Genomes and Genes
Summary: A diuretic and renal diagnostic aid related to sorbitol. It has little significant energy value as it is largely eliminated from the body before any metabolism can take place. It can be used to treat oliguria associated with kidney failure or other manifestations of inadequate renal function and has been used for determination of glomerular filtration rate. Mannitol is also commonly used as a research tool in cell biological studies, usually to control osmolarity.
Publications276 found, 100 shown here
- Phase 1 trial of malaria transmission blocking vaccine candidates Pfs25 and Pvs25 formulated with montanide ISA 51Yimin Wu
Malaria Vaccine Development Branch, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, Rockville, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS ONE 3:e2636. 2008..This single blinded, dose escalating, controlled Phase 1 study assessed the safety and immunogenicity of recombinant Pfs25 and Pvs25 formulated with Montanide ISA 51, a water-in-oil emulsion...
- Global gene expression analysis of transgenic, mannitol-producing, and salt-tolerant Arabidopsis thaliana indicates widespread changes in abiotic and biotic stress-related genesZhulong Chan
Wuhan Botanical Garden, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Wuhan 430074, PR China
J Exp Bot 62:4787-803. 2011b>Mannitol is a putative osmoprotectant contributing to salt tolerance in several species...
- Convection-enhanced delivery and systemic mannitol increase gene product distribution of AAV vectors 5, 8, and 9 and increase gene product in the adult mouse brainNikisha Carty
Byrd Alzheimer s Institute and Department of Molecular Pharmacology and Physiology, University of South Florida College of Medicine, Tampa, FL 33613, USA
J Neurosci Methods 194:144-53. 2010..Systemic mannitol administration, which reduces intracranial pressure, also further expanded distribution of GFP expression, in ..
- Salt-regulated mannitol metabolism in algaeKoji Iwamoto
Functional Biosciences, Graduate School of Life and Environmental Sciences, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8572, Japan
Mar Biotechnol (NY) 7:407-15. 2005b>Mannitol, one of the most widely occurring sugar alcohol compounds, is found in bacteria, fungi, algae, and plants...
- Mannitol is required for stress tolerance in Aspergillus niger conidiosporesGeorge J G Ruijter
Section of Molecular Genetics of Industrial Microorganisms, Wageningen University, 6703HA Wageningen, The Netherlands
Eukaryot Cell 2:690-8. 2003D-Mannitol is the predominant carbon compound in conidiospores of the filamentous fungus Aspergillus niger and makes up 10 to 15% of the dry weight...
- A comparison of 3% hypertonic saline and mannitol for brain relaxation during elective supratentorial brain tumor surgeryChing Tang Wu
Department of Anesthesiology, Tri Service General Hospital, National Defense Medical Center, 325 Section 2, Chenggung Rd, Neihu 114, Taipei, Taiwan
Anesth Analg 110:903-7. 2010In this study, we compared the effects of 3% hypertonic saline (HTS) and 20% mannitol on brain relaxation during supratentorial brain tumor surgery, intensive care unit (ICU) stays, and hospital days.
- The crystallographic structure of the mannitol 2-dehydrogenase NADP+ binary complex from Agaricus bisporusS Hörer
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Berne, Freiestrasse 3, 3012 Berne, Switzerland
J Biol Chem 276:27555-61. 2001b>Mannitol, an acyclic six-carbon polyol, is one of the most abundant sugar alcohols occurring in nature...
- Systemic mannitol-induced hyperosmolality amplifies rAAV2-mediated striatal transduction to a greater extent than local co-infusionCorinna Burger
Department of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology, McKnight Brain Institute, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Mol Ther 11:327-31. 2005..In the present study, we reexamined the effects of both local and systemic administration of mannitol-induced hyperosmolality on facilitation of transgene expression and vector distribution in the CNS...
- The safety and efficacy of inhaled dry powder mannitol as a bronchial provocation test for airway hyperresponsiveness: a phase 3 comparison study with hypertonic (4.5%) salineJohn D Brannan
Department of Respiratory Medicine, 11 West, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Camperdown NSW 2050, Australia
Respir Res 6:144. 2005Inhaled mannitol is a new bronchial provocation test (BPT) developed to improve portability and standardisation of osmotic challenge testing...
- Effects of contrast media and mannitol on renal medullary blood flow and red cell aggregation in the rat kidneyP Liss
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
Kidney Int 49:1268-75. 1996..In this study the effect of intravenous injection of contrast media and mannitol on red blood cell velocity (VRBC) and red blood cell aggregation in renal medullary vessels was studied in 58 ..
- Chitosan nanoparticles are compatible with respiratory epithelial cells in vitroAna Grenha
University of Santiago de Compostela, Department of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Technology, Faculty of Pharmacy, 15782 Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Eur J Pharm Sci 31:73-84. 2007..was to evaluate the biocompatibility of novel respirable powder formulations of nanoparticles (NP) entrapped in mannitol microspheres using human respiratory epithelial cell lines...
- Proof of principle: hydration by low-osmolar mannitol-glucose solution alleviates undesirable renal effects of an iso-osmolar contrast medium in ratsErdmann Seeliger
Institute of Physiology, Center for Cardiovascular Research, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, CCM, Berlin, Germany
Invest Radiol 47:240-6. 2012..Osmodiuretics have a stronger diuretic effect than saline, yet previous trials indicate that osmodiuretic mannitol tends to promote rather than to prevent CM-induced acute kidney injury...
- Hypertonic saline versus mannitol for the treatment of elevated intracranial pressure: a meta-analysis of randomized clinical trialsHooman Kamel
Department of Neurology, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Crit Care Med 39:554-9. 2011Randomized trials have suggested that hypertonic saline solutions may be superior to mannitol for the treatment of elevated intracranial pressure, but their impact on clinical practice has been limited, partly by their small size...
- Inflammatory subtypes in asthma are related to airway hyperresponsiveness to mannitol and exhaled NOCeleste Porsbjerg
Respiratory and Allergy Research Unit, Bispebjerg Hospital, University Hospital of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, NV, Denmark
J Asthma 46:606-12. 2009..adult non-smoking asthmatics, (18-65 yr) not taking inhaled steroids, sputum induction, bronchial challenge with mannitol and measurement of exhaled NO (eNO) were performed...
- Recent advances in the biological production of mannitolSeung Hoon Song
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824 4320, USA
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 84:55-62. 2009b>Mannitol is a fructose-derived, 6-carbon sugar alcohol that is widely found in bacteria, yeasts, fungi, and plants...
- Constitutive expression of a celery mannitol dehydrogenase in tobacco enhances resistance to the mannitol-secreting fungal pathogen Alternaria alternataDianne B Jennings
Department of Horticultural Science, North Carolina State University, Raleigh NC 27695, USA
Plant J 32:41-9. 2002Our previous observation that host plant extracts induce production and secretion of mannitol in the tobacco pathogen Alternaria alternata suggested that, like their animal counterparts, plant pathogenic fungi might produce the reactive ..
- Comprehensive expression profiling analysis of OsIAA gene family in developmental processes and in response to phytohormone and stress treatmentsYaling Song
National Key Laboratory of Crop Genetic Improvement, Huazhong Agricultural University, 430070, Wuhan, China
Planta 229:577-91. 2009..plant growth and auxin distribution was further confirmed with the root growth of DR5-GUS transgenic rice under mannitol treatment, in which a close association between mannitol-induced changes of auxin distribution and root growth ..
