Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Sp1
Description: trans-acting transcription factor 1
Alias: 1110003E12Rik, AA450830, AI845540, Sp1-1, transcription factor Sp1
Publications138 found, 100 shown here
- FoxO1 inhibits leptin regulation of pro-opiomelanocortin promoter activity by blocking STAT3 interaction with specificity protein 1Guoqing Yang
Laboratory of Metabolic Medicine, Singapore Bioimaging Consortium, Agency for Science, Technology and Research, Singapore 138667
J Biol Chem 284:3719-27. 2009..that phospho-STAT3 activates POMC promoter in response to leptin signaling through a mechanism that requires an SP1-binding site in the POMC promoter...
- TGFbeta1 regulation of vimentin gene expression during differentiation of the C2C12 skeletal myogenic cell line requires Smads, AP-1 and Sp1 family membersYongzhong Wu
Department of Biochemistry and the Massey Cancer Center, Medical College of Virginia Campus, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298 0614, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1773:427-39. 2007..DNA precipitation and ChIP assays suggest that c-Jun, c-Fos, Smad3 and Sp1/Sp3 interact over this region, but this interaction changes during myogenesis with TGFbeta1 induction.
- POZ domain transcription factor, FBI-1, represses transcription of ADH5/FDH by interacting with the zinc finger and interfering with DNA binding activity of Sp1Dong Kee Lee
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, BK21 Project for Medical Sciences, Institute of Genetic Sciences, Yonsei University School of Medicine, 134 Shinchon dong, Seodaemoon ku, Seoul 120 752, Korea
J Biol Chem 277:26761-8. 2002..transcription factor, FBI-1, that recognizes the cis-element (bp -38 to -22) located just upstream of the core Sp1 binding sites (bp -22 to +22) of the ADH5/FDH minimal promoter (bp -38 to +61) in vitro and in vivo, as revealed by ..
- Hypoxia upregulates CD147 through a combined effect of HIF-1α and Sp1 to promote glycolysis and tumor progression in epithelial solid tumorsXia Ke
State Key Laboratory of Bioreactor Engineering, East China University of Science and Technology, Shanghai, 200237, China
Carcinogenesis 33:1598-607. 2012..upregulation was mainly mediated by a combined effect of transcription factors HIF-1 and specificity protein 1 (Sp1) on the activation of CD147 promoter...
- STAT5 proteins are involved in down-regulation of iron regulatory protein 1 gene expression by nitric oxideRafal Radoslaw Starzynski
Department of Molecular Biology, Institute of Genetics and Animal Breeding, Polish Academy of Sciences, Jastrzebiec, ul Postepu 1, 05 552 Wolka Kosowska, Poland
Biochem J 400:367-75. 2006..putative binding sites for transcription factor(s) regulated by NO and/or changes in intracellular iron level: Sp1 (promoter-selective transcription factor 1) and MTF1 (metal transcription factor 1), plus GAS (interferon-gamma-..
- Endothelin-1 induces glut1 transcription through enhanced interaction between Sp1 and NF-kappaB transcription factorsYing Shiun Kao
Institute of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
Cell Signal 20:771-8. 2008..co-immunoprecipitation experiments, we were able to demonstrate that cooperative interaction between NF-kappaB and Sp1 were required to enhance Glut1 transcription in response to ET-1...
- Zinc-induced formation of a coactivator complex containing the zinc-sensing transcription factor MTF-1, p300/CBP, and Sp1Yong Li
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Mail Stop 3030, University of Kansas Medical Center, 39th and Rainbow Blvd, Kansas City, KS 66160 7421, USA
Mol Cell Biol 28:4275-84. 2008..formation of a multiprotein complex containing MTF-1, the histone acetyltransferase p300/CBP, and the transcription factor Sp1. Down-regulation of endogenous p300 expression by small interfering RNA transfection significantly ..
- O-GlcNAc inhibits interaction between Sp1 and Elf-1 transcription factorsKihong Lim
School of Life Sciences and Biotechnology, Korea University, 5 1 Anam dong, Seongbuk gu, Seoul 136 701, Republic of Korea
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 380:569-74. 2009..In this study, we show that O-GlcNAc inhibits a physical interaction between Sp1 and Elf-1 transcription factors, and negatively regulates transcription of placenta and embryonic expression ..
- Bidirectional autoregulatory mechanism of metastasis-associated protein 1-alternative reading frame pathway in oncogenesisDa qiang Li
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, The George Washington University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20037, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:8791-6. 2011..In this context, ARF interacts with transcription factor specificity protein 1 (SP1) and promotes its proteasomal degradation by enhancing its interaction with proteasome subunit regulatory particle ..
- Embryonic lethality and liver degeneration in mice lacking the metal-responsive transcriptional activator MTF-1C Gunes
Institut fur Molekularbiologie, Abteilung II der Universität Zürich, Zurich, Switzerland
EMBO J 17:2846-54. 1998..We also note that the MTF-1 null mutant phenotype bears some similarity to those of two other regulators of cellular stress response, namely c-Jun and NF-kappaB (p65/RelA)...
- The transcription factors MTF-1 and USF1 cooperate to regulate mouse metallothionein-I expression in response to the essential metal zinc in visceral endoderm cells during early developmentG K Andrews
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Kansas Medical Center, 3901 Rainbow Boulevard, Kansas City, KS 66160 7421, USA
EMBO J 20:1114-22. 2001..Expression of MT-I in visceral endoderm cells was dependent on maternal dietary zinc. Thus, the essential metal, zinc, apparently provides the signaling ligand that activates cell-specific MT-I expression in visceral endoderm cells...
