Alias: Luffa Mill.
Publications108 found, 100 shown here
- Cloning and Expression of Luffin-b cDNA from the Seeds of Luffa cylindricaMing Yan
Institute of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 200031, China
Sheng Wu Hua Xue Yu Sheng Wu Wu Li Xue Bao (Shanghai) 33:205-209. 2001Luffin-b with Mr. 28 kD, isolated from the seeds of Luffa cylindrica,is one of the most toxic single chain plant ribosome inactivating proteins. The cDNA sequence of luffin-b was already reported by Kataoka in 1992...
- Preparation and Use of a Monoclonal Antibodyagainst Luffin bMing Yan
Institute of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, The Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 200031, China
Sheng Wu Hua Xue Yu Sheng Wu Wu Li Xue Bao (Shanghai) 33:93-98. 2001..The luffin b was successfully purified by one step immunoaffinity chromatography from the crude extract of Luffa cylindrica seeds...
- Purification,characterization and chemical modification studies on a translation inhibitor protein from Luffa cylindricaRanjit C Singh
Institute of Self Organising Systems and Biophysics, North Eastern Hill University, Permanent Campus, Shillong 793 022, Meghalaya, India
Indian J Biochem Biophys 40:31-9. 2003A ribosome-inactivating protein (RIP), luffin has been isolated from the seeds of Luffa cylindrica of Cucurbitaceae family by ammonium sulfate fractionation followed by cation exchange and gel-filtration chromatography...
- Acrylic acid grafted cellulosic Luffa cylindrical fiber for the removal of dye and metal ionsVinod Kumar Gupta
Department of Chemistry, Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee, Roorkee 247667, India
Carbohydr Polym 98:1214-21. 2013Acrylic acid grafted cellulosic Luffa cylindrical fiber was utilized for the removal of methylene blue and metal ions from the water system using batch process...
- Luffa echinata: healer plant or potential killerS Giri
Department of Medicine, University College of Medical Sciences and Guru Tegh Bahadur Hospital, Delhi, India
J Postgrad Med 60:72-4. 2014Bristly luffa (Luffa echinata), a member of the cucurbitaceae family is an Ayurvedic medicinal plant, which has been used in the traditional system of medicine for variety of symptoms...
- A multiscale study on the structural and mechanical properties of the luffa sponge from Luffa cylindrica plantQiang Chen
Biomechanics Laboratory, School of Biological Science and Medical Engineering, Southeast University, Nanjing 210096, PR China
J Biomech 47:1332-9. 2014..b>Luffa sponge is one of such materials with a complex interconnecting porous structure...
- Hydrogen peroxide mediates abscisic acid-induced HSP70 accumulation and heat tolerance in grafted cucumber plantsHao Li
Department of Horticulture, Zijinggang Campus, Zhejiang University, Yuhangtang Road 866, Hangzhou, 310058, China
Plant Cell Environ 37:2768-80. 2014..Cucumber plants grafted onto their own roots and luffa roots were exposed to aerial and root-zone heat to examine their tolerance by assessing the levels of oxidative ..
- Dried fruit of the Luffa sponge as a source of chitin for applications as skin substitutesPing Lun Jiang
Institute of Biomedical Engineering, College of Engineering and College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei 100, Taiwan
Biomed Res Int 2014:458287. 2014LUFFACHITIN obtained from the residue of the sponge-like dried fruit of Luffa aegyptiaca was developed as a weavable skin substitute in this study...
- Amputation of congo red dye from waste water using microwave induced grafted Luffa cylindrica cellulosic fiberVinod Kumar Gupta
Department of Chemistry, Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee, Roorkee 247667, India Electronic address
Carbohydr Polym 111:556-66. 2014The present study deals with the surface modification of Luffa cylindrica fiber through graft copolymerization of methyl acrylate/acrylamide (MA/AAm) via microwave radiation without the use of initiator...
- Luffa cylindrica suppresses development of Dermatophagoides farinae-induced atopic dermatitis-like skin lesions in Nc/Nga miceHyekyung Ha
Herbal Medicine Formulation Research Group, Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine, Daejeon, Republic of Korea
Pharm Biol 53:555-62. 2015The fruit pulp of Luffa cylindrica Roemer (Cucurbitaceae) (LC) has been used to induce hemostasis, resolve phlegm and clear fever in traditional Korean medicine. However, the efficacy of LC has not been examined in atopic dermatitis (AD).
- In vitro antimicrobial activity of Luffa operculataRodolfo Alexander Scalia
Department of Otorhynolaryngology, Irmandade da Santa Casa de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil Postgraduate Program in Surgery Research, Medical Sciences School, Santa Casa de São Paulo FCMSCSP, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil Electronic address
Braz J Otorhinolaryngol 81:422-30. 2015b>Luffa operculata is probably one of the most popular herbal medicines used in the treatment of rhinitis and rhinosinusitis. However, its specific mechanism of action is still unknown.
- First full-length genome sequence of the polerovirus luffa aphid-borne yellows virus (LABYV) reveals the presence of at least two consensus sequences in an isolate from ThailandDennis Knierim
AVRDC, The World Vegetable Center, PO Box 42, Shanhua, Tainan, 74199, Taiwan
Arch Virol 160:2633-6. 2015b>Luffa aphid-borne yellows virus (LABYV) was proposed as the name for a previously undescribed polerovirus based on partial genome sequences obtained from samples of cucurbit plants collected in Thailand between 2008 and 2013...
- An anthraquinone derivative from Luffa acutangula induces apoptosis in human lung cancer cell line NCI-H460 through p53-dependent pathwayRamar Vanajothi
a Department of Bioinformatics and
J Recept Signal Transduct Res 36:292-302. 2016..the in vitro antiproliferative activity of 1,8-dihydroxy-4-methylanthracene-9,10-dione (DHMA) isolated from the Luffa acutangula against human non-small cell lung cancer cell line (NCI-H460)...
