Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: CONSTANS
Description: B-box type zinc finger protein with CCT domain-containing protein
Alias: B-box domain protein 1, BBX1, CONSTANS, F14F8.220, F14F8_220
Species: thale cress
- The CONSTANS gene of Arabidopsis promotes flowering and encodes a protein showing similarities to zinc finger transcription factorsJ Putterill
John Innes Centre, Norwich Research Park, Colney, England
Cell 80:847-57. 1995..The onset of flowering is promoted by long photoperiods, but the constans (co) mutant flowers later than wild type under these conditions...
- CONSTANS and the CCAAT box binding complex share a functionally important domain and interact to regulate flowering of ArabidopsisStephan Wenkel
Max Planck Institute for Plant Breeding Research, D 50829 Cologne, Germany
Plant Cell 18:2971-84. 2006The CCT (for CONSTANS, CONSTANS-LIKE, TOC1) domain is found in 45 Arabidopsis thaliana proteins involved in processes such as photoperiodic flowering, light signaling, and regulation of circadian rhythms...
- DAY NEUTRAL FLOWERING represses CONSTANS to prevent Arabidopsis flowering early in short daysKarl Morris
Warwick HRI, Warwick University, Wellesbourne, Warwick CV35 9EF, United Kingdom
Plant Cell 22:1118-28. 2010The photoperiodic response in Arabidopsis thaliana requires the precise regulation of CONSTANS (CO) expression in relation to the light period during the day...
- The flowering time regulator CONSTANS is recruited to the FLOWERING LOCUS T promoter via a unique cis-elementShiv B Tiwari
Mendel Biotechnology Inc, 3935 Point Eden Way, Hayward, CA 94545, USA
New Phytol 187:57-66. 2010b>CONSTANS is an evolutionarily-conserved central component of the genetic pathway that controls the onset of flowering in response to daylength...
- FLOWERING BHLH transcriptional activators control expression of the photoperiodic flowering regulator CONSTANS in ArabidopsisShogo Ito
Department of Biology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 1800, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:3582-7. 2012..In Arabidopsis thaliana, transcriptional regulation of the CONSTANS (CO) gene and posttranslational regulation of CO protein are crucial mechanisms for proper day-length measurement ..
- FKF1 conveys timing information for CONSTANS stabilization in photoperiodic floweringYoung Hun Song
Department of Biology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Science 336:1045-9. 2012..In Arabidopsis, the long day-specific expression of CONSTANS (CO) protein is crucial for flowering induction...
- COP1-mediated ubiquitination of CONSTANS is implicated in cryptochrome regulation of flowering in ArabidopsisLi Jun Liu
National Key Laboratory of Plant Molecular Genetics, Institute of Plant Physiology and Ecology, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 200032, China
Plant Cell 20:292-306. 2008..Under LDs, the transcription of FLOWERING LOCUS T (FT) is activated by CONSTANS (CO) in leaf, and the FT protein moves to the shoot apex to induce flowering...
- RFI2, a RING-domain zinc finger protein, negatively regulates CONSTANS expression and photoperiodic floweringMingjie Chen
Department of Plant Biology, University of Minnesota, St Paul, 55108, USA
Plant J 46:823-33. 2006..The interactions and subsequent signalling steps upstream of the flowering genes such as CONSTANS (CO) and FLOWERING LOCUS T (FT) remain largely unknown...
- Distinct roles of GIGANTEA in promoting flowering and regulating circadian rhythms in ArabidopsisTsuyoshi Mizoguchi
Institute of Biological Sciences, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8572, Japan
Plant Cell 17:2255-70. 2005..In Arabidopsis thaliana, a circadian clock-controlled flowering pathway comprising the genes GIGANTEA (GI), CONSTANS (CO), and FLOWERING LOCUS T (FT) promotes flowering specifically under long days...
- CONSTANS mediates between the circadian clock and the control of flowering in ArabidopsisP Suárez-López
John Innes Centre, Norwich Research Park, Colney Lane, Norwich NR4 7UH, UK
Nature 410:1116-20. 2001..Here we show that expression of CONSTANS (CO), a gene that accelerates flowering in response to long days, is modulated by the circadian clock and day ..
- FKF1 F-box protein mediates cyclic degradation of a repressor of CONSTANS in ArabidopsisTakato Imaizumi
Department of Cell Biology, Scripps Research Institute, 10550 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Science 309:293-7. 2005The temporal control of CONSTANS (CO) expression and activity is a key mechanism in photoperiodic flowering in Arabidopsis...
