Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Th
Description: tyrosine hydroxylase
Alias: tyrosine 3-monooxygenase, tyrosine 3-hydroxylase
Publications179 found, 100 shown here
- A second independent pathway for development of mesencephalic dopaminergic neurons requires Lmx1bM P Smidt
Section of Molecular Neuroscience, Rudolf Magnus Institute for Neurosciences, Department of Medical Pharmacology, Medical Faculty, Utrecht University, Universiteitsweg 100, 3584 CG Utrecht, The Netherlands
Nat Neurosci 3:337-41. 2000..Although disruption of this cascade did not block induction of tyrosine hydroxylase (TH), a key enzyme in DA synthesis, or Nurr1, a nuclear hormone receptor, Lmx1b knockout mice failed to induce the mesDA-..
- Semaphorin 3F is a bifunctional guidance cue for dopaminergic axons and controls their fasciculation, channeling, rostral growth, and intracortical targetingSharon M Kolk
Department of Neuroscience and Pharmacology, Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, University Medical Center Utrecht, 3584 CG Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Neurosci 29:12542-57. 2009..mdDA pathway development using tissue culture approaches and analysis of sema3F(-/-), npn-2(-/-), and npn-2(-/-);TH-Cre mice...
- Pitx3 potentiates Nurr1 in dopamine neuron terminal differentiation through release of SMRT-mediated repressionFrank M J Jacobs
Department of Neuroscience and Pharmacology, University Medical Center Utrecht, Universiteitsweg 100, 3584 CG, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Development 136:531-40. 2009....
- Mice lacking alpha-synuclein display functional deficits in the nigrostriatal dopamine systemA Abeliovich
Department of Neurology, University of California, San Francisco 94143, USA
Neuron 25:239-52. 2000..These findings support the hypothesis that alpha-Syn is an essential presynaptic, activity-dependent negative regulator of DA neurotransmission...
- Dopamine neuron agenesis in Nurr1-deficient miceR H Zetterström
Department of Neuroscience, Karolinska Institute, S 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
Science 276:248-50. 1997..These results suggest that putative Nurr1 ligands may be useful for treatment of Parkinson's disease and other disorders of midbrain dopamine circuitry...
- Math1 is essential for the development of hindbrain neurons critical for perinatal breathingMatthew F Rose
Program in Developmental Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Neuron 64:341-54. 2009..This study identifies Math1-dependent neurons that are critical for perinatal breathing that may link proprioception and arousal with respiration...
- Onecut transcription factors are required for the second phase of development of the A13 dopaminergic nucleus in the mouseAgnès Espana
Universite Catholique de Louvain, Institute of Neuroscience, Laboratory of Neural Differentiation, Brussels, B 1200, Belgium
J Comp Neurol 520:1424-41. 2012..Hence, Onecut factors are markers of the A13 nucleus throughout embryonic development. They are dispensable for the first phase of A13 development but are required for the second phase of development and for maintenance of this nucleus...
- Pet-1 is required across different stages of life to regulate serotonergic functionChen Liu
Case Western Reserve University, School of Medicine, Department of Neurosciences, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Nat Neurosci 13:1190-8. 2010..These findings indicate that Pet-1 is required across the lifespan of the mouse and that behavioral pathogenesis can result from both developmental and adult-onset alterations in serotonergic transcription...
- Slit proteins prevent midline crossing and determine the dorsoventral position of major axonal pathways in the mammalian forebrainAnil Bagri
Department of Anatomy, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, CA, USA
Neuron 33:233-48. 2002....
- Identification of Dlk1, Ptpru and Klhl1 as novel Nurr1 target genes in meso-diencephalic dopamine neuronsFrank M J Jacobs
Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, Department of Neuroscience and Pharmacology, University Medical Center Utrecht, Universiteitsweg 100, 3584 CG, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Development 136:2363-73. 2009....
- Midbrain dopaminergic axons are guided longitudinally through the diencephalon by Slit/Robo signalsJames P Dugan
Department of Biology, University of Nevada, Reno, NV 89557, USA
Mol Cell Neurosci 46:347-56. 2011..test the potential roles of Slit/Robo guidance in ascending trajectories, we examined tyrosine hydroxylase-positive (TH+) projections from mdDA neurons in mutant mouse embryos...
- Sema3a maintains normal heart rhythm through sympathetic innervation patterningMasaki Ieda
Department of Regenerative Medicine and Advanced Cardiac Therapeutics, Keio University School of Medicine, 35 Shinanomachi, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 160 8582, Japan
Nat Med 13:604-12. 2007..We conclude that appropriate cardiac Sema3a expression is needed for sympathetic innervation patterning and is critical for heart rate control...
- Orphan nuclear receptor Nurr1 is essential for Ret expression in midbrain dopamine neurons and in the brain stemA Wallén A
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, Karolinska Institutet, S 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
Mol Cell Neurosci 18:649-63. 2001..In conclusion, regulation of Ret by Nurr1 in midbrain DA neurons and in the DMN has implications for both embryonal development and adult physiology in which signaling by neurotrophic factors plays important roles...
