Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Gjd2
Description: gap junction protein, delta 2
Alias: Cx36, Gja9, gap junction delta-2 protein, connexin-36, gap junction alpha-9 protein, gap junction membrane channel protein alpha 9
- Synchronous activity of inhibitory networks in neocortex requires electrical synapses containing connexin36M R Deans
Department of Neurobiology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Neuron 31:477-85. 2001..in such activity, we constructed mice expressing histochemical reporters in place of the gap junction protein Cx36. Localization of the reporter with somatostatin and parvalbumin suggested that Cx36 was expressed largely by ..
- The role of Cx36 and Cx43 in 4-aminopyridine-induced rhythmic activity in the spinal nociceptive dorsal horn: an electrophysiological study in vitroChristopher W P Kay
School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Leeds, Leeds, LS2 9JT, United Kingdom
Physiol Rep 4:. 2016..RT-qPCR) was used to profile developmental expression of two specific Cx proteins, namely glial Cx43 and neuronal Cx36, in postnatal lumbar spinal cord aged 4, 7, and 14 days...
- Analysis of connexin expression during seizures induced by 4-aminopyridine in the rat hippocampusMedina Ceja Laura
Laboratory of Neurophysiology and Neurochemistry, Department of Cellular and Molecular Biology, CUCBA, University of Guadalajara, camino Ing R Padilla Sánchez 2100, Las Agujas, Nextipac, Zapopan, Jalisco, Mexico
J Biomed Sci 22:69. 2015..In these animals, convulsive behavior and EEG signals were analyzed...
- Connexin36 expression in major centers of the auditory system in the CNS of mouse and rat: Evidence for neurons forming purely electrical synapses and morphologically mixed synapsesM E Rubio
Departments of Otolaryngology and Neurobiology, University of Pittsburgh Medical School, Pittsburgh, USA
Neuroscience 303:604-29. 2015Electrical synapses formed by gap junctions composed of connexin36 (Cx36) are widely distributed in the mammalian central nervous system (CNS)...
- Hippocampal GABAergic interneurons coexpressing alpha7-nicotinic receptors and connexin-36 are able to improve neuronal viability under oxygen-glucose deprivationL P Voytenko
Department of Cytology, Bogomoletz Institute of Physiology, Kiev, Ukraine Electronic address
Brain Res 1616:134-45. 2015..GABAergic signaling, nicotinic receptors expressing α7-subunit (α7nAChRs(+)) and connexin-36 (Cx36(+), electrotonic gapjunctions protein) contradictory modulate post-ischemic environment...
- Developmental changes in the expression level of connexin36 in the rat retinaTamás Kovács-Öller
Department of Experimental Zoology and Neurobiology, University of Pecs, Pecs, Ifjusag Street 6, Hungary
Cell Tissue Res 358:289-302. 2014Connexin36 (Cx36) is the major gap junction forming protein in the brain and the retina; thus, alterations in its expression indicate changes in the corresponding circuitry...
- Gap junction proteins in the light-damaged albino ratCindy X Guo
Department of Optometry and Vision Science, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand New Zealand National Eye Centre, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Mol Vis 20:670-82. 2014..We hypothesized that gap junctions are important mediators in tissue dysfunction and injury processes in the retina, and therefore, we investigated the pattern of connexin protein expression in the light-damaged albino rat eye...
- Inhibition of connexin 36 hemichannels by glucose contributes to the stimulation of insulin secretionJavier Pizarro-Delgado
Biochemistry Department, Medical School, Complutense University, Madrid, Spain
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 306:E1354-66. 2014The existence of functional connexin36 (Cx36) hemichannels in β-cells was investigated in pancreatic islets of rat and wild-type (Cx36(+/+)), monoallelic (Cx36(+/-)), and biallelic (Cx36(-/-)) knockout mice...