- Effect of standardized fruit extract of Luffa cylindrica on oxidative stress markers in hydrogen peroxide induced cataractSuchita Dubey
Department of Pharmacology, Amity Institute of Pharmacy Amity University Uttar Pradesh, Lucknow Campus, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India
Indian J Pharmacol 47:644-8. 2015The ability of Luffa cylindrica Roem fruit extract (LCE) to modulate biochemical parameters was investigated by in vitro studies for its role in hydrogen peroxide induced cataract on isolated goat lenses which were incubated for 72 h at ..
- Three-dimensional microscopic deformation measurements on cellular solidsK Genovese
School of Engineering, University of Basilicata, Potenza, Italy Electronic address
J Mech Behav Biomed Mater 60:78-92. 2016..Finally, the potential utility of this method is illustrated with micro-resolution three-dimensional measurements on a 3D printed honeycomb and on a block sample of a Luffa sponge under compression.
- Luffa cylindrica sponges as a thermally and chemically stable support for Aspergillus niger lipaseJakub Zdarta
Poznan University of Technology, Faculty of Chemical Technology, Institute of Chemical Technology and Engineering, Berdychowo 4, Poznan, 60965, Poland
Biotechnol Prog 32:657-65. 2016..In the present work we propose the use of Luffa cylindrica vegetable sponges as a support for the lipase extracted from Aspergillus niger...
- Luffa echinata Roxb. Induced Apoptosis in Human Colon Cancer Cell (SW-480) in the Caspase-dependent Manner and Through a Mitochondrial Apoptosis PathwayLi Hua Shang
Department of Medical Oncology, Harbin Medical University Cancer Hospital, Nangang District, Harbin, 150001, China
Pharmacogn Mag 12:25-30. 2016b>Luffa echinata Roxb. (LER) (Cucurbitaceae) showed tremendous medicinal importance and are being used for the treatment of different ailments.
- Microarray and genetic analysis reveals that csa-miR159b plays a critical role in abscisic acid-mediated heat tolerance in grafted cucumber plantsHao Li
Department of Horticulture, Zijingang Campus, Zhejiang University, 866 Yuhangtang Road, Hangzhou, 310058, China
Plant Cell Environ 39:1790-804. 2016..Here, we show that the enhanced tolerance against heat stress in cucumber plants with luffa as rootstock was accompanied with an increased accumulation of abscisic acid (ABA), down-regulation of a subset of ..
- Biodiesel Production: Utilization of Loofah Sponge to Immobilize Rhizopus chinensis CGMCC #3.0232 Cells as a Whole-Cell BiocatalystQiyang He
Jiangsu Co Innovation Center of Efficient Processing and Utilization of Forest Resources, Nanjing Forestry University, Nanjing 210037, P R China
J Microbiol Biotechnol 26:1278-84. 2016Rhizopus chinensis cells immobilized on loofah (Luffa cylindrica) sponges were used to produce biodiesel via the transesterification of soybean oil...
- Unraveling Main Limiting Sites of Photosynthesis under Below- and Above-Ground Heat Stress in Cucumber and the Alleviatory Role of Luffa RootstockHao Li
Department of Horticulture, Zhejiang UniversityHangzhou, China College of Horticulture, Northwest A and F UniversityYangling, China
Front Plant Sci 7:746. 2016..In the current study, cucumber plants grafted onto their own roots and heat-tolerant luffa roots were exposed to root-zone heat (25/40°C) and aerial heat (40/25°C) individually and in combination (40/40°..
- Liquid hot water pretreatment of multi feedstocks and enzymatic hydrolysis of solids obtained thereofMichele Michelin
Centre of Biological Engineering, University of Minho, Campus Gualtar, 4710 057 Braga, Portugal Electronic address
Bioresour Technol 216:862-9. 2016Agricultural feedstocks (brewers' spent grain - BSG, corncob - CC, corn husk - CH, wheat straw - WS and Luffa sponge - LS) were pretreated by liquid hot water (LHW) in order to increase cellulose recovery and enzymatic saccharification...
- Antioxidant activity of various extracts of selected gourd vegetablesBaljeet S Yadav
Department of Food Technology, Maharshi Dayanand University, Rohtak, Haryana 124001 India
J Food Sci Technol 53:1823-33. 2016..Different extracts of Lagenaria siceraria, Momordica charantia and Luffa cylindrica revealed significantly higher (p < 0...
- Genetic Linkage Map Construction and QTL Analysis of Two Interspecific Reproductive Isolation Traits in Sponge GourdHaibin Wu
Vegetable Research Institute, Guangdong Academy of Agricultural ScienceGuangzhou, China Guangdong Provincial Key Lab for New Technology Research on VegetablesGuangzhou, China
Front Plant Sci 7:980. 2016The hybrids between Luffa acutangula (L.) Roxb. and L.cylindrica (L.) Roem. have strong heterosis effects...
- Removing Trypan blue dye using nano-Zn modified Luffa spongeHayrunnisa Nadaroğlu
Ataturk University, Erzurum Vocational Training School, Department of Food Technology, 25240 Erzurum, Turkey Atatürk University, Faculty of Engineering, Department of Nano Science and Nano Engineering, 25240 Erzurum, Turkey Electronic address
Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc 172:2-8. 2017This study has presented specific features that are examined to remove the Trypan blue dye from the waste using Luffa sponge (LS) and modified Luffa sponge with zinc nanoparticles (ZnNPs)...
