Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Gja1
Description: gap junction protein, alpha 1
Alias: Cx43, gap junction alpha-1 protein, connexin 43, gap junction 43 kDa heart protein, gap junction membrane channel protein alpha 1
Publications139 found, 100 shown here
- HIF-1 and c-Src mediate increased glucose uptake induced by endothelin-1 and connexin43 in astrocytesJosé Carlos Valle-Casuso
Departamento de Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular, Instituto de Neurociencias de Castilla y Leon INCYL, Universidad de Salamanca, Salamanca, Spain
PLoS ONE 7:e32448. 2012..We previously reported that these effects of ET-1 are mediated by connexin43 (Cx43), the major gap junction protein in astrocytes...
- Cx43 associates with Na(v)1.5 in the cardiomyocyte perinexusJ Matthew Rhett
Department of Regenerative Medicine, Medical University of South Carolina, 173 Ashley Ave, CRI Room 616, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
J Membr Biol 245:411-22. 2012..The GJ channels of ventricular myocytes are composed of connexin43 (Cx43)...
- Direct association of the gap junction protein connexin-43 with ZO-1 in cardiac myocytesT Toyofuku
Department of Medicine and Pathophysiology, Osaka University Medical School, 2 2 Yamada oka, Suita, Osaka 565, Japan
J Biol Chem 273:12725-31. 1998..We therefore conclude that the linkage between connexin-43 and alpha-spectrin, via ZO-1, may serve to localize connexin-43 at the intercalated discs, thereby generating functional gap junctions in cardiac myocytes...
- Connexin 43 interacts with zona occludens-1 and -2 proteins in a cell cycle stage-specific mannerDeepika Singh
Division of Public Health Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98109, USA
J Biol Chem 280:30416-21. 2005..as a screen to identify proteins from cell lysates that interact with the C-terminal cytoplasmic region of connexin 43 (Cx43)...
- Molecular dynamics and in vitro analysis of Connexin43: A new 14-3-3 mode-1 interacting proteinDarren J Park
Natural Products and Cancer Biology Program, Cancer Research Center of Hawaii, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813, USA
Protein Sci 15:2344-55. 2006The interaction of cellular proteins with the gap junction protein Connexin43 (Cx43) is thought to form a dynamic scaffolding complex that functions as a platform for the assembly of signaling, structural, and cytoskeletal proteins...
- Akt phosphorylates Connexin43 on Ser373, a "mode-1" binding site for 14-3-3Darren J Park
Natural Products and Cancer Biology Program, Cancer Research Center, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813, USA
Cell Commun Adhes 14:211-26. 2007Connexin43 (Cx43) is a membrane-spanning protein that forms channels that bridge the gap between adjacent cells and this allows for the intercellular exchange of information...
- Connexin43: a protein from rat heart homologous to a gap junction protein from liverE C Beyer
Department of Anatomy and Cellular Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts
J Cell Biol 105:2621-9. 1987..The gap junction protein isolated from liver would then be called connexin32; from heart, connexin43...
- Multisubunit assembly of an integral plasma membrane channel protein, gap junction connexin43, occurs after exit from the ERL S Musil
Department of Cell Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115
Cell 74:1065-77. 1993Connexin43 (Cx43) is an integral plasma membrane protein that forms gap junctions between vertebrate cells...
- Regulation of connexin43 expression by c-fos and c-jun in myometrial cellsJ A Mitchell
Program in Development and Fetal Health, Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Canada
Cell Commun Adhes 8:299-302. 2001Labor is associated with a dramatic increase in the myometrial expression of connexin43 (Cx43) which is thought to mediate myocyte contractile coupling...
- Connexin 43 (GJA1) mutations cause the pleiotropic phenotype of oculodentodigital dysplasiaWilliam A Paznekas
Department of Pediatrics, Center for Craniofacial Development and Disorders, McKusick Nathans Institute of Genetic Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Am J Hum Genet 72:408-18. 2003..The human connexin 43 gene, or GJA1, is located at human chromosome 6q22-q23 within the candidate region for the oculodentodigital ..
- Gap junction remodeling and altered connexin43 expression in the failing human heartSawa Kostin
Department of Experimental Cardiology, Max Planck Institute, Bad Nauheim, Germany
Mol Cell Biochem 242:135-44. 2003..However, it is largely unknown whether changes in the expression and distribution of the major cardiac GJ protein, Cx43, is a general feature of diverse chronic myocardial diseases or is confined to some particular pathophysiological ..
- Increased connexin43-mediated intercellular communication in a rat model of bladder overactivity in vivoGeorge J Christ
Departments of Urology and Physiology and Biophysics, Institute for Smooth Muscle Biology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 284:R1241-8. 2003..The goal of these studies was to evaluate the role of intercellular communication through connexin43 (Cx43)-derived gap junction channels to bladder overactivity following partial urethral outflow obstruction of 3-day to 6-..
- Epidermal growth factor receptor is a common mediator of quinone-induced signaling leading to phosphorylation of connexin-43: role of glutathione and tyrosine phosphatasesKotb Abdelmohsen
Institut fur Biochemie und Molekularbiologie I, Heinrich Heine Universitat Dusseldorf, D 40225 Dusseldorf, Germany
J Biol Chem 278:38360-7. 2003..In summary, EGFR-dependent signaling was mediated by protein-tyrosine phosphatase inactivation (menadione), GSH depletion (BQ), and redox-cycling (DMNQ), funneling into the same signaling pathway...
