Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Kcnma1
Description: potassium calcium-activated channel subfamily M alpha 1
Alias: BKCa, KCNMA1b, KCNMA1c, Kcnma, Slo, cbv1, calcium-activated potassium channel subunit alpha-1, BK channel, BKCA alpha, KCa1.1, calcium-activated potassium channel alpha subunit, calcium-activated potassium channel, subfamily M subunit alpha-1, k(VCA)alpha, maxi K channel, maxiK, potassium channel, calcium activated large conductance subfamily M alpha, member 1, potassium large conductance calcium-activated channel, subfamily M, alpha member 1, slo homolog, slo-alpha, slo1, slowpoke homolog
- Decreased expression of voltage- and Ca(2+)-activated K(+) channels in coronary smooth muscle during agingJ Marijic
Department of Anesthesiology, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095 7115, USA
Circ Res 88:210-6. 2001..Because large-conductance voltage- and Ca(2+)-activated K(+) channels (MaxiK) are key regulators of vascular tone, we explored the possibility that this class of channels is diminished with ..
- Upregulation of STREX splice variant of the large conductance Ca2+-activated potassium (BK) channel in a rat model of mesial temporal lobe epilepsyBoris S Ermolinsky
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Texas at Brownsville Texas Southmost College, Brownsville, TX 78520, USA
Neurosci Res 69:73-80. 2011..large conductance Ca(2+) activated potassium (BK) channels are determined by complex alternative splicing of the Kcnma1 gene encoding the alpha pore-forming subunit...
- Role of large-conductance Ca²+-activated K+ channels in adenosine A₁ receptor-mediated pharmacological postconditioning in H9c2 cellsLaurice Fretwell
Nottingham Trent University, Nottingham, UK
Can J Physiol Pharmacol 89:24-30. 2011..These results have shown for the first time that BK(Ca) channels are involved in adenosine A₁ receptor-induced pharmacological postconditioning in a cell model system...
- Control of alternative splicing of potassium channels by stress hormonesJ Xie
Section of Neurobiology and Behavior, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Science 280:443-6. 1998..Expression of alternative splice variants of Slo, a gene encoding calcium- and voltage-activated potassium channels, was measured in rat adrenal chromaffin tissue ..
- Functional characteristics of two BKCa channel variants differentially expressed in rat brain tissuesT S Ha
Department of Life Science, Kwangju Institute of Science and Technology, Korea
Eur J Biochem 267:910-8. 2000..Ca2+-activated and voltage-activated K+ currents characteristic of neuronal large-conductance Ca2+-activated K+ (BKCa) channels...
- Slo1 caveolin-binding motif, a mechanism of caveolin-1-Slo1 interaction regulating Slo1 surface expressionAbderrahmane Alioua
Department of Anesthesiology, Brain Research Institute, Cardiovascular Research Laboratories, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1778, USA
J Biol Chem 283:4808-17. 2008The large conductance, voltage- and Ca2+-activated potassium (MaxiK, BK) channel and caveolin-1 play important roles in regulating vascular contractility...
- A novel MaxiK splice variant exhibits dominant-negative properties for surface expressionM M Zarei
Departments of Anesthesiology, Physiology, and Molecular and Medical Pharmacology and the Brain Research Institute, UCLA, Los Angeles, California 90095 7115, USA
J Biol Chem 276:16232-9. 2001We identified a novel MaxiK alpha subunit splice variant (SV1) from rat myometrium that is also present in brain...
- Expression of Ca2+-activated BK channel mRNA and its splice variants in the rat cochleaPatricia Langer
Institute of Physiology II, University of Tubingen, D 72076 Tubingen, Germany
J Comp Neurol 455:198-209. 2003..Extensive splicing of BK channel transcripts, however, does not seem to be used in mammalian hair cells as is done in lower vertebrates.
- Beta1 (KCNMB1) subunits mediate lithocholate activation of large-conductance Ca2+-activated K+ channels and dilation in small, resistance-size arteriesAnna N Bukiya
Department of Pharmacology, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, 874 Union Ave Memphis, TN 38163, USA
Mol Pharmacol 72:359-69. 2007..This study pinpoints the BK beta1 subunit as the molecule that senses LC, which results in myocyte BK channel activation and, thus, endothelial-independent relaxation of small, resistance-size arteries.