- Combination of zero-valent iron and anaerobic microorganisms immobilized in luffa sponge for degrading 1,1,1-trichloroethane and the relevant microbial community analysisWenbing Wang
School of Environmental Science and Engineering, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, 200240, People s Republic of China
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 101:783-796. 2017..We first adopted high density luffa sponge (HDLS) as immobilized microorganism carrier...
- High-density natural luffa sponge as anaerobic microorganisms carrier for degrading 1,1,1-TCA in groundwaterWenbing Wang
School of Environmental Science and Engineering, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, 200240, People s Republic of China
Bioprocess Biosyst Eng . 2016..The potential of high-density natural luffa sponge (HDLS) (a new variety of luffa) for the immobilization and protection of anaerobic microorganisms was ..
- Radioprotective potential of Lagenaria siceraria extract against radiation-induced gastrointestinal injuryDhara Sharma
Dhara Sharma, Amity Center for Radiation Biology, Amity University, Sector 125, Noida 201303, U P, India
Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 41:1248-1254. 2016..The whole extract of the fruits of Lagenaria siceraria, Luffa cylindrica, or Cucurbita pepo extract enhanced G2 fractions (42%, 34%, and 37%, respectively) as ..
- Lead and cadmium contamination and exposure risk assessment via consumption of vegetables grown in agricultural soils of five-selected regions of PakistanZahir Ur Rehman
Department of Environmental Sciences, University of Peshawar, Peshawar 25120, Pakistan School of Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of Arizona, USA
Chemosphere 168:1589-1596. 2017..The HRI values for Pb and Cd were <1 for both adults and children for most of the vegetable species except Luffa acutangula, Solanum lycopersicum, Benincasa hispada, Momordi charantia, Aesculantus malvaceae, Cucumis sativus, ..
- Preclinical evaluation of Luffa operculata Cogn. and its main active principle in the treatment of bacterial rhinosinusitisLeonardo Silva
Santa Casa de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil Electronic address
Braz J Otorhinolaryngol . 2016..Despite the widespread use of antibiotics for rhinosinusitis, there are other forms of treatment, including phytotherapy. One of the most widely used herbal medicines for treatment of rhinosinusitis is Luffa operculata.
- Isolation of lilin, a novel arginine- and glutamate-rich protein with potent antifungal and mitogenic activities from lily bulbsHexiang Wang
Department of Microbiology, College of Biological Science, China Agricultural University, Beijing
Life Sci 70:1075-84. 2002..5 kDa arginine/glutamate-rich polypeptide from Luffa cylindrica seeds...
- Larvicidal efficacy of some Cucurbitacious plant leaf extracts against Culex quinquefasciatus (Say)K Prabakar
Division of Vector Biology, Department of Zoology, Annamalai University, Annamalai Nagar 608 002, India
Bioresour Technol 95:113-4. 2004..efficacies of extracts of five species of Cucurbitacious plants, Momordica charantia, Trichosanthes anguina, Luffa acutangula, Benincasa cerifera and Citrullus vulgaris were tested against the late third larval age group of Culex ..
- Nitric oxide alleviates arsenic-induced toxic effects in ridged Luffa seedlingsVijay Pratap Singh
Ranjan Plant Physiology and Biochemistry Laboratory, Department of Botany, University of Allahabad A Central University of India, Allahabad 211 002, India Electronic address
Plant Physiol Biochem 71:155-63. 2013..whether exogenous addition of nitric oxide (NO) as sodium nitroprusside (SNP) alleviates arsenic (As) toxicity in Luffa acutangula (L.) Roxb. seedlings...
- Luffa cylindrica and phytosterols bioconversion: from shake flask to jar bioreactorHamid Bou Saab
Laboratoire de Chimie Organique et Bioorganique, Institut de Recherche Jean Baptiste Donnet, Universite de Haute Alsace, EA4566, 3 rue Alfred Werner, 68093, Mulhouse, France
J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol 40:1315-20. 2013..On the other hand, it was shown that immobilization of Mycobacterium species on the dried fruit of Luffa cylindrica (DFLC) allows a close interaction between immobilized cells and cholesterol particles and increases by ..
- Residues of persistent organic pollutants in frequently-consumed vegetables and assessment of human health risk based on consumption of vegetables in Huizhou, South ChinaLei Shen
School of Environmental Science and Engineering, Sun Yat Sen Zhongshan University, Guangzhou 510275, PR China
Chemosphere 93:2254-63. 2013..The main risks were from consumption of eggplant, Chinese lettuce and luffa and were significantly related to the contents of di-nonyl phthalate, β-hexachlorocyclohexane, γ-..
- Antioxidant and α-glucosidase inhibitory activities of cucurbit fruit vegetables and identification of active and major constituents from phenolic-rich extracts of Lagenaria siceraria and Sechium eduleShaida Fariza Sulaiman
School of Biological Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia, 11800 USM Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
J Agric Food Chem 61:10080-90. 2013..The highest TPC and metal chelating activity were obtained from the chloroform extracts of Luffa acutangula (28.04 ± 0.37 mg GAE/g extract) and Benincasa hispida (EC50 = 0.44 ± 0.03 mg/mL), respectively...
- Description of a new Pratylenchus species from China (Tylenchida, Pratylenchidae)Ning Liu
Nematology Institute of Northern China, Shenyang Agricultural University, Shenyang 110866, China
Dongwuxue Yanjiu 34:E140-2. 2013Pratylenchus ekrami from maize (Zea mays) roots in Shenyang and luffa (Luffa cylindrica) roots in Dalian, China, are described in this paper...
- Balsamin, a novel ribosome-inactivating protein from the seeds of Balsam apple Momordica balsaminaInderdeep Kaur
Fermentation and Protein Biotechnology Laboratory, Department of Botany, Punjabi University, Patiala 147 002, India
Amino Acids 43:973-81. 2012..and 50% similarity with β-MMC (from Momordica charantia), bryodin I (from Bryonia dioica) and luffin a (from Luffa cylindrica). Balsamin was further characterized by mass spectrometry...