- Mechanism of regulation of the gap junction protein connexin 43 by protein kinase C-mediated phosphorylationXiaoyong Bao
Sealy Center for Structural Biology and Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555 0437, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 286:C647-54. 2004Phosphorylation of the gap junction protein connexin 43 (Cx43) by protein kinase C (PKC) decreases dye coupling in many cell types...
- Epidermal growth factor regulates ubiquitination, internalization and proteasome-dependent degradation of connexin43Edward Leithe
Institute for Cancer Research at The Norwegian Radium Hospital, N 0310 Oslo, Norway
J Cell Sci 117:1211-20. 2004Connexins are membrane-spanning proteins that form gap junction channels between adjacent cells. Connexin43 (Cx43), the most widely expressed member of the connexin family in tissues and cell lines, has a rapid turnover rate and its ..
- Regulation of connexin biosynthesis, assembly, gap junction formation, and removalDominique Segretain
INSERM EMI 00 09, Universite de Paris V, 45 rue des Saint Peres, 75006 Paris, France
Biochim Biophys Acta 1662:3-21. 2004....
- Ubiquitination and down-regulation of gap junction protein connexin-43 in response to 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol 13-acetate treatmentEdward Leithe
Institute for Cancer Research at The Norwegian Radium Hospital, N 0310 Oslo, Norway
J Biol Chem 279:50089-96. 2004..the tumor-promoting phorbol ester 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol 13-acetate (TPA) induces ubiquitination of connexin-43 (Cx43) in IAR20 rat liver epithelial cells...
- Chronic endothelin exposure inhibits connexin43 expression in cultured cortical astrogliaJoanna Rozyczka
Institute of Anatomy, University of Leipzig, Medical Faculty, Leipzig, Germany
J Neurosci Res 79:303-9. 2005..We further observed that in the continuous presence of ETs, Cx43 expression remained inhibited for at least 7 days...
- Efferent vagal nerve stimulation protects heart against ischemia-induced arrhythmias by preserving connexin43 proteinMotonori Ando
Department of Cardiovascular Control, Kochi Medical School, Nankoku, Kochi, Japan
Circulation 112:164-70. 2005..Vagal nerve stimulation has been postulated to contribute to the antifibrillatory effect. Here, we suggest a novel mechanism for the antiarrhythmogenic properties of vagal stimulation during acute MI...
- A Gja1 missense mutation in a mouse model of oculodentodigital dysplasiaAnn M Flenniken
Centre for Modeling Human Disease, Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario M5G 1X5, Canada
Development 132:4375-86. 2005..that was shown recently to be caused by mutations in the gap junction protein alpha 1 gene (GJA1), encoding connexin 43 (Cx43)...
- Zonula occludens-1 alters connexin43 gap junction size and organization by influencing channel accretionAndrew W Hunter
Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, Cardiovascular Developmental Biology Center, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Mol Biol Cell 16:5686-98. 2005..Here, we show that zonula occludens (ZO)-1 localizes preferentially to the periphery of connexin43 (Cx43) GJ plaques...
- Selectivity of connexin 43 channels is regulated through protein kinase C-dependent phosphorylationJose F Ek-Vitorin
Department of Physiology, University of Arizona, Tucson 85724, USA
Circ Res 98:1498-505. 2006..of the heart and resistance to ischemic injury depend, in part, on the intercellular communication mediated by Cx43-composed gap junctions...
- Ubiquitin protein ligase Nedd4 binds to connexin43 by a phosphorylation-modulated processKerstin Leykauf
Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum, Im Neuenheimer Feld 242, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
J Cell Sci 119:3634-42. 2006..Suppression of Nedd4 expression with siRNA resulted in an accumulation of gap junction plaques at the plasma membrane, suggesting an involvement of the ubiquitin protein ligase Nedd4 in gap junction internalization...
- The muscle-specific microRNA miR-1 regulates cardiac arrhythmogenic potential by targeting GJA1 and KCNJ2Baofeng Yang
Department of Pharmacology State Province Key Laboratories of Biomedicine Pharmaceutics of China, Harbin Medical University, Harbin, Heilongjiang 150086, China
Nat Med 13:486-91. 2007..1) and GJA1 (which encodes connexin 43), and this likely accounts at least in part for its arrhythmogenic potential...
- Altered expression of gap junction connexin proteins may partly underlie heart rhythm disturbances in the streptozotocin-induced diabetic rat heartF C Howarth
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, United Arab Emirates University, P O Box 17666, Al Ain, UAE
Mol Cell Biochem 305:145-51. 2007..Expression levels of mRNA for Gja5 (Cx40), Gja1 (Cx43) and Gja7 (Cx45) were measured in SAN and compared with right atrium and right ventricle with real-time ..
- Connexin levels regulate keratinocyte differentiation in the epidermisStephanie Langlois
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, The University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, N6A 5C1, Canada
J Biol Chem 282:30171-80. 2007To understand the role of connexin43 (Cx43) in epidermal differentiation, we reduced Cx43 levels by RNA-mediated interference knockdown and impaired its functional status by overexpressing loss-of-function Cx43 mutants associated with the ..
