Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Ptch1
Description: patched 1
Alias: A230106A15Rik, Ptc, Ptc1, Ptch, mes, protein patched homolog 1, Ptch1 protein +12b, mesenchymal dysplasia, patched homolog 1
Publications218 found, 100 shown here
- Sonic hedgehog regulates growth and morphogenesis of the toothH R Dassule
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, The Biolabs, Divinity Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Development 127:4775-85. 2000..These studies demonstrate that Shh regulates growth and determines the shape of the tooth. However, Shh signaling is not essential for differentiation of ameloblasts or odontoblasts...
- Control of neuronal precursor proliferation in the cerebellum by Sonic HedgehogR J Wechsler-Reya
Department of Developmental Biology, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Stanford University School of Medicine, California 94305, USA
Neuron 22:103-14. 1999..Blocking Shh function in vivo dramatically reduces GCP proliferation. These findings provide insight into the mechanisms of normal growth and tumorigenesis in the cerebellum...
- Evidence for an expansion-based temporal Shh gradient in specifying vertebrate digit identitiesBrian D Harfe
Department of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology, University of Florida College of Medicine, 1600 SW Archer Road, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Cell 118:517-28. 2004..Genetic studies of the effects of limiting accessibility of Shh within the limb support this model, in which the effect of the Shh morphogen is dictated by a temporal as well as a spatial gradient...
- THM1 negatively modulates mouse sonic hedgehog signal transduction and affects retrograde intraflagellar transport in ciliaPamela V Tran
Genetics Division, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, New Research Building, 77 Avenue Louis Pasteur, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Nat Genet 40:403-10. 2008..Specifically, the aln mutation uncouples the roles of anterograde and retrograde transport in SHH signaling, suggesting that anterograde IFT is required for GLI activation and that retrograde IFT modulates this event...
- Indian hedgehog signaling regulates proliferation and differentiation of chondrocytes and is essential for bone formationB St-Jacques
Harvard University, Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
Genes Dev 13:2072-86. 1999..Together, the results suggest a model in which Ihh coordinates diverse aspects of skeletal morphogenesis through PTHrP-dependent and independent processes...
- The graded response to Sonic Hedgehog depends on cilia architectureTamara Caspary
Developmental Biology Program, Sloan Kettering Institute, 1275 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
Dev Cell 12:767-78. 2007..Thus, normal structure of the ciliary axoneme is required for the cell to translate different levels of Shh ligand into differential regulation of the Gli transcription factors that implement Hedgehog signals...
- Intraflagellar transport is essential for endochondral bone formationCourtney J Haycraft
Department of Cell Biology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294 0005, USA
Development 134:307-16. 2007..Overall these data provide evidence that IFT is essential for normal formation of the appendicular skeleton through disruption of multiple signaling pathways...
- The mammalian Cos2 homolog Kif7 plays an essential role in modulating Hh signal transduction during developmentSetsu Endoh-Yamagami
Department of Molecular Biology, Genentech, Inc, 1 DNA Way, South San Francisco, CA 94080, USA
Curr Biol 19:1320-6. 2009..These results suggest a role for Kif7 in coordinating Hh signal transduction at the tip of cilia and preventing Gli3 cleavage into a repressor form in the presence of Hh...
- Altered neural cell fates and medulloblastoma in mouse patched mutantsL V Goodrich
Department of Developmental Biology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305 5427, USA
Science 277:1109-13. 1997The PATCHED (PTC) gene encodes a Sonic hedgehog (Shh) receptor and a tumor suppressor protein that is defective in basal cell nevus syndrome (BCNS). Functions of PTC were investigated by inactivating the mouse gene...
- Ftm is a novel basal body protein of cilia involved in Shh signallingJeanette Vierkotten
Institut für Entwicklungs und Molekularbiologie der Tiere EMT, Heinrich Heine Universitat, 40225 Dusseldorf, Germany
Development 134:2569-77. 2007..Furthermore, the absence of Ftm in arthropods underlines the divergence between vertebrate and Drosophila Hh pathways...
- Gli2 is required for induction of floor plate and adjacent cells, but not most ventral neurons in the mouse central nervous systemM P Matise
Developmental Genetics Program and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, and Department of Cell Biology and Physiology and Neuroscience, NYU Medical Center, New York, NY 10016, USA
Development 125:2759-70. 1998....
- Cholesterol modification of sonic hedgehog is required for long-range signaling activity and effective modulation of signaling by Ptc1P M Lewis
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, The Biolabs, Harvard University, 16 Divinity Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Cell 105:599-612. 2001..Thus, cholesterol modification is essential for the normal range of signaling. It also appears to be necessary for appropriate modulation of signaling by the Shh receptor, Ptc1.
- Sonic hedgehog signaling regulates reciprocal epithelial-mesenchymal interactions controlling palatal outgrowthYu Lan
Center for Oral Biology and Department of Biomedical Genetics, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Development 136:1387-96. 2009....
