Genomes and Genes
Summary: A family of zinc-containing enzymes that catalyze the reversible hydration of carbon dioxide. They play an important role in the transport of CARBON DIOXIDE from the tissues to the LUNG. EC 184.108.40.206.
Publications340 found, 100 shown here
- Carbonic anhydrases: novel therapeutic applications for inhibitors and activatorsClaudiu T Supuran
Laboratorio di Chimica Bioinorganica, Universita degli Studi di Firenze, Rm 188, Via della Lastruccia 3, I 50019 Sesto Fiorentino, Firenze, Italy
Nat Rev Drug Discov 7:168-81. 2008b>Carbonic anhydrases (CAs), a group of ubiquitously expressed metalloenzymes, are involved in numerous physiological and pathological processes, including gluconeogenesis, lipogenesis, ureagenesis, tumorigenicity and the growth and ..
- Regulation of tumor pH and the role of carbonic anhydrase 9Pawel Swietach
Department of Physiology, Anatomy and Genetics, Burdon Sanderson Cardiac Science Centre, Oxford OX1 3PT, UK
Cancer Metastasis Rev 26:299-310. 2007..We also review recent evidence that may suggest a role for CA9 in coordinating pH(i) among cells of large, unvascularized cell-clusters...
- Hypoxia inducible carbonic anhydrase IX, marker of tumour hypoxia, survival pathway and therapy targetChristian Potter
Molecular Oncology Laboratories, Weatherall Institute of Molecular Medicine, John Radcliffe Hospital Oxford, UK
Cell Cycle 3:164-7. 2004..b>Carbonic anhydrases have a widespread role in normal tissues in regulating pH, with 14 isoforms described, so inhibition may ..
- Carbonic anhydrase IX is an independent predictor of survival in advanced renal clear cell carcinoma: implications for prognosis and therapyMatthew H T Bui
Department of Urology, University of California, Los Angeles, California 90095 1738, USA
Clin Cancer Res 9:802-11. 2003..To date, there are no molecular markers which can reliably predict RCC outcome. We investigated whether a novel kidney cancer marker, carbonic anhydrase IX (CAIX), is associated with progression and survival...
- Carbonic anhydrase IX in renal cell carcinoma: implications for prognosis, diagnosis, and therapyAlexander B Stillebroer
Department of Urology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Eur Urol 58:75-83. 2010..The clinical management of patients with renal cell carcinoma (RCC) remains difficult, and the development of new diagnostic, prognostic, and therapeutic tools is still required...
- The carbonic anhydrase domain protein nacrein is expressed in the epithelial cells of the mantle and acts as a negative regulator in calcification in the mollusc Pinctada fucataHiroshi Miyamoto
Faculty of Biology Oriented Science and Technology, Department of Molecular Genetics, Kinki University, Uchita, Wakayama, Japan
Zoolog Sci 22:311-5. 2005..Together these studies suggest that nacrein functions as a negative regulator in calcification in the extrapallial space between the shell and the mantle by inhibiting the precipitation of CaCO3...
- CO2 concentrating mechanisms in algae: mechanisms, environmental modulation, and evolutionMario Giordano
Department of Marine Sciences, Universita Politecnica delle Marche, 60121 Ancona, Italy
Annu Rev Plant Biol 56:99-131. 2005..We discuss the diversity of CCMs, their evolutionary origins, and the role of the environment in CCM modulation...
- Transcriptional control of the tumor- and hypoxia-marker carbonic anhydrase 9: A one transcription factor (HIF-1) show?Stefan Kaluz
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697 4025, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1795:162-72. 2009..In conclusion, the existing data support the notion that CA9, due to the unique structure of its promoter, is one of the most sensitive endogenous sensors of HIF-1 activity...
- Expression of hypoxia-inducible cell-surface transmembrane carbonic anhydrases in human cancerS Ivanov
Science Applications International Corporation, Laboratory of Immunobiology, Bldg 560, NCI FCRDC, P O Box B, Frederick, MD 21702, USA
Am J Pathol 158:905-19. 2001..We conclude that the cell surface trans-membrane carbonic anhydrases CA IX and CA XII are overexpressed in many tumors suggesting that this is a common feature of cancer cells ..
- Sensitivity to 6-n-propylthiouracil is associated with gustin (carbonic anhydrase VI) gene polymorphism, salivary zinc, and body mass index in humansAlessandra Padiglia
Department of Science Applied to Biosystems, University of Cagliari, Monserrato, Italy
Am J Clin Nutr 92:539-45. 2010....
- Cancer-associated carbonic anhydrases and their inhibitionS Pastorekova
Center of Molecular Medicine, Institute of Virology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Dubravska cesta 9, 845 05 Bratislava, Slovak Republic
Curr Pharm Des 14:685-98. 2008..This review summarizes research data related to distribution, regulation and functional aspects of CA IX and CA XII, and describes emerging possibilities for clinical exploitation of CA inhibitors as imaging tools and anticancer drugs...
- High stromal carbonic anhydrase IX expression is associated with nodal metastasis and decreased survival in patients with surgically-treated oral cavity squamous cell carcinomaNigel T Brockton
Division of Preventive Oncology, Department of Oncology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Oral Oncol 48:615-22. 2012..Assessment of stromal CAIX expression could identify patients with the least favorable prognosis and inform therapeutic strategies in OCSCC...
- Polymorphisms in TAS2R38 and the taste bud trophic factor, gustin gene co-operate in modulating PROP taste phenotypeCarla Calo
Department of Experimental Biology, Section of Anthropology, Monserrato, CA, I 09042, Italy
Physiol Behav 104:1065-71. 2011..These data show how the combination of the TAS2R38 and gustin gene genotypes modulate PROP phenotype, providing an additional tool for the evaluation of human eating behavior and nutritional status...
- Evaluating the role of carbonic anhydrases in the transport of HCO3--related speciesWalter F Boron
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, OH 44106 4970, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1804:410-21. 2010..Thus, it appears that CAII does not bind directly to AE1 or other SLC4 proteins, and that bound CAII does not substantially accelerate HCO(3)(-)-initiated HCO(3)(-) transport...
- In vivo targeting of tumor-associated carbonic anhydrases using acetazolamide derivativesJulia K J Ahlskog
Department of Chemistry and Applied Biosciences, Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, ETH Zurich, CH 8093 Zurich, Switzerland
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 19:4851-6. 2009....
- Overexpression of carbonic anhydrase IX (CAIX) is an independent unfavorable prognostic marker in endometrioid ovarian cancerMatthias Choschzick
Institute of Pathology, University Medical Centre Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Virchows Arch 459:193-200. 2011..Our data support the potential therapeutic benefit of newly developed targeting antibodies in advanced ovarian cancer...
