Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Prdm16
Description: PR domain containing 16
Alias: 5730557K01Rik, csp1, mel1, PR domain zinc finger protein 16, MDS1/EVI1-like gene 1, PR domain-containing protein 16, line 27, transcription factor MEL1
- Prdm proto-oncogene transcription factor family expression and interaction with the Notch-Hes pathway in mouse neurogenesisEmi Kinameri
Molecular Neuropathology Group, RIKEN Brain Science Institute, Wako, Saitama, Japan
PLoS ONE 3:e3859. 2008..In Drosophila we recently characterized Hamlet, a transcription factor that mediates Notch signalling and neural cell fate...
- A novel EVI1 gene family, MEL1, lacking a PR domain (MEL1S) is expressed mainly in t(1;3)(p36;q21)-positive AML and blocks G-CSF-induced myeloid differentiationIchiro Nishikata
Department of Biochemistry, Miyazaki Medical College, Kiyotake, Miyazaki, 889 1692, Japan
Blood 102:3323-32. 2003We have identified a novel gene MEL1 (MDS1/EVI1-like gene 1) encoding a zinc finger protein near the breakpoint of t(1; 3)(p36;q21)-positive human acute myeloid leukemia (AML) cells...
- Prdm3 and Prdm16 are H3K9me1 methyltransferases required for mammalian heterochromatin integrityInês Pinheiro
Department of Epigenetics, Max Planck Institute of Immunobiology and Epigenetics, Stubeweg 51, 79108 Freiburg, Germany
Cell 150:948-60. 2012..We developed a biochemical assay and used in vivo analyses in mouse embryonic fibroblasts to identify Prdm3 and Prdm16 as redundant H3K9me1-specific KMTs that direct cytoplasmic H3K9me1 methylation...
- PPARγ agonists induce a white-to-brown fat conversion through stabilization of PRDM16 proteinHaruya Ohno
UCSF Diabetes Center and Department of Cell and Tissue Biology, University of California, San Francisco, 35 Medical Center Way, San Francisco, CA 94143 0669, USA
Cell Metab 15:395-404. 2012..These effects require expression of PRDM16, a factor that controls the development of classical brown fat...
- Initiation of myoblast to brown fat switch by a PRDM16-C/EBP-beta transcriptional complexShingo Kajimura
Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, 44 Binney Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Nature 460:1154-8. 2009..b>PRDM16 (PR domain containing 16) is a 140 kDa zinc finger protein that robustly induces brown fat determination and ..
- A functional screen to identify novel effectors of hematopoietic stem cell activityEric Deneault
Molecular Genetics of Stem Cells Laboratory, Institute of Research in Immunology and Cancer IRIC, University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec H3C 3J7, Canada
Cell 137:369-79. 2009..The utilization of this screening method together with the creation of a database enriched for potential determinants of hematopoietic stem cell self-renewal will serve as a resource to uncover regulatory networks in these cells...
- PRDM16 controls a brown fat/skeletal muscle switchPatrick Seale
Dana Farber Cancer Institute and the Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, 1 Jimmy Fund Way, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Nature 454:961-7. 2008..We also demonstrate that the transcriptional regulator PRDM16 (PRD1-BF1-RIZ1 homologous domain containing 16) controls a bidirectional cell fate switch between skeletal ..
- Regulation of the brown and white fat gene programs through a PRDM16/CtBP transcriptional complexShingo Kajimura
Dana Farber Cancer Institute and the Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Genes Dev 22:1397-409. 2008..b>PRDM16 is a zinc-finger protein that controls brown fat determination by stimulating brown fat-selective gene expression, ..
- Efficient generation and mapping of recessive developmental mutations using ENU mutagenesisBruce J Herron
Genetics Division, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Nat Genet 30:185-9. 2002..Using a hierarchical approach, it is possible to maximize the efficiency of this analysis so that it can be carried out easily with modest infrastructure and resources...
- Insertional mutagenesis identifies genes that promote the immortalization of primary bone marrow progenitor cellsYang Du
Mouse Cancer Genetics Program, National Cancer Institute, Center for Cancer Research, Frederick, MD 21702, USA
Blood 106:3932-9. 2005..More than half of the lines have MSCV insertions at Evi1 or Prdm16. These loci encode transcription factor homologs and are validated human myeloid leukemia genes...
