Alias: sea cucumbers, holothurians, Holothuroidea, Holothurioidea
Publications173 found, 100 shown here
- Neural control of muscle relaxation in echinodermsM R Elphick
School of Biological Sciences, Queen Mary, University of London, Mile End Road, London E1 4NS, UK
J Exp Biol 204:875-85. 2001..SALMFamide neuropeptides have also been isolated from sea cucumbers, in which they cause relaxation of both gut and body wall muscle...
- Molecular characterisation of SALMFamide neuropeptides in sea urchinsMaurice R Elphick
School of Biological and Chemical Sciences, Queen Mary, University of London, UK
J Exp Biol 208:4273-82. 2005..Members of this family have been identified in starfish (class Asteroidea) and in sea cucumbers (class Holothuroidea) but not in other echinoderms...
- Conservation status of Chinese species: (2) InvertebratesYan Xie
Institute of Zoology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China
Integr Zool 2:79-88. 2007..bivalves, decapods, benthic crustaceans, arachnids (spiders, scorpions), butterflies, moths, beetles, sea cucumbers, sea urchins, sea stars, acorn worms and lancelets...
- The central nervous system of sea cucumbers (Echinodermata: Holothuroidea) shows positive immunostaining for a chordate glial secretionVladimir S Mashanov
Department of Biology, University of Puerto Rico, P, O, Box 23360, UPR Station, Rio Piedras, PR 00931 3360, Puerto Rico
Front Zool 6:11. 2009..employs two polyclonal antisera raised against bovine Reissner's substance (RS), a secretory product produced by glial cells of the subcomissural organ, to study RS-like immunoreactivity in the central nervous system of sea cucumbers.
- Echinoderms: their culture and bioactive compoundsM S Kelly
Scottish Association for Marine Science, Oban, Argyll, Scotland, PA37 IQA, UK
Prog Mol Subcell Biol 39:139-65. 2005Of the five extant classes of echinoderms, it is the sea urchins (Echinoidea) and the sea cucumbers (Holothuroidea) that are both commercially fished and heavily overexploited...
- Tensilin-like stiffening protein from Holothuria leucospilota does not induce the stiffest state of catch connective tissueMasaki Tamori
W3 42, Department of Biological Sciences, Graduate School of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Tokyo Institute of Technology, O okayama 2 12 1, Tokyo 152 8551, Japan
J Exp Biol 209:1594-602. 2006The dermis of sea cucumbers is a catch connective tissue or mutable connective tissue that exhibits large changes in mechanical properties. A stiffening protein, tensilin, has been isolated from the sea cucumber Cucumaria frondosa...
- A novel stiffening factor inducing the stiffest state of holothurian catch connective tissueAkira Yamada
Kobe Advanced ICT Research Center, National Institute of Information and Communications Technology, Kobe, Hyogo 651 2492, Japan
J Exp Biol 213:3416-22. 2010The dermis of sea cucumbers is a catch connective tissue or mutable collagenous tissue that shows large changes in stiffness...
- Effects of dietary β-glucan, mannan oligosaccharide and their combinations on growth performance, immunity and resistance against Vibrio splendidus of sea cucumber, Apostichopus japonicusMin Gu
The Key Laboratory of Mariculture Ministry of Education, Ocean University of China, 5 Yushan Road, Qingdao 266003, PR China
Fish Shellfish Immunol 31:303-9. 2011..b>Sea cucumbers (1215 individuals with initial weight of 3.8 ± 0...
- Phenotypic and genetic characterization of bacteria isolated from diseased cultured sea cucumber Apostichopus japonicus in northeastern ChinaHua Li
Key Laboratory of Mariculture and Biotechnology, Agriculture Ministry, PRC, Dalian Fisheries University, Dalian 116023, China
Dis Aquat Organ 91:223-35. 2010..Thirty-one bacterial samples were isolated from diseased sea cucumbers and identified through biochemical tests, 16S rRNA gene sequence analysis and PCR amplification, followed by ..
- Filamentous fungi associated with holothurians from the sea of Japan, off the primorye coast of RussiaM V Pivkin
Pacific Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry, Far East Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Vladivostok, Russia
Biol Bull 198:101-9. 2000Holothurians (Holothurioidea, Echinodermata) are known to contain triterpene glycosides, which show antifungal activity. Nevertheless, fungi can be isolated from all organs of holothurians...
- Antibacterial activity in Strongylocentrotus droebachiensis (Echinoidea), Cucumaria frondosa (Holothuroidea), and Asterias rubens (Asteroidea)Tor Haug
Institute of Marine Biotechnology, The Norwegian College of Fishery Science, University of Tromsø, Breivika, Tromsø N 9037, Norway
J Invertebr Pathol 81:94-102. 2002..rubens. Haemolytic activity could be detected in all species tested, especially in the body wall extracts. Results from the current study suggest that marine echinoderms are a potential source for the discovery of novel antibiotics...
- Effect of diel activity patterns and harvesting pressure on the diversity and biomass of sea cucumbers in Marovo Lagoon, Solomon IslandsChristine Buckius
Centre for Water Studies, University of Queensland, St Lucia, QLD, Australia
Environ Manage 45:963-73. 2010..Continued observation of the recovery, post closure, and any subsequent harvest in Marovo will be required to properly understand population dynamics and provide a sustainable harvest plan for bêche-de-mer in the future...
- Identification of the pathogens associated with skin ulceration and peristome tumescence in cultured sea cucumbers Apostichopus japonicus (Selenka)Hongzhan Liu
College of Life Sciences, Ocean University of China, Qingdao, China
J Invertebr Pathol 105:236-42. 2010The aquaculture of sea cucumbers Apostichopus japonicus (Selenka) has developed rapidly in China in recent years, but is increasingly affected by diseases such as skin ulceration and peristome tumescence...