- Effect of larval density and host species on preimaginal development of Bactrocera tau (Diptera: Tephritidae)Baofeng Wu
State Key Laboratory for Biocontrol Institute of Entomology, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou 510275, P R China
J Econ Entomol 104:1840-50. 2011..sponge gourd (Luffa cylindrical L. (Roem)), bitter gourd [Momordica charantia (Cucurbitaceae) L...
- Synthesis and cytotoxic activity evaluation of dihydrocucurbitacin B and cucurbitacin B derivativesKaren Luise Lang
Programa de Pós Graduação em Química, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, Florianopolis, SC, Brazil
Bioorg Med Chem 20:3016-30. 2012..B (2), which can be obtained in large amounts from the roots of Wilbrandia ebracteata and from the fruits of Luffa operculata, respectively, were used as starting materials for the preparation of a library of 29 semi-synthetic ..
- Luffa echinata Roxb. induces human colon cancer cell (HT-29) death by triggering the mitochondrial apoptosis pathwayLi Hua Shang
Department of Internal Medicine, the Third Affiliated Hospital of Harbin Medical University, Haping Road 150 of Nangang District, Harbin 150081, China
Molecules 17:5780-94. 2012The antiproliferative properties and cell death mechanism induced by the extract of the fruits of Luffa echinata Roxb. (LER) were investigated...
- A comparative study on Vamana Karma with Madanaphala and Krutavedhana in Ekakushtha (Psoriasis)Jaimin R Patel
Lecturer, Department of Kaya Chikitsa, JS Ayurved Mahavidhyalaya, Nadiad, Gujarat, India
Ayu 32:487-93. 2011..five other drugs, and in total 355 formulations are described in Charaka Samhita; one of them is Krutavedhana (Luffa acutangula) kalpa (formulations)...
- Batch- and continuous propionic acid production from glycerol using free and immobilized cells of Propionibacterium acidipropioniciTarek Dishisha
Department of Biotechnology, Center for Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Lund University, P O Box 124, SE 221 00 Lund, Sweden
Bioresour Technol 118:553-62. 2012..Propionibacterium acidipropionici DSM 4900 cells immobilized on polyethylenimine-treated Poraver (PEI-Poraver) and Luffa (PEI-Luffa), respectively...
- Evaluation of UV/TiO(2) and UV/ZnO photocatalytic systems coupled to a biological process for the treatment of bleaching pulp mill effluentDiana C Botía
Research Center in Environmental Engineering CIIA, Civil and Environmental Engineering Department, Universidad de Los Andes, Cr 1ª Este 19A 40, Bogota, Colombia
Chemosphere 89:732-6. 2012..exposed to a photocatalytic treatment in which two catalysts (TiO(2) and ZnO) and two supports (aluminum foil and Luffa cylindrica) were tested...
- Protective effect of Luffa acutangula extracts on gastric ulceration in NIDDM rats: role of gastric mucosal glycoproteins and antioxidantsB P Pimple
P E Society s Modern College of Pharmacy, Nigdi, Pune, Maharashtra, India
Asian Pac J Trop Med 5:610-5. 2012To study the comparative gastroprotective effect of Luffa acutangula methanolic extract (LAM) and aqueous extract (LAW) on type II diabetes rats.
- Functional components in Luffa cylindrica and their effects on anti-inflammation of macrophage cellsT H Kao
Department of Food Science, Fu Jen University, Taipei 242, Taiwan
Food Chem 135:386-95. 2012The objectives of this study were to determine the distribution of functional components in peel and pulp of Luffa cylindrica and evaluate their anti-inflammatory activity on RAW 264.7 murine macrophage cells...
- Thermal and mechanical properties of bio-nanocomposites reinforced by Luffa cylindrica cellulose nanocrystalsGilberto Siqueira
The International School of Paper, Print Media and Biomaterials PAGORA, Grenoble Institute of Technology, BP 65, 38402 Saint Martin d Heres Cedex, France
Carbohydr Polym 91:711-7. 2013Cellulose nanocrystals have been prepared by acid hydrolysis of Luffa cylindrica fibers. The acid-resistant residue consisted of rod-like nanoparticles with an average length an diameter around 242 and 5...
- Suppressors of RNA silencing encoded by tomato leaf curl betasatellitesRicha Shukla
Advanced Centre for Plant Virology, Div of Plant Pathology, Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi 110 012
J Biosci 38:45-51. 2013..curl Bangalore betasatellite ToLCBB-[IN:Hess:08], Cotton leaf curl Multan betasatellite CLCuMB-[IN:Sri:02] and Luffa leaf distortion betasatellite LuLDB-[IN:Lu:04] were examined...
- Immobilization of α-Amylase onto Luffa operculata FibersRicardo R Morais
Laboratorio de Quimica de Proteinas, Instituto de Ciencias Biologicas, Universidade Federal de Goias, Cx Postal 131, 74001 970 Goiania, GO, Brazil
Enzyme Res 2013:803415. 2013A commercial amylase (amy) was immobilized by adsorption onto Luffa operculata fibers (LOFs)...
- Chlorotic curly stunt: a severe begomovirus disease of bottle gourd in northern IndiaS S Sohrab
Advanced Center for Plant Virology, Division of Plant Pathology, Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi, 110012 India
Indian J Virol 21:56-63. 2010..The virus was transmitted to Cucumis sativus, Luffa acutangula, L...
