Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Panx1
Description: Pannexin 1
Alias: px1, pannexin-1
- Pannexin-1 mediates large pore formation and interleukin-1beta release by the ATP-gated P2X7 receptorPablo Pelegrin
Department of Biomedical Science, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
EMBO J 25:5071-82. 2006....
- ATP released via pannexin-1 hemichannels mediates bladder overactivity triggered by urothelial P2Y6 receptorsM Alexandrina Timóteo
Laboratório de Farmacologia e Neurobiologia UMIB, Instituto de Ciências Biomédicas Abel Salazar Universidade do Porto ICBAS UP, Porto, Portugal
Biochem Pharmacol 87:371-9. 2014..Data indicate that activation of P2Y6 receptors causes bladder overactivity in the anaesthetized rat indirectly by releasing ATP from the urothelium via pannexin-1 hemichannels. ..
- The pannexin 1 channel activates the inflammasome in neurons and astrocytesWilliam R Silverman
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, Florida 33136, USA
J Biol Chem 284:18143-51. 2009..In primary macrophages, potassium ion flux and the membrane channel pannexin 1 have been suggested to play roles in inflammasome activation...
- Pannexin 1 constitutes the large conductance cation channel of cardiac myocytesMarie Cecile Kienitz
Department of Cellular Physiology, Ruhr University Bochum, 44780 Bochum, Germany
J Biol Chem 286:290-8. 2011..A potential candidate for this channel is pannexin 1 (Panx1), which has been shown to form large ion channels when expressed in Xenopus oocytes and mammalian cells...
- P2Y2 receptor activation opens pannexin-1 channels in rat carotid body type II cells: potential role in amplifying the neurotransmitter ATPMin Zhang
Department of Biology, McMaster University, 1280 Main St West, Hamilton, Ontario L8S 4K1, Canada
J Physiol 590:4335-50. 2012..We propose that CB type II cells may function as ATP amplifiers during chemotransduction via paracrine activation of P2Y2Rs and Panx-1 channels...
- Characterization of novel Pannexin 1 isoforms from rat pituitary cells and their association with ATP-gated P2X channelsShuo Li
Section on Cellular Signaling, Program in Developmental Neuroscience, NICHD, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 4510, USA
Gen Comp Endocrinol 174:202-10. 2011Our previous studies have showed that Pannexin 1 (Panx1), a member of a recently discovered family of gap junction proteins, is expressed in the pituitary gland...
- The P2X7 receptor and Pannexin-1 are both required for the promotion of multinucleated macrophages by the inflammatory cytokine GM-CSFIrma Lemaire
Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario K1H 8M5, Canada
J Immunol 187:3878-87. 2011..These data demonstrate that both P2X(7) and Panx-1 are required for GM-CSF promotion of MA fusion but likely act independently through different signaling pathway(s)...
- P2X7 receptor agonists pre- and postcondition the heart against ischemia-reperfusion injury by opening pannexin-1/P2X₇ channelsDonald A Vessey
Liver Study Unit, Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, San Francisco, California 94121, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 301:H881-7. 2011..The data point out for the first time the potential of P2X(7) agonists as cardioprotectants...
- Mechanosensitive release of adenosine 5'-triphosphate through pannexin channels and mechanosensitive upregulation of pannexin channels in optic nerve head astrocytes: a mechanism for purinergic involvement in chronic strainJonathan M Beckel
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Department of Anesthesiology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania Department of Pharmacology and Chemical Biology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Glia 62:1486-501. 2014..genes for panx1, panx2, and panx3 were increased, whereas immunohistochemistry confirmed increased expression of pannexin 1 protein...
- Pannexin 1 channels play essential roles in urothelial mechanotransduction and intercellular signalingHiromitsu Negoro
Department of Urology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York, United States of America
PLoS ONE 9:e106269. 2014..In other cell types, pannexin 1 (Panx1) channels provide a pathway for mechanically-induced ATP efflux and for ATP-induced ATP release through ..
- Ischemic preconditioning requires opening of pannexin-1/P2X(7) channels not only during preconditioning but again after index ischemia at full reperfusionDonald A Vessey
Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Liver Study Unit 151 K, 4150 Clement St, San Francisco, CA 94121, USA
Mol Cell Biochem 351:77-84. 2011..This correlates with an inability to generate phospho-Akt at reperfusion. IPC prevents this loss and thereby primes the cell for response to cardioprotectants released at full reperfusion...