- Diminished Sonic hedgehog signaling and lack of floor plate differentiation in Gli2 mutant miceQ Ding
Program in Developmental Biology and Division of Endocrinology, Research Institute, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario M5G 1X8, Canada
Development 125:2533-43. 1998..We report that the expression of known Shh-responsive genes such as Ptc and Gli1 is downregulated in mutant mice lacking Gli2 function...
- Hedgehog signals regulate multiple aspects of gastrointestinal developmentM Ramalho-Santos
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Harvard University, Divinity Avenue, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
Development 127:2763-72. 2000..These results show that Hedgehog signals are essential for organogenesis of the mammalian gastrointestinal tract and suggest that mutations in members of this signaling pathway may be involved in human gastrointestinal malformations...
- Hedgehog signaling is required for pituitary gland developmentM Treier
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, School and Department of Medicine, UCSD, CMMW, Room 345, La Jolla, CA 92093 0648, USA
Development 128:377-86. 2001..Thus, SHH appears to exert effects on both proliferation and cell-type determination in pituitary gland development...
- Medulloblastoma growth inhibition by hedgehog pathway blockadeDavid M Berman
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Science 297:1559-61. 2002....
- Zic2-associated holoprosencephaly is caused by a transient defect in the organizer region during gastrulationNicholas Warr
Early Development, Mammalian Genetics Unit, MRC Harwell, Oxfordshire OX11 0RD, UK
Hum Mol Genet 17:2986-96. 2008..The analysis provides genetic evidence that Zic2 functions during organizer formation and that the PCP develops via a multi-step process...
- GLI3 repressor controls nephron number via regulation of Wnt11 and Ret in ureteric tip cellsJason E Cain
Program in Developmental and Stem Cell Biology, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto Medical Discovery Towers, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
PLoS ONE 4:e7313. 2009..During renal morphogenesis, HH signaling activity, assayed by expression of Ptc1-lacZ, is localized to ureteric cells of the medulla, but is undetectable in the cortex...
- Disruption of Mks1 localization to the mother centriole causes cilia defects and developmental malformations in Meckel-Gruber syndromeCheng Cui
University of Pittsburgh, Department of Developmental Biology, 8111 Rangos Research Center, 530 45th Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15201, USA
Dis Model Mech 4:43-56. 2011..On the basis of these results, we hypothesize a role for the B9 domain in mother centriole targeting, a possibility that warrants further future investigations...
- Indian hedgehog positively regulates calvarial ossification and modulates bone morphogenetic protein signalingKelly Lenton
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Surgery, School of Medicine, Stanford University, Stanford, California 94028, USA
Genesis 49:784-96. 2011..In conjunction with the newly recognized roles of Hedgehog deregulation in craniosynostosis, our study defines Ihh as an important positive regulator of cranial bone ossification...
- The inductive role of Wnt-β-Catenin signaling in the formation of oral apparatusCongxing Lin
Division of Dermatology, Department of Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, 660 S Euclid Avenue, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Dev Biol 356:40-50. 2011..We provide genetic evidence that disruption of either signaling pathway results in severe microglossia. Altogether, we demonstrate a dynamic role for Wnt-β-Catenin signaling in the development of the oral apparatus...
- Mutations in Traf3ip1 reveal defects in ciliogenesis, embryonic development, and altered cell size regulationNicolas F Berbari
Department of Cell Biology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Dev Biol 360:66-76. 2011....
- Cilia and Hedgehog responsiveness in the mouseDanwei Huangfu
Developmental Biology Program, Sloan Kettering Institute, 1275 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:11325-30. 2005....
- Intracardiac septation requires hedgehog-dependent cellular contributions from outside the heartMatthew M Goddeeris
Department of Cell Biology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
Development 135:1887-95. 2008..Failure of this addition results in severe AVSD. These studies demonstrate that AVSD can result from a primary defect in dorsal mesocardium, providing a new paradigm for the understanding of human AVSD...
- Recurrent genomic alterations characterize medulloblastoma arising from DNA double-strand break repair deficiencyPierre Olivier Frappart
Department of Genetics and Tumor Cell Biology, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN 38105, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:1880-5. 2009..showed recurring chromosome 13 alterations via chromosomal loss or translocations involving regions containing Ptch1. Sequence analysis of the remaining Ptch1 allele showed a variety of inactivating mutations in all tumors analyzed,..
- The tumour-suppressor gene patched encodes a candidate receptor for Sonic hedgehogD M Stone
Department of Neuroscience, Genentech, Inc, South San Francisco, California 94080, USA
Nature 384:129-34. 1996..We show that Ptc can form a physical complex with a newly cloned vertebrate homologue of the Drosophila protein Smoothened (vSmo), ..
- Defective ciliogenesis, embryonic lethality and severe impairment of the Sonic Hedgehog pathway caused by inactivation of the mouse complex A intraflagellar transport gene Ift122/Wdr10, partially overlapping with the DNA repair gene Med1/Mbd4Salvatore Cortellino
Human Genetics Program, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA 19111, USA
Dev Biol 325:225-37. 2009..We conclude that complex A and complex B factors play similar but distinct roles in ciliogenesis and Shh/Gli3 signaling...