- Performance of Luffa cylindrica as immobilization matrix in bioconversion reactions by Nicotiana tabacum BY-2Hamid Bou-Saab
Laboratoire de Chimie Organique et Bio organique, Ecole Nationale Superieure de Chimie de Mulhouse, Universite de Haute Alsace, 3 bis rue Alfred Werner, 68093 Mulhouse Cedex, France
J Biosci Bioeng 116:506-8. 2013The dry fruit of Luffa cylindrica was investigated as an immobilization matrix for Nicotiana tabacum cells in bioconversion reactions of exogenous substrates. Immobilized cells show high biocatalytic activity under high substrate levels...
- Luffa-sponge-like glass-TiO2 composite fibers as efficient photocatalysts for environmental remediationZhijun Ma
State Key Laboratory of Luminescent Materials and Devices, South China University of Technology, Wushan Road No 381, Tianhe District, Guangzhou 510640, China
ACS Appl Mater Interfaces 5:7527-36. 2013..for supporting ultrasmall TiO2 nanowhiskers of the anatase phase, constructing core@double-shell fiber with luffa-sponge-like appearance...
- Ameliorative effect of Luffa acutangula Roxb. on doxorubicin induced cardiac and nephrotoxicity in miceVishal B Jadhav
Department of Pharmacology, Padm Dr D Y Patil Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research, Pimpri, Pune 411 018, India
Indian J Exp Biol 51:149-56. 2013The present study reports protective effect of hydro-alcoholic extract of Luffa acutangula (HAELA) on doxorubicin (DXR) induced cardio and nephrotoxicity in mice by studying various serum biomarkers, antioxidants in target organs and ..
- Differential response of human melanoma and Ehrlich ascites cells in vitro to the ribosome-inactivating protein luffinA Poma
Department of Basic and Applied Biology, Faculty of Science, L Aquila, Italy
Melanoma Res 8:465-7. 1998..inhibitory effect on proliferation of the type 1 ribosome-inactivating protein luffin purified from the seeds of Luffa aegyptiaca were investigated both in human metastatic melanoma cells and in murine Ehrlich ascites tumour cells...
- Immobilization of polymethylgalacturonase producing Aspergillus niger on Luffa sponge materialL S Slokoska
Institute of Microbiology, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Sofia, Bulgaria
Z Naturforsch C 53:968-72. 1998The vegetable sponge of Luffa cylindrica was studied as a matrix for the immobilization of Aspergillus niger 26, producer of polymethylgalacturonase (PMG). Entrapped spores could grow and multiply within the lattice of the sponge...
- Antiproliferative effect and apoptotic response in vitro of human melanoma cells to liposomes containing the ribosome-inactivating protein luffinA Poma
Department of Basic and Applied Biology, University of L Aquila, Faculty of Sciences, Italy
Biochim Biophys Acta 1472:197-205. 1999..Luffin from Luffa cylindrica seeds has been successfully incorporated into lecithin/cholesterol and lecithin/cholesterol/..
- Hepatoprotective activity of Luffa echinata fruitsB Ahmed
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, Jamia Hamdard, Hamdard Nagar, 110062, New Delhi, India
J Ethnopharmacol 76:187-9. 2001The different extracts of the fruits of Luffa echinata Roxb. (Cucurbitaceae) were tested for their hepatoprotective activity against CCl(4) induced hepatotoxicity in albino rats...
- Antiviral action of Euphorbium compositum and its componentsB Glatthaar-Saalmüller
Labor Dr Glatthaar, Reutlingen
Forsch Komplementarmed Klass Naturheilkd 8:207-12. 2001..Infections in these areas are primarily of viral origin although bacterial superinfections are also common...
- [Studies on the chemical structure of lucyoside R from leaves of Luffa cylindrica roem]L Liang
Sichuan Institute of Chinese Materia Medica, Chongqing 630065
Yao Xue Xue Bao 32:761-4. 1997A new pentacyclic triterpenoid saponin, lucyoside R, has been isolated from the leaves of Luffa cylindrica along with lucyoside G...
- Two novel cucurbitacins, neocucurbitacins A and B, from the Brazilian folk medicine "Buchinha" (Luffa operculata) and their effect on PEBP2alphaA and OCIF gene expression in a human osteoblast-like Saos-2 cell lineN Kawahara
National Institute of Health Sciences, Tokyo, Japan
Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 49:1377-9. 2001..and osteoclastogenesis-inhibitory factor (OCIF) gene expression in human osteoblast-like cells, and B (2) were isolated from the fruit of Luffa operculata. Their structures have been determined by extensive spectroscopic investigation.
- Molecular cloning and characterization of isomultiflorenol synthase, a new triterpene synthase from Luffa cylindrica, involved in biosynthesis of bryonolic acidH Hayashi
Gifu Pharmaceutical University, Japan
Eur J Biochem 268:6311-7. 2001An oxidosqualene cyclase cDNA, LcIMS1, was isolated from cultured cells of Luffa cylindrica Roem. by heterologous hybridization with cDNA of Glycyrrhiza glabra beta-amyrin synthase...
- [Controlling effect of parasitoids on population of vegetable leaf miner Liriomyza sativae Blanchard]G Liang
Key Laboratory of Insect Ecology and Toxicology of Chinese Ministry of Agriculture, South China Agricultural University, Guangzhou 510642
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 12:257-60. 2001..73, 2.87, 2.24 and 1.89, respectively on kidney bean, cowpea, luffa and cucumber, indicating that if the parasitoids were excluded, the population of the next generation of L...
- Luffangulin, a novel ribosome inactivating peptide from ridge gourd (Luffa acutangula) seedsHexiang Wang
Department of Microbiology, College of Biological Science, China Agricultural University, Beijing
Life Sci 70:899-906. 2002..5 kDa-arginine/glutamate-rich polypeptide from Luffa cylindrica seeds, was isolated from seeds of a closely related species, the ridge gourd Luffa acutangula. The 5...