- Temporal and spatial distribution patterns of echinoderm larvae in La Parguera, Puerto RicoStacey M Williams
Department of Marine Sciences, University of Puerto Rico, P O Box 9013, University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez, PR
Rev Biol Trop 58:81-8. 2010..Ophiuroidea (brittle star) ranked second in abundance with 45.6% of the total larvae. Holothuroidea (sea cucumber) and Asteroidea larvae (sea star) accounted for less than 2% of the total echinoderm larval ..
- Cellular mechanisms of intestine regeneration in the sea cucumber, Holothuria glaberrima Selenka (Holothuroidea:Echinodermata)J E Garcia-Arraras
Department of Biology, University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras 00931
J Exp Zool 281:288-304. 1998..In particular, members of the class Holothuroidea are able to regenerate most of their internal organs following a typical evisceration process...
- [Bioremediation potential of Apostichopus japonicus (Selenka) in coastal bivalve suspension aquaculture system]Xiu tang Yuan
Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Qingdao, Shandong, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 19:866-72. 2008..amount of faeces and pseudofaeces (biodeposits) that may impact aquaculture environment, while deposit-feeding sea cucumbers may effectively utilize such particulate wastes and act as a scavenger in mariculture system...
- Enhancement of non-specific immune response in sea cucumber (Apostichopus japonicus) by Astragalus membranaceus and its polysaccharidesTingting Wang
Department of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Dalian University of Technology, Dalian 116024, People s Republic of China
Fish Shellfish Immunol 27:757-62. 2009..b>Sea cucumbers with an average initial weight of 49.3 +/- 5.65 g were fed with a diet containing 3% CP or SP or 0...
- Molecular phylogeny of coral-reef sea cucumbers (Holothuriidae: Aspidochirotida) based on 16S mitochondrial ribosomal DNA sequenceAlexander M Kerr
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Osborn Zoölogical Laboratories, Yale University, New Haven, CT 06520, U S A
Mar Biotechnol (NY) 7:53-60. 2005..Cuvierian tubules, defensive organs unique to numerous members of Holothuriidae, were probably present before the initial radiation of the family, but the reconstruction is ambiguous as to their ancestral function...
- NGIWYamide-induced contraction of tube feet and distribution of NGIWYamide-like immunoreactivity in nerves of the starfish Asterina pectiniferaApurba Kumar Saha
Department of Biological Sciences, Graduate School of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Tokyo Institute of Technology, O Okayama, Tokyo, Japan
Zoolog Sci 23:627-32. 2006NGIWYamide, a neuropeptide recently isolated from sea cucumbers, was tested on tube feet of the starfish Asterina pectinifera. NGIWYamide (10(-6)-10(-4) M) caused contraction of isolated tube feet...
- Acute peristome edema disease in juvenile and adult sea cucumbers Apostichopus japonicus (Selenka) reared in North ChinaPinhong Wang
Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Qingdao 266071, China
J Invertebr Pathol 96:11-7. 2007..Here we report virus-like particles found in intestine epithelium of sea cucumbers reared in North China. It is the first time that sea cucumbers are reported to be infected by virus...
- AChE and EROD activities in two echinoderms, Holothuria leucospilota and Holoturia atra (Holothuroidea), in a coral reef (Reunion Island, South-western Indian Ocean)Joanna Kolasinski
Laboratoire d Ecologie Marine, Universite de la Reunion, La Reunion, France
J Environ Sci Health A Tox Hazard Subst Environ Eng 45:699-708. 2010..More information on holothurians biology and physiology is needed to further assess biomarkers in these key species...
- [Chemo-pharmaceutical studies on the glycosphingolipid constituents from echinoderm, sea cucumbers, as the medicinal materials]Koji Yamada
Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kyushu University, 3 1 1 Maidashi, Higashi ku, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Yakugaku Zasshi 122:1133-43. 2002..This review summarizes the structures and biological activities of GSLs from sea cucumbers. This study showed that the characteristics of GSLs and structure-activity relationships had neuritogenic ..
- Gene flow and population history in high dispersal marine invertebrates: mitochondrial DNA analysis of Holothuria nobilis (Echinodermata: Holothuroidea) populations from the Indo-PacificS Uthicke
Australian Institute of Marine Science, PMB No 3, Townsville, Queensland 4810, Australia
Mol Ecol 12:2635-48. 2003..Thus, the population genetic structures detected are likely to be formed prior to the last ice age, with some indications for high dispersal on shorter time scales...
- The research progress of antitumorous effectiveness of Stichopus japonicus acid mucopolysaccharide in north of ChinaYun Lu
Department of Hepatobiliary Surgery, Affiliated Hospital of Medical College, Qingdao University, Qingdao, China
Am J Med Sci 337:195-8. 2009The sea cucumbers growing in the estuary of the Pohai of northern China are called Stichopus japonicus and are the orthodox holothurians in traditional Chinese medicine. There are multiple biological active ingredients in S...
- Application of morphological trends of evolution to phylogenetic interpretation of chemotaxonomic dataV I Kalinin
Pacific Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry, Far Eastern Division of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Vladivostok, Russia
J Theor Biol 180:1-10. 1996Data on the membranotropic action of triterpene glycosides from sea cucumbers (Holothurioidea, Echinodermata) are used as a model for studying the evolution of biochemical adaptations...
- [Marine life envenomations: example in New Caledonia]F Rual
université de Bordeaux II Victor Ségalen, France
Med Trop (Mars) 59:287-97. 1999..animals with contact venoms such as cnidaria (jellyfish, corals, sea anemones, and men-of-war), glaucus, sea cucumbers (holothurioidae), and sponges; and animals with more than one envenomation apparatus such as sea urchins and ..
- Chemical composition and nutritional quality of sea cucumbersJing Wen
Key Laboratory of Marine Bio resources Sustainable Utilization, South China Sea Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Guangzhou 510301, China
J Sci Food Agric 90:2469-74. 2010The dried form of sea cucumbers has been a seafood and medicinal cure for Asians over many centuries...
