, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Dev Cell 7:107-16. 2004..Thus, molecular programs that mediate axon guidance in the central nervous system also function in endothelial cells to orchestrate critical aspects of cardiac morphogenesis...
- Sphingosine 1-phosphate receptor regulation of N-cadherin mediates vascular stabilizationJi Hye Paik
Center for Vascular Biology, Department of Cell Biology, University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, Connecticut 06030 3501, USA
Genes Dev 18:2392-403. 2004..S1P-induced trafficking and activation of N-cadherin provides a novel mechanism for the stabilization of nascent blood vessels by mural cells and may be exploited to control angiogenesis and vascular diseases...
- An obligatory role of mind bomb-1 in notch signaling of mammalian developmentBon Kyoung Koo
Division of Molecular and Life Sciences, Pohang University of Science and Technology, Pohang, Kyungbuk, South Korea
PLoS ONE 2:e1221. 2007..However, the respective roles of the mammalian E3 ubiquitin ligases, Neur1, Neur2, Mib1, and Mib2, in mammalian development are poorly understood...
- Netrin-4 induces lymphangiogenesis in vivoFrederic Larrieu-Lahargue
Program in Molecular Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Blood 115:5418-26. 2010..Together, these data provide evidence that Netrin-4 is a lymphangiogenic factor contributing to tumor dissemination and represents a potential target to inhibit metastasis formation...
- Endothelial alpha5 and alphav integrins cooperate in remodeling of the vasculature during developmentArjan van der Flier
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Development 137:2439-49. 2010..These integrins on other cells, and/or other integrins on endothelial cells, might contribute to fibronectin assembly and vascular development...
- Three-dimensional cartography of hematopoietic clusters in the vasculature of whole mouse embryosTomomasa Yokomizo
Erasmus MC Stem Cell Institute, Department of Cell Biology, Erasmus Medical Center, 3000 CA, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Development 137:3651-61. 2010..Clusters enriched with the c-Kit(+)CD31(+)SSEA1(-) cell population contain functional hematopoietic progenitors and stem cells...
- Beta1 integrin establishes endothelial cell polarity and arteriolar lumen formation via a Par3-dependent mechanismAnn C Zovein
Department of Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Dev Cell 18:39-51. 2010..Combined, our findings demonstrate that beta1 integrin functions upstream of Par3 as part of a molecular cascade required for endothelial cell polarity and lumen formation...
- T1alpha/podoplanin deficiency disrupts normal lymphatic vasculature formation and causes lymphedemaVivien Schacht
Cutaneous Biology Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
EMBO J 22:3546-56. 2003..These data identify T1alpha/podoplanin as a novel critical player that regulates different key aspects of lymphatic vasculature formation...
- Fgf9 induces proliferation and nuclear localization of FGFR2 in Sertoli precursors during male sex determinationJennifer Schmahl
Department of Cell Biology, Duke University, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Development 131:3627-36. 2004..The nuclear localization of FGFR2 coincides with the initiation of Sry expression and the nuclear localization of SOX9 during the early differentiation of Sertoli cells and the determination of male fate...
- Loss of PECAM-1 function impairs alveolarizationHorace M DeLisser
Pulmonary, Allergy and Critical Care Division, Department of Medicine, Institute for Medicine and Engineering, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104 4318, USA
J Biol Chem 281:8724-31. 2006..We therefore targeted the function of platelet endothelial cell adhesion molecule, (PECAM-1), an EC surface molecule that promotes EC migration and has been implicated in in ..
- Tie2Cre-mediated inactivation of plexinD1 results in congenital heart, vascular and skeletal defectsYing Zhang
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Cardiovascular Institute, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Dev Biol 325:82-93. 2009..These results demonstrate an important role for PlexinD1 in embryonic and adult vasculature...
- Role of vascular endothelial-cadherin in vascular morphogenesisS Gory-Fauré
Laboratoire de Transgenèse et Différenciation Cellulaire, Atelier de Transgenèse, and Atelier de Microscopie Electronique, Departement de Biologie Moleculaire et Structurale, INSERM IFR27, CEA Grenoble, rue des Martyrs, France
Development 126:2093-102. 1999..These data indicate that VE-cadherin is dispensable for endothelial homophilic adhesion but is required for vascular morphogenesis...