- Gap junction adhesion is necessary for radial migration in the neocortexLaura A B Elias
Neuroscience Graduate Program, University of California San Francisco, 513 Parnassus Avenue, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Nature 448:901-7. 2007..Here we show that the gap junction subunits connexin 26 (Cx26) and connexin 43 (Cx43) are expressed at the contact points between radial fibres and migrating neurons, and acute ..
- Connexin43 enhances glioma invasion by a mechanism involving the carboxy terminusDave C Bates
Department of Cellular and Physiological Sciences, The University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Glia 55:1554-64. 2007..The neoplastic changes of astrocytes which give rise to these tumors frequently include a reduction of connexin43 (Cx43), the most abundant connexin isoform expressed in astrocytes...
- Caveolin-1 and -2 interact with connexin43 and regulate gap junctional intercellular communication in keratinocytesStephanie Langlois
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Western Ontario, London, ON N6A 5C1, Canada
Mol Biol Cell 19:912-28. 2008Connexin43 (Cx43) has been reported to interact with caveolin (Cav)-1, but the role of this association and whether other members of the caveolin family bind Cx43 had yet to be established...
- Basic fibroblast growth factor causes urinary bladder overactivity through gap junction generation in the smooth muscleMasaaki Imamura
Department of Urology, Graduate School of Medicine, Institute for Frontier Medical Sciences, Kyoto University, Kyoto, 606 8507 Japan
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 297:F46-54. 2009..Here, we report the involvement of basic fibroblast growth factor (bFGF) and connexin 43, a bladder gap junction protein, in bladder overactivity...
- Connexin43 in cardiomyocyte mitochondria contributes to mitochondrial potassium uptakeElisabet Miro-Casas
Servicio de Cardiologia, Hospital Universitari Vall d Hebron, Pg Vall d Hebron 119, Barcelona 08035, Spain
Cardiovasc Res 83:747-56. 2009..Connexin43 is present at the inner membrane of cardiomyocyte mitochondria (mCx43), but its function remains unknown...
- Connexin 43 and plakophilin-2 as a protein complex that regulates blood-testis barrier dynamicsMichelle W M Li
Center for Biomedical Research, Population Council, New York, NY 10065, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:10213-8. 2009..Herein, we demonstrate that connexin 43 (Cx43), a gap junction integral membrane protein, structurally interacts with desmosomal protein plakophilin-2 (..
- The interaction of estrogen receptor alpha and caveolin-3 regulates connexin43 phosphorylation in metabolic inhibition-treated rat cardiomyocytesTun Hui Chung
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, 1 1 Jen Ai Road, Taipei 10051, Taiwan
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 41:2323-33. 2009....
- Ischemia enhances translocation of connexin43 and gap junction intercellular communication, thereby propagating contraction band necrosis after reperfusionKaori Shintani-Ishida
Department of Forensic Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Circ J 73:1661-8. 2009..It has been suggested that CBN is propagated through gap junctions (GJs), but it is unclear how GJs transmit CBN exclusively in the risk area...
- Ubiquitylation of the gap junction protein connexin-43 signals its trafficking from early endosomes to lysosomes in a process mediated by Hrs and Tsg101Edward Leithe
Centre for Cancer Biomedicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo and Institute for Cancer Research, Norwegian Radium Hospital, Oslo University Hospital, Montebello, Oslo, Norway
J Cell Sci 122:3883-93. 2009..Here, we show that ubiquitin is strongly relocalized to connexin-43 (Cx43; also known as Gja1) gap junction plaques in response to activation of protein kinase C...
- Reduced connexin 43 expression and its effect on the development of vascular lesions in retinas of diabetic miceMichael W Bobbie
Departments of Medicine, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 51:3758-63. 2010PURPOSE. To examine whether diabetes-induced connexin 43 downregulation promotes retinal vascular lesions characteristic of diabetic retinopathy (DR). METHODS...
- Ultrastructure and regulation of lateralized connexin43 in the failing heartGeoffrey G Hesketh
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 720 N Rutland Ave, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Circ Res 106:1153-63. 2010..The primary gap junction protein in the working myocardium, connexin43 (Cx43), exhibits increased localization at the lateral membranes of cardiomyocytes in a variety of heart diseases, ..
- Connexin-43 redistribution and gap junction activation during forced restraint protects against sudden arrhythmic death in ratsKana Unuma
Department of Forensic Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Circ J 74:1087-95. 2010Connexin-43 (Cx43) expression is reduced or redistributed in heart disease...
- Reciprocal regulation between proinflammatory cytokine-induced inducible NO synthase (iNOS) and connexin43 in bladder smooth muscle cellsKai Li
Department of Molecular Signaling, Interdisciplinary Graduate School of Medicine and Engineering, University of Yamanashi, Chuo, Yamanashi 409 3898, Japan
J Biol Chem 286:41552-62. 2011..Stimulation of BSMCs with IL1β and TNFα increased connexin43 (Cx43) expression and function, which was associated with increased phosphorylation of vasodilator-stimulated ..
- Early inner retinal astrocyte dysfunction during diabetes and development of hypoxia, retinal stress, and neuronal functional lossAlice Ly
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 52:9316-26. 2011....
- Overexpression of the gap junction protein Cx43 as found in diabetic foot ulcers can retard fibroblast migrationAriadna Mendoza-Naranjo
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, University College London, Gower Street, London, WC1E 6BT, UK
Cell Biol Int 36:661-7. 2012..In the normal acute wound, the Cx43 (connexin 43) gap junction protein is down-regulated at the wound edge as a precursor to cell migration and healing...
