Genomes and Genes
substance withdrawal syndrome
Summary: Physiological and psychological symptoms associated with withdrawal from the use of a drug after prolonged administration or habituation. The concept includes withdrawal from smoking or drinking, as well as withdrawal from an administered drug.
Publications313 found, 100 shown here
- Effect of varenicline and bupropion SR on craving, nicotine withdrawal symptoms, and rewarding effects of smoking during a quit attemptRobert West
Cancer Research UK Health Behaviour Unit, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College London, Brook House, London, UK
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 197:371-7. 2008....
- Behavioural assessment of drug reinforcement and addictive features in rodents: an overviewCarles Sanchis-Segura
Department of Psychopharmacology, Central Institute of Mental Health, Germany
Addict Biol 11:2-38. 2006..In addition, comic strips that illustrate behavioural methods used in the drug abuse field are provided given for free download under http://www.zi-mannheim/psychopharmacology.de...
- Chronic stress, drug use, and vulnerability to addictionRajita Sinha
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06515, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1141:105-30. 2008....
- Elevated glucocorticoid levels are responsible for induction of tyrosine hydroxylase mRNA expression, phosphorylation, and enzyme activity in the nucleus of the solitary tract during morphine withdrawalCristina Nunez
Department of Pharmacology, University School of Medicine, Campus de Espinardo, 30100 Murcia, Spain
Endocrinology 150:3118-27. 2009....
- 24-h smoking abstinence potentiates fMRI-BOLD activation to smoking cues in cerebral cortex and dorsal striatumF Joseph McClernon
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27708, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 204:25-35. 2009..Exposure to smoking-related cues can trigger relapse in smokers attempting to maintain abstinence...
- Brain metabolic changes during cigarette cravingArthur L Brody
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, University of California Los Angeles, 300 UCLA Medical Plaza, Suite 2200, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 59:1162-72. 2002..The objective of this study was to determine changes in regional cerebral glucose metabolism and correlations between craving and regional metabolism in heavy cigarette smokers exposed to cigarette-related cues...
- CRF-CRF1 system activation mediates withdrawal-induced increases in nicotine self-administration in nicotine-dependent ratsOlivier George
Committee on the Neurobiology of Addictive Disorders, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:17198-203. 2007..Overactivation of the CRF-CRF(1) system may contribute to nicotine dependence and may represent a prominent target for investigating the vulnerability to tobacco addiction...
- The early time course of smoking withdrawal effectsPeter S Hendricks
Department of Psychology, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL 33617, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 187:385-96. 2006..The literature contains a range of estimates about the early appearance of withdrawal symptoms, but without reference to empirical data...
- Nicotine dependence and reward differ between adolescent and adult male miceD Kota
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Virginia Commonwealth University, Box 980613, Richmond, VA 23298 0613, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 322:399-407. 2007..These data indicate that the underlying receptor mechanisms of nicotine dependence differ for adults and adolescents, suggesting that the effectiveness of smoking cessation therapies will differ for various age groups...
- Withdrawal from chronic administration of cocaine decreases delta opioid receptor signaling and increases anxiety- and depression-like behaviors in the ratShane A Perrine
Temple University School of Medicine, Department of Pharmacology, Center for Substance Abuse Research, 3420 N Broad St, Philadelphia, PA 19140, USA
Neuropharmacology 54:355-64. 2008..Furthermore, cocaine-induced anxiety- and depression-like behaviors were reversible by the delta opioid receptor agonist SNC80...
- Role of orexin/hypocretin in dependence and addictionRuth Sharf
Department of Psychiatry, Ribicoff Research Facilities, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06508, USA
Brain Res 1314:130-8. 2010....
- Modeling withdrawal syndrome in zebrafishJonathan Cachat
Department of Pharmacology and Neuroscience Program, Tulane University Medical School, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Behav Brain Res 208:371-6. 2010..Overall, discontinuation of ethanol, diazepam and morphine produced anxiogenic-like behavioral or endocrine responses, demonstrating the utility of zebrafish in translational research of withdrawal syndrome...
- Effects of β-adrenoceptor antagonists on alcohol drinking by alcohol-dependent ratsNicholas W Gilpin
Committee on Neurobiology of Addictive Disorders, The Scripps Research Institute, SP30 2400 10550 N Torrey Pines Rd, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 212:431-9. 2010....
- Incubation of cue-induced cigarette craving during abstinence in human smokersGillinder Bedi
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Neuroscience, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Biol Psychiatry 69:708-11. 2011..It is unknown whether cue-induced craving increases, decreases, or remains constant with abstinence in humans. We investigated effects of abstinence on cue-induced craving in cigarette smokers...
- Differences of acute versus chronic ethanol exposure on anxiety-like behavioral responses in zebrafishPriya Mathur
Department of Bioengineering and Therapeutic Sciences, Programs in Biological Sciences and Human Genetics, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 2811, United States
Behav Brain Res 219:234-9. 2011....
- The Cannabis Withdrawal Scale development: patterns and predictors of cannabis withdrawal and distressDavid J Allsop
National Cannabis Prevention and Information Centre, University of New South Wales, Sydney 2031, Australia
Drug Alcohol Depend 119:123-9. 2011..The aim is to develop and test the psychometrics of the Cannabis Withdrawal Scale and use it to explore predictors of cannabis withdrawal...
- The association of the appetitive peptide acetylated ghrelin with alcohol craving in early abstinent alcohol dependent individualsAnne Koopmann
Department of Addictive Behavior and Addiction Medicine, Central Institute of Mental Health, J5 68159 Mannheim, Germany
Psychoneuroendocrinology 37:980-6. 2012....
- Withdrawal symptoms in abstinent methamphetamine-dependent subjectsTodd Zorick
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Addiction 105:1809-18. 2010..g. depression, psychosis) persist beyond a month of abstinence...
- CRF₂ mediates the increased noradrenergic activity in the hypothalamic paraventricular nucleus and the negative state of morphine withdrawal in ratsJavier Navarro-Zaragoza
Group of Cellular and Molecular Pharmacology, University School of Medicine, Murcia, Spain
Br J Pharmacol 162:851-62. 2011....