- Decoding the mannitol enigma in filamentous fungiPeter S Solomon
Australian Centre for Necrotrophic Fungal Pathogens, SABC, Division of Health Sciences, Murdoch University, Perth, WA 6150, Australia
Trends Microbiol 15:257-62. 2007b>Mannitol is a 6-carbon polyol that is among the most abundant biochemical compounds in the biosphere...
- Tolerance of mannitol-accumulating transgenic wheat to water stress and salinityTilahun Abebe
Department of Plant and Soil Sciences, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater 74078, USA
Plant Physiol 131:1748-55. 2003Previous work with model transgenic plants has demonstrated that cellular accumulation of mannitol can alleviate abiotic stress...
- Phase 1 safety and immunogenicity trial of the Plasmodium falciparum blood-stage malaria vaccine AMA1-C1/ISA 720 in Australian adultsMark A Pierce
Malaria Vaccine Development Branch MVDB, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease, National Institutes of Health NIAID NIH, Rockville, MD 20852, United States
Vaccine 28:2236-42. 2010..AMA1-C1 formulated in ISA 720 is immunogenic in malaria-naïve Australian adults. It is reasonably tolerated, though some transient, severe, and late local reactions are seen...
- Osmotic opening of the blood-brain barrier: principles, mechanism, and therapeutic applicationsS I Rapoport
Section on Brain Physiology and Metabolism, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Cell Mol Neurobiol 20:217-30. 20001. Osmotic opening of the blood-brain barrier by intracarotid infusion of a hypertonic arabinose or mannitol solution is mediated by vasodilatation and shrinkage of cerebrovascular endothelial cells, with widening of the interendothelial ..
- Immunogenicity and protective efficacy of recombinant vaccine based on the receptor-binding domain of the Plasmodium vivax Duffy binding protein in Aotus monkeysMyriam Arevalo-Herrera
Institute of Immunology, Universidad del Valle, Cali, Colombia
Am J Trop Med Hyg 73:25-31. 2005..Given the immunogenicity and partial protection observed, further studies are needed to optimize the PvRII vaccine formulation with adjuvants suitable for human use...
- Preventing renal failure in patients with rhabdomyolysis: do bicarbonate and mannitol make a difference?Carlos V R Brown
Department of Surgery, Division of Trauma and Critical Care, University of Southern California and the Los Angeles County Medical Center, Los Angeles, California, USA
J Trauma 56:1191-6. 2004The combination of bicarbonate and mannitol (BIC/MAN) is commonly used to prevent renal failure (RF) in patients with rhabdomyolysis despite the absence of sufficient evidence validating its use...
- Brain swelling and mannitol therapy in adult cerebral malaria: a randomized trialSanjib Mohanty
Depatment of Medicine and Radiology, Ispat General Hospital, Rourkela, Orissa, India
Clin Infect Dis 53:349-55. 2011Coma is a frequent presentation of severe malaria in adults and an important cause of death. The role of cerebral swelling in its pathogenesis, and the possible benefit of intravenous mannitol therapy to treat this, is uncertain.
- Effect of equiosmolar solutions of mannitol versus hypertonic saline on intraoperative brain relaxation and electrolyte balanceIrene Rozet
Department of Anesthesiology, Harborview Medical Center, University of Washington, Seattle 98104, USA
Anesthesiology 107:697-704. 2007The purpose of the study was to compare the effect of equiosmolar solutions of mannitol and hypertonic saline (HS) on brain relaxation and electrolyte balance.
- Guidelines for the management of severe traumatic brain injury. II. Hyperosmolar therapySusan L Bratton
J Neurotrauma 24:S14-20. 2007
- Mannitol facilitates neurotrophic factor up-regulation and behavioural recovery in neonatal hypoxic-ischaemic rats with human umbilical cord blood graftsT Yasuhara
Department of Neurology, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA, USA
J Cell Mol Med 14:914-21. 2010We recently demonstrated that blood-brain barrier permeabilization using mannitol enhances the therapeutic efficacy of systemically administered human umbilical cord blood (HUCB) by facilitating the entry of neurotrophic factors from the ..
- Provocative challenges to help diagnose and monitor asthma: exercise, methacholine, adenosine, and mannitolSandra D Anderson
Department of Respiratory and Sleep Medicine, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Camperdown, New South Wales, Australia
Curr Opin Pulm Med 14:39-45. 2008..To review bronchial provocations tests used in the measurement of bronchial hyperresponsiveness to help in the diagnosis of asthma...
- Intravenous mannitol does not increase blood-brain barrier permeability to inert dyes in the adult rat forebrainKuen Bao Chen
Graduate Institute of Clinical Medical Science, China Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan
Neuroreport 24:303-7. 2013Intravenous mannitol (IV-M) is widely administered in the clinic to lower intracranial pressure in patients with brain trauma and stroke...
- A comparison of two doses of mannitol on brain relaxation during supratentorial brain tumor craniotomy: a randomized trialCharlotte Quentin
Department of Anesthesiology, Montreal University Medical Centre, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Anesth Analg 116:862-8. 2013Twenty percent mannitol is widely used to reduce brain bulk and facilitate the surgical approach in intracranial surgery. However, a dose-response relationship has not yet been established. In this study, we compared the effects of 0...
- Pooled analysis of two large randomised phase III inhaled mannitol studies in cystic fibrosisDiana Bilton
Royal Brompton Hospital, London, United Kingdom
J Cyst Fibros 12:367-76. 2013To evaluate safety and efficacy of inhaled mannitol treatment in subgroups of a large global CF population.
- Production of erythritol and mannitol by Yarrowia lipolytica yeast in media containing glycerolLudwika Tomaszewska
Department of Biotechnology and Food Microbiology, Wrocław University of Environmental and Life Sciences, Chełmońskiego 37 41, 51 630 Wrocław, Poland
J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol 39:1333-43. 2012..This study presents an alternative means of crude glycerol valorization through the production of erythritol and mannitol. In a shake-flasks experiment in a buffered medium, nine Yarrowia lipolytica strains were examined for polyols ..
- The effects of loperamide, or loperamide plus simethicone, on the distribution of gut water as assessed by MRI in a mannitol model of secretory diarrhoeaE Placidi
Sir Peter Mansfield Magnetic Resonance Centre, University of Nottingham, UK
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 36:64-73. 2012..Novel MRI techniques to assess small bowel water content (SBWC) have shown that mannitol solutions markedly increase SBWC and can be used as a model of diarrhoea.
- Mannitol-facilitated perfusion staining with 2,3,5-triphenyltetrazolium chloride (TTC) for detection of experimental cerebral infarction and biochemical analysisYu Yo Sun
Division of Developmental Biology, Division of Neurology, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH 45229, United States
J Neurosci Methods 203:122-9. 2012..Here we report an in vivo TTC perfusion-labeling method based on osmotic opening of blood-brain-barrier with mannitol-pretreatment...
- CpG oligodeoxynucleotide and montanide ISA 206 adjuvant combination augments the immune responses of a recombinant FMDV vaccine in cattleJiling Ren
Department of Immunology, Norman Bethune College of Medicine, Jilin University, Changchun 130021, China
Vaccine 29:7960-5. 2011..These findings suggest that CpG ODN RW03 could be used with Montanide ISA 206 as a potent adjuvant for recombinant FMDV in cattle...