- Silencing the expression of connexin 43 decreases inflammation and joint destruction in experimental arthritisShinji Tsuchida
Department of Orthopaedics, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Kawaramachi Hirokoji, Kamigyo ku, Kyoto 602 8566, Japan
J Orthop Res 31:525-30. 2013The objective of the present study was to determine whether the expression of connexin 43 (Cx43) effected on inflammatory conditions in rat fibroblast-like synoviocytes (FLS) and on rat model of rheumatoid arthritis (RA)...
- Spinal astrocytes stimulated by tumor necrosis factor-α and/or interferon-γ attenuate connexin 43-gap junction via c-jun terminal kinase activityFang Fang Zhang
Department of Pharmacology, Graduate School of Biomedical and Health Sciences, Hiroshima University, Hiroshima, Japan
J Neurosci Res 91:745-56. 2013..TNF-α) and interferon-γ (IFN-γ), and these cytokines could alter astrocytic function by modulating connexin (Cx43), subunits that form channels that modulate intercellular communication in astrocytes...
- Connexin expression in Huntington's diseased human brainJ C Vis
Department of Neurology, University Hospital Nijmegen, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Cell Biol Int 22:837-47. 1998..b>Cx43, expressed by astrocytes, was the most abundant connexin type of those studied...
- c-Jun N-terminal kinase activation mediates downregulation of connexin43 in cardiomyocytesBrian G Petrich
Department of Cell Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, Calif, USA
Circ Res 91:640-7. 2002..Here, we report that in cultured myocytes, rapid loss of the gap junction protein connexin43 (Cx43) occurs in conjunction with the activation of c-Jun N-terminal kinase (JNK), a stress-activated protein kinase, on ..
- Reversible connexin 43 dephosphorylation during hypoxia and reoxygenation is linked to cellular ATP levelsMark S Turner
Department of Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology, University of Miami, Fla, USA
Circ Res 95:726-33. 2004..The phosphoprotein connexin 43 (Cx43) is the major constituent of gap junctions...
- S-nitrosylation and permeation through connexin 43 hemichannels in astrocytes: induction by oxidant stress and reversal by reducing agentsMauricio A Retamal
Departamento de Ciencias Fisiologicas, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Santiago 6513492, Chile
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:4475-80. 2006..Dephosphorylation and/or oxidation of Cx43 hemichannels was proposed as a potential mechanism to increase their open probability...
- Sodium hydrogen exchange 1 (NHE-1) regulates connexin 43 expression in cardiomyocytes via reverse mode sodium calcium exchange and c-Jun NH2-terminal kinase-dependent pathwaysSeta Stanbouly
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 327:105-13. 2008b>Connexin 43, the major connexin isoform in gap junctions of cardiac ventricular myocytes, undergoes changes in distribution and expression in cardiac diseases...
- Presence of connexin 43 in subsarcolemmal, but not in interfibrillar cardiomyocyte mitochondriaKerstin Boengler
Institut fur Pathophysiologie, Zentrum fur Innere Medizin, Universitatsklinikum Essen, Essen, Germany
Basic Res Cardiol 104:141-7. 2009..b>Connexin 43 (Cx43) is located at the inner membrane of SSM, and Cx43 is involved in the cardioprotection by ischemic ..
- Conformational maturation and post-ER multisubunit assembly of gap junction proteinsJudy K VanSlyke
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Mol Biol Cell 20:2451-63. 2009..This cannot, however, be the case for the gap junction-forming protein connexin43 (Cx43), which when endogenously expressed undergoes multisubunit assembly into connexons only after its transport to the ..
- Eps15 interacts with ubiquitinated Cx43 and mediates its internalizationHenrique Girao
Centre of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Biomedical Institute for Research in Light and Image IBILI, Faculty of Medicine, University of Coimbra, Azinhaga de Sta Comba 3000 354 Coimbra, Portugal
Exp Cell Res 315:3587-97. 2009..Regulation of GJIC by degradation of Cx43 has been a matter of debate over the last two decades and both the proteasome and the lysosome have been implicated...
- Connexin43 inhibits the oncogenic activity of c-Src in C6 glioma cellsS Herrero-González
Departamento de Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular, Instituto de Neurociencias de Castilla y Leon, Universidad de Salamanca, Spain
Oncogene 29:5712-23. 2010..Although c-Src is known to phosphorylate connexin43, this study provides the first evidence that connexin43 can also inhibit c-Src activity...
- Mitochondrial connexin 43 impacts on respiratory complex I activity and mitochondrial oxygen consumptionKerstin Boengler
Institut fur Pathophysiologie, Universitatsklinikum Essen, Essen, Germany
J Cell Mol Med 16:1649-55. 2012b>Connexin 43 (Cx43) is present at the sarcolemma and the inner membrane of cardiomyocyte subsarcolemmal mitochondria (SSM)...
- Smad ubiquitination regulatory factor-2 controls gap junction intercellular communication by modulating endocytosis and degradation of connexin43Tone Aase Fykerud
Department of Cancer Prevention, Institute for Cancer Research, Norwegian Radium Hospital, Oslo University Hospital, Montebello, 0310 Oslo, and Centre for Cancer Biomedicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
J Cell Sci 125:3966-76. 2012..Smurf2 depletion also counteracted the TPA-induced endocytosis and degradation of connexin43. Collectively, these data identify Smurf2 as a novel regulator of connexin43 gap junctions...