- EphB1 null mice exhibit neuronal loss in substantia nigra pars reticulata and spontaneous locomotor hyperactivityA Brent Richards
Department of Neuroscience, Georgetown University, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Eur J Neurosci 25:2619-28. 2007..In situ hybridization data and a direct comparison of SN neurons expressing tyrosine hydroxylase (TH) and/or the beta-gal marker for EphB1 revealed that EphB1 is not expressed in TH+ neurons of pars compacta (SNc), ..
- Retinoic acid counteracts developmental defects in the substantia nigra caused by Pitx3 deficiencyFrank M J Jacobs
Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, Department of Pharmacology and Anatomy, University Medical Center Utrecht, Universiteitsweg 100, 3584 CG Utrecht, The Netherlands
Development 134:2673-84. 2007..The number of tyrosine hydroxylase-positive (TH+) neurons was significantly increased after RA treatment in the rostral mdDA region of Pitx3-/- embryos...
- Uncx regulates proliferation of neural progenitor cells and neuronal survival in the olfactory epitheliumNeeraja Sammeta
Department of Physiology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40536 0298, USA
Mol Cell Neurosci 45:398-407. 2010..These data suggest that UNCX acts downstream of neural determination factors to broadly control transcriptional mechanisms used by neural progenitor cells to specify neural phenotypes...
- Foxa1 and Foxa2 positively and negatively regulate Shh signalling to specify ventral midbrain progenitor identityYannis E Mavromatakis
Division of Developmental Neurobiology, MRC National Institute for Medical Research, The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, London NW7 1AA, UK
Mech Dev 128:90-103. 2011..Altogether, these data indicate that Foxa1 and Foxa2 contribute to the specification of ventral midbrain progenitor identity by regulating Shh signalling in a positive and negative manner...
- Modular patterning of structure and function of the striatum by retinoid receptor signalingWen Lin Liao
Institute of Neuroscience, Center of Neuroscience, Department of Life Sciences, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan 112, Republic of China
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:6765-70. 2008..RARbeta signaling thus plays a crucial role in setting up striatal compartments that may engage in neural circuits of psychomotor control...
- Spatiotemporally separable Shh domains in the midbrain define distinct dopaminergic progenitor poolsMilan Joksimovic
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Department of Neurology and Center for Genetic Medicine, 7 113 Lurie Building, 303 East Superior Street, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:19185-90. 2009..This refined ontogenetic definition will expand understanding of dopamine neuron biology and selective susceptibility, and will impact stem cell-derived therapies and models for PD...
- The ErbB2 and ErbB3 receptors and their ligand, neuregulin-1, are essential for development of the sympathetic nervous systemS Britsch
Department of Medical Genetics, Max Delbruck Center MDC for Molecular Medicine, 13122 Berlin, Germany
Genes Dev 12:1825-36. 1998..Together with previous observations, these findings establish the neuregulin signaling system as a key regulator in the development of neural crest cells...
- Insm1 (IA-1) is a crucial component of the transcriptional network that controls differentiation of the sympatho-adrenal lineageHendrik Wildner
Max Delbrück Centrum for Molecular Medicine, Robert Rossle Strasse 10, 13125 Berlin, Germany
Development 135:473-81. 2008..of sympatho-adrenal precursors, as assessed by the expression of neuronal subtype-specific genes such as Th and Dbh, is delayed in a pronounced manner, which is accompanied by a reduced proliferation...
- The homeobox gene Phox2b is essential for the development of autonomic neural crest derivativesA Pattyn
Laboratoire de Genetique et Physiologie du Developpement, Developmental Biology Institute of Marseille, CNRS INSERM Université de la Méditterranée AP de Marseille, France
Nature 399:366-70. 1999....
- Shh dependent and independent maintenance of basal midbrainAriadna Perez-Balaguer
Instituto de Neurociencias de Alicante, CSIC and Universidad Miguel Hernandez, Sant Joan d Alacant, Spain
Mech Dev 126:301-13. 2009..Based on our results and recently published data, we suggest the existence of a specific genetic pathway for the specification of the mesencephalic red nucleus. Foxa2 could be the candidate gene that might control this genetic pathway...
- Wnt5a mediates nerve growth factor-dependent axonal branching and growth in developing sympathetic neuronsDaniel Bodmer
Department of Biology, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21218, USA
J Neurosci 29:7569-81. 2009..Together, our findings define a novel regulatory pathway in which Wnt5a, expressed in sympathetic neurons in response to target-derived NGF, regulates innervation of peripheral targets...
- Involvement of Nurr1 in specifying the neurotransmitter identity of ventral midbrain dopaminergic neuronsSimone M Smits
Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, Department of Pharmacology and Anatomy, University Medical Center Utrecht, Universiteitsweg 100, 3584 CG Utrecht, The Netherlands
Eur J Neurosci 18:1731-8. 2003..factors, is essential for establishing the dopaminergic phenotype, because expression of tyrosine hydroxylase (TH), the rate-limiting enzyme in dopamine synthesis, requires Nurr1...
- Transforming growth factor beta is required for differentiation of mouse mesencephalic progenitors into dopaminergic neurons in vitro and in vivo: ectopic induction in dorsal mesencephalonEleni Roussa
Department for Neuroanatomy, Georg August University, DFG Research Center of Molecular Physiology of the Brain, University of Gottingen, Kreuzbergring 36, D 37075 Gottingen, Germany
Stem Cells 24:2120-9. 2006..with transforming growth factor beta (TGF-beta) increased the number of Nurr1- and tyrosine hydroxylase (TH)-immunoreactive cells, which can be further increased when the spheres are treated with TGF-beta in combination with ..
