Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Slc22a5
Description: solute carrier family 22 member 5
Alias: CT1, OCTN2, UST2r, solute carrier family 22 member 5, high-affinity carnitine transporter, high-affinity sodium-dependent carnitine cotransporter, integral membrane transport protein, organic cation/carnitine transporter 2, solute carrier family 22 (organic cation transporter), member 5, solute carrier family 22 (organic cation/carnitine transporter), member 5
- Regulation of Octn2 transporter (SLC22A5) by peroxisome proliferator activated receptor alphaTomoji Maeda
Department of Membrane Transport and Pharmacokinetics, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Tokyo University of Science, Noda, Chiba, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 31:1230-6. 2008..membrane for beta-oxidation, are well controlled by carnitine transporter organic cation/carnitine transporter 2 (OCTN2)...
- Molecular cloning and characterization of high-affinity carnitine transporter from rat intestineT Sekine
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Kyorin University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Mitaka, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 251:586-91. 1998..anion transporters and an organic cation transporter, we isolated a novel cDNA encoding a carnitine transporter (CT1) from rat intestine. CT1 encodes a 557-amino-acid protein with 12 putative membrane-spanning domains...
- beta-lactam antibiotics as substrates for OCTN2, an organic cation/carnitine transporterM E Ganapathy
Department of Medicine, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, Georgia 30912, USA
J Biol Chem 275:1699-707. 2000..b>OCTN2 is an organic cation/carnitine transporter that is responsible for Na(+)-coupled transport of carnitine in the ..
- Organic cation/carnitine transporter, OCTN2, is differentially expressed in the adult rat epididymisCarmen M Rodriguez
Department of Cell Biology, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Biol Reprod 67:314-9. 2002..Recently, an organic cation transporter, OCTN2, was cloned from rat intestinal epithelium and shown to transport L-carnitine in a sodium-dependent manner...
- PPARalpha agonists up-regulate organic cation transporters in rat liver cellsSebastian Luci
Institute of Agricultural and Nutritional Sciences, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Emil Abderhalden Strasse 26, D 06108 Halle Saale, Germany
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 350:704-8. 2006..We conclude that PPARalpha agonists increase carnitine concentrations in livers of rats and cells by an increased uptake of carnitine into the cell but not by an increased carnitine biosynthesis...
- Caveolin-1--a novel interacting partner of organic cation/carnitine transporter (Octn2): effect of protein kinase C on this interaction in rat astrocytesMagdalena Czeredys
Department of Molecular and Cellular Neurobiology, Nencki Institute of Experimental Biology, Warsaw, Poland
PLoS ONE 8:e82105. 2013OCTN2--the Organic Cation Transporter Novel family member 2 (SLC22A5) is known to be a xenobiotic/drug transporter...
- Inhibition of the OCTN2 carnitine transporter by HgCl2 and methylmercury in the proteoliposome experimental model: insights in the mechanism of toxicityLorena Pochini
Department of Cell Biology, University of Calabria, Italy
Toxicol Mech Methods 23:68-76. 2013..method has been used as a useful approach to test the effect of HgCl(2) and methylmercury (MeHg) on the carnitine (OCTN2) transporter...
- Muscle contraction increases carnitine uptake via translocation of OCTN2Yasuro Furuichi
Graduate School of Natural Science and Technology, Kanazawa University, Kanazawa, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 418:774-9. 2012..OCTN2 (SLC22A5), a sodium-dependent solute carrier, is assumed to transport carnitine into skeletal muscle cells...
- The effects of exercise training on γ-butyrobetaine hydroxylase and novel organic cation transporter-2 gene expression in the ratTom L Broderick
Department of Physiology, Midwestern University, Glendale, AZ 85308, USA
Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 36:781-9. 2011..The organic cation transporter (OCTN2), the carnitine transporter found in kidney, is important in the distribution of carnitine by facilitating its ..
- Pharmacological manipulation of L-carnitine transport into L6 cells with stable overexpression of human OCTN2L Todesco
Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology and Department of Research, University Hospital, Basel, Switzerland
Cell Mol Life Sci 65:1596-608. 2008The high-affinity Na+-dependent carnitine transporter OCTN2 (SLC22A5) has a high renal expression and reabsorbs most filtered carnitine...
- Transport of organic cations across the blood-testis barrierTomoji Maeda
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Tokyo University of Science, Noda, Japan
Mol Pharm 4:600-7. 2007..In addition, OCT1, OCT3, OCTN1, and OCTN2 were expressed in Sertoli cells...