- Suppression of HGF receptor gene expression by oxidative stress is mediated through the interplay between Sp1 and Egr-1Xianghong Zhang
Department of Pathology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 284:F1216-25. 2003..was localized at nucleotide position -223 to -68 of c-met promoter, in which reside an imperfect Egr-1 and three Sp1-binding sites...
- Gene transcription of fgl2 in endothelial cells is controlled by Ets-1 and Oct-1 and requires the presence of both Sp1 and Sp3Mingfeng Liu
Multi Organ Transplant Program, Toronto General Hospital and the University of Toronto, Canada
Eur J Biochem 270:2274-86. 2003..cells revealed that the nucleoprotein complexes that form on this positive regulatory domain (PRD) contain Sp1/Sp3 family members, Oct-1, and Ets-1...
- Functional cooperation of simian virus 40 promoter factor 1 and CCAAT/enhancer-binding protein beta and delta in lipopolysaccharide-induced gene activation of IL-10 in mouse macrophagesYi Wen Liu
Graduate Institute of Biopharmaceutics, College of Life Science, National Chiayi University, Chiayi, Taiwan
J Immunol 171:821-8. 2003..have revealed that LPS can activate transcription of the IL-10 gene promoter through an SV40 promoter factor 1 (Sp1) binding site in mouse macrophage RAW264.7...
- Regulation of Egr-1, SRF, and Sp1 mRNA expression in contracting skeletal muscle cellsIsabella Irrcher
Dept of Kinesiology and Health Science, York University, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M3J 1P3
J Appl Physiol (1985) 97:2207-13. 2004..The transcription factors Egr-1, Sp1, and serum response factor (SRF) are potentially important mediators of mitochondrial biogenesis based on the ..
- Cytokine-induced hepatic apoptosis is dependent on FGL2/fibroleukin: the role of Sp1/Sp3 and STAT1/PU.1 composite cis elementsMingfeng Liu
Multi Organ Transplant Program, Toronto General Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Immunol 176:7028-38. 2006..of fgl2 by IFN-gamma in macrophages involved a STAT1-dependent pathway, involving the composite cis elements Sp1/Sp3 and GAS/PU.1...
- K(v)1.5 potassium channel gene regulation by Sp1 transcription factor and oxidative stressSamuel J Fountain
Institute of Membrane and Systems Biology, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 293:H2719-25. 2007..The promoter contained CACCC nucleotide motifs, which we have shown to bind the Sp1 transcription factor in the aorta under physiological conditions in vivo...
- Regulation of poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase-1 (PARP-1) gene expression through the post-translational modification of Sp1: a nuclear target protein of PARP-1Karine Zaniolo
Oncology and Molecular Endocrinology Research Center, Centre de Recherche du CHUL CHUQ and Département d Anatomie Physiologie, Universite Laval, Quebec, G1V 4G2, Canada
BMC Mol Biol 8:96. 2007..of the PARP-1 gene essentially rely on the opposite regulatory actions of two distinct transcription factors, Sp1 and NFI...
- Advanced glycation end products suppress neuropilin-1 expression in podocytes by a reduction in Sp1-dependent transcriptional activityTzvetanka Bondeva
Department of Internal Medicine III, Friedrich Schiller University, Jena, Germany
Am J Nephrol 30:336-45. 2009..The present study was undertaken to unravel the molecular mechanisms underlying AGE-BSA-mediated NRP1 suppression...
- Regulation of gene expression in the preimplantation mouse embryo: temporal and spatial patterns of expression of the transcription factor Sp1D M Worrad
Department of Biology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia 19104 6018, USA
Mol Reprod Dev 46:268-77. 1997..We and others have demonstrated that transcription factor Sp1 is present in the mouse oocyte and early cleavage stage preimplantation embryo...
- Transcription factor Sp1 is essential for early embryonic development but dispensable for cell growth and differentiationM Marin
Erasmus University Rotterdam, Department of Cell Biology, The Netherlands
Cell 89:619-28. 1997b>Transcription factor Sp1 has been implicated in the expression of many genes...
- Histone deacetylase 1 can repress transcription by binding to Sp1A Doetzlhofer
Institute of Molecular Biology, Vienna Biocenter, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Mol Cell Biol 19:5504-11. 1999The members of the Sp1 transcription factor family can act as both negative and positive regulators of gene expression. Here we show that Sp1 can be a target for histone deacetylase 1 (HDAC1)-mediated transcriptional repression...
- The SCL complex regulates c-kit expression in hematopoietic cells through functional interaction with Sp1Eric Lecuyer
Clinical Research Institute of Montreal and from the Departments of Pharmacology, Biochemistry, and Molecular Biology, Universite de Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Blood 100:2430-40. 2002..ubiquitous (E2A, LIM- domain binding protein 1 [Ldb-1]) factors, is tethered to DNA via a specificity protein 1 (Sp1) motif, through direct interactions between elements of the SCL complex and the Sp1 zinc finger protein...
- The repressor element silencing transcription factor (REST)-mediated transcriptional repression requires the inhibition of Sp1Valérie Plaisance
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Lausanne, 1005 Lausanne, Switzerland
J Biol Chem 280:401-7. 2005..Herein, we showed that the transcriptional factor Sp1 was required for expression of most REST target genes both in insulin-secreting cells and neuronal-like cells where ..
