Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Gja5
Description: gap junction protein, alpha 5
Alias: Cx40, gap junction alpha-5 protein, connexin 40, gap junction membrane channel protein alpha 5
- Cardiac myocytes express multiple gap junction proteinsH L Kanter
Department of Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110
Circ Res 70:438-44. 1992..Immunoelectron microscopy confirmed that all three connexins are localized to myocyte gap junctions. The presence of multiple connexins in myocyte gap junctions suggests novel mechanisms for regulating cardiac electrical coupling...
- Somatic mutations in the connexin 40 gene (GJA5) in atrial fibrillationMichael H Gollob
Arrhythmia Research Laboratory and Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, University of Ottawa Heart Institute, Ottawa, Canada
N Engl J Med 354:2677-88. 2006..The cardiac gap-junction protein connexin 40 is expressed selectively in atrial myocytes and mediates the coordinated electrical activation of the atria...
- Connexins 37 and 40 transduce purinergic signals mediating renal autoregulationTsuneo Takenaka
Department of Nephrology, Saitama Medical College, Iruma Saitama, Japan
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 294:R1-11. 2008..04 +/- 0.10 to 0.81 +/- 0.06, n = 6 P < 0.01) and GFR (0.05 +/- 0.08 to 0.79 +/- 0.05, P < 0.01). (Cx40)GAP27 induced similar changes to (Cx37,43)GAP27. Renal autoregulation was preserved in the presence of (Cx43)GAP26...
- [An increase in the ratio of peripheral blood CD4+/CD8+ T lymphocytes and the levels of connexin 40 and inflammatory factors in spontaneously hypertensive rats]Ai Wang
Key Laboratory of Xinjiang Endemic and Ethnic Diseases Department of Physiology School of Medicine, Shihezi University, Shihezi 832002, China
Xi Bao Yu Fen Zi Mian Yi Xue Za Zhi 32:145-8. 2016To analyze the relationships of connexin 40 (Cx40) with peripheral blood CD4(+) and CD8(+) T lymphocyte subsets and inflammatory factors of spontaneously hypertensive (SH) rats.
- Phenotype-specific effect of chromosome 1q21.1 rearrangements and GJA5 duplications in 2436 congenital heart disease patients and 6760 controlsRachel Soemedi
Institute of Genetic Medicine, Newcastle University, Newcastle, UK
Hum Mol Genet 21:1513-20. 2012..1 in cases of TOF. These small duplications encompassed a single gene in common, GJA5, and were enriched in cases of TOF in comparison to controls [OR = 10.7 (95% CI 1.8-64.3), P = 0.01]...
- Characterization of the structure and intermolecular interactions between the connexin40 and connexin43 carboxyl-terminal and cytoplasmic loop domainsDenis Bouvier
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, Nebraska 68198, USA
J Biol Chem 284:34257-71. 2009..Among the 21 different human Cx isoforms, studies have suggested that in the heart, Cx40 and Cx43 can oligomerize to form heteromeric hemichannels...
- Expression and role of connexins in the rat renal vasculatureT Takenaka
Department of Nephrology, Saitama Medical College, Saitama, Japan
Kidney Int 73:415-22. 2008..connexins 37 and 40 expression in the endothelial and renin-secreting cells of the afferent arteriole, while connexin 40 was also found in extra- and intraglomerular mesangial cells...
- Endothelial coordination of cerebral vasomotion via myoendothelial gap junctions containing connexins 37 and 40Rebecca E Haddock
Div of Neuroscience, John Curtin School of Medical Research, Australian National Univ, Canberra, 2601 ACT Australia
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 291:H2047-56. 2006..Synchronized vasomotion in rat basilar artery is endothelium dependent, with [Ca(2+)](i) waves generated within SMCs being coordinated by electrical coupling via myoendothelial gap junctions...
- Developmental changes of connexin40 and connexin43 mRNA distribution patterns in the rat heartM J van Kempen
Department of Anatomy and Embryology, University of Amsterdam, Netherlands
Cardiovasc Res 32:886-900. 1996Gap junctions have been demonstrated ultrastructurally in cardiac regions where connexin40 (Cx40) and connexin43 (Cx43) protein could not be detected immunohistochemically...