- Hand2 determines the noradrenergic phenotype in the mouse sympathetic nervous systemYuka Morikawa
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Tulane University, 2000 Percival Stern Hall, New Orleans, LA 70118, USA
Dev Biol 307:114-26. 2007..noradrenergic differentiation, the levels of the norepinephrine biosynthetic enzymes, tyrosine hydroxylase (TH) and dopamine beta-hydroxylase (DBH) was examined...
- Foxa1 and Foxa2 regulate multiple phases of midbrain dopaminergic neuron development in a dosage-dependent mannerAnna L M Ferri
Division of Developmental Neurobiology, MRC National Institute for Medical Research, The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, London NW7 1AA, UK
Development 134:2761-9. 2007..Altogether, our results demonstrate that Foxa1 and Foxa2 regulate multiple phases of midbrain dopaminergic neuron development in a dosage-dependent manner...
- Expression of the neuronal calcium sensor protein NCS-1 in the developing mouse olfactory pathwayHelen B Treloar
Department of Neurosurgery, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8082, USA
J Comp Neurol 482:201-16. 2005..Together, these data suggest multiple and overlapping roles of NCS-1 in the developing and mature olfactory system...
- Insm1 (IA-1) is an essential component of the regulatory network that specifies monoaminergic neuronal phenotypes in the vertebrate hindbrainJohn Jacob
MRC National Institute for Medical Research, The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, London NW7 1AA, UK
Development 136:2477-85. 2009..Thus, Insm1 regulates the synthesis of distinct monoaminergic neurotransmitters by acting combinatorially with, or independently of, Ascl1 in specific monoaminergic populations...
- Dynamic expression and heterogeneous intracellular location of En-1 during late mouse embryonic developmentShan Chuan Zhong
Department of Histology and Embryology, Third Military Medical University, Chongqing, Republic of China
Cells Tissues Organs 191:289-300. 2010..These findings provided additional evidence that En-1 may be involved in the development of neural crest cells...
- Inactivation of Dicer1 in Steroidogenic factor 1-positive cells reveals tissue-specific requirement for Dicer1 in adrenal, testis, and ovaryChen Che J Huang
Department of Veterinary Biosciences, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL, USA
BMC Dev Biol 10:66. 2010..Mouse embryos lacking Dicer1 die in early embryogenesis. In this study, we investigated whether Dicer1 is required for development of adrenal, testis, and ovary in mouse embryos...
- Dynamic expression patterns of Nkx6.1 and Nkx6.2 in the developing mes-diencephalic basal plateJuan Antonio Moreno-Bravo
Instituto de Neurociencias de Alicante, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas, and Universidad Miguel Hernandez, Sant Joan d Alacant, Spain
Dev Dyn 239:2094-101. 2010..The nuclei integrated in this domain would be the rostral interstitial nucleus, the interstitial nucleus of Cajal, and a mesencephalic equivalent to these nuclei...
- Early developmental failure of substantia nigra dopamine neurons in mice lacking the homeodomain gene Pitx3Marten P Smidt
Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, Department of Pharmacology and Anatomy, University Medical Center, Universiteitsweg 100, 3584 CG Utrecht, The Netherlands
Development 131:1145-55. 2004..5, a time when tyrosine hydroxylase (Th) gene expression is initiated...
- Delayed dopaminergic neuron differentiation in Lrp6 mutant miceGoncalo Castelo-Branco
Laboratory of Molecular Neurobiology, Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Dev Dyn 239:211-21. 2010..5. Our results, therefore, suggest a role for Lrp6 in the onset of DA neuron development in the VM as well as a role in midbrain morphogenesis...
- Intricate regulation of tyrosine hydroxylase activity and gene expressionS C Kumer
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, The Bowman Gray School of Medicine, Wake Forest University, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157 1083, USA
J Neurochem 67:443-62. 1996....
- Evidence for intrinsic development of olfactory structures in Pax-6 mutant miceD Jimenez
Instituto Cajal C S I C, E 28002 Madrid, Spain
J Comp Neurol 428:511-26. 2000..The intrinsic mechanisms and environmental cues in the telencephalon could be sufficient to promote axonogenesis in the projection neurons of the OB and guide their axons in a lateral prospective tract, in the absence of olfactory axons...
- Dopamine depletion does not protect against acute 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine toxicity in vivoDaphne M Hasbani
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Neurosci 25:9428-33. 2005..These results suggest that DA does not contribute to acute MPTP toxicity in vivo...
- A Wnt1-regulated genetic network controls the identity and fate of midbrain-dopaminergic progenitors in vivoNilima Prakash
GSF National Research Center for Environment and Health, Technical University Munich, Institute of Developmental Genetics, Ingolstaedter Landstrasse 1, 85764 Munich Neuherberg, Germany
Development 133:89-98. 2006..They also suggest the Wnt1-controlled signaling pathway as a promising target for new therapeutic strategies in the treatment of Parkinson's disease...