- Complete mitochondrial genome of the sea cucumber Apostichopus japonicus (Echinodermata: Holothuroidea): the first representative from the subclass Aspidochirotacea with the echinoderm ground patternXin Shen
Jiangsu Key Laboratory of Marine Biotechnology College of Marine Science, Huaihai Institute of Technology, Lianyungang 222005, China
Gene 439:79-86. 2009..present the complete mitochondrial genome sequence from a sea cucumber Apostichopus japonicus (Echinodermata: Holothuroidea), which is the first representative from the subclass Aspidochirotacea. The mitochondrial genome of A...
- Molecular phylogeny of eastern Pacific sea cucumbers (Echinodermata: Holothuroidea) based on mitochondrial DNA sequenceA Arndt
Institute of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Mol Phylogenet Evol 6:425-37. 1996A molecular phylogenetic analysis of some Holothuroidea was undertaken in order to clarify the systematics and taxonomy of this class in the northeast Pacific...
- Gamma-aminobutyric acid modulation of acetylcholine-induced contractions of a smooth muscle from an echinoderm (Sclerodactyla briareus)C L Devlin
Department of Biology, Penn State University, Abington College, Abington, PA 19001, USA
Invert Neurosci 4:1-8. 1999..evidence for the presence of GABAergic neurons innervating the longitudinal muscle of the body wall (LMBW) of holothurians. Gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) A and B receptor subtypes were both present in this system and regulated ..
- Biological activities and syntheses of steroidal saponins: the shark-repelling pavonininsJohn R Williams
Department of Chemistry, Temple University, 13 and Norris Sts, Philadelphia, PA 19122 2585, USA
Lipids 42:77-86. 2007..They have been isolated from many plants and some animals, especially sea cucumbers and starfish...
- Effect of the hemolytic lectin CEL-III from Holothuroidea Cucumaria echinata on the ANS fluorescence responses in sensitive MDCK and resistant CHO cellsT Oda
Division of Biochemistry, Faculty of Fisheries, Faculty of Engineering, Nagasaki University, Bunkyo Machi, Nagasaki, 852 8521, Japan
J Biochem 125:713-20. 1999..The difference in susceptibility of MDCK and CHO cells to CEL-III cytotoxicity may be due to a difference in oligomerization of bound CEL-III...
- Dynamic mechanical properties of body-wall dermis in various mechanical states and their implications for the behavior of sea cucumbersTatsuo Motokawa
Department of Biological Sciences, Graduate School of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Meguro, Tokyo, 152 8551 Japan
Biol Bull 205:261-75. 2003..The adaptive significance of each mechanical state in the behavior of sea cucumbers is discussed.
- Lipid, sterols and fatty acid composition of abyssal holothurians and ophiuroids from the North-East Pacific Ocean: food web implicationsJeffrey C Drazen
University of Hawaii, Department of Oceanography, 1000 Pope Road, Honolulu, HI 96822, USA
Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 151:79-87. 2008The lipid, fatty acid (FA), and sterol composition of two ophiuroids and four holothurians from the abyssal eastern North Pacific were analysed to assess their feeding habits and to ascertain their composition for use in a larger study to ..
- Characterization of an i-type lysozyme gene from the sea cucumber Stichopus japonicus, and enzymatic and nonenzymatic antimicrobial activities of its recombinant proteinLina Cong
Department of Biotechnology, School of Biological and Food Engineering, Dalian Polytechnic University, Dalian 116034, China
J Biosci Bioeng 107:583-8. 2009Because sea cucumbers lack a well-developed immune system and can ingest pathogenic bacteria together with food, some form of active antibacterial substances must be present in the body for defense...
- System-theoretical (Holistic) approach to the modelling of structural-functional relationships of biomolecules and their evolution: an example of triterpene glycosides from sea cucumbers (Echinodermata, holothurioidea)V I Kalinin
Far Eastern Division of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Pacific Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry, Vladivostok, 690022, Russia
J Theor Biol 206:151-68. 2000Triterpene glycosides from sea cucumbers (Holothurioidea, Echinodermata) are used as a model for studying the biochemical evolution for correlation between the glycoside membranolytic activity and biological functions...
- Constituents of Holothuroidea, 17. Isolation and structure of biologically active monosialo-gangliosides from the sea cucumber Cucumaria echinataFumiaki Kisa
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kyushu University Maidashi, Higashi ku, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 54:982-7. 2006..These gangliosides showed neuritogenic activity toward the rat pheochromocytoma cell line PC-12 in the presence of nerve growth factor...
- Triterpene glycosides from Antarctic sea cucumbers. 1. Structure of liouvillosides A1, A2, A3, B1, and B2 from the sea cucumber Staurocucumis liouvillei: new procedure for separation of highly polar glycoside fractions and taxonomic revisionAlexandr S Antonov
Pacific Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry of the Far East Division of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Pr 100 letya Vladivostoka 159, 690022, Vladivostok, Russian Federation
J Nat Prod 71:1677-85. 2008..Glycosides 2 and 3 contain 3-O-methylquinovose, found for the first time as a natural monosaccharide in sea cucumber glycosides. On the basis of analyses of glycoside structures a taxonomic revision is proposed...
- [Analysis study of trace elements in abalone and sea cucumber]Ying Wang
Chemistry and Life Science College, Shenyang Normal University, Shenyang 110034, China
Guang Pu Xue Yu Guang Pu Fen Xi 29:511-4. 2009Abalone and sea cucumbers are useful, which is related with trace elements in them...
- [Comparative study of cytotoxic and hemolytic effects of triterpenoids isolated from Ginseng and Sea cucumber]A M Popov
Pacific Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry, Far East Division of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Vladivostok, 690022 Russia
Izv Akad Nauk Ser Biol . 2002..tumor cells), hemolytic, and liposomal (effect on permeability) activities of triterpenoids isolated from sea cucumbers and ginseng roots were studied...