- Importance of Connexin-43 based gap junction in cirrhosis and acute-on-chronic liver failureVairappan Balasubramaniyan
Liver Failure Group, UCL Institute for Liver and Digestive Health, Royal Free Hospital, Pond Street, London NW3 2PF, UK
J Hepatol 58:1194-200. 2013..b>Cx43 is a ubiquitous gap junction protein that allows transmission of signals between cells at a much higher rate than ..
- Effects of high glucose-induced Cx43 downregulation on occludin and ZO-1 expression and tight junction barrier function in retinal endothelial cellsThomas Tien
Departments of Medicine and Ophthalmology, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 54:6518-25. 2013To investigate whether high glucose (HG)-induced downregulation of connexin 43 (Cx43), a gap junction protein, alters ZO-1 and occludin expression and cell monolayer permeability.
- Regulation of purified and reconstituted connexin 43 hemichannels by protein kinase C-mediated phosphorylation of Serine 368Xiaoyong Bao
Membrane Protein Laboratory, Sealy Center for Structural Biology, and Department of Physiology and Biophysics, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555 0437, USA
J Biol Chem 279:20058-66. 2004Indirect evidence suggests that the permeability of connexin 43 (Cx43) gap-junctional channels (connexons) to small organic molecules (M(r) < 1,000) is decreased by protein kinase C (PKC)-mediated phosphorylation of Ser-368...
- ERp29 restricts Connexin43 oligomerization in the endoplasmic reticulumShamie Das
Department of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary, Allergy and Critical Care Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Mol Biol Cell 20:2593-604. 2009Connexin43 (Cx43) is a gap junction protein that forms multimeric channels that enable intercellular communication through the direct transfer of signals and metabolites...
- Increased co-localization of connexin43 and ZO-1 in dissociated adult myocytesR J Barker
Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, MUSC, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Cell Commun Adhes 8:205-8. 2001In the heart, the intercellular geometry of myocyte coupling by Connexin43-gap junctions (Cx43-gjs) is a determinant of normal and abnormal patterns of propagation of electrical excitation...
- Casein kinase 1 regulates connexin-43 gap junction assemblyCynthia D Cooper
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center and Department of Pathobiology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98109 1024, USA
J Biol Chem 277:44962-8. 2002..We have examined the role of casein kinase 1 (CK1) in connexin-43 (Cx43) gap junction assembly...
- Regulation of gap junctional charge selectivity in cells coexpressing connexin 40 and connexin 43Nathanael S Heyman
Department of Physiology, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 297:H450-9. 2009Expression of connexin 40 (Cx40) and Cx43 in cardiovascular tissues varies as a function of age, injury, and development with unknown consequences on the selectivity of junctional communication and its acute regulation...
- Sleep deprivation and sleep recovery modifies connexin36 and connexin43 protein levels in rat brainJavier Franco-Pérez
Department of Neurophysiology, National Institute of Neurology and Neurosurgery, National Autonomous University of Mexico, Mexico DF, Mexico
Neuroreport 23:103-7. 2012....
- [Expression of connexin 43 in tongue carcinogenesis]Yan Feng
Department of Preventive Dentistry, Affiliated Dental Hospital of Luzhou Medical College, Sichuan 646000, P R China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Yi Chuan Xue Za Zhi 30:237-9. 2013To study the expression of connexin 43 (Cx43) in various stages of oral carcinogenesis and explore the relation between Cx43 and oral mucous carcinogenesis.
- Two tyrosine-based sorting signals in the Cx43 C-terminus cooperate to mediate gap junction endocytosisJohn T Fong
Department of Biological Sciences, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA 18015
Mol Biol Cell 24:2834-48. 2013..In this study, we investigated the structural motifs that mediate Cx43 GJ endocytosis...
- Ischaemia-induced autophagy leads to degradation of gap junction protein connexin43 in cardiomyocytesTânia Martins-Marques
Centre of Ophthalmology and Vision Sciences, Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Life Sciences IBILI, Faculty of Medicine, University of Coimbra, Azinhaga de Sta Comba, 3000 354 Coimbra, Portugal
Biochem J 467:231-45. 2015..Increased breakdown of Cx43 has been often associated with various cardiac diseases...
- The role of Cx36 and Cx43 in 4-aminopyridine-induced rhythmic activity in the spinal nociceptive dorsal horn: an electrophysiological study in vitroChristopher W P Kay
School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Leeds, Leeds, LS2 9JT, United Kingdom
Physiol Rep 4:. 2016..chain reaction (RT-qPCR) was used to profile developmental expression of two specific Cx proteins, namely glial Cx43 and neuronal Cx36, in postnatal lumbar spinal cord aged 4, 7, and 14 days...
- Layer specific changes of astroglial gap junctions in the rat cerebellar cortex by persistent Borna Disease Virus infectionChristiane Köster-Patzlaff
Center for Anatomy, Neuroanatomy, University of Gottingen, Kreuzbergring 36, 37075 Gottingen, Germany
Brain Res 1219:143-58. 2008..are known to influence neuronal degeneration, we investigated BDV dependent changes in astroglial GJ connexins (Cx) Cx43, and Cx30 in the Lewis rat cerebellum, 4, and 8 weeks after neonatal infection...