- Constitutive activation of smoothened (SMO) in mammary glands of transgenic mice leads to increased proliferation, altered differentiation and ductal dysplasiaRicardo C Moraes
Baylor Breast Center and Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Room N1210 MS BCM600, Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Development 134:1231-42. 2007..We demonstrated previously that heterozygous disruption of the gene encoding the patched-1 (PTCH1) hedgehog receptor, a negative regulator of smoothened (Smo) in the absence of ligand, led to mammary ductal ..
- beta-Catenin controls hair follicle morphogenesis and stem cell differentiation in the skinJ Huelsken
Max Delbrueck Center for Molecular Medicine, Robert Roessle Strasse 10, 13092, Berlin, Germany
Cell 105:533-45. 2001..Further analysis demonstrates that beta-catenin is essential for fate decisions of skin stem cells: in the absence of beta-catenin, stem cells fail to differentiate into follicular keratinocytes, but instead adopt an epidermal fate...
- Loss of the Tg737 protein results in skeletal patterning defectsQihong Zhang
The University of Alabama at Birmingham, Department of Cell Biology, Birmingham, Alabama 35294, USA
Dev Dyn 227:78-90. 2003..Collectively, the data argue for a dosage effect of Tg737 on the limb phenotypes and that the polydactyly is independent of Shh misexpression...
- Combined activities of hedgehog signaling inhibitors regulate pancreas developmentHiroshi Kawahira
Diabetes Center, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Development 130:4871-9. 2003..We have analyzed the function of two hedgehog inhibitors, Hhip and patched 1 (Ptch), during pancreas formation...
- Loss of suppressor-of-fused function promotes tumorigenesisY Lee
Department of Genetics and Tumor Cell Biology, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN 38405, USA
Oncogene 26:6442-7. 2007..resulted in early embryonic lethality in the mouse similar to inactivation of another SHH regulator, Patched1 (Ptch1). In contrast to Ptch1+/- mice, Sufu+/- mice were not tumor prone...
- Mutations of the human homolog of Drosophila patched in the nevoid basal cell carcinoma syndromeH Hahn
Centre for Molecular and Cell Biology, University of Queensland, St Lucia, Australia
Cell 85:841-51. 1996..A human sequence (PTC) with strong homology to the Drosophila segment polarity gene, patched, was isolated from a YAC and cosmid contig ..
- Indian hedgehog activates hematopoiesis and vasculogenesis and can respecify prospective neurectodermal cell fate in the mouse embryoM A Dyer
Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Development 128:1717-30. 2001..To our knowledge, these are the earliest functions for a hedgehog protein in post-implantation development in the mouse embryo...
- Sonic hedgehog is required for cardiac outflow tract and neural crest cell developmentI Washington Smoak
North Carolina State University, Raleigh, 27695, USA
Dev Biol 283:357-72. 2005..Our data suggest that SHH signaling does not act directly on NCCs as a survival factor, but rather acts to restrict the domains that NCCs can populate during early stages (e8.5-10.5) of cardiovascular and craniofacial development...
- Antitumor effects of a combined 5-aza-2'deoxycytidine and valproic acid treatment on rhabdomyosarcoma and medulloblastoma in Ptch mutant miceInes Ecke
Institute of Human Genetics, University of Goettingen, Gottingen, Germany
Cancer Res 69:887-95. 2009Patched (Ptch) heterozygous mice develop medulloblastoma (MB) and rhabdomyosarcoma (RMS) resembling the corresponding human tumors...
- N-myc alters the fate of preneoplastic cells in a mouse model of medulloblastomaJessica D Kessler
Department of Pharmacology and Cancer Biology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Genes Dev 23:157-70. 2009..We identified a preneoplastic stage in the patched (ptc) mutant mouse, a model for the brain tumor medulloblastoma...
- Foxa1 and Foxa2 positively and negatively regulate Shh signalling to specify ventral midbrain progenitor identityYannis E Mavromatakis
Division of Developmental Neurobiology, MRC National Institute for Medical Research, The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, London NW7 1AA, UK
Mech Dev 128:90-103. 2011..Altogether, these data indicate that Foxa1 and Foxa2 contribute to the specification of ventral midbrain progenitor identity by regulating Shh signalling in a positive and negative manner...
- Involvement of Sonic hedgehog (Shh) in mouse embryonic lung growth and morphogenesisS Bellusci
Department of Cell Biology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 2175, USA
Development 124:53-63. 1997..Here, we report that transcripts of mouse patched (Ptc), the homologue of a Drosophila gene encoding a putative transmembrane protein required for hedgehog signaling, are ..