- Imaging of CA IX with fluorescent labelled sulfonamides distinguishes hypoxic and (re)-oxygenated cells in a xenograft tumour modelLudwig Dubois
Maastricht Radiation Oncology MaastRO Lab, GROW School for Oncology and Developmental Biology, University of Maastricht, The Netherlands
Radiother Oncol 92:423-8. 2009..The aim of this study was to investigate the in vivo CAI binding properties in a xenograft tumour model using fluorescent imaging...
- Serum carbonic anhydrase IX during first-line therapy of ovarian cancerLinn Woelber
Department of Gynecology, University Medical Center Hamburg Eppendorf, Martinistrasse 52, D 20246 Hamburg, Germany
Gynecol Oncol 117:183-8. 2010..It is overexpressed in a variety of tumors including ovarian cancer. To evaluate the potential prognostic and predictive role of serum CAIX for therapy response in ovarian cancer, we analyzed longitudinal serum samples...
- Pimonidazole binding and tumor vascularity predict for treatment outcome in head and neck cancerJohannes H A M Kaanders
Department of Radiation Oncology, University Medical Center Nijmegen, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Cancer Res 62:7066-74. 2002..Pimonidazole and CA9 demonstrate concordant staining patterns, but the latter is a less specific marker for hypoxia...
- Hypoxia activates the capacity of tumor-associated carbonic anhydrase IX to acidify extracellular pHEliska Svastova
Centre of Molecular Medicine, Institute of Virology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Dubravska cesta 9, 845 05 Bratislava, Slovak Republic
FEBS Lett 577:439-45. 2004..Our findings suggest that hypoxia regulates both expression and activity of CA IX in order to enhance the extracellular acidification, which may have important implications for tumor progression...
- The key hypoxia regulated gene CAIX is upregulated in basal-like breast tumours and is associated with resistance to chemotherapyE Y Tan
Nuffield Department of Clinical Laboratory Sciences, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, UK
Br J Cancer 100:405-11. 2009....
- Expression of hypoxia-inducible carbonic anhydrase-9 relates to angiogenic pathways and independently to poor outcome in non-small cell lung cancerA Giatromanolaki
Tumour and Angiogenesis Research Group, Department of Radiotherapy Oncology, Democritus University of Thrace, Alexandroupolis 68100, Greece
Cancer Res 61:7992-8. 2001..The expression of CA9 is linked to the expression of a constellation of proteins involved in angiogenesis, apoptosis inhibition, and cell-cell adhesion disruption, which explains the strong association of CA9 with poor outcome...
- Colocalization of carbonic anhydrase 9 expression and cell proliferation in human head and neck squamous cell carcinomaIlse J Hoogsteen
Department of Radiation Oncology, University Medical Center, St Radboud, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Clin Cancer Res 11:97-106. 2005..Colocalization of IdUrd and CA9 may identify an important subpopulation of tumor cells that might be responsible for repopulation and disease progression...
- Carbonic anhydrase IX reduces E-cadherin-mediated adhesion of MDCK cells via interaction with beta-cateninEliska Svastova
Centre of Molecular Medicine, Institute of Virology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Dubravska cesta 9, 845 05 Bratislava, Slovak Republic
Exp Cell Res 290:332-45. 2003..We conclude that CA IX has a capacity to modulate E-cadherin-mediated cell adhesion via interaction with beta-catenin, which could be of potential significance in hypoxia-induced tumor progression...
- Cloning and characterization of MN, a human tumor-associated protein with a domain homologous to carbonic anhydrase and a putative helix-loop-helix DNA binding segmentJ Pastorek
Institute of Virology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Bratislava
Oncogene 9:2877-88. 1994..amino acid sequence revealed strong structural homology between the central region of the MN protein and carbonic anhydrases (CA). MN sequence retains the conserved zinc-binding site as well as the enzyme's active center...
- Endogenous markers of two separate hypoxia response pathways (hypoxia inducible factor 2 alpha and carbonic anhydrase 9) are associated with radiotherapy failure in head and neck cancer patients recruited in the CHART randomized trialMichael I Koukourakis
Department of Radiotherapy Oncology, Democritus University of Thrace, Alexandroupolis, Greece
J Clin Oncol 24:727-35. 2006....
- Coexpression of hypoxia-inducible factors 1alpha and 2alpha, carbonic anhydrase IX, and vascular endothelial growth factor in nasopharyngeal carcinoma and relationship to survivalEdwin P Hui
Departments of Clinical Oncology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, Hong Kong
Clin Cancer Res 8:2595-604. 2002....
- Role of carbonic anhydrase IX in human tumor cell growth, survival, and invasionNaomi Robertson
Cancer Research UK, Weatherall Institute of Molecular Medicine, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, United Kingdom
Cancer Res 64:6160-5. 2004..Thus, CAIX plays an important role in the growth and survival of tumor cells under normoxia and hypoxia, making it a potential target for cancer therapy, but is not involved in invasion...
- Assessment of tumour hypoxia for prediction of response to therapy and cancer prognosisAdrian M Jubb
Weatherall Institute of Molecular Medicine, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
J Cell Mol Med 14:18-29. 2010..This review aims to discuss the clinical impact of translational work on hypoxia markers and to explore future directions for research in this area...
- N-ethyl-N-nitrosourea-induced null mutation at the mouse Car-2 locus: an animal model for human carbonic anhydrase II deficiency syndromeS E Lewis
Research Triangle Institute, NC 27709
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 85:1962-6. 1988..The CA II protein, which is normally expressed in most tissues, could not be detected by immunodiffusion analysis in any tissues of the CA II-deficient mice, suggesting a nonsense or a missense mutation at the Car-2 locus...
- A validated gene expression profile for detecting clinical outcome in breast cancer using artificial neural networksL J Lancashire
Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, University of Manchester, Manchester, M20 4BX, UK
Breast Cancer Res Treat 120:83-93. 2010..Importantly our principal prognosticator, CA9, showed that it is capable of selecting an aggressive subgroup of patients who are known to have poor prognosis...
- DNA damage is a prerequisite for p53-mediated proteasomal degradation of HIF-1alpha in hypoxic cells and downregulation of the hypoxia marker carbonic anhydrase IXMilota Kaluzova
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, University of California at Irvine, College of Medicine, Irvine 92717, USA
Mol Cell Biol 24:5757-66. 2004..A model outlining the quantitative relationship between p53, HIF-1alpha, and CAIX is presented...
- Responsiveness to 6-n-propylthiouracil (PROP) is associated with salivary levels of two specific basic proline-rich proteins in humansTiziana Cabras
Department of Life and Environment Sciences, Macrosection of Biomedicine, University of Cagliari, Monserrato, Cagliari, Italy
PLoS ONE 7:e30962. 2012..These findings suggest that PRB1, in addition to TAS2R38 and gustin, could contribute to individual differences in thiourea sensitivity, and the expression of the PROP phenotype as a complex genetic trait...
