Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Smad7
Description: SMAD family member 7
Alias: Madh7, mothers against decapentaplegic homolog 7, MAD homolog 7, MAD homolog 8, SMAD 7, madh8, mothers against DPP homolog 7, mothers against DPP homolog 8, mothers against decapentaplegic homolog 8
Publications110 found, 100 shown here
- Smad7 promotes and enhances skeletal muscle differentiationHelen D Kollias
Department of Biology, 327 Farquharson, LSB, York University, 4700 Keele St, Toronto M3J 1P3 Ontario, Canada
Mol Cell Biol 26:6248-60. 2006..b>Smad7 inhibits these cytokine signaling pathways...
- Inhibition of Smad7, a negative regulator of TGF-beta signaling, suppresses autoimmune encephalomyelitisIngo Kleiter
Department of Neurology, University of Regensburg, Universitaetsstr 84, 93053 Regensburg, Germany
J Neuroimmunol 187:61-73. 2007We studied the role of the Transforming growth factor (TGF)-beta signaling antagonist Smad7 in autoimmune central nervous system (CNS) inflammation by using specific antisense oligonucleotides (Smad7-as)...
- Smad6 inhibits signalling by the TGF-beta superfamilyT Imamura
Department of Biochemistry, The Cancer Institute, Tokyo, Japan
Nature 389:622-6. 1997..These data indicate that signals of the TGF-beta superfamily are regulated both positively and negatively by members of the SMAD family...
- Identification of Smad7, a TGFbeta-inducible antagonist of TGF-beta signallingA Nakao
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, Uppsala, Sweden
Nature 389:631-5. 1997..Here we report the identification of Smad7, which is related to Smad6...
- Physical and functional interaction of murine and Xenopus Smad7 with bone morphogenetic protein receptors and transforming growth factor-beta receptorsS Souchelnytskyi
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, Biomedical Center, S 751 24 Uppsala, Sweden
J Biol Chem 273:25364-70. 1998..b>Smad7, for example, binds to and inhibits signaling downstream of TGF-beta receptors...
- Phosphorylation of Smad7 at Ser-249 does not interfere with its inhibitory role in transforming growth factor-beta-dependent signaling but affects Smad7-dependent transcriptional activationL Pulaski
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, Box 595, S 751 24 Uppsala, Sweden
J Biol Chem 276:14344-9. 2001..b>Smad7 was identified as a potent inhibitor of TGF-beta-dependent signaling...
- Overexpression of Smad7 results in severe pathological alterations in multiple epithelial tissuesWei He
Department of Dermatology, Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza, Houston, TX 77030, USA
EMBO J 21:2580-90. 2002Biochemical studies have shown that Smad7 blocks signal transduction of transforming growth factor beta (TGFbeta); however, its in vivo functions are largely unknown...
- Inhibition of renal fibrosis by gene transfer of inducible Smad7 using ultrasound-microbubble system in rat UUO modelHui Y Lan
Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 14:1535-48. 2003..and renal fibrosis in a rat unilateral ureteral obstruction (UUO) model by transferring a doxycycline-regulated Smad7 gene or control empty vectors using an ultrasound-microbubble (Optison)-mediated system...
- Arkadia amplifies TGF-beta superfamily signalling through degradation of Smad7Daizo Koinuma
Department of Biochemistry, the Cancer Institute of the Japanese Foundation for Cancer Research JFCR, Toshima ku, Tokyo, Japan
EMBO J 22:6458-70. 2003..Arkadia physically interacts with inhibitory Smad, Smad7, and induces its poly-ubiquitination and degradation...
- Cutting edge: TGF-beta induces a regulatory phenotype in CD4+CD25- T cells through Foxp3 induction and down-regulation of Smad7Massimo C Fantini
Laboratory of Immunology, I Medical Clinic, Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz, Mainz, Germany
J Immunol 172:5149-53. 2004..Similarly, TGF-beta induced Foxp3 in human CD4(+)CD25(-) T cells. Moreover, we show that the inhibitory Smad7 protein that is normally induced by TGF-beta and limits TGF-beta signaling, is strongly down-regulated by Foxp3 at ..
- Down-regulation of Smad7 expression by ubiquitin-dependent degradation contributes to renal fibrosis in obstructive nephropathy in miceHirotaka Fukasawa
First Department of Medicine and Department of Biochemistry 1, Hamamatsu University School of Medicine, Hamamatsu, Shizuoka 431 3192, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:8687-92. 2004..of Smad proteins have been identified: receptor-regulated Smad2 and Smad3, common partner Smad4, and inhibitory Smad7 (part of a negative-feedback loop)...
- Signaling mechanism of TGF-beta1 in prevention of renal inflammation: role of Smad7Wansheng Wang
Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza, Alkek N520, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 16:1371-83. 2005..of renal inflammation in TGF-beta1 transgenic mice was also associated with a marked upregulation of renal Smad7 and IkappaBalpha and a suppression of NF-kappaB activation in the diseased kidney (all P < 0.01)...
- Conditional expression of Smad7 in pancreatic beta cells disrupts TGF-beta signaling and induces reversible diabetes mellitusNora G Smart
Department of Developmental Biology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California, USA
PLoS Biol 4:e39. 2006..Here we describe a conditional system for expressing Smad7, a potent inhibitor of TGF-beta signaling, to identify distinct roles for this pathway in adult and embryonic beta ..