- MAPKs (ERK1/2, p38) and AKT can be phosphorylated by shear stress independently of platelet endothelial cell adhesion molecule-1 (CD31) in vascular endothelial cellsBauer E Sumpio
Department of Surgery Vascular, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, USA
J Biol Chem 280:11185-91. 2005b>PECAM-1 (CD31) is a member of the Ig superfamily of cell adhesion molecules and is expressed on endothelial cells (EC) as several circulating blood elements including platelets, polymorphonuclear leukocytes, monocytes, and lymphocytes...
- PECAM-1 engagement counteracts ICAM-1-induced signaling in brain vascular endothelial cellsJean Pierre Couty
Institut Cochin, Universite Paris Descartes, CNRS UMR 8104, Paris, France
J Neurochem 103:793-801. 2007..In the present study, we show that, whereas PECAM-1 is known to control positively the trans-endothelial migration of leukocytes via homophilic interactions between ..
- Separating genetic and hemodynamic defects in neuropilin 1 knockout embryosElizabeth A V Jones
Inserm U833, F 75005, Paris, France
Development 135:2479-88. 2008..This method allows genetic defects caused by loss-of-function of a gene important for cardiovascular development to be isolated even in the presence of hemodynamic defects...
- Role of kinase-independent and -dependent functions of FAK in endothelial cell survival and barrier function during embryonic developmentXiaofeng Zhao
Division of Molecular Medicine and Genetics, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
J Cell Biol 189:955-65. 2010..Together, our data suggest that kinase-independent functions of FAK can support EC survival in vascular development through E13.5 but are insufficient for maintaining EC function to allow for completion of embryogenesis...
- TTF-1 phosphorylation is required for peripheral lung morphogenesis, perinatal survival, and tissue-specific gene expressionMario DeFelice
Stazione Zoologica A Dohrn, Villa Comunale, 80121 Naples, Italy
J Biol Chem 278:35574-83. 2003..Direct and indirect transcriptional targets of TTF-1 were identified that are likely to play important roles in lung formation and function...
- Primitive erythropoiesis from mesodermal precursors expressing VE-cadherin, PECAM-1, Tie2, endoglin, and CD34 in the mouse embryoMasatsugu Ema
Department of Anatomy and Embryology, Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, Graduate School of Comprehensive Human Sciences, University of Tsukuba, 1 1 1 Tennodai, Tsukuba 305 8575, Japan
Blood 108:4018-24. 2006Vascular endothelial (VE) cadherin, PECAM-1 (platelet endothelial cell adhesion molecule-1, CD31), Tie2, CD34, and endoglin are established markers for adult and embryonic endothelial cells (ECs)...
- Notch alters VEGF responsiveness in human and murine endothelial cells by direct regulation of VEGFR-3 expressionCarrie J Shawber
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Clin Invest 117:3369-82. 2007..These results demonstrate that Notch1 and VEGFR-3 interact genetically, that Notch directly induces VEGFR-3 in blood endothelial cells to regulate vascular development, and that Notch may function in tumor lymphangiogenesis...
- Notch1 activation in mice causes arteriovenous malformations phenocopied by ephrinB2 and EphB4 mutantsLuke T Krebs
The Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, Maine
Genesis 48:146-50. 2010..genesis 48:146-150, 2010. (c) 2010 Wiley-Liss, Inc...
- TIE1 and TIE2 receptor tyrosine kinases inversely regulate embryonic angiogenesis by the mechanism of intussusceptive microvascular growthS Patan
Department of Radiation Oncology, Beth Israel Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, 02114, USA
Microvasc Res 56:1-21. 1998..Angiopoietin-1, a ligand that activates the TIE2 receptor, is expressed in mesenchymal cells surrounding the endothelium. This local relationship is indicative of a paracrine regulation...