- Instructed smoking expectancy modulates cue-elicited neural activity: a preliminary studyStephen J Wilson
Department of Psychology, University of Pittsburgh and Center for the Neural Basis of Cognition, Pittsburgh, PA 15260, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 7:637-45. 2005..These results highlight the importance of perceived drug use opportunity in the neurobiological response to drug cues...
- Rats with extended access to cocaine exhibit increased stress reactivity and sensitivity to the anxiolytic-like effects of the mGluR 2/3 agonist LY379268 during abstinenceHarinder Aujla
Molecular and Integrative Neurosciences Department, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 33:1818-26. 2008....
- Calcium/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II mediates hippocampal glutamatergic plasticity during benzodiazepine withdrawalGuofu Shen
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Toledo College of Medicine, Health Science Campus, Toledo, OH 43614, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 35:1897-909. 2010....
- Effects of stress on decision-making deficits in formerly heroin-dependent patients after different durations of abstinenceXiao Li Zhang
National Institute on Drug Dependence, Peking University, Beijing, China
Am J Psychiatry 168:610-6. 2011....
- Risk assessment of moderate to severe alcohol withdrawal--predictors for seizures and delirium tremens in the course of withdrawalFlorian Eyer
Department of Toxicology, II Medizinische Klinik, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Technische Universitat Munchen, Munich, Germany
Alcohol Alcohol 46:427-33. 2011..To develop a prediction model for withdrawal seizures (WS) and delirium tremens (DT) during moderate to severe alcohol withdrawal syndrome (AWS) in a large cohort of inpatients treated for AWS (n = 827)...
- Repeated ethanol exposure and withdrawal impairs human fear conditioning and depresses long-term potentiation in rat amygdala and hippocampusDavid N Stephens
Department of Psychology, University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton BN1 9QG, United Kingdom
Biol Psychiatry 58:392-400. 2005..In rats, repeated episodes of alcohol consumption and withdrawal (RWD) impair fear conditioning to discrete cues...
- Inhibition of PKMzeta in nucleus accumbens core abolishes long-term drug reward memoryYan qin Li
National Institute on Drug Dependence, Peking University, Beijing 100191, China
J Neurosci 31:5436-46. 2011..Results indicate that PKMζ activity in accumbens core is a critical cellular substrate for the maintenance of memories of relapse-provoking reward cues during prolonged abstinence periods...
- Cocaine-induced plasticity in the nucleus accumbens is cell specific and develops without prolonged withdrawalAlice Dobi
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Neurosci 31:1895-904. 2011..In conclusion, a few repeated cocaine injections are enough to trigger adaptations at glutamatergic synapses in D(1)-expressing MSNs, which, although they take time to develop, do not require prolonged cocaine withdrawal...
- The role of dorsal vs ventral striatal pathways in cocaine-seeking behavior after prolonged abstinence in ratsR E See
Department of Neurosciences, Medical University of South Carolina, 173 Ashley Avenue, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 194:321-31. 2007..Recent studies have implicated an important role for the dorsal striatum during craving for cocaine and in cocaine-seeking after abstinence in rats...
- Neuroadaptations in cystine-glutamate exchange underlie cocaine relapseDavid A Baker
Department of Physiology and Neuroscience, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
Nat Neurosci 6:743-9. 2003..Thus, withdrawal from repeated cocaine increases susceptibility to relapse in part by reducing cystine/glutamate exchange, and restoring exchanger activity prevents cocaine-primed drug seeking...
- Opioids: cellular mechanisms of tolerance and physical dependenceChris P Bailey
Department of Pharmacology, University of Bristol, School of Medical Sciences, Bristol BS8 1TD, UK
Curr Opin Pharmacol 5:60-8. 2005....
- Neural substrates of faulty decision-making in abstinent marijuana usersKaren I Bolla
Department of Neurology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Bayview Medical Center, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Neuroimage 26:480-92. 2005..Finally, it is unclear if these neurologic findings will become progressively worse with continued heavy MJ use or if they will resolve with abstinence from MJ use...
- Withdrawal of fluticasone propionate from combined salmeterol/fluticasone treatment in patients with COPD causes immediate and sustained disease deterioration: a randomised controlled trialE F M Wouters
Department of Respiratory Medicine, University Hospital Maastricht, The Netherlands
Thorax 60:480-7. 2005..Combined treatment with ICS and long acting beta2 agonists (LABA) may provide benefit to the stability of COPD, but it is unknown if withdrawal of ICS will result in disease deterioration...
- Nicotine patch therapy prior to quitting smoking: a meta-analysisSaul Shiffman
Pinney Associates, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Addiction 103:557-63. 2008..To evaluate the incremental efficacy of starting nicotine patch treatment prior to quitting compared to the current regimen of starting patch treatment on the target quit day...
- Advice alone vs. structured detoxification programmes for medication overuse headache: a prospective, randomized, open-label trial in transformed migraine patients with low medical needsP Rossi
Headache Clinic, INI Grottaferrata, Grottaferrata, Italy
Cephalalgia 26:1097-105. 2006..5% of patients in group A, 71.7% of patients in group B and 76.9% of those in group C (P>0.05). In patients with migraine plus MOH and low medical needs, effective drug withdrawal may be obtained through the imparting of advice alone...
- Medication-overuse headache: where are we now?Zaza Katsarava
Department of Neurology, University of Essen, Essen, Denmark
Curr Opin Neurol 20:326-30. 2007..The International Headache Society revised the classification criteria. We provide a summary of the new findings and concepts...
- Imaging stress- and cue-induced drug and alcohol craving: association with relapse and clinical implicationsRajita Sinha
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06519, USA
Drug Alcohol Rev 26:25-31. 2007..Efficacy of pharmacological and behavioral treatments that specifically target stress and cue-induced craving and arousal responses may also be assessed via alterations in these brain correlates...
- Cognitive functioning of long-term heavy cannabis users seeking treatmentNadia Solowij
National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW 2052, Australia
JAMA 287:1123-31. 2002..Cognitive impairments are associated with long-term cannabis use, but the parameters of use that contribute to impairments and the nature and endurance of cognitive dysfunction remain uncertain...