- High yields of 2,3-butanediol and mannitol in Lactococcus lactis through engineering of NAD⁺ cofactor recyclingPaula Gaspar
Instituto de Tecnologia Quimica e Biologica, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Av Republica EAN, 2780 157 Oeiras, Portugal
Appl Environ Microbiol 77:6826-35. 2011..The three lactate dehydrogenase-deficient mutants were selected as a background for the production of mannitol and 2,3-butanediol...
- Cloning and characterization of NADP-mannitol dehydrogenase cDNA from the button mushroom, Agaricus bisporus, and its expression in response to NaCl stressJ M Stoop
Department of Industrial Agrobiotechnology, Agrotechnological Research Institute, NL 6700 AA Wageningen, The Netherlands
Appl Environ Microbiol 64:4689-96. 1998b>Mannitol, a six-carbon sugar alcohol, is the main storage carbon in the button mushroom, Agaricus bisporus. Given the physiological importance of mannitol metabolism in growth, fruit body development, and salt tolerance of A...
- Hydrogen-rich medium protects human skin fibroblasts from high glucose or mannitol induced oxidative damagePan Yu
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Southwest Hospital, Third Military Medical University, Chongqing 400038, China
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 409:350-5. 2011..The results revealed that both mannitol and high glucose could cause oxidative stress in HSFs...
- Mannitol opening of the blood-brain barrier: regional variation in the permeability of sucrose, but not 86Rb+ or albuminRachel C Brown
Department of Pharmacology, The University of Arizona, College of Medicine, PO Box 24 5050, 1501 N Campbell Ave, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
Brain Res 1014:221-7. 2004..86Rb+ and [14C]sucrose had increased permeability 20 min after BBB disruption with 1.6 M mannitol. There was no change in Evans blue albumin permeability...
- Overexpression of AtHsp90.2, AtHsp90.5 and AtHsp90.7 in Arabidopsis thaliana enhances plant sensitivity to salt and drought stressesHongmiao Song
Key Laboratory of Photosynthesis and Environmental Molecular Physiology, Institute of Botany, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 100093, Beijing, China
Planta 229:955-64. 2009....
- The effect of mannitol on renal function after cardiopulmonary bypass in patients with established renal dysfunctionM N A Smith
Department of Anaesthesia, Wessex Cardiothoracic Centre, South Hampton General Hospital, Southampton, UK
Anaesthesia 63:701-4. 2008The usefulness of mannitol in the priming fluid for cardiopulmonary bypass is uncertain in patients with normal renal function, and has not been studied in patients with established renal dysfunction...
- Spatial and developmental differentiation of mannitol dehydrogenase and mannitol-1-phosphate dehydrogenase in Aspergillus nigerGuillermo Aguilar-Osorio
Fungal Physiology, CBS KNAW Fungal Biodiversity Centre, Uppsalalaan 8, 3584 CT Utrecht, The Netherlands
Eukaryot Cell 9:1398-402. 2010The presence of a mannitol cycle in fungi has been subject to discussion for many years. Recent studies have found no evidence for the presence of this cycle and its putative role in regenerating NADPH...
- Combined injection of rAAV with mannitol enhances gene expression in the rat brainM Y Mastakov
Functional Genomics and Translational Neuroscience Laboratory, Division of Molecular Medicine, Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Mol Ther 3:225-32. 2001..Moreover, we evaluated the effect of local administration of mannitol to further enhance transgene expression and vector spread. Ultraslow microperfusion of rAAV, i.e...
- The effect of phlebotomy and mannitol on acute renal injury induced by ischemia/reperfusion of lower limbs in ratsIbrahim Goksin
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, School of Medicine, Pamukkale University, Denizli, Turkey
Ann Vasc Surg 25:1118-28. 2011..Venous blood volume exclusion from the inferior vena cava (phlebotomy) or/and mannitol are used as a treatment for I/R injury of kidney in humans, despite the fact that the effectiveness of these ..
- Mannitol is required for asexual sporulation in the wheat pathogen Stagonospora nodorum (glume blotch)Peter S Solomon
Australian Centre for Necrotrophic Fungal Pathogens, SABC, Division of Health Sciences, Murdoch University, Perth 6150, WA, Australia
Biochem J 399:231-9. 2006The physiological role of the mannitol cycle in the wheat pathogen Stagonospora nodorum (glume blotch) has been investigated by reverse genetics and metabolite profiling...
- Long-term inhaled dry powder mannitol in cystic fibrosis: an international randomized studyMoira L Aitken
University of Washington Medical Center, Seattle, WA 98195 6522, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 185:645-52. 2012..New treatment strategies are needed to improve airway clearance and reduce the morbidity and the time burden associated with cystic fibrosis (CF)...
- Lactulose/mannitol test and specificity, sensitivity, and area under curve of intestinal permeability parameters in patients with liver cirrhosis and Crohn's diseaseMilan Dastych
Department of Clinical Biochemistry and Hematology, University Hospital Brno, Jihlavska 20, 62500, Brno, Czech Republic
Dig Dis Sci 53:2789-92. 2008..study was to investigate and compare the specificity, sensitivity, and area under curve (AUC) of the lactulose/mannitol ratio, lactulose/creatinine ratio, and lactulose recovery and their diagnostic value for intestinal permeability ..
- Pulmonary preservation with LPD and celsior solution in porcine lung transplantation after 24 h of cold ischemiaSebastian P Sommer
Division of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Hannover Medical School, 30623 Hannover, Germany
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 26:151-7. 2004..The purpose of the study was to compare two extracellular type solutions, low potassium dextrane (LPD) and Celsior in their ability of ameliorating lung ischemia reperfusion injury...
- Montanide™ ISA 71 VG adjuvant enhances antibody and cell-mediated immune responses to profilin subunit antigen vaccination and promotes protection against Eimeria acervulina and Eimeria tenellaSeung I Jang
Animal Parasitic Diseases Laboratory, Animal and Natural Resources Institute, Agricultural Research Service, United States Department of Agriculture, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
Exp Parasitol 127:178-83. 2011..These results demonstrate that the recombinant profilin subunit vaccine, when given in combination with Montanide™ ISA 71 VG, augments protective immunity against E. acervulina and E. tenella...
- Bowel magnetic resonance imaging of pediatric patients with oral mannitol MRI compared to endoscopy and intestinal ultrasoundArne S Borthne
Department of Pediatric Radiology, Ullevaal University Hospital, Kirkeveien 166, 0407, Oslo, Norway
Eur Radiol 16:207-14. 2006..A median volume of 300 ml of mannitol in a 15% [corrected] watery solution were ingested by 43 children prior to examination...
- Dry powder aerosols generated by standardized entrainment tubes from alternative sugar blends: 3. Trehalose dihydrate and D-mannitol carriersHeidi M Mansour
Division of Molecular Pharmaceutics, Eshelman School of Pharmacy, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7360, USA
J Pharm Sci 99:3430-41. 2010..The two carrier sugars, each representing a different sugar class, were D-mannitol and trehalose dihydrate...
- Mannitol dry powder challenge in comparison with exercise testing in childrenJuerg Barben
Division of Paediatric Pulmonology, Children s Hospital, St Gallen, Switzerland
Pediatr Pulmonol 46:842-8. 2011b>Mannitol dry powder (MDP) challenge is an indirect bronchial provocation test, which is well studied in adults but not established for children.