- Characterization of recombinant CEL-I, a GalNAc-specific C-type lectin, expressed in Escherichia coli using an artificial synthetic geneTomomitsu Hatakeyama
Department of Applied Chemistry, Faculty of Engineering, and Division of Biochemistry, Faculty of Fisheries, Nagasaki University, 1 14 Bunkyo machi, Nagasaki 852 8521
J Biochem 135:101-7. 2004CEL-I is a C-type lectin isolated from the Holothuroidea Cucumaria echinata. This lectin shows very high N-acetylgalactosamine-binding specificity...
- Mollisosides A, B1, and B2: minor triterpene glycosides from the New Zealand and South Australian sea cucumber Australostichopus mollisGreta Moraes
Industrial Research Ltd IRL, Lower Hutt, New Zealand
J Nat Prod 68:842-7. 2005..Their structures were determined by NMR and mass spectra. The presence of sulfated glycosides in sea cucumbers belonging to the family Stichopodidae is uncommon.
- Diving behaviour and decompression sickness among Galapagos underwater harvestersA A Westin
Department of Circulation and Medical Imaging, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, Norway
Undersea Hyperb Med 32:175-84. 2005..They harvest sea cucumbers from small boats with surface supplied air (hookah)...
- Exogonadal oogenesis in a temperate holothurianJean François Hamel
Society for the Exploration and Valuing of the Environment SEVE, 21 Phils Hill Road, Portugal Cove St Philips, Newfoundland A1M 2B7, Canada
Biol Bull 213:101-9. 2007Unusual structures were detected on the visceral peritoneum of the ovarian tubules in about 5%-10% of female sea cucumbers (Cucumaria frondosa) collected off Newfoundland, eastern Canada...
- Immune-related genes associated with intestinal tissue in the sea cucumber Holothuria glaberrimaFrancisco Ramírez-Gómez
Department of Biology, University of Puerto Rico, P O Box 23360, UPR Station, Rio Piedras, San Juan, PR 00931 3360
Immunogenetics 60:57-71. 2008..These results show the variety of immune molecules that may be found in holothurians and support the idea that the invertebrate immune system is more than a collection of simple innate responses...
- Synaptosides A and A1, triterpene glycosides from the sea cucumber Synapta maculata containing 3-O-methylglucuronic acid and their cytotoxic activity against tumor cellsSergey A Avilov
Pacific Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry, Far East Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Vladivostok, Russian Federation
J Nat Prod 71:525-31. 2008..carbohydrate chains featuring a 3- O-methylglucuronic acid residue not previously reported in glycosides from sea cucumbers and a 6- O-sulfated glucose. Glycoside 2 has an oxo group at C-7 and a 8(9)-double bond...
- Neuronal peptides induce oocyte maturation and gamete spawning of sea cucumber, Apostichopus japonicusShinichi Kato
Fishery Research Laboratory, Kyushu University, 2506 Tsuyazaki, Fukutsu 811 3304, Japan
Dev Biol 326:169-76. 2009..Mature eggs artificially spawned were fertilized, and developed normally and metamorphosed into young sea cucumbers. The details of the production and the mechanism of action of NGIWYamide are still unclear, but the high ..
- Triterpene glycosides from Antarctic sea cucumbers. 2. Structure of Achlioniceosides A(1), A(2), and A(3) from the sea cucumber Achlionice violaecuspidata (=Rhipidothuria racowitzai)Alexandr S Antonov
Pacific Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry of the Far East Division of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Pr 100 letya Vladivostoka 159, 690022, Vladivostok, Russian Federation
J Nat Prod 72:33-8. 2009..The sulfates are attached to C-6 of the glucose residues. Glycosides 1-3 are the first triterpene glycosides isolated from a sea cucumber belonging to the order Elasipodida...
- Gene expression profiling of intestinal regeneration in the sea cucumberPablo A Ortiz-Pineda
University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras, Department of Biology, San Juan, PR, USA
BMC Genomics 10:262. 2009..In particular, sea cucumbers are excellent models for studying organ regeneration since they regenerate their digestive tract after ..
- Molecular taxonomy, phylogeny and evolution in the family Stichopodidae (Aspidochirotida: Holothuroidea) based on COI and 16S mitochondrial DNAMaria Byrne
Schools of Medical and Biological Sciences, F13, University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
Mol Phylogenet Evol 56:1068-81. 2010..Evolutionary rates based on comparison of sequence from trans-ithmian Isostichopus species estimated that Stichopus and Isostichopus diverged ca. 5.5-10.7Ma (Miocene). More recent splits were estimated to be younger than 1Ma...
- In vitro fracture testing of submicron diameter collagen fibril specimensZhilei Liu Shen
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Biophys J 99:1986-95. 2010..stress-strain response curves up to failure of type I collagen fibril specimens isolated from the dermis of sea cucumbers were obtained in vitro. A majority of the fibril specimens showed brittle fracture...
- Transcriptome sequencing and characterization for the sea cucumber Apostichopus japonicus (Selenka, 1867)Huixia Du
Key Laboratory of Marine Genetics and Breeding, College of Marine Life Sciences, Ocean University of China, Qingdao, China
PLoS ONE 7:e33311. 2012b>Sea cucumbers are a special group of marine invertebrates. They occupy a taxonomic position that is believed to be important for understanding the origin and evolution of deuterostomes...
- Eelgrass detritus as a food source for the sea cucumber Apostichopus japonicus Selenka (Echinidermata: Holothuroidea) in coastal waters of North China: an experimental study in flow-through systemsXujia Liu
Key Laboratory of Marine Ecology and Environmental Sciences, Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Qingdao, People s Republic of China
PLoS ONE 8:e58293. 2013..Results showed that diet composition had a great influence on the growth of A. japonicus. Sea cucumbers could use decaying eelgrass debris as their food source; and when the organic content of a mixture of eelgrass ..