- Dynamic temporal and cell type-specific expression of Wnt signaling components in the developing midbrainNina Rawal
Laboratory of Molecular Neurobiology, Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics, Karolinska Institute, Scheeles vag 1, A1 2, 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
Exp Cell Res 312:1626-36. 2006..in different cell types and examined neuronal-progenitor- or glial-enriched cultures and DA neurons isolated from TH-GFP reporter mice. We found that Fz8 is expressed at high levels in DA neurons at E11.5 and E13.5...
- Megane/Heslike is required for normal GABAergic differentiation in the mouse superior colliculusJordi Guimera
GSF National Research Center for Environment and Health, Institute of Developmental Genetics, 35 8006, Ingolstädter Landstrasse, 1, Neuherberg, Germany
Development 133:3847-57. 2006..Vertebrate h/E(spl)-related genes can no longer be regarded solely as a factors that confer generic neurogenic properties, but as key components for the subtype-neuronal identity in the mammalian CNS...
- A subpopulation of olfactory bulb GABAergic interneurons is derived from Emx1- and Dlx5/6-expressing progenitorsMinoree Kohwi
Department of Neurosurgery, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
J Neurosci 27:6878-91. 2007..We show that calretinin+, calbindin+, and dopaminergic (TH+) periglomerular OB interneurons correspond to distinct subtypes of GABAergic cells; all were produced in the ..
- Mice deficient in the orphan receptor steroidogenic factor 1 lack adrenal glands and gonads but express P450 side-chain-cleavage enzyme in the placenta and have normal embryonic serum levels of corticosteroidsY Sadovsky
Department of Pathology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 92:10939-43. 1995..These results confirm that SF-1 is an important regulator of adrenal and gonadal development, but its regulation of steroid hydroxylase expression in vivo remains to be established...
- Mammalian achaete-scute homolog 1 is required for the early development of olfactory and autonomic neuronsF Guillemot
Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Canada
Cell 75:463-76. 1993..These observations suggest that Mash-1, like its Drosophila homologs of the AS-C, controls a basic operation in development of neuronal progenitors in distinct neural lineages...
- Loss of Nkx2.1 homeobox gene function results in a ventral to dorsal molecular respecification within the basal telencephalon: evidence for a transformation of the pallidum into the striatumL Sussel
Center for Neurobiology and Psychiatry, Department of Psychiatry and University of California at San Francisco, CA 94143 0984, USA
Development 126:3359-70. 1999..We present evidence that these phenotypes result from a ventral-to-dorsal transformation of the pallidal primordium into a striatal-like anlage...
- Frizzled-3 is required for the development of major fiber tracts in the rostral CNSYanshu Wang
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
J Neurosci 22:8563-73. 2002..In contrast, there is little cell death, as assayed by terminal deoxynucleotidyl transferase-mediated biotinylated UTP nick end labeling, in the cortex. These data provide the first link between Frizzled signaling and axonal development...
- Endothelin-1 regulates cardiac sympathetic innervation in the rodent heart by controlling nerve growth factor expressionMasaki Ieda
Cardiopulmonary Division, Department of Internal Medicine, Keio University School of Medicine, Tookyo, Japan
J Clin Invest 113:876-84. 2004..These findings indicate that endothelin-1 regulates NGF expression in cardiomyocytes and plays a critical role in sympathetic innervation of the heart...
- Engrailed genes are cell-autonomously required to prevent apoptosis in mesencephalic dopaminergic neuronsLavinia Alberi
Department of Neuroanatomy, Interdisciplinary Center of Neuroscience, University of Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 307, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Development 131:3229-36. 2004..This rapid induction of cell death in mDA neurons suggests that the engrailed genes participate directly in the regulation of apoptosis, a proposed mechanism for Parkinson's disease...
- AML1/Runx1 is important for the development of hindbrain cholinergic branchiovisceral motor neurons and selected cranial sensory neuronsFrancesca M Theriault
Center for Neuronal Survival, Montreal Neurological Institute, McGill University, Montreal, QC, Canada H3A 2B4
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:10343-8. 2004..Runx1 inactivation also leads to a loss of selected sensory neurons in trigeminal and vestibulocochlear ganglia. These findings uncover previously unrecognized roles for Runx1 in the regulation of mammalian neuronal subtype development...
- Lack of an adrenal cortex in Sf1 mutant mice is compatible with the generation and differentiation of chromaffin cellsPhilipp Gut
Neuroanatomy and Interdisciplinary Center for Neurosciences IZN of Heidelberg, INF 307, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Development 132:4611-9. 2005..5. However, already at E12.5 the 'adrenal' region in Sf1-/- mice is occupied by fewer PHOX2B+ and TH+ SA cells as well as SOX10+ neural crest cells...
- Adrenal development is initiated by Cited2 and Wt1 through modulation of Sf-1 dosagePierre Val
Section of Gene Function and Regulation, Institute of Cancer Research, 237 Fulham Road, London SW3 6JB, UK
Development 134:2349-58. 2007..These results highlight the importance of transcription factor dosage in organogenesis and the role of transcription co-factors such as Cited2 in determining the levels of these factors...
- Delta-like 1 participates in the specification of ventral midbrain progenitor derived dopaminergic neuronsMatthias Bauer
GSF National Research Center for Environment and Health, Institute of Human Genetics, Munich Neuherberg, Germany
J Neurochem 104:1101-15. 2008..5 (E11.5) followed by exclusive expression in tyrosine 3-monooxygenase (TH) positive neurons from E12.5 onwards...