- Patched1 interacts with cyclin B1 to regulate cell cycle progressionE A Barnes
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Center for Molecular Genetics, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0367, USA
EMBO J 20:2214-23. 2001..a bait protein to mimic phosphorylated cyclin B1, we identified a novel interaction between cyclin B1 and patched1 (ptc1), a tumor suppressor associated with basal cell carcinoma (BCC)...
- Gli3 acts as a repressor downstream of Ihh in regulating two distinct steps of chondrocyte differentiationLydia Koziel
Max Planck Institute for Molecular Genetics, Berlin, Germany
Development 132:5249-60. 2005..Furthermore the expression of the Ihh target genes patched (Ptch) and PTHrP is reactivated in Ihh-/-;Gli3-/- mutants...
- Identification of a unique transgenic mouse line that develops megabladder, obstructive uropathy, and renal dysfunctionSunita Singh
Columbus Children s Research Institute, 700 Children s Drive, Suite WA 2014, Columbus, OH 43205, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 18:461-71. 2007..The mgb mouse represents an excellent model for the study of normal and pathogenic bladder development, including the postnatal progression of chronic renal failure that results from the development of in utero obstructive uropathy...
- Independent requirements for Hedgehog signaling by both the anterior heart field and neural crest cells for outflow tract developmentMatthew M Goddeeris
Departments of Cell Biology and Pediatrics, Neonatal Perinatal Research Institute, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Development 134:1593-604. 2007..Disruption of any of these steps can result in a single OFT phenotype...
- A primary cilia-dependent etiology for midline facial disordersSamantha A Brugmann
Department of Surgery, Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Hum Mol Genet 19:1577-92. 2010..excessive Hedgehog responsiveness in facial mesenchyme, which is accompanied by broader expression domains of Gli1, Ptc and Shh, and reduced expression domains of Gli3...
- Hedgehog pathway-regulated gene networks in cerebellum development and tumorigenesisEunice Y Lee
Department of Developmental Biology, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Stanford, CA, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:9736-41. 2010..The results indicate that transformation of normal GNPs into deadly tumor cells is accompanied by a distinct set of Gli-regulated genes and may provide candidates for targeted therapies...
- Pleiotropic role for MYCN in medulloblastomaFredrik J Swartling
University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94158, USA
Genes Dev 24:1059-72. 2010..Targeted expression of MYCN thus contributes to initiation, progression, and maintenance of MB, suggesting a central role for MYCN in pathogenesis...
- Role of epidermal primary cilia in the homeostasis of skin and hair folliclesMandy J Croyle
Department of Cell Biology, University of Alabama at Birmingham Medical School, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Development 138:1675-85. 2011..Collectively, these data indicate that epidermal primary cilia may function in stress responses and epidermal homeostasis involving pathways other than those typically associated with primary cilia...
- Hydroxysteroid (17beta) dehydrogenase 7 activity is essential for fetal de novo cholesterol synthesis and for neuroectodermal survival and cardiovascular differentiation in early mouse embryosHeli Jokela
Department of Physiology, Institute of Biomedicine, University of Turku, Kiinamyllynkatu 10, FIN 20520 Turku, Finland
Endocrinology 151:1884-92. 2010..The septum of the atrium was also defected in the knockout mice...
- Insulin-like growth factor 2 is required for progression to advanced medulloblastoma in patched1 heterozygous miceRyan B Corcoran
Department of Developmental Biology, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Cancer Res 68:8788-95. 2008..Mutations in the Shh receptor gene patched1 (ptc1+/-) lead to increased MB incidence in humans and mice...
- Mouse Shh is required for prechordal plate maintenance during brain and craniofacial morphogenesisKazushi Aoto
Molecular Neuropathology Group, Brain Science Institute, RIKEN, 2 1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351 0198, Japan
Dev Biol 327:106-20. 2009..These findings provide new insight into the mechanism underlying HPE pathoetiology during dynamic brain and craniofacial morphogenesis...
- Sonic hedgehog signalling inhibits palatogenesis and arrests tooth development in a mouse model of the nevoid basal cell carcinoma syndromeMartyn T Cobourne
Department of Craniofacial Development and Orthodontics, Dental Institute, King s College London, Floor 27, Guy s Hospital, London SE1 9RT, UK
Dev Biol 331:38-49. 2009..Causative mutations for NBCCS occur in the PTCH1 gene on chromosome 9q22.3-q31, which encodes the principle receptor for the Hedgehog signalling pathway...
- Rhabdomyosarcomas and radiation hypersensitivity in a mouse model of Gorlin syndromeH Hahn
Section on Genetics, National Institute of Mental Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Nat Med 4:619-22. 1998..The syndrome results from germline mutations of the human homolog of the drosophila segment polarity gene patched (ptc)...
- Desert Hedgehog/Patched 1 signaling specifies fetal Leydig cell fate in testis organogenesisHumphrey Hung Chang Yao
Department of Cell Biology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Genes Dev 16:1433-40. 2002..Based on the sex-specific expression patterns of Desert Hedgehog (Dhh) and its receptor Patched 1 (Ptch1) in XY gonads, we investigated the potential role of DHH/PTCH1 signaling in the origin and specification of fetal ..