- The neurotoxicity induced by ethanol withdrawal in mature organotypic hippocampal slices might involve cross-talk between metabotropic glutamate type 5 receptors and N-methyl-D-aspartate receptorsBarton R Harris
Department of Molecular and Biomedical Pharmacology, University of Kentucky Chandler Medical Center, Lexington 40546, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 27:1724-35. 2003..The following studies use organotypic hippocampal slice cultures at a mature age to investigate the potential for this interplay in the neurotoxicity associated with withdrawal from long-term ethanol exposure...
- Effect of pattern and number of chronic ethanol exposures on subsequent voluntary ethanol intake in C57BL/6J miceMarcelo F Lopez
Charleston Alcohol Research Center, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 181:688-96. 2005..This study was conducted to examine chronic ethanol conditions that optimize this enhanced ethanol-drinking behavior...
- Severity of nicotine dependence modulates cue-induced brain activity in regions involved in motor preparation and imageryMichael N Smolka
Department of Addictive Behavior and Addiction Medicine, Central Institute of Mental Health, Mannheim, Germany
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 184:577-88. 2006..Cue-induced brain activation is associated with self-reported craving but further correlates are widely unknown...
- An fMRI investigation of the impact of withdrawal on regional brain activity during nicotine anticipationRebecca Gloria
Department of Psychology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
Psychophysiology 46:681-93. 2009..These results suggest that withdrawal and nicotine anticipation produce (1) different motor preparatory and inhibitory response processing and (2) different craving related processing...
- Increased ventral striatal BOLD activity during non-drug reward anticipation in cannabis usersLiam Nestor
School of Psychology and Institute of Neuroscience, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland
Neuroimage 49:1133-43. 2010....
- Gene expression profiling following short-term and long-term morphine exposure in mice uncovers genes involved in food intakeA Anghel
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, Charles Drew University of Medicine and Sciences UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90059, USA
Neuroscience 167:554-66. 2010..Changes in genes related to food intake may uncover new pathways related to some of the physiological effects of opioids...
- Antagonism of orexin type 1 receptors in the locus coeruleus attenuates signs of naloxone-precipitated morphine withdrawal in ratsHossein Azizi
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medical Sciences, Tarbiat Modares University, PO Box 14115 331, Tehran, IR, Iran
Neurosci Lett 482:255-9. 2010..These results suggest that activation of OXR1 in the LC might be involved in the expression of withdrawal signs in morphine dependent rats...
- Cocaine-induced metaplasticity in the nucleus accumbens: silent synapse and beyondBrian R Lee
Program in Neuroscience, Washington State University, Wegner 205, PO Box 646520, Pullman, WA 99164 6520, USA
Neuropharmacology 61:1060-9. 2011..Taken together, metaplasticity ultimately serves as a key step in mediating cascades of addiction-related plastic alterations...
- Fatalities temporally associated with the ingestion of ibogaineKenneth R Alper
Department of Psychiatry, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY 10016, USA
J Forensic Sci 57:398-412. 2012..Other apparent risk factors include seizures associated with withdrawal from alcohol and benzodiazepines and the uninformed use of ethnopharmacological forms of ibogaine...
- Rapid nicotine clearance is associated with greater reward and heart rate increases from intravenous nicotineMehmet Sofuoglu
Department of Psychiatry and VA Connecticut Healthcare System, Yale University School of Medicine, West Haven, CT 06516, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 37:1509-16. 2012..These findings warrant further investigation, especially in treatment-seeking smokers undergoing cessation treatment...
- Chronic morphine treatment and withdrawal induce up-regulation of c-Jun N-terminal kinase 3 gene expression in rat brainX L Fan
National Laboratory of Medical Neurobiology, Shanghai Medical College, Fudan University, 138 Yi Xue Yuan Road, Shanghai 200032, People s Republic of China
Neuroscience 122:997-1002. 2003..The changes in JNK3 gene expression in brain induced by chronic opioid treatment may play a role in opioid-induced apoptosis and neurotoxicity...
- PET imaging of dopamine transporter and drug craving during methadone maintenance treatment and after prolonged abstinence in heroin usersJie Shi
National Institute on Drug Dependence, Peking University, Beijing 100083, China
Eur J Pharmacol 579:160-6. 2008..Our findings suggest that chronic opioid use induces long-lasting striatum dopamine neuron impairment, and prolonged withdrawal from opioids can benefit the recovery of impaired dopamine neurons in the brain...
- The ibogaine medical subcultureKenneth R Alper
Department of Psychiatry, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY 10016, USA
J Ethnopharmacol 115:9-24. 2008..This study describes the ibogaine medical subculture and presents quantitative data regarding treatment and the purpose for which individuals have taken ibogaine...
- Use of varenicline for 4 weeks before quitting smoking: decrease in ad lib smoking and increase in smoking cessation ratesPeter Hajek
United Kingdom Centre for Tobacco Control Studies, Wolfson Institute of Preventive Medicine, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary, University of London, London, England
Arch Intern Med 171:770-7. 2011..We set out to determine whether increasing the prequit medication period renders cigarettes less satisfying and facilitates quitting...
- Withdrawal from chronic nicotine exposure alters dopamine signaling dynamics in the nucleus accumbensLifen Zhang
Center on Addiction, Learning, and Memory, Department of Neuroscience, Menninger Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030 3498, USA
Biol Psychiatry 71:184-91. 2012..Alterations in dopamine (DA) signaling correlate with withdrawal from chronic nicotine exposure, but those changes have not been well-characterized...
- Involvement of orexin in the regulation of stress, depression and reward in alcohol dependenceChristoph von der Goltz
Dept of Addictive Behaviour and Addiction Medicine, Central Institute of Mental Health, J5, 68159 Mannheim, Germany
Horm Behav 60:644-50. 2011..Moreover, the effects on global distress indices as well as the earlier studied effects on reinstatement of drug seeking behaviors may point on an involvement of ORX in impaired brain stress systems...