- Isolation and characterization of luffacylin, a ribosome inactivating peptide with anti-fungal activity from sponge gourd (Luffa cylindrica) seedsA Parkash
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, NT, Hong Kong, China
Peptides 23:1019-24. 2002..Luffacylin exerted anti-fungal activity against Mycosphaerella arachidicola and Fusarium oxysporum...
- [Biological characters of the different varieties for Luffa cylindrica]Y Yang
Shanxi Corporation of Medicinal Materials, Taiyuan 030012
Zhong Yao Cai 22:165-7. 1999The yield of Luffa cylindrica cultivated in Taiyuan of Shanxi Province, which introduced from Zhejiang Province, was obviously high than that of local variety. The paper reported the biological characters of the two varieties.
- Chlorella sorokiniana immobilized on the biomatrix of vegetable sponge of Luffa cylindrica: a new system to remove cadmium from contaminated aqueous mediumNasreen Akhtar
Department of Biology, Government Islamia College for Women, Cooper Road, Lahore 54550, Pakistan
Bioresour Technol 88:163-5. 2003A new sorption system of microalgal cells immobilized on the biostructural matrix of Luffa cylindrica for sequestering cadmium is reported...
- A novel circulating loop bioreactor with cells immobilized in loofa ( Luffa cylindrica) sponge for the bioconversion of raw cassava starch to ethanolN D Roble
Institute of Applied Biochemistry, University of Tsukuba, 1 1 1 Tennodai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305, Japan
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 60:671-8. 2003..Under these conditions, ethanol productivity increased by more than 100%, to 1.17 g l(-1) x h(-1)...
- Microalgal-luffa sponge immobilized disc: a new efficient biosorbent for the removal of Ni(II) from aqueous solutionN Akhtar
Department of Biology, Government Islamia College for Women, University of Punjab, Quaid e Azam Campus, Lahore, Pakistan
Lett Appl Microbiol 37:149-53. 2003..The aim was to develop a new, efficient and cost-effective biosorbent for the removal of heavy metals from aqueous solution...
- L-Lactic acid production from raw cassava starch in a circulating loop bioreactor with cells immobilized in loofa (Luffa cylindrica)Noel D Roble
Institute of Applied Biochemistry, University of Tsukuba, 1 1 1 Tennodai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305, Japan
Biotechnol Lett 25:1093-8. 2003..76 g lactic acid g(-1) starch and 1.6 g lactic acid l(-1) h(-1), respectively...
- Purification and characterization of Luffin P1, a ribosome-inactivating peptide from the seeds of Luffa cylindricaFeng Li
Key Laboratory of Proteomics, Institute of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 320 Yue Yang Road, Shanghai 200031, PR China
Peptides 24:799-805. 2003A peptide designated Luffin P1 was purified from the seeds of Luffa cylindrica. Its molecular mass was determined to be 5226.1 Da by MALDI-TOF MS analysis...
- [Purification and partial characterization of luffin P1, a peptide with translational inhibitory activity and trypsin inhibitory activity, from seeds of Luffa cylindrica]Feng Li
Key Laboratory of Proteomics Institute of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, The Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 200031, China
Sheng Wu Hua Xue Yu Sheng Wu Wu Li Xue Bao (Shanghai) 35:847-52. 2003A peptide, luffin P1, from seeds of Luffa cylindrica, was purified by ammonia sulfate precipitation, CM-52 ion exchange chromatography, Blue-gel affinity chromatography and FPLC Mono S ion exchange chromatography...
- Two new cucurbitacin glucosides, opercurins A and B, from the Brazilian folk medicine "Buchinha" (Luffa operculata)Nobuo Kawahara
National Institute of Health Sciences NIHS 1 18 1 Kamiyoga, Setagaya Ku, Tokyo 158 8501, Japan
Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 52:1018-20. 2004The structures of two new cucurbitacin glucosides designated opercurins A (1) and B (2), isolated from the fruit of Luffa operculata, have been confirmed by extensive spectroscopic investigation.
- Morphosynthesis: high fidelity inorganic replica of the fibrous network of loofa sponge (Luffa cylindrica)Italo O Mazali
Laboratório de Química do Estado Sólido, Instituto de Quimica, UNICAMP, Cx Postal 6154, 13083 970 Campinas, SP, Brazil
An Acad Bras Cienc 77:25-31. 2005..calcium carbonate and hydroxyapatite (bio) inorganic replicas of the fibrous network of the dried fruit of Luffa cylindrica are described, utilizing a facile synthetic route...
- Loofa sponge as a scaffold for culture of rat hepatocytesJyh Ping Chen
Graduate Institute of Biochemical and Biomedical Engineering and Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering, Chang Gung University, Kwei San, Taoyuan 333, Taiwan, ROC
Biotechnol Prog 21:315-9. 2005The dried fruit from Luffa cylindrica (loofa sponge, LS), which represents a new chitinous source material, was used as a 3-D scaffold for the culture of rat hepatocytes. With the macroporous structure and large pore size (ca...
- [Cloning and expression of luffin-a gene from the seeds of Luffa cylindrical]Xiao Rong Xu
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, College of Medicine, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou 310006, China
Zhejiang Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban 34:207-11, 216. 2005To clone luffin-a cDNA from the seeds of Luffa cylindrical, and to obtain bioactive recombinant luffin-a protein using the expression vector pET-44a (+) in E. coli.
- Experimental investigation of various vegetable fibers as sorbent materials for oil spillsT R Annunciado
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Federal University of Paraná UFPR, P O Box 19 011, 81 531 990 Curitiba PR, Brazil
Mar Pollut Bull 50:1340-6. 2005..namely mixed leaves residues, mixed sawdust, sisal (Agave sisalana), coir fiber (Cocos nucifera), sponge-gourd (Luffa cylindrica) and silk-floss as sorbent materials of crude oil...