- Airway hyperresponsiveness to methacholine, adenosine 5-monophosphate, mannitol, eucapnic voluntary hyperpnoea and field exercise challenge in elite cross-country skiersMalcolm Sue-Chu
Department of Lung Medicine, St Olavs Hospital, University Hospital of Trondheim, N 7006 Trondheim, Norway
Br J Sports Med 44:827-32. 2010..This study investigated airway responsiveness to these stimuli as well as to adenosine 5'-monophosphate (AMP) and mannitol, in 58 cross-country ski athletes.
- Mannitol-facilitated CNS entry of rAAV2 vector significantly delayed the neurological disease progression in MPS IIIB miceD M McCarty
The Center for Gene Therapy, The Research Institute at Nationwide Children s Hospital, Department of Pediatrics, College of Medicine and Public Health, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43205, USA
Gene Ther 16:1340-52. 2009..Earlier, we showed a global central nervous system (CNS) transduction in mice by mannitol-facilitated entry of intravenous (IV)-delivered recombinant adeno-associated viral serotype 2 (rAAV2) vector...
- Cut-points for response to mannitol challenges using the forced oscillation techniqueMelissa A McClean
Woolcock Institute of Medical Research, Glebe, NSW, Australia
Respir Med 105:533-40. 2011..but the cut-points for changes in respiratory system conductance (Grs) and reactance (Xrs) that define a positive mannitol challenge are not known...
- Mannitol production from glycerol by resting cells of Candida magnoliaeAsiya Khan
Chemical Engineering and Process Development Division, National Chemical Laboratory, Dr Homi Bhabha Road, Pune, Maharashtra, India
Bioresour Technol 100:4911-3. 2009Production of mannitol from glycerol by resting cells of Candida magnoliae under aerobic condition was investigated. The resting cells were suspended in aqueous solution of glycerol in Erlenmeyer flasks and incubated on rotary shaker...
- Injectable and macroporous calcium phosphate cement scaffoldHockin H K Xu
Paffenbarger Research Center, 100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8546, American Dental Association Foundation, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD 20899 8546, USA
Biomaterials 27:4279-87. 2006..Water-soluble mannitol was used as porogen and mixed with CPC at mass fractions from 0% to 50%...
- Reductions in workload and reporting time by use of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus screening with MRSASelect medium compared to mannitol-salt medium supplemented with oxacillinPhilippe R S Lagacé-Wiens
Clinical Microbiology, Saint Boniface General Hospital, Winnipeg, Manitoba R2H 2A6, Canada
J Clin Microbiol 46:1174-7. 2008..33 days for all MRSA screening specimens, 1.97 days for MRSA-positive specimens, and 1.3 days for MRSA-negative specimens compared to standard mannitol-salt agar supplemented with 6 mg of oxacillin/liter.
- Attenuation of mouse mesangial cell contractility by high glucose and mannitol: involvement of protein kinase C and focal adhesion kinaseJin Shuen Chen
Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, National Defense Medical Center, and Department of Internal Medicine, Tri Service General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
J Biomed Sci 11:142-51. 2004Hyperglycemia and mannitol activate protein kinase C (PKC) and induce mesangial cell hypocontractility that subsequently may modulate renal function...
- Cryptococcus neoformans responds to mannitol by increasing capsule size in vitro and in vivoAllan Jefferson Guimarães
Department of Medicine, Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University, Bronx, NY, USA
Cell Microbiol 12:740-53. 2010..In this study, we determined the effects of mannitol and glucose on the capsule and exopolysaccharide production...
- Identification of Staphylococcus aureus: DNase and Mannitol salt agar improve the efficiency of the tube coagulase testDavid P Kateete
Department of Medical Microbiology, School of Biomedical Sciences, Makerere University College of Health Sciences, Upper Mulago hill road, Kampala, Uganda
Ann Clin Microbiol Antimicrob 9:23. 2010..aureus and is routinely done using either human or sheep plasma. This study evaluated Mannitol salt agar and the deoxyribonuclease (DNase) test for improving the efficiency of the tube coagulase test in ..
- Nuclear fusion leads to chromosome doubling during mannitol pretreatment of barley (Hordeum vulgare L.) microsporesK J Kasha
Department of Plant Agriculture, Biotechnology Division, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada N1G 2W1
J Exp Bot 52:1227-38. 2001..3 M mannitol pretreatment of anthers at 25 degrees C. However, during a 4 d pretreatment in 0...
- Overexpression of mtlD gene in transgenic Populus tomentosa improves salt tolerance through accumulation of mannitolLei Hu
The Tree and Ornamental Plant Breeding and Biotechnology Laboratory of State Forestry Administration, Beijing 100083, P R China
Tree Physiol 25:1273-81. 2005The mtlD gene encoding mannitol-1-phosphate dehydrogenase, which catalyzes the biosynthesis of mannitol from fructose, was cloned from Escherichia coli and transferred to poplar (Populus tomentosa Carr...
- Metabolic engineering of Escherichia coli: construction of an efficient biocatalyst for D-mannitol formation in a whole-cell biotransformationB Kaup
Institut für Biotechnologie 1, Forschungszentrum Julich GmbH, 52425 Julich, Germany
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 64:333-9. 2004A whole-cell biotransformation system for the conversion of d-fructose to d-mannitol was developed in Escherichia coli by constructing a recombinant oxidation/reduction cycle...
- Saline, mannitol, and furosemide hydration in acute cisplatin nephrotoxicity: a randomized trialJoseph T Santoso
University of Tennessee Cancer Institute, Memphis 38104, USA
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 52:13-8. 2003To determine which hydration (saline, saline + mannitol, or saline + furosemide) is associated with least cisplatin nephrotoxicity.
- Safety and immunogenicity of a three-component blood-stage malaria vaccine in adults living in an endemic area of Papua New GuineaB Genton
Papua New Guinea Institute of Medical Research, Goroka and Maprik, Papua New Guinea
Vaccine 18:2504-11. 2000..The vaccine induced good cellular responses, especially for MSP1 and RESA. Boosting of humoral responses was weak, probably because of high baseline antibody levels...
- Possible roles for mannitol and mannitol dehydrogenase in the biotrophic plant pathogen Uromyces fabaeRalf T Voegele
Phytopathologie, Fachbereich Biologie, Universitat Konstanz, 78457 Konstanz, Germany
Plant Physiol 137:190-8. 2005Levels of the C6-polyol mannitol were observed to rise dramatically in the biotrophic interaction of the rust fungus Uromyces fabae and its host plant Vicia faba...
- Vaccination with NY-ESO-1 protein and CpG in Montanide induces integrated antibody/Th1 responses and CD8 T cells through cross-primingDanila Valmori
Ludwig Institute Clinical Trial Center, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:8947-52. 2007....
- Mannitol as adjunct therapy for childhood cerebral malaria in Uganda: a randomized clinical trialBeatrice Namutangula
Department of Paediatrics and Child Health, Makerere University Medical School, P O Box 7072 Kampala Uganda
Malar J 6:138. 2007..b>Mannitol, an osmotic diuretic, effectively lowers ICP and is used to treat post-traumatic raised ICP...
- Inhaled dry powder mannitol in cystic fibrosis: an efficacy and safety studyD Bilton
Royal Brompton Hospital, London, SW3 6NP, UK
Eur Respir J 38:1071-80. 2011This international phase III study of inhaled dry powder mannitol was a randomised, double-blind, 26-week study, followed by a further 26-week, open-label (OL) extension...