- Antioxidant and cytotoxic properties of two sea cucumbers, Holothuria edulis lesson and Stichopus horrens SelenkaO Y Althunibat
Department of Biomedical Science, International Islamic University, Kuantan, Pahang, Malaysia
Acta Biol Hung 64:10-20. 2013b>Sea cucumbers are marine invertebrates of the phylum of Echinodermata that have been used in Asian traditional medicine since ancient times...
- Triterpenoids of marine origin as anti-cancer agentsYong Xin Li
Marine Bioprocess Research Center, Pukyong National University, Busan 608 737, Korea
Molecules 18:7886-909. 2013Triterpenoids are the most abundant secondary metabolites present in marine organisms, such as marine sponges, sea cucumbers, marine algae and marine-derived fungi...
- Isolation and algicidal characterization of Bowmanella denitrificans S088 against Chlorella vulgarisXiao Jiang
CAS Key Laboratory of Tropical Marine Bio resources and Ecology LMB, South China Sea Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 164 West Xingang Road, Guangzhou, 510301, People s Republic of China
World J Microbiol Biotechnol 30:621-9. 2014One strain of algicidal bacterium, named as S088, was isolated from the intestine of healthy sea cucumbers (Stichopus horrens) in the South China Sea...
- The caudinid sea cucumbers of New Zealand (Echinodermata: Holothuroidea: Molpadida: Caudinidae)Nicola Davey
National Institute of Water and Atmosphere Research Ltd NIWA, PO Box 893, Nelson 7040, New Zealand Email
Zootaxa 3613:357-68. 2013..Hedingia albicans var. glabra (Théel) is raised out of synonymy with Hedingia albicans (Théel), and the variety elevated to species status as Hedingia glabra (Théel). A key is provided for the New Zealand species of Caudinidae...
- Differential gene expression in the respiratory tree of the sea cucumber Apostichopus japonicus during aestivationYe Zhao
Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Qingdao 266071, PR China University of Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100049, PR China
Mar Genomics 18:173-83. 2014b>Sea cucumbers, Apostichopus japonicus, experience seasonally high water temperatures during the summer months and enter aestivation to survive...
- Polymorphisms of heat shock protein 90 (Hsp90) in the sea cucumber Apostichopus japonicus and their association with heat-resistanceDongxue Xu
Key Laboratory of Marine Ecology and Environmental Sciences, Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Qingdao, PR China University of Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, PR China
Fish Shellfish Immunol 41:428-36. 2014..05). This is the first demonstration of SNPs related to heat-resistance in A. japonicus and supports the use of SNP markers in the selective breeding of sea cucumbers.
- Complete mitogenome of the edible sea urchin Loxechinus albus: genetic structure and comparative genomics within EchinozoaGraciela Cea
Facultad de Ciencias, Instituto de Ciencias Ambientales y Evolutivas, Universidad Austral de Chile, Casilla 567, Valdivia, Chile
Mol Biol Rep 42:1081-9. 2015..Structural comparisons showed a highly conserved structure, composition, and gene order within Echinoidea and Holothuroidea, and nearly identical gene organization to that found in Asteroidea and Crinoidea, with the majority of ..
- Aspidochirotida (Echinodermata: Holothuroidea) from the northeast coast of BrazilJessica Prata
Universidade Federal da Paraiba, Programa de Pós Graduação em Ciências Biológicas Zoologia, Laboratório de Invertebrados Paulo Young LIPY, Cidade Universitária S nº 58059 900, Joao Pessoa, PB, Bras Email
Zootaxa 3889:127-50. 2014This is a taxonomic work on the aspidochirotid sea cucumbers from shallow waters in Northeast Brazil. We studied 165 specimens, classified into 2 families, 3 genera, 7 subgenera and 9 species...
- Synthesis of the oligosaccharides related to branching sites of fucosylated chondroitin sulfates from sea cucumbersNadezhda E Ustyuzhanina
Zelinsky Institute of Organic Chemistry, Russian Academy of Sciences, Leninsky Prospect 47, 119991 Moscow B 334, Russia
Mar Drugs 13:770-87. 2015Natural anionic polysaccharides fucosylated chondroitin sulfates (FCS) from sea cucumbers attract great attention nowadays due to their ability to influence various biological processes, such as blood coagulation, thrombosis, ..
- Influence of flow velocity on motor behavior of sea cucumber Apostichopus japonicusYang Pan
Key Laboratory of Marine Ecology and Environmental Sciences, Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 7 Nanhai Road, Qingdao 266071, Shandong, China University of Chinese Academy of Sciences, 19A Yuquan Road, Beijing 100049, China
Physiol Behav 144:52-9. 2015..In general, the mean velocity of A. japonicus was below 0.7mms(-1). The maximum velocity recorded for all the sea cucumbers tested was for a large individual (89.25±17.11g), at a flow rate of 4.6±0.5cms(-1). Medium sized (19.68±5...
- A new species of the genus Typton Costa (Crustacea: Decapoda: Palaemonidae: Pontoniinae) from the eastern tropical PacificManuel Ayón-Parente
Departamento de Ecologia, CUCBA Universidad de Guadalajara, Carretera a Nogales Km 15 5, Las Agujas Nextipac, Zapopan, Jalisco, C P 45110, Mexico, 2Laboratorio de Invertebrados Bentónicos, Unidad Academica Mazatlan, Instituto de Ciencias del Mar y Limnologia, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, PO Box 811, Mazatlan, Sinaloa, 82000 México Email
Zootaxa 3926:430-8. 2015A new species of commensal shrimp of the genus Typton from holothurians is described and illustrated. The specimens were collected from a single specimen of Holothuria (Halodeima) inornata Semper, 1868 at a depth of 7 m...
- Beneficial Effects of Rhodotorula sp. C11 on Growth and Disease Resistance of Juvenile Japanese Spiky Sea Cucumber Apostichopus japonicusZhiping Yang
a Dalian Huixin Titanium Equipment Development Company, Ltd, Youjia Industrial Garden Xinzhaizi Town, Ganjingzi District, Dalian 116039, China
J Aquat Anim Health 27:71-6. 2015..b>Sea cucumbers were fed diets containing Rhodotorula sp. C11 at 0 (control), 10⁴, 10⁵, and 10⁶ CFU/g of feed for 45 d...