- Luffa operculata affects mucociliary function of the isolated frog palateMônica Aidar Menon-Miyake
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Am J Rhinol 19:353-7. 2005b>Luffa operculata is a medicinal plant used in homeopathic and alternative medicine. In the United States, it is sold in a purified spray form, whereas a homemade L. operculata dry fruit infusion (DFI) is commonly used in Latin America...
- [Relationships of Aulacophora beetles feeding behavior with cucurbitacin types in host crops]Xiao Yang
Institute of Tropical and Subtropical Ecology, South China Agricultural University, Guangzhou 510642, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 16:1326-9. 2005..A. fernzoralis chinensis usually feeds upon Cucumis sativus and Cucurbita moschata, but never upon Luffa acutangula, Momordica charantia and Citrullas lanatus...
- Luffa operculata effects on the epithelium of frog palate: histological featuresMônica Aidar Menon-Miyake
University of Sao Paulo
Braz J Otorhinolaryngol 71:132-8. 2005b>Luffa operculata is the botanical name of buchinha-do-norte or cabacinha, which is a medicinal plant widely used for the treatment of rhinitis and rhinosinusitis. In Europe and USA, it is available in homeopathic medicines...
- Antioxidant constituents in the fruits of Luffa cylindrica (L.) RoemQizhen Du
Institute of Food and Biological Engineering, Zhejiang Gongshang University, 149 Jiaogong Road, Hangzhou 310035, China
J Agric Food Chem 54:4186-90. 2006Hydrophilic antioxidant constituents in the fruits of the vegetable Luffa cylindrica (L...
- Production of lactic acid with loofa sponge immobilized Rhizopus oryzae RBU2-10Ruma Ganguly
Department of Biotechnology, Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee, Roorkee 247667, India
Bioresour Technol 98:1246-51. 2007..Shape and texture of loofa sponge, which was obtained from the mature dried fruit of Luffa cylindrica, remained intact after its treatment with buffers of varying pH and following its repeated autoclaving ..
- Immunomodulatory effects of two sapogenins 1 and 2 isolated from Luffa cylindrica in Balb/C miceAnamika Khajuria
Division of Pharmacology, Regional Research Laboratory CSIR, Jammu, Tawi 180001, India
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 17:1608-12. 2007Two Triterpenoids (sapogenins 1 and 2) isolated from Luffa cylindrica were subjected to immunomodulatory activity in male Balb/c mice. Mice were treated with three doses of sapogenins 1 and 2 (10, 30 and 100 mg/kg) and levamisole (2...
- A multi-locus chloroplast phylogeny for the Cucurbitaceae and its implications for character evolution and classificationAlexander Kocyan
Department of Biology, Ludwig Maximilians University, D 80638 Munich, Germany
Mol Phylogenet Evol 44:553-77. 2007..A newly discovered large clade consists of the ancestrally Asian genera Nothoalsomitra, Luffa, Gymnopetalum, Hodgsonia, Trichosanthes, and the New World tribe Sicyeae...
- X-ray sequence and crystal structure of luffaculin 1, a novel type 1 ribosome-inactivating proteinXiaomin Hou
State Key Laboratory of Structural Chemistry, Fujian Institute of Research on the Structure of Matter, The Chinese Academy of Sciences, 155 Yang Qiao Xi Lu, Fuzhou, Fujian, China
BMC Struct Biol 7:29. 2007..Luffaculin 1 is a new type 1 ribosome-inactivating protein (RIP) isolated from the seeds of Luffa acutangula...
- Acetylation of loofa (Luffa cylindrica) sponge as immobilization carrier for bioprocesses involving cellulaseAkihiro Hideno
Graduate School of Life and Environmental Sciences, University of Tsukuba, 1 1 1 Tennoudai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8572, Japan
J Biosci Bioeng 103:311-7. 2007..The results obtained in this study showed that acetylated loofa sponge is suitable as an immobilization carrier for bioprocesses involving cellulase...
- [Comparative analysis of rDNA distribution in metaphase chromosomes of Cucurbitaceae species]Yan Hao Xu
Key Laboratory of MOE for Plant Development Biology, College of Life Sciences, Wuhan University, Wuhan 430072, China
Yi Chuan 29:614-20. 2007..b>Luffa cylindrical Roem. contained five pairs of 45S rDNA loci and one pair of 5S rDNA loci. In Benincasa hispida Cogn...
- Immobilization of Streptomyces clavuligerus on loofah sponge for the production of clavulanic acidParag S Saudagar
Food Engineering and Technology Department, Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai 400 019, India
Bioresour Technol 99:2250-3. 2008..The high void volume, permeability, and low cost of fibrous matrices prompted the use of Luffa cylindrica as a matrix for the immobilization of S. clavuligerus for the production of clavulanic acid...
- A new flavone glycoside from the fruits of Luffa cylindricaQizhen Du
Institute of Food and Biological Engineering, Zhejiang Gongshang University, Hangzhou, China
Fitoterapia 78:609-10. 2007The methyl ester of diosmetin 7-O-beta-D-glucuronide (1) was isolated from the fruits of Luffa cylindrica. Its structure was determined by spectroscopic methods.
- Efficacy of application of vegetable seed oils as grain protectant against infestation by Callosobruchus chinensis and its effect on milling fractions and apparent degree of dehusking of legume-pulsesDheeraj Mishra
Department of Biochemical Engineering and Food Technology, Harcourt Butler Technological Institute, Kanpur, India
J Oleo Sci 56:1-7. 2006..Momordica charentia), Small bitter gourd (Momordica dioica), Bottle gourd (Lagenaria siscraria) and Ridge gourd (Luffa acutangula) were evaluated as grain protectant against callosobruchus chinensis on the stored legume-pulse grains...