- Promotion of Hras-induced squamous carcinomas by a polymorphic variant of the Patched gene in FVB miceYuichi Wakabayashi
Cancer Research Institute, University of California at San Francisco, 2340 Sutter Street, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Nature 445:761-5. 2007..Here we show that susceptibility to SCC is under the control of a carboxy-terminal polymorphism in the mouse Ptch gene...
- Multipotent CD15+ cancer stem cells in patched-1-deficient mouse medulloblastomaRyan J Ward
Developmental and Stem Cell Biology, Hospital for Sick Children, ON, Canada M5G 1X8
Cancer Res 69:4682-90. 2009....
- The Gli2 transcriptional activator is a crucial effector for Ihh signaling in osteoblast development and cartilage vascularizationKyu Sang Joeng
Department of Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Development 136:4177-85. 2009..These results therefore provide direct genetic evidence that Gli2 and Gli3 collectively mediate all major aspects of Ihh function during endochondral skeletal development...
- Patched haploinsufficient mouse rhabdomyosarcoma overexpress secreted phosphoprotein 1 and matrix metalloproteinasesMassimiliano De Bortoli
Texas Children s Cancer Center, Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, 6621 Fannin Street, MC 3 3320 Houston, TX 77030, USA
Eur J Cancer 43:1308-17. 2007..Patched haploinsufficient (Ptch+/-) mice spontaneously develop soft tissue sarcomas that resemble human rhabdomyosarcomas...
- Reduced white fat mass in adult mice bearing a truncated Patched 1Zili Li
Birth Defects Center, Department of Molecular, Cellular, Craniofacial Biology, University of Louisville Health Sciences Center, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
Int J Biol Sci 4:29-36. 2008..total white fat mass and epididymal adipocyte cell size were observed in naturally occurring spontaneous mesenchymal dysplasia (mes) adult mice (Ptc1(mes/mes)), which carry a deletion of Ptc1 at the carboxyl-terminal cytoplasmic ..
- A self-regulatory system of interlinked signaling feedback loops controls mouse limb patterningJean Denis Bénazet
Developmental Genetics, Department of Biomedicine, University of Basel, Mattenstrasse 28, CH 4058 Basel, Switzerland
Science 323:1050-3. 2009..This self-regulatory signaling network results in robust regulation of distal limb development that is able to compensate for variations by interconnectivity among the three signaling pathways...
- Ptch1 is required locally for mammary gland morphogenesis and systemically for ductal elongationRicardo C Moraes
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Development 136:1423-32. 2009..Using phenotypic and transplantation analyses of mice carrying the mesenchymal dysplasia (mes) allele of patched 1 (Ptch1(mes)), we found that Ptch1(mes) homozygosity led to either complete ..
- Expression of Patched-1 and Smoothened in testicular meiotic and post-meiotic cellsCarlos R Morales
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Microsc Res Tech 72:809-15. 2009..Little is known about the involvement in spermatogenesis of the prototypic member of the family, Ptc1, which acts to suppress hedgehog signaling through Smoothened (Smo)...
- Extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1 (ERK1) and ERK2 play essential roles in osteoblast differentiation and in supporting osteoclastogenesisTakehiko Matsushita
Department of Orthopaedics, Case Western Reserve University, 2109 Adelbert Road, BRB 329, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Mol Cell Biol 29:5843-57. 2009..Thus, our results indicate that ERK1 and ERK2 not only play essential roles in the lineage specification of osteo-chondroprogenitor cells but also support osteoclast formation in vivo...
- Patched 1 is a crucial determinant of asymmetry and digit number in the vertebrate limbNatalie C Butterfield
The University of Queensland, Institute for Molecular Bioscience, Queensland, Australia
Development 136:3515-24. 2009The vertebrate hedgehog receptor patched 1 (Ptc1) is crucial for negative regulation of the sonic hedgehog (Shh) pathway during anterior-posterior patterning of the limb...
- A role for Sonic hedgehog in axon-to-astrocyte signalling in the rodent optic nerveV A Wallace
Medical Research Council Developmental Neurobiology Programme, MRC Laboratory for Molecular Cell Biology and the Biology Department, University College London, London WC1E 6BT, UK
Development 126:2901-9. 1999..2) Astrocytes and their precursors in the developing optic nerve express the Hedgehog (Hh) receptor gene Patched (Ptc), suggesting that they are being signalled by an Hh protein...
- Ext1-dependent heparan sulfate regulates the range of Ihh signaling during endochondral ossificationLydia Koziel
Otto Warburg Laboratory, Max Planck Institute for Molecular Genetics, Ihnestrasse 73, 14195 Berlin, Germany
Dev Cell 6:801-13. 2004..Finally, we propose that the development of exostoses in the human Hereditary Multiple Exostoses syndrome can be attributed to activation of Ihh signaling...