- Phase I safety and immunogenicity trial of Plasmodium vivax CS derived long synthetic peptides adjuvanted with montanide ISA 720 or montanide ISA 51Socrates Herrera
Instituto de Inmunologia, Facultad de Salud, Universidad del Valle, Cali, Colombia
Am J Trop Med Hyg 84:12-20. 2011..Vaccines in Montanide ISA 51 showed a higher sporozoite protein recognition and interferon production. Results encourage further testing of the vaccine protective efficacy...
- The application of solid dispersion technique with D-mannitol to the improvement in oral absorption of triamtereneM J Arias
Departamento de Farmacia y Tecnologia Farmaceutica, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad de Sevilla, Spain
J Drug Target 2:45-51. 1994..This method involves preparation by the melting carrier method using D-mannitol as matrix. These systems were subjected to USP XXII dissolution rate determination...
- Effect of particle size of dry powder mannitol on the lung deposition in healthy volunteersWilliam Glover
Advanced Drug Delivery Group, Faculty of Pharmacy, The University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
Int J Pharm 349:314-22. 2008..We investigated the dose and distribution of radiolabelled powder aerosols of mannitol in the lungs using single photon emission tomography (SPECT)...
- Hypertonic preconditioning inhibits macrophage responsiveness to endotoxinJoseph Cuschieri
Department of Surgery, University of Washington, 325 Ninth Avenue, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
J Immunol 168:1389-96. 2002..Selected cells were preconditioned with 40-100 mM of NaCl, mannitol, or urea for 4 h and returned to isotonic medium before LPS stimulation...
- Biotechnological production of mannitol and its applicationsBadal C Saha
Bioenergy Research Unit, National Center for Agricultural Utilization Research, Agricultural Research Service, United States Department of Agriculture, Peoria, IL 61604, USA
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 89:879-91. 2011b>Mannitol, a naturally occurring polyol (sugar alcohol), is widely used in the food, pharmaceutical, medical, and chemical industries...
- Salicylic acid stimulates secretion of the normally symplastic enzyme mannitol dehydrogenase: a possible defense against mannitol-secreting fungal pathogensFang yi Cheng
Department of Horticultural Science, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC 27695 7609, USA
Planta 230:1093-103. 2009The sugar alcohol mannitol is an important carbohydrate with well-documented roles in both metabolism and osmoprotection in many plants and fungi...
- Furosemide and mannitol suppression of epileptic activity in the human brainMichael M Haglund
Department of Surgery Neurosurgery and Neurobiology, Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Neurophysiol 94:907-18. 2005..intravenous injection containing either 20 mg furosemide (a cation-chloride cotransporter antagonist) or 50 g mannitol (an osmolyte)...
- Adjuvant activity of polymer microparticles and Montanide ISA 720 on immune responses to Plasmodium falciparum MSP2 long synthetic peptides in miceE Mata
Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Technology Laboratory, Pharmacy Faculty, University of the Basque Country UPV EHU, Paseo de la Universidad 7, 01006 Vitoria Gasteiz, Spain
Vaccine 25:877-85. 2007..Our results demonstrate the ability of the polymer microparticles to overcome the lack of immunogenicity of FC27 MSP2 peptide in C57BL mice and their potential to induce desirable immune responses against malaria...
- Inhaled mannitol improves lung function in cystic fibrosisAnna Jaques
Department of Clinical Research, Pharmaxis Ltd, Frenchs Forest, NSW, Australia
Chest 133:1388-96. 2008..The clearance of mucus is an integral component of daily therapy. Inhaled mannitol is an osmotic agent that increases the water content of the airway surface liquid, and improves the clearance of ..
- Budesonide reduces sensitivity and reactivity to inhaled mannitol in asthmatic subjectsJohn D Brannan
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Camperdown, NSW, Australia
Respirology 7:37-44. 2002The aim of the study was to investigate whether treatment using inhaled corticosteroids decreases airway responsiveness to inhaled mannitol in asthmatic subjects.
- Mannitol metabolism in the phytopathogenic fungus Alternaria alternataHeriberto Vélëz
Department of Plant Pathology, NC State University, Raleigh, NC 27695, USA
Fungal Genet Biol 44:258-68. 2007b>Mannitol metabolism in fungi is thought to occur through a mannitol cycle first described in 1978. In this cycle, mannitol 1-phosphate 5-dehydrogenase (EC 1.1.1...
- The use of 23.4% hypertonic saline for the management of elevated intracranial pressure in patients with severe traumatic brain injury: a pilot studyAndrew J Kerwin
Department of Surgery, University of Florida Health Science Center, Jacksonville, Florida 32209, USA
J Trauma 67:277-82. 2009Oncotic agents are a therapeutic mainstay for the management of intracranial hypertension. Both mannitol and varied concentrations of hypertonic saline (HTS) have been shown to be effective at reducing elevated intracranial pressure (ICP)...
- Changes induced by hyperosmotic mannitol in cerebral endothelial cells: an atomic force microscopic studyZoltan Balint
Institute of Biophysics, Biological Research Center of Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Temesvari krt 62, Szeged 6726, Hungary
Eur Biophys J 36:113-20. 2007..b>Mannitol, a cell-impermeable non-toxic alcohol, has been used successfully for reversible opening of the blood-brain ..
- Red blood cell aging markers during storage in citrate-phosphate-dextrose-saline-adenine-glucose-mannitolMarianna H Antonelou
Department of Cell Biology and Biophysics, Faculty of Biology, University of Athens, Panepistimiopolis, Athens, Greece
Transfusion 50:376-89. 2010..It has been suggested that red blood cell (RBC) senescence is accelerated under blood bank conditions, although neither protein profile of RBC aging nor the impact of additive solutions on it have been studied in detail...
- Aldose reductase induced by hyperosmotic stress mediates cardiomyocyte apoptosis: differential effects of sorbitol and mannitolAnita S Galvez
Departamento de Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular, Facultad de Ciencias Quimicas y Farmaceuticas, Universidad de Chile, Santiago 6640750, Chile
J Biol Chem 278:38484-94. 2003..stress, elicited by exposure of cultured rat cardiac myocytes to the nonpermeant solutes sorbitol and mannitol, caused identical cell shrinkage and adaptive hexose uptake stimulation...
- Potassium sparing diuretics as adjunct to mannitol therapy in neurocritical care patients with cerebral edema: effects on potassium homeostasis and cardiac arrhythmiasFederico Bilotta
Department of Anesthesiology, Critical Care and Pain Medicine, Sapienza University Rome, Viale Acherusio 16, 00199 Rome, Italy
Neurocrit Care 16:280-5. 2012b>Mannitol therapy to treat cerebral edema induces osmotic diuresis and electrolyte loss. In neurocritical care patients, potassium is the electrolyte that most often needs replacement...
- A blood-brain barrier (BBB) disrupter is also a potent Î±-synuclein (Î±-syn) aggregation inhibitor: a novel dual mechanism of mannitol for the treatment of Parkinson disease (PD)Ronit Shaltiel-Karyo
Department of Molecular Microbiology and Biotechnology, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv 69978, Israel
J Biol Chem 288:17579-88. 2013..Here, we examined the ability of mannitol to interfere with the aggregation process of Î±-synuclein in vitro and in vivo in addition to its blood-brain ..