- Dye adsorption behavior of Luffa cylindrica fibersH Demir
Izmir Institute of Technology, Faculty of Engineering, Department of Chemical Engineering, Gulbahce Campus, Urla Izmir, Turkey
J Hazard Mater 153:389-94. 2008Using natural Luffa cylindrica fibers as adsorbent removal of methylene blue dye from aqueous solutions at different temperatures and dye concentrations was investigated in this study...
- Cortical Aerenchyma formation in hypocotyl and adventitious roots of Luffa cylindrica subjected to soil floodingSatoshi Shimamura
National Institute of Crop Science, 2 1 18 Kannondai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, 305 8518, Japan
Ann Bot 100:1431-9. 2007..The aim of this study is to characterize the morphological changes in flooded tissues and the pattern of cortical aerenchyma formation, and to analyse the relative amount of aerenchyma formed...
- Determination of triazine herbicides in fruits and vegetables using dispersive solid-phase extraction coupled with LC-MSFeng Ji
State Key Laboratory of Environmental Chemistry and Ecotoxicology, Research Center for Eco Environmental Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China
J Sep Sci 31:961-8. 2008..Three typical representative samples (luffa, broad bean, and grape) were selected to investigate the effect of different matrices on pesticide recoveries and ..
- Fluoride accumulation in soil and vegetation in the vicinity of brick fieldsS K Jha
Department of Botany, Lucknow University, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India
Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 80:369-73. 2008..The local vegetations grown in the area found to accumulate air borne fluoride from the brick field. The fluoride accumulation in the vegetation followed the order Mentha arvensis > Spinacea oleracea > Luffa cylindrical.
- Statistical optimization of alpha-amylase production with immobilized cells of Streptomyces erumpens MTCC 7317 in Luffa cylindrica L. sponge discsShaktimay Kar
Microbiology Laboratory, Regional Center of Central Tuber Crops Research Institute, Bhubaneswar, India
Appl Biochem Biotechnol 152:177-88. 2009..e., agar-agar, polyacrylamide, and luffa (Luffa cylindrica L.) sponge for production of alpha-amylase...
- A novel recombinant immunotoxin with the smallest ribosome-inactivating protein Luffin P1: T-cell cytotoxicity and prolongation of allograft survivalRupeng Wang
Chongqing Key Lab for Diseases Proteomics, Institute of Burn Research, Southwest Hospital, Third Military Medical University, Chongqing, China
J Cell Mol Med 14:578-86. 2010..We have identified a novel class of small molecule RIPs (<10 kD) from the seeds of the plant Luffa cylindrica. The smallest member of this family, Luffin P1, has a molecular weight of 5226...
- Macroporous silicon oxycarbide fibers with luffa-like superhydrophobic shellsPing Lu
Fiber and Polymer Science, University of California, Davis, California 95616, USA
J Am Chem Soc 131:10346-7. 2009..The unique luffa-like shell combined with intrinsic silicon-containing groups accounts for the resultant superhydrophobic property...
- Disinfection of waterborne coliform bacteria using Luffa cylindrica fruit and seed extractsAmeer Shaheed
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Imperial College London, London SW7 2AZ, UK
Environ Technol 30:1435-40. 2009This study examined the potential of extracts of the plant Luffa cylindrica to act as disinfectants of drinking water. Aqueous extracts of the seeds and fruit of L...
- A natural sorbent, Luffa cylindrica for the removal of a model basic dyeAylin Altinişik
Dokuz Eylul University, Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Department of Chemistry, Tinaztepe Campus, Buca Izmir, Turkey
J Hazard Mater 179:658-64. 2010In this work, application of Luffa cylindrica in malachite green (MG) removal from aqueous solution was studied in a batch system. The effect of contact time, pH and temperature on removal of malachite green was also investigated...
- Host range and complete genome sequence of Cucurbit chlorotic yellows virus, a new member of the genus CrinivirusMitsuru Okuda
National Agriculture Research Center for Kyushu Okinawa Region, Koshi, Kumamoto, Japan
Phytopathology 100:560-6. 2010..Citrullus lanatus, Cucurbita pepo, and Luffa cylindrica were susceptible to CCYV; however, the infection rates were low and symptoms were unclear...
- Tomato leaf curl Bangalore virus (ToLCBV): infectivity and enhanced pathogenicity with diverse betasatellitesNeha Tiwari
Advanced Centre for Plant Virology, Division of Plant Pathology, Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi 110012, India
Arch Virol 155:1343-7. 2010..betasatellite-[India:Hessarghatta:2008], ToLCBB-[IN:Hess:08] and with two other non-cognate betasatellites, Cotton leaf curl Multan betasatellite-[India:SriGanganagar:2002] and Luffa leaf distortion betasatellite-[India:Luffa:2004].
- Bilateral thalamic necrosis following ingestion of ridge gourd infested with coelomycete fungi (Diplodia)Aaron de Souza
Department of Neurology, Goa Medical College, Goa 403 202, India
J Neurol Sci 295:104-6. 2010..leukocytosis and metabolic acidosis following consumption of raw dried fruits of the ridge gourd plant (Luffa acutangula) prescribed by a traditional medicine practitioner...
- Cloning and soluble expression of mature alpha-luffin from Luffa cylindrica and its antitumor activities in vitroLiling Liu
Department of Dermatology, Xinqiao Hospital, Third Military Medical University, Chongqing, China
Acta Biochim Biophys Sin (Shanghai) 42:585-92. 2010..is known to be the most toxic of the luffin family and apparently possesses antitumor activity, was isolated from Luffa cylindrica seeds. In the present study, mature alpha-luffin was cloned from L...