- Deletion of exon I of SMAD7 in mice results in altered B cell responsesRonggui Li
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
J Immunol 176:6777-84. 2006..b>Smad7 is induced by the TGF-beta superfamily members and negatively modulates their signaling, thus acting in a negative,..
- Smad7 promotes self-renewal of hematopoietic stem cellsUlrika Blank
Molecular Medicine and Gene Therapy, Institute of Laboratory Medicine, Lund, Sweden
Blood 108:4246-54. 2006..of hematopoietic stem cells (HSCs), we have blocked Smad signaling by retroviral gene transfer of the inhibitory Smad7 to murine HSCs...
- Arkadia induces degradation of SnoN and c-Ski to enhance transforming growth factor-beta signalingYoshiko Nagano
Department of Molecular Pathology, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
J Biol Chem 282:20492-501. 2007..Among the negative regulators, Smad7 antagonizes TGF-beta signaling mainly through targeting the signaling receptors, whereas SnoN and c-Ski repress ..
- Disruption of the Smad7 gene enhances CCI4-dependent liver damage and fibrogenesis in miceJafar Hamzavi
Molecular Alcohol Research in Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine II, Faculty of Medicine at Mannheim, University of Heidelberg, Germany
J Cell Mol Med 12:2130-44. 2008..Smad-dependent TGF-beta effects are blunted by antagonistic Smad7, which is transcriptionally activated as an immediate early response upon initiation of TGF-beta signalling in ..
- Hepatocyte-specific Smad7 expression attenuates TGF-beta-mediated fibrogenesis and protects against liver damageSteven Dooley
Department of Medicine II, Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University Hospital, Mannheim, Germany
Gastroenterology 135:642-59. 2008..The profibrogenic role of transforming growth factor (TGF)-beta in liver has mostly been attributed to hepatic stellate cell activation and excess matrix synthesis. Hepatocytes are believed to contribute to increased rates of apoptosis...
- Smad7 is required for the development and function of the heartQian Chen
Department of Medical and Molecular Genetics, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
J Biol Chem 284:292-300. 2009..These effects are largely mediated by Smad proteins. Smad7 is a negative regulator for the signaling of TGF-beta family members...
- Disruption of the Smad7 gene promotes renal fibrosis and inflammation in unilateral ureteral obstruction (UUO) in miceArthur C K Chung
Department of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, Hong Kong, China
Nephrol Dial Transplant 24:1443-54. 2009The present study tested the hypothesis that disruption of Smad7 function may accelerate renal fibrosis and inflammation.
- Smad7 regulates the adult neural stem/progenitor cell pool in a transforming growth factor beta- and bone morphogenetic protein-independent mannerMonika Krampert
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, Uppsala University, Box 595, BMC, 75124 Uppsala, Sweden
Mol Cell Biol 30:3685-94. 2010..Here, we investigated neurogenesis in a hypomorphic mouse model for the TGF-beta and BMP inhibitor Smad7, with the hypothesis that NPC proliferation might be reduced due to increased TGF-beta and BMP signaling...
- The protective role of Smad7 in diabetic kidney disease: mechanism and therapeutic potentialHai Yong Chen
Department of Medicine and Therapeutics and Li Ka Shing Institute of Health Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Diabetes 60:590-601. 2011..a downstream mediator of transforming growth factor-β (TGF-β) signaling in diabetes complications, the role of Smad7 in diabetes remains largely unclear...
- Cbl-b mediates TGFβ sensitivity by downregulating inhibitory SMAD7 in primary T cellsThomas Gruber
Department for Pharmacology and Genetics, Medical University of Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria
J Mol Cell Biol 5:358-68. 2013..This study shows that SMAD7, an established negative regulator of TGFβ receptor (TGFβR) signaling, is a key downstream effector target of ..
- Smad7 but not Smad6 cooperates with oncogenic ras to cause malignant conversion in a mouse model for squamous cell carcinomaXin Liu
Laboratory of Cellular Carcinogenesis and Tumor Promotion, National Cancer Institute NIH, Building 37, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Cancer Res 63:7760-8. 2003b>Smad7 and Smad6 are inhibitory Smads that block transforming growth factor-beta (TGF-beta) superfamily signal transduction...
- Colocalization of mouse autoimmune diabetes loci Idd21.1 and Idd21.2 with IDDM6 (human) and Iddm3 (rat)Jade E Hollis-Moffatt
University of Otago, Department of Biochemistry, Box 56, Dunedin, New Zealand
Diabetes 54:2820-5. 2005..1-21.2 in mouse. Further genetic localization of Idd21.1 and Idd21.2 could expedite characterization of the human IDDM6 region...
- Smad7 induces hepatic metastasis in colorectal cancerS K Halder
Department of Surgery, Vanderbilt Ingram Cancer Center, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Br J Cancer 99:957-65. 2008..We previously reported that overexpression of Smad7 in colon adenocarcinoma (FET) cells induces tumorigenicity by blocking TGF-beta-induced growth inhibition and ..
- Protection of cerulein-induced pancreatic fibrosis by pancreas-specific expression of Smad7Jing He
Key Laboratory of Nutrition and Metabolism, Institute for Nutritional Sciences, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Graduate School of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, 294 Taiyuan Road, Shanghai 200031, China
Biochim Biophys Acta 1792:56-60. 2009..We analyzed the in vivo role of TGF-beta pathway in pancreatic fibrosis in this study. Smad7, an intracellular inhibitory protein that antagonizes TGF-beta signaling, was specifically expressed in the ..