- Heme is a carbon monoxide receptor for large-conductance Ca2+-activated K+ channelsJonathan H Jaggar
Department of Physiology, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis 38139, USA
Circ Res 97:805-12. 2005....
- Effects of age on expression of BKca channel in vascular smooth muscle cells from mesenteric arteries of spontaneously hypertensive ratsZhi Hu
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, The First Affiliated Hospital of Xi an Jiaotong University Key Laboratory of Environmental and Gene Related Diseases Xi an Jiaotong University, Chinese Ministry of Education, No 277 West Yanta Road, Xi an, Shaanxi, 710061, China
J Physiol Biochem 69:945-55. 2013..However, changes in large conductance calcium-activated potassium (BKca) channel current density and channel protein composition during aging are not fully understood and are currently ..
- BK Knockout by TALEN-Mediated Gene Targeting in Osteoblasts: KCNMA1 Determines the Proliferation and Differentiation of OsteoblastsHongya Hei
Department of Pharmacology, School of Pharmacy, Fudan University, Shanghai 201203, China
Mol Cells 39:530-5. 2016....
- Orai1 forms a signal complex with BKCa channel in mesenteric artery smooth muscle cellsMeihua Chen
Department of Physiology, Anhui Medical University, Hefei, Anhui, China
Physiol Rep 4:. 2016....
- Myelin basic protein as a binding partner and calmodulin adaptor for the BKCa channelHyunyoung Kim
Department Life Science, Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology GIST, Gwangju, Korea
Proteomics 7:2591-602. 2007The activity and localization of large-conductance Ca2+ -activated K+ (BKCa) channels are known to be modulated by several different proteins...
- Unoprostone activation of BK (KCa1.1) channel splice variantsLing Yu
College of Resources and Environmental Sciences, Nanjing Agricultural University, Nanjing 210095, China
Biochim Biophys Acta 1848:2859-67. 2015..We used HEK293 cells stably transfected with two BK channel splice variants, one sensitive to unoprostone and the other insensitive...
- Protein-protein interaction between cPLA2 and splice variants of alpha-subunit of BK channelsJuan Li
Department of Anesthesiology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 298:C251-62. 2010....
- Replication study of genome-wide associated SNPs with late-onset Alzheimer's diseaseL C Burns
Department of Human Genetics, University of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 156:507-12. 2011..Significant associations were observed between AAO and ZNF224/rs3746319 (P = 0.002) and KCNMA1/rs16934131 (P = 0.0066)...
- A conserved serine of heterogeneous nuclear ribonucleoprotein L (hnRNP L) mediates depolarization-regulated alternative splicing of potassium channelsGuodong Liu
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Manitoba, 745 Bannatyne Ave, Winnipeg, MB R3E 0J9, Canada
J Biol Chem 287:22709-16. 2012..Here we show that the regulation of the stress axis-regulated exon of the Slo1 potassium channel transcripts by membrane depolarization requires a highly conserved CaMKIV target serine (Ser-513) ..
- Quercetin relaxes rat tail main artery partly via a PKG-mediated stimulation of KCa 1.1 channelsD Iozzi
Dipartimento di Scienze della Vita, Universita degli Studi di Siena, Siena, Italy
Acta Physiol (Oxf) 208:329-39. 2013..1) channels. Thus, the aim of the present investigation was to address the hypothesis that quercetin-induced vasorelaxation is caused by a PKG-mediated stimulation of KCa 1.1 currents...
- Relaxant effect of chloroquine in rat ileum: possible involvement of nitric oxide and BKCaFangmiao Jing
Department of Physiology, Shandong University School of Medicine, Jinan, China
J Pharm Pharmacol 65:847-54. 2013..This study investigated the effects of bitter compounds on the spontaneous contraction of longitudinal smooth muscle strips of rat ileum...
- A combination of genistein and magnesium enhances the vasodilatory effect via an eNOS pathway and BK(Ca) current amplificationLina Sun
Department of Neurology, The First Affiliated Hospital of Harbin Medical University, 23 Post Street, Harbin, Heilongjiang 150001, P R China
Can J Physiol Pharmacol 93:215-21. 2015..Our data suggest that GST plus magnesium provides enhanced vasodilatory effects in rat mesenteric arteries compared with that observed when either is used separately, which was related to an eNOS pathway and BK(Ca) current amplification...