- Actin polymerization-dependent increase in synaptic Arc/Arg3.1 expression in the amygdala is crucial for the expression of aversive memory associated with drug withdrawalYao Liu
State Key Laboratory of Drug Research, Shanghai Institute of Materia Medica, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 201203, China
J Neurosci 32:12005-17. 2012..1 is a crucial mediator for actin polymerization functions, and, thus, underscores the unknown details of how actin polymerization mediates synaptic plasticity and memory...
- Hippocampal CA1 region neurodegeneration produced by ethanol withdrawal requires activation of intrinsic polysynaptic hippocampal pathways and function of N-methyl-D-aspartate receptorsM A Prendergast
Department of Psychology, University of Kentucky, 115 Kastle Hall, Lexington, KY 40506 0044, USA
Neuroscience 124:869-77. 2004..These data suggest that neurodegeneration observed during ethanol withdrawal is dependent upon polysynaptic propagation of action potentials ("network excitation") and whole-hippocampal excitation of glutamatergic systems...
- Long-term methadone maintenance reduces protracted symptoms of heroin abstinence and cue-induced craving in Chinese heroin abusersJie Shi
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, National Institute on Drug Dependence, Peking University, Beijing 100083, China
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 87:141-5. 2007..PA symptoms have rarely been compared between drug-free and methadone-maintained former heroin users after similar lengths of heroin abstinence...
- Differential role of nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunits in physical and affective nicotine withdrawal signsK J Jackson
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Virginia Commonwealth University, Box 980613, Richmond, VA 23298 0613, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 325:302-12. 2008....
- Regulation of extracellular signal-regulated kinases (ERKs) by naloxone-induced morphine withdrawal in the brain stress systemCristina Nunez
Department of Pharmacology, University School of Medicine, Campus de Espinardo, 30100, Murcia, Spain
Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 378:407-20. 2008..These results suggest that extracellular signal-regulated kinases1/2 signaling pathway is necessary for morphine withdrawal-induced activation of brain areas associated with the stress system...
- Bidirectional plasticity in the primate inferior olive induced by chronic ethanol intoxication and sustained abstinenceJohn P Welsh
Center for Integrative Brain Research, Seattle Children s Research Institute, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:10314-9. 2011..Bidirectional plasticity of two hyperpolarization-sensitive currents following chronic ethanol abuse and abstinence may underlie persistent brain dysfunction in primates and be a target for therapy...
- Prefrontal cortical dysfunction in abstinent cocaine abusersKaren Bolla
Department of Neurology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 4940 Eastern Avenue, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 16:456-64. 2004..Since impairment in ECF may be a common feature of various neuropsychiatric disorders, these findings have applicability beyond the neurobiology of addiction...
- Cannabis withdrawal among non-treatment-seeking adult cannabis usersMarc L Copersino
Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics Branch, Intramural Research Program, National Institute on Drug Abuse, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Baltimore, Maryland 21224 6823, USA
Am J Addict 15:8-14. 2006....
- Long-term potentiation (LTP) in the central amygdala (CeA) is enhanced after prolonged withdrawal from chronic cocaine and requires CRF1 receptorsYu Fu
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Medical Branch, University of Texas, 301 University Blvd, Galveston, TX 77555 1031, USA
J Neurophysiol 97:937-41. 2007..We suggest that these signaling mechanisms may provide therapeutic targets for the treatment of cocaine cravings...
- Disruption of the CRF/CRF1 receptor stress system exacerbates the somatic signs of opiate withdrawalFrancesco Papaleo
Laboratoire Homéostasie Allostasie Pathologie, EA 3666, Universite Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2, 146 rue Leo Saignat, 33076 Bordeaux, France
Neuron 53:577-89. 2007..The present findings unravel a key role for the hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) system and brain extra-hypothalamic CRF/CRF1 receptor circuitry in somatic, molecular, and endocrine alterations induced by opiate withdrawal...
- 3-(4-Chloro-2-morpholin-4-yl-thiazol-5-yl)-8-(1-ethylpropyl)-2,6-dimethyl-imidazo[1,2-b]pyridazine: a novel brain-penetrant, orally available corticotropin-releasing factor receptor 1 antagonist with efficacy in animal models of alcoholismDonald R Gehlert
Discovery Research, Lilly Research Laboratories, Eli Lilly and Company, Indianapolis, Indiana 46285, USA
J Neurosci 27:2718-26. 2007..Based on these findings, MTIP is a promising candidate for treatment of alcohol dependence...
- Cellular neuroadaptations to chronic opioids: tolerance, withdrawal and addictionM J Christie
Pain Management Research Institute and Kolling Institute, University of Sydney, Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, NSW, Australia
Br J Pharmacol 154:384-96. 2008....
- Reduced cardio-respiratory coupling in acute alcohol withdrawalKarl Jürgen Bär
Department of Psychiatry, Friedrich Schiller University, Philosophenweg 3, Jena, Germany
Drug Alcohol Depend 98:210-7. 2008..Since linear analysis of heart rate variability may not be entirely adequate to detect such autonomic dysfunction in acute alcohol withdrawal, we applied novel non-linear parameters and measures for cardio-respiratory coupling...
- Effects of corticotropin-releasing factor receptor-1 antagonists on the brain stress system responses to morphine withdrawalJavier Navarro-Zaragoza
Department of Pharmacology, University School of Medicine, University of Murcia, Murcia, Spain
Mol Pharmacol 77:864-73. 2010..However, CRF1R activation may not contribute to the functional interaction between NA and CRF systems in mediating morphine withdrawal-activation of brain stress neurocircuitry...
- First case of stress cardiomyopathy as a result of methadone withdrawal secondary to drug-drug interactionFrédéric Lemesle
Amilly Hospital, France
Am J Emerg Med 28:387.e5-6. 2010..To our knowledge, this is the first case of stress cardiomyopathy described after abrupt opiate withdrawal secondary to a drug-drug interaction...
- Effect of the use-dependent, nicotinic receptor antagonist BTMPS in the forced swim test and elevated plus maze after cocaine discontinuation in ratsBrandon J Hall
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Alzheimer s Research Center, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA 30912 2300, USA
Neurosci Lett 474:84-7. 2010..These results provide proof of concept for the development and use of cholinergic compounds in the treatment of substance abuse...