- Tyrosine hydroxylase-positive GABAergic juxtaglomerular neurons are the main source of the interglomerular connections in the mouse main olfactory bulbToshio Kosaka
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Neurosci Res 60:349-54. 2008..Thus, the long interglomerular connections were mainly made by a particular type of dopaminergic-GABAergic juxtaglomerular neurons...
- Alpha-synuclein aggregation alters tyrosine hydroxylase phosphorylation and immunoreactivity: lessons from viral transduction of knockout miceTshianda N M Alerte
Department of Neurology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15260, United States
Neurosci Lett 435:24-9. 2008Tyrosine hydroxylase (TH), the rate limiting enzyme in catecholamine synthesis, is frequently used as a marker of dopaminergic neuronal loss in animal models of Parkinson's disease (PD)...
- Development of satellite glia in mouse sympathetic ganglia: GDNF and GFR alpha 1 are not essentialThomas Callahan
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010, Australia
Glia 56:1428-37. 2008..was examined by localizing the transcription factors, Sox10 and Phox2b, the neuronal marker, tyrosine hydroxylase (TH), and brain-derived fatty acid binding protein (B-FABP), which identifies glial precursors and mature glia. In E10...
- Wnt5a regulates ventral midbrain morphogenesis and the development of A9-A10 dopaminergic cells in vivoEmma R Andersson
Laboratory of Molecular Neurobiology, Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
PLoS ONE 3:e3517. 2008..and flattened, a typical CE phenotype, and the domains occupied by Ngn2+ DA progenitors, NR4A2+ DA precursors and TH+ DA neurons were rostrocaudally reduced and laterally expanded...
- Altered visual function and interneuron survival in Atrx knockout mice: inference for the human syndromeChantal F Medina
Regenerative Medicine, Ottawa Health Research Institute, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1H 8L6
Hum Mol Genet 18:966-77. 2009..These results implicate a role for Atrx in interneuron survival and differentiation...
- Targeted disruption of Sonic Hedgehog in the mouse adrenal leads to adrenocortical hypoplasiaSaunders Ching
Department of Human Genetics, University of California, Los Angeles, California, USA
Genesis 47:628-37. 2009..Taken together, these results establish a direct role for Shh signaling in normal adrenal development...
- Progenitor cell expansion and organ size of mouse adrenal is regulated by sonic hedgehogChen Che Jeff Huang
Department of Veterinary Biosciences, University of Illinois, 2001 South Lincoln Avenue, Urbana, Illinois 61802, USA
Endocrinology 151:1119-28. 2010..Our results not only provide the genetic evidence to support that the adrenal capsule contributes to the growth of adrenocortex in both fetal and adult life but also identify a novel role of Shh in this process...
- Dopamine-deficient mice are severely hypoactive, adipsic, and aphagicQ Y Zhou
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Biochemistry, University of Washington, Seattle 98195 7370, USA
Cell 83:1197-209. 1995..synthesize dopamine (DA) specifically in dopaminergic neurons were created by inactivating the tyrosine hydroxylase (TH) gene then by restoring TH function in noradrenergic cells...
- TrkA, but not TrkC, receptors are essential for survival of sympathetic neurons in vivoA M Fagan
Department of Molecular Oncology, Bristol Myers Squibb Pharmaceutical Research Institute, Princeton, New Jersey 08543, USA
J Neurosci 16:6208-18. 1996..Moreover, these observations raise the possibility that at least some SCG neurons become neurotrophin-dependent before complete target innervation...
- Sequence and comparative analysis of the mouse 1-megabase region orthologous to the human 11p15 imprinted domainP Onyango
Institute of Genetic Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Genome Res 10:1697-710. 2000..This study provides the first global view of the architecture of an entire imprinted domain and provides candidate sequence elements for subsequent functional analyses...
- Fate of midbrain dopaminergic neurons controlled by the engrailed genesH H Simon
Molecular Neurobiology Laboratory, The Salk Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Neurosci 21:3126-34. 2001..However, the engrailed genes control the survival of midbrain dopaminergic neurons in a gene dose-dependent manner. Our findings also suggest a link between engrailed and Parkinson's disease...
- Requirement of neuropilin 1-mediated Sema3A signals in patterning of the sympathetic nervous systemTakahiko Kawasaki
Group of Developmental Neurobiology, Division of Biological Science, Nagoya University Graduate School of Science, Chikusa ku, Nagoya 464 8602, Japan
Development 129:671-80. 2002....
- Developmental timing of hair follicle and dorsal skin innervation in miceEva M J Peters
Department of Dermatology, University Hospital Eppendorf, University of Hamburg, Hamburg D 20246, Germany
J Comp Neurol 448:28-52. 2002..This sequence of developing innervation consistently correlates with hair follicle development, indicating a close interdependence of neuronal and epithelial morphogenesis...
- A role for midbrain arcs in nucleogenesisSeema Agarwala
Department of Neurobiology, Pharmacology and Physiology, The University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Development 129:5779-88. 2002..Taken together, these findings suggest that arcs represent a patterning mechanism by which midbrain progenitor cells are allocated to specific nuclear fates...