- Aging decreases the contribution of MaxiK channel in regulating vascular tone in mesenteric artery by unparallel downregulation of α- and β1-subunit expressionLijun Shi
Department of Exercise Physiology, Beijing Sport University, Beijing 100084, China Electronic address
Mech Ageing Dev 134:416-25. 2013..Large-conductance Ca(2+)-activated K(+)(MaxiK) channel, with pore-forming α-subunit and modulatory β1-subunit, is a key regulator of vascular tone...
- Effects of palmitoylation on the diffusional movement of BKCa channels in live cellsSulgi Kim
School of Life Sciences, Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology GIST, Gwangju, Republic of Korea
FEBS Lett 588:713-9. 2014b>BKCa channels are palmitoylated at a cluster of cysteine residues within the cytosolic linker connecting the 1st and 2nd transmembrane domains, and this lipid modification affects their surface expression...
- Mg²⁺-dependent modulation of BKCa channels by genistein in rat arteriolar smooth muscle cellsXiaoran Wang
Department of Neurology, The First Affiliated Hospital of Harbin Medical University, Harbin, PR China
J Cell Physiol 229:1981-9. 2014..The mechanism of this biphasic effects involves PTK-independent amplification and [Mg(2+)]i -PTK-dependent inhibition...
- Exercise training reverses alterations in Kv and BKCa channel molecular expression in thoracic aorta smooth muscle cells from spontaneously hypertensive ratsZhencheng Li
Department of Exercise Physiology, Beijing Sport University, Beijing, China
J Vasc Res 51:447-57. 2014..alterations in voltage-gated potassium channels (Kv) and large-conductance, calcium-activated potassium channels (BKCa) in thoracic aorta smooth muscle cells from spontaneously hypertensive rats (SHRs)...
- Pharmacological blockade of the MaxiK channel attenuates experimental acute pancreatitis and associated lung injury in ratsJian Dong Ren
Department of Pharmacy, Chengdu Military General Hospital, Chengdu, China Electronic address
Int Immunopharmacol 21:220-4. 2014..Our previous work has provided a valuable clue that a large-conductance K(+) channel (MaxiK) was involved in the HS-stimulated activation of murine macrophages...
- Modulation of BK channel activities by calcium-sensing receptor in rat bronchopulmonary sensory neuronsZhanna V Vysotskaya
Division of Basic Medical Sciences, Mercer University School of Medicine, Macon, GA 31207, USA
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 203:35-44. 2014..of large-conductance Ca(2+)-activated potassium (BK) channels and to explore the possible modulation of BK channel activities by calcium-sensing receptors (CaSR) in rat bronchopulmonary sensory neurons...
- Activation of calcium- and voltage-gated potassium channels of large conductance by leukotriene B4Anna N Bukiya
From the Department of Pharmacology, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, Tennessee 38163 and
J Biol Chem 289:35314-25. 2014..b>BK channel regulation by direct interaction between lipid and channel protein sites has received increasing attention...
- Involvement of BK channel in differentiation of vascular smooth muscle cells induced by mechanical stretchXue Jiao Wan
Institute of Mechanobiology and Medical Engineering, School of Life Sciences and Biotechnology, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, China
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 59:21-9. 2015..was significantly increased by 15% stretch and was accompanied by an increased alternative splicing of BK channel α-subunit at the stress axis-regulated exons (STREX)...
- MitoBK(Ca) is encoded by the Kcnma1 gene, and a splicing sequence defines its mitochondrial locationHarpreet Singh
Department of Anesthesiology, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 110:10836-41. 2013The large-conductance Ca(2+)- and voltage-activated K(+) channel (BK(Ca), MaxiK), which is encoded by the Kcnma1 gene, is generally expressed at the plasma membrane of excitable and nonexcitable cells...
- Role of caveolin-1 in endothelial BKCa channel regulation of vasoreactivityMelissa A Riddle
Vascular Physiology Group, Dept of Cell Biology and Physiology, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131 0001, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 301:C1404-14. 2011..We conclude that CH unmasks EC BK(Ca) channel activity by removing an inhibitory action of the Cav-1 scaffolding domain that may depend on cellular cholesterol levels...