- Functional significance of the negative-feedback regulation of ATP release via pannexin-1 hemichannels under ischemic stress in astrocytesSadahiro Iwabuchi
Laboratory of Cellular Cybernetics, Graduate School of Information Science and Technology, Hokkaido University, Sapporo 060 0814, Japan
Neurochem Int 58:376-84. 2011The opening of pannexin-1 (Px1) hemichannels is regulated by the activity of P2X(7) receptors (P2X(7)Rs)...
- Regulation of the pannexin-1 promoter in the rat epididymisJulie Dufresne
Institut National de la Recherche Scientifique Institut Armand Frappier, Universite du Quebec, Laval, Quebec, Canada
Biol Reprod 91:143. 2014..b>PANX1 and PANX3 are expressed in the male rat reproductive tract and their levels are regulated by androgens in the ..
- Implications of pannexin 1 and pannexin 3 for keratinocyte differentiationSteven J Celetti
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Western Ontario, London, ON, Canada
J Cell Sci 123:1363-72. 2010..In this study, Panx1 and Panx3 were detected in the epidermis of 13.5 day embryonic mice...
- Blockade of P2X7 receptors or pannexin-1 channels similarly attenuates postischemic damageAbraham Cisneros-Mejorado
Achucarro Basque Center for Neuroscience, Departamento de Neurociencias and CIBERNED, Universidad del Pais Vasco UPV EHU, Leioa, Spain
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 35:843-50. 2015..reduced with P2X7 and pannexin-1 blockers as well as in organotypic cultures derived from mice lacking P2X7 and pannexin 1. Subsequently, we used transient middle cerebral artery occlusion to monitor the neuroprotective effect of those ..
- Pannexin 1 channels mediate the release of ATP into the lumen of the rat urinary bladderJonathan M Beckel
Department of Anaesthesiology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA, 15261, USA Department of Pharmacology and Chemical Biology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA, 15261, USA Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, 19104, USA
J Physiol 593:1857-71. 2015..v. administration did not. Intravesical instillation of small interfering RNA-containing liposomes decreased pannexin 1 expression in the rat urothelium in vivo and increased bladder capacity...
- Pannexin-1 channels do not regulate α1-adrenoceptor-mediated vasoconstriction in resistance arteriesJames A Angus
Cardiovascular Therapeutics Unit, Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010, Australia Electronic address
Eur J Pharmacol 750:43-51. 2015..that in small resistance arteries α1D-adrenoceptor-mediated contraction is intimately linked to pannexin-1 (Px1) hemichannels that open to allow the release of ATP, from the smooth muscle effector cell, that acts back on P2Y ..
- The potassium channel subunit Kvbeta3 interacts with pannexin 1 and attenuates its sensitivity to changes in redox potentialsStefanie Bunse
Department of Neuroanatomy and Molecular Brain Research, Ruhr University, Bochum, Germany
FEBS J 276:6258-70. 2009b>Pannexin 1 (Panx1), a member of the second gap junction protein family identified in vertebrates, appears to preferentially form non-junctional membrane channels...
- Activation of pannexin-1 hemichannels augments aberrant bursting in the hippocampusRoger J Thompson
Department of Psychiatry and Brain Research Centre, University of British Columbia, 2211 Wesbrook Mall, Vancouver, BC V6T 2B5, Canada
Science 322:1555-9. 2008Pannexin-1 (Px1) is expressed at postsynaptic sites in pyramidal neurons, suggesting that these hemichannels contribute to dendritic signals associated with synaptic function...
- Pannexin-1 Up-regulation in the Dorsal Root Ganglion Contributes to Neuropathic Pain DevelopmentYuhao Zhang
From the Center for Neuroscience and Pain Research, Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine and
J Biol Chem 290:14647-55. 2015Pannexin-1 (Panx1) is a large-pore membrane channel involved in the release of ATP and other signaling mediators...
- Trafficking dynamics of glycosylated pannexin 1 proteinsDaniela Boassa
National Center for Microscopy and Imaging Research, Center for Research in Biological Systems, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093 0608, USA
Cell Commun Adhes 15:119-32. 2008..Rat pannexin 1 is glycosylated at N254 and this residue is important for plasma membrane targeting...
- Metabotropic NMDA receptor signaling couples Src family kinases to pannexin-1 during excitotoxicityNicholas L Weilinger
Hotchkiss Brain Institute, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Nat Neurosci 19:432-42. 2016..NMDARs, Src kinase and Panx1 form a signaling complex, and activation of Panx1 required phosphorylation at Y308...
- Pannexin protein expression in the rat middle cerebral arteryAlan R Burns
College of Optometry, University of Houston, Houston, Tex, USA
J Vasc Res 49:101-10. 2012..Pannexins are a recently discovered family of proteins that could potentially be involved in cell-to-cell communication. Herein, we sought to determine whether pannexins are expressed in rat middle cerebral artery (MCA)...