- The deubiquitinase CYLD targets Smad7 protein to regulate transforming growth factor β (TGF-β) signaling and the development of regulatory T cellsYongge Zhao
Laboratory of Host Defenses, NIAID, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Biol Chem 286:40520-30. 2011..Under endogenous conditions, CYLD formed a complex with Smad7 that facilitated CYLD deubiquitination of Smad7 at lysine 360 and 374 residues...
- Smad6 and Smad7 are co-regulated with hepcidin in mouse models of iron overloadMaja Vujic Spasic
Department of Pediatric Oncology, Hematology and Immunology, University Hospital of Heidelberg, Germany
Biochim Biophys Acta 1832:76-84. 2013The inhibitory Smad7 acts as a critical suppressor of hepcidin, the major regulator of systemic iron homeostasis...
- Tbx1 genetically interacts with the transforming growth factor-β/bone morphogenetic protein inhibitor Smad7 during great vessel remodelingIrinna Papangeli
UCL ICH, 30 Guilford St, London WC1N 1EH, UK
Circ Res 112:90-102. 2013..Tbx1 haploinsufficient embryos, which model DiGeorge syndrome, display fourth arch artery defects during formation of the vessels. Recovery from such defects is a documented yet unexplained phenotype in Tbx1 haploinsufficiency...
- Computational modelling of Smad-mediated negative feedback and crosstalk in the TGF-β superfamily networkDaniel Nicklas
Modeling of Biological Networks Laboratory, Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of California, 451 East Health Sciences Drive, Davis, CA 95616, USA
J R Soc Interface 10:20130363. 2013..together with crosstalking between Smad1/5/8 and Smad2/3 channels through a negative feedback loop dependent on Smad7. The resulting model accurately reproduces the diverse behaviour of experimental datasets for human keratinocytes, ..
- Transforming growth factor-β signaling in T cells promotes stabilization of atherosclerotic plaques through an interleukin-17-dependent pathwayAnton Gisterå
Center for Molecular Medicine, Department of Medicine, Karolinska University Hospital, Karolinska Institutet, SE 17176 Stockholm, Sweden
Sci Transl Med 5:196ra100. 2013..Bone marrow from mice with a T cell-specific deletion of Smad7, a potent inhibitor of TGF-β signaling, was transplanted into hypercholesterolemic Ldlr(-/-) mice...
- CHD7 interacts with BMP R-SMADs to epigenetically regulate cardiogenesis in miceYuelong Liu
Department of Genetics and Department of Cell, Developmental and Integrative Biology, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Hum Mol Genet 23:2145-56. 2014..Impaired BMP activities in embryonic hearts may thus have a major contribution to CHDs in CHARGE syndrome. ..
- A functional role for Smad7 in sustaining colon cancer cell growth and survivalC Stolfi
Department of Systems Medicine, University of Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy
Cell Death Dis 5:e1073. 2014..factor (TGF)-β mainly owing to its ability to bind TGF-β receptor type I and abrogate TGF-β-driven signaling, Smad7 can interact with additional intracellular proteins and regulate TGF-β-independent pathways, thus having a key ..
- Age-dependent and differential effects of Smad7ΔEx1 on neural progenitor cell proliferation and on neurogenesisJulia Marschallinger
Institute of Molecular Regenerative Medicine, Paracelsus Medical University, 5020 Salzburg, Austria Spinal Cord Injury and Tissue Regeneration Center Salzburg, Paracelsus Medical University, 5020 Salzburg, Austria
Exp Gerontol 57:149-54. 2014We recently reported that young (3 to 4months old) mice lacking Exon 1 of the Smad7 gene (S7ΔEx1 mice) show enhanced proliferation of neural stem and progenitor cells (NPCs) in the hippocampal dentate gyrus (DG) and in the ..
- The Active Form of Vitamin D Transcriptionally Represses Smad7 Signaling and Activates Extracellular Signal-regulated Kinase (ERK) to Inhibit the Differentiation of a Inflammatory T Helper Cell Subset and Suppress Experimental Autoimmune EncephalomyelitisRavikanth Nanduri
From the Department of Protein Science and Molecular Biology, Institute of Microbial Technology, Council of Scientific and Industrial Research CSIR, Sector 39 A, Chandigarh 160036, India
J Biol Chem 290:12222-36. 2015..of the VDR along with its heterodimeric partner RXR to the negative vitamin D response element on the promoter of Smad7, which leads to Smad7 gene repression...
- MicroRNA-21 promotes osteogenic differentiation by targeting small mothers against decapentaplegic 7Hongqiu Li
Department of Orthopedics, Shengjing Hospital of China Medical University, Shenyang 110004, P R China
Mol Med Rep 12:1561-7. 2015..miR-21 is important in osteoblast differentiation and Smad7 is a critical regulator of osteogenic differentiation, which inhibits proliferation, differentiation and ..