- Lack of Reelin causes malpositioning of nigral dopaminergic neurons: evidence from comparison of normal and Reln(rl) mutant miceShigeyuki Nishikawa
Laboratory of Neurobiology, Department of Neurosurgery, Kumamoto University Medical School, Kumamoto 860 8556, 1 1 1 Honjo, Japan
J Comp Neurol 461:166-73. 2003..We hypothesize that Reelin plays a role in the positioning of nigral dopaminergic neurons and that it can act as an environmental cue at a remote site far from its birthplace via a transaxonal delivery system...
- Location and size of dopaminergic and serotonergic cell populations are controlled by the position of the midbrain-hindbrain organizerClaude Brodski
Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry, 80804 Munich, Germany, and GSF National Research Center for Environment and Health, Technical University Munich, Institute of Developmental Genetics, 85758 Oberschleissheim, Germany
J Neurosci 23:4199-207. 2003..In addition, our data suggest that the position of the MHO during embryogenesis can modulate adult locomotor activity...
- Aberrant trajectory of ascending dopaminergic pathway in mice lacking Nkx2.1Hitoshi Kawano
Department of Developmental Morphology, Tokyo Metropolitan Institute for Neuroscience, 2 6 Musashidai, Fuchu, 183 8526, Japan
Exp Neurol 182:103-12. 2003..1-deficient mice, the abnormal crossing of ascending DA axons observed may be attributed to the elimination of these chemorepulsive signals in the medial part of the mutant hypothalamus...
- Heterogeneous requirement of NGF for sympathetic target innervation in vivoNatalia O Glebova
Department of Neuroscience, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
J Neurosci 24:743-51. 2004..Remarkably, target organs vary widely in their individual NGF requirements for sympathetic innervation...
- Essential role of Gata transcription factors in sympathetic neuron developmentKonstantina Tsarovina
Max Planck Institut für Hirnforschung, Abteilung Neurochemie, Deutschordenstr 46, 60528 Frankfurt Main, Germany
Development 131:4775-86. 2004..starts after Mash1, Phox2b, Hand2 and Phox2a expression, but before the onset of the noradrenergic marker genes Th and Dbh, and is maintained throughout development...
- Transgenic expression of Cre recombinase from the tyrosine hydroxylase locusJonas Lindeberg
Department of Neuroscience, Developmental Neuroscience Unit, Uppsala University, Biomedical Center, SE 751 23 Uppsala, Sweden
Genesis 40:67-73. 2004Catecholaminergic neurons are affected in several neurological and psychiatric diseases. Tyrosine hydroxylase (TH) is the first, rate-limiting enzyme in catecholamine synthesis...
- Neurogenin 2 is required for the development of ventral midbrain dopaminergic neuronsJulianna Kele
Laboratory of Molecular Neurobiology, MBB, Karolinska Institutet, Retzius building A1, Stockholm, Sweden
Development 133:495-505. 2006..These results demonstrate that Ngn2 is uniquely required for the development of midbrain dopaminergic neurons...
- Loss of leukemia inhibitory factor receptor beta or cardiotrophin-1 causes similar deficits in preganglionic sympathetic neurons and adrenal medullaStephan Oberle
Neuroanatomy and Interdisciplinary Center for Neurosciences, University of Heidelberg, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
J Neurosci 26:1823-32. 2006..Thus, both somatic motoneurons and PSNs in the spinal cord depend on LIFRbeta signaling for their development and maintenance, although PSNs seem to be overall less affected than somatic motoneurons by LIFRbeta deprivation...
- Mash1 is required for generic and subtype differentiation of hypothalamic neuroendocrine cellsDavid E G McNay
Division of Developmental Neurobiology, Medical Research Council, The National Institute of Medical Research, Mill Hill, London NW7 1AA, UK
Mol Endocrinol 20:1623-32. 2006..and subsequent GHRH expression, positively regulates SF1 expression, and suppresses both tyrosine hydroxylase (TH) and neuropeptide Y (NPY) expression...
- Sonic hedgehog regulates Gli activator and repressor functions with spatial and temporal precision in the mid/hindbrain regionSandra Blaess
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Developmental Genetics Program, Skirball Institute of Biomolecular Medicine, 540 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016, USA
Development 133:1799-809. 2006..Thus, the precise spatial and temporal regulation of Gli2A and Gli3R by Shh is instrumental in coordinating mid/hindbrain development in three dimensions...
- Cre recombinase-mediated restoration of nigrostriatal dopamine in dopamine-deficient mice reverses hypophagia and bradykinesiaThomas S Hnasko
Graduate Program in Neurobiology and Behavior, Department of Biochemistry, and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:8858-63. 2006..These DD floxed stop (DDfs) mice have a nonfunctional Tyrosine hydroxylase (Th) gene because of insertion of a NeoR gene flanked by lox P sites targeted to the first intron of the Th gene...
- Requirement for Bhlhb5 in the specification of amacrine and cone bipolar subtypes in mouse retinaLiang Feng
Center for Aging and Developmental Biology, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Development 133:4815-25. 2006..Our results reveal that a bHLH transcription factor cascade is involved in regulating retinal cell differentiation and imply that Bhlhb5 functions downstream of retinogenic factors to specify bipolar and amacrine subtypes...