- The family feud: turning off Sp1 by Sp1-like KLF proteinsGwen Lomberk
Gastroenterology Research Unit, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55901, USA
Biochem J 392:1-11. 2005b>Sp1 is one of the best characterized transcriptional activators. The biological importance of Sp1 is underscored by the fact that several hundreds of genes are thought to be regulated by this protein...
- Sp1 is up-regulated in cellular and transgenic models of Huntington disease, and its reduction is neuroprotectiveZhihua Qiu
Massachusetts General Institute for Neurodegenerative Disease, Department of Neurology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 114 16th Street, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
J Biol Chem 281:16672-80. 2006..Our data suggest that enhancement of transcription factor Sp1 contributes to the pathology of HD and demonstrates that its suppression is beneficial.
- Modulation of Bone Morphogenetic Protein (BMP) 2 gene expression by Sp1 transcription factorsJunwang Xu
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, UMDNJ New Jersey Medical School, Newark, NJ 07101 1709, USA
Gene 392:221-9. 2007..BMP2 gene polymorphisms have been linked to osteoporosis and osteoarthritis. Sp1 and related proteins are widely expressed regulators of gene expression whose transcription activating abilities ..
- Sp1/Sp3 compound heterozygous mice are not viable: impaired erythropoiesis and severe placental defectsImme Krüger
Institut fur Molekularbiologie und Tumorforschung, Philipps Universitat Marburg, Marburg, Germany
Dev Dyn 236:2235-44. 2007The ubiquitously expressed zinc finger transcription factors Sp1 and Sp3 play critical roles in embryonic development. Sp1 knockout mice die around embryonic day 10.5. Mice lacking Sp3 are postnatal lethal...
- v-Src-mediated down-regulation of SSeCKS metastasis suppressor gene promoter by the recruitment of HDAC1 into a USF1-Sp1-Sp3 complexYahao Bu
Department of Cancer Genetics, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Elm and Carlton Streets, Buffalo, NY 14263, USA
J Biol Chem 282:26725-39. 2007..alpha proximal promoter as the minimal v-Src-responsive element, which contains E- and GC-boxes bound by USF1 and Sp1/Sp3, respectively. Both E- and GC-boxes are crucial for v-Src-responsive and basal promoter activities...
- OX40 gene expression is up-regulated by chromatin remodeling in its promoter region containing Sp1/Sp3, YY1, and NF-kappa B binding sitesYukiko Tone
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Immunol 179:1760-7. 2007..We have shown in this study that basal OX40 promoter activity is regulated by constitutively expressed Sp1/Sp3 and YY1 transcription factors...
- Differential regulation of GPR54 transcription by specificity protein-1 and partial estrogen response element in mouse pituitary cellsMia C DeFino
Department of Pharmacology, Box 357280, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 7280, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 393:603-8. 2010..Supporting experiments show transcription factor SP1 binds directly to the mGPR54 promoter region and activates gene expression...
- Regulation of embryonic kidney branching morphogenesis and glomerular development by KISS1 receptor (Gpr54) through NFAT2- and Sp1-mediated Bmp7 expressionTingfang Yi
Department of Molecular and Cellular Medicine, Texas A and M University Health Science Center, Institute of BioScience and Technology, Center for Cancer and Stem Cell Biology, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Biol Chem 285:17811-20. 2010..Using chromatin immunoprecipitation and luciferase assays, we demonstrate that Gpr54 regulates NFAT2- and Sp1-mediated Bmp7 transcription...
- Overexpression of antioxidant enzymes upregulates aryl hydrocarbon receptor expression via increased Sp1 DNA-binding activityTian Tang
Department of Physiology, Meharry Medical College, Nashville, TN 37208, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 49:487-92. 2010..The objective of this study was to investigate the regulatory role of specificity protein-1 (Sp1) in AhR expression in MAECs that overexpress Cu/Zn-SOD and/or catalase...
- Interactive roles of Ets-1, Sp1, and acetylated histones in the retinoic acid-dependent activation of guanylyl cyclase/atrial natriuretic peptide receptor-A gene transcriptionPrerna Kumar
Department of Physiology, Tulane University Health Sciences Center and School of Medicine, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112, USA
J Biol Chem 285:37521-30. 2010..The present study was conducted to examine the interactive roles of all-trans retinoic acid (ATRA), Ets-1, Sp1, and histone acetylation on the transcriptional regulation and function of the Npr1 gene...
- Characterization of a proximal Sp1 response element in the mouse Dlk2 gene promoterSamuel Rivero
Facultad de Medicina Centro Regional de Investigaciones Biomédicas, Universidad de Castilla La Mancha, Calle Almansa 14, 02006 Albacete, Spain
BMC Mol Biol 12:52. 2011..The expression of the gene Dlk2 is coordinated with that of Dlk1 in several tissues and cell lines. Unlike Dlk1, the mouse Dlk2 gene and its locus at chromosome 17 are not fully characterized...
- mSharp-1/DEC2, a basic helix-loop-helix protein functions as a transcriptional repressor of E box activity and Stra13 expressionSameena Azmi
Brookdale Department of Molecular, Cell and Developmental Biology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029 6574, USA
J Biol Chem 278:20098-109. 2003..Moreover, mSharp-1 directly interacts with the transcriptional activator Sp1 and impairs Sp1 induction of Stra13 promoter...
- A role for E2F6 in the restriction of male-germ-cell-specific gene expressionMichael Pohlers
Children s Hospital, Laboratory for Molecular Biology, Charité CCM, Humboldt University, Ziegelstrasse 5 9, D 10098 Berlin, Germany
Curr Biol 15:1051-7. 2005..Thus, E2F6 is essential for the long-term somatic silencing of certain male-germ-cell-specific genes, but it is dispensable for cell-cycle regulation...