- AKT regulation of mesothelial-to-mesenchymal transition in peritoneal dialysis is modulated by Smurf2 and deubiquitinating enzyme USP4Li Xiao
Department of Nephrology, Second Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, Changsha, Hunan, 410011, China
BMC Cell Biol 16:7. 2015..Transforming growth factor-β1 (TGF-β1) plays a key role in mesothelial-to-mesenchymal transition (MMT) during peritoneal dialysis (PD). However, the role of Akt in MMT transformation in PD is not clear...
- Transient activation of NF-kappaB through a TAK1/IKK kinase pathway by TGF-beta1 inhibits AP-1/SMAD signaling and apoptosis: implications in liver tumor formationMarcello Arsura
Department of Pharmacology, University of Tennessee College of Medicine, Memphis 38163, USA
Oncogene 22:412-25. 2003..Furthermore, TGF-beta1-mediated upregulation of Smad7 appeared independent of NF-kappaB...
- The gonadotropin releasing hormone (GnRH) receptor activating sequence (GRAS) is a composite regulatory element that interacts with multiple classes of transcription factors including Smads, AP-1 and a forkhead DNA binding proteinBuffy S Ellsworth
Animal Reproduction and Biotechnology Laboratory, Department of Biomedical Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523, USA
Mol Cell Endocrinol 206:93-111. 2003..We suggest that GRAS is a composite regulatory element whose functional activity is dependent on the organization of a multi-protein complex consisting of Smads, AP-1 and a member of the forkhead family of DNA binding proteins...
- PRDM16/MEL1: a novel Smad binding protein expressed in murine embryonic orofacial tissueDennis R Warner
Department of Molecular, Cellular, and Craniofacial Biology, University of Louisville Birth Defects Center, 501 South Preston Street, Suite 301, Louisville, KY 40292, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1773:814-20. 2007..Taken together, these results demonstrate that PRDM16/MEL1 is a Smad binding protein that may be important for development of orofacial structures through modulation of the TGFbeta signaling pathway...
- miR-192 mediates TGF-beta/Smad3-driven renal fibrosisArthur C K Chung
Department of Medicine and Therapeutics and Li Ka Shing Institute of Health Sciences, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
J Am Soc Nephrol 21:1317-25. 2010..Deletion of Smad7 promoted miR-192 expression and enhanced Smad signaling and fibrosis in obstructive kidney disease...
- The FBXL5-IRP2 axis is integral to control of iron metabolism in vivoToshiro Moroishi
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Medical Institute of Bioregulation, Kyushu University, 3 1 1 Maidashi, Higashi ku, Fukuoka, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Cell Metab 14:339-51. 2011..The liver-specific mutant mice died with acute liver failure when fed a high-iron diet. Thus, our results uncover a major role for FBXL5 in ensuring an appropriate supply of iron to cells...
- Loss of angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 enhances TGF-β/Smad-mediated renal fibrosis and NF-κB-driven renal inflammation in a mouse model of obstructive nephropathyZhen Liu
Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, Li Ka Shing Institute of Health Sciences, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, NT, Hong Kong SAR, China
Lab Invest 92:650-61. 2012..in the UUO kidney of Ace2(-/y) mice was associated with upregulation of an E3 ligase Smurf2 and a loss of renal Smad7. In conclusion, enhanced Ang II-mediated TGF-β/Smad and NF-κB signaling may be the mechanisms by which loss of ..
- Dual-mode modulation of Smad signaling by Smad-interacting protein Sip1 is required for myelination in the central nervous systemQinjie Weng
Department of Developmental Biology and Kent Waldrep Foundation Center for Basic Neuroscience Research on Nerve Growth and Regeneration, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
Neuron 73:713-28. 2012..Importantly, a key Sip1-activated target, Smad7, is required for oligodendrocyte differentiation and partially rescues differentiation defects caused by Sip1 loss...
- Smad7-deficient mice show growth retardation with reduced viabilityMasayoshi Tojo
Department of Molecular Pathology, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
J Biochem 151:621-31. 2012b>Smad7 is an inhibitory molecule induced by members of the transforming growth factor-β (TGF-β) family, including TGF-β, activin, nodal and bone morphogenetic proteins (BMPs)...
- miR-21 mediates hematopoietic suppression in MDS by activating TGF-β signalingTushar D Bhagat
Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY
Blood 121:2875-81. 2013..We observed that SMAD7, a negative regulator of transforming growth factor-beta (TGF-β) receptor-I kinase, is markedly reduced in MDS ..
- The loss of Trps1 suppresses ureteric bud branching because of the activation of TGF-β signalingTing Gui
Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, Shandong University, Jinan Wen Hua Xi Road 44, Jinan 250012, PR China
Dev Biol 377:415-27. 2013..analyses showed increased levels of Rb1cc1, Arkadia1, and phosphorylated Smad3 and decreased levels of Smurf2, Smad7, and c-Ski in the KO embryonic kidneys...
- Smad signaling pathways regulate pancreatic endocrine developmentYousef El-Gohary
Department of Surgery, Division of Pediatric Surgery, Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, One Children s Hospital Drive, 4401 Penn Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15224, USA
Dev Biol 378:83-93. 2013..Specifically, the intracellular mediators of TGF-β signaling, smad2 and smad3, along with their inhibitor smad7, appear to mediate this process...
- Can't get no SMADisfaction: Smad proteins as positive and negative regulators of TGF-beta family signalsJ L Christian
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Oregon Health Sciences University, School of Medicine, Portland 97201 3098, USA
Bioessays 21:382-90. 1999..Negative feedback circuits such as these play important roles in fine-tuning the activity of multifunctional signaling molecules during embryonic patterning and in response to pathologic stimuli in adults...