- Essential function of HIPK2 in TGFbeta-dependent survival of midbrain dopamine neuronsJiasheng Zhang
Department of Pathology, University of California San Francisco, 505 Parnassus Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Nat Neurosci 10:77-86. 2007..These data underscore the importance of the TGFbeta-Smad-HIPK2 pathway in the survival of DA neurons and its potential as a therapeutic target for promoting DA neuron survival during neurodegeneration...
- Differences in neurogenic potential in floor plate cells along an anteroposterior location: midbrain dopaminergic neurons originate from mesencephalic floor plate cellsYuichi Ono
KAN Research Institute Inc, KobeMI R and D Center 6 7 3 Minatojima minamimachi, Chuo Ku, Kobe, Hyogo 650 0047, Japan
Development 134:3213-25. 2007..Our data provide insights into the mechanisms of specification and generation of mesDA neurons, and illustrate a useful cell replacement approach for Parkinson's disease...
- Conditional deletion of Hand2 reveals critical functions in neurogenesis and cell type-specific gene expression for development of neural crest-derived noradrenergic sympathetic ganglion neuronsTyler J Hendershot
Department of Neurosciences, Program in Neurosciences and Degenerative Disease, University of Toledo Health Sciences Center, Toledo, OH 43614, USA
Dev Biol 319:179-91. 2008..disruption of Hand2 results in a significant and progressive loss of neurons as well as a significant loss of TH expression...
- Targeted disruption of beta-catenin in Sf1-expressing cells impairs development and maintenance of the adrenal cortexAlex C Kim
Department of Medicine, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0678 USA
Development 135:2593-602. 2008..These results define crucial roles for beta-catenin--presumably as part of the Wnt canonical signaling pathway--in both embryonic development of the adrenal cortex and in maintenance of the adult organ...
- Wnt antagonism of Shh facilitates midbrain floor plate neurogenesisMilan Joksimovic
Northwestern University Feinberg Medical School, Department of Neurology and Center for Genetic Medicine, 7 113 Lurie Bldg, 303 E Superior Street, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Nat Neurosci 12:125-31. 2009..These findings demonstrate how the dynamic interplay of canonical Wnt/beta-catenin signaling and Shh may orchestrate floor plate neurogenesis or a lack thereof...
- Gene regulatory logic of dopamine neuron differentiationNuria Flames
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, New York 10032, USA
Nature 458:885-9. 2009..Our studies reveal a simple and apparently conserved regulatory logic of dopamine neuron terminal differentiation and may provide new entry points into the diagnosis or therapy of conditions in which dopamine neurons are defective...
- Multiple roles of beta-catenin in controlling the neurogenic niche for midbrain dopamine neuronsMianzhi Tang
VA Medical Center and Department of Pathology, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94121, USA
Development 136:2027-38. 2009..By contrast, Th-IRES-Cre removes beta-catenin in a subset of neural progenitor cells without perturbing the cellular and structural ..
- Foxa1 and Foxa2 function both upstream of and cooperatively with Lmx1a and Lmx1b in a feedforward loop promoting mesodiencephalic dopaminergic neuron developmentWei Lin
Division of Developmental Neurobiology, MRC National Institute for Medical Research, The Ridgeway, London, NW7 1AA, UK
Dev Biol 333:386-96. 2009..Chromatin immunoprecipitation experiments indicate that Nkx2.2 and TH genes are likely direct targets of Foxa1 and Foxa2 in mesodiencephalic dopaminergic cells in vivo...
- Sonic hedgehog is a chemoattractant for midbrain dopaminergic axonsRachel Hammond
Department of Pathology, Center for Neurobiology and Behavior and Taub Institute, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York, United States of America
PLoS ONE 4:e7007. 2009..Furthermore, Shh signaling is involved in determining the structural diversity of these dopaminergic projections...
- Lmx1a and Lmx1b cooperate with Foxa2 to coordinate the specification of dopaminergic neurons and control of floor plate cell differentiation in the developing mesencephalonTomoya Nakatani
KAN Research Institute Inc, Kobe MI R and D Center, 6 7 3 Minatojima minamimachi, Chuo Ku, Kobe, Hyogo 650 0047, Japan
Dev Biol 339:101-13. 2010....
- Sequential requirement of Sox4 and Sox11 during development of the sympathetic nervous systemMichaela R Potzner
Institut fur Biochemie, Emil Fischer Zentrum, Universitat Erlangen Nurnberg, 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Development 137:775-84. 2010..As a consequence, sympathetic ganglia were rudimentary in the adult and sympathetic innervation of target tissues was impaired leading to severe dysautonomia...
- Peri-pubertal emergence of UNC-5 homologue expression by dopamine neurons in rodentsColleen Manitt
Department of Psychiatry, Douglas Mental Health University Institute, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
PLoS ONE 5:e11463. 2010..Together, our findings suggest that DCC:UNC5H ratios in DA neurons at critical periods may have important consequences for the organization and function of mesocorticolimbic DA systems...
- Wnt/planar cell polarity signaling controls the anterior-posterior organization of monoaminergic axons in the brainstemAli G Fenstermaker
University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
J Neurosci 30:16053-64. 2010..Overall, our data suggest that Wnt/planar cell polarity signaling may be a global anterior-posterior guidance mechanism that controls axonal and cellular organization beyond the spinal cord...