- Connexin36 in gap junctions forming electrical synapses between motoneurons in sexually dimorphic motor nuclei in spinal cord of rat and mouseW Bautista
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Manitoba, 745 Bannatyne Ave, Winnipeg, MB, R3E 0J9, Canada
Eur J Neurosci 39:771-87. 2014..linked by gap junctions, we examined immunofluorescence labeling for the gap junction-forming protein connexin36 (Cx36) in male and female mice and rats...
- Connexin36 contributes to INS-1E cells survival through modulation of cytokine-induced oxidative stress, ER stress and AMPK activityF Allagnat
Department of Medicine, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois CHUV, Lausanne Switzerland
Cell Death Differ 20:1742-52. 2013Cell-to-cell communication mediated by gap junctions made of Connexin36 (Cx36) contributes to pancreatic β-cell function. We have recently demonstrated that Cx36 also supports β-cell survival by a still unclear mechanism...
- Hyperglycemia downregulates Connexin36 in pancreatic islets via the upregulation of ICER-1/ICER-1γJacques Antoine Haefliger
Service of Internal Medicine, Department of Physiology, University Hospital Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
J Mol Endocrinol 51:49-58. 2013..continuous glucose infusion in adult rats, we showed that prolonged (24-48 h) hyperglycemia reduced the Cx36 gene Gjd2 mRNA levels in pancreatic islets...
- High-resolution proteomic mapping in the vertebrate central nervous system: close proximity of connexin35 to NMDA glutamate receptor clusters and co-localization of connexin36 with immunoreactivity for zonula occludens protein-1 (ZO-1)J E Rash
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO, USA
J Neurocytol 33:131-51. 2004..1-0.3 microm) to neuronal gap junctions labeled for Cx35, which is the fish ortholog of connexin36 (Cx36) found at neuronal gap junctions in mammals...
- Association of connexin36 and zonula occludens-1 with zonula occludens-2 and the transcription factor zonula occludens-1-associated nucleic acid-binding protein at neuronal gap junctions in rodent retinaC Ciolofan
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Manitoba, 730 William Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R3E 3J7
Neuroscience 140:433-51. 2006....
- Differential expression of hippocampal connexins after acute hypoxia in the developing brainMichele P Zeinieh
Department of Biology, American University of Beirut, Beirut, Lebanon
Brain Dev 32:810-7. 2010..b>Cx36 protein levels transiently decreased at P11 after acute hypoxia then returned to control levels...
- Evidence for connexin36 localization at hippocampal mossy fiber terminals suggesting mixed chemical/electrical transmission by granule cellsJames I Nagy
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Manitoba, 745 Bannatyne Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R3E 0J9
Brain Res 1487:107-22. 2012..between dendrites of parvalbumin-positive interneurons, a high density of fine, punctate immunolabeling for Cx36, non-overlapping with parvalbumin, was found in subregions of the stratum lucidum in the ventral hippocampus of rat ..
- Sleep deprivation and sleep recovery modifies connexin36 and connexin43 protein levels in rat brainJavier Franco-Pérez
Department of Neurophysiology, National Institute of Neurology and Neurosurgery, National Autonomous University of Mexico, Mexico DF, Mexico
Neuroreport 23:103-7. 2012....
- Connexin 36 expression regulates neuronal differentiation from neural progenitor cellsElizabeth M Hartfield
Henry Wellcome Laboratories for Integrative Neuroscience and Endocrinology, University of Bristol, Bristol, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 6:e14746. 2011..b>Connexin 36 (Cx36) is expressed extensively in the developing brain, with levels peaking at P14 after which its levels fall ..
- The murine gap junction gene connexin36 is highly expressed in mouse retina and regulated during brain developmentG Sohl
Institut fur Genetik, Abteilung Molekulargenetik, Universitat Bonn, Germany
FEBS Lett 428:27-31. 1998..Connexin36 mRNA (2.9 kb) is highly expressed in adult retina and less abundant in brain where it gradually increased during fetal development until day 7 post partum, and decreased thereafter...