- Fibrotic focus and hypoxia in male breast cancerRobert Kornegoor
Department of Pathology, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Mod Pathol 25:1397-404. 2012..These markers seem to have similar clinical importance as previously reported in female breast cancer...
- Prognostic value of carbonic anhydrase IX and KI67 as predictors of survival for renal clear cell carcinomaMatthew H T Bui
Departments of Urology, University of California Los Angeles, California 90095 1738, USA
J Urol 171:2461-6. 2004..The natural history of renal cell carcinoma (RCC) is complex and not entirely explained by conventional prognostic factors. In this study we evaluated the prognostic value of carbonic anhydrase IX (CAIX) and Ki67 to predict survival in RCC...
- Carbonic anhydrase IX: Biochemical and crystallographic characterization of a novel antitumor targetGiuseppina De Simone
Istituto di Biostrutture e Bioimmagini CNR, 80134 Naples, Italy
Biochim Biophys Acta 1804:404-9. 2010..As a consequence, CA IX represents a promising antitumor target for the development of anticancer agents with an alternative mechanism of action...
- Carbonic anhydrase in the scleractinian coral Stylophora pistillata: characterization, localization, and role in biomineralizationAurélie Moya
Centre Scientifique de Monaco, Avenue Saint Martin, Principality of Monaco
J Biol Chem 283:25475-84. 2008b>Carbonic anhydrases (CA) play an important role in biomineralization from invertebrates to vertebrates. Previous experiments have investigated the role of CA in coral calcification, mainly by pharmacological approaches...
- Effect of distributional heterogeneity on the analysis of tumor hypoxia based on carbonic anhydrase IXVladimir V Iakovlev
Ontario Cancer Institute, Princess Margaret Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada
Lab Invest 87:1206-17. 2007..However, CAIX was inferior to pO2 measurements as a tool for patient stratification. Improved analytical methods to account for intratumoral heterogeneity are needed to provide reliable measurements of molecular markers...
- Carbonic anhydrases II and XII are up-regulated in osteoclast-like cells in advanced human atherosclerotic plaques-Tampere Vascular StudyNiku Oksala
Centre for Laboratory Medicine, Tampere University Hospital and Department of Clinical Chemistry, Medical School, University of Tampere, Tampere, Finland
Ann Med 42:360-70. 2010b>Carbonic anhydrases (CA) play a central role in osteoclast function and bone remodeling by catalyzing the formation of bicarbonate and proton from carbon dioxide...
- Regulatory mechanism underlying cyclic changes in mouse uterine bicarbonate secretion: role of estrogenQiong He
Epithelial Cell Biology Research Center, School of Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, NT, Hong Kong, People s Republic of China
Reproduction 140:903-10. 2010....
- Investigations of the esterase, phosphatase, and sulfatase activities of the cytosolic mammalian carbonic anhydrase isoforms I, II, and XIII with 4-nitrophenyl esters as substratesAlessio Innocenti
Universita degli Studi di Firenze, Laboratorio di Chimica Bioinorganica, Rm 188, Via della Lastruccia 3, I 50019 Sesto Fiorentino, Firenze, Italy
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 18:2267-71. 2008..CA XIII was the most effective esterase and phosphatase. CA XIII might catalyze other physiological reactions than CO(2) hydration, based on its relevant phosphatase activity...
- Biochemistry: a cadmium enzyme from a marine diatomTodd W Lane
Biosystems Research Department, Sandia National Laboratories, Livermore, California 94551 0969, USA
Nature 435:42. 2005....
- Carbonic anhydrase 9 in clear cell renal cell carcinoma: a marker for diagnosis, prognosis and treatmentJacques Tostain
Department of Urology Andrology, University Jean Monnet, Teaching Hospital, Saint Etienne, France
Eur J Cancer 46:3141-8. 2010..Targeting CA9 by inhibitors, radioimmunotherapy, monoclonal antibodies or vaccination is promising and offers new avenues for clinical research...
- Docking, synthesis, and in vitro evaluation of antimitotic estrone analogsAndre Stander
Department of Physiology, University of Pretoria, Pretoria, South Africa
Chem Biol Drug Des 77:173-81. 2011....
- Fungal adenylyl cyclase integrates CO2 sensing with cAMP signaling and virulenceTorsten Klengel
Department of Biosciences, University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent CT2 7NJ, United Kingdom
Curr Biol 15:2021-6. 2005..Novel therapeutic agents could target this pathway at several levels to control fungal infections...
- Biomarkers predicting outcome in patients with advanced renal cell carcinoma: Results from sorafenib phase III Treatment Approaches in Renal Cancer Global Evaluation TrialCarol Pena
Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals, Montville, New Jersey 07045 1000, USA
Clin Cancer Res 16:4853-63. 2010....
- The catalytic properties of human carbonic anhydrase IXT Wingo
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, Florida 32610 0267, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 288:666-9. 2001Human carbonic anhydrase IX (CA IX) is an integral membrane protein and a member of the alpha class of carbonic anhydrases that includes the human and animal enzymes...
- Prognostic relevance of carbonic anhydrase-IX in high-risk, early-stage cervical cancer: a Gynecologic Oncology Group studyShu Yuan Liao
Department of Epidemiology, University of California at Irvine, School of Medicine, Irvine, CA, USA
Gynecol Oncol 116:452-8. 2010....
- High levels of carbonic anhydrase IX in tumour tissue and plasma are biomarkers of poor prognostic in patients with non-small cell lung cancerM Ilie
Laboratory of Clinical and Experimental Pathology, Louis Pasteur Hospital, Nice, France
Br J Cancer 102:1627-35. 2010..This study was conducted to assess if the expression of CAIX in tumour tissue and/or plasma can be a prognostic factor in patients with non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC)...
- Hypoxia and metabolic phenotypes during breast carcinogenesis: expression of HIF-1alpha, GLUT1, and CAIXChi long Chen
Department of Pathology, College of Medicine, Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan
Virchows Arch 457:53-61. 2010..GLUT1 expression (glycolytic phenotype) and CAIX expression (acid-resistant phenotype) may result in a powerful adaptive advantage and represent an aggressive phenotype...
- Expression of the hypoxia-inducible and tumor-associated carbonic anhydrases in ductal carcinoma in situ of the breastC C Wykoff
Institute of Molecular Medicine, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, United Kingdom
Am J Pathol 158:1011-9. 2001b>Carbonic anhydrases (CA) influence intra- and extracellular pH and ion transport in varied biological processes. We recently identified CA9 and CA12 as hypoxia-inducible genes...