- Desert Hedgehog/Patched 1 signaling specifies fetal Leydig cell fate in testis organogenesisHumphrey Hung Chang Yao
Department of Cell Biology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Genes Dev 16:1433-40. 2002....
- Follistatin operates downstream of Wnt4 in mammalian ovary organogenesisHumphrey H C Yao
Department of Cell Biology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, USA
Dev Dyn 230:210-5. 2004..Thus, we propose that WNT4 acts through FST to regulate vascular boundaries and maintain germ cell survival in the ovary...
- Sry induces cell proliferation in the mouse gonadJ Schmahl
The Department of Cell Biology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Development 127:65-73. 2000..Therefore, an increase in cell proliferation in the male coelomic epithelium is the earliest identified effect of Sry expression...
- Cell-autonomous requirement for beta1 integrin in endothelial cell adhesion, migration and survival during angiogenesis in miceTimothy R Carlson
Pacific Vascular Research Laboratory, Division of Vascular Surgery, Department of Surgery and Department of Anatomy, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Development 135:2193-202. 2008..Our findings demonstrate that beta1 integrin is essential for EC adhesion, migration and survival during angiogenesis, and further validate that therapies targeting beta1 integrins may effectively impair neovascularization...
- The Maestro (Mro) gene is dispensable for normal sexual development and fertility in miceLee Smith
Mammalian Genetics Unit, MRC Harwell, Oxfordshire, UK
PLoS ONE 3:e4091. 2008....
- The Gli2 transcriptional activator is a crucial effector for Ihh signaling in osteoblast development and cartilage vascularizationKyu Sang Joeng
Department of Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Development 136:4177-85. 2009..These results therefore provide direct genetic evidence that Gli2 and Gli3 collectively mediate all major aspects of Ihh function during endochondral skeletal development...
- Vascular endothelial cell lineage-specific promoter in transgenic miceT M Schlaeger
Roche Institute of Molecular Biology, Roche Research Center, Nutley, New Jersey 07110 1199, USA
Development 121:1089-98. 1995..able to differentiate in vitro to form cystic embryoid bodies (CEB) that contain endothelial cells determined by PECAM immunohistochemistry...
- Endothelial-specific ablation of serum response factor causes hemorrhaging, yolk sac vascular failure, and embryonic lethalityMary L Holtz
Department of Biochemistry, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
BMC Dev Biol 8:65. 2008..Resulting embryos were harvested at specific ages for observation of physical condition and analysis of genotype...
- Cardiovascular and hematopoietic defects associated with Notch1 activation in embryonic Tie2-expressing populationsDeepak A Venkatesh
Center for Molecular Medicine, Maine Medical Center Research Institute, Scarborough, ME 04074, USA
Circ Res 103:423-31. 2008..Cardiovascular lineages are sensitive to an imbalance in Notch signaling, with aberrant activation reflecting a vascular phenotype comparable to a loss-of-function Notch1 mutation...
- Dosage-sensitive requirement for mouse Dll4 in artery developmentAntonio Duarte
CIISA, Faculdade de Medicina Veterinaria, 1300 0 477 Lisboa, Portugal
Genes Dev 18:2474-8. 2004..This implicates Dll4 as the specific mammalian endothelial ligand for autocrine endothelial Notch signaling, and suggests that Dll4 may be a suitable target for intervention in arterial angiogenesis...
- Critical roles for collagenase-3 (Mmp13) in development of growth plate cartilage and in endochondral ossificationMasaki Inada
Center for Immunology and Inflammatory Diseases, Department of Medicine, Harvard Medical School and Massachusetts General Hospital, Building 149, 13th Street, Room 8301, Boston, MA 02129, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:17192-7. 2004..Cartilaginous growth plate abnormalities persisted in adult mice and phenocopied defects observed in human hereditary chondrodysplasias. Our findings demonstrate a unique role of Mmp13 in skeletal development...