- Transcriptional control of brown fat determination by PRDM16Patrick Seale
Dana Farber Cancer Institute and the Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, 1 Jimmy Fund Way, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Cell Metab 6:38-54. 2007..We show here that the zinc-finger protein PRDM16 is highly enriched in brown fat cells compared to white fat cells...
- Overexpression of sPRDM16 coupled with loss of p53 induces myeloid leukemias in miceDanielle C Shing
Department of Experimental Oncology, European Institute of Oncology, Milan, Italy
J Clin Invest 117:3696-707. 2007..We report here aberrant expression of PR domain containing 16 (PRDM16) in AML cells with either translocations of 1p36 or normal karyotype...
- Prdm16 is required for normal palatogenesis in miceBryan C Bjork
Genetics Division, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, New Research Building, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Hum Mol Genet 19:774-89. 2010..N-ethyl-N-nitrosourea-induced mouse model of non-syndromic cleft palate (NSCP) that is caused by an intronic Prdm16 splicing mutation...
- Downregulation of Prdm16 mRNA is a specific antileukemic mechanism during HOXB4-mediated HSC expansion in vivoHui Yu
Experimental Hematology Division, Department of Hematology, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN Integrated Program in Biomedical Sciences, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, TN
Blood 124:1737-47. 2014..b>Prdm16, a transcription factor associated with human acute myeloid leukemia, was markedly repressed by HOXB4 but ..
- PDGFRα controls the balance of stromal and adipogenic cells during adipose tissue organogenesisChengyi Sun
Cardiovascular Biology Program, Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation, Oklahoma City, OK 73104, USA
Development 144:83-94. 2017..Our data highlight the importance of balancing stromal versus adipogenic cell expansion during white adipose tissue development, with PDGFRα activity coordinating this crucial process in the embryo...
- Fine mapping of the 1p36 deletion syndrome identifies mutation of PRDM16 as a cause of cardiomyopathyAnne Karin Arndt
Department of Congenital Heart Disease and Pediatric Cardiology, University Hospital of Schleswig Holstein, Campus Kiel, 24105 Kiel, Germany
Am J Hum Genet 93:67-77. 2013..associated with 1p36del syndrome that included only the terminal 14 exons of the transcription factor PRDM16 (PR domain containing 16), a gene that had previously been shown to direct brown fat determination and ..
- A multifunctional protein, EWS, is essential for early brown fat lineage determinationJun Hong Park
Genetics of Development and Disease Branch, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, 9000 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Dev Cell 26:393-404. 2013..Remarkably, Ews null BATs and brown preadipocytes ectopically express myogenic genes. These results demonstrate that EWS is essential for early brown fat lineage determination. ..
- EHMT1 controls brown adipose cell fate and thermogenesis through the PRDM16 complexHaruya Ohno
1 UCSF Diabetes Center, Department of Cell and Tissue Biology, University of California, San Francisco, 35 Medical Center Way, San Francisco, California 94143 0669, USA 2
Nature 504:163-7. 2013..indicates that brown adipocytes arise from Myf5(+) dermotomal precursors through the action of PR domain containing protein 16 (PRDM16) transcriptional complex...
- Ablation of PRDM16 and beige adipose causes metabolic dysfunction and a subcutaneous to visceral fat switchPaul Cohen
Dana Farber Cancer Institute and Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA Cardiovascular Division, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Cell 156:304-16. 2014..Here, we show that adipocyte-specific deletion of the coregulatory protein PRDM16 caused minimal effects on classical brown fat but markedly inhibited beige adipocyte function in subcutaneous fat ..
- Tumour-derived PTH-related protein triggers adipose tissue browning and cancer cachexiaSerkan Kir
Department of Cancer Biology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Nature 513:100-4. 2014..Thus, neutralization of PTHrP might hold promise for ameliorating cancer cachexia and improving patient survival. ..