- Cannabis withdrawal symptoms in non-treatment-seeking adult cannabis smokersKenneth H Levin
Intramural Research Program, National Institute on Drug Abuse, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 111:120-7. 2010..Cannabis withdrawal is not recognized in DSM-IV because of doubts about its clinical significance...
- Decreased proliferation of adult hippocampal stem cells during cocaine withdrawal: possible role of the cell fate regulator FADDM Julia Garcia-Fuster
Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience Institute, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 36:2303-17. 2011....
- Restricted role of CRF1 receptor for the activity of brainstem catecholaminergic neurons in the negative state of morphine withdrawalJuan Antonio Garcia-Carmona
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Murcia, 30100, Murcia, Spain
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 220:379-93. 2012..Evidence suggests that corticotropin-releasing factor (CRF) system is an important mediator in the negative symptoms of opioid withdrawal...
- The marijuana withdrawal syndrome: diagnosis and treatmentMargaret Haney
New York State Psychiatric Institute, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, 1051 Riverside Drive, Unit 120, New York, NY 10032, USA
Curr Psychiatry Rep 7:360-6. 2005..The objective of this review is to update clinicians on the current state of marijuana research and to describe features of marijuana withdrawal to facilitate the diagnosis and treatment of cannabis use disorders...
- Withdrawal from intermittent ethanol exposure increases probability of burst firing in VTA neurons in vitroF Woodward Hopf
Ernest Gallo Clinic and Research Center, University of California San Francisco, Department of Neurology, Emeryville, CA 94608, USA
J Neurophysiol 98:2297-310. 2007....
- Striatal dopamine D2 receptor binding and dopamine release during cue-elicited craving in recently abstinent opiate-dependent malesFleur Zijlstra
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Academic Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 18:262-70. 2008..Chronic craving and anhedonia were positively correlated with DA release. Treatment strategies that increase D2Rs may, therefore, be an interesting approach to prevent relapse in opiate addiction...
- Influence of phase-related variability in premenstrual symptomatology, mood, smoking withdrawal, and smoking behavior during ad libitum smoking, on smoking cessation outcomeSharon S Allen
Tobacco Use Research Center, University of Minnesota, Medical School, 2701 University Avenue SE, Suite 201, Minneapolis, MN 55414, United States
Addict Behav 34:107-11. 2009..These data support the inference that sex hormones influence smoking cessation outcome. This knowledge may contribute to the development of more rational and effective smoking cessation interventions for women...
- Cannabis withdrawal in adolescent treatment seekersRyan Vandrey
Department of Psychology and Psychiatry, University of Vermont, 54 W Twin Oaks Terrace, Suite 12, S Burlington, VT 05403, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 78:205-10. 2005..Addiction 94, 1311-1322]. Further research is needed to elucidate associations between cannabis withdrawal effects, the initiation of cessation attempts, and relapse...
- Effects of expectancy and abstinence on the neural response to smoking cues in cigarette smokers: an fMRI studyDharma McBride
McConnell Brain Imaging Center, Montreal Neurological Institute, McGill University, Montreal, QC, Canada
Neuropsychopharmacology 31:2728-38. 2006..Our findings confirm the importance of expectancy in the neural response to drug cues, and lend support to the theory that these cues act on brain areas involved in arousal and attention...
- The endogenous cannabinoid system modulates nicotine reward and dependenceLisa L Merritt
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 326:483-92. 2008..Taken together, these results support the hypothesis that cannabinoid receptor antagonists may offer therapeutic advantages to treat tobacco dependence...
- Recruitment of medial prefrontal cortex neurons during alcohol withdrawal predicts cognitive impairment and excessive alcohol drinkingOlivier George
Committee on the Neurobiology of Addictive Disorders, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:18156-61. 2012....
- Alterations in BDNF and phospho-CREB levels following chronic oral nicotine treatment and its withdrawal in dopaminergic brain areas of miceTanja Kivinummi
Division of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Helsinki, P O Box 56, FIN 00014 Helsinki, Finland
Neurosci Lett 491:108-12. 2011..In conclusion, the current results suggest the involvement of BDNF- and CREB-related neuronal processes in nicotine-induced neurochemical, behavioural, and neuroplastic changes in dopaminergic neurocircuits...
- Molecular neuroadaptations in the accumbens and ventral tegmental area during the first 90 days of forced abstinence from cocaine self-administration in ratsLin Lu
Behavioral Neuroscience Branch, Intramural Research Program, National Institute on Drug Abuse National Institutes of Health Department of Health and Human Services, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
J Neurochem 85:1604-13. 2003..Cocaine self-administration produces long-lasting molecular neuroadaptations in the VTA and accumbens that may underlie cocaine relapse during periods of abstinence...
- Effectiveness of current treatment approaches for benzodiazepine discontinuation: a meta-analysisJannette M Parr
School of Medicine, University of Queensland, Herston, Queensland, Australia
Addiction 104:13-24. 2009..To assess the effectiveness of current treatment approaches to assist benzodiazepine discontinuation...
- Pre-cessation nicotine replacement therapy: pragmatic randomized trialChris Bullen
Clinical Trials Research Unit, School of Population Health, The University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Addiction 105:1474-83. 2010..To determine the effectiveness of 2 weeks' pre-cessation nicotine patches and/or gum on smoking abstinence at 6 months...
- Loss of morphine-induced analgesia, reward effect and withdrawal symptoms in mice lacking the mu-opioid-receptor geneH W Matthes
UPR 9050 CNRS, ESBS Université Louis Pasteur, Strasbourg, France
Nature 383:819-23. 1996..We conclude that the mu-opioid-receptor gene product is the molecular target of morphine in vivo and that it is a mandatory component of the opioid system for morphine action...
- Treatment of acute opioid withdrawal with ibogaineK R Alper
Department of Psychiatry, New York University School of Medicine, NY 10016, USA
Am J Addict 8:234-42. 1999..The reported effectiveness of ibogaine in this series suggests the need for systematic investigation in a conventional clinical research setting...