- Transient gene transfer and expression of Smad7 prevents bleomycin-induced lung fibrosis in miceA Nakao
Department of Medicine II, Chiba University, School of Medicine, Chiba 260 0856, Japan
J Clin Invest 104:5-11. 1999..b>Smad7 has been recently identified as an antagonist of TGF-beta signaling...
- Regulation of Smad7 promoter by direct association with Smad3 and Smad4R P Nagarajan
Department of Medical Genetics, Walther Oncology Center, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
J Biol Chem 274:33412-8. 1999b>Smad7 is a regulatory Smad protein that is able to antagonize signal transduction by transforming growth factor-beta (TGF-beta) and activin receptors...
- Transforming growth factor beta -inducible independent binding of SMAD to the Smad7 promoterN G Denissova
Center for Advanced Biotechnology and Medicine, and Laboratory for Cancer Research, Department of Chemical Biology, College of Pharmacy, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:6397-402. 2000..In an effort to search for TGF-beta-inducible genes, we used a subtractive screening method and identified human Smad7, which can antagonize TGF-beta signaling and is rapidly up-regulated by TGF-beta...
- Participation of Smad2, Smad3, and Smad4 in transforming growth factor beta (TGF-beta)-induced activation of Smad7. THE TGF-beta response element of the promoter requires functional Smad binding element and E-box sequences for transcriptional regulationM Stopa
Institut fur Klinische Chemie und Pathobiochemie, RWTH Universitätsklinikum, 52074 Aachen, Germany
J Biol Chem 275:29308-17. 2000b>Smad7 has recently been identified as a player that antagonizes transforming growth factor beta (TGF-beta) signals by acting downstream of TGF-beta receptors...
- Blockade of transforming growth factor beta/Smad signaling in T cells by overexpression of Smad7 enhances antigen-induced airway inflammation and airway reactivityA Nakao
Allergy Research Center, Juntendo University, School of Medicine, Tokyo 113 8421, Japan
J Exp Med 192:151-8. 2000..To address this issue, we developed transgenic mice expressing Smad7, an intracellular antagonist of TGF-beta/Smad signaling, selectively in mature T cells using a plasmid construct ..
- Developmentally regulated expression of Smad3, Smad4, Smad6, and Smad7 involved in TGF-beta signalingK Luukko
Haartman Institute, P O Box 21, 00014 University of Helsinki and HUCH Laboratory Diagnostics, P O Box 401, 00029, Helsinki, Finland
Mech Dev 101:209-12. 2001..Inhibitory Smad6 and Smad7 were coexpressed at high levels in developing cardiovascular system from the earliest stages studied...
- Antagonistic effects of Smad2 versus Smad7 are sensitive to their expression level during tooth developmentY Ito
Center for Craniofacial Molecular Biology School of Dentistry, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90033, USA
J Biol Chem 276:44163-72. 2001..Here we tested the hypothesis that antagonistic effects between Smad2 and Smad7 regulate TGF-beta signaling during tooth development...
- Apoptosis in podocytes induced by TGF-beta and Smad7M Schiffer
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
J Clin Invest 108:807-16. 2001..Apoptosis is associated with progressive depletion of podocytes and precedes mesangial expansion. Smad7 protein expression is strongly induced specifically in damaged podocytes of transgenic mice and in cultured murine ..
- Endocardial cushion and myocardial defects after cardiac myocyte-specific conditional deletion of the bone morphogenetic protein receptor ALK3Vinciane Gaussin
Center for Cardiovascular Development, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:2878-83. 2002..Hence, ALK3 is essential, beyond just the egg cylinder stage, for myocyte-dependent functions and signals in cardiac organogenesis...
- Yes-associated protein (YAP65) interacts with Smad7 and potentiates its inhibitory activity against TGF-beta/Smad signalingOlivier Ferrigno
INSERM U532, Institut de Recherche sur la Peau, Hopital Saint Louis, Paris, France
Oncogene 21:4879-84. 2002..Intracellular propagation of the signal occurs by phosphorylation of intracellular proteins of the Smad family. Smad7 belongs to the subclass of inhibitory Smads that function as antagonists of TGF-beta signaling...
- The essential role of Cited2, a negative regulator for HIF-1alpha, in heart development and neurulationZhan Yin
Department of Pharmacology and Cancer Center, University Hospitals of Cleveland, OH 44106 4965, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:10488-93. 2002..These findings demonstrate that Cited2 is an indispensable regulatory gene during prenatal development...
- A major locus on mouse chromosome 18 controls XX sex reversal in Odd Sex (Ods) miceYangjun Qin
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Hum Mol Genet 12:509-15. 2003..The close proximity of Smad2, Smad7 and Smad4 to D18Mit189/210 provides a potential mechanism through which Odsm1 might act.
- Identification of three novel Smad binding proteins involved in cell polarityDennis R Warner
University of Louisville Birth Defects Center, Department of Molecular, Cellular, and Craniofacial Biology, University of Louisville School of Dentistry, 501 South Preston Street, Suite 301, Louisville, KY 40292, USA
FEBS Lett 539:167-73. 2003....