- BKCa and KV channels limit conducted vasomotor responses in rat mesenteric terminal arteriolesBjørn Olav Hald
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Pflugers Arch 463:279-95. 2012..This finding is potentially relevant to understanding the compromised microcirculatory blood flow in systemic vascular diseases such as diabetes mellitus and hypertension...
- [Changes of BKCa during aging and its correlation with blood pressure]Yu Wen Yang
Department of Cardiology of Yijishan Hospital, Wannan Medical College, Wuhu 241001, China
Zhongguo Ying Yong Sheng Li Xue Za Zhi 25:511-5. 2009To investigate the changes of large-conductance calcium-activated potassium channels (BKCa, MaxiK) during aging and relations between the changes and blood pressure.
- P2Y1 receptor modulation of Ca2+-activated K+ currents in medium-sized neurons from neonatal rat striatal slicesE Coppi
Research Department of Neuroscience, Physiology and Pharmacology, University College London, United Kingdom
J Neurophysiol 107:1009-21. 2012..Therefore, P2Y(1) signaling leading to activation of I(K(Ca)) may be important in regulating the activity of medium-sized neurons in the striatum...
- Aldosterone induces active K⁺ secretion by enhancing mucosal expression of Kcnn4c and Kcnma1 channels in rat distal colonSatish K Singh
Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine and Veterans Affairs Boston Healthcare System, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 302:C1353-60. 2012Although both Kcnn4c and Kcnma1 channels are present on colonic mucosal membranes, only Kcnma1 has been suggested to mediate K(+) secretion in the colon...
- Effect of exercise training volume on arterial contractility and BK(Ca) channel activity in rat thoracic aorta smooth muscle cellsLijun Shi
Department of Exercise Physiology, Beijing Sport University, Beijing 100084, People s Republic of China
Eur J Appl Physiol 112:3667-78. 2012..These data suggest that there is a dose effect for exercise training volume for the activation of BK(Ca) channels in vascular SMCs, which contributes to improvement of the arterial function in thoracic aortas...
- Regulation of endothelial BK channels by heme oxygenase-derived carbon monoxide and caveolin-1Melissa A Riddle
Vascular Physiology Group, Department of Cell Biology and Physiology, University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center, Albuquerque, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 303:C92-C101. 2012..We conclude that EC BK channel activity is HO dependent in the absence of the inhibitory effect of the Cav-1 scaffolding domain.
- Contribution of BK(Ca) channels of neurons in rostral ventrolateral medulla to CO-mediated central regulation of respiratory rhythm in medullary slices of neonatal ratsLi Chen
Department of Physiology, West China School of Preclinical and Forensic Medicine, Sichuan University, Chengdu, PR China
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 182:93-9. 2012..Altogether, these data indicate that BK(Ca) channels of the neurons in neonatal rostral ventrolateral medulla could be activated by CO and involved in CO-mediated central regulation of respiratory rhythm in medullary slices...
- Type 1 IP3 receptors activate BKCa channels via local molecular coupling in arterial smooth muscle cellsGuiling Zhao
Department of Physiology, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, TN 38163, USA
J Gen Physiol 136:283-91. 2010..In summary, data indicate that IP(3)R1 activation elevates BK(Ca) channel apparent Ca(2+) sensitivity through local molecular coupling in arterial smooth muscle cells...
- Splicing of the rSlo gene affects the molecular composition and drug response of Ca2+-activated K+ channels in skeletal muscleMaria Maddalena Dinardo
Departments of Pharmacobiology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
PLoS ONE 7:e40235. 2012..Patch-clamp experiments combined with transcript scanning of the Kcnma1 gene encoding the alpha subunit of the BK channel were performed in rat slow-twitch soleus (Sol) and fast-twitch flexor digitorum brevis (FDB) skeletal muscles...
- Molecular mechanisms of diabetic coronary dysfunction due to large conductance Ca2⁺-activated K⁺ channel impairmentRu xing Wang
Department of Cardiology, Wuxi People s Hospital Affiliated to Nanjing Medical University, Wuxi, Jiangsu 214023, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 125:2548-55. 2012..The purpose of this study is to determine the role of vascular large conductance Ca(2+)-activated K(+) (BK) channel activities in coronary dysfunction in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats...