- Withdrawal and pre-menstrual symptomatology during the menstrual cycle in short-term smoking abstinence: effects of menstrual cycle on smoking abstinenceS S Allen
Department of Family Practice and Community Health, University of Minnesota School of Medicine, Minneapolis, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 1:129-42. 1999..This suggests women may have greater difficulty quitting smoking in late luteal phase, and it seems prudent to recommend that women quit during the follicular phase of their cycle...
- Drug addictionJordi Camí
Institut Municipal d Investigacio Medica, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain
N Engl J Med 349:975-86. 2003
- Addiction motivation reformulated: an affective processing model of negative reinforcementTimothy B Baker
Department of Psychology, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI 53711 2027, USA
Psychol Rev 111:33-51. 2004..After explicating their model, the authors address previous critiques of negative reinforcement models in light of their reformulation and review predictions generated by their model...
- Cocaine seeking over extended withdrawal periods in rats: different time courses of responding induced by cocaine cues versus cocaine priming over the first 6 monthsLin Lu
Behavioral Neuroscience Branch, IRP NIDA NIH DHHS, 5500 Nathan Shock Drive, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 176:101-8. 2004..Here, we studied cocaine seeking induced by re-exposure to cocaine cues or cocaine itself over an extended withdrawal period of 6 months...
- Brain substrates for increased drug seeking during protracted withdrawalGary Aston-Jones
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania, 705 Stellar Chance 6100, 422 Curie Blvd, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6100, USA
Neuropharmacology 47:167-79. 2004..The combination of anxiety, decreased valence of natural rewards, and sensitized incentive for drugs make a potent formula for relapse and drug seeking during protracted withdrawal...
- Orexin mediates the expression of precipitated morphine withdrawal and concurrent activation of the nucleus accumbens shellRuth Sharf
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06508, USA
Biol Psychiatry 64:175-83. 2008..Although a role for orexin has been shown in reward and dependence, the molecular and neural mechanisms are unclear. We investigated the mechanism and neuroanatomic basis of orexin's role in morphine withdrawal...
- Phasic dopamine release in appetitive behaviors and drug addictionMATTHEW J WANAT
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences and Department of Pharmacology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Curr Drug Abuse Rev 2:195-213. 2009....
- Short-term effectiveness of simple advice as a withdrawal strategy in simple and complicated medication overuse headacheP Rossi
Headache Clinic INI Grottaferrata, Via S Anna snc, 00046 Grottaferrata, Rome, Italy
Eur J Neurol 18:396-401. 2011..The aim of this study was to compare the effectiveness of intensive advice (to withdraw the overused medication/s) as a withdrawal strategy in patients with simple and complicated medication overuse headache (MOH)...
- Zebrafish models to study drug abuse-related phenotypesAdam Stewart
Department of Pharmacology and Neuroscience Program, Zebrafish Neuroscience Research Consortium ZNRC, Tulane University Medical School, 1430 Tulane Ave, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Rev Neurosci 22:95-105. 2011..In this review, we summarize recent findings of a wide spectrum of zebrafish drug abuse-related behavioral and physiological phenotypes, discuss the existing challenges, and outline potential future directions of research in this field...
- Marijuana abstinence effects in marijuana smokers maintained in their home environmentA J Budney
Department of Psychiatry, The University of Vermont, 54 W Twin Oaks Terr, Suite 9, S Burlington, VT 05403, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 58:917-24. 2001..This controlled outpatient study examined the reliability and specificity of the abstinence effects that occur when daily marijuana users abruptly stop smoking marijuana...
- Lack of CB1 cannabinoid receptors modifies nicotine behavioural responses, but not nicotine abstinenceA Castañé
Laboratori de Neurofarmacologia, Facultat de Ciencies de la Salut i de la Vida, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, c Dr Aiguader, 80, 08003 Barcelona, Spain
Neuropharmacology 43:857-67. 2002..These results demonstrate that some acute effects and motivational responses elicited by nicotine can be modulated by the endogenous cannabinoid system and support the existence of a physiological interaction between these two systems...
- Stress sensitization of ethanol withdrawal-induced reduction in social interaction: inhibition by CRF-1 and benzodiazepine receptor antagonists and a 5-HT1A-receptor agonistGeorge R Breese
Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 29:470-82. 2004....
- Modulation of multiple ethanol withdrawal-induced anxiety-like behavior by CRF and CRF1 receptorsDavid H Overstreet
Bowles Center for Alcohol Studies, School of Medicine, University of North Carolina, 3009 Thurston Bowles Building, CB 7178, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7178, USA
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 77:405-13. 2004..These findings indicate that the CRF system and CRF(1) receptors play key roles in the adaptive change responsible for the anxiety-like behavior induced by repeated withdrawals from chronic ethanol...
- Discontinuation of medication overuse in headache patients: recovery of therapeutic responsivenessP Zeeberg
Danish Headache Centre, Department of Neurology, University of Copenhagen, Glostrup Hospital, Glostrup, Denmark
Cephalalgia 26:1192-8. 2006..According to the International Classification of Headache Disorders, 2nd edn, the MOH diagnosis requires improvement after drug withdrawal. Our data suggest that these diagnostic criteria are too strict...
- Characterization of spontaneous and precipitated nicotine withdrawal in the mouseM I Damaj
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, Box 980613, Richmond, VA 23298 0613, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 307:526-34. 2003..The present study demonstrates that our mouse nicotine withdrawal model will be useful for studying the pharmacological, biochemical, and genetic mechanisms involved in nicotine dependence...
- Progestrone and the Effects of NicotineMehmet Sofuoglu; Fiscal Year: 2006..By characterizing the progesterone effects on nicotine dependence, this study may provide a better understanding of the mechanisms which mediate the sex and menstrual cycle phase effects on nicotine dependence. ..
- GABA Medications for Tobacco AddictionMehmet Sofuoglu; Fiscal Year: 2009..The findings of this study will provide valuable information to develop new pharmacotherapies for smoking cessation. ..
- Cocaine Withdrawal and Pharmacotherapy ResponseMehmet Sofuoglu; Fiscal Year: 2010..This proposal, by testing the efficacy of carvedilol and investigating the influence of withdrawal severity on carvedilol's efficacy, may result in development of more effective treatments for cocaine addiction. ..