- Regulation of transforming growth factor-beta signaling by protein inhibitor of activated STAT, PIASy through Smad3Seiyu Imoto
Department of Immunology, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Hokkaido University, Kita Ku Kita 12 Nishi 6, Sapporo 060 0812, Japan
J Biol Chem 278:34253-8. 2003..In particular, Smad7 acts as an antagonist of TGF-beta signaling, which could determine the intensity or duration of its signaling ..
- Sustained activation of fibroblast transforming growth factor-beta/Smad signaling in a murine model of sclerodermaShinsuke Takagawa
Section of Rheumatology, University of Illinois at Chicago, 60607, USA
J Invest Dermatol 121:41-50. 2003..Expression of Smad7, the endogenous inhibitor of transforming growth factor-beta/Smad signaling, was strongly induced in dermal cells ..
- GATA- and Smad1-dependent enhancers in the Smad7 gene differentially interpret bone morphogenetic protein concentrationsHassina Benchabane
Programme in Molecular Biology and Cancer, Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Room 1075, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario M5G 1X5, Canada
Mol Cell Biol 23:6646-61. 2003b>Smad7, an inhibitor of transforming growth factor beta superfamily signaling, is induced by bone morphogenetic protein (BMP) in an inhibitory feedback loop...
- Interaction of Smads with collagen types I, III, and VLeslie R Ellis
Department of Molecular, Cellular, and Craniofacial Biology, ULSD, University of Louisville Birth Defects Center, Louisville, KY 40292, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 310:1117-23. 2003..Moreover, TGFbeta is a potent regulator of collagen synthesis and turnover during mammalian orofacial development. These data thus suggest an important means of feedback regulation of the TGFbeta signaling cascade...
- Identification of novel Smad binding proteinsDennis R Warner
Department of Molecular, Cellular, and Craniofacial Biology, University of Louisville Birth Defects Center, ULSD, Louisville, KY 40292, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 312:1185-90. 2003..The identification of these proteins as Smad binding partners allows exploration of new mechanisms whereby TGFbeta signaling may be regulated, and reveals additional potential interactions with other signaling pathways...
- Smad expression during kidney developmentP Vrljicak
Montreal Children s Hospital, 2300 Tupper St, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3H 1P3
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 286:F625-33. 2004..Expression of the I-Smad Smad7 was also seen in mesenchymal cells in the interstitium...
- Functional interaction between Smad, CREB binding protein, and p68 RNA helicaseDennis R Warner
Department of Molecular, Cellular, and Craniofacial Biology, University of Louisville Birth Defects Center, ULSD, Louisville, KY 40292, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 324:70-6. 2004..This offers a means of enhancing TGFbeta-mediated cellular responses in developing orofacial tissue...
- Transforming growth factor beta-dependent sequential activation of Smad, Bim, and caspase-9 mediates physiological apoptosis in gastric epithelial cellsMasatoshi Ohgushi
Graduate School of Biostudies, Kyoto University, SCRB Building G, Yoshida konoe cho, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8501, Japan
Mol Cell Biol 25:10017-28. 2005..Expression of Smad7 and Bcl-X(L), but not viral FLIP, was shown to prevent TGF-beta-induced apoptosis, indicating an exclusive ..
- Smad7 induces G0/G1 cell cycle arrest in mesenchymal cells by inhibiting the expression of G1 cyclinsKoki Kitamura
Department of Molecular Biology, Biomolecular Engineering Research Institute, 6 2 3 Furuedai, Suita, Osaka 565 0874, Japan
Dev Growth Differ 47:537-52. 2005..In this study, we examined the effects of sustained Smad7 expression in cultured cells...
- Axin is a scaffold protein in TGF-beta signaling that promotes degradation of Smad7 by ArkadiaWei Liu
Department of Biochemistry, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Kowloon, Hong Kong, China
EMBO J 25:1646-58. 2006..Here, we show that Axin activates TGF-beta signaling by forming a multimeric complex consisting of Smad7 and ubiquitin E3 ligase Arkadia...
- Gene transfer of Smad7 modulates injury-induced conjunctival wound healing in miceOsamu Yamanaka
Department of Ophthalmology, Wakayama Medical University, Wakayama, Japan
Mol Vis 12:841-51. 2006b>Smad7 is a molecule that blocks the Smad2/3 signal. Herein, we examined the effects of Smad7 gene introduction on post-injury conjunctival wound healing in mice...
- Man1, an inner nuclear membrane protein, regulates vascular remodeling by modulating transforming growth factor beta signalingAkihiko Ishimura
The 21st Century Center of Excellence Program, Akita University School of Medicine, Hondo 1 1 1, Akita, Japan
Development 133:3919-28. 2006..These results have revealed a novel role for Man1 in angiogenesis and provide the first evidence that vascular remodeling can be regulated at the INM through the interaction between Man1 and Smads...
- Localization of TGF-beta signaling intermediates Smad2, 3, 4, and 7 in developing and mature human and mouse kidneyMiriam C Banas
Klinik und Poliklinik fur Innere Medizin II, Franz Josef Strauss Allee 11, 93053 Regensburg, Germany
J Histochem Cytochem 55:275-85. 2007..of TGF-beta-receptor activated Smads (Smad2 and Smad3), the common partner Smad (Smad4), an inhibitory Smad (Smad7), and the activated (phosphorylated) Smad2 (pSmad2) in developing and adult kidneys of humans and mice...