- Steady-state and closed-state inactivation properties of inactivating BK channelsJiu Ping Ding
Washington University School of Medicine, Department of Anesthesiology, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Biophys J 82:2448-65. 2002..voltage-dependent K+ channels in chromaffin cells exhibit an inactivation that probably arises from coassembly of Slo1 alpha subunits with auxiliary beta subunits...
- Increased expression of Ca2+-sensitive K+ channels in aorta of hypertensive ratsY Liu
Department of Physiology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee 53226, USA
Hypertension 30:1403-9. 1997....
- Identification and localization of Ca(2+)-activated K+ channels in rat sciatic nerveH Mi
Department of Molecular and Cellular Physiology, Beckman Center, Stanford University Medical Center, California 94305, USA
Glia 26:166-75. 1999..In the present study, we examined the slo family of Ca(2+)-activated K+ channels, a class of channel that had not previously been identified in myelinated ..
- Presynaptic Ca2+-activated K+ channels in glutamatergic hippocampal terminals and their role in spike repolarization and regulation of transmitter releaseH Hu
Institute of Physiology, University of Oslo, Blindern, N 0317 Oslo, Norway
J Neurosci 21:9585-97. 2001..Double-labeling immunogold analysis with BK channel and glutamate receptor antibodies indicated that BK channels are targeted to the presynaptic membrane facing the ..
- Properties of large conductance calcium-activated potassium channels in pyramidal neurons from the hippocampal CA1 region of adult ratsL W Gong
Department of Physiology, The First Military Medical University, Guangzhou, 510515, China
Jpn J Physiol 51:725-31. 2001....
- Leptin inhibits rat hippocampal neurons via activation of large conductance calcium-activated K+ channelsLynne J Shanley
Department of Pharmacology and Neuroscience, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, University of Dundee, Dundee DD1 9SY, UK
Nat Neurosci 5:299-300. 2002
- Nitric oxide enhances Ca(2+)-dependent K(+) channel activity in rat carotid body cellsJeane M Silva
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Medical College of Georgia, 1120 15th Street, Augusta, GA 30912 2300, USA
Pflugers Arch 443:671-5. 2002....
- Assembly of a Ca2+-dependent BK channel signaling complex by binding to beta2 adrenergic receptorGuoxia Liu
Division of Cardiology and Center for Molecular Cardiology, Department of Medicine, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
EMBO J 23:2196-205. 2004Large-conductance voltage and Ca2+-activated potassium channels (BKCa) play a critical role in modulating contractile tone of smooth muscle, and neuronal processes...
- Diminished surface clustering and increased perinuclear accumulation of large conductance Ca2+-activated K+ channel in mouse myometrium with pregnancyMansoureh Eghbali
Department of Anesthesiology, Division of Molecular Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California 90095 1778, USA
J Biol Chem 278:45311-7. 2003..However, in rats, the main mechanism for the reduced channel expression at the cell surface is a diminished transcription, whereas in mice, it is an altered traffic to the surface...
- Opposing actions of adrenal androgens and glucocorticoids on alternative splicing of Slo potassium channels in bovine chromaffin cellsGuey Jen Lai
Department of Neurobiology and Behavior, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:7722-7. 2002..a precipitous change in the relative abundance of two alternative splice variants of the "BK"- or "Maxi K"-encoding Slo gene in adrenal chromaffin cells...
- cAMP activates BKCa channels in pulmonary arterial smooth muscle via cGMP-dependent protein kinaseScott A Barman
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, Georgia 30912, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 284:L1004-11. 2003....
- Stimulatory action of internal protons on Slo1 BK channelsVladimir Avdonin
Department of Pharmacology, College of Medicine, The University of Iowa, Iowa City 52242, USA
Biophys J 84:2969-80. 2003..These results indicate that the acid-sensitivity of the Slo BK channel may involve the channel domain implicated in the divalent-dependent activation.