- Arabidopsis SPA proteins regulate photoperiodic flowering and interact with the floral inducer CONSTANS to regulate its stabilitySascha Laubinger
Department of Plant Developmental and Molecular Biology, Geb 26 03 02, University of Dusseldorf, D 40225 Dusseldorf, Germany
Development 133:3213-22. 2006..Taken together, our results suggest, that SPA proteins regulate photoperiodic flowering by controlling the stability of the floral inducer CO...
- Arabidopsis DOF transcription factors act redundantly to reduce CONSTANS expression and are essential for a photoperiodic flowering responseFabio Fornara
Max Planck Institute for Plant Breeding Research, Carl von Linne Weg 10, Cologne, Germany
Dev Cell 17:75-86. 2009Flowering of Arabidopsis is induced by long summer days (LDs). The transcriptional regulator CONSTANS (CO) promotes flowering, and its transcription is increased under LDs...
- The Arabidopsis RING Domain Protein BOI Inhibits Flowering via CO-dependent and CO-independent MechanismsKhoa Thi Nguyen
Department of Biological Sciences, KAIST, Daejeon 305 701, Korea
Mol Plant 8:1725-36. 2015..BOIs repress the expression of FT by CONSTANS (CO)-dependent and -independent mechanisms: in the CO-dependent mechanism, BOIs bind to CO, inhibit the targeting ..
- DELLA proteins physically interact with CONSTANS to regulate flowering under long days in ArabidopsisFeng Xu
Key Laboratory of Urban Agriculture South Ministry of Agriculture and School of Agriculture and Biology, Shanghai Jiaotong University, China
FEBS Lett 590:541-9. 2016..Here, we show through biochemical studies that DELLA proteins physically interact with CONSTANS (CO). Furthermore, the interaction of CO with NF-YB2 is inhibited by the DELLA protein, RGA...
- Red Light-Mediated Degradation of CONSTANS by the E3 Ubiquitin Ligase HOS1 Regulates Photoperiodic Flowering in ArabidopsisAna Lazaro
Centro de Biotecnología y Genómica de Plantas, INIA UPM, Instituto Nacional de Investigacion y Tecnologia Agraria y Alimentaria, 28223 Madrid, Spain
Plant Cell 27:2437-54. 2015The regulation of CONSTANS (CO) gene expression is crucial to accurately measure changes in daylength, which influences flowering time in Arabidopsis thaliana...
- PFT1, the MED25 subunit of the plant Mediator complex, promotes flowering through CONSTANS dependent and independent mechanisms in ArabidopsisSabrina Iñigo
Fundacion Instituto Leloir, IIBBA CONICET, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Plant J 69:601-12. 2012....
- Phosphorylation of CONSTANS and its COP1-dependent degradation during photoperiodic flowering of ArabidopsisLiron Sarid-Krebs
Max Planck Institute for Plant Breeding Research, Carl von Linne Weg 10, Cologne, D 50829, Germany
Plant J 84:451-63. 2015Seasonal flowering involves responses to changes in day length. In Arabidopsis thaliana, the CONSTANS (CO) transcription factor promotes flowering in the long days of spring and summer...
- TWIN SISTER OF FT, GIGANTEA, and CONSTANS have a positive but indirect effect on blue light-induced stomatal opening in ArabidopsisEigo Ando
Division of Biological Science, Graduate School of Science, Nagoya University, Chikusa, Nagoya 464 8602, Japan
Plant Physiol 162:1529-38. 2013..We show in Arabidopsis (Arabidopsis thaliana) that TWIN SISTER OF FT (TSF), CONSTANS (CO), and GIGANTEA (GI) provide a positive effect on stomatal opening...
- Nucleolus-tethering system (NoTS) reveals that assembly of photobodies follows a self-organization modelYin Liu
National Key Laboratory of Plant Molecular Genetics, Shanghai Institute of Plant Physiology and Ecology, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 200032, China
Mol Biol Cell 25:1366-73. 2014....
- Variation in Arabidopsis flowering time associated with cis-regulatory variation in CONSTANSUlises Rosas
Department of Biology, Center for Genomics and Systems Biology, New York University, New York, New York 10003, USA
Nat Commun 5:3651. 2014..Here we identify and characterize natural variation in the cis-regulatory sequence in the transcription factor CONSTANS that underlies flowering time diversity in Arabidopsis...