- Structural analysis and anticoagulant activities of the novel sulfated fucan possessing a regular well-defined repeating unit from sea cucumberMingyi Wu
State Key Laboratory of Phytochemistry and Plant Resources in West China, Kunming Institute of Botany, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Kunming 650201, China
Mar Drugs 13:2063-84. 2015..Herein, we purified two fucans from the sea cucumbers Holothuria edulis and Ludwigothurea grisea...
- Effects of dietary vitamin C supplementation on lead-treated sea cucumbers, Apostichopus japonicusJing Wang
Key Laboratory of Mariculture and Stock Enhancement in North China s Sea, Ministry of Agriculture, Dalian Ocean University, Dalian 116023, China
Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 118:21-6. 2015..Three hundred sea cucumbers (10.02±0...
- Ultrastructural and biochemical characterization of mechanically adaptable collagenous structures in the edible sea urchin Paracentrotus lividusAlice Barbaglio
Department of Biosciences, University of Milan, Via Celoria 26, Milan 20133, Italy Electronic address
Zoology (Jena) 118:147-60. 2015..In contrast to this, the connective tissues of echinoderms (sea urchins, starfish, sea cucumbers, etc...
- Novel Use of PIT Tags in Sea Cucumbers: Promising Results with the Commercial Species Cucumaria frondosaBruno L Gianasi
Department of Ocean Sciences OSC, Memorial University, St John s, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
PLoS ONE 10:e0127884. 2015..method has limited studies that would provide essential information for the management of commercial sea cucumbers. Tagging sea cucumbers is notoriously difficult because of their plastic nature and autolysis capacities...
- Effects of dietary Bacillus cereus G19, B. cereus BC-01, and Paracoccus marcusii DB11 supplementation on the growth, immune response, and expression of immune-related genes in coelomocytes and intestine of the sea cucumber (Apostichopus japonicus Selenka)Gang Yang
The Key Laboratory of Mariculture, Ministry of Education, Fisheries College, Ocean University of China, Qingdao 266003, PR China
Fish Shellfish Immunol 45:800-7. 2015..four immune-related genes (Aj-p105, Aj-p50, Aj-rel, and Aj-lys) in coelomocytes and the intestine of juvenile sea cucumbers. One group was fed the basal diet (control group), while three other groups were fed the basal diet ..
- Distinct structures of the α-fucose branches in fucosylated chondroitin sulfates do not affect their anticoagulant activityGustavo R C Santos
Programa de Glicobiologia, Instituto de Bioquímica Médica Leopoldo de Meis, and Laboratório de Tecido Conjuntivo, Hospital Universitario Clementino Fraga Filho, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, RJ 21941 913, Brazil
Glycobiology 25:1043-52. 2015Fucosylated chondroitin sulfate (FCS) is a glycosaminoglycan found in sea cucumbers. It has a backbone like that of mammalian chondroitin sulfate (4-β-d-GlcA-1→3-β-d-GalNAc-1)n but substituted at the 3rd position of the β-d-..
- Comparative phosphoproteomic analysis of intestinal phosphorylated proteins in active versus aestivating sea cucumbersMuyan Chen
Fisheries College, Ocean University of China, Qingdao, PR China Electronic address
J Proteomics 135:141-50. 2016..mechanism in aestivation is known for some terrestrial aestivators but has never before been documented in sea cucumbers. The present study provides a global quantitative analysis of the role of reversible phosphorylation in sea ..
- Antifungal nortriterpene and triterpene glycosides from the sea cucumber Apostichopus japonicus SelenkaZenglei Wang
Research Center for Marine Drugs, School of Pharmacy, Second Military Medical University, 325 Guohe Road, Shanghai 200433, PR China
Food Chem 132:295-300. 2012..This is the first report of a nortriterpene glycoside isolated from sea cucumbers. These compounds showed potent antifungal activities in the in vitro biotest...
- Heavy metal accumulation in tissues of two sea cucumbers, Holothuria leucospilota and Holothuria scabra in the northern part of Qeshm Island, Persian GulfMaria Mohammadizadeh
Department of Environmental Management, Bandar Abbas Branch, Islamic Azad University, Bandar Abbas, Iran Electronic address
Mar Pollut Bull 103:354-9. 2016..scabra were measured in the gonad and derm, respectively. Cu and Zn concentrations were below permissible limits for human consumption while Cd and Pb were above permissible limits for human consumption. ..
- Bioenergetic trade-offs in the sea cucumber Apostichopus japonicus (Echinodermata: Holothuroidea) in response to CO2-driven ocean acidificationXiutang Yuan
National Marine Environmental Monitoring Center, State Oceanic Administration, Dalian, 116023, People s Republic of China
Environ Sci Pollut Res Int 23:8453-61. 2016..well-documented, but there has been a strong bias towards sea urchins, and limited information is available on sea cucumbers. This work examined the effect of medium-term (60 days) exposure to three pH levels (pH 8.06, 7.72, and 7...
- Use of phages to control Vibrio splendidus infection in the juvenile sea cucumber Apostichopus japonicusZhen Li
School of Life Science and Biotechnology, Dalian University of Technology, Dalian 116024, People s Republic of China
Fish Shellfish Immunol 54:302-11. 2016..In an in vivo performance trial, 360 sea cucumbers (23 ± 2 g) were randomly assigned to 1 of 6 treatments...
- Antithrombotic activities of fucosylated chondroitin sulfates and their depolymerized fragments from two sea cucumbersXiaoxiao Liu
Key Laboratory of Marine Drugs, Ministry of Education, School of Medicine and Pharmacy, Ocean University of China, Qingdao 266003, China Shandong Provincial Key Laboratory of Glycoscience and Glycotechnology, Ocean University of China, Qingdao 266003, China
Carbohydr Polym 152:343-50. 2016..Our results proposed a new point of view to understand the structure-activity relationship of FCS as alternative agents. ..