- Carbonic anhydrases as targets for medicinal chemistryClaudiu T Supuran
Universita degli Studi di Firenze, Laboratorio di Chimica Bioinorganica, Rm 188, Via della Lastruccia 3, I 50019 Sesto Fiorentino Firenze, Italy
Bioorg Med Chem 15:4336-50. 2007b>Carbonic anhydrases (CAs, EC 220.127.116.11) are zinc enzymes acting as efficient catalysts for the reversible hydration of carbon dioxide to bicarbonate...
- New insights into the physiological role of carbonic anhydrase IX in tumour pH regulationP Swietach
Department of Physiology, Anatomy and Genetics, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Oncogene 29:6509-21. 2010..This is now an important avenue for further investigation. The importance of CAIX in regulating tumour pH highlights the protein as a potential target for cancer therapy...
- Carbonic anhydrase IX as an anticancer therapy target: preclinical evaluation of internalizing monoclonal antibody directed to catalytic domainM Zatovicova
Institute of Virology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Dubravska cesta 9, Bratislava, Slovak Republic
Curr Pharm Des 16:3255-63. 2010..These have not been explored so far and include broad spectrum of cancer types, treatment of which might benefit from CA IX-mediated targeting...
- Carbonic anhydrase IX expression, hypoxia, and prognosis in patients with uterine cervical carcinomasDavid Hedley
Division of Experimental Therapeutics and Department of Radiation Oncology, Ontario Cancer Institute Princess Margaret Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Clin Cancer Res 9:5666-74. 2003..Recent studies suggest that carbonic anhydrase IX (CA IX), which is regulated via hypoxia-inducible factor 1, is a useful intrinsic marker of tumor hypoxia...
- Targeting tumor hypoxia: suppression of breast tumor growth and metastasis by novel carbonic anhydrase IX inhibitorsYuanmei Lou
Department of Integrative Oncology, BC Cancer Agency, British Columbia, Canada
Cancer Res 71:3364-76. 2011..Our findings show that CAIX is vital for growth and metastasis of hypoxic breast tumors and is a specific, targetable biomarker for breast cancer metastasis...
- IL-6 triggers malignant features in mammospheres from human ductal breast carcinoma and normal mammary glandPasquale Sansone
Center for Applied Biomedical Research, St Orsola Malpighi University Hospital, Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
J Clin Invest 117:3988-4002. 2007..In conclusion, these data support the hypothesis that IL-6 induces malignant features in Notch-3-expressing stem/progenitor cells from human ductal breast carcinoma and normal mammary gland...
- Efficiency of the CO2-concentrating mechanism of diatomsBrian M Hopkinson
Department of Geosciences, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ 08544, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:3830-7. 2011..To achieve the CO(2) concentration necessary to saturate carbon fixation, the CO(2) is most likely concentrated within the pyrenoid, an organelle within the chloroplast where the CO(2)-fixating enzyme is located...
- Necrosis and hypoxia in invasive breast carcinomaLadislav Tomes
Faculty of Medicine, Department of Pathology, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Breast Cancer Res Treat 81:61-9. 2003..We conclude that stromal and epithelial hypoxia may have different biological backgrounds and that stromal hypoxia may affect survival...
- Tumor hypoxia at the micro-regional level: clinical relevance and predictive value of exogenous and endogenous hypoxic cell markersJohan Bussink
Department of Radiation Oncology, University Medical Center Nijmegen, 6500 HB, The, Nijmegen, Netherlands
Radiother Oncol 67:3-15. 2003....
- Expression of vascular endothelial growth factor, hypoxia inducible factor 1alpha, and carbonic anhydrase IX in human tumoursA M Jubb
Department of Pathology, Genentech Inc, South San Francisco, CA94080, USA
J Clin Pathol 57:504-12. 2004....
- Carbon dioxide transport through membranesAndreas Missner
Institut für Biophysik and Institut für Industriemathematik, Johannes Kepler Universitat, Altenbergerstrasse 69, Linz, Austria
J Biol Chem 283:25340-7. 2008..The conclusion was confirmed by the observation that CO(2) permeability of epithelial cell monolayers was always the same whether AQP1 was overexpressed in both the apical and basolateral membranes or not...
- Biphasic and dually coordinated expression of the genes encoding major shell matrix proteins in the pearl oyster Pinctada fucataTakeshi Takeuchi
Graduate School of Life and Environmental Sciences, University of Tsukuba, Tennodai 1 1 1, Tsukuba, 305 8572, Japan
Mar Biotechnol (NY) 8:52-61. 2006....
- Carbonic anhydrase IX in bladder cancer: a diagnostic, prognostic, and therapeutic molecular markerTobias Klatte
Department of Urology, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California 90095 1738, USA
Cancer 115:1448-58. 2009..The objective of this study was to evaluate the role of carbonic anhydrase IX (CAIX) in urothelial carcinoma of the bladder...
- Molecular mechanisms of carbonic anhydrase IX-mediated pH regulation under hypoxiaSilvia Pastorekova
Centre of Molecular Medicine, Institute of Virology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Bratislava, Slovak Republic
BJU Int 101:8-15. 2008
- The role of carbonic anhydrase 9 in regulating extracellular and intracellular ph in three-dimensional tumor cell growthsPawel Swietach
From the Department of Physiology, Anatomy and Genetics, Burdon Sanderson Cardiac Science Centre, Oxford OX1 3PT, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 284:20299-310. 2009..The results suggest a possible basis for attenuating tumor development through inhibiting CA9 activity...
- Tumor-associated carbonic anhydrase 9 spatially coordinates intracellular pH in three-dimensional multicellular growthsPawel Swietach
Department of Physiology, Anatomy, and Genetics, Burdon Sanderson Cardiac Science Centre, Oxford, UK
J Biol Chem 283:20473-83. 2008..We suggest that pH(i) coordination may favor survival and growth of a tumor. By disrupting spatial pH(i) control, inhibition of CA9 activity may offer a novel strategy for the clinical treatment of CA9-associated tumors...
- Soluble form of carbonic anhydrase IX (CA IX) in the serum and urine of renal carcinoma patientsJ Zavada
Institute of Molecular Genetics, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Flemingovo nam 2, 16637 Prague, Czech Republic
Br J Cancer 89:1067-71. 2003..After nephrectomy, s-CA IX is cleared from the blood within a few days. Only an extremely low concentration of CA IX was detectable in the sera and in urine of control individuals...
- Proteins of calcified endoskeleton: II partial amino acid sequences of endoskeletal proteins and the characterization of proteinaceous organic matrix of spicules from the alcyonarian, Synularia polydactylaM Azizur Rahman
Department of Marine and Environmental Sciences, University of the Ryukyus, Okinawa, Japan
Proteomics 5:885-93. 2005..These findings suggest that the endoskeletal spicules of alcyonarian corals have protein-rich organic matrices, which might be related to the calcification process...