- Functional effects of auxiliary beta4-subunit on rat large-conductance Ca(2+)-activated K(+) channelTal Soo Ha
Department of Life Science, Kwangju Institute of Science and Technology, Gwangju, 500 712, Korea
Biophys J 86:2871-82. 2004..To understand the physiological roles of the beta4-subunit on the BK(Ca) channel alpha-subunit (Slo), we isolated a full-length complementary DNA of rat beta4-subunit (rbeta4), expressed heterolgously in Xenopus ..
- Regulation of Slo potassium channel alternative splicing in the pituitary by gonadal testosteroneS F Mahmoud
Department of Neurobiology and Behavior, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
J Neuroendocrinol 16:237-43. 2004b>Slo gene-encoded BK potassium channels are prominent in both adrenomedullary and pituitary tissues. At one alternative splicing site, both tissues express variants with and without the optional 'STREX' exon...
- KCa1.1 channel contributes to cell excitability in unmyelinated but not myelinated rat vagal afferentsBai Yan Li
Dept of Biomedical Engineering, Indiana University Purdue University, 723 W Michigan St, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 300:C1393-403. 2011....
- Haem can bind to and inhibit mammalian calcium-dependent Slo1 BK channelsXiang Dong Tang
Department of Physiology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Nature 425:531-5. 2003..This direct regulation of the BK channel identifies a previously unknown role of haem as an acute signalling molecule.
- Profiling the phospho-status of the BKCa channel alpha subunit in rat brain reveals unexpected patterns and complexityJiusheng Yan
Department of Neurobiology, Physiology and Behavior, College of Biological Sciences, University of California, Davis, California 95616, USA
Mol Cell Proteomics 7:2188-98. 2008....
- Regulation of alternative splicing of Slo K+ channels in adrenal and pituitary during the stress-hyporesponsive period of rat developmentGuey Jen Lai
Department of Neurobiology and Behavior, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 14853, USA
Endocrinology 147:3961-7. 2006..Previous evidence indicates that pituitary and steroid hormones regulate alternative splicing of the Slo gene at the stress axis-regulated exon (STREX), with functional implications for the calcium-activated K+ channels ..
- Co-localization of the alpha-subunit of BK-channels and c-PLA2 in GH3 cellsD D Denson
Department of Anesthesiology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 350:39-49. 2006..of the BK-channel was strongly co-immunoprecipitated by c-PLA2 antibodies, suggesting that most of the BK channel alpha-subunits are associated with c-PLA2...
- BKCa-Cav channel complexes mediate rapid and localized Ca2+-activated K+ signalingHenrike Berkefeld
Institute of Physiology, University of Freiburg, Hermann Herder Strasse 7, 79104 Freiburg, Germany
Science 314:615-20. 2006Large-conductance calcium- and voltage-activated potassium channels (BKCa) are dually activated by membrane depolarization and elevation of cytosolic calcium ions (Ca2+)...
- Diversity of Ca2+-activated K+ channel transcripts in inner ear hair cellsKirk W Beisel
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Creighton University, 2500 California Plaza, Omaha, Nebraska 68178, USA
Gene 386:11-23. 2007..These channels are thought to play a role in the tonotopic gradient observed in the mammalian cochlea. Mouse Kcnma1 transcripts, 5' and 3' ESTs, and genomic sequences were examined for the utilization of alternative splicing in ..
- Diabetes-induced changes in the alternative splicing of the slo gene in corporal tissueKelvin P Davies
Department of Urology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Eur Urol 52:1229-37. 2007Erectile dysfunction is a common diabetic complication. Preclinical studies have documented that the Slo gene (encoding the BK or Maxi-K channel alpha-subunit) plays a critical role in erectile function...
- RACK1 is a BKCa channel binding proteinChristina Kaldany Isacson
Molecular Cardiology Research Institute, Tufts New England Medical Center, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 292:C1459-66. 2007..Thus RACK1 binds to the BK(Ca) channel and it may form part of a BK(Ca)-channel regulatory complex in vascular smooth muscle...
- Protein phosphatase 2A and Ca2+-activated K+ channels contribute to 11,12-epoxyeicosatrienoic acid analog mediated mesenteric arterial relaxationChristiana Dimitropoulou
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA, USA
Prostaglandins Other Lipid Mediat 83:50-61. 2007..These findings provide initial evidence that PP2A activity contributes to 11,12-EET and 11,12-EET analog activation of mesenteric resistant artery BK(Ca) channels and vasorelaxation...