- Wuling Capsule promotes hippocampal neurogenesis by improving expression of connexin 43 in rats exposed to chronic unpredictable mild stressDe Qiang Li
Department of Neurology, The First Affiliated Hospital, College of Medicine, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou 310003, Zhejiang Province, China
Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Xue Bao 8:662-9. 2010..on hippocampal neurogenesis by examining the expressions of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) and connexin 43 (Cx43) in rats with depression induced by chronic unpredictable mild stress (CMS), and thereby to explore its ..
- Nanoengineering the heart: conductive scaffolds enhance connexin 43 expressionJin Oh You
School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, United States
Nano Lett 11:3643-8. 2011..Neonatal rat cardiomyocytes exhibited increased expression of connexin 43 on hybrid scaffolds relative to HEMA with or without electrical stimulation.
- Effects of valsartan on ventricular arrhythmia induced by programmed electrical stimulation in rats with myocardial infarctionKun Li Jiao
Department of Cardiology, Xinhua Hospital, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, School of Medicine, Shanghai, China
J Cell Mol Med 16:1342-51. 2012..mRNA and protein expressions of Cx43, angiotensin II type 1 receptor (AT1R) in the LV border zone (BZ) and non-infarct zone (NIZ) were determined by ..
- Endothelial connexin43 mediates acid-induced increases in pulmonary microvascular permeabilityKaushik Parthasarathi
Dept of Physiology, 894 Union Ave, 426, Memphis, TN 38163, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 303:L33-42. 2012..Inhibiting endothelial connexin43 (Cx43) gap junction communication with Gap27 blunted the acid-induced reduction in normalized fluorescence, although ..
- Regulatory effect of connexin 43 on basal Ca2+ signaling in rat ventricular myocytesChen Li
Department of Pharmacology, School of Chemical Biology and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Capital Medical University, Beijing, China
PLoS ONE 7:e36165. 2012..However, whether functional gaps are also involved in the regulation of normal Ca(2+) signaling, in particular the basal [Ca(2+)](i) activities, is unclear...
- Affinity purification of a rat-brain junctional protein, connexin 43E Dupont
Laboratoire de Biologie de la Differenciation Cellulaire, Faculte des Sciences de Luminy, Université d Aix Marseille II, France
Eur J Biochem 200:263-70. 1991..By immunoblotting, anti-peptide antibodies directed against rat heart connexin 43 (CX43) detect a major protein of 41 kDa in rat brain homogenates...
- Molecular cloning of a rat uterine gap junction protein and analysis of gene expression during gestationL M Lang
Edward Mallinckrodt Department of Pediatrics, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110
Am J Physiol 260:E787-93. 1991..They further suggest that changes in the abundance of connexin43 transcript are unlikely to be responsible for the abrupt increase in connexin43-containing myometrial gap junctions at term...
- Novel quantitative trait loci for blood pressure and related traits on rat chromosomes 1, 10, and 18P Kovacs
Department of Laboratory Animal Sciences, Institute of Pathophysiology, University of Greifswald, Karlsburg, Germany
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 235:343-8. 1997..was a QTL for blood pressure found between Ppy and Abp and on chromosome 18 there were three regions (Ttr-Grl, Tilp-Gja1, Olf-D18Mit9) with linkage to blood pressure...
- Individual gap junction plaques contain multiple connexins in arterial endotheliumH I Yeh
National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, London, England, UK
Circ Res 83:1248-63. 1998..Up to 3 connexin types, connexin40 (Cx40), Cx37, and Cx43 may be expressed in vascular endothelium according to vascular site, species, and physiological conditions...
- Identification of connexin43 (alpha1) gap junction gene mutations in patients with hypoplastic left heart syndrome by denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis (DGGE)C Dasgupta
Department of Biochemistry, School of Medicine, Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, CA 92354, USA
Mutat Res 479:173-86. 2001....
- Connexin43 in rat oocytes: developmental modulation of its phosphorylationIrit Granot
In Vitro Fertilization Unit, Obstetric and Gynecology Department, Kaplan Medical Center, 76100 Rehovot, Israel
Biol Reprod 66:568-73. 2002It is well established that the 43-kDa connexin (Cx43) is predominantly expressed by ovarian somatic cells, whereas the identity of the connexins contributed by the oocyte to form gap junctions with its neighboring cells is not fully ..
- Expression and regulation of connexins in cultured ventricular myocytes isolated from adult rat heartsLioudmila O Polontchouk
Institute for Cell Biology, ETH Honggerberg, 8093 Zurich, Switzerland
Pflugers Arch 443:676-89. 2002..Double immunostaining allowed the localization of connexins Cx40, Cx43, and Cx45 between myocytes and demonstrated co-expression and co-localization in individual cells and gap junction ..
- NBT-II carcinoma behaviour is not dependent on cell-cell communication through gap junctionsF Lesueur
Genetic and Cancer Susceptibility Unit, IARC, 150 cours Albert Thomas, 69372 Lyon Cedex, France
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 294:108-15. 2002..Cells overexpressing the Cx43 were generated to test for any tumour suppressive activity in vivo...