- Critical roles for collagenase-3 (Mmp13) in development of growth plate cartilage and in endochondral ossificationMasaki Inada
Center for Immunology and Inflammatory Diseases, Department of Medicine, Harvard Medical School and Massachusetts General Hospital, Building 149, 13th Street, Room 8301, Boston, MA 02129, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:17192-7. 2004..Cartilaginous growth plate abnormalities persisted in adult mice and phenocopied defects observed in human hereditary chondrodysplasias. Our findings demonstrate a unique role of Mmp13 in skeletal development...
- Cdo functions at multiple points in the Sonic Hedgehog pathway, and Cdo-deficient mice accurately model human holoprosencephalyWei Zhang
Brookdale Department of Molecular, Cell, and Developmental Biology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029, USA
Dev Cell 10:657-65. 2006..Specific Cdo domains required for its promyogenic effect are dispensable for its Shh signaling role, suggesting that Cdo has multiple, independent functions...
- Expression of Sonic hedgehog and its putative role as a precursor cell mitogen in the developing mouse retinaA M Jensen
MRC Developmental Neurobiology Programme, University College London, UK
Development 124:363-71. 1997..These findings suggest that hedgehog and patched are part of a conserved signalling pathway in retinal development in mammals and insects...
- Evidence for genetic control of Sonic hedgehog by Gli3 in mouse limb developmentD Buscher
Institut fur Molekularbiologie, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Germany
Mech Dev 62:175-82. 1997..The transcript of Ptc, the putative receptor for Shh protein, can be detected anteriorly as well...
- Evidence for the involvement of the Gli gene family in embryonic mouse lung developmentJ C Grindley
Department of Cell Biology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee, 37232 2175, USA
Dev Biol 188:337-48. 1997..stage, coincident with a decline in the expression of sonic hedgehog (Shh) and the hedgehog receptor gene, patched (Ptc). Overexpression of Shh in the lung results in increased levels of Ptc mRNA...
- Sonic hedgehog is not required for polarising activity in the Doublefoot mutant mouse limb budC Hayes
Department of Human Anatomy, University of Oxford, UK
Development 125:351-7. 1998..is sufficient to fulfil the signalling properties of Shh including upregulation of the direct Shh target genes Ptc and Gli, and induction of the downstream target genes Bmp2, Fgf4 and Hoxd13...
- Evidence that preaxial polydactyly in the Doublefoot mutant is due to ectopic Indian Hedgehog signalingY Yang
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, The Biolabs, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Development 125:3123-32. 1998..In addition, specific components in the Hedgehog pathway are either ectopically activated (Ptc, Ptc-2, Gli1) or repressed (Gli2)...
- Essential function of Gli2 and Gli3 in the formation of lung, trachea and oesophagusJ Motoyama
Programs in Developmental Biology, Research Institute, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Nat Genet 20:54-7. 1998..These results indicate that Gli2 and Gli3 possess specific and overlapping functions in Shh signalling during foregut development, and suggest that mutations in GLI genes may be involved in human foregut malformations...
- Vertebrate Hedgehog signalling modulated by induction of a Hedgehog-binding proteinP T Chuang
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, The Biolabs, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
Nature 397:617-21. 1999..Signalling is activated by binding of Hedgehog protein to the multipass membrane protein Patched (Ptc)...
- Sonic hedgehog regulates proliferation and inhibits differentiation of CNS precursor cellsD H Rowitch
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
J Neurosci 19:8954-65. 1999..Thus, Hedgehog signaling may contribute to CNS tumorigenesis by directly enhancing proliferation and preventing neural differentiation in selected precursor cells...
- Defects in mouse mammary gland development caused by conditional haploinsufficiency of Patched-1M T Lewis
Department of Biology, Sinsheimer Laboratories, University of California, Santa Cruz, CA 95064, USA
Development 126:5181-93. 1999..We have investigated the role of the Patched-1 (Ptc1) hedgehog receptor gene in mammary development and neoplasia...
- Manifestation of the limb prepattern: limb development in the absence of sonic hedgehog functionC Chiang
Department of Cell Biology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, 1161 21st Avenue South, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
Dev Biol 236:421-35. 2001..According to this model, the limb bud signaling centers, including the zone of polarizing activity (ZPA) acting through Shh, are required to elaborate upon the axial information provided by the native limb field prepattern...
- The transcription factors L-Sox5 and Sox6 are essential for cartilage formationP Smits
Department of Molecular Genetics, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston 77030, USA
Dev Cell 1:277-90. 2001..L-Sox5 and Sox6 are thus redundant, potent enhancers of chondroblast functions, thereby essential for endochondral skeleton formation...
- Coordination of chondrogenesis and osteogenesis by fibroblast growth factor 18Zhonghao Liu
Department of Molecular Biology and Pharmacology, Washington University Medical School, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Genes Dev 16:859-69. 2002..These data demonstrate that FGF18 signals through another FGFR to regulate osteoblast growth. Signaling to multiple FGFRs positions FGF18 to coordinate chondrogenesis in the growth plate with osteogenesis in cortical and trabecular bone...