- Expression patterns of SP1 and SP3 during mouse spermatogenesis: SP1 down-regulation correlates with two successive promoter changes and translationally compromised transcriptsWenli Ma
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of South Carolina, Columbia, South Carolina 29208, USA
Biol Reprod 79:289-300. 2008..in regulation of gene expression, it is important to understand how levels of Krüpple-like transcription factors SP1 and SP3 change in germ cells during spermatogenesis...
- Structural and functional characterization of the mouse multidrug resistance gene familyR Dhir
Department of Biochemistry, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Bull Cancer 77:1125-9. 1990..Finally, although mdr1 and mdr3 can confer multidrug resistance, drug survival characteristics of mdr1 and mdr3 transfectants indicate that both proteins have overlapping but distinct substrate specificities...
- An alternatively spliced form of the transcription factor Sp1 containing only a single glutamine-rich transactivation domainS P Persengiev
Worcester Foundation for Biomedical Research, Shrewsbury, MA 01545, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 92:9107-11. 1995..The promoter-specific transcription factor Sp1 contains two glutamine-rich transcriptional activation domains (A and B) that mediate direct interactions ..
- Communication between NF-kappa B and Sp1 controls histone acetylation within the proximal promoter of the monocyte chemoattractant protein 1 geneGunther H Boekhoudt
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
J Immunol 170:4139-47. 2003..chemoattractant protein 1 gene (MCP-1) by TNF occurs through an NF-kappaB-dependent distal regulatory region and an Sp1-dependent proximal regulatory region that are separated by 2.2 kb of sequence...
- Differential utilization of the promoter of peripheral-type benzodiazepine receptor by steroidogenic versus nonsteroidogenic cell lines and the role of Sp1 and Sp3 in the regulation of basal activityChristoforos Giatzakis
Department of Cell Biology, Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20057, USA
Endocrinology 145:1113-23. 2004..the absence of TATA or CCAAT boxes, but the presence of many putative transcription factor-binding sites, including Sp1/Sp3, AP2, Ik2, AP1, SOX, GATA, and SRY...
- Antifibrotic effect via the regulation of transcription factor Sp1 in lung fibrosisYoon Seup Kum
Department of Pathology, Catholic University of Daegu, College of Medicine, 3056 6, Daemyung 4 dong, Nam Gu, Daegu 705 718, Republic of Korea
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 363:368-74. 2007The aim of this study is to evaluate the antifibrotic effect of ring-type Sp1 decoy oligonucleotides (ODNs) through blocking the transcription of transforming growth factor (TGF)-beta1 and its downstream target genes...
- Contributions of specificity protein-1 and steroidogenic factor 1 to Adcy4 expression in Y1 mouse adrenal cellsXianliang Rui
Banting and Best Department of Medical Research, University of Toronto, 112 College Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Endocrinology 149:3668-78. 2008..As determined by site-specific mutagenesis, the 5'-most Sp1/Sp3-site enhances promoter activity, whereas the middle Sp1/Sp3 and SF1 sites each repress Adcy4 promoter activity...
- Central role of Sp1-regulated CD39 in hypoxia/ischemia protectionHolger K Eltzschig
Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO, USA
Blood 113:224-32. 2009..chromatin immunoprecipitation, and inhibition by antisense, revealed a critical role for transcription-factor Sp1 in hypoxia-induction of CD39...
- Transcription factors ETF, E2F, and SP-1 are involved in cytokine-independent proliferation of murine hepatocytesSebastian Zellmer
Institute of Biochemistry, Medical Faculty, University of Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany
Hepatology 52:2127-36. 2010..factor binding sites (TFBS) for ETF (TEA domain family member 2), E2F1 (E2F transcription factor 1), and SP-1 (Sp1 transcription factor) (P < 0.001), all depending on MAPK signaling...
- A novel function of apolipoprotein E: upregulation of ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 expressionYanfeng Zhao
Department of Physiology, Wuhan University School of Basic Medical Science, Wuhan, People s Republic of China
PLoS ONE 6:e21453. 2011..In addition, these lipoproteins increased the level of phosphorylated specificity protein 1 (Sp1) and the amount of Sp1 bound to the ABCA1 promoter...
- P14ARF inhibits human glioblastoma-induced angiogenesis by upregulating the expression of TIMP3Abdessamad Zerrouqi
Laboratory of Molecular Neuro Oncology, Department of Neurosurgery, School of Medicine, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
J Clin Invest 122:1283-95. 2012..Mechanistically, this regulation occurred at the gene transcription level and was controlled by HDM2-SP1 interplay, where P14ARF relieved a dominant negative interaction of HDM2 with SP1...
- FoxO1 inhibits sterol regulatory element-binding protein-1c (SREBP-1c) gene expression via transcription factors Sp1 and SREBP-1cXiong Deng
Department of Medicine, Memphis Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Memphis, Tennessee 38104, USA
J Biol Chem 287:20132-43. 2012..Insulin stimulates SREBP-1c transcription through Sp1 and via "feed forward" regulation by newly synthesized SREBP-1c...
- Osterix induces Col1a1 gene expression through binding to Sp1 sites in the bone enhancer and proximal promoter regionsMaría José Ortuño
Departament de Ciències Fisiològiques II, Universitat de Barcelona, IDIBELL, L Hospitalet de Llobregat, Spain
Bone 52:548-56. 2013..We identified consensus Sp1 sequences, located in the proximal promoter and in the bone-enhancer, as Osterix binding regions in the Col1a1 ..