- The regulatory role of the C-terminal domain of connexin43J L Shin
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98109, USA
Cell Commun Adhes 8:271-5. 2001The C-terminal (CT) domain of connexin43 (Cx43) is thought to be important in the control of gap junction function via: a.) CT phosphorylation-dependent control of gap junction assembly and gating, b...
- pH-dependent intramolecular binding and structure involving Cx43 cytoplasmic domainsHeather S Duffy
Department of Neuroscience, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
J Biol Chem 277:36706-14. 2002pH-induced closure of connexin43 (Cx43) channels involves interaction of the Cx43 carboxyl-terminal (Cx43CT) with a separate "receptor" domain...
- Expression of multiple connexins in the rat epididymis indicates a complex regulation of gap junctional communicationJulie Dufresne
Institut National de la Recherche Scientifique Institut Armand Frappier, Universite du Quebec, 245 Hymus Boulevard, Pointe Claire, Quebec, Canada H9R 1G6
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 284:C33-43. 2003In the epididymis, Cx43 forms gap junctions between principal and basal cells but not between adjacent principal cells. Cx30.3, 31.1, and 32 were identified in adult rat epididymis by RT-PCR, whereas Cx26 was present in young rats...
- Microglia activation influences dye coupling and Cx43 expression of the astrocytic networkPedro M Faustmann
Department of Neuroanatomy and Molecular Brain Research, Ruhr University Bochum, Bochum, Germany
Glia 42:101-8. 2003..phenotype) was investigated using the monoclonal anti-ED1 antibody, and immunofluorescence with a polyclonal anti-Cx43 antibody was used to study astroglial Cx43 expression and distribution...
- Parathyroid hormone-related protein treatment of pregnant rats delays the increase in connexin 43 and oxytocin receptor expression in the myometriumJennifer A Mitchell
Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario M5G 1X5, Canada
Biol Reprod 69:556-62. 2003..pregnancy is maintained by progesterone, which suppresses the expression of labor-associated genes such as connexin 43 (Cx43) and the oxytocin receptor (OTR)...
- Specific amino-acid residues in the N-terminus and TM3 implicated in channel function and oligomerization compatibility of connexin43Valerie Lagree
Department of Cell Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, 10550 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
J Cell Sci 116:3189-201. 2003..connexins; two are located in the N-terminal domain (P1 and P2, corresponding to residues 12 and 13 of the Cx43 sequence), and two in the third trans-membrane-spanning domain TM3 (P3 and P4, corresponding to residues 152 and ..
- Connexin43 and connexin26 form gap junctions, but not heteromeric channels in co-expressing cellsJoanna Gemel
Department of Pediatrics, Section of Hematology Oncology and Stem Cell Transplantation, University of Chicago, IL 60637 1470, USA
J Cell Sci 117:2469-80. 2004..Cx26 and Cx43 are found together in a number of cell types, but previous data have suggested that they might not form heteromeric ..
- Nitric oxide-mediated regulation of connexin43 expression and gap junctional intercellular communication in mesangial cellsJian Yao
Department of Molecular Signaling, Interdisciplinary Graduate School of Medicine and Engineering, University of Yamanashi, Tamaho, Yamanashi 409 3898, Japan
J Am Soc Nephrol 16:58-67. 2005..enhanced both basal and 8-bromo-cAMP-stimulated GJIC as well as expression of gap junction protein connexin43 (Cx43)...
- Intercellular communication via gap junctions in activated rat hepatic stellate cellsRichard Fischer
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Infectiology, Heinrich Heine University, Dusseldorf, Germany
Gastroenterology 128:433-48. 2005..Gap junctional communication was studied in quiescent and activated hepatic stellate cells...
- Novel rab GAP-like protein, CIP85, interacts with connexin43 and induces its degradationZheng Lan
Natural Products and Cancer Biology Program, Cancer Research Center of Hawaii, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813, USA
Biochemistry 44:2385-96. 2005Gap junctions play critical roles in tissue function and homeostasis. Connexin43 (Cx43) is a major gap junction protein expressed in the mammalian heart and other tissues and may be regulated by its interaction with other cellular ..
- In differentiating prefusion myoblasts connexin43 gap junction coupling is upregulated before myoblast alignment then reduced in post-mitotic cellsAniko Gorbe
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, University of Szeged, Szeged, Hungary
Histochem Cell Biol 125:705-16. 2006..that during in vivo muscle regeneration differentiating rat primary myoblasts transiently upregulate connexin43 (Cx43) gap junctions and leave cell cycle synchronously...
- Subchronic alpha- and beta-adrenergic regulation of cardiac gap junction protein expressionA Salameh
Medizinische Klinik I, Abteilung Kardiologie, Universitätsklinik Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany
FASEB J 20:365-7. 2006..The most important cardiac gap junction proteins are connexin43 (predominantly) (Cx43), connexin40 (Cx40), and in early developmental stages connexin45...
- Evaluation of frequency, type, and function of gap junctions between skeletal myoblasts overexpressing connexin43 and cardiomyocytes: relevance to cell transplantationMark A Stagg
Cellular Electrophysiology, Heart Science Centre, National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London, Harefield Hospital, London, UK
FASEB J 20:744-6. 2006..ability of SMs to electrically couple with isolated adult rat cardiomyocytes (CMs) and assessed whether connexin43 (Cx43) overexpression enhanced gap junctional conductance (Gj)...