- Transcriptome analysis of tube foot and large scale marker discovery in sea cucumber, Apostichopus japonicusXiaoxu Zhou
Key Laboratory of Mariculture and Stock Enhancement in North China s Sea, Ministry of Agriculture, Dalian Ocean University, Dalian 116023, China College of Fisheries and Life Science, Dalian Ocean University, 52 Heishijiao Street, ShaHeKou District, Dalian 116023, China
Comp Biochem Physiol Part D Genomics Proteomics 20:41-49. 2016..factors (MBL, VLRA, AjC3, MyD88, CFB), skin pigmentation (MITF), candidate regeneration factor (TRP) and holothurians autolysis-related factor (CL)...
- miR210 modulates respiratory burst in Apostichopus japonicus coelomocytes via targeting Toll-like receptorChenghua Li
School of Marine Sciences, Ningbo University, PR China Louisiana State University, Agricultural Center, United States Electronic address
Dev Comp Immunol 65:377-81. 2016..ancient immune system with the recognition the economic values of several species in this phylum, especially sea cucumbers. Here, we reported a study in the innate immunity of a sea cucumber species (Apostichopus japonicus) in ..
- A Modular Approach to a Library of Semi-Synthetic Fucosylated Chondroitin Sulfate Polysaccharides with Different Sulfation and Fucosylation PatternsAntonio Laezza
Department of Chemical Sciences, University of Naples Federico II, Complesso Universitario Monte S Angelo, Via Cintia 4, 80126, Naples, Italy
Chemistry 22:18215-18226. 2016Fucosylated chondroitin sulfate (fCS)-a glycosaminoglycan (GAG) found in sea cucumbers-has recently attracted much attention owing to its biological properties...
- Ecological impacts and management implications of reef walking on a tropical reef flat communityJane E Williamson
Department of Biological Sciences, Macquarie University, NSW 2109, Australia Electronic address
Mar Pollut Bull 114:742-750. 2017..A manipulative experiment showed handling holothurians on reef walks had lasting negative impacts...
- A new species of Pentamera Ayres, 1852 from the Brazilian coast (Holothuroidea, Dendrochirotida, Phyllophoridae)Jessica Prata
Universidade Federal da Paraiba, Programa de Pós Graduação em Ciências Biológicas Zoologia, Laboratório de Invertebrados Paulo Young LIPY, Cidade Universitaria, S nº 58059 900, Joao Pessoa, PB, Brasil
Zookeys . 2016..The species was found inside rodoliths in large numbers. This paper contains a morphological description of the specimens, and an account of their habitat characteristics...
- Synthesis and NMR analysis of model compounds related to fucosylated chondroitin sulfates: GalNAc and Fuc(1 → 6)GalNAc derivativesDmitry Z Vinnitskiy
N D Zelinsky Institute of Organic Chemistry, Russian Academy of Sciences, Leninsky Prospect 47, Moscow 119991, Russia
Carbohydr Res 438:9-17. 2017..were synthesized as model compounds representing the fragments of fucosylated chondroitin sulfates (FCS) from sea cucumbers. Per-O-acetylated 2-deoxy-2-N-phthalimido-D-glucopyranose was used as a key precursor for the preparation of ..
- A new genus and a new species in the sea cucumber subfamily Colochirinae (Echinodermata: Holothuroidea: Dendrochirotida: Cucumariidae) in the Mediterranean SeaSifiso Mjobo
School of Life Sciences, University of KwaZulu Natal, P Bag X54001, Durban 4000, South Africa
Zootaxa 4189:zootaxa.4189.1.8. 2016..O. brunneus, O. planci and O. lacteus, but the soft nature of the body wall, shallow quadrilocular instead of deep trilocular baskets, and the presence of large knobbed plates in the anal region precludes its inclusion in this genus...
- Gene expression and larval evolution: changing roles of distal-less and orthodenticle in echinoderm larvaeChristopher J Lowe
Department of Ecology and Evolution, State University of New York at Stony Brook, 11732, USA
Evol Dev 4:111-23. 2002..distal-less (Dlx) during the larval development of seven species representing three classes of echinoderms: Holothuroidea, Asteroidea, and Echinoidea...
- Constituents of Holothuroidea, 13. Structure of neuritogenic active ganglioside molecular species from the sea cucumber Stichopus chloronotusKoji Yamada
Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 51:46-52. 2003..Moreover, these three gangliosides exhibited neuritogenic activity toward the rat pheochromocytoma PC12 cells in the presence of nerve growth factor...
- Characterization of the adhesive from cuvierian tubules of the sea cucumber Holothuria forskali (Echinodermata, Holothuroidea)Sonia DeMoor
Marine Biology Laboratory, University of Mons Hainaut, 6 Avenue du Champ de Mars, B 7000 Mons, Belgium
Mar Biotechnol (NY) 5:45-57. 2003b>Sea cucumbers possess a peculiar specialized defense system: the so-called Cuvierian tubules. The system is mobilized when the animal is mechanically stimulated, resulting in the discharge of a few white filaments, the tubules...
- The spherule cells of Holothuria polii Delle Chiaie, 1823 (Aspidochirota, Holothuroidea) during brown body formation: an ultrastructural studyP Pagliara
Department of Biology, University of Lecce, Italy
J Submicrosc Cytol Pathol 35:295-301. 2003..In holothurians they are present in massive number in the coelomic fluids and are employed in brown body formation...
- [Use of fish oil enriched with carotenoids isolated from sea cucumbers in the diet therapy of patients with hypertension and ischemic heart disease]T K Lebskaia
Vopr Pitan 72:25-8. 2003..Usage of antisclerotic diet with fish oil and carotinoides in patients with IND and high blood pressure resulted in positive dynamic of clinic manifestation, blood lipid, coagulogramms, antioxygen and immune status...