- Nuclear factor κB2 p52 protein has a role in antiviral immunity through IκB kinase epsilon-dependent induction of Sp1 protein and interleukin 15Sarah L Doyle
Immunology Research Centre, Trinity Biomedical Sciences Institute, School of Biochemistry and Immunology, Trinity College Dublin, Dublin 2, Ireland
J Biol Chem 288:25066-75. 2013..We identify a novel NFκB2 binding site in the promoter of the transcription factor Sp1 that is required for Sp1 gene transcription activated by poly(I:C)...
- Transcription factor Sp1 is expressed by three different developmentally regulated messenger ribonucleic acids in mouse spermatogenic cellsS P Persengiev
Neurobiology Group, Worcester Foundation for Biomedical Research, Shrewsbury, Massachusetts 01545, USA
Endocrinology 137:638-46. 1996..Recent evidence suggests that the DNA-binding protein Sp1 functions as an important trans-activator during cell development and differentiation...
- A critical role of Sp1- and Ets-related transcription factors in maintaining CTL-specific expression of the mouse perforin geneB S Youn
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis 46202, USA
J Immunol 157:3499-509. 1996..The proximal region in PFP9a20 contained two potential Sp1 binding sites (GC box and GT box) and one Ets binding site (EBS)...
- Targeted disruption of mouse Yin Yang 1 transcription factor results in peri-implantation lethalityM E Donohoe
Department of Pathology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Mol Cell Biol 19:7237-44. 1999..Our studies demonstrate an essential function for YY1 in the development of the mouse embryo...
- Histone deacetylase inhibition is associated with transcriptional repression of the Hmga2 geneMark Ferguson
Laboratory of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, The Wheeler Institute for Biomedical Research, Johns Hopkins University Bayview Campus, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 31:3123-33. 2003..chromatin immunoprecipitation (X-ChIP) analysis revealed a 5-6-fold decrease in endogenous Hmga2 promoter bound Sp1 and Sp3 proteins following TSA treatment in parallel with observed loss of acetylated histone H3 and H4...
- c-Jun and Sp1 family are critical for retinoic acid induction of the lamin A/C retinoic acid-responsive elementKoichi Okumura
Biomolecular Engineering Research Institute, 6 2 3 Furuedai, Suita, Osaka 565 0874, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 320:487-92. 2004..P19 cells as a model system, that the lamin A/C promoter has a retinoic acid-responsive element (L-RARE), and that Sp1 and Sp3 bind the CACCC box of the L-RARE...
- Sp1 and Sp3 transcription factors mediate trichostatin A-induced and basal expression of extracellular superoxide dismutaseIgor N Zelko
Department of Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 37:1256-71. 2004..gene regulation, we analyzed EC-SOD's proximal promoter region, which revealed two previously unknown but putative Sp1 cis elements...
- Interleukin-6 induces transcriptional activation of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) in astrocytes in vivo and regulates VEGF promoter activity in glioblastoma cells via direct interaction between STAT3 and Sp1Sébastien Loeffler
Division of Neuropathology, Institute of Pathology, University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland
Int J Cancer 115:202-13. 2005..Electrophoretic mobility shift and supershift assays revealed binding of Sp1 and Sp3 to the -88/-50 element upon IL-6 stimulation...
- Augmented IL-10 production and redox-dependent signaling pathways in glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase-deficient mouse peritoneal macrophagesJeanette Wilmanski
Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, UMDNJ New Jersey Medical School, Newark, 07103, USA
J Leukoc Biol 78:85-94. 2005..Alterations in signaling pathways and associated changes in cytokine production may play a role in modulating the inflammatory responses following bacterial or malarial infections in G6PD deficiency...
- Constitutive expression of murine decay-accelerating factor 1 is controlled by the transcription factor Sp1David M Cauvi
Department of Molecular and Experimental Medicine, W M Keck Autoimmune Disease Center, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
J Immunol 177:3837-47. 2006..7 cells. Mutational analyses of the promoter region combined with Sp1-specific ELISA showed that the transcription factor Sp1 is required for basal transcription and LPS-induced expression of the Daf1 gene...
- Up-regulated expression of Sp1 protein coincident with a viral protein in human and mouse differentiating keratinocytes may act as a cell differentiation markerBo Li
Diamantina Institute for Cancer Immunology and Metabolic Medicine, The University of Queensland, Research Extension, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Woolloongabba, Queensland 4102, Australia
Differentiation 76:1068-80. 2008b>Sp1 is a transcription factor that regulates expression of mammalian and viral genes and is involved in different facets of cellular functions in eukaryotic cells...
- ATM-mediated transcriptional elevation of prion in response to copper-induced oxidative stressKefeng Qin
Departments of Pathology and Microbiology Immunology and Institute of Human Virology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
J Biol Chem 284:4582-93. 2009..the mitogen-activated protein kinase kinase/extracellular-related kinases/extracellular-related kinases (MEK/ERK)/Sp1 pathway. As results, Sp1 and p53 bind to the PrP promoter, leading to increase PrP(C) expression...
- Tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-3 inhibits neonatal mouse cardiomyocyte proliferation via EGFR/JNK/SP-1 signalingLamis Hammoud
Department of Physiology, Univ of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada N6A 5C1
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 296:C735-45. 2009..We conclude that TIMP-3 inhibits neonatal mouse cardiomyocyte proliferation by upregulating p27 expression. The effects of TIMP-3 are mediated via inhibition of EGFR expression/phosphorylation, and decreases in JNK and SP-1 signaling...