- The tobacco salicylic acid-binding protein 3 (SABP3) is the chloroplast carbonic anhydrase, which exhibits antioxidant activity and plays a role in the hypersensitive defense responseDavid H Slaymaker
Waksman Institute, Rutgers, State University of New Jersey, 190 Frelinghuysen Road, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:11640-5. 2002..These results demonstrate that SA may act through multiple effector proteins in plants and shed further light on the function of CA in chloroplasts...
- Physiology and molecular biology of renal carbonic anhydraseGeorge J Schwartz
Pediatric Nephrology, University of Rochester School of Medicine, NY 14642, USA
J Nephrol 15:S61-74. 2002..To establish other roles for CA in the kidney will require further kinetic, functional, immunolocalization and cloning studies...
- Evidence for a protein transported through the secretory pathway en route to the higher plant chloroplastArsenio Villarejo
Umea Plant Science Centre, Department of Plant Physiology, Umea University, S 90187 Umea, Sweden
Nat Cell Biol 7:1224-31. 2005..Here, we show that a chloroplast-located protein in higher plants takes an alternative route through the secretory pathway, and becomes N-glycosylated before entering the chloroplast...
- Lowered oxygen tension induces expression of the hypoxia marker MN/carbonic anhydrase IX in the absence of hypoxia-inducible factor 1 alpha stabilization: a role for phosphatidylinositol 3'-kinaseStefan Kaluz
Institute of Virology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Bratislava, Slovak Republic
Cancer Res 62:4469-77. 2002..These interdependent pathways function at a lowered O(2) concentration that is, however, above that necessary for HIF-1 alpha stabilization...
- Glycosyl coumarin carbonic anhydrase IX and XII inhibitors strongly attenuate the growth of primary breast tumorsNadia Touisni
Institut des Biomolecules Max Mousseron IBMM, UMR 5247 CNRS UM1 UM2, Bâtiment de Recherche Max Mousseron, Ecole Nationale Superieure de Chimie de Montpellier, 8 rue de l Ecole Normale, 34296 Montpellier Cedex, France
J Med Chem 54:8271-7. 2011..Because CA IX is overexpressed in hypoxic tumors and exhibits very limited expression in normal tissues, such compounds may be useful for treating cancers not responsive to classic chemo- and radiotherapy...
- Carbonic anhydrase IX as a target for metastatic diseaseRoben G Gieling
Hypoxia and Therapeutics Group, School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Manchester, Stopford Building, Oxford Road, Rm 3 125, M13 9PL Manchester, United Kingdom
Bioorg Med Chem 21:1470-6. 2013..Studies in tumour xenograft models showed that these CA IX-specific inhibitors and antibodies can be very effective in therapy and imaging of a variety of different metastatic cancers...
- The presence of a fibrotic focus in invasive breast carcinoma correlates with the expression of carbonic anhydrase IX and is a marker of hypoxia and poor prognosisCecile G Colpaert
Department of Pathology, University Hospital Antwerp, University of Antwerp, Edegem, Belgium
Breast Cancer Res Treat 81:137-47. 2003..FF is useful as a surrogate marker of hypoxia-driven ongoing angiogenesis and is associated with a higher relapse rate and a worse overall survival...
- The response of nutrient assimilation and biochemical composition of Arctic seaweeds to a nutrient input in summerFrancisco J L Gordillo
Departamento de Ecologia, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad de Malaga, Campus Teatinos, E 29071 Malaga, Spain
J Exp Bot 57:2661-71. 2006..This indicates a high degree of resilience of the algal community to a disruption in the natural nutrient availability pattern...
- Structure and catalytic mechanism of the beta-carbonic anhydrasesRoger S Rowlett
Colgate University, Department of Chemistry, Hamilton, NY 13346, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1804:362-73. 2010The beta-carbonic anhydrases (beta-CAs) are a diverse but structurally related group of zinc-metalloenzymes found in eubacteria, plant chloroplasts, red and green algae, and in the Archaea...
- Carbonic anhydrase in calcified endoskeleton: novel activity in biocalcification in alcyonarianM Azizur Rahman
Department of Marine and Environmental Sciences, University of the Ryukyus, Okinawa, Japan
Mar Biotechnol (NY) 10:31-8. 2008..Our observations strongly suggest that the matrix protein in alcyonarian coral is not only a structural protein but also a catalyst...
- Expression of carbonic anhydrase IX in breast is associated with malignant tissues and is related to overexpression of c-erbB2Maria Bartosova
Department of Molecular Biology, Institute of Virology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Bratislava, Slovak Republic
J Pathol 197:314-21. 2002..02). No significant association was found with the other markers. The results of this study support the possible importance of CA IX for breast carcinogenesis and suggest its potential use as a breast tumour marker...
- Carbonic anhydrases in anthozoan corals-A reviewAnthony Bertucci
Centre Scientifique de Monaco, Avenue Saint Martin, MC 98000, Monaco
Bioorg Med Chem 21:1437-50. 2013..b>Carbonic anhydrases play major roles in those two essential processes of coral's physiology: they are involved in the carbon ..
- S0859, an N-cyanosulphonamide inhibitor of sodium-bicarbonate cotransport in the heartF F T Ch'en
Burdon Sanderson Cardiac Science Centre, Department of Physiology, Anatomy and Genetics, Division of Medical Sciences, Oxford University, Oxford, UK
Br J Pharmacol 153:972-82. 2008..Compound S0859 (C(29)H(24)ClN(3)O(3)S) is a putative NBC inhibitor. Here, we provide the drug's chemical structure, test its potency and selectivity in ventricular cells and assess its suitability for experiments on cardiac contraction...
- Targeting tumor-associated carbonic anhydrase IX in cancer therapyAnne Thiry
Drug Design and Discovery Center, University of Namur, 61 rue de Bruxelles, B 5000 Namur, Belgium
Trends Pharmacol Sci 27:566-73. 2006..Indeed, fluorescent inhibitors and membrane-impermeant sulfonamides have recently been used as proof-of-concept tools, demonstrating that CA IX is an interesting target for anticancer drug development...
- Nacre calcification in the freshwater mussel Unio pictorum: carbonic anhydrase activity and purification of a 95 kDa calcium-binding glycoproteinBenjamin Marie
UMR CNRS 5561 Biogeosciences, Universite de Bourgogne, Dijon, France
Chembiochem 9:2515-23. 2008..Partial primary structures were obtained by de novo sequencing and compared with known sequences from other mollusc shell proteins. Our results are discussed from an evolutionary viewpoint...
- Phosphorylation of carbonic anhydrase IX controls its ability to mediate extracellular acidification in hypoxic tumorsPeter Ditte
Department of Molecular Medicine, Institute of Virology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Bratislava, Slovak Republic
Cancer Res 71:7558-67. 2011..Our findings indicate that CA IX is a pivotal mediator of the hypoxia-cAMP-PKA axis, which regulates pH in the hypoxic tumor microenvironment...