- Improvement of mannitol lysine crystal violet brilliant green agar for the selective isolation of H2S-positive SalmonellaH Kodaka
Research Department, Nissui Diagnostics, Yuki, Ibaraki, Japan
J Food Prot 63:1643-7. 2000b>Mannitol lysine crystal violet brilliant green agar (MLCB) is widely used in Japan for Salmonella isolation because the medium has been commercially available...
- Improvement of pulmonary preservation with Celsior and Perfadex: impact of storage time on early post-ischemic lung functionT Wittwer
Department of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery, Hannover Medical School, Germany
J Heart Lung Transplant 18:1198-201. 1999..Optimal preservation of post-ischemic organ function is a continuing challenge in clinical lung transplantation...
- A short period of mannitol stress but not LiCl stress led to global translational repression in plantsHideyuki Matsuura
Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Osaka University, Suita, Osaka, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 74:2110-2. 2010..In this study, we found that treatment with mannitol, but not lithium stress, led to rapid global translational repression, suggesting that a rapid response at the ..
- Strong and macroporous calcium phosphate cement: Effects of porosity and fiber reinforcement on mechanical propertiesH H Xu
Paffenbarger Research Center, American Dental Association Health Foundation, National Institute of Standards and Technology, 100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8546, Gaithersburg, Maryland 20899, USA
J Biomed Mater Res 57:457-66. 2001..Water-soluble mannitol crystals were incorporated into CPC paste; the set CPC was then immersed in water to dissolve mannitol, producing ..
- Retrograde flush perfusion with low-potassium solutions for improvement of experimental pulmonary preservationT Wittwer
Department of Cardiac Surgery, Thoracic and Vascular Surgery, Friedrich Schiller University, Jena, Germany
J Heart Lung Transplant 19:976-83. 2000..So far, we have seen no experimental studies that include stereologic analysis of intrapulmonary edema concerning the influence of retrograde preservation on post-ischemic lung function after preservation with Perfadex and Celsior...
- Fast-setting calcium phosphate scaffolds with tailored macropore formation rates for bone regenerationHockin H K Xu
Paffenbarger Research Center, American Dental Association Foundation, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, Maryland 20899, USA
J Biomed Mater Res A 68:725-34. 2004..Absorbable fibers and mannitol porogen were incorporated into CPC for strength and macropores for bone ingrowth...
- Mannitol-containing macroporous calcium phosphate cement encapsulating human umbilical cord stem cellsMinghui Tang
Department of Endodontics, Prosthodontics and Operative Dentistry, University of Maryland Dental School, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
J Tissue Eng Regen Med 6:214-24. 2012..The objective of this study was to develop a self-setting, mannitol-containing calcium phosphate cement (CPC) encapsulating human umbilical cord mesenchymal stem cells (hUCMSCs) for ..
- From alcohol dehydrogenase to a "one-way" carbonyl reductase by active-site redesign: a mechanistic study of mannitol 2-dehydrogenase from pseudomonas fluorescensMario Klimacek
Institute of Biotechnology and Biochemical Engineering, Graz University of Technology, Petersgasse 12 I, A 8010 Graz, Austria
J Biol Chem 285:30644-53. 2010..However, the mechanistic basis underpinning this discrimination is weak. In mannitol 2-dehydrogenase from Pseudomonas fluorescens, stabilization of (partial) negative charge on the substrate ..
- Therapeutic effects and mechanisms of action of mannitol during H2O2-induced oxidative stress in human retinal pigment epithelium cellsJorn Hon Liu
Department of Ophthalmology, Cheng Hsin General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Ocul Pharmacol Ther 26:249-57. 2010..Early prevention with antioxidants is mandatory. The aim of this study was to determine whether and how mannitol can act as an antioxidant.
- 2,5-Anhydro-D-mannitol increases hepatocyte sodium: transduction of a hepatic hunger stimulus?Mark I Friedman
Monell Chemical Senses Center, 3500 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1642:53-8. 2003..into a hepatic neuronal signal via a change in sodium pump activity, we examined the effect of 2,5-anhydro-D-mannitol (2,5-AM), which stimulates feeding behavior in rats, on intracellular sodium levels using 23Na nuclear magnetic ..
- Relative effects of mannitol and hypertonic saline on calpain activity, apoptosis and polymorphonuclear infiltration in traumatic focal brain injuryJean F Soustiel
Acute Brain Injury Research Laboratory and B Rappaport Faculty of Medicine, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
Brain Res 1101:136-44. 2006The purpose of this study was to compare the relative effects of mannitol and hypertonic saline (HTS) on calpain activity, apoptosis and neuroinflammatory response induced by experimental cortical contusion...
- Influence of process variable and physicochemical properties on the granulation mechanism of mannitol in a fluid bed top spray granulatorJonathan Bouffard
Department of Chemical Engineering, Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal, P O Box 6079 Stn Centreville, Quebec, Canada
Drug Dev Ind Pharm 31:923-33. 2005..the hydroxypropyl cellulose (HPC) binder solution atomization, on the fluidized bed top spray granulation of mannitol. Special attention was given to the relationship between wetting and the granule growth profile...
- The effect of cardioplegic solution-induced sodium concentration fluctuation on postoperative seizure in pediatric cardiac patientsJin Tae Kim
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Seoul National University Hospital, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Ann Thorac Surg 91:1943-8. 2011..We evaluated the relationship between the cardioplegic solution, the fluctuation of sodium concentration, and the incidence of postoperative seizure in pediatric cardiac patients...
- Purification and characterization of mannitol dehydrogenase and identification of the corresponding cDNA from the head blight fungus, Gibberella zeae (Fusarium graminearum)Frances Trail
Department of Plant Biology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824 1312, USA
Phytochemistry 61:791-6. 2002The mannitol-2-dehydrogenase (MtDH) from Gibberella zeae was purified and the corresponding cDNA identified...
- New insights in mechanisms of renal injuryBalakuntalam S Kasinath; Fiscal Year: 2013..MCT), glomerular epithelial and mesangial cells (GEC) will be incubated with high glucose, or , equimolar mannitol, or, 5 mM glucose for up to 48 hrs. Under these conditions the following studies will be done. A...
- Effect of Lactobacillus GG on gut permeability and microbiome in VLBW neonatesROSE MARIE VISCARDI; Fiscal Year: 2013..aims will address the central hypotheses that 1) increased levels of biomarkers (serum zonulin, Lactulose/Mannitol urine ratio, and/or fecal a-1 anti-trypsin) will identify infants with increased intestinal permeability;and 2) ..
- The human gut microbiome, malnutrition and vaccine responsesANDREW LEON KAU; Fiscal Year: 2013..I will define their gut mucosal barrier function by serum LPS assays, lactulose/mannitol absorption assays, histo- and immunohistochemical assays of gut morphology and immune cell populations (exploring ..
- HIV, ART and the Intestinal MicrobiotaHonorine D Ward; Fiscal Year: 2012..Our group is conducting a study of intestinal mucosal integrity (determined by lactulose:mannitol permeability) in HIV-infected individuals before and after they initiate ART, in rural Tamil Nadu, where rates of ..
- Early Dietary Intervention and Later Signs of Beta-Cell Autoimmunity: Potential MMikael Knip; Fiscal Year: 2012..Intestinal permeability will be assessed with the lactulose/mannitol test at the age of 3, 6, 9, and 12 months...