- Regulation of the mouse CTP: phosphoethanolamine cytidylyltransferase gene Pcyt2 during myogenesisLin Zhu
Department of Human Health and Nutritional Sciences, Animal Science and Nutrition Building, Room 346, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada N1G 2W1
Gene 447:51-9. 2009..Transcription factors Sp1 and Sp3 bind to regions A (-508/-378 bp) and C (-157/-111 bp), and muscle-specific differentiation factor MyoD ..
- Sp1 mediate hypoxia induced ephrinB2 expression via a hypoxia-inducible factor independent mechanismMarcus Sohl
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Karolinska Institutet, SE 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 391:24-7. 2010..MAZ and Sp1 are known to regulate transcription together and have been shown to bind to the same sites within promoters...
- N-Myc and SP regulate phosphatidylserine synthase-1 expression in brain and glial cellsGuergana Tasseva
Department of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2S2, Canada
J Biol Chem 286:1061-73. 2011..Transcription factor-binding sites, such as a GC-box cluster that binds Sp1/Sp3/Sp4 and N-Myc, and a degenerate E-box motif that interacts with Tal1 and E47, were identified...
- Sp1, acetylated histone-3 and p300 regulate TRAIL transcription: mechanisms of PDGF-BB-mediated VSMC proliferation and migrationNor Saadah M Azahri
Centre for Vascular Research, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW 2052, Australia
J Cell Biochem 113:2597-606. 2012..was increased by PDGF-BB and subsequently inhibited by dominant-negative Sp1, suggesting that the transcription factor Sp1 plays a role...
- CTCF and Sp1 interact with the Murine gammaherpesvirus 68 internal repeat elementsHannah C Stevens
Department of Molecular and Clinical Pharmacology, Institute of Translational Medicine, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, L69 3GE, UK
Virus Genes 45:265-73. 2012..This cell line model was used to investigate transcription factor occupancy (CCCTC binding factor [CTCF] and Sp1) of the two internal repeat elements in the viral genome during latency and reactivation using chromatin ..
- The specificity protein factor Sp1 mediates transcriptional regulation of P2X7 receptors in the nervous systemPaula García-Huerta
Departamento de Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, 28040 Madrid, Spain
J Biol Chem 287:44628-44. 2012..Here we reported the first molecular and functional evidence that Specificity protein 1 (Sp1) transcription factor plays a pivotal role in the transcriptional regulation of P2X7 receptor...
- Macrophage migration arrest due to a winning balance of Rac2/Sp1 repression over β-catenin-induced PLD expressionFrancis J Speranza
1 Dept of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, 3640 Colonel Glenn Highway, Dayton, OH 45435, USA
J Leukoc Biol 94:953-62. 2013..links the Rac2-dependent arrest of chemotaxis to decreased expression of PLD2 through the transcription regulator Sp1. Prolonged Rac2 activity leads to nuclear overactivation of Sp1, which acts as a repressor for PLD2...
- A crucial role for the ubiquitously expressed transcription factor Sp1 at early stages of hematopoietic specificationJane Gilmour
School of Cancer Sciences, Institute of Biomedical Research, College of Medical and Dental Sciences, University of Birmingham, Birmingham B15 2TT, UK
Development 141:2391-401. 2014..is regulated by the interplay of tissue-specific and ubiquitously expressed transcription factors, such as Sp1. Sp1 knockout mice die in utero with multiple phenotypic aberrations, but the underlying molecular mechanism of ..
- Ischemia/reperfusion-induced upregulation of TIGAR in brain is mediated by SP1 and modulated by ROS and hormones involved in glucose metabolismMeiling Sun
Department of Pharmacology and Laboratory of Aging and Nervous Diseases, Jiangsu Key Laboratory of Translational Research and Therapy for Neuro Psycho Diseases, Soochow University School of Pharmaceutical Science, Suzhou 215123, China
Neurochem Int 80:99-109. 2015..The transcription factor SP1 was induced by ischemia/reperfusion ahead of TIGAR upregulation...
- Sp1/Sp3 transcription factors regulate hallmarks of megakaryocyte maturation and platelet formation and functionMarjolein Meinders
Department of Blood Cell Research, Sanquin Research and Landsteiner Laboratory, Academic Medical Centre, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Blood 125:1957-67. 2015b>Sp1 and Sp3 belong to the specificity proteins (Sp)/Krüppel-like transcription factor family. They are closely related, ubiquitously expressed, and recognize G-rich DNA motifs...
- Transcription suppression of thromboxane receptor gene by peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma via an interaction with Sp1 in vascular smooth muscle cellsAkira Sugawara
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, 1 1 Seiryo cho, Aoba ku, Sendai 980 8574, Japan
J Biol Chem 277:9676-83. 2002..Electrophoretic mobility shift assays also showed that the sequence was bound by Sp1 but not by PPAR-gamma, and the formation of a Sp1 small middle dotDNA complex was inhibited either by coincubation ..
- Histone deacetylase 3 mediates allergic skin inflammation by regulating expression of MCP1 proteinYoungmi Kim
Department of Biochemistry, Kangwon National University, Chunchon 200 701, Korea
J Biol Chem 287:25844-59. 2012..FcεRI was necessary for induction of HDAC3 and MCP1. ChIP assays showed that HDAC3, in association with Sp1 and c-Jun, was responsible for induction of MCP1 expression. TSA exerted a negative effect on induction of MCP1...