- The role of carbonic anhydrases in renal physiologyJ M Purkerson
Department of Pediatrics, University of Rochester School of Medicine, Rochester, New York, USA
Kidney Int 71:103-15. 2007..For example, CAII on the cytoplasmic face and CAIV on the extracellular surface provide the 'push' and 'pull' for bicarbonate transport by supplying and dissipating substrate respectively...
- CA9 gene: single nucleotide polymorphism predicts metastatic renal cell carcinoma prognosisMichela de Martino
Department of Urology, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California 90095 1738, USA
J Urol 182:728-34. 2009..The CA9 gene exons and flanking regions were amplified by polymerase chain reaction and sequenced. The monoclonal antibody M75 was used to evaluate CAIX protein expression in the primary tumor by immunohistochemistry...
- Prokaryotic carbonic anhydrasesK S Smith
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, 204 South Frear Laboratory, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
FEMS Microbiol Rev 24:335-66. 2000b>Carbonic anhydrases catalyze the reversible hydration of CO(2) [CO(2)+H(2)Oright harpoon over left harpoon HCO(3)(-)+H(+)]...
- Expression of transmembrane carbonic anhydrase isoenzymes IX and XII in normal human pancreas and pancreatic tumoursA J Kivela
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Oulu, Finland
Histochem Cell Biol 114:197-204. 2000..However, the increased expression of CA IX in hyperplastic ductal epithelium may contribute to the pancreatic tumourigenesis...
- A novel alpha-type carbonic anhydrase associated with the thylakoid membrane in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii is required for growth at ambient CO2J Karlsson
Department of Plant Physiology, Umea University, S 901 87 Umea, Sweden
EMBO J 17:1208-16. 1998..reinhardtii at ambient levels of CO2, and that at these CO2 concentrations the enzyme is required for optimal photosystem II photochemistry...
- Carbonic anhydrase II is an AP-1 target gene in osteoclastsJ P David
Department of Cell Biology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
J Cell Physiol 188:89-97. 2001..Thus, our data demonstrate that cFos/AP-1 can directly regulate the expression of this osteoclast marker and that AP-1 activity is upregulated in osteoclast progenitors in response to osteoclastogenic signals...
- Inhibitory effects of cadmium on carbonic anhydrase activity and ionic regulation of the estuarine crab Chasmagnathus granulata (Decapoda, Grapsidae)A M Vitale
Biological Sciences Department, University of Buenos Aires, Argentina
Comp Biochem Physiol C Pharmacol Toxicol Endocrinol 122:121-9. 1999..15 x 10(-5), 1.62 x 10(-5), 3.75 x 10(-6) and 4.4 x 10(-10) M for cadmium, copper, zinc and AZ, respectively. The comparison with IC50 values of other aquatic species, indicates a higher CA sensitivity for C. granulata to pollutants...
- The carbonic anhydrase isoforms of Chlamydomonas reinhardtii: intracellular location, expression, and physiological rolesJames V Moroney
Department of Biological Sciences, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA 70803, USA
Photosynth Res 109:133-49. 2011..b>Carbonic anhydrases (CAs) are important components of the CCM...
- The tumour-associated carbonic anhydrases CA II, CA IX and CA XII in a group of medulloblastomas and supratentorial primitive neuroectodermal tumours: an association of CA IX with poor prognosisKristiina Nordfors
Department of Pathology, Tampere University Hospital, Tampere, Finland
BMC Cancer 10:148. 2010..Our aim was to investigate whether carbonic anhydrases (CAs), enzymes commonly overexpressed in various tumours including glioblastomas and oligodendrogliomas, ..
- Expression and activity of carbonic anhydrase IX is associated with metabolic dysfunction in MDA-MB-231 breast cancer cellsYing Li
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Florida, College of Medicine, Gainesville, Florida 32610, USA
Cancer Invest 27:613-23. 2009..Together, these studies suggest that CAIX expression and activity is associated with metabolic dysfunction in MDA-MB-231 cells...
- Design of a carbonic anhydrase IX active-site mimic to screen inhibitors for possible anticancer propertiesCaroli Genis
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, College of Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32610, USA
Biochemistry 48:1322-31. 2009..This preliminary study demonstrates that the CA IX mimic may provide a useful model to design more isozyme-specific CA IX inhibitors, which may lead to development of new therapeutic treatments of some cancers...
- Exploring local flexibility/rigidity in psychrophilic and mesophilic carbonic anhydrasesR Chiuri
National Nanotechnology Laboratory of CNR INFM, IIT Research Unit, Lecce, Italy
Biophys J 96:1586-96. 2009....
- A biological function for cadmium in marine diatomsT W Lane
Department of Geosciences, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ 08544 1003, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:4627-31. 2000..It is now clear that T. weissflogii expresses a Cd-specific CA, which, particularly under conditions of Zn limitation, can replace the Zn enzyme TWCA1 in its carbon-concentrating mechanism...
- Importance of post-translational modifications for functionality of a chloroplast-localized carbonic anhydrase (CAH1) in Arabidopsis thalianaStefan Burén
Department of Plant Physiology, Umea Plant Science Centre, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
PLoS ONE 6:e21021. 2011..Therefore, to elucidate the significance of glycosylation in trafficking and the effect of glycosylation on the stability and function of the protein, epitope-labelled wild type and mutated versions of CAH1 were expressed in plant cells...
- Targeting hypoxic tumor cell viability with carbohydrate-based carbonic anhydrase IX and XII inhibitorsJason C Morris
Eskitis Institute for Cell and Molecular Therapies, Griffith University, Nathan, Queensland 4111, Australia
J Med Chem 54:6905-18. 2011..Our findings identified two inhibitors (compounds 5 and 17) that block CA IX-induced survival and have potential for development as in vivo cancer cell selective inhibitors...
- Reduced expression of hypoxia-inducible factor-1alpha in perinecrotic regions of solid tumorsSolmaz Sobhanifar
British Columbia Cancer Research Center, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Cancer Res 65:7259-66. 2005..These results have implications for the use of HIF-1alpha as an indicator of tumor hypoxia and aggressiveness as well as development of hypoxia-directed antitumor therapies based on the expression of HIF-1alpha...
- Mitochondrial Carbonic Anhydrases and Diabetic Blood-Brain Barrier Disruption GUL NASREEN SHAH; Fiscal Year: 2013..Mitochondrial carbonic anhydrases (CAs) are important in the generation of reactive oxygen species (ROS) and the subsequent oxidative stress ..
- Dynamics of pH Regulation in the BrainMitchell Chesler; Fiscal Year: 2013..Studies will make use of animals with a knockout of specific carbonic anhydrases, and will utilize transgenic mice with green fluorescence protein expression in specific interneuron ..