- Expression and function of matrix metalloproteinases and their inhibitors at the maternal-embryonic boundary during mouse embryo implantationC M Alexander
Laboratory of Radiobiology, Department of Biopharmaceutical Sciences, University of California, San Francisco, 94143, USA
Development 122:1723-36. 1996..We conclude that administration of MMP inhibitors retards decidual remodeling and growth, and we suggest that the MMPs expressed in precursor stromal cells promote their differentiation and expansion...
- Platelet-endothelial cell adhesion molecule-1 (PECAM-1/CD31) tyrosine phosphorylation state changes during vasculogenesis in the murine conceptusE Pinter
Department of Pathology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520 8023, USA
Am J Pathol 150:1523-30. 1997..this report we demonstrate differential tyrosine phosphorylation of platelet-endothelial cell adhesion molecule-1 (PECAM-1) during the formation of blood islands and vessels from clusters of extraembryonic and embryonic angioblasts in ..
- Genetic evidence for functional redundancy of Platelet/Endothelial cell adhesion molecule-1 (PECAM-1): CD31-deficient mice reveal PECAM-1-dependent and PECAM-1-independent functionsG S Duncan
Amgen Institute, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Immunol 162:3022-30. 1999Platelet/endothelial cell adhesion molecule-1 (PECAM-1; CD31), a member of the Ig superfamily, is expressed strongly at endothelial cell-cell junctions, on platelets, and on most leukocytes...
- Vasculogenesis in the day 6.5 to 9.5 mouse embryoC J Drake
Medical University of South Carolina, Department of Cell Biology and the Cardiovascular Developmental Biology Center, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Blood 95:1671-9. 2000..endothelial or hematopoietic lineage-associated proteins, TAL1, Flk1, platelet/endothelial cell adhesion molecule (PECAM), CD34, VE-cadherin, and Tie2...
- Essential role for p38alpha mitogen-activated protein kinase in placental angiogenesisJ S Mudgett
Merck Research Laboratories, Rahway, NJ 07065, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:10454-9. 2000..Thus, our results indicate a requirement for p38alpha MAPK in diploid trophoblast development and placental vascularization and suggest a more general role for p38 MAPK signaling in embryonic angiogenesis...
- Tissue specific regulation of VEGF expression during bone development requires Cbfa1/Runx2E Zelzer
Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Mech Dev 106:97-106. 2001..The results demonstrate that Cbfa1 is a necessary component of a tissue specific genetic program that regulates VEGF during endochondral bone formation...
- Hedgehog is required for murine yolk sac angiogenesisNoah Byrd
Department of Biology, Wesleyan University, CT 06459, USA
Development 129:361-72. 2002..Embryoid bodies derived from these cell lines are unable to form blood islands, and express reduced levels of both PECAM1, an endothelial cell marker, and alpha-SMA, a vascular smooth muscle marker...
- Altered vascular permeability and early onset of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis in PECAM-1-deficient miceDonnasue Graesser
Department of Pathology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
J Clin Invest 109:383-92. 2002Platelet/endothelial cell adhesion molecule-1 (PECAM-1, CD31), a 130-kDa glycoprotein member of the Ig superfamily of transmembrane proteins, is expressed on endothelial cells, platelets, and subsets of leukocytes...
- Skeletal defects in VEGF(120/120) mice reveal multiple roles for VEGF in skeletogenesisElazar Zelzer
Harvard Medical School, Department of Cell Biology, 240 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA, USA
Development 129:1893-904. 2002..We also describe new in vivo evidence for a possible role of VEGF in chondrocyte maturation, and document that VEGF has a direct role in regulating osteoblastic activity based on in vivo evidence and organ culture experiments...
- Erk5 null mice display multiple extraembryonic vascular and embryonic cardiovascular defectsChristopher P Regan
Vertex Pharmaceuticals, Department of Biology, 130 Waverly Street, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:9248-53. 2002..Together, these data define an essential role for Erk5 in cardiovascular development. Moreover, the inability of Erk5-deficient mice to form a complex vasculature suggests that Erk5 may play an important role in controlling angiogenesis...