- [Membranotropic effect of some triterpene glycosides possessing immunostimulating properties]I A Lee
Biofizika 53:462-9. 2008The peculiarities of the interaction between cell membrane lipids and triterpene glycosides from holothurians Apostichopus japonicus S...
- [Distribution and characteristics of Bacillus bacteria associated with hydrobionts and the waters of the Peter the Great Bay, Sea of Japan]I A Beleneva
Mikrobiologiia 77:558-65. 2008..Bacilli were most often isolated from bivalves (22.7%) and sea cucumbers (18.9%); they occurred less frequently in sea urchins and starfish (13.2 and 7.5%, respectively)...
- Gonadogenesis and expression pattern of the vasa gene in the sea cucumber Apostichopus japonicus during early developmentLi Yu
Key Laboratory of Marine Genetics and Breeding, Ministry of Education, College of Marine Life Sciences, Ocean University of China, Qingdao, China
Mol Reprod Dev 80:744-52. 2013..germ cells (PGCs) in many organisms, but little work has been reported on vasa genes and the origin of PGCs in holothurians. Using in situ hybridization and immunohistochemistry, vasa mRNA and protein of the sea cucumber Apostichopus ..
- Saponins: the potential chemotherapeutic agents in pursuing new anti-glioblastoma drugsXiangrong Tian
Institute of Materia, School of Pharmacy, Fourth Military Medical University, 169 Changle West Rd, Xi an 710032, PR China
Mini Rev Med Chem 13:1709-24. 2013..and structural elucidation on the saponin constituents from three species of starfishes, five species of sea cucumbers and four species of medicinal plants led to the identification of more than 129 saponins, among which 76 ..
- Cloning and expression analysis of Wnt6 and Hox6 during intestinal regeneration in the sea cucumber Apostichopus japonicusL N Sun
Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Qingdao, China
Genet Mol Res 12:5321-34. 2013..Further expression analysis by real-time PCR showed that Wnt6 and Hox6 were apparently upregulated during intestine regeneration, which suggested that they were involved in the intestinal regeneration of sea cucumbers.
- RNA-Seq reveals dynamic changes of gene expression in key stages of intestine regeneration in the sea cucumber Apostichopus japonicus. [corrected]Lina Sun
Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Qingdao, PR China
PLoS ONE 8:e69441. 2013b>Sea cucumbers (Holothuroidea; Echinodermata) have the capacity to regenerate lost tissues and organs...
- Proteases from the regenerating gut of the holothurian Eupentacta fraudatrixNina E Lamash
A V Zhirmunsky Institute of Marine Biology of the Far Eastern Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Vladivostok, Russia
PLoS ONE 8:e58433. 2013..and the animals die, suggesting that early activation of the proteases is crucial for triggering the regenerative process in holothurians. The role of the detected proteases in the regeneration processes of holothurians is discussed.
- Physiological characterization of aerobic culturable bacteria in the intestine of the sea cucumber Apostichopus japonicusXiaochi Zhang
Graduate School of Science and Technology, Nagasaki University, Nagasaki 852 8521, Japan
J Gen Appl Microbiol 59:1-10. 2013..Apostichopus japonicus (black adult, green adult, black small, green small, black juvenile, and green juvenile sea cucumbers) and from the sea sediment and the seawater using different culture conditions and without enrichment culture...
- Anticancer activity and mediation of apoptosis in human HL-60 leukaemia cells by edible sea cucumber (Holothuria edulis) extractW A J P Wijesinghe
School of Marine Biomedical Sciences, Jeju National University, Jeju 690 756, Republic of Korea
Food Chem 139:326-31. 2013b>Sea cucumbers have been a dietary delicacy and important ingredient in Asian traditional medicinal over many centuries. In this study, edible sea cucumber Holothuria edulis was evaluated for its in vitro anticancer potential...
- Organochlorine pollutants in Western Antarctic Peninsula sediments and benthic deposit feedersLin Zhang
Graduate School of Oceanography, University of Rhode Island, Narragansett, Rhode Island 02882 1197, United States
Environ Sci Technol 47:5643-51. 2013Sediments and benthic deposit feeding holothurians were collected near the Palmer Long Term Ecological Research grid during the austral winter of 2008...
- [Aryl sulfatase of unusual specificity from the liver of marine mollusk Littorina kurila]M I Kusaikin
Bioorg Khim 32:71-9. 2006..group in position C4 of xylose residues within the carbohydrate chains of holostane triterpene glycosides from sea cucumbers. The properties of the enzyme were studied at pH 5.4...
- Microbial communities associated with holothurians: presence of unique bacteria in the coelomic fluidMasaki Enomoto
Laboratory of Microbiology, Faculty of Fisheries Sciences, Hokkaido University, Hakodate 041 8611, Japan
Microbes Environ 27:300-5. 2012..This study suggests that coelomic fluids of marine invertebrates, at least those inhabiting intertidal areas where physical and chemical conditions fluctuate, provide microbes with unique and stable habitats...
- Nervous system regeneration, molecular basis in echinodermsJOSE E GARCIA-ARRARAS; Fiscal Year: 2013..The expected results will help understand the molecular mechanisms that underlie the amazing regeneration of the nervous system in holothurians and will provide important cues on how this regeneration might be achieved in humans.
- Gene profiling of nervous system regeneration using a novel model organismJose E Garcia Arraras; Fiscal Year: 2010..We have recently shown that holothurians are capable of rapid and complete regeneration of the main component of their CNS, the radial nerve cord...
- MECHANISMS FOR CHEMOPREVENTION OF COLON CANCERCHINTHALAPALLY RAO; Fiscal Year: 2004..Tissue distribution and comparative metabolism studies of curcumin and PEMC will be studied with synthetic [3H] curcumin and [3H]-PEMC in vivo in male F-344 rats. ..
- PREVENTION OF COLORECTAL CANCER BY iNOS AND COX-2 SELECTIVE INHIBITORSCHINTHALAPALLY RAO; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..