- Chelator Fragment Libraries for Optimizing Metal-Ligand Interactions in MetalloprSeth M Cohen; Fiscal Year: 2013..studies on two specific Zn2+dependent systems (Aim 2, Aim 3), the matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) and carbonic anhydrases (CAs)...
- Directed Evolution of Metal-Substituted Carbonic Anhydrases for CatalysisLEVI MICHAEL STANLEY; Fiscal Year: 2013..The first aim is focused on the identification of metal-substituted carbonic anhydrases that exhibit activity as catalysts for C-H functionalization reactions...
- Carbonic anhydrase and pH control in breast cancer cellsSusan Cooke Frost; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our overall goal is to understand the role of membrane-bound carbonic anhydrases, whose catalytic domains face the extracellular milieu, in controlling acidification in breast cancer...
- CATALYTIC MECHANISM OF CARBONIC ANHYDRASEDavid N Silverman; Fiscal Year: 2012..The unifying goal of this application is to expand our use of the carbonic anhydrases to understand such rate-limiting and long-range proton transfer steps in a way that can be extended to ..
- SITE SPECIFIC MUTAGENESIS OF H PYLORI CARBONIC ANHYDRASEROGER ROWLETT; Fiscal Year: 1999..from the Applicant's Abstract) Helicobacter pylori, a human gastric pathogen, codes for two different carbonic anhydrases in its genome, both an alpha and beta form...
- MUTAGENESIS TO PROBE CATALYSIS BY CARBONIC ANHYDRASE IICarol Fierke; Fiscal Year: 1992..Information gained will impact on our understanding of the mechanism of carbonic anhydrases and other metalloenzymes, as well as the mechanism of proton transfers in all proteins...
- STRUCTURE/FUNCTION OF CARBONIC ANHYDRASEDavid Christianson; Fiscal Year: 2001DESCRIPTION: (adapted from applicant's abstract) The zinc-requiring carbonic anhydrases (CA) are ubiquitous throughout the plant, animal, and bacterial kingdoms, and no other family of enzymes characterized by such catalytic, cellular, ..
- SECOND INTERNATIONAL NOMENCLATURE WORKSHOPMuriel Davisson; Fiscal Year: 1999..various species (vertebrates, invertebrates, yeast, plants), gene families (calcium channels, aquaporins, carbonic anhydrases, annexins), and databases (MGI, GDB, NCBI, SWISS-PROT) will discuss nomenclature issues such as 1) the need ..
- CARBONIC ANHYDRASE AND MYELIN DEVELOPMENTMARJORIE LEES; Fiscal Year: 1980..Lees, M.B. and Koul, O.: Regional Development and Fractional Studies on Myelin and other carbonic anhydrases in rat CNS in Myelination and demyelination: Recent Chemical advances. Palo, J. and Riekennen, P., (Eds...
- Carbonic Anhydrases in Obesity and Insulin ResistanceJACK YOUNGREN; Fiscal Year: 2003..These studies should provide important new data, therefore, on the CA family of enzymes, and their role in the insulin resistance. ..
- Structural Aspects of Bicarbonate Transport MetabolonsPeter Piermarini; Fiscal Year: 2005..The HCO3-transporters NBCe1& AE1, and carbonic anhydrases CA II & CAIV are proteins that play important roles in HCO3-reabsorption by the renal tubule...
- VISION RESEARCH AT INDIANA UNIVERSITYJoseph Bonanno; Fiscal Year: 2008..They include advanced optics of the eye, visual displays for infant vision development, microscopic fluorimetry and imaging, and equipment repair support. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ENZYMOLOGY OF ACETOTROPHIC METHANOGENESISJAMES FERRY; Fiscal Year: 2003..Three of these enzymes are virtually ubiquitous in anaerobes: acetate kinase, phosphotransacetylase, and carbonic anhydrases of the (and (classes...
- CURCUMIN AS AN INHIBITOR OF PROSTATE CANCER BONE METASTASISThambi Dorai; Fiscal Year: 2007..Feasibility of this approach will offer prostate cancer patients a safe and nontoxic way to treat the metasatic complications at least in an adjuvant manner, along with other therapies. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Single Cell Analysis of Cross Talk Among Kinase PathwaysStefan Kaluz; Fiscal Year: 2008..These studies will provide additional information relating to our understanding of the consequencesof activationof kinase signaling pathwayswith respect to malignant transformation, aggressive tumor growth and survival. ..
- ANION REGULATION IN LARVAE OF DISEASE VECTOR MOSQUITOESPAUL LINSER; Fiscal Year: 2009..targeted as they have central roles in anion production and transport in the gut alkalinization process: carbonic anhydrases and transmembrane anion transporters...
- CORNEAL METABOLIC ACTIVITY IN HUMANSJoseph Bonanno; Fiscal Year: 2002..If so, this could lead to the development of a provocative test for suitability of contact lens wear based on a quick and simple measure of corneal oxygen consumption. ..
- Defining Molecular Markers for Tumor HypoxiaQUYNH THU XUAN LE; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Metal Transfer Reactions between Stable Isotopically Doped Zn ProteinsAndrew Mason; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Statistical Methods in Diagnostic MedicineXiao Hua Zhou; Fiscal Year: 2007..Finally, we will develop general group sequential designs for comparative ROC studies using nonparametrically estimated ROC curves. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- SALIVARY MUCOUS CELL GENE EXPRESSIONDAVID CULP; Fiscal Year: 2007..Moreover, expression of a novel human gene expressing a salivary apomucin will be verified, and if expressed, would be the focus of future studies to determine mechanisms regulating its expression. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MOLECULAR PHYSIOLOGY OF BAND 3 LIKE PROTEINS OF KIDNEYSeth Alper; Fiscal Year: 2007..5. Define aspects of transcriptional and translational regulation of AE gene products in kidney of mutant and parental mouse strains and in cultured kidney cells. ..
- Therapeutic Modulation of COX-2-induced Immunosuppression in Metastatic RCCBrian Rini; Fiscal Year: 2008..This project will have broad implications for the immunoregulation of cancer and how expression and modulation of COX-2 expression influences the immune response to cancer. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Apical CI/OH-/HCO3-exchanger in kidney and GI tractManoocher Soleimani; Fiscal Year: 2007..They should further facilitate future investigations into the role of this transporter in pathophysiologic states affecting electrolyte and acid-base homeostasis. ..
- Structural Investigation of Allosteric Regulation in Bacterial Carbonic AnhydraseJEFF CRONK; Fiscal Year: 2007unreadable] DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The carbonic anhydrases (CAs) catalyze a reaction of fundamental biochemical and physiological importance, the interconversion of carbon dioxide and bicarbonate ion CO2 + H2O - All CAs ..
- Elucidating Novel Topological Features in Protein StructuresTodd O Yeates; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proteins to be studied here possess unique features that make them valuable in efforts to achieve a fundamental understanding of protein structure and stability. ..