- Lack of platelet endothelial cell adhesion molecule-1 attenuates foreign body inflammation because of decreased angiogenesisAnna Solowiej
Department of Pathology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, USA
Am J Pathol 162:953-62. 2003b>Platelet endothelial cell adhesion molecule-1 (PECAM-1, CD31) is a 130-kd member of the immunoglobulin superfamily of proteins, expressed on endothelial cells, leukocytes, and platelets...
- PDZ interaction site in ephrinB2 is required for the remodeling of lymphatic vasculatureTaija Makinen
Department of Molecular Neurobiology, Max Planck Institute of Neurobiology, 82152 Munich Martinsried, Germany
Genes Dev 19:397-410. 2005..Our studies define ephrinB2 as an essential regulator of lymphatic development and indicate that interactions with PDZ domain effectors are required to mediate its functions...
- The inhibitory co-receptor, PECAM-1 provides a protective effect in suppression of collagen-induced arthritisMae Xhum Wong
Austin Research Institute, Austin Hospital, Heidelberg, Victoria, Australia
J Clin Immunol 25:19-28. 2005Studies of PECAM-1(-/-) mice have identified that PECAM-1 functions as an inhibitory co-receptor to modulate immunological responsiveness...
- Functionally specialized junctions between endothelial cells of lymphatic vesselsPeter Baluk
Cardiovascular Research Institute, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
J Exp Med 204:2349-62. 2007..Our findings suggest that fluid enters throughout initial lymphatics via openings between buttons, which open and close without disrupting junctional integrity, but most leukocytes enter the proximal half of initial lymphatics...
- FGF9 and SHH regulate mesenchymal Vegfa expression and development of the pulmonary capillary networkAndrew C White
Department of Molecular Biology and Pharmacology, Washington University School of Medicine, 660 S Euclid Avenue, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Development 134:3743-52. 2007..These data suggest a molecular mechanism through which FGF9 and SHH signaling coordinately control the growth and patterning of the lung capillary plexus, and regulate the temporal and spatial expression of Vegfa...
- Comparative analysis of anti-mouse SRY antibodiesS T Bradford
Division of Molecular Genetics and Development, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Sex Dev 1:305-10. 2007..Our findings underline the need to distinguish between useful and spurious reagents for biochemical and immunolocalization studies involving mouse SRY protein...
- Pofut1 is required for the proper localization of the Notch receptor during mouse developmentYoshiaki Okamura
Department of Genetics, SOKENDAI, 1111 Yata, Mishima, Shizuoka 411 8540, Japan
Mech Dev 125:663-73. 2008..We propose that altered trafficking pathways may account for the abnormal accumulation of the Notch1 receptor in the endoplasmic reticulum in Pofut1-null mouse embryos...
- Platelet endothelial cell adhesion molecule-1 (PECAM-1/CD31): alternatively spliced, functionally distinct isoforms expressed during mammalian cardiovascular developmentH S Baldwin
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, PA 19104
Development 120:2539-53. 1994..b>Platelet endothelial cell adhesion molecule-1 (PECAM-1, CD31) may well serve such a function...
- Molecular cloning and expression of murine vascular endothelial-cadherin in early stage development of cardiovascular systemG Breier
Max Planck Institut fur Physiologische und Klinische Forschung, Bad Nauheim, Germany
Blood 87:630-41. 1996..This distinguishes this molecule from other cadherins and suggests that its expression is associated with the early assembly of vascular structures...
- Regulation of mouse PECAM-1 tyrosine phosphorylation by the Src and Csk families of protein-tyrosine kinasesM Y Cao
McGill Cancer Centre, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec H3G 1Y6, Canada
J Biol Chem 273:15765-72. 1998b>PECAM-1 is an adhesion molecule expressed on hemopoietic and endothelial cells. Recently, it was observed that PECAM-1 becomes tyrosine-phosphorylated in response to a variety of physiological stimuli...
- Cardiovascular failure in mouse embryos deficient in VEGF receptor-3D J Dumont
Ontario Cancer Institute and Amgen Institute, Department of Medical Biophysics, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 2C1
Science 282:946-9. 1998..5. Thus, VEGFR-3 has an essential role in the development of the embryonic cardiovascular system before the emergence of the lymphatic vessels...