- N-cadherin signals through Rac1 determine the localization of connexin 43 in cardiac myocytesTakahisa Matsuda
Department of Clinical Evaluation of Medicines and Therapeutics, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Osaka University, 1 6 Yamadaoka, Suita City, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
J Mol Cell Cardiol 40:495-502. 2006..To examine whether signals through N-cadherin are involved in the distribution of connexin 43 (Cx43), the distribution of cell-cell adhesion molecules, N-cadherin and Cx43, was analyzed in aligned cardiac ..
- Normal embryonic development and cardiac morphogenesis in mice with Wnt1-Cre-mediated deletion of connexin43M Kretz
Institute for Genetics, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Genesis 44:269-76. 2006Mice harboring a null mutation in the gap junction protein connexin43 (Cx43) die shortly after birth due to an obstruction of the right ventricular outflow tract of the heart...
- Inhibition of connexin 43 expression and function in cultured rat dental pulp cells by antisense oligonucleotideChul Kyun Chung
Department of Pathology, Tokyo Dental College, 1 2 2, Masago, Mihama ku, Chiba, 261 8502, Japan
Cell Tissue Res 329:295-300. 2007..b>Connexin 43 (CX43) is expressed in pulp tissue...
- Increased connexin 43 expression improves the migratory and proliferative ability of H9c2 cells by Wnt-3a overexpressionXiaoyu Liu
Department of Cellular and Genetic Medicine, Shanghai Medical College, Fudan University, Shanghai 200032, China
Acta Biochim Biophys Sin (Shanghai) 39:391-8. 2007The change of connexin 43 (Cx43) expression and the biological behaviors of Cx43 in rat heart cell line H9c2, expressing Wnt-3a (wingless-type MMTV integration site family, member 3A), were evaluated in the present study. Plasmid pcDNA3...
- Abnormal connexin expression underlies delayed wound healing in diabetic skinChiuhui Mary Wang
Department of Anatomy and Developmental Biology, University College London, Gower Street, London, WC1E 6BT, UK
Diabetes 56:2809-17. 2007Dynamically regulated expression of the gap junction protein connexin (Cx)43 plays pivotal roles in wound healing. Cx43 is normally downregulated and Cx26 upregulated in keratinocytes at the edge of the wound as they adopt a migratory ..
- Connexin 43 confers resistance to hydrogen peroxide-mediated apoptosisSarah F Giardina
Department of Anesthesiology, Columbia University P and S, PH5, 630 West 168th Street, New York, NY 10032, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 362:747-52. 2007..demonstrated morphological and biochemical changes consistent with apoptosis, whereas C6 cells expressing Cx43 demonstrated relative resistance to H2O2, but not to staurosporine...
- Immunohistochemical expression of connexin 43 and occludin in the rat testis after epididymal and vasal ligationBaris Altay
Department of Urology, Ege University Medical Faculty, Izmir, Turkey
Fertil Steril 90:141-7. 2008To describe the effects of epididymal and vasal ligation, in an experimental rat model, by using connexin 43 and occludin immunohistochemistry as well as transmission electron microscopy.
- Zeiss LSM 510 Laser Scanning MicroscopeJOHN RASH; Fiscal Year: 2002..The DIC Board of Directors will meet bi-monthly to insure continued efficient scheduling and operation of the replacement confocal microscope, to consider future upgrades, and to establish or change DIC access policies. ..
- SEARCH FOR NEW GENES CAUSING NON-SYNDROMIC DEAFNESSXue Liu; Fiscal Year: 2002..This knowledge is an essential prerequisite to the development and provision of molecular diagnostic services for families with NSHL, as well as the further delineation of the functional genomics of the cochlea. ..
- Gap Junctions and Connexins in Developing CNSJOHN RASH; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Connexins in Neuronal and Glial Gap Junctions in the Central Nervous SystemJOHN RASH; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- FUNCTION OF CX43-INTERACTING PROTEINS IN NEURAL CREST MIGRATIONROBERT GOURDIE; Fiscal Year: 2009..The gap junction protein Cx43 has a key function in this directed migration of cardiac neural crest cells...
- Proteomic Biomarkers of Health BehaviorsPaul Lampe; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- A HIGH PRESSURE FREEZER FOR ELECTRON MICROSCOPY USESGINA SOSINSKY; Fiscal Year: 2002..In all of these research projects, the primary goal is to understand the three-dimensional structure of organized cellular components and relate this morphology to their functionality...
- INTERCELLULAR COMMUNICATION IN THE HEARTEric Beyer; Fiscal Year: 2003..This study may have significant implications for the elucidation of cardiovascular disease (including arrhythmias) associated with connexins. ..
- Cardiac Pacemaking and Conduction System SymposiumROBERT GOURDIE; Fiscal Year: 2004..A website on the "cardiac pacemaking and conduction system" will be established at Medical University of South Carolina with content arising from work presented and published from the meeting. ..
- Patterning by Invasive Mesenchyme in the Embryonic HeartROBERT GOURDIE; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Action of Novel Anti-tumor Agents on Cell CommunicationDiane Matesic; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Restoration of Skin Structure and Function Post-WoundingROBERT GOURDIE; Fiscal Year: 2006..Recent data indicates that the gap junction protein Connexin43 (Cx43) has key, though ill- defined roles in orchestrating wound healing in skin...