- Role of Na+/L-carnitine transporter (OCTN2) in renal handling of pivaloylcarnitine and valproylcarnitine formed during pivalic acid-containing prodrugs and valproic acid treatmentShuichi Ohnishi
Developmental Research Laboratories, Shionogi and Co, Ltd, Toyonaka, Osaka, Japan
Drug Metab Pharmacokinet 23:293-303. 2008..response, we investigated the renal handling of these acylcarnitines by Na+/L-carnitine cotransporter, OCTN2 using the isolated perfused rat kidney, rat OCTN2 (rOCTN2) and human OCTN2 (hOCTN2) expressing cells...
- Ontogeny of Na(+)/L-carnitine transporter and of gamma-trimethylaminobutyraldehyde dehydrogenase and gamma-butyrobetaine hydroxylase genes expression in rat kidneyMarta García-Delgado
Departamento Fisiología y Zoología, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad de Sevilla, Sevilla, Spain
Mech Ageing Dev 130:227-33. 2009The kidney synthesizes L-carnitine and reabsorbs it via the Na(+)/L-carnitine cotransporter OCTN2. This study investigates the ontogeny of OCTN2, gamma-trimethylaminobutyraldehyde dehydrogenase (TMABA-DH) and gamma-butyrobetaine ..
- Involvement of OCTN2 in the transport of acetyl-L-carnitine across the inner blood-retinal barrierMasanori Tachikawa
Department of Pharmaceutics, Graduate School of Medicine and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Toyama, Toyama, Japan
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 51:430-6. 2010..To elucidate the mechanisms of acetyl-L-carnitine transport across the inner blood-retinal barrier (inner BRB)...
- Expression of OCTN2 and OCTN3 in the apical membrane of rat renal cortex and medullaM M Cano
Facultad de Farmacia, Departamento de Fisiologia y Zoologia Biomembranes Group, Universidad de Sevilla, 41012Sevilla, Spain
J Cell Physiol 223:451-9. 2010..in apical membrane vesicles revealed that the apical membrane of rat kidney cortex and medulla presents OCTN2 and OCTN3 proteins and transports L-[(3)H]-carnitine in a Na(+)-dependent and -independent manner...
- High affinity carnitine transporters from OCTN family in neural cellsElzbieta Januszewicz
Nencki Institute of Experimental Biology, 3 Pasteur Street, 02 093, Warsaw, Poland
Neurochem Res 35:743-8. 2010..Present study demonstrates expression of octn2 and octn3 genes coding high affinity carnitine transporters, as well as presence of both proteins in neurons ..
- OCTN2 is associated with carnitine transport capacity of rat skeletal musclesY Furuichi
Graduate School of Natural Science and Technology, Kanazawa University, Kakuma machi, Kanazawa City, Ishikawa, Japan
Acta Physiol (Oxf) 200:57-64. 2010..b>OCTN2, a sodium-dependent solute carrier, is assumed to transport carnitine into various organs...
- LPS-induced inflammation downregulates mammary gland glucose, fatty acid, and L-carnitine transporter expression at different lactation stagesBinbing Ling
College of Pharmacy and Nutrition, University of Saskatchewan, 110 Science Place, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada S7N5C9
Res Vet Sci 89:200-2. 2010..Glut1, Glut8 and Sglt1, fatty acid transporters Fatp1, Fatp4 and Fabp3, and L-carnitine transporters Octn1, Octn2, and Octn3 were determined using the Comparative C(T) method...
- Localization of organic cation/carnitine transporter (OCTN2) in cells forming the blood-brain barrierDorota Miecz
Nencki Institute of Experimental Biology, Warszawa, Poland
J Neurochem 104:113-23. 2008..Therefore more detailed experiments were performed on expression and localization of a high affinity carnitine transporter OCTN2 in an in vitro model of the blood-brain barrier by real-time PCR, western blot analysis, and ..
- Treatment with pharmacological peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha agonist clofibrate causes upregulation of organic cation transporter 2 in liver and small intestine of ratsRobert Ringseis
Institut fur Agrar und Ernahrungswissenschaften, Martin Luther Universitat Halle Wittenberg, Emil Abderhalden Strasse 26, D 06108 Halle Saale, Germany
Pharmacol Res 56:175-83. 2007..Relative mRNA concentration of OCTN2 in liver and small intestine was increased in rats fed clofibrate (P<0...
- Successful carnitine treatment in two siblings having lipid storage myopathy with hypertrophic cardiomyopathyT Matsuishi
Neuropediatrics 16:6-12. 1985..Carnitine was decreased in the skeletal muscles and the serum. Treatment with DL-carnitine to both cases resulted in marked clinical improvement and decreased lipid droplets in the muscles...