- Anoxia-induced NMDA receptor activation opens pannexin channels via Src family kinasesNicholas L Weilinger
Hotchkiss Brain Institute, Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 4N1
J Neurosci 32:12579-88. 2012..Pannexin-1 (Panx1) channels can be activated both by ischemia and NMDA receptors (NMDARs), but the mechanisms of Panx1 activation ..
- Pannexin1 contributes to pathophysiological ATP release in lipoapoptosis induced by saturated free fatty acids in liver cellsFeng Xiao
Deptartment of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX 75390 9151, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 303:C1034-44. 2012..Recent studies have shown that apoptosis in nonhepatic cells stimulates ATP release via activation of pannexin1 (panx1), and extracellular ATP functions as a proinflammatory signal for recruitment and activation of the inflammatory ..
- Pathways regulating the trafficking and turnover of pannexin1 protein and the role of the C-terminal domainRuchi Gehi
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario N6A 5C1, Canada
J Biol Chem 286:27639-53. 2011Pannexin1 (Panx1) is an integral membrane protein comprised of three species as follows: an unglycosylated core-Gly0, a high mannose-Gly1, and a complex glycosylated Gly2 species...
- Pannexins, a family of gap junction proteins expressed in brainRoberto Bruzzone
Department of Clinical Neurobiology, Interdisciplinary Center for Neurosciences, Im Neuenheimer Feld 364, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:13644-9. 2003..Here, we show that two of these genes, pannexin 1 (Px1) and Px2, are abundantly expressed in the CNS...
- Expression and roles of pannexins in ATP release in the pituitary glandShuo Li
Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 4510, USA
Endocrinology 152:2342-52. 2011..b>Pannexin 1 was more abundantly expressed in the anterior lobe, whereas pannexin 2 was more abundantly expressed in the ..
- Characterization of pannexin1 and pannexin3 and their regulation by androgens in the male reproductive tract of the adult ratPatrick Turmel
INRS Institut Armand Frappier, Universite du Quebec, Laval, Quebec, Canada
Mol Reprod Dev 78:124-38. 2011..To evaluate the role of Panxs in the male reproductive tract, we investigated the distribution and regulation of Panx1 and 3 in the testis, efferent ducts (ED), and epididymis of adult rats...
- Pannexin1 and Pannexin2 channels show quaternary similarities to connexons and different oligomerization numbers from each otherCinzia Ambrosi
National Center for Microscopy and Imaging Research, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093 0608, USA
J Biol Chem 285:24420-31. 2010..Protein gel and Western blot analysis confirmed Pannexin1 (Panx1) or Pannexin2 (Panx2) as the channel-forming proteins...
- Metabolic autocrine regulation of neurons involves cooperation among pannexin hemichannels, adenosine receptors, and KATP channelsMasahito Kawamura
Department of Pharmacology, Jikei University School of Medicine, Minato ku, Tokyo 105 8461, Japan
J Neurosci 30:3886-95. 2010....
- Pannexin-I/P2X 7 purinergic receptor channels mediate the release of cardioprotectants induced by ischemic pre- and postconditioningDonald A Vessey
Liver Study Unit, Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, San Francisco, CA, USA
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol Ther 15:190-5. 2010..Inhibitors of other P2X receptors, P2Y receptors, or connexins did not affect IPC. We conclude that a pannexin-1/P2X(7) channel is responsible for the release of cardioprotectants induced by ischemic pre- and postconditioning...
- Pannexin1 and pannexin3 delivery, cell surface dynamics, and cytoskeletal interactionsRuchi Bhalla-Gehi
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario N6A 5C1, Canada
J Biol Chem 285:9147-60. 2010..In this study, we utilized Cx43-positive BICR-M1R(k) cells to stably express Panx1, Panx3, or Panx1-green fluorescent protein (GFP) to assess their trafficking, cell surface dynamics, and interplay ..
- Identification and characterization of pannexin expression in the mammalian cochleaXiao Hui Wang
Department of Surgery Otolaryngology, University of Kentucky Medical Center, Lexington, Kentucky 40536, USA
J Comp Neurol 512:336-46. 2009..To date, three pannexin isoforms (Panx1, 2, and 3) have been cloned from mouse and human genomes...
- Expression of pannexin family of proteins in the retinaGalina Dvoriantchikova
Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL 33136, USA
FEBS Lett 580:2178-82. 2006Expression of the Panx1 and Panx2 members of the pannexin family of gap junction proteins was studied in the retina by in situ hybridization and qRT-PCR...