- Cannabinoid Regulation of Basal Ganglia Glutamate and GABASCOTT RAWLS; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our outcomes will be a first step in determining whether blocking endocannabinoid inactivation offers any therapeutic advantage over direct activation of cannabinoid receptors with marijuana. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Central Mechanisms of Opiate Reinforcement and DependenceGeorge Koob; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- Can beta-lactam antibiotics decrease morphine physical dependence?SCOTT RAWLS; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- NOVEL COCAINE PHARMACOTHERAPIES: LAB STUDIESMargaret Haney; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- The Transition of Nicotine DependenceJoseph DiFranza; Fiscal Year: 2005..A new theory-based measure of early dependence for youths will be tested against established measures of dependence. ..
- Joint Action Analysis of Poly-drug WithdrawalRobert Raffa; Fiscal Year: 2006..g., electrophysiologic or molecular biology techniques. An improved understanding of how withdrawal is influenced by poly-drug abuse could lead to development of enhanced clinical treatment. ..
- Medication Development for Marijuana RelapseMargaret Haney; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Imaging of nicotine sensitization in humans: a translational application of fMRIJoseph DiFranza; Fiscal Year: 2008..The long-term goal is to use this new tool to see how addictive drugs alter the brain, and thereby identify targets for the development of new drugs to treat addiction. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Neuroimaging Attentional Impairment During AbstinenceFrancis McClernon; Fiscal Year: 2008..Dr. McClernon will continue to administer current awards and compete for additional extramural funding while he completes the goals of the application. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Gradual vs Abrupt Cessation Treatment for SmokingJohn Hughes; Fiscal Year: 2007..This study will be the first large, systematic test of gradual vs. abrupt cessation. ..
- Drug Cue Reactivity in Smokers: An fMRI InvestigationFrancis McClernon; Fiscal Year: 2002..The results of this study will enhance our understanding of the neurobiological basis of tobacco dependence, inform treatment development, and generate additional hypotheses and research plans. ..
- THC AND MARIJUANA--EFFECTS IN INDIVIDUALS WITH HIV/AIDSMargaret Haney; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Natural History of Attempts to Stop SmokingJohn R Hughes; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- EVALUATION OF A CIGARETTE SUBSTITUTEJohn Hughes; Fiscal Year: 2001..We believe it imperative to begin studying these substitutes so that, unlike low-tar/low nicotine cigarettes, we will know whether their introduction is good or bad for public health. ..
- Internal Barriers to Seeking Smoking Cessation TreatmentJohn Hughes; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our results will suggest messages for media campaigns and for clinicians to use to motivate smokers to access proven treatments. ..
- Brief Dental Office Intervention with Tobacco QuitlineJon Ebbert; Fiscal Year: 2005..S. adult population smoking; and 3) 75% of smokers quitting for at least one day or longer because they are trying to quit. ..
- DEVELOPMENT OF OPIATE DEPENDENCE--NEURAL SUBSTRATESGERHARD SCHULTEIS; Fiscal Year: 2009..opioid dependence should provide information critical for prevention and treatment of opioid addiction, with particular emphasis on the role of acute dependence in the transition from casual drug use to loss of control and compulsive use ..
- Evaluating Nicotine Lozenges for Treatment of Smokeless Tobacco AddictionJon Ebbert; Fiscal Year: 2009..No drug therapies have been shown to be effective for helping smokeless tobacco users quit for good. The purpose of this study is to test drugs that can be used to help smokeless tobacco users quit for good. ..
- Affect, Context, and Placebo Responses to NicotineKenneth Perkins; Fiscal Year: 2005..Secondary analyses may identify important individual characteristics associated with placebo responses, aiding in the prediction of which smokers ultimately are likely to benefit most from manipulation of placebo effects. ..
- DISCRIMINATIVE STIMULUS EFFECTS OF NICOTINEKenneth Perkins; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Ecology Momentary Assessment of College SmokingTHOMAS PIASECKI; Fiscal Year: 2003..This project has the potential to address key questions about the early smoking career in a population at risk for the development of chronic tobacco dependence. ..
- INDIVIDUAL VARIATION IN NICOTINE SENSITIVITY IN HUMANSKenneth Perkins; Fiscal Year: 2003..e., in nicotine-naive individuals). Results will provide directions for future research on vulnerability to tobacco dependence and for targeted efforts to prevent smoking onset. ..
- SEX DIFFERENCES IN NICOTINE REINFORCEMENT: HUMAN/ANIMALKenneth Perkins; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Withdrawl Kindling in Early Neuroadaptation to EthanolGERHARD SCHULTEIS; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- High Dose Nicotine Patch Therapy for Spit Tobacco UsersJon Ebbert; Fiscal Year: 2004..Our goal is to reduce the prevalence of ST use and decrease the incidence of oropharyngeal cancer through the development of effective treatment options for ST users. ..
- Tobacco Smoking, Nicotine and Negative Affect ReliefKenneth Perkins; Fiscal Year: 2009..In sum, this research will help address the fundamental question of why cigarette smoking is reinforcing. ..
- Reducing Unsafe Drinking in HIV Primary CareDeborah Hasin; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Deborah S Hasin; Fiscal Year: 2016..abstract_text> ..
- ADOLESCENT MARIJUANA USE IN NATIVE AMERICANSCindy Ehlers; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Epdemiology of Non-Medical Prescription Anagesic UseLi Tzy Wu; Fiscal Year: 2009..Such findings will be vital to policy makers in predicting the potential burden of NMPAU-related problems. ..
- Pharmacogenetics, Emotional Reactivity & SmokingPaul Cinciripini; Fiscal Year: 2009..Ultimately this knowledge may be applied to the development of more effective smoking cessation treatments, especially in the area of pharmacogenetics. ..
- Neurobehavioral Consequences of Adolescent AlcoholCindy Ehlers; Fiscal Year: 2008..AIM 3: To investigate the neurochemical substrates underlying the lasting neurobehavioral consequences of adolescent ethanol exposure, with a focus on NMDA systems ..