- Experimental colitis: decreased Octn2 and Atb0+ expression in rat colonocytes induces carnitine depletion that is reversible by carnitine-loaded liposomesGiuseppe D'Argenio
Gastroenterology Unit, Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University Federico II, Naples, Italy
FASEB J 20:2544-6. 2006..We investigated this issue by examining the expression of the carnitine transporters OCTN2 and ATB0+, and butyrate metabolism in colonocytes in a rat model of IBD induced by trinitrobenzene sulfonic acid (..
- Carnitine/organic cation transporter OCTN2-mediated transport of carnitine in primary-cultured epididymal epithelial cellsDaisuke Kobayashi
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Tokyo University of Science, 2641 Yamasaki, Noda, Chiba 278 8510, Japan
Reproduction 130:931-7. 2005..uptake of carnitine by the cells was significantly reduced by inhibitors of carnitine/organic cation transporter (OCTN2), such as carnitine analogues and cationic compounds. In RT-PCR analysis, OCTN2 expression was detected...
- OCTN2-mediated transport of carnitine in isolated Sertoli cellsDaisuke Kobayashi
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Tokyo University of Science, 2641 Yamasaki, Noda, Chiba 278 8510, Japan
Reproduction 129:729-36. 2005..In RT-PCR analysis, the high-affinity carnitine transporter OCTN2 was detected in rat whole testis tissue and primary-cultured Sertoli cells...
- Phenotypic manifestations of the OCTN2 V295X mutation: sudden infant death and carnitine-responsive cardiomyopathy in Roma familiesBela Melegh
Department of Medical Genetics and Child Development, University of Pecs, Pecs, Hungary
Am J Med Genet A 131:121-6. 2004..with cardiomyopathy and decreased plasma carnitine levels, we identified homozygous deletion of 17081C of the SLC22A5 gene that results in a frameshift at R282D and leads ultimately to a premature stop codon (V295X) in the OCTN2 ..
- Functional variants of OCTN cation transporter genes are associated with Crohn diseaseVanya D Peltekova
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, and Department of Immunology, Mount Sinai Hospital Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Ontario, Canada
Nat Genet 36:471-5. 2004..organic cation transporter cluster at 5q31 (a missense substitution in SLC22A4 and a G-->C transversion in the SLC22A5 promoter) form a haplotype associated with susceptibility to Crohn disease...
- Downregulation of carnitine acyltransferases and organic cation transporter OCTN2 in mononuclear cells in healthy elderly and patients with myelodysplastic syndromesHeidrun Karlic
Ludwig Boltzmann Institute for Leukemia Research and Hematology, Hanusch Hospital, H Collinstrasse 30, 1140 Vienna, Austria
J Mol Med (Berl) 81:435-42. 2003..palmitoyltransferases (CPT1 and CPT2), carnitine acetyltransferase (CRAT), human specific microsomal CPT, and OCTN2 (organic cation transporter) in mononuclear cells of healthy humans of different age groups and MDS patients...
- Molecular cloning and functional characterization of the OCTN2 transporter at the RBE4 cells, an in vitro model of the blood-brain barrierAnne Friedrich
Forschungszentrum Rossendorf, Dresden, Germany
Brain Res 968:69-79. 2003..acid), a compound known to be transported by the organic cation transporter/carnitine transporter OCTN2, was studied in immortalized rat brain endothelial cells (RBE4)...
- Identification of two novel mutations in OCTN2 from two Saudi patients with systemic carnitine deficiencyZ Rahbeeni
Department of Medical Genetics, King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Centre, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
J Inherit Metab Dis 25:363-9. 2002..Recently, a human gene, SLC22A5, encoding a sodium-dependent high-affinity carnitine transporter OCTN2 was cloned from human kidney and shown to ..
- Functional characteristics and tissue distribution pattern of organic cation transporter 2 (OCTN2), an organic cation/carnitine transporterX Wu
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, Georgia, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 290:1482-92. 1999..b>OCTN2 transports organic cations without involving Na(+), but it transports carnitine only in the presence of Na(+)...
- Molecular cloning and characterization of two novel transport proteins from rat kidneyE Schomig
Department of Pharmacology, University of Heidelberg, Germany
FEBS Lett 425:79-86. 1998..Characteristic signatures for the ASF family were identified...
- AMINO ACID TRANSPORTER B: PHARMACOLOGY & THERAPEUTIC USEMalliga Ganapathy; Fiscal Year: 2006....