- Gcn5 and PCAF regulate PPARγ and Prdm16 expression to facilitate brown adipogenesisQiHuang Jin
Department of Molecular Carcinogenesis, Center for Cancer Epigenetics, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Smithville, Texas, USA Laboratory of Endocrinology and Receptor Biology, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Mol Cell Biol 34:3746-53. 2014..However, neither PPARγ ectopic expression nor prolonged IBMX treatment rescued defects in Prdm16 expression in DKO cells, indicating that Gcn5/PCAF are essential for normal Prdm16 expression...
- Cdkn1c Boosts the Development of Brown Adipose Tissue in a Murine Model of Silver Russell SyndromeMatthew Van De Pette
School of Biosciences, Cardiff University, Cardiff, United Kingdom
PLoS Genet 12:e1005916. 2016..Cdkn1c is required for post-transcriptional accumulation of the brown fat determinant PR domain containing 16 (PRDM16) and that CDKN1C and PRDM16 co-localise to the nucleus of rare label-retaining cell within iBAT...
- An integrated cell purification and genomics strategy reveals multiple regulators of pancreas developmentCecil M Benitez
Department of Developmental Biology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California, United States of America
PLoS Genet 10:e1004645. 2014..of a subset of candidate regulators with corresponding mutant mice revealed that the transcription factors Etv1, Prdm16, Runx1t1 and Bcl11a are essential for pancreas development...
- PRDM16 binds MED1 and controls chromatin architecture to determine a brown fat transcriptional programMatthew J Harms
Institute for Diabetes, Obesity, and Metabolism, Department of Cell and Developmental Biology
Genes Dev 29:298-307. 2015PR (PRD1-BF1-RIZ1 homologous) domain-containing 16 (PRDM16) drives a brown fat differentiation program, but the mechanisms by which PRDM16 activates brown fat-selective genes have been unclear...
- PRDM16 enhances nuclear receptor-dependent transcription of the brown fat-specific Ucp1 gene through interactions with Mediator subunit MED1Satoshi Iida
Laboratory of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, The Rockefeller University, New York, New York 10065, USA
Genes Dev 29:308-21. 2015PR domain-containing 16 (PRDM16) induces expression of brown fat-specific genes in brown and beige adipocytes, although the underlying transcription-related mechanisms remain largely unknown...
- Cell-autonomous activation of Hedgehog signaling inhibits brown adipose tissue developmentLaGina Nosavanh
United States Department of Agriculture Agricultural Research Service Children s Nutrition Research Center, Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030 and
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 112:5069-74. 2015..Taken together, our studies uncover a previously unidentified role for Hh as an inhibitor of BAT development. ..
- Role of PRDM16 and its PR domain in the epigenetic regulation of myogenic and adipogenic genes during transdifferentiation of C2C12 cellsXiao Li
Key Laboratory of Animal Physiology and Biochemistry, Nanjing Agricultural University, Nanjing 210095, PR China College of Animal Science and Technology, Northwest A and F University, Shaanxi, Yangling 712100, PR China Electronic address
Gene 570:191-8. 2015The positive regulatory domain containing 16 (PRDM16) is commonly regarded as a "switch" controlling the transdifferentiation of myoblasts to brown adipocytes...
- Mitofusin 2 maintains haematopoietic stem cells with extensive lymphoid potentialLarry L Luchsinger
Columbia Center for Translational Immunology, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, New York 10032, USA
Nature 529:528-31. 2016..Here we show in mice that the short isoform of a critical regulator of HSCs, Prdm16 (refs 4, 5), induces mitofusin 2 (Mfn2), a protein involved in mitochondrial fusion and in tethering of ..
- Berardinelli-Seip Congenital Lipodystrophy 2/Seipin Is Not Required for Brown Adipogenesis but Regulates Brown Adipose Tissue Development and FunctionHongyi Zhou
Department of Physiology, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta University, Augusta, Georgia, USA
Mol Cell Biol 36:2027-38. 2016....
- Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor α (PPARα) induces PPARγ coactivator 1α (PGC-1α) gene expression and contributes to thermogenic activation of brown fat: involvement of PRDM16Elayne Hondares
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and Institute of Biomedicine, University of Barcelona, and CIBER Fisiopatologia de la Obesidad y Nutricion, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
J Biol Chem 286:43112-22. 2011..Moreover, PPARα- and cAMP-mediated pathways interacted to control PGC-1α transcription. PRDM16 (PRD1-BF1-RIZ1 homologous domain-containing 16) promoted PPARα induction of PGC-1α gene transcription, ..
- Identification of non-cell-autonomous networks from engineered feeder cells that enhance murine hematopoietic stem cell activityEric Deneault
Molecular Genetics of Stem Cells Laboratory, Institute of Research in Immunology and Cancer, University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Exp Hematol 41:470-478.e4. 2013..Five of these factors, namely FOS, SPI1, KLF10, TFEC, and PRDM16, show robust transcriptional cross-regulation and are often associated with osteoclastogenesis...
- Adipose subtype-selective recruitment of TLE3 or Prdm16 by PPARγ specifies lipid storage versus thermogenic gene programsClaudio J Villanueva
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Cell Metab 17:423-35. 2013..Here we show that TLE3 is a white-selective cofactor that acts reciprocally with the brown-selective cofactor Prdm16 to specify lipid storage and thermogenic gene programs...
- Double Myod and Igf2 inactivation promotes brown adipose tissue development by increasing Prdm16 expressionMaud Borensztein
Genetics and Development Department, Institut National de Santé et de Recherche Médicale INSERM U567, Centre National de Recherche Scientifique CNRS Unité Mixte de Recherche 8104, University of Paris Descartes, Institut Cochin, Paris, France
FASEB J 26:4584-91. 2012..More strikingly, expression of the master key gene Prdm16 involved in the switch between myogenic and brown adipogenic lineages was drastically enhanced...
- Gene expression changes in the secondary palate and mandible of Prdm16(-/-) miceDennis R Warner
Birth Defects Center, University of Louisville, 501 South Preston Street, Suite 350, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
Cell Tissue Res 351:445-52. 2013Loss of Prdm16 expression in the mouse leads to a complete cleft of the secondary palate...
- MicroRNA-133 controls brown adipose determination in skeletal muscle satellite cells by targeting Prdm16Hang Yin
Regenerative Medicine Program, Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, Ottawa, ON K1H 8L6, Canada
Cell Metab 17:210-24. 2013..that microRNA-133 regulates the choice between myogenic and brown adipose determination by targeting the 3'UTR of Prdm16. Antagonism of microRNA-133 during muscle regeneration increases uncoupled respiration, glucose uptake, and ..
- Imprinted gene dosage is critical for the transition to independent lifeMarika Charalambous
Department of Physiology, Development and Neuroscience, University of Cambridge, Downing Street, Cambridge CB2 3EG, UK
Cell Metab 15:209-21. 2012..This shows that appropriate dosage control at imprinted loci can act as a critical determinant in postnatal survival during phases of physiological adaptation...
- MyomiR-133 regulates brown fat differentiation through Prdm16Mirko Trajkovski
Institute of Molecular Health Sciences, ETH Zurich, Schafmattstrasse 22, HPL H36, 8093 Zurich, Switzerland
Nat Cell Biol 14:1330-5. 2012..A key regulator of BAT is the gene encoding PR domain containing 16 (Prdm16), whose expression can drive differentiation of myogenic and white fat precursors to brown adipocytes...
- Quantitative trait mapping reveals a regulatory axis involving peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors, PRDM16, transforming growth factor-β2 and FLT3 in hematopoiesisSerine Avagyan
Children s Hospital of New York Presbyterian, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY, USA
Blood 118:6078-86. 2011..A coding polymorphism in Prdm16 (PR-domain-containing 16) underlies Tb2r1 and differentially regulates transcriptional activity of peroxisome ..
- Chromatin immunoprecipitation-promoter microarray identification of genes regulated by PRDM16 in murine embryonic palate mesenchymal cellsDennis R Warner
Department of Molecular, Cellular, and Craniofacial Biology, University of Louisville Birth Defects Center, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40292, USA
Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 237:387-94. 2012The transcription factor PRDM16 regulates differentiation of brown adipocyte tissue in mice...