- Embryonic lethality and vascular defects in mice lacking the Notch ligand Jagged1Y Xue
The Jackson Laboratory, 600 Main Street, Bar Harbor, ME 04609 1500, USA
Hum Mol Genet 8:723-30. 1999..These results establish the phenotype of Cm /+ mice as a contiguous gene deletion syndrome and demonstrate that Jag1 is essential for remodeling of the embryonic vasculature...
- Targeted deficiency or cytosolic truncation of the VE-cadherin gene in mice impairs VEGF-mediated endothelial survival and angiogenesisP Carmeliet
Center for Transgene Technology and Gene Therapy, Flanders Interuniversity Institute for Biotechnology, Leuven, Belgium
Cell 98:147-57. 1999..Thus, VE-cadherin/ beta-catenin signaling controls endothelial survival...
- Endothelial claudin: claudin-5/TMVCF constitutes tight junction strands in endothelial cellsK Morita
Department of Cell Biology, Faculty of Medicine, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606 8501, Japan
J Cell Biol 147:185-94. 1999..e., the extracellular face-associated TJs. These findings indicated that claudin-5/TMVCF is an endothelial cell-specific component of TJ strands...
- A requirement for neuropilin-1 in embryonic vessel formationT Kawasaki
Group of Developmental Neurobiology, Division of Biological Science, Nagoya University Graduate School of Science, Chikusa ku, Nagoya 464 8602, Japan
Development 126:4895-902. 1999..The vascular defects induced by neuropilin-1 deficiency in mouse embryos suggest that neuropilin-1 plays roles in embryonic vessel formation, as well as nerve fiber guidance...
- The expression of Jagged1 in the developing mammalian heart correlates with cardiovascular disease in Alagille syndromeK M Loomes
Division of Human Genetics, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia 19104, USA
Hum Mol Genet 8:2443-9. 1999..These data are consistent with an important role for JAG1 and Notch signaling in early mammalian cardiac development...
- Essential role of p38alpha MAP kinase in placental but not embryonic cardiovascular developmentR H Adams
European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Heidelberg, Germany
Mol Cell 6:109-16. 2000..Our results indicate that p38alpha is required for placental organogenesis but is not essential for other aspects of mammalian embryonic development...
- Gap Junction Mediated Signaling and Vascular ResponsesAlexander M Simon; Fiscal Year: 2010..Finally, these studies could also lead to new approaches to control vasculogenesis and angiogenesis in other clinically important settings, such as anti-angiogenesis treatments designed to fight cancer. ..
- Zeiss Dynamic Laser TIRFRichard Minshall; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- DEVELOPMENTAL TYPE II PNEUMOCYTE PROTEIN PHOSPHORYLATIONDavid Warburton; Fiscal Year: 2010..Inosine may function as a low molecular weight therapeutic to ameliorate lung injury, protect lung progenitor cells and hence to promote recovery of the alveolar epithelium from acute injury in both adult and neonate. ..
- Role of KLF2 in erythropoiesis and globin expressionJoyce A Lloyd; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our long-term goal is to use KLF2 in strategies to increase embryonic/fetal beta-globin, to treat patients with beta-hemoglobinopathies. ..
- Caveolin-1 and NO Regulate PMN-mediated Increases in Vascular PermeabilityRichard D Minshall; Fiscal Year: 2011....
- ID2 IN CELL CYCLE REGULATION AND CANCERAntonio Iavarone; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposed work will define the mechanisms underlying regulation of Id2 and enhance our understanding of the involvement of uncontrolled Id2 activity in human cancer. ..
- Negative regulation of platelet activityDEBRA KAY NEWMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..We and others have previously demonstrated that Platelet Endothelial Cell Adhesion Molecule-1 (PECAM-1, also called CD31) and the SFK, Lyn, are negative regulators of platelet activation...