- Small RNAs and Vibrio cholerae adaptation to different carbon sourcesJANE MAY LIU; Fiscal Year: 2010..data suggests that an sRNA, MtlS, is expressed in a regulated manner and inhibits the expression of mtlA, the mannitol- specific transporter of V. cholerae. The central hypothesis is that V...
- IMPACT OF INTESTINAL DYSFUNCTION ON ANTIRETROVIRAL THERAPY IN INDIARITA CAROLINE ISAAC; Fiscal Year: 2012..in a cohort of HIV infected individuals in India, at the time of initiation of HAART using the tests d-xylose and mannitol:lactulose excretion in the urine following oral administration of these sugars...
- MICRONUTRIENTS AND ENTERIC INFECTION IN AFRICAN CHILDRENMICHAEL BENNISH; Fiscal Year: 2002..4) To determine if micronutrient supplementation improves gut integrity as measured by the mannitol-lactulose permeability test...
- MICRONUTRIENTS AND ENTERIC INFECTION IN AFRICAN CHILDRENSherwood Gorbach; Fiscal Year: 2005..4) To determine if micronutrient supplementation improves gut integrity as measured by the mannitol-lactulose permeability test...
- EFFECTS OF ADRIAMYCIN AND BCNU ON GLUTATHIONEHenry Kaplan; Fiscal Year: 1980..In addition, quenchers of free radicals and singlet oxygen, such as tocopherol, mannitol and carotene will be evaluated, as will superoxide dismutase, N-acetyl cystein and drugs which have been reported ..
- Modulating the BBB to Improve Drug Delivery to the BrainTeruna J Siahaan; Fiscal Year: 2013..We found that an HAV peptide can improve the permeation of mannitol and an anticancer agent (daunomycin) into the brain using the in-situ brain perfusion rat model...
- HYPOTHERMIA DURING INTRACRANIAL ANEURYSM SURGERYMichael Todd; Fiscal Year: 2003..teams utilize some method to protect patients during surgery, including barbiturates, etomidate, steroids, mannitol or varying degrees of hypothermia...
- EXOCYTIC INSERTION OF POTASSIUM CHANNELS IN MEMBRANESWilliam Moran; Fiscal Year: 2001..G proteins, 3) determine the effect of alanine on enterocyte volume; and 4) assess the effect of 10 nM mannitol (control) and 10 mM alanine (treatment) on number of K channels in the apical membrane...
- CONTROL OF CEREBRAL REPERFUSION AFTER CARDIAC ARRESTPeter Safar; Fiscal Year: 1990..In years 3 and 4 we propose to test a cerebral edema reducing therapy (e.g., mannitol i.v.) designed according to the results of years 1 and 2...
- FRUCTOFURANOSE MODULATORS--STRUCTURAL/ENZYMATIC STUDIESEZZAT YOUNATHAN; Fiscal Year: 1992..Interest in this group of compounds was kindled by our discovery of the hypoglycemic effect of 2,5-anhydro-D-mannitol (2,5-AM) in normal and diabetic animals...
- ELECTRON TRANSPORT VARIANTS IN STAPHYLOCOCCAL DISEASERichard Proctor; Fiscal Year: 2001..in liquid medium) and misidentify ETVs because they are atypical (slowly coagulase positive, non-hemolytic, mannitol negative, non-pigmented)...
- Improved Suicide Gene Therapy for Hepatic CancersWilliam Ensminger; Fiscal Year: 2005..In addition, we will enhance regional delivery of virus using vascular manipulations (Aim 3), including osmotic (mannitol), mechanical (microspheres) and hormonal (epinephrine) methods, and pretreatment with focal ionizing radiation...
- IONIC BASIS OF ISCHEMIC CEREBRAL EDEMAWise Young; Fiscal Year: 1992..The effects of systemic furosemide, mannitol, and/or methylprednisolone on extracellular and tissue ionic shifts will be studied in the rat MCAo and cortical ..
- MECHANISMS OF BRAIN DEHYDRATION WITH OSMOTIC DIURETICSStanley Nelson; Fiscal Year: 1980..The effectiveness of glycerol, urea and mannitol will be compared...
- Retinal blood barrier permeability using optical tracersFREDERICK HASELTON; Fiscal Year: 2004..We have obtained preliminary induced by 5 minutes of mannitol infusion. Three aims for further studies are proposed...
- ENZYME &GENE REPLACEMENT IN GM2 GANGLIOSIDOSISMARIO RATTAZZI; Fiscal Year: 1990..Reversible blood-brain barrier permeability will be obtained by hyperosmotic mannitol infusion; the efficiency of enzyme delivery and physiopathologic consequences will be assessed; retrograde axonal ..
- CRYPTOCOCCUS NEOFORMANS--OXIDATIVE KILLING MECHANISMSVishnu Chaturvedi; Fiscal Year: 2001..Also, preliminary observations suggest that a distal neutrophil oxidant is fungicidal and that fungal mannitol may protect from oxidative killing...
- BLOOD PRESSURE AND PROXIMAL TUBULE TRANSPORTFRANKLYN KNOX; Fiscal Year: 2000..lanthranum on Jv, net fluid reabsorption by the proximal tubule will be inhibited by adding an impermeant solute, mannitol, to the luminal fluid...
- MODULATION OF LUNG ENDOTHELIAL PERMEABILITY BY AUTACOIDSFREDERICK HASELTON; Fiscal Year: 1992..three main aims: 1) to measure the in vitro intercellular permeability of the pulmonary endothelial cell layer to mannitol and polyethylene glycol; 2) to characterize the permeability of the pulmonary endothelial cell layer with respect ..
- Estimating Intracellular Lithium in Brain in vivo by 7Li MRSRichard A Komoroski; Fiscal Year: 2010..and extracellular signals by measuring the separate intra- and extracellular 7Li signals after infusion of mannitol to disrupt the blood-brain barrier and a thulium-based compound to separate the two signals...
- Delivery of Agents by Modulating Junctions with ZotNatalie Eddington; Fiscal Year: 2006..SA3. To examine the ability of Zot to enhance the oral bioavailability of the hydrophilic agents (mannitol, inulin) and therapeutic macromolecules (insulin, cyclosporin A, paclitaxel)...
- Production of L-Ribose and Rare SugarsRyan Woodyer; Fiscal Year: 2007..We propose a fermentative route to the production of L-ribose and other rare sugars using a mannitol-1- dehydrogenase (MDH)...
- Vaccine and Magnetic Resonance Imaging Approaches for ADMartin Sadowski; Fiscal Year: 2003..Results of our preliminary studies indicates that native A-beta bound to gadolinium co-injected with mannitol or putrescine modified A-beta bound to gadolinium can cross the BBB and act as a contrast agent for amyloid ..
- MOLECULAR MECHANISMS OF BLOOD-BRAIN BARRIER DYSFUNCTIONHarold Koenig; Fiscal Year: 1991..1.6 M mannitol is infused into the right carotid artery of rats to induce reversible BBB opening...
- HORMONAL REGULATION OF BRAIN MATURATIONBARBARA STONESTREET; Fiscal Year: 2000..Brain volume, water and electrolytes, are measured by standard methods and graded osmotic stress achieved with mannitol. The hypothesis to be tested is that steroid preteatment improves brain volume regulation in fetuses and newborns...