- Identification of cells expressing Cx43, Cx30, Cx26, Cx32 and Cx36 in gap junctions of rat brain and spinal cordJ E Rash
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins 80523, USA
Cell Commun Adhes 8:315-20. 2001We have identified cells expressing Cx26, Cx30, Cx32, Cx36 and Cx43 in gap junctions of rat central nervous system (CNS) using confocal light microscopic immunocytochemistry and freeze-fracture replica immunogold labeling (FRIL)...
- Cx36 and the function of endocrine pancreasA Calabrese
Department of Morphology, University of Geneva, Geneve, Switzerland
Cell Commun Adhes 8:387-91. 2001..The insulin-producing beta-cells, which form the bulk of endocrine pancreatic islets, express predominantly Cx36. To assess the function of this connexin, we have first studied its expression in rats, during sequential changes ..
- Connexin-36 contributes to control function of insulin-producing cellsSabine Le Gurun
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital, CHUV 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
J Biol Chem 278:37690-7. 2003Connexin-36 (Cx36) is a gap junction protein expressed by the insulin-producing beta-cells...
- Critical role of the transcriptional repressor neuron-restrictive silencer factor in the specific control of connexin36 in insulin-producing cell linesDavid Martin
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital, CHUV 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
J Biol Chem 278:53082-9. 2003Connexin36 (Cx36) is specifically expressed in neurons and in pancreatic beta-cells. Cx36 functions as a critical regulator of insulin secretion and content in beta-cells...
- Cellular expression of connexins in the rat brain: neuronal localization, effects of kainate-induced seizures and expression in apoptotic neuronal cellsDaniele F Condorelli
Department of Chemical Sciences, Section of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Catania, Catania, Italy
Eur J Neurosci 18:1807-27. 2003..immunohistochemical detection for neuronal markers, we provide evidence that, among cerebral connexins (Cx26, Cx32, Cx36, Cx37, Cx40, Cx43, Cx45 and Cx47), only Cx45 and Cx36 mRNAs are localized in neuronal cells in both developing and ..
- Expression of gap junction connexin36 in adult rat retinal ganglion cellsSoh Hidaka
Department of Physiology, Fujita Health University School of Medicine, Toyoake, Aichi 470 1192 Japan
J Integr Neurosci 1:3-22. 2002..A member of gap junction channel subunit connexin36 (Cx36), is probed for the location of cell-to-cell communication in the mammalian retina, where gap junction networks of ..
- Extended cocaine self-administration and deprivation produces region-specific and time-dependent changes in connexin36 expression in rat brainClinton B McCracken
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157, USA
Synapse 58:141-50. 2005..These results suggest that changes in neuronal gap junction expression may be one mechanism by which cocaine self-administration produces enduring changes in behavior...
- Glucose represses connexin36 in insulin-secreting cellsFlorent Allagnat
Department of Internal Medicine, Laboratory of Molecular Biology 19 135S, University Hospital, CHUV 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
J Cell Sci 118:5335-44. 2005The gap-junction protein connexin36 (Cx36) contributes to control the functions of insulin-producing cells. In this study, we investigated whether the expression of Cx36 is regulated by glucose in insulin-producing cells...
- Beta cell coupling and connexin expression change during the functional maturation of rat pancreatic isletsC P F Carvalho
Department of Histology and Embryology, Institute of Biology, University of Campinas UNICAMP, Campinas, Sao Paulo, CEP 13083 970, Brazil
Diabetologia 53:1428-37. 2010..We investigated the cellular production and localisation of CX36 and CX43, and gap junction-mediated beta cell coupling in pancreatic islets from rats of different ages, displaying ..
- Changes in hippocampal connexin 36 mRNA and protein levels during epileptogenesis in the kindling model of epilepsySiamak Beheshti
Department of Animal Biology, School of Biology, University College of Science, Tehran University, Tehran, Iran
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 34:510-5. 2010..One of the main brain regions involved in epileptogenesis is the hippocampus in which there is a network of gap junctional communication between different cell types...