- CaM kinase II phosphorylation of slo Thr107 regulates activity and ethanol responses of BK channelsJianxi Liu
Department of Pharmacology, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, 874 Union Avenue, Memphis, Tennessee 38163, USA
Nat Neurosci 9:41-9. 2006..We identified Thr107 of bovine slo (bslo) in this loop as a critical residue that determines BK channel responses to alcohol...
- Alternative splicing of Slo channel gene programmed by estrogen, progesterone and pregnancyNing Zhu
Department of Anesthesiology, Division of Molecular Medicine, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095 7115, USA
FEBS Lett 579:4856-60. 2005STREX alternative-exon adds to Slo channel a phosphorylation sequence that can invert protein kinase A (PKA) regulation from excitatory to inhibitory...
- Stimulatory actions of di-8-butyl-amino-naphthyl-ethylene-pyridinium-propyl-sulfonate (di-8-ANEPPS), voltage-sensitive dye, on the BKCa channel in pituitary tumor (GH3) cellsSheng Nan Wu
Department of Physiology, National Cheng Kung University Medical College, No 1, University Road, Tainan 70101 Taiwan, Republic of China
Pflugers Arch 455:687-99. 2008..Taken together, this study suggests that during the exposure to di-8-ANEPPS, the stimulatory effects on BK(Ca) channels could be one of potential mechanisms through which it may affect cell excitability...
- Identification and functional characterization of cereblon as a binding protein for large-conductance calcium-activated potassium channel in rat brainSooyeon Jo
Department of Life Science, Gwangju Institute Science and Technology GIST, Gwangju, Republic of Korea
J Neurochem 94:1212-24. 2005..the direct interaction of cereblon (CRBN) with the cytosolic carboxy-terminus of the BK(Ca) channel alpha subunit (Slo)...
- Cytoplasmic BK(Ca) channel intron-containing mRNAs contribute to the intrinsic excitability of hippocampal neuronsThomas J Bell
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:1901-6. 2008..These data suggest a new regulatory mechanism for modulating the membrane properties and ion channel gradients of hippocampal neurons...
- Direct regulation of BK channels by phosphatidylinositol 4,5-bisphosphate as a novel signaling pathwayThirumalini Vaithianathan
Department of Pharmacology, The University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, TN 38163, USA
J Gen Physiol 132:13-28. 2008..C (PLC)-generated PIP(2) metabolites that target Ca(2+) stores and protein kinase C and, eventually, the BK channel. Here, we report that PIP(2) activates BK channels independently of PIP(2) metabolites...
- Direct interaction between BKCa potassium channel and microtubule-associated protein 1ASoo Mi Park
Department of Physiology and Cellular Biophysics, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY, USA
FEBS Lett 570:143-8. 2004The BKCa channel, a potassium channel that is allosterically activated by voltage and calcium, is expressed in both excitable and non-excitable cells. The channel plays an important role in regulating membrane excitability...
- Molecular studies of BKCa channels in intracranial arteries: presence and localizationHelle Wulf
Department of Neurology and Danish Headache Centre, Glostrup Research Institute, Glostrup Hospital, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Nordre Ringvej 69, 2600, Glostrup, Denmark
Cell Tissue Res 334:359-69. 2008..The data thus suggest the presence and localization of both mRNA and protein expression of the BK(Ca) channel in the smooth muscle cell layer in rat basilar, middle cerebral, and middle meningeal arteries...
- TRPC1 associates with BK(Ca) channel to form a signal complex in vascular smooth muscle cellsHiu Yee Kwan
Institute of Vascular Medicine, Li Ka Shing Institute of Health Sciences, and Department of Physiology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Circ Res 104:670-8. 2009..The hyperpolarizing effect of TRPC1-BK(Ca) coupling could serve to reduce agonist-induced membrane depolarization, thereby preventing excessive contraction of VSMCs to contractile agonists...