- Nuclear factor Y-mediated H3K27me3 demethylation of the SOC1 locus orchestrates flowering responses of ArabidopsisXingliang Hou
Key Laboratory of South China Agricultural Plant Molecular Analysis and Genetic Improvement, South China Botanical Garden, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Guangzhou, Guangdong 510650, China
Nat Commun 5:4601. 2014..We show that NF-Y interacts with CONSTANS in the photoperiod pathway and DELLAs in the gibberellin pathway, to directly regulate the transcription of SOC1, ..
- Regulation of arabidopsis flowering by the histone mark readers MRG1/2 via interaction with CONSTANS to modulate FT expressionZhongyuan Bu
State Key Laboratory of Genetic Engineering, Collaborative Innovation Center for Genetics and Development, Institute of Plant Biology, School of Life Sciences, Fudan University, Shanghai, China
PLoS Genet 10:e1004617. 2014..In the model plant Arabidopsis thaliana, the transcription factor CONSTANS (CO) promotes expression of the florigen FLOWERING LOCUS T (FT), constituting a key flowering pathway under long-..
- BBX19 interacts with CONSTANS to repress FLOWERING LOCUS T transcription, defining a flowering time checkpoint in ArabidopsisChang Quan Wang
Department of Plant Biology, University of California, Davis, California 95616
Plant Cell 26:3589-602. 2014..expression of the Arabidopsis thaliana floral transition regulators FLOWERING LOCUS T (FT) and CONSTANS (CO) is antiphasic to that of BBX19, a transcription factor with two B-Box motifs...
- MicroProtein-Mediated Recruitment of CONSTANS into a TOPLESS Trimeric Complex Represses Flowering in ArabidopsisMoritz Graeff
Center for Plant Molecular Biology, University of Tubingen, Tubingen, Germany
PLoS Genet 12:e1005959. 2016..Here we show that two Arabidopsis thaliana microProteins, miP1a and miP1b, physically interact with CONSTANS (CO) a potent regulator of flowering time...
- Negative regulatory roles of DE-ETIOLATED1 in flowering time in ArabidopsisMin Young Kang
Department of Plant Science, Plant Genomics and Breeding Institute, Research Institute of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Seoul National University, Seoul 151 921, Korea
Sci Rep 5:9728. 2015..Thus, we propose that DET1 is a strong repressor of flowering and has a pivotal role in maintaining photoperiod sensitivity in the regulation of flowering time. ..
- Distinct roles of FKF1, Gigantea, and Zeitlupe proteins in the regulation of Constans stability in Arabidopsis photoperiodic floweringYoung Hun Song
Departments of Biology and Department of Life Sciences, Ajou University, Suwon 443 749, Korea and
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 111:17672-7. 2014..In Arabidopsis, the day-length-dependent regulation of Constans (CO) protein stability is crucial to induce flowering locus T (FT) expression for flowering in long days...
- Arabidopsis TOE proteins convey a photoperiodic signal to antagonize CONSTANS and regulate flowering timeBailong Zhang
State Key Laboratory of Genetic Engineering, Collaborative Innovation Center of Genetics and Development, Institute of Plant Biology, Center for Evolutionary Biology, School of Life Sciences, Fudan University, Shanghai 200438, China Ministry of Education Key Laboratory of Biodiversity and Ecological Engineering, Institute of Biodiversity Sciences, Fudan University, Shanghai 200438, China
Genes Dev 29:975-87. 2015..In Arabidopsis, CONSTANS (CO) and FLAVIN-BINDING KELCH REPEAT F-BOX1 (FKF1) promote flowering by inducing FLOWER LOCUS T (FT) expression ..
- PHYTOCHROME-DEPENDENT LATE-FLOWERING accelerates flowering through physical interactions with phytochrome B and CONSTANSMotomu Endo
Graduate School of Biostudies, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606 8501, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 110:18017-22. 2013..cryptochrome 2; and flavin-binding, KELCH repeat, F-BOX 1, phyB delays flowering mainly by destabilizing the CONSTANS (CO) protein, whose reduction leads to decreased expression of a florigen gene, flowering locus T...
- The Arabidopsis E3 ubiquitin ligase HOS1 negatively regulates CONSTANS abundance in the photoperiodic control of floweringAna Lazaro
Centro de Biotecnología y Genómica de Plantas, Instituto Nacional de Investigación y Tecnología Agraria y Alimentaria Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, 28223 Madrid, Spain
Plant Cell 24:982-99. 2012..The esd6/hos1 mutation causes decreased flowering locus C expression and requires CONSTANS (CO) protein for its early flowering phenotype under long days...