- Isoform-specific dephosphorylation of dynamin1 by calcineurin couples neurotrophin receptor endocytosis to axonal growthDaniel Bodmer
Department of Biology, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21218, USA
Neuron 70:1085-99. 2011..Thus, NGF-dependent phosphoregulation of dynamin1 is a critical event coordinating neurotrophin receptor endocytosis and axonal growth...
- Molecular organization and timing of Wnt1 expression define cohorts of midbrain dopamine neuron progenitors in vivoAshly Brown
Department of Neuroscience, Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island 02903, USA
J Comp Neurol 519:2978-3000. 2011..5 and E11.5. Collectively, our findings delineate the temporal window of MbDA neuron generation and show that lineage and timing predicts the terminal distribution pattern of MbDA neurons...
- Retinoic acid-dependent and -independent gene-regulatory pathways of Pitx3 in meso-diencephalic dopaminergic neuronsFrank M J Jacobs
Rudolf Magnus Institute, Department of Neuroscience and Pharmacology, UMC Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Development 138:5213-22. 2011..Whereas all mdDA neurons require Nurr1 for expression of Th and survival, dependence on Pitx3 is displayed only by the mdDA subpopulation that will form the substantia nigra (..
- Lmx1a is an activator of Rgs4 and Grb10 and is responsible for the correct specification of rostral and medial mdDA neuronsElisa J Hoekstra
Neuroscience and Pharmacology, Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Eur J Neurosci 37:23-32. 2013..Taken together, microarray analysis of an LMX1A-overexpression cell system resulted in the identification of novel direct or indirect downstream targets of Lmx1a in mdDA neurons: Grb10, Rgs4 and Vmat2...
- Lmx1a encodes a rostral set of mesodiencephalic dopaminergic neurons marked by the Wnt/B-catenin signaling activator R-spondin 2Elisa J Hoekstra
Swammerdam Institute for Life Sciences, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands Neuroscience and Pharmacology, Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 8:e74049. 2013....
- An O2-sensitive glomus cell-stem cell synapse induces carotid body growth in chronic hypoxiaAida Platero-Luengo
Departamento de Fisiologia Medica y Biofisica, Instituto de Biomedicina de Sevilla IBiS, Hospital Universitario Virgen del Rocío CSIC Universidad de Sevilla, 41013 Seville, Spain
Cell 156:291-303. 2014..Thus, glomus cells not only acutely activate the respiratory center but also induce NSC-dependent CB hypertrophy necessary for acclimatization to chronic hypoxemia. ..
- Targeted disruption of the tyrosine hydroxylase gene reveals that catecholamines are required for mouse fetal developmentQ Y Zhou
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of Washington, Seattle 98195, USA
Nature 374:640-3. 1995..Without further treatment, however, they die before weaning. We conclude that catecholamines are essential for mouse fetal development and postnatal survival...
- Nurr1 is essential for the induction of the dopaminergic phenotype and the survival of ventral mesencephalic late dopaminergic precursor neuronsO Saucedo-Cardenas
Department of Cell Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, 1 Baylor Plaza, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95:4013-8. 1998..Taken together, these data indicate that Nurr1 is essential for both survival and final differentiation of ventral mesencephalic late dopaminergic precursor neurons into a complete dopaminergic phenotype...
- Viral gene delivery selectively restores feeding and prevents lethality of dopamine-deficient miceM S Szczypka
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Biochemistry, University of Washington, Seattle 98195, USA
Neuron 22:167-78. 1999Dopamine-deficient mice (DA-/- ), lacking tyrosine hydroxylase (TH) in dopaminergic neurons, become hypoactive and aphagic and die by 4 weeks of age...
- Sequence-ready 1-Mb YAC, BAC and cosmid contigs covering the distal imprinted region of mouse chromosome 7R Kato
Department of Integrated Genetics, National Institute of Genetics and Graduate University for Advanced Studies, Mishima, Shizuoka, Japan
DNA Res 6:401-5. 1999....
- The Role of Id2 in Adult NeurogenesisMATTHEW HAVRDA; Fiscal Year: 2008..These experiments are immediately relevant to realization of the therapeutic potential of these unique cells. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MAPPING OF ALCOHOL PREFERENCE GENES IN RQI STRAINSCsaba Vadasz; Fiscal Year: 2002..Identification of a <1 cM region will allow the identification of candidate genes and ESTs. We will map each identified and confirmed QTL. ..
- PIONEER AXON GUIDANCE IN THE EMBRYONIC FOREBRAINGRANT MASTICK; Fiscal Year: 2004..In addition, the mechanisms of axon growth during development may give insight into how regeneration of the nervous system may be stimulated following trauma or disease. ..
- Role of Pitx2 in the Mammalian Central Nervous SystemDonna Martin; Fiscal Year: 2005..5-14.5) mouse diencephalon, 2) Develop and analyze mice with Pitx2 loss of function, and 3) Develop and analyze transgenic mice with CNS-specific Pitx2 gain of function. ..
- Pitx2 Function in Developing Mouse Brain NeuronsDonna M Martin; Fiscal Year: 2010..These results will help guide future experiments aimed at directing neural stem cell differentiation toward specific neuronal cell subtypes. ..
- Longitudinal axon guidance by long range cues in the embryonic brainGRANT STEPHEN MASTICK; Fiscal Year: 2011....