- Modulation of the conductance-voltage relationship of the BK(Ca) channel by shortening the cytosolic loop connecting two RCK domainsJu Ho Lee
Department of Life Science, Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology, Gwangju, Korea
Biophys J 97:730-7. 2009..Thus, the functional activity of the BK(Ca) channel can be modulated by altering the tension of this loop region...
- Hemoxygenase-2 is an oxygen sensor for a calcium-sensitive potassium channelSandile E J Williams
School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT, UK
Science 306:2093-7. 2004..We demonstrate that hemoxygenase-2 (HO-2) is part of the BK channel complex and enhances channel activity in normoxia...
- Novel role of endothelial BKCa channels in altered vasoreactivity following hypoxiaJennifer M Hughes
Vascular Physiology Group, Department of Cell Biology and Physiology, University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131 0001, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 299:H1439-50. 2010..IBTX was without effect on K(+) current in controls. We conclude that hypobaric CH induces increased endothelial BK(Ca) channel activity that contributes to reduced myogenic responsiveness and EC and VSM cell hyperpolarization...
- The role of the large-conductance voltage-dependent and calcium-activated potassium (BK(Ca)) channels in the regulation of rat ductus arteriosus toneFang Sun
International Research and Educational Institute for Integrated Medical Sciences, Tokyo Women s Medical University, 8 1 Kawada cho, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 162 8666, Japan
Heart Vessels 25:556-64. 2010..Activation of BK(Ca) channels led to vasodilatation in the preconstricted DA induced by O₂, possibly suggesting a way to maintain the patency of DA after birth...
- Neuronal fast activating and meningeal silent modulatory BK channel splice variants cloned from ratAsser Nyander Poulsen
Department of Animal and Veterinary Basic Sciences, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Groennegaardsvej 7, Frederiksberg C, Denmark
Pflugers Arch 461:65-75. 2011..X1 variant may be important for a subpopulation of BK channels in the brain, while the "silent" truncated variants X2(92) and X2(188) may play a role as modulators of other BK channel variants in a way similar to well known beta subunits.
- Thromboxane A2 receptor and MaxiK-channel intimate interaction supports channel trans-inhibition independent of G-protein activationMin Li
Department of Anesthesiology, and Brain Research Institute, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:19096-101. 2010Large conductance voltage- and calcium-activated potassium channels (MaxiK, BK(Ca)) are well known for sustaining cerebral and coronary arterial tone and for their linkage to vasodilator β-adrenergic receptors...
- BK channels mediate cholinergic inhibition of high frequency cochlear hair cellsEric Wersinger
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Center for Hearing and Balance, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e13836. 2010..The objectives of this study were to investigate the tonotopic contribution of BK channels to voltage- and ligand-gated currents in mature outer hair cells from the rat cochlea...
- Immunolocalization of the Ca2+-activated K+ channel Slo1 in axons and nerve terminals of mammalian brain and cultured neuronsHiroaki Misonou
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, University of California, Davis, 95616, USA
J Comp Neurol 496:289-302. 2006Ca(2+)-activated voltage-dependent K(+) channels (Slo1, KCa1.1, Maxi-K, or BK channel) play a crucial role in controlling neuronal signaling by coupling channel activity to both membrane depolarization and intracellular Ca(2+) signaling...
- Regulation of Slo Splicing in the Urogenital SystmeKelvin Davies; Fiscal Year: 2006..in urogenital physiology this research project will investigate the effect of hormones on splicing of the Slo gene in urogenital smooth muscle tissue in vivo and in vitro...
- Solamere QLC100 Nipkow Spinning Disk Confocal UnitJONATHAN JAGGAR; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Vcsa1 (hSMR3A) as a Marker for DiabetesKelvin Davies; Fiscal Year: 2008..The final aim will be to determine expression levels of hSMR3A protein from diabetic and non-diabetic patients (in saliva, blood and corporal samples) as an indicator of vascular health. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- PKC Signaling in cAMP-Induced Pulmonary VasodilationSCOTT BARMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..Activation of large-conductance, calcium- and voltage-activated potassium (BKCa) channels is important in the regulation of pulmonary arterial pressure and inhibition of BKCa channels has been ..
- The Role of Vsca1 in Erectile FunctionKelvin P Davies; Fiscal Year: 2010..Vcsal/hSMR3A expression might also be used as a non-subjective marker of erectile function. ..