- The E3 ubiquitin ligase HOS1 regulates Arabidopsis flowering by mediating CONSTANS degradation under cold stressJae Hoon Jung
Department of Chemistry, Seoul National University, Seoul 151 742, Korea
J Biol Chem 287:43277-87. 2012..Here, we report that intermittent cold treatments trigger the degradation of CONSTANS (CO), a central activator of photoperiodic flowering; daily treatments caused suppression of the floral ..
- The sequence variation responsible for the functional difference between the CONSTANS protein, and the CONSTANS-like (COL) 1 and COL2 proteins, resides mostly in the region encoded by their first exonsSoon Kap Kim
Plant Signaling Network Research Center, Division of Life Sciences, Korea University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Plant Sci 199:71-8. 2013Although the protein CONSTANS (CO) and its close relatives CONSTANS-like (COL) 1 and COL2 exhibit high amino acid sequence similarities, only the CO protein regulates floral induction in Arabidopsis...
- Arabidopsis COP1 shapes the temporal pattern of CO accumulation conferring a photoperiodic flowering responseSeonghoe Jang
Department of Plant Developmental Biology, Max Planck Institute for Plant Breeding Research, Cologne, Germany
EMBO J 27:1277-88. 2008The transcriptional regulator CONSTANS (CO) promotes flowering of Arabidopsis under long summer days (LDs) but not under short winter days (SDs)...
- HYPERSENSITIVE TO RED AND BLUE 1 and its C-terminal regulatory function control FLOWERING LOCUS T expressionXiaojun Kang
Department of Plant Biology, University of Minnesota, St Paul, MN 55108, USA
Plant J 52:937-48. 2007..Overexpression of HRB1 did not affect the expression of the central clock oscillators, TOC1 and CCA1. HRB1 therefore represents a signaling step that regulates FT expression downstream of red and blue light perception...
- CONSTANS activates SUPPRESSOR OF OVEREXPRESSION OF CONSTANS 1 through FLOWERING LOCUS T to promote flowering in ArabidopsisSeung Kwan Yoo
Plant Signaling Network Research Center, School of Life Sciences and Biotechnology, Korea University, Seoul
Plant Physiol 139:770-8. 2005b>CONSTANS (CO) regulates flowering time by positively regulating expression of two floral integrators, FLOWERING LOCUS T (FT) and SUPPRESSOR OF OVEREXPRESSION OF CO 1 (SOC1), in Arabidopsis (Arabidopsis thaliana)...
- Acceleration of flowering during shade avoidance in Arabidopsis alters the balance between FLOWERING LOCUS C-mediated repression and photoperiodic induction of floweringAmanda C Wollenberg
Graduate Program in Cellular and Molecular Biology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
Plant Physiol 148:1681-94. 2008..A low red to far-red ratio required the photoperiod-pathway genes GIGANTEA (GI) and CONSTANS (CO) to fully accelerate flowering in long days and did not promote flowering in short days...
- The early-flowering mutant efs is involved in the autonomous promotion pathway of Arabidopsis thalianaW J Soppe
Laboratory of Genetics, Wageningen University, Dreijenlaan 2, Wageningen, The Netherlands
Development 126:4763-70. 1999..By comparing the length of the juvenile and adult phases of vegetative growth for wild-type, efs and the double mutant plants, it is apparent that efs mainly reduces the length of the adult phase...
- Interactions of the developmental regulator ABI3 with proteins identified from developing Arabidopsis seedsS Kurup
IACR Long Ashton Research Station, Department of Agricultural Sciences, University of Bristol, Long Ashton, UK
Plant J 21:143-55. 2000..All the AIPs show homology to existing transcription factors and therefore they may function with ABI3 within the network of transcriptional regulators that control embryo development in Arabidopsis...
- SPINDLY and GIGANTEA interact and act in Arabidopsis thaliana pathways involved in light responses, flowering, and rhythms in cotyledon movementsTong Seung Tseng
Department of Plant Biology and Plant Molecular Genetics Institute, University of Minesota, St Paul, Minesota 55108, USA
Plant Cell 16:1550-63. 2004..GI acts in the long-day flowering pathway upstream of CONSTANS (CO) and FLOWERING LOCUS T (FT). Loss of GI function causes late flowering and reduces CO and FT RNA levels...