- Development and Efficacy Test of Computerized Treatment for Marijuana DependenceALAN JEFFREY BUDNEY; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Reducing Cocaine/Heroin Abuse with SR-Amphetamine and BuprenorphineMark Greenwald; Fiscal Year: 2009..The innovative aims, rigorous methods and clinical/public health significance of this project (i.e. whether SR-AMP has potential efficacy for reducing cocaine use) is highly concordant with this RFA. ..
- Human Laboratory Model of Cocaine Treatment: Behavioral Economic AnalysisMark K Greenwald; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Sex-Specific Pathways Linking Stress and Drug AbuseRajita Sinha; Fiscal Year: 2008..Such an understanding will have important implications for the development of gender-specific treatments for cocaine dependence that will ultimately improve the health of cocaine-addicted women and their families. ..
- A Mood Management Intervention for Pregnant SmokersPaul Cinciripini; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will also evaluate the extent of smoking reduction (cigarettes smoked/cotinine) among women who fail to quit, as a function of treatment, depression history, and current depression. ..
- SCHEDULED SMOKING WITH TRANSDERMAL NICOTINEPaul Cinciripini; Fiscal Year: 2001..We hypothesize that smokers receiving the combined treatment (SSNP) will be abstinent more often, and show greater changes in coping and other behaviors, than smokers in either the SS or NP groups. ..
- TREATMENT FOR ALCHOLISM: A PRIMATE MODELKELLY COSGROVE; Fiscal Year: 2002..Thus, the effects of bremazocine and naltrexone on ethanol self-administration as a function of sex will be investigated. ..
- Treatment Utilization for Alcohol-Related ProblemsLi Tzy Wu; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- ALCOHOL DEPENDENCE--GENERAL POPULATION VALIDITYDeborah Hasin; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- TRAINING IN FUNCTIONAL IMAGING AND ALCOHOL WITHDRAWALDONALD MYRICK; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Panic and Smoking CessationMichael Zvolensky; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Pharmacotherapy for Minor DepressionRobert Howland; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results of this study will have profound public health implications by improving our understanding of the efficacy of SJW and standard antidepressants for the treatment of MinorD. ..
- Excessive Alcohol Intake Induced By WithdrawalDeborah Finn; Fiscal Year: 2005..Not only will this information help in furthering our understanding of the interaction between ethanol intake and withdrawal, but it also would aid in the development of new strategies for the treatment of alcoholism. ..
- Smoking Cessation for Head and Neck Cancer PatientsRobert Schnoll; Fiscal Year: 2006..In turn, our findings may help guide the implementation of smoking cessation treatments for all cancer patients within Comprehensive Cancer Centers in the US. ..
- CLINICAL SIGNIFICANCE OF MARIJUANA WITHDRAWALAlan Budney; Fiscal Year: 2006..This information will also help decide whether pharmacological treatments for marijuana dependence focused on relieving withdrawal should be pursued. ..
- EPIDEMIOLOGIC STUDIES OF ALCOHOL USE DISORDERSDeborah Hasin; Fiscal Year: 2002..If received, the ISA will enable Dr. Hasin to focus on her research, on developing new skills and knowledge, and contributing to an understanding of alcohol use disorders. ..
- Smoking and Panic VulnerabilityMichael Zvolensky; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Measuring the Aversive Effects of Alcohol WithdrawalJULIA CHESTER; Fiscal Year: 2006..Studies using this place conditioning technique are likely to provide important information that will lead to the development of novel behavioral and pharmacological treatments for alcoholism. ..
- RISK FACTORS FOR ALCOHOLISM IN NATIVE AMERICANSCindy Ehlers; Fiscal Year: 2006..The identification of such variables may potentially be useful in the development of specific prevention and treatment programs for this population as well as other Native American tribes. ..
- Alcoholism risk and protective factors in TrinidadCindy Ehlers; Fiscal Year: 2006..Study findings can be compared to similar studies being conducted in the US. We believe these studies will allow for the identification of risk and protective factors for alcoholism in these islands. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Neuropeptide-based therapies for nicotine dependenceADRIAAN BRUIJNZEEL; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Inhalant Use/Dependence: Incidence and ComorbidityLi Tzy Wu; Fiscal Year: 2005..Gaps in our knowledge of the natural course of inhalant use will be specified for future research. ..
- PRISM--COMORBIDITY DIAGNOSIS FOR DRUG ABUSE TREATMENTDeborah Hasin; Fiscal Year: 2001..The study results will provide empirical evidence that is likely to be useful in formulating DSM-V. ..
- Anxiety Sensitivity and SmokingMichael Zvolensky; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Lofexidine to Prevent Stress-Related Opiate RelapseRajita Sinha; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Role of CRF in the affective symptoms of acute and protracted ethanol withdrawalADRIAAN BRUIJNZEEL; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Hemodynamic and Cognitive Function in Cardiovascular DiseaseLawrence H Sweet; Fiscal Year: 2011..Findings are expected to provide data and methods that will increase the clinical utility of FMRI for the assessment of CVD patients, and a better understanding of the mechanisms causing cognitive impairment. ..
- Third International Workshop on Seizure Prediction - Freiburg, Germany, 2007Hitten Zaveri; Fiscal Year: 2007..Investigators whose participation will be supported will be invited speakers and junior and senior investigators including women and racial and ethnic minorities. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Literacy and Smoking Risk CommunicationsJENNIFER VIDRINE; Fiscal Year: 2009..Moreover, findings will be directly relevant to translation of the basic behavioral science underlying smoking risk communications into enhanced smoking cessation treatment approaches. ..
- Genetics, Brain Activity, and Relapse to AlcoholismKirk Brower; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Health Communications and Risk Processing Among SmokersJENNIFER VIDRINE; Fiscal Year: 2006..Findings have the potential to shed light on important mechanisms that may influence the construction of risk perceptions and on how perceptions of risk and smoking behavior may be reciprocally related. ..
- A Controlled Trial of N-Acetylcysteine (NAC) in Cannabis Dependent AdolescentsKevin M Gray; Fiscal Year: 2010..Thus, the proposed study will investigate N-Acetylcysteine (NAC), combined with an evidence-based treatment (Contingency Management), to help adolescents quit using marijuana. ..