- MANNITOL AND VIRULENCE IN CRYPTOCOCCUS NEOFORMANSBrian Wong; Fiscal Year: 2002DESCRIPTION. (Adapted from Applicant's Abstract) Cryptococcus neoformans produces large amounts of mannitol in culture and in infected animals, and a mannitol-underproducing C. neoformans mutant is stress-intolerant and hypovirulent...
- Cerebral edema in pediatric ketoacidosisNicole Glaser; Fiscal Year: 2009..aim to determine whether two interventions, bumetanide (a specific inhibitor of NaCl transport by the BBB), and mannitol (an osmotic agent which enhances cerebral perfusion) prevent or ameliorate CE in DKA and whether these agents ..
- CLINIC PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF ACUTE BRAIN INJURYMichael Diringer; Fiscal Year: 2007..In Project 3, Drs. Michael Diringer and Robert Grubb will investigate the pathophysiological effects of mannitol and hypertonic saline on brain edema due to ischemic stroke and head trauma...
- CLINIC PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF ACUTE BRAIN INJURYMichael Diringer; Fiscal Year: 2006..In Project 3, Drs. Michael Diringer and Robert Grubb will investigate the pathophysiological effects of mannitol and hypertonic saline on brain edema due to ischemic stroke and head trauma...
- REGULATION OF RAT RENAL INNER MEDULLARY FUNCTIONJEFF SANDS; Fiscal Year: 1993..Specific Aim 1 will test the effect of increasing perfusate and bath osmolality by adding either NaCl or mannitol on IMCD urea permeability...
- ISCHEMIA AND CEREBRAL BLOOD VOLUME IN HUMAN HEAD INJURYJ Muizelaar; Fiscal Year: 1993..g. by induced hypertension, or mannitol therapy), while understanding of the pathophysiology of increased ICP and brain stiffness will lead to more ..
- ETHANOL & FAT INDUCED INSULIN RESISTANCE IN THE ELDERLYGuenther Boden; Fiscal Year: 1999..acids on glucose transport will be examined in vivo using a dual tracer technique (3-0-methyl-D-glucose and D-mannitol) in combination with the forearm balance method and euglycemic-hyperinsulinemic clamping and in vitro in rat ..
- F UPTAKE AND BINDING BY EARLY ENAMEL MATRIXJAMES BAWDEN; Fiscal Year: 1990..of enamel and its relative capacity for fluoride uptake during its various stages of development by using 3H-mannitol to correct for water loss that occurs during enamel collection and the assay procedure; (2) to determine by ..
- HETEROGENEITY CELL CALCIUM DISTRIBUTION RENAL HYPOXIAEDORIS LE FURGEY; Fiscal Year: 1990..will also be examined that preserve renal function during anoxia, such as the presence of adenine nucleotides, mannitol, and low pH in the bathing medium...
- GF REGULATION/GASTRIC MUCOSAL PARACELLULAR PERMEABILITYANDREW SOLL; Fiscal Year: 2003..effects on paracellular permeability and barrier function, as measured by transepithelial resistance and by mannitol and inulin flux, will be compared...
- METABOLIC STUDIES OF OPPORTUNISTIC FUNGI AND PROTOZOAPeter Walzer; Fiscal Year: 1993..carinii. Project 4 is concerned with D-mannitol metabolism in Cryptococcus neoformans...
- In Vitro Method for Gut Absorption and CytotoxicityFRANK BARILE; Fiscal Year: 2003..in vitro is determined using markers for paracellular permeability, including Lucifer yellow, FITC-dextran, [3H]-mannitol permeability, and transepithelial electrical resistance (TEER) measurements...
- POLY ADP RIBOSYLTRANSFERASE IN HEMORRHAGIC SHOCKCsaba Szabo; Fiscal Year: 2001..The relative contribution of hydroxyl radical will be investigated using mannitol. Third, the role of PARS in regulating iNOS expression will be investigated...
- PHASE VARIATION IN SACCHAROMYCES CEREVISIAEJOHN MCCUSKER; Fiscal Year: 2003..The second form of phase variation described by the investigator is switching between mannitol utilization states...
- ACUTE RENAL FAILURE FOLLOWING CARDIAC SURGERYMark Hilberman; Fiscal Year: 1980..A comparison of the renal functional effects of routine mannitol adminstration, manitol adminstration prior to CPB, and high dose mannitol administration will be performed. 4...
- GI BARRIER HEAT INJURY--SYSTEMIC & MOLECULAR MECHANISMSLarry Oberley; Fiscal Year: 2002..in vivo (51Cr-EDTA clearance, portal vein LPS levels, TNF, and HSP and inducible nitric oxide synthase levels, mannitol permeability) whether membrane function is altered by the elevations in ROS induced by heating, by dietary means ..
- Effects of Hyaluronan on Interstitial ConvectionMICHAEL FLESSNER; Fiscal Year: 2007..The results of this research project will provide a basis for future work designed to preserve or enhance the transport characteristics of peritoneal tissue during chronic dialysis. ..
- PERITONEAL DELIVERY OF ANTINEOPLASTIC MACROMOLECULESMICHAEL FLESSNER; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Estrogen and the Aging Blood Brain BarrierOAK CHI; Fiscal Year: 2002..The information obtained from our study will be crucially important for the clinical application of estrogen therapy for stroke as well as understanding the pathophysiology of age related cerebrovascular changes. ..
- Colon Barrier Breakdown in the ElderlyJames Mullin; Fiscal Year: 2005..Changes in membrane composition/fluidity are known to affect paracellular permeability in general, and tight junction proteins specifically. ..
- Proximal Tubule Transport Defect in Hyp MiceMichel Baum; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies will not only examine the pathogenesis of this disorder, but will directly examine if indomethacin potentially represents a novel therapy for this disease. ..
- Activated Sugars for Drug DiscoveryRyan Woodyer; Fiscal Year: 2006..These sugars can be used to make derivatives of natural products with new therapeutic properties, for example, antibiotics that are effective against antibiotic-resistant bacteria. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Translation Research in Plasmodium vivaxSocrates Herrera; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- METABOLIC CONTROL OF FEEDING BEHAVIORMark Friedman; Fiscal Year: 2005..2) Determine whether overeating in obesity prone rats is due to a slow restoration of liver energy status. (3) Determine whether calcium signaling during metabolic stimulus transduction differs in hepatocytes from lean and obese rats. ..
- CONTROL OF FEEDING BEHAVIOR--HEPATIC AFFERENT SIGNALINGCHARLES HORN; Fiscal Year: 2002..2,5-anhydro-D-mannitol (2,5-AM) and mercaptoacetate (MA), are two metabolic inhibitors with different actions that stimulate feeding ..
- SOLUTE AND FLUID TRANSPORT ACROSS THE CONJUNCTIVAOSCAR CANDIA; Fiscal Year: 2002..Based on this model, he will devise protocols to modify and possibly reverse the secretory/absorptive properties of the tissue. ..
- HEPATIC MECHANISM FOR CONTROL OF FOOD INTAKEMark Friedman; Fiscal Year: 2003..To address this, an experiment will be performed to determine whether a metabolic hunger signal originates from hepatocytes. ..
- B7-DC Cross-linking antibody immunotherapySvetomir Markovic; Fiscal Year: 2008..If successful, this "proof-of-principle" clinical trial will justify further development of B7-DC XAb as a cancer therapeutic with potential universal application for all malignant disorders. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..