- SMAD expression in the testis: an insight into BMP regulation of spermatogenesisCatherine Itman
Monash Institute of Medical Research, and the Australian Research Council Centre of Excellence in Biotechnology and Development, Monash University, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Dev Dyn 237:97-111. 2008..Smad1, Smad5, Smad8, Smad4, Smad6, and Smad7 expression is ubiquitous during testis development but becomes cell-specific in the adult...
- TGF-beta signaling is dynamically regulated during the alveolarization of rodent and human lungsMiguel A Alejandre-Alcázar
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Giessen Lung Center, Justus Liebig University, Giessen, Germany
Dev Dyn 237:259-69. 2008..Acvrl1, Tgfbr1, Tgfbr2, Tgfbr3, and endoglin, and the intracellular messengers Smad2, Smad3, Smad4, Smad6, and Smad7 were noted as mouse and human lungs progressed through the canalicular, saccular, and alveolar stages of ..
- Tieg3/Klf11 induces apoptosis in OLI-neu cells and enhances the TGF-beta signaling pathway by transcriptional repression of Smad7Gabriele Gohla
Department of Neuroanatomy, Center of Anatomy, Georg August University of Gottingen, Gottingen, Germany
J Cell Biochem 104:850-61. 2008..we demonstrate that Tieg3/Klf11 enhances TGF-beta signaling by transcriptional repression of the inhibitory Smad7 and, thereby, disrupts the negative feedback loop of the TGF-beta signaling pathway...
- alpha3beta1 integrin-controlled Smad7 regulates reepithelialization during wound healing in miceLouise E Reynolds
Centre for Tumour Biology, Institute of Cancer Research and Cancer Research UK Clinical Centre, Barts and The London, Queen Mary s School of Medicine and Dentistry, John Vane Science Centre, London, United Kingdom
J Clin Invest 118:965-74. 2008..Specifically, expression of the inhibitor of TGF-beta1-signaling Smad7 was elevated in Itga3(-/-) keratinocytes...
- Iron regulates phosphorylation of Smad1/5/8 and gene expression of Bmp6, Smad7, Id1, and Atoh8 in the mouse liverLéon Kautz
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, U563, Centre de Physiopathologie de Toulouse Purpan, Toulouse, France
Blood 112:1503-9. 2008..They are coding for Bmp6, Smad7, Id1, and Atoh8 all related to the Bmp/Smad pathway...
- TGF-beta1/Smad7 signaling stimulates renal tubulointerstitial fibrosis induced by AAIYanying Wang
Laboratory of Pharmacology of Chinese Veterinary Medicine, Department of Animal Science and Technology, Beijing University of Agriculture, Beijing, China
J Recept Signal Transduct Res 28:413-28. 2008..0% at 36 hr; it was also evidently increased (217.4%) after being treated with 30 ng/mL AAI for 24 hr. Meanwhile, Smad7 mRNA level was down-regulated by AAI in dose- and time-dependence...
- Analyses of TGF-beta1-inducible Ig germ-line gamma2b promoter activity: involvement of Smads and NF-kappaBGoo Young Seo
Department of Molecular Bioscience, School of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Kangwon National University, Chuncheon, Kangwondo, Republic of Korea
Eur J Immunol 39:1157-66. 2009..Instead, NF-kappaB overexpression increased the expression of Smad7 transcripts...
- Nuclear function of Smad7 promotes myogenesisTetsuaki Miyake
Department of Biology, York University, St, Toronto, Ontario M3J 1P3, Canada
Mol Cell Biol 30:722-35. 2010In the "canonical" view of transforming growth factor beta (TGF-beta) signaling, Smad7 plays an inhibitory role...
- Prdm16 is required for normal palatogenesis in miceBryan C Bjork
Genetics Division, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, New Research Building, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Hum Mol Genet 19:774-89. 2010..PRDM16 should be considered a candidate for mutation in human clefting disorders, especially NSCP and PRS-like CP...
- SMAD7 controls iron metabolism as a potent inhibitor of hepcidin expressionKatarzyna Mleczko-Sanecka
Department of Pediatric Oncology, Hematology and Immunology, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Blood 115:2657-65. 2010..By using high-throughput siRNA screening we identified SMAD7 as a potent hepcidin suppressor...
- Neogenin inhibits HJV secretion and regulates BMP-induced hepcidin expression and iron homeostasisDae Hoon Lee
Institute of Molecular Medicine and Genetics, and Department of Neurology, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA 30912, USA
Blood 115:3136-45. 2010..These results reveal a novel mechanism underlying neogenin regulation of HJV-BMP signaling...
- Relative roles of the different Pax6 domains for pancreatic alpha cell developmentPetra Dames
Ludwig Maximilians Universitat, Klinikum Grosshadern, Medizinische Klinik, Munchen, Germany
BMC Dev Biol 10:39. 2010..We ask the question of how the differentiation of pancreatic endocrine cells, in particular that of alpha-cells, is affected by selective inactivation of either one of the three major domains of Pax6...
- Inhibitory Smad proteins promote the differentiation of mouse embryonic stem cells into ependymal-like ciliated cellsYusuke Nishimura
Department of Biological Science, Graduate School of Science, The University of Tokyo, 3 8 1 Komaba, Meguro ku, Tokyo 153 8902, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 401:1-6. 2010..In this study, we found that inhibitory Smad proteins, Smad7 and Smad6, significantly promoted the differentiation of mouse embryonic stem (ES) cells into ciliated cells...