- Fluorescence Zinc BioSensing and Imaging TechnologyRICHARD BLAIR THOMPSON; Fiscal Year: 2010..This novel technology will provide the basis for new diagnostics and treatments. ..
- Utility of [F-18] fluoroDOPA for neonatal hyperinsulism: A Phase IIChaitanya Divgi; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- BIOCHEMICAL GENETICS OF CARBONIC ANHYDRASE DEFICIENCIESWilliam Sly; Fiscal Year: 2008..The sixteen known carbonic anhydrases (CAs) and CA-related proteins play important roles in diverse physiological processes including respiration,..
- Oral Infectious Disease: Virulence and Host DeterminantsDAVID CULP; Fiscal Year: 2009..Future studies can then focus on molecular mechanisms of host-pathogen interactions. Results may indicate important therapeutic targets to treat patients at high risk for caries (i.e., patients with xerostomia). ..
- Cyclotron for biomedical researchChaitanya Divgi; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Defining Cell Lineages in the Bladder UrotheliumSabina Signoretti; Fiscal Year: 2006..These studies will clarify lineage relationships among bladder epithelial cells and provide important insights into the nature of urothelial stem cells. ..
- CELLULAR REGULATION OF KIDNEY EPITHELIAL CELL POLARITYDennis Brown; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Antiestrogenic Effects on Tumor AngiogenesisKimberly Blackwell; Fiscal Year: 2006..The results of this project will have profound implications, especially as clinicians begin to use the newer estrogen receptor modulating drugs for the prevention and treatment of breast cancer. ..
- Sickle Red Cell K+ Transporter Genetics in S. cerevisiaeSeth Alper; Fiscal Year: 2002..3) (Provisional Aim): Time permitting, to improve, validate, and standardize growth rescue of trk1delta/trk2delta S. cerevisiae by expression in nonpermissive conditions of cDNA encoding the mammalian IK1 K(ca) channel. ..
- GENE DEFECTIVE IN HEREDITARY HEMOCHROMATOSISWilliam Sly; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies will not only improve our understanding of how iron absorption is normally regulated, but may also suggest new strategies for treating disorders of excessive iron absorption. ..
- Fourier Transform Ion Cyclotron Resonance Mass Spect.Mehdi Moini; Fiscal Year: 2003..3) Chemical Composition Analysis of Expanded Porphyrins. Some of these expanded porphyrins are used to develop drugs for diagnosis and treatment of human diseases such as radiation therapy enhancing agents. ..
- PHYSIOLOGY OF RENAL SODIUM/BICARBONATE COTRANSPORTWalter Boron; Fiscal Year: 2001..The use of isolated, perfused tubules will insure that the expression of the transporters is as normal as possible, and that anatomical origin of the tubules is precisely known. ..
- SEXUAL DIMORPHISM IN SEIZURE CONTROLJANA VELISKOVA; Fiscal Year: 2002..Rats of both sexes and various ages will be used. These studies may lead to the development of new antiepileptic treatments that take into the account sexual age-related differences. ..
- QUANTITATIVE IMAGING OF ZINC METABOLISM IN THE BRAINRichard Thompson; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- REGULATION OF COLONIC H-K-ATPASE IN THE KIDNEYManoocher Soleimani; Fiscal Year: 2001..Insight into regulation of cHKA will significantly enhance our knowledge on a variety of pathologic conditions associated with electrolyte and acid-base abnormalities. ..
- CHARACTERIZATION OF NA-DEPENDENT HCO3-TRANSPORTERSManoocher Soleimani; Fiscal Year: 2001..Insight into regulation and gene structure of Na-coupled HCO3 transporters should enhance our knowledge on cell regulation and acid-base homeostasis. ..
- REGULATION OF GLANDULAR MUCOUS CELL SECRETIONDAVID CULP; Fiscal Year: 2001..Results will provide specific information for determination of the dose and temporal administration of agonist in future clinical trials to treat patients with salivary hypofunction. ..
- QUANTITATION OF HYPOXIC TUMOR CELLSPeggy Olive; Fiscal Year: 2001..To validate the models, expression of GFP will be analyzed in relation to proliferation, hypoxia marker binding, and clonogenicity following irradiation. ..
- PH REGULATION IN VENTRICULAR CELLSKENNETH SPITZER; Fiscal Year: 2002..The results of this project will yield new information concerning hormonal modulation of cardiac pHi control systems and the action of intracellular and intercellular H+ diffusion to dissipate regional pHi gradients. ..
- Ultraview LCI Spinning Disk Confocal Microscope SystemDennis Brown; Fiscal Year: 2003..Thus, a wide-range of projects and investigators will benefit from this equipment, which will be integrated into a Core facility that has been operational for over 15 years. ..
- QUANTITATIVE IMAGING OF ZINC METABOLISM IN THE BRAINRichard Thompson; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Evaluation of models of pharmacoresistant epilepsy.H White; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Physiological isoforms of sAC in male germ cellsJochen Buck; Fiscal Year: 2005..A long-term objective of this work is development of highly specific pharmacological reagents targeting individual isoforms as a novel method of contraception or to treat infertility. ..
- ION CHANNEL REGULATION BY THE CYTOPLASMIC TAIL OF PDK1Seth Alper; Fiscal Year: 2005..We will search for novel interacting proteins, and prepare protein suitable for structural analysis. ..
- JEOL JEM-1011 Transmission Electron MicroscopeDennis Brown; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Polyamine metabolism in heart and kidney ischemic injuryManoocher Soleimani; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Prenatal Corticosteroid Impact on HippocampusLIBOR VELISEK; Fiscal Year: 2004..The data of this proposal will be critical for determining long-term adverse effects of multiple course prenatal corticosteroid therapy and for the ameliorating these effects in the offspring. ..
- Causal Analysis of Encouragement Design StudiesXiao Hua Zhou; Fiscal Year: 2004..In this proposal, we will develop a general statistical methodology for causal treatment analysis of the randomized EDS when data have a complicated structure. ..
- Regression Analysis of Health Care CostsXiao Hua Zhou; Fiscal Year: 2004..Furthermore, contributions will be demonstrated in the area of health services research by applying the proposed methods to analyze of total health care costs in four existing datasets. ..
- METABOLIC AND TRANSPORT PATHWAYS IN SKELETAL MUSCLERobert Forster; Fiscal Year: 2004..4) Determine the facilitation of CO2 diffusion in a thin electrolyte film containing slow oxidative cytosol or CA III, in support of Hypothesis 3. ..
- CHIMERIC RNA/DNA OLIGONUCLEOTIDE BASED GENE THERAPYYEONG HAU LIEN; Fiscal Year: 2003..This preclinical study will provide critical information for future development of optimal gene targeting therapy for treating hereditary renal diseases, such as autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease. ..