- Transcriptional regulation of N-acetylglutamate synthaseSandra Kirsch Heibel
Center for Genetic Medicine Research, Children s National Medical Center, Washington, DC, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e29527. 2012..DNA-protein pull-down assays and chromatin immunoprecipitation confirmed binding of Sp1 and CREB, but not C/EBP in the promoter and HNF-1 and NF-Y, but not SMAD3 or AP-2 in the enhancer...
- Difference in the genomic organizations of the related transcription factors Sp1 and Krox-20; possible evolutionary significanceA Chestier
Laboratoire de Genetique Moleculaire, CNRS URA 1302, Ecole Normale Superieure, Paris, France
DNA Seq 2:325-7. 1992We report here part of the genomic sequence of the mouse homolog of the human gene encoding the transcription factor Sp1. This gene belongs to a subfamily of zinc finger proteins, which includes another transcription factor, Krox-20...
- Zinc finger protein genes in the mouse genomeA Ashworth
Chester Beatty Laboratories, Institute of Cancer Research, London, UK
Mamm Genome 1:196-200. 1991
- Localization of the gene for the trans-acting transcription factor Sp1 to the distal end of mouse chromosome 15J D Saffer
Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, Maine 04609
Genomics 8:571-4. 1990The mouse chromosomal location for the gene (Sp1-1) encoding the trans-acting transcription factor Sp1 has been determined...
- A novel, conserved gene of the rat that is developmentally regulated in the testisL Walter
Division of Immunogenetics, University of Gottingen, Germany
Mamm Genome 5:216-21. 1994..Analysis of rat RNA from different stages of spermatogenesis indicated that accumulation of the short transcript occurred mainly postmeiotically. The rat Tegt gene maps to Chromosome (Chr) 7, and its mouse homolog to Chr 15...
- Identification of a novel conserved human gene, TEGTL Walter
Division of Immunogenetics, University of Gottingen, Germany
Genomics 28:301-4. 1995..The presence of a nuclear targeting motif indicates that the gene product might localize to the nucleus. The TEGT gene maps to human chromosome 12q12-q13 and belongs to a syntenic group, which is conserved in human, mouse, and rat...
- Transcriptional regulation of murine beta1,4-galactosyltransferase in somatic cells. Analysis of a gene that serves both a housekeeping and a mammary gland-specific functionB Rajput
Cell Structure and Function Laboratory, Oncology Center Department of Pharmacology and Molecular Sciences, School of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21287 8937, USA
J Biol Chem 271:5131-42. 1996..1-kb start site is occupied mainly by the ubiquitous factor Sp1. In contrast, the region adjacent to the 3...
- A role for Sp and nuclear receptor transcription factors in a cardiac hypertrophic growth programM N Sack
Department of Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94:6438-43. 1997..Antibody "supershift" studies demonstrated that members of the Sp (Sp1, Sp3) and nuclear hormone receptor [chicken ovalbumin upstream promoter transcription factor (COUP-TF)/erbA-related ..
- Sp family transcription factors regulate expression of rat D2 dopamine receptor geneS Yajima
Genetic Pharmacology Unit, Experimental Therapeutics Branch, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
DNA Cell Biol 17:471-9. 1998..receptor gene is transcribed from a TATA-less promoter that has an initiator-like sequence and several putative Sp1 binding sites...
- Combinatorial cis-acting elements control tissue-specific activation of the cardiac troponin I gene in vitro and in vivoR Di Lisi
Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Padova, 35121 Padova, Italy
J Biol Chem 273:25371-80. 1998..Functional analysis indicates that MEF2/Oct-1, Sp1, and GATA regulatory elements are required for optimal gene activation because selective mutations produce weak or ..
- Heterogeneous Sp1 mRNAs in human HepG2 cells include a product of homotypic trans-splicingT Takahara
Department of Life Sciences Chemistry, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Komaba, Meguro, Tokyo 153 8902, Japan
J Biol Chem 275:38067-72. 2000b>Sp1 is one of the well documented transcription factors, but the whole structure of human Sp1 has not been determined yet...
- Complex phenotype of mice homozygous for a null mutation in the Sp4 transcription factor geneH Gollner
Institut fur Molekularbiologie und Tumorforschung, Philipps Universitat Marburg, Germany
Genes Cells 6:689-97. 2001Sp4 is a zinc finger transcription factor which is closely related to Sp1 and Sp3. All three proteins recognize the same DNA elements and can act as transcriptional activators through glutamine-rich activation domains...
- Sp1 is the major fasl gene activator in abnormal CD4(-)CD8(-)B220(+) T cells of lpr and gld miceS Xiao
Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, USA
Eur J Immunol 31:3339-48. 2001..Specific binding sites for Sp1, NFAT, Egr, and NF-kappaB have been identified in the promoter region of the fasl gene...
- Lipopolysaccharide down-regulates Sp1 binding activity by promoting Sp1 protein dephosphorylation and degradationXiaobing Ye
Department of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Long Island Jewish Medical Center, Long Island Campus for the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New Hyde Park, New York 11040, USA
J Biol Chem 277:31863-70. 2002We examined the in vivo effect of lipopolysaccharide (LPS) on Sp1 (promoter-selective transcription factor 1) DNA binding activity and studied the mechanisms involved in mouse lungs...