- Sonic hedgehog and the molecular regulation of mouse neural tube closurePatricia Ybot-Gonzalez
Neural Development Unit, Institute of Child Health, University College London, London WC1N 1EH, UK
Development 129:2507-17. 2002..Attachment of surface ectoderm cells to the neural plate is required for dorsolateral bending, which ensures neural tube closure in the absence of sonic hedgehog signaling...
- Development of normal retinal organization depends on Sonic hedgehog signaling from ganglion cellsYa Ping Wang
Molecular Medicine Program, Ottawa Health Research Institute, 501 Smyth Road, Ottawa, Ontario K1H 8L6, Canada
Nat Neurosci 5:831-2. 2002..Here we show that Sonic hedgehog signaling from RGCs is required for the normal laminar organization in the vertebrate retina...
- Gli2, but not Gli1, is required for initial Shh signaling and ectopic activation of the Shh pathwayC Brian Bai
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Developmental Genetics Program, Skirball Institute of Biomolecular Medicine, New York University School of Medicine, 540 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016, USA
Development 129:4753-61. 2002..to the defects seen when the Shh pathway is inappropriately activated and Gli1 transcription is induced, Gli1;Ptc double mutants were generated...
- Retinal ganglion cell-derived sonic hedgehog signaling is required for optic disc and stalk neuroepithelial cell developmentGabriel D Dakubo
Molecular Medicine Program, Ottawa Health Research Institute, 501 Smyth Road, Ottawa, ON K1H 8L6, Canada
Development 130:2967-80. 2003..Together, these data provide a novel insight into the source of Hh that promotes neuroepithelial cell development in the mammalian optic disc and stalk...
- Differential requirement for Gli2 and Gli3 in ventral neural cell fate specificationJun Motoyama
Molecular Neuropathology Group, Brain Research Institute, RIKEN, 2 1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351 0198, Japan
Dev Biol 259:150-61. 2003..Mutants lacking Patched1 (Ptc1), the putative receptor of Shh, were used to analyze Gli functions...
- Abnormalities of the vitreoretinal interface caused by dysregulated Hedgehog signaling during retinal developmentGraeme C M Black
Academic Unit of Medical Genetics and Regional Genetic Service, St Mary s Hospital, Manchester, UK
Hum Mol Genet 12:3269-76. 2003Mutations in Patched (PTCH), encoding the Hedgehog (Hh) receptor, underlie Basal Cell Naevus syndrome (BCNS) and, in addition to tumor predisposition, are associated with a wide range of 'patterning' defects...
- Persistent progenitors at the retinal margin of ptc+/- miceAla Moshiri
Neurobiology and Behavior Program, Department of Biological Structure, University of Washington, School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
J Neurosci 24:229-37. 2004..retinal progenitor proliferation, we analyzed mice with a single functional allele of the Shh receptor patched (ptc)...
- Soluble VEGF isoforms are essential for establishing epiphyseal vascularization and regulating chondrocyte development and survivalChrista Maes
Laboratory of Experimental Medicine and Endocrinology, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
J Clin Invest 113:188-99. 2004..These findings indicate that the insoluble VEGF(188) isoform is insufficient for establishing epiphyseal vascularization and regulating cartilage development during endochondral bone formation...
- FKBP8 is a negative regulator of mouse sonic hedgehog signaling in neural tissuesOleg V Bulgakov
The Berman Gund Laboratory for the Study of Retinal Degenerations, Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Development 131:2149-59. 2004..Although it is expressed broadly, FKBP8 is required to antagonize SHH signaling primarily in neural tissues, suggesting that hedgehog signal transduction is subject to cell-type specific modulation during mammalian development...
- Hedgehog signaling in the neural crest cells regulates the patterning and growth of facial primordiaJuhee Jeong
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Genes Dev 18:937-51. 2004..Further, our analysis of Shh-Fox gene regulatory interactions leads us to propose that Fox genes mediate the action of Shh in facial development...
- Mouse intraflagellar transport proteins regulate both the activator and repressor functions of Gli transcription factorsAimin Liu
Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, Mailstop 8322, Box 6511, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Development 132:3103-11. 2005..Sonic hedgehog (Shh) expression is normal, yet Ptch1 and Gli1, two known targets of Hh signaling, are greatly reduced, consistent with loss of Shh signaling...
- Genomic characterization of Gli-activator targets in sonic hedgehog-mediated neural patterningSteven A Vokes
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Harvard University, 16 Divinity Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Development 134:1977-89. 2007..Together, these approaches provide significant new insights into both tissue-specific and general transcriptional targets in a crucial Shh-mediated patterning process...