- Human Se Nutritional Requirement and Biomarkers in Health and DiseaseRaymond F Burk; Fiscal Year: 2010..All these studies are aimed at facilitating efforts to determine the health effects of selenium deficiency and to guide supplementation of the element when that is needed. ..
- AUTOCRINE/PARACRINE GROWTH FACTORS & LUNG MORPHOGENESISDavid Warburton; Fiscal Year: 2009..Aim 4: To determine the role of tyrosine phosphorylation in protein-protein interaction and supra-molecular assembly of mSPRY2 with SHP2 and FRS2. Aim 5: To determine the functional importance of Shp2 in lung morphogenesis in vivo. ..
- Phenotypic screen in mouse embryonic for TGF-beta signaling mutationsJAY VIVIAN; Fiscal Year: 2007..Cell-based mutation screening strategies as developed in this proposal can be applied to any active biochemical pathway in mouse ES cells, to generate mouse lines for analysis in vivo. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Mechanisms By Which Endothelium Cells Sense Changes in HemodynamicsBauer Sumpio; Fiscal Year: 2007..4. Assess egr-1 and sp1 binding in MT1-MMP and PDGF-B promoters under mechanical stress 5.Assess the functional relevance of egr-1 in a low flow carotid model using an egr-1 knock-out mouse. ..
- Lung epithelial and vascular morphogenesisDavid Warburton; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Somatic support cell function in gonad developmentGERRIT BOUMA; Fiscal Year: 2006..The proposed experiments will identify genes expressed in gonadal SSCs that play a role in gonadal XY sex reversal. ..
- Excess TGF beta in neonatal lung injury and repairDavid Warburton; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- HAND GENES IN CARDIAC DEVELOPMENTWilliam Pu; Fiscal Year: 2004..This experience, and the information generated in this plan, will launch the applicant's career as an independent investigator. ..
- REGULATION OF HUMAN GAMMA AND BETA GLOBIN GENESJoyce Lloyd; Fiscal Year: 2003..These results will predict the proteins involved in early beta-globin gene suppression. ..
- NUTRITIONAL AND METABOLIC SIGNIFICANCE OF SELENIUMRaymond Burk; Fiscal Year: 2003..These and other studies are proposed to evaluate the role of Se-P in protecting endothelial cells (and other cells) against oxidant substances in the extracellular space. ..
- PECAM AND CALCIUM SIGNALING AND TRANSMIGRATIONSteven Albelda; Fiscal Year: 2002DESCRIPTION (Adapted from Investigator's Abstract): Platelet-endothelial cell adhesion molecule-1 (PECAM-1) is a member of the immunoglobulin superfamily that is expressed at high levels on endothelial intercellular junctions and ..
- CYTOKINE REGULATION OF EARLY EVENTS IN BLOOD VESSEL FORMChristopher Drake; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Transcriptional Control of Early Coronary Vascular DevelopmentRAVINDRA P MISRA; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- The Role of PECAM in Models of Lung InjurySteven Albelda; Fiscal Year: 2005Platelet-Endothelial Cell Adhesion Molecule-1 (PECAM-1, CD31) is an adhesion and signaling molecule that is expressed on endothelial cells (EC), leukocytes, and platelets...
- THE ROLE OF SRF IN CARDIAC FUNCTION AND DEVELOPMENTRAVINDRA MISRA; Fiscal Year: 2005..These studies will both elucidate the mechanisms by which SRF functions in heart and will establish powerful new methodologies for studying heart formation and function. ..
- FN FAK SIGNALING AXIS AND TUMORIGENESISDusko Ilic; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Epithelial Cell Structure in Vertebrate DevelopmentJeffrey D Hildebrand; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will continue to use in vivo studies in mice and in vitro studies in cell culture to understand the molecular mechanisms underlying human birth defects. ..
- Modifiers of a Mouse Model of Alagille SyndromeThomas Gridley; Fiscal Year: 2008..These studies will enable us to create more representative mouse models of Alagille syndrome, and should provide insight into the variable phenotypic expression observed in Alagille syndrome patients. [unreadable] [unreadable]..