- Leukemia induction after a single retroviral vector insertion in Evi1 or Prdm16U Modlich
Department of Experimental Hematology, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Leukemia 22:1519-28. 2008..of six distinct clones harboring gamma-retroviral long terminal repeat (LTR) or SIN vector insertions in Evi1 or Prdm16, two functionally related genes...
- PRDM16: the interconvertible adipo-myocyte switchGema Fruhbeck
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolic Research Laboratory, Clinica Universitaria, University of Navarra, Pamplona, Spain
Trends Cell Biol 19:141-6. 2009..recent study shows that overexpression of the transcriptional regulator positive regulatory domain containing 16 (PRDM16) determines the development of brown adipocytes from a progenitor that expresses myoblast markers...
- PRDM16/MEL1: a novel Smad binding protein expressed in murine embryonic orofacial tissueDennis R Warner
Department of Molecular, Cellular, and Craniofacial Biology, University of Louisville Birth Defects Center, 501 South Preston Street, Suite 301, Louisville, KY 40292, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1773:814-20. 2007..The PR-domain containing protein, PRDM16/MEL1 was identified as a novel Smad binding protein...
- PRDM16 expression in the developing mouse embryoKristin H Horn
University of Louisville Birth Defects Center, Department of Molecular, Cellular and Craniofacial Biology, School of Dentistry, 501 South Preston Street, Louisville, KY 40292, USA
Acta Histochem 113:150-5. 2011b>PRDM16 is a member of the PR domain-containing protein family and is associated with various disease states including myelodysplastic syndrome and adult T-cell leukemia, as well as developmental abnormalities such as cleft palate...
- Absence of thyroid hormone activation during development underlies a permanent defect in adaptive thermogenesisJessica A Hall
Biological and Biomedical Sciences Program, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Endocrinology 151:4573-82. 2010..This discovery highlights the importance of deiodinase-controlled thyroid hormone signaling in BAT development, where it has important metabolic repercussions for energy homeostasis in adulthood...
- Rb regulates fate choice and lineage commitment in vivoEliezer Calo
David H Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research at MIT, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Nature 466:1110-4. 2010..Here we use mouse models to address this hypothesis in mesenchymal tissue development and tumorigenesis. Our data show that Rb status plays a key role in establishing fate choice between bone and brown adipose tissue in vivo...
- Prdm16 promotes stem cell maintenance in multiple tissues, partly by regulating oxidative stressSergei Chuikov
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan, 210 Washtenaw Avenue, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2216, USA
Nat Cell Biol 12:999-1006. 2010..b>Prdm16 is a transcription factor that regulates leukaemogenesis, palatogenesis and brown-fat development, but which was ..
- Prdm16 determines the thermogenic program of subcutaneous white adipose tissue in micePatrick Seale
Institute for Diabetes, Obesity, and Metabolism and Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
J Clin Invest 121:96-105. 2011..Here, we found that Prdm16, a brown adipose determination factor, is selectively expressed in subcutaneous white adipocytes relative to other ..
- Prdm16 is a physiologic regulator of hematopoietic stem cellsFrancesca Aguilo
Department of Gene and Cell Medicine and Black Family Stem Cell Institute, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
Blood 117:5057-66. 2011..b>PRDM16 is involved in human leukemic translocations and is expressed highly in some karyotypically normal acute ..
- Analysis of the dynamics of limb transcriptomes during mouse developmentIstván Gyurján
School of Life Sciences, Ecole Polytechnique Federale, Station 19, Lausanne, 1215 Switzerland
BMC Dev Biol 11:47. 2011..In addition, limbs are amongst the first targets of malformations in human and they display a huge realm of evolutionary variations within tetrapods, which make them a paradigm to study the regulatory genome...
- Lineage-specific biology revealed by a finished genome assembly of the mouseDeanna M Church
National Center for Biotechnology Information, Bethesda, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS Biol 7:e1000112. 2009..The finished mouse genome assembly, therefore, greatly improves our understanding of rodent-specific biology and allows the delineation of ancestral biological functions that are shared with human from derived functions that are not...