- Gas1 is a modifier for holoprosencephaly and genetically interacts with sonic hedgehogMaisa Seppala
Department of Craniofacial Development, Dental Institute, King s College London, London, United Kingdom
J Clin Invest 117:1575-84. 2007..As human GAS1 maps to chromosome 9q21.3-q22, a region previously associated with nonsyndromic cleft palate and congenital deafness, our results establish GAS1 as a potential locus for several human craniofacial malformations...
- Antagonizing cAMP-dependent protein kinase A in the dorsal CNS activates a conserved Sonic hedgehog signaling pathwayD J Epstein
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Development 122:2885-94. 1996..Two mammalian target genes that are strongly expressed in ectopic dorsal locations in response to dnPKA are Ptc and Gli...
- Hedgehog and patched gene expression in adult ocular tissuesT Takabatake
Radioisotope Research Center, Nagoya University, Japan
FEBS Lett 410:485-9. 1997..We also found that two types of ptc genes, potential hh targets and receptors, were expressed in these tissues, suggesting the presence of active hh ..
- Sonic hedgehog signaling is essential for hair developmentB St-Jacques
Molecular and Cellular Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
Curr Biol 8:1058-68. 1998..To address the role of Shh in the hair follicle, we have examined Shh null mutant mice...
- Sonic hedgehog regulates branching morphogenesis in the mammalian lungC V Pepicelli
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
Curr Biol 8:1083-6. 1998..In addition, the transcription of several mesenchymally expressed downstream targets of Shh is abolished. These results highlight the importance of epithelially derived Shh in regulating branching morphogenesis of the lung...
- Purkinje-cell-derived Sonic hedgehog regulates granule neuron precursor cell proliferation in the developing mouse cerebellumV A Wallace
Ottawa General Hospital Research Institute, University of Ottawa Eye Institute, 501 Smyth Road, Ottawa, Ontario K1H 8L6, Canada
Curr Biol 9:445-8. 1999..express the gene encoding the morphogen Sonic hedgehog (Shh) and that dividing cells in the EGL express Patched (Ptc) and Gli1, two target genes of which expression is upregulated in response to Hedgehog signalling (see  and ..
- Ultraviolet and ionizing radiation enhance the growth of BCCs and trichoblastomas in patched heterozygous knockout miceM Aszterbaum
Department of Dermatology, University of California San Francisco, Building 100, Room 269, 1001 Potrero Ave, San Francisco, California 94110, USA
Nat Med 5:1285-91. 1999..the commonest human skin cancers, consistently have abnormalities of the hedgehog signaling pathway and often have PTCH gene mutations...
- Msx2 deficiency in mice causes pleiotropic defects in bone growth and ectodermal organ formationI Satokata
Genetics Division, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Nat Genet 24:391-5. 2000..Our results provide a developmental basis for PFM and demonstrate that Msx2 is essential at multiple sites during organogenesis...
- Some distal limb structures develop in mice lacking Sonic hedgehog signalingP Kraus
Ronald O Perelman Department of Dermatology, New York University School of Medicine, NY, New York, USA
Mech Dev 100:45-58. 2001..Finally, we show that Shh is also required for outgrowth of the limb ectoderm and thus for the formation of a distinct limb compartment...
- TG737 SIGNALING PATHWAY AND POLYCYSTIC KIDNEYBradley Yoder; Fiscal Year: 2003..Overall, results generated from this proposal will give important insight into the biological function of Tg737 and how disruption of the Tg737/polycystin-1 signaling pathway results in the formation of renal cyst. ..
- Cilial dysfunction and pathogenesis of obesityBradley K Yoder; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Conserved Mechanisms of CiliogenesisBradley Yoder; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- GENETICS OF A TRANSGENIC MOUSE MODEL FOR NEUROBLASTOMAWilliam Weiss; Fiscal Year: 2004..Given the poor outcome associated with childhood neuroblastoma, this work has the potential to increase our understanding of the pathogenesis of neuroblastoma, and may result in improved therapies for children with this disorder. ..
- Hedgehog Pathway in Urogenital Sinus DevelopmentDavid Berman; Fiscal Year: 2005..The aim of the mentored training period is to acquire the necessary intellectual and technical skills to transition into independent investigation of urogenital development and its relationships to urologic disease. ..
- Imaging Kinase Activity In VivoWilliam Weiss; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Eda/Edar Regulation of Embryonic SMG DevelopmentTina Jaskoll; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Small RNAs in skeletogenesisTatsuya Kobayashi; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Fetal Lung Development:Role of Wnt5a SignalingChanggong Li; Fiscal Year: 2008..Also, expression of Shh, Ptc, Fgfl0 and Bmp4 are all increased in Wnt5a(-/-) lungs...
- Hedgehog signaling links bladder injury and cancerDAVID MONTY BERMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..4) To test whether continuously enforced Hh signaling is sufficient to induce urothelial carcinogenesis. ..
- Roles for HIC1 in neural development and tumor suppressionDAVID NEIL WATKINS; Fiscal Year: 2010..These findings are of direct relevance to many cancers, since deregulation of pathways known to be important in embryonic development can help us understand the basis of human malignancy. ..