- Transcriptional activation of endoglin and transforming growth factor-beta signaling components by cooperative interaction between Sp1 and KLF6: their potential role in the response to vascular injuryLuisa M Botella
Centro de Investigaciones Biologicas, Consejo Superior Investigaciones Cientificas CSIC, Madrid, Spain
Blood 100:4001-10. 2002..a GC-rich tract required for basal activity of the endoglin promoter driven by the related GC box binding protein, Sp1. In cells lacking Sp1 and KLF6, transfected KLF6 and Sp1 cooperatively transactivated the endoglin promoter and ..
- Activation of CTP:phosphocholine cytidylyltransferase alpha expression during the S phase of the cell cycle is mediated by the transcription factor Sp1Claudia Banchio
Department of Biochemistry and Canadian Institutes of Health Research Group on Molecular and Cell Biology of Lipids, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, T6G 2S2, Canada
J Biol Chem 278:32457-64. 2003..We now demonstrate that increased binding of the transcription factor Sp1 to the proximal promoter of CT alpha is responsible for increased transcription during the S phase...
- Regulation of aldehyde reductase expression by STAF and CHOPOleg A Barski
Harry B and Aileen Gordon Diabetes Research Laboratory, Molecular Diabetes and Metabolism Section, Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Genomics 83:119-29. 2004..The 3' element binds transcription factors of the Sp1 family...
- Structural basis of the interaction between the AAA ATPase p97/VCP and its adaptor protein p47Ingrid Dreveny
Centre for Structural Biology, Department of Biological Sciences, Imperial College London, South Kensington Campus, London, UK
EMBO J 23:1030-9. 2004..We also propose a classification for ubiquitin-like domains containing or lacking a longer S3/S4 loop...
- Superoxide dismutase-3 promotes full expression of the EPO response to hypoxiaHagir B Suliman
Department of Anesthesiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Blood 104:43-50. 2004....
- Phosphorylation of Sp1 by cyclin-dependent kinase 2 modulates the role of Sp1 in CTP:phosphocholine cytidylyltransferase alpha regulation during the S phase of the cell cycleClaudia Banchio
Department of Biochemistry, Canadian Institutes of Health Research Group in Molecular and Cell Biology of Lipids, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2S2, Canada
J Biol Chem 279:40220-6. 2004..E. (2001) J. Biol. Chem. 276, 43688-43692) and that this activation is driven by increased binding of Sp1 to the CTalpha promoter (Banchio, C., Schang, L. M., and Vance, D. E. (2003) J. Biol. Chem. 278, 32457-32464)...
- Induction of vascular smooth muscle alpha-actin gene transcription in transforming growth factor beta1-activated myofibroblasts mediated by dynamic interplay between the Pur repressor proteins and Sp1/Smad coactivatorsSukanya V Subramanian
Department of Physiology and Cell Biology, Dorothy M Davis Heart and Lung Research Institute, College of Medicine and Public Health, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Mol Biol Cell 15:4532-43. 2004..The SMA enhancer contains tandem sites for the Sp1 transcriptional activator protein and Puralpha and beta repressor proteins...
- Distinct transcriptional control and action of fibroblast growth factor receptor 4 in differentiating skeletal muscle cellsShunJiang Yu
Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai Hospital and University of Toronto, The Freeman Centre for Endocrine Oncology and The Ontario Cancer Institute, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Lab Invest 84:1571-80. 2004..These complexes were efficiently competed by an Sp-type oligonucleotide and were supershifted by Sp1 and by Sp3 antibodies...
- Identification of an Sp factor-dependent promoter in GCET, a gene expressed at high levels in germinal center B cellsJohn W Steinke
Allergy Division, University of Virginia Health Sciences Center, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Mol Immunol 41:1145-53. 2004..Together, these data provide the first analysis of regulatory modules necessary for GCET expression, a model for GC B cell-specific transcription...
- Sp1 site is crucial for the mouse claudin-19 gene expression in the kidney cellsJohn M Luk
Department of Surgery, Hong Kong Jockey Club Clinical Research Centre, Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong SAR, China
FEBS Lett 578:251-6. 2004..resided in the -39 to -108 region, which contained a number of binding sites for transcription factors including Sp1. Site-directed mutagenesis using specific oligo probes confirmed that Sp1 was crucial for Cldn19 transactivation in ..
- Selenium attenuates expression of MnSOD and uncoupling protein 2 in J774.2 macrophages: molecular mechanism for its cell-death and antiinflammatory activityShani Shilo
The School of Nutritional Sciences, Institute of Biochemistry, Food Science and Nutrition, Faculty of Agricultural, Food and Environmental Quality Sciences, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Rehovet, Israel
Antioxid Redox Signal 7:276-86. 2005..This cellular effect was due to inhibition of specificity protein-1 (Sp1) binding to its DNA binding site...
- METALLOTHIONEIN IN REPRODUCTION AND DEVELOPMENTGlen Andrews; Fiscal Year: 2002..A testable hypothesis is that misexpression of MT will alter metal homeostasis during pregnancy causing increased sensitivity to dietary Zn deficiency and reduced sensitivity to Cd toxicity. ..
- Environmental Toxicology Using Transgenic ModelsGlen Andrews; Fiscal Year: 2005..Functions of MTF-l during development will be examined in Zebrafish using morpholino antisense oligonucleotides, whole mount in situ hybridization and morphometric analyses of developing embryos. ..
- Molecular Biology of Mammalian Zinc HomeostasisGlen Andrews; Fiscal Year: 2006..The co-I., Dr. Eide is an expert and leader in the field of ZIP transport function, and our collaborator, Dr. Palmiter is an expert in gene targeting in mice. ..