- [Expression of connexin 40 and hyperpolarization-activated cyclic nucleotide-gated cation channel 4 in rat bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells cocultured with sinoatrial node tissues in vitro]Bo Song
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, the Affiliated Hospital of Luzhou Medical College, Luzhou Sichuan, 646000, PR China
Zhongguo Xiu Fu Chong Jian Wai Ke Za Zhi 26:146-51. 2012To investigate the expression of connexin 40 (Cx40) and hyperpolarization-activated cyclic nucleotide-gated cation channel 4 (HCN4) in rat bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells (BMSCs) cocultured with the sinoatrial node (SAN) tissues in ..
- Age-related alteration of gap junction distribution and connexin expression in rat aortic endotheliumH I Yeh
Departments of Internal Medicine and Medical Research, Mackay Memorial Hospital, Taipei Medical College, Taipei, Taiwan
J Histochem Cytochem 48:1377-89. 2000We investigated endothelial gap junctions and their three component connexins, connexin37 (Cx37), Cx40, and Cx43, during growth and senescence in rat aorta by en face immunoconfocal microscopy and electron microscopy...
- [Effects of valsartan and U0126 on atrial fibrosis and connexin40 remodeling in rats]Wei Ze Zhang
The Cardiology Department of Lanzhou General Hospital of Lanzhou Military Area Command of Chinese PLA, Lanzhou 730050, China
Zhonghua Xin Xue Guan Bing Za Zhi 39:1129-34. 2011To explore the effects of valsartan and MEK1/2 inhibitor U0126 on atrial fibrosis and connexin40 (Cx40) remodeling in rats treated with isoproterenol (ISO).
- Role of the gap junctions in the contractile response to agonists in pulmonary artery from two rat models of pulmonary hypertensionMarie Billaud
INSERM, U1045, F 33076 Bordeaux, France
Respir Res 12:30. 2011..Since gap junctions are formed with proteins named connexins (Cx) and contribute to vasoreactivity, we investigated both expression and role of Cx in the pulmonary arterial vasoreactivity in two rat models of PH...
- Changes of gap junctional cell-cell communication in overactive detrusor in ratsLongkun Li
Center of Urology, Southwest Hospital, Third Military Medical University, Chongqing, China
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 293:C1627-35. 2007..The two groups were compared by means of urodynamics, light and electron microscopy, expression of Cx40, Cx43, and Cx45 mRNA genes with RT-PCR, Cx43 protein with Western blot analysis, and functional intercellular ..
- Cerebrovascular connexin expression: effects of traumatic brain injuryMarcela A Avila
Charles Allen Laboratories, Department of Anesthesiology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555 1102, USA
J Neurotrauma 28:1803-11. 2011..Gap junctions are comprised of connexin proteins (Cxs), of which Cx37, Cx40, Cx43, and Cx45 are expressed in vascular tissue...
- Regulatory effects of myoendothelial gap junction on vascular reactivity after hemorrhagic shock in ratsJia Ming
State Key Laboratory of Trauma, Burns and Combined Injury, Research Institute of Surgery, Daping Hospital, the Third Military University, Chongqing, People s Republic of China
Shock 31:80-6. 2009..Meanwhile, the relationship of the mRNA/protein expression of connexins 37, 40, and 43(Cx40 and Cx43) to the changes of vascular reactivity after hemorrhagic shock and the effect of antisense ..
- Expression of connexins in the normal and obstructed developing kidneyDouglas M Silverstein
Division of Nephrology, Department of Pediatrics, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Pediatr Nephrol 18:216-24. 2003..Our reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) studies demonstrate that Cx30, Cx36, Cx37, Cx40, Cx45, Cx46, and Cx50 are expressed in the kidney...
- Gap junction channels formed by coexpressed connexin40 and connexin43V Valiunas
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, State University of New York, Stony Brook, New York 11794, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 281:H1675-89. 2001..We examined the potential interaction of connexin Cx43 and Cx40 in HeLa cells sequentially stably transfected with these two connexins...
- Glomerular expression of connexin 40 and connexin 43 in rat experimental glomerulonephritisTetsuo Morioka
Department of Cellular Physiology, Institute of Nephrology, Niigata University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, Niigata, Japan
Clin Exp Nephrol 17:191-204. 2013..Gap junctions connect glomerular mesangial cells to each other. In this study, we examined the glomerular expression of connexins (Cxs) 40 and 43 at both the protein and transcript levels in anti-Thy1.1 glomerulonephritis (GN)...
- Decreased endothelial size and connexin expression in rat caudal arteries during hypertensionNicole M Rummery
Autonomic Synapse Group, Division of Neuroscience, John Curtin School of Medical Research, Australian National University, Canberra, Australia
J Hypertens 20:247-53. 2002..Hypertension is accompanied by endothelial dysfunction. The present study has investigated endothelial cell morphology and connexin expression in the caudal artery of the rat during the development of hypertension...
- Connexins 40 and 43 are differentially regulated within the kidneys of rats with renovascular hypertensionJ A Haefliger
Department of Internal Medicine, Laboratory of Clinical Chemistry, Division of Physiopathology, University Hospital, Lausanne, Switzerland
Kidney Int 60:190-201. 2001b>Connexin 40 (Cx40) is a gap junction protein expressed in endothelial cells of vessels, endocardium, and conducting cells of the His-Purkinje system of heart. Its distribution in the kidney remains to be fully investigated.
- Sepsis up-regulates the expression of connexin 40 in rat aortic endotheliumStéphanie Rignault
Division de physiopathologie clinique, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Lausanne, Switzerland
Crit Care Med 33:1302-10. 2005..e., Cx37, Cx40, and Cx43). We also examined a possible association between such changes and endothelial dysfunction in this model.
- NaHS ameliorates diabetic vascular injury by correcting depressed connexin 43 and 40 in the vasculature in streptozotocin-injected ratsYu Fen Zheng
Research Division of Pharmacology, China Pharmaceutical University, Nanjing, China
J Pharm Pharmacol 62:615-21. 2010....
- Study of the mechanism of antihypertensive peptides VPP and IPP in spontaneously hypertensive rats by DNA microarray analysisNaoya Yamaguchi
Functional Food and Drink Development Laboratory, Calpis, Fuchinobe, Sagamihara shi, Kanagawa, Japan
Eur J Pharmacol 620:71-7. 2009..89-fold, P<0.05) and the connexin 40 (gap junction 40) gene (2.81-fold, P<0.05)...
- Unique conductance, gating, and selective permeability properties of gap junction channels formed by connexin40D A Beblo
Department of Pharmacology, State University of New York Health Science Center at Syracuse 13210, USA
Circ Res 77:813-22. 1995..The conductance, gating, and selective permeability of rat connexin40 (Cx40) gap junction channels between pairs of Cx40-transfected mouse neuroblastoma (N2A) cells in culture were studied by ..
- Reduced EDHF responses and connexin activity in mesenteric arteries from the insulin-resistant obese Zucker ratE J Young
School of Medical Sciences, RMIT University, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Diabetologia 51:872-81. 2008..The involvement of gap junctions and their connexin subunits in the EDHF relaxation response was also assessed...
- Effects of connexin-mimetic peptides on gap junction functionality and connexin expression in cultured vascular cellsPatricia E M Martin
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Wales Heart Research Institute, Cardiff University, Heath Park, Cardiff CF14 4XN
Br J Pharmacol 144:617-27. 2005..Immunostaining and Western blot analysis confirmed the presence of gap junction plaques containing Cx43, but not Cx40, in RAECs, whereas plaques containing Cxs 40 and 43 were evident in A7r5 cells...
- Effects of chronic atrial fibrillation on gap junction distribution in human and rat atriaL Polontchouk
Department of Pharmacology, Martin Luther University of Halle Wittenberg, Halle S, Germany
J Am Coll Cardiol 38:883-91. 2001..remodeling induced by chronic atrial fibrillation (AF), we investigated connexin40 and connexin43 (Cx40 and Cx43) expression and distribution in atria of patients with and without chronic AF and in an animal model of AF ..
- Differential endothelial gap junction expression in venous vessels exposed to different hemodynamicsChi Jen Chang
The First Cardiovascular Division, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, 5 Fu Hsing St, Kuei Shan, Tao Yuan, Taiwan
J Histochem Cytochem 58:1083-92. 2010..of the native vein, the gap-junctional spot numbers (GJSNs) and the total gap-junctional areas (TGJAs) of Cx40 and Cx43 were lower than those of the thoracic aorta and that Cx37 was hardly detectable...
- Interplay between cystic fibrosis transmembrane regulator and gap junction channels made of connexins 45, 40, 32 and 50 expressed in oocytesBasilio A Kotsias
Department of Pharmacology and Physiology, University of Rochester School of Medicine, 601 Elmwood Avenue, Rochester, NY 14642 8711, USA
J Membr Biol 214:1-8. 2006..interaction between CFTR and gap junction channels, we coexpressed in Xenopus oocytes CFTR and either Cx45, Cx40, Cx32 or Cx50 and monitored junctional conductance (G (j)) and its sensitivity to transjunctional voltage (V (j)) ..
- [Relationship between Cx40/43 regulating the intracellular Ca2+ concentration of vascular smooth muscle cell (VSMC) and endothelium-dependent vascular contractive response of superior mesenteric artery in rats]Jia Ming
The Second Department of Research Institute of Surgery, Daping Hospital, State Key Laboratory of Trauma, Burns and Combined Injury, The Third Military Medical University, Chongqing 400042, China
Zhonghua Shao Shang Za Zhi 25:31-5. 2009To investigate the relationship between intracellular Ca2+ concentration ([Ca2+]i) mediated by connexin 40/43( Cx40/43) of VSMC and endothelium-dependent vascular contractive response of superior mesenteric arteries (SMA) in hemorrhagic ..
- Regulation of gap junctional charge selectivity in cells coexpressing connexin 40 and connexin 43Nathanael S Heyman
Department of Physiology, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 297:H450-9. 2009Expression of connexin 40 (Cx40) and Cx43 in cardiovascular tissues varies as a function of age, injury, and development with unknown consequences on the selectivity of junctional communication and its acute regulation...
- Atomic force microscopy of Connexin40 gap junction hemichannels reveals calcium-dependent three-dimensional molecular topography and open-closed conformations of both the extracellular and cytoplasmic facesMichael J Allen
Section of Pulmonary Critical Care, Center for Nanomedicine, Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
J Biol Chem 286:22139-46. 2011....
- Regulation of connexin gene expression during skeletal muscle regeneration in the adult ratA Trovato-Salinaro
Dept of Experimental Medicine, Section of Human Physiology, Univ of Palermo, Corso Tukory 129, 90134 Palermo, Italy
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 296:C593-606. 2009..The aim of present work was to perform a comparative spatial and temporal analysis of connexin (Cx) 37, Cx39, Cx40, Cx43, and Cx45 expression in the adult regenerating skeletal muscle in response to crush injury...
- Molecular cloning and expression of rat connexin40, a gap junction protein expressed in vascular smooth muscleE C Beyer
Department of Pediatrics, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110
J Membr Biol 127:69-76. 1992..amplification and cDNA library screening to clone DNA encoding a novel member of this gene family, rat connexin40 (Cx40). The derived rat Cx40 polypeptide contains 356 amino acids, with a predicted molecular mass of 40,233 Da...
- Altered expression of gap junction connexin proteins may partly underlie heart rhythm disturbances in the streptozotocin-induced diabetic rat heartF C Howarth
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, United Arab Emirates University, P O Box 17666, Al Ain, UAE
Mol Cell Biochem 305:145-51. 2007..Expression levels of mRNA for Gja5 (Cx40), Gja1 (Cx43) and Gja7 (Cx45) were measured in SAN and compared with right atrium and right ventricle with ..
- [Quantitative connexin mRNA detection in posterior nodal extension of adult rat heart]Yan Ou
Department of Cardiology, Second Affiliated Hospital, Medical College of Xi an Jiaotong University, Xi an 710004, China
Nan Fang Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao 27:812-6. 2007..To quantitatively detect the expression of connexins (Cx) mRNA in the posterior nodal extension (PNE) of adult rat heart and understand the relationship between Cx expression and atrial ventricular nodal reentrant tachycardia (AVNRT)...
- Subchronic alpha- and beta-adrenergic regulation of cardiac gap junction protein expressionA Salameh
Medizinische Klinik I, Abteilung Kardiologie, Universitätsklinik Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany
FASEB J 20:365-7. 2006..The most important cardiac gap junction proteins are connexin43 (predominantly) (Cx43), connexin40 (Cx40), and in early developmental stages connexin45...
- An amino-terminal lysine residue of rat connexin40 that is required for spermine blockXianming Lin
Department of Pharmacology, SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY 13210, USA
J Physiol 570:251-69. 2006Spermine blocks connexin40 (Cx40) gap junctions, and two cytoplasmic amino-terminal domain glutamate residues are essential for this inhibitory activity...
- Rapid endothelial cell-selective loading of connexin 40 antibody blocks endothelium-derived hyperpolarizing factor dilation in rat small mesenteric arteriesSimon Mather
Department of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, University of Bath, Claverton Down, Bath BA2 6AD, UK
Circ Res 97:399-407. 2005..this technique, endothelial cell loading either with antibodies to the intracellular carboxyl-terminal region of Cx40 (residues 340 to 358) or mimetic peptide for the cytoplasmic loop (Cx40; residues 130 to 140) each markedly ..
- Connexins: gaps in our knowledge of vascular functionXavier F Figueroa
Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics, Cardiovascular Research Center, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908, USA
Physiology (Bethesda) 19:277-84. 2004....
- Angiotensin II receptor blockade corrects altered expression of gap junctions in vascular endothelial cells from hypertensive ratsYasuo Kansui
Department of Medicine and Clinical Science, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Maidashi 3 1 1, Higashi ku, Fukuoka, 812 8582, Japan
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 287:H216-24. 2004..Confocal laser scanning microscopy after immunofluorescent labeling with antibodies against Cx37, Cx40, and Cx43 revealed that the expression of Cx37 and Cx40 in endothelial cells of the mesenteric artery was ..
- Action potential modulation of connexin40 gap junctional conductanceXianming Lin
Department of Pharmacology, State University of New York Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, New York 13210, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 286:H1726-35. 2004Connexin40 (Cx40) is abundantly expressed in the atrial myocardium, ventricular conduction system, and vascular endothelial and smooth muscle cells of the mammalian cardiovascular system...
- Expression and regulation of connexins in cultured ventricular myocytes isolated from adult rat heartsLioudmila O Polontchouk
Institute for Cell Biology, ETH Honggerberg, 8093 Zurich, Switzerland
Pflugers Arch 443:676-89. 2002..Double immunostaining allowed the localization of connexins Cx40, Cx43, and Cx45 between myocytes and demonstrated co-expression and co-localization in individual cells and gap ..
- Improved radiation hybrid map of rat chromosome 2: colocalization of the genes encoding corticotropin-releasing hormone and IL6-receptor with quantitative trait loci regulating the inflammatory responseJ F Laes
Universite Libre de Bruxelles, IBMM, Gosselies, Belgium
Cytogenet Cell Genet 92:130-3. 2001..Our data show that they reside within regions that were genetically defined as QTLs controlling the inflammatory response. These genes are thus both functional and positional candidates...
- Individual gap junction plaques contain multiple connexins in arterial endotheliumH I Yeh
National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, London, England, UK
Circ Res 83:1248-63. 1998..Up to 3 connexin types, connexin40 (Cx40), Cx37, and Cx43 may be expressed in vascular endothelium according to vascular site, species, and physiological ..
- Genomic organization of the rat connexin40 gene: identical transcription start sites in heart and lungW A Groenewegen
Utrecht University, Department of Medical Physiology and Sports Medicine, The Netherlands
Cardiovasc Res 38:463-71. 1998The gap junction protein connexin(Cx)40 is developmentally and tissue-specifically expressed. How Cx40 expression is regulated is unknown...
- Mouse connexin40: gene structure and promoter analysisK H Seul
Department of Pediatrics, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Genomics 46:120-6. 1997..Connexin40 (Cx40) is one of these proteins, and it exhibits limited expression only in a few cells of the cardiovascular system...
- Four novel members of the connexin family of gap junction proteins. Molecular cloning, expression, and chromosome mappingJ A Haefliger
Department of Anatomy and Cellular Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115
J Biol Chem 267:2057-64. 1992..On the basis of their predicted molecular mass, these proteins have been designated connexin (Cx) 40 (Cx40), Cx37, Cx33, and Cx31.1...