- Graft transmission of a floral stimulant derived from CONSTANSBrian G Ayre
Department of Plant Biology, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Plant Physiol 135:2271-8. 2004..b>CONSTANS (CO) is implicated as a mediator between photoperiod perception and the transition to flowering in Arabidopsis...
- Identification of LOV KELCH PROTEIN2 (LKP2)-interacting factors that can recruit LKP2 to nuclear bodiesYosuke Fukamatsu
Division of Gene Research, Life Science Research Center, Kagawa University, 2393 Ikenobe, Miki cho Kita gun, Kagawa, 761 0795 Japan
Plant Cell Physiol 46:1340-9. 2005..Furthermore, the CFP-LKP2 and YFP-CO signals co-localized with signals for pU2B''-mRFP, which is a marker for Cajal bodies. These results suggest the possibility that LKP2 functions with CO/COL family proteins in the nuclear bodies...
- Independent roles for EARLY FLOWERING 3 and ZEITLUPE in the control of circadian timing, hypocotyl length, and flowering timeWoe Yeon Kim
Department of Plant Cellular and Molecular Biology, Plant Biotechnology Center, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Plant Physiol 139:1557-69. 2005..In contrast, ELF3 and ZTL overexpressors act similarly to control flowering time in long days through the CONSTANS/FLOWERING LOCUS T (CO/FT) pathway...
- Recent degeneration of an old duplicated flowering time gene in Brassica nigraP Sjödin
Evolutionary Functional Genomics, Evolutionary Biology Centre, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Heredity (Edinb) 98:375-84. 2007..Two copies of the flowering time gene CONSTANS (COa and COb) have been identified in B. nigra, and previous studies showed that COa is functional...
- Arabidopsis clock-associated pseudo-response regulators PRR9, PRR7 and PRR5 coordinately and positively regulate flowering time through the canonical CONSTANS-dependent photoperiodic pathwayNorihito Nakamichi
Division of Biological Science, Graduate School of Science, Nagoya University, Chikusa ku, Nagoya, 464 8602 Japan
Plant Cell Physiol 48:822-32. 2007..In the long-day plant Arabidopsis thaliana, CONSTANS (CO) plays a crucial role in integrating the circadian rhythm and environmental light signals into the ..
- [Molecular mechanism by which plant determines flowering timing with circadian clock]Mariko Sawa
Tanpakushitsu Kakusan Koso 53:739-46. 2008
- Isolation of CONSTANS as a TGA4/OBF4 interacting proteinYoung Hun Song
Environmental Biotechnology National Core Research Center, Division of Applied Life Science Brain Korea 21 Program, Plant Molecular Biology Biotechnology Research Center, Gyeongsang National University, Jinju 660 701, Korea
Mol Cells 25:559-65. 2008..Here we present evidence for a novel function of OBF4 as a regulator of flowering. We identified CONSTANS (CO), a positive regulator of floral induction, as an OBF4-interacting protein, in a yeast two-hybrid library ..
- Regulation of CONSTANS and FLOWERING LOCUS T expression in response to changing light qualitySang Yeol Kim
Department of Biology, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana 47405, USA
Plant Physiol 148:269-79. 2008..Previous work has shown that the floral promoter CONSTANS (CO) plays a critical role in day-length perception and exhibits complex regulation; CO mRNA is regulated by the ..
- The balance between CONSTANS and TEMPRANILLO activities determines FT expression to trigger floweringCristina Castillejo
Centre for Research in Agricultural Genomics, CSIC IRTA UAB, Jordi Girona 18, 08034 Barcelona, Spain
Curr Biol 18:1338-43. 2008..We envision that this might be a general mechanism between long-day plants to ensure a tight regulation of flowering time...
- CONSTANS and ASYMMETRIC LEAVES 1 complex is involved in the induction of FLOWERING LOCUS T in photoperiodic flowering in ArabidopsisYoung Hun Song
Division of Applied Life Science BK21 program, Plant Molecular Biology and Biotechnology Research Center, Graduate School of Gyeongsang National University, Jinju 660 701, Korea
Plant J 69:332-42. 2012..The day-length specific induction of FLOWERING LOCUS T (FT) regulated by CONSTANS (CO) is the crucial aspect of photoperiodic flowering in Arabidopsis thaliana...
- GENETIC CONTROL OF FLOWERINGPatent Number: WO9614414-A1; Date:1996-05-17