- Tenascin-x facilitates myocardial fibrosis and cardiac remodeling through transforming growth factor-β1 and peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor γ in alcoholic cardiomyopathyLing Jing
Department of Cardiology, First Clinical College of Harbin Medical University, Harbin, Heilongjiang 150001, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 124:390-5. 2011....
- Hepatic deletion of Smad7 in mouse leads to spontaneous liver dysfunction and aggravates alcoholic liver injuryLu Zhu
Key Laboratory of Nutrition and Metabolism, Institute for Nutritional Sciences, Graduate School of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai, China
PLoS ONE 6:e17415. 2011..b>Smad7 is an intracellular negative regulator of TGF-β signaling...
- In vivo neuronal subtype-specific targets of Atoh1 (Math1) in dorsal spinal cordHelen C Lai
Department of Neuroscience, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Dallas, Texas 75390, USA
J Neurosci 31:10859-71. 2011..These targets, Klf7, Rab15, Rassf4, Selm, and Smad7, have diverse functions that range from transcription factors to regulators of endocytosis and signaling pathways...
- Positive and negative modulation of vitamin D receptor function by transforming growth factor-beta signaling through smad proteinsY Yanagi
Institute of Molecular and Cellular Biosciences, University of Tokyo, Yayoi 1 1 1, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0034, Japan
J Biol Chem 274:12971-4. 1999..and Kato, S. (1999) Science 283, 1317-1321). Here, we investigated the roles of inhibitory Smads, Smad6 and Smad7, which are negative regulators of the TGF-beta/bone morphogenetic protein signaling pathway, on the Smad3-mediated ..
- Smad7 selectively interferes with different pathways of activin signaling and inhibits erythroid leukemia cell differentiationK Kitamura
Department of Molecular Biology, Biomolecular Engineering Research Institute, Osaka, Japan
Blood 95:3371-9. 2000..A distant family member, Smad7, is expressed in most mammalian tissues and cells and prevents TGF-beta signaling...
- Localization of intestinal intraepithelial T lymphocytes involves regulation of alphaEbeta7 expression by transforming growth factor-betaRyuyo Suzuki
Atopy Allergy Research Center, Juntendo University School of Medicine, Tokyo 113 8421, Japan
Int Immunol 14:339-45. 2002..We have recently established transgenic mice expressing Smad7 under the control of a distal lck promoter where TGF-beta/Smad signaling is specifically blocked in mature T cells...
- Inhibitory smads and tgf-Beta signaling in glomerular cellsMario Schiffer
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 13:2657-66. 2002Smad6 and Smad7 are inhibitory SMADs with putative functional roles at the intersection of major intracellular signaling networks, including TGF-beta, receptor tyrosine kinase (RTK), JAK/STAT, and NF-kappaB pathways...
- Smad7 and protein phosphatase 1alpha are critical determinants in the duration of TGF-beta/ALK1 signaling in endothelial cellsGudrun Valdimarsdottir
Dept of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Iceland, Vatnsmyrarvegur 16, 101 Reykjavik, Iceland
BMC Cell Biol 7:16. 2006..Besides differential receptor binding, the duration of TGF-beta signaling is an important specificity determinant for signaling responses. TGF-beta/ALK1-induced Smad1/5 phosphorylation in ECs occurs transiently...
- Smad7 stabilizes beta-catenin binding to E-cadherin complex and promotes cell-cell adhesionYi Tang
Department of Pathology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 1670 University Boulevard, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
J Biol Chem 283:23956-63. 2008..Here we show that Smad7 promotes cell-cell adhesion by stabilizing beta-catenin and consequently increases the beta-catenin-E-cadherin ..
- Smad7 Inhibits chondrocyte differentiation at multiple steps during endochondral bone formation and down-regulates p38 MAPK pathwaysTakao Iwai
Department of Bone and Cartilage Biology, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
J Biol Chem 283:27154-64. 2008..In vitro studies have demonstrated that Smad7 regulates transforming growth factor-beta and BMP signals by inhibiting Smad pathways in chondrocytes...
- Hepatocyte growth factor inhibits epithelial to myofibroblast transition in lung cells via Smad7Manasi N Shukla
Department of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary, Allergy, and Critical Care Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 40:643-53. 2009..HGF induced expression of Smad7, an inhibitor of TGF-beta signaling, in a mitogen-activated protein kinase-dependent manner...
- ROLE OF NF-KB IN TGF-B1 INDUCED APOPTOSIS OF HEPATOCYTESMarcello Arsura; Fiscal Year: 2005..Furthermore, these findings will provide important insights into the role of NF- kappaB/Rel factors in the control of apoptosis of normal and transformed hepatocytes of potential clinical relevance. ..
- Identification of extrinsic signals in blood formationJan Christian; Fiscal Year: 2006..Understanding how normal blood development occurs is crucial to understanding and preventing disease resulting from misregulation of these pathways. ..
- Analysis of BMP-4 activity in Cleavage mutant miceJan Christian; Fiscal Year: 2007..Understanding the molecular mechanisms by which BMP activity is regulated is key to understanding, treating and preventing congenital anomalies and diseases. [unreadable] [unreadable]..