- Dopamine-stimulated dephosphorylation of connexin 36 mediates AII amacrine cell uncouplingW Wade Kothmann
Richard S Ruiz Department of Ophthalmology, University of Texas Medical School at Houston, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Neurosci 29:14903-11. 2009..These electrical synapses are widespread in the CNS and serve a variety of important functions. In the retina, connexin 36 (Cx36) gap junctions couple AII amacrine cells and are a requisite component of the high-sensitivity rod ..
- Loss of connexin36 in rat hippocampus and cerebellar cortex in persistent Borna disease virus infectionChristiane Köster-Patzlaff
Center of Anatomy, University of Gottingen, Kreuzbergring 36, 37075 Gottingen, Germany
J Chem Neuroanat 37:118-27. 2009..of electrical synapses, and we, therefore, analysed expression of the neuronal gap junction protein connexin36 (Cx36) in the Lewis rat hippocampal formation, and cerebellar cortex, 4 and 8 weeks after neonatal infection...
- Immunohistochemical detection of connexin36 in sympathetic preganglionic and somatic motoneurons in the adult ratNephtali Marina
Department of Physiology, University College London, London, WC1 E6BT, UK
Auton Neurosci 139:15-23. 2008..Gap junctions in the adult spinal cord are constituted principally by connexin36 (Cx36). However, the distribution of Cx36 in specific neuronal populations of the spinal cord is unknown...
- ATP release by way of connexin 36 hemichannels mediates ischemic tolerance in vitroSarah C Schock
Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ont, Canada
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 368:138-44. 2008..Knockdown of connexin 36 expression by siRNA greatly reduces the amount of ATP released during depolarization and the subsequent degree ..
- ICER-1gamma overexpression drives palmitate-mediated connexin36 down-regulation in insulin-secreting cellsFlorent Allagnat
Department of Medicine, University Hospital, CHUV 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
J Biol Chem 283:5226-34. 2008Channels formed by the gap junction protein connexin36 (Cx36) contribute to the proper control of insulin secretion. We investigated the impact of chronic hyperlipidemia on Cx36 expression in pancreatic beta-cells...
- Identification of connexin36 in gap junctions between neurons in rodent locus coeruleusJ E Rash
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Colorado State University, Campus Delivery 1617, Fort Collins, CO 80523, USA
Neuroscience 147:938-56. 2007..In early postnatal development, connexin36 (Cx36) and connexin43 (Cx43) immunofluorescent puncta were densely distributed in the locus coeruleus, whereas Cx32 and ..
- Immunoreactivity for the GABAA receptor alpha1 subunit, somatostatin and Connexin36 distinguishes axoaxonic, basket, and bistratified interneurons of the rat hippocampusAgnes Baude
MRC Anatomical Neuropharmacology Unit, Department of Pharmacology, Oxford University, Oxford OX1 3TH, UK
Cereb Cortex 17:2094-107. 2007..The differential expression of signaling molecules and the relative frequency of cells reflect the specialized temporal contribution of the 3 types of PV-positive interneurons to GABA release in the network...
- The connexin 36 blockers quinine, quinidine and mefloquine inhibit cortical spreading depression in a rat neocortical slice model in vitroDoru Georg Margineanu
UCB S A, CNS Research, B 1420 Braine l Alleud, Belgium
Brain Res Bull 71:23-8. 2006..to settle whether SD inhibition in vitro by quinine, quinidine and mefloquine reflects an involvement of neuronal Cx36 channels in SD generation/propagation, these results bear potential drug-discovery relevance for the migraine with ..
- Zeiss LSM 510 Laser Scanning MicroscopeJOHN RASH; Fiscal Year: 2002..The DIC Board of Directors will meet bi-monthly to insure continued efficient scheduling and operation of the replacement confocal microscope, to consider future upgrades, and to establish or change DIC access policies. ..
- Gap Junctions and Connexins in Developing CNSJOHN RASH; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Connexins in Neuronal and Glial Gap Junctions in the Central